PDA

View Full Version : New run in shed... horses chewing on it... suggestions

M.K.Smith
Jun. 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
Any ideas on how to keep munchers from enjoying run in shed?

http://www.horizonstructures.com/run-in-sheds.asp

They're in a field full of grass, but seem to feel the need to taste the shed... errr... Priority #1 something that will work! Would love something easy to apply, not too expensive, and that will last. Ideally, something that will discolor the wood, but that is not the top priority.

Superminion
Jun. 6, 2012, 08:26 AM
A professional horseman....Boyd Martin maybe??... said that every horse needs to ingest a good amount of wood to help ensure a proper diet. ;)

We tried everything with our mares, who are obsessive beavers. We put hot sauce, motor oil, vaseline, and chew-stop on the wood and nothing really helped. They'd stop for a few days, then be right back at it again, but your guys might not be so hard core.

The two that were the worst used to knaw on the top board of their stall divider until my BO's husband ran a small metal pipe over the top. They haven't chewed it since, and just stick to fence posts and my mare will chew on sticks.

I'd try the hot sauce/motor oil/chew-stop first though. I think that there is a supplement that you can buy as well that helps, but we've never used it so I couldn't tell you if it worked or not.

fordtraktor
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:15 AM
YOu can get metal strips to cover the surfaces -- plain 90 degree angled edging. That helps significantly, much better than painting something on it.

Alternatively, when mine start to chew in a field full of grass I give them each a week's worth of blue pop rocks. That stops it cold. I think many horses chew because of minor gastrointestinal imperfections. :)

Nlevie
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, we also nailed on the metal strips and that seems to do it for ours.

birdsong
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:09 PM
I had aluminum caps made for the rails in the stalls...angle iron would be the same!

Edgewood
Jun. 6, 2012, 01:20 PM
I have 5 of those sheds, ranging from 10 years old to 2 years old. Unless you put metal over the battens, they will chew on them (I know full well!).

The only caveat is that our 5th shed, which is 2 years old, we ordered specifically with oak battens instead of pine battens. Two years later and no chew marks at all!!!

Took us a while to learn. The oak battens were only $150 more for the whole shed (but they were making the shed at the time, not refitting it).

We ordered ours from Eberly barns, and previous to that J&N Structures (who is the manufacturer and I believe supplies the sheds to Horizon Structures too).

Any shed ordered in the future will have oak battens for sure!

hosspuller
Jun. 6, 2012, 02:56 PM
In a pasture full of clover and grass, mine stand in the shade of the run-in shed and chew the wood. Steel strip bent to an angle, nailed to the top edges have stopped the Equine/beaver. :D

kathy s.
Jun. 6, 2012, 05:34 PM
Nothing I used worked with mine until out of desperation, I tried pruning spray. Works great!

cowboymom
Jun. 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
we put motor oil on ours, stopped it immediately. DH also had access to clean used hydraulic oil from work and that also stopped it pronto.

They won't chew it hence they won't eat any of it hence it is reasonably safe.

MafiaPrincess
Jun. 6, 2012, 05:54 PM
Do they have free choice salt? Lack of salt sometimes cause ours to beaver.

Incantation
Jun. 6, 2012, 07:11 PM
The only thing I have found to work well is Irish Spring or Zest soap rubbed on the wood. You have to reapply it regularly though.

Mosey_2003
Jun. 7, 2012, 09:04 AM
Try supplementing copper first and making sure they can get full use of their salt block. If that doesn't help I'd go with covering with metal.

ljo
Jun. 7, 2012, 10:27 AM
I've heard bute paste works really well.

cloudy18
Jun. 7, 2012, 11:47 AM
We tried the soap, the motor oil, the spray you buy. All temporary. I gave my horse some probiotic powder on his grain for awhile and that stopped it. I would make sure they have free choice minerals and maybe try things other people posted along those lines, and cover what you can with metal. It's an annoying habit!

kasjordan
Jun. 7, 2012, 11:54 AM
When we camp, if we have a horse playing beaver on a nearby tree- we use cheap dollar store perfume and spray all over the tree. Works like a charm! Won't be long term, but they might be chewing it because it's something new- that would stop the habit before it forms.

hosspuller
Jun. 7, 2012, 01:38 PM
In a pasture full of clover and grass, mine stand in the shade of the run-in shed and chew the wood. Steel strip bent to an angle, nailed to the top edges have stopped the Equine/beaver. :D

PS ... they're standing next to a mineral salt block as they chew on the shed. :confused: