PDA

View Full Version : Electrobraid vs Parmak Wire

tucktaway
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:03 AM
Looking to add a strand to 3 board fencing. Tractor supply offers Electrobraid and the black and yellow Parmak wire; big difference? Good/bad experiences with either?
Familiar with Horseguard, but looking at other options for a large area/# of paddocks.
TIA

fooler
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:14 AM
Experience has taught me to pick the wide tape over the narrow tape. The horses seem to see and respect the wide tape.
More importantly I saw a horrible leg injury on a horse who got tangled up in smooth wire. So the big wide tape is better for my horses and me.

sk_pacer
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:53 AM
If you're just adding it to keep them off the existing fence, the Parmak, or even the store brand, will do just as well and at half the price; I've even used it alone for temporary fence although it doesn't fare well in the high winds we get here and long stretches of it need to be checked every single day, and more than that when the wind screams from any given direction for days on end.

tucktaway
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
Yes, just looking to keep them off fence.

ReSomething
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:07 PM
We have Eb and the cheap tape. For the permanent fencing we use the Eb, for anything temp or secondary we use the cheap tape. The yellow stuff lasts better that the thin white stuff - lasts longer in the sun anyway.

Mosey_2003
Jun. 7, 2012, 10:01 AM
I've seen the thin yellow tape used a fair bit, nobody I know was really pleased with it. Personally, I've had the off-brand Electrobraid type rope from Farm & Fleet up with t-posts for, oh...6 years now? Fared very well so far, just needed to tighten it a bit last year. I would go for off-brand Electrobraid if money's a consideration.

jcdice4
Jun. 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
We bought the Parmak brand of electric fence wire, the yellow and black kind. We did three strands on our existing fence posts and have been very pleased with it so far. I do have to say, however, that we've only had it up for about one month. Our one horse respected the boundaries and never had a problem with it. I don't see any problems arising from winds because it's so thin, but I do worry about visibility for other horses, who may need something more "in your face".

trail blazer
Jun. 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
I'm looking to do some interior fencing and want to use electric but I'm worried about visibility too - especially during night turnouts. How do you all handle it? I thought maybe the wide tape on top and then the braided for the lower strands? Ours are all big warmbloods and they will require a taller fence than the T posts. Any ideas besides all wood posts?

quarterhorse4me
Jun. 12, 2012, 08:37 AM
I use the Baygard electric rope from Valley Vet but I think TSC sells it also. The more expensive grade not the cheaper. The cheaper grade will disintegrate in the sun.

I live in a very high wind area and the tape blows and stretches too much. The rope can still be seen and last very well. I use three strands for taller horses and I had an escape artist at one time.