PDA

View Full Version : SLUGS! HELP ME!

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 6, 2012, 08:41 AM
The pasture where my horses are is moderately wet in areas. The slugs are out of control! I can't keep them out of the water tub, they get in their rubber feed pans and dry up in the sun, then I have to flick them out.

1) Is there concern about the horses' health because of the slugs???

2) How to deter them from going in the water, or maybe just vacationing somewhere else???

It's a multiple acre field, it's not like a small paddock.

SmartAlex
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
Surround the tub with a ring of diatomaeceous earth (purchase at garden store). Reapply after hard rain.

It shreds their tummies.

If you want to kill a whole bunch of them, go out in the evening, especially after a rain with a big salt shaker. Salt melts them.

EquineImagined
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
Beer. In little bowls or plastic dishes you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Apparently they just loooove beer, and are dumb enough to literally drown their sorrows in it. Had great success with slug problem at my Oma's house with this. She loved her garden, so did the slugs. Set out a few dishes of beer, soon no more slugs.

And salt.

oliverreed
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:52 AM
A big ditto on the beer. And salt. Yuck.

PRS
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
Ditto on the salt and/or diatomaeceous earth. My horses would just drink the beer :)

Donkaloosa
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
If you have gum tree seed balls, put those around areas where you don't want slugs --- same thing happens as with the diatomaeceous earth --- it shreds their slimy bellies. Beer works well, and putting salt on them, well, it's gross because they slime themselves to death, but can be very satisfying if they are driving you nuts!

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:53 AM
Are there any health concerns for the horses?

SmartAlex
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:29 AM
and putting salt on them, well, it's gross because they slime themselves to death, but can be very satisfying if they are driving you nuts!

:yes: Or driveways/parking areas are lined with about 150 RR Ties. The slugs live in the spike holes etc. After a rainstorm, we go out and kill them. After two years there is a significant decrease in numbers. We make one round, then when the stragglers come out to eat the foamy remains of the first batch, we salt those too!

Are there any health concerns for the horses?

Not that I'm aware of. Just gross and annoying.

Alagirl
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
I hear ducks like them.

But as far as I know there are no health concerns around slugs.

As long as they are around the water trof, not too bad. I thought they had invaded your garden. They can decimate certain plants!

JohnDeere
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:32 PM
Beer. In little bowls or plastic dishes you don't mind chucking afterwards.

Apparently they just loooove beer, and are dumb enough to literally drown their sorrows in it. Had great success with slug problem at my Oma's house with this. She loved her garden, so did the slugs. Set out a few dishes of beer, soon no more slugs.

And salt.

Mom used to by beer for slugs. Since she was a preachers wife the biddys in the store looked shocked. :lol:

nashfad
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:48 PM
When I hear my electric fence shorting out it is usually a slug has crawled up there and fried itself.

Kestrel
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:11 PM
You can also put copper banding around water tubs and such. I doubt that the slugs themselves would cause any problem for the horses, since we eat snails without any physical harm. If the dead, dried ones are covered with salt, they might make crunchy snacks for the horses - and they can wash them down with the beer.

cgn38
Jun. 7, 2012, 07:31 AM
My horse got Potomoc Horse Fever last fall (rare in my area), and the vet said that the slugs could have passed it to the horse after he ingested one. I had lots of slugs in my pasture last year, and this year is even worse!

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 7, 2012, 07:38 AM
My horse got Potomoc Horse Fever last fall (rare in my area), and the vet said that the slugs could have passed it to the horse after he ingested one. I had lots of slugs in my pasture last year, and this year is even worse!

^ This is what I was worried about!

Can I just buy cheap salt by the bag at like Tractor Supply, and sprinkle it everywhere in the location of their water tub and feed dishes? They are so disgusting.

Zu Zu
Jun. 7, 2012, 07:58 AM
EEEWWW Jingles for the SLUGS to slim away and DIE ! :eek::yes:

Alagirl
Jun. 7, 2012, 08:08 AM
^ This is what I was worried about!

Can I just buy cheap salt by the bag at like Tractor Supply, and sprinkle it everywhere in the location of their water tub and feed dishes? They are so disgusting.

Salt does damage the vegetation if used in large amounts. Plus it will disolve rather quickly.

However, you won't need THAT much, salt is cheap enough were you can buy a box at the grocery store.

Sand, sawdust and copper wire are more permanent.

andylover
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:59 PM
I found a ziplock bag filled with a beer placed inside of a glass container - like a mason jar and hand picking the slugs worked best.. i would usually use a stick to pick up the slugs and then slide it along the rim of the glass inside the ziplock bag and the slug slides right in. the cool thing is after you have picked the slugs up, you can zip up the bag and throw it out.. leaving beer bowls etc on the ground works, but i found my lab would drink the beer even with the dead slugs in it.. sorry that was just too too much for me.. eewww

LauraKY
Jun. 8, 2012, 09:21 AM
I used to have the neighborhood kids out slug hunting at dusk armed with flashlights and spray bottles of vinegar. Vinegar will kill them too...I didn't want that much salt in my garden.

Reagan
Jun. 8, 2012, 09:31 AM
I've heard pennies work for your garden, I'm about to try it because they are eating away at everything. I wonder if you could take $5 worth of pennies and sprinkle them around. I doubt the horses would eat them.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:25 PM
Where I would be sprinkling salt I don't care if it kills the vegetation. It's just in their water/feed pan area near the gate. For the rest of the field the horses don't seem to mind the slugs so they can deal with them!

didgery
Jun. 8, 2012, 01:55 PM
My ducks love slugs. Our strawberries are way healthier this year than ever before, and I think that's why.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 8, 2012, 02:49 PM
If I put ducks where the problem area is, they would be run over by cars. The pasture runs along a pretty busy dirt road, and people drive like they're in the Daytona 500. It's also not in the farm yard area, but across the street.

Jealoushe
Jun. 8, 2012, 03:05 PM

Same here....about 5 years ago :(

The slime on the grass is known to cause potomic.

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
Great...

Is there a vaccine?

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
Or a treatment?

What are the symptoms?

Charliezmom
Jun. 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
I am so glad you asked about slug eradication. Tonight I went into the feed room and had slugs everywhere. Luckily they didn't make it into the feed bin, but so gross. I was also worried about any diseases they might be carrying.

There is a vaccine for Potomac. My horses received it while we lived in Central Virginia since it was an issue there. I'm not sure on the symptoms but I got the sense from my vets that the vaccine was pretty effective. You may want to check with your clinic and see if they have seen any cases in the general area.

Mtn trails
Jun. 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
Slugs are our state inverterbrate out here in the PNW :D Not really, hate the little buggers. Sluggo works good and is animal friendly, also ditto the beer. I'm in the process of making some beer slug traps. They have absolutely decimated my bush beans and my hostas and pansys are getting munched. I'm going to get the diatomaceous earth and give that a go. We get those huge banana slugs out here, the ones that are yellow-brown with spots - yuck!

SuckerForHorses
Jun. 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Maybe they are what is eating my mom's garden...

SmartAlex
Jun. 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
Last year I couldn't figure out why all the cucumber transplants had mysteriously died. I finally found teeny tiny baby slugs. You could have lined two of them up head to tail on a grain of rice. You could barely see them, but they were eating the stems. Nasty little buggers.

This year, I put a blop of diatomaceous earth around each cuke. No problem. In fact I put it around a lot of things. I have virtually harmless dust and I'm NOT afraid to use it :lol: