PDA

View Full Version : More Slaughters in Florida

Lori T
Jun. 5, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hi, all!
I have been in touch with Brogan Horton, of the Animal Rescue Unit. She was recently back in Miami, investigating not only more illegal horse slaughters, but the slaughter of any animal...dogs, birds, cats, you name it. They are being dumped by the hundreds and are suffering horrible fates.
She states that all of south Florida is being affected....even Tampa.
We need to help her...contact media, rescue groups are needed to take in animals and fundraising.
I have offered to hold a fund raiser for her in Orlando. She is coming here on June 29 on her way to south Florida.
I am in the process of locating a venue, contacting media and getting it set up. Anyone interested, please contact me! You can also contact Brogan on facebook.

Lori T
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:45 AM
Wow..over 100 views and not one response?
If you are in Florida....this affects you. Any one of us could have our horse stolen from their stall or pasture and slaughtered, alive, on the spot.
We all need to do everything we can to end this now.
Really disappointed at the lack of response.

Superminion
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
Is there a direct link that you would be willing to provide, so I can do FB shares? I blog as well, and would be happy to include details on there as well.

I'm up North, but have some friends in the FL area that might be intrested.

Lynnwood
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:59 AM
Last I was aware especially in South East FL. ARM and Richard Couto was a main source of investigation and prosecution for some of the Santaria sacrafices and the illegal horse slaughter and meat sales.

Do you have other cases /evidence of this happening in areas outside of that general area?

Lori T
Jun. 6, 2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.mtv.com/videos/world-of-jenks-ep-5-freedoms-flight/1649260/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=31526&channelId=1

This is video of Brogan on the World of Jenks last year.
Brogan used to work with Richard. I don't know the details of why she isn't anymore.
As soon as I have all the details, I will provide a link. Am trying to find a venue to hold it at.

Lori T
Jun. 6, 2012, 02:04 PM
Last I was aware especially in South East FL. ARM and Richard Couto was a main source of investigation and prosecution for some of the Santaria sacrafices and the illegal horse slaughter and meat sales.

Do you have other cases /evidence of this happening in areas outside of that general area?

Apparently it is going on as far north as Tampa.

wendy
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:14 PM
what, exactly, is she doing to fight this that might motivate us to want to contribute? in general, a problem with people illegally stealing and killing horses is a matter for law enforcement, not animal rescues/ private donations.

your original post doesn't make much sense- illegal horse slaughter, then all of sudden we have cats and dogs in need of homes?

Frizzle
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
what, exactly, is she doing to fight this that might motivate us to want to contribute? in general, a problem with people illegally stealing and killing horses is a matter for law enforcement, not animal rescues/ private donations.

your original post doesn't make much sense- illegal horse slaughter, then all of sudden we have cats and dogs in need of homes?

Unfortunately, law enforcement down here is very, very understaffed given the vast amount of crime we have. So, of course things like animal abuse/neglect etc. aren't given a ton of time or money. When you have drug lords & violent criminals to track down, animal issues are going to be pretty far down on the list of priorities. So, yes, we do need other people to pick up the cause and do the work. And that takes time and $$.

I'm not sure which post you're referring to, but I do see why the OP would also bring up strays. It's just a different world down here--I see strays on an almost daily basis. This is all related--there is a huge population here that just does not respect or value animals. They're seen as disposable.

Lori T
Jun. 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately, law enforcement down here is very, very understaffed given the vast amount of crime we have. So, of course things like animal abuse/neglect etc. aren't given a ton of time or money. When you have drug lords & violent criminals to track down, animal issues are going to be pretty far down on the list of priorities. So, yes, we do need other people to pick up the cause and do the work. And that takes time and $$.

I'm not sure which post you're referring to, but I do see why the OP would also bring up strays. It's just a different world down here--I see strays on an almost daily basis. This is all related--there is a huge population here that just does not respect or value animals. They're seen as disposable.

Yes...this is exactly why she is involved. Nobody wants to do this. And while her main focus are the horses, there are so many other animals down there in horrible conditions, she is doing what she can to help them too. Last week she not only took video of illegal slaughter houses, but she helped rescue a bunch of dogs.
Interestingly, today, SPCA called me to update my information from when I ran a non-profit horse rescue. I told them I had closed the doors 2 years ago. I then mentioned what was happening in Miami and if there was anything they could do. She said that they don't do that! Really? Silly me, here I thought the SPCA stood for the Society of PREVENTION of CRUELTY to animals! Wow! So as you can see, if the SPCA doesn't care what is happening down there, there aren't many who do care. These people that are doing this are a whole different kind of element. Brogan has a bounty out on her. If you watch the jenks video, you will see what she is up against.
So why get involved? When I had to shut my rescue doors 2 years ago (lack of funding, time and energy), I still wanted to help other rescues. I have followed Brogan on facebook. What she does is amazing. She is couragous and has the guts to face these slimeballs. Anyone of us in Florida can be affected by this..it is not just in Miami anymore. My daughter is in Tampa and if she stays there after she graduates in August and brings a horse down there, that horse is at risk. Orlando is not too far from Tampa. I don't want to have to worry about any of my horses being slaughtered, while alive, in their stall. That is why she is a cause I have decided to help. I have been laid off and money is tight...my husband, God Bless Him, is supporting my horses right now. I don't have the extra money to give her, but I can organize a fund raiser for her and help her raise some funds to help her cause. If anyone agrees with what she is doing, they are free to donate to her cause, or help me organize the fundraiser. I need a location and items for a silent auction. It is a short time to plan all this, but hey! I don't have anything going on right now!

danceronice
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:13 PM
1. You have to be a 501(c)3 or under the auspices of one to fundraise on COTH.

2. As far as the illegal slaughter goes, that IS a matter for local law enforcement. The SPCA is not law enforcement in most places. At most, a county shelter (ie NOT the SPCA) might be part of the sheriff's department in some places. If they are not pursuing it very actively, that usually means not that they are big meanie poopieheads who don't care about animals but that they are not operating with an unlimited budget and have bigger fish to fry (gee, wonder what THAT might be in south Florida...) I would suspect they would also NOT be encouraging of civilian efforts to pursue a potentially dangerous investigation, either, or enabling the would-be vigilante.

3. And while I can appreciate wanting to get people locally to help, I would bet of those 100 views you complained didn't reply, maybe two were in Florida. Since most people on this board aren't anywhere near you, you're probably not going to have much luck finding fosters as the majority of people are too far away and have plenty of needy animals nearby needing shelter and funding.

Lori T
Jun. 6, 2012, 09:36 PM
1. You have to be a 501(c)3 or under the auspices of one to fundraise on COTH.

2. As far as the illegal slaughter goes, that IS a matter for local law enforcement. The SPCA is not law enforcement in most places. At most, a county shelter (ie NOT the SPCA) might be part of the sheriff's department in some places. If they are not pursuing it very actively, that usually means not that they are big meanie poopieheads who don't care about animals but that they are not operating with an unlimited budget and have bigger fish to fry (gee, wonder what THAT might be in south Florida...) I would suspect they would also NOT be encouraging of civilian efforts to pursue a potentially dangerous investigation, either, or enabling the would-be vigilante.

3. And while I can appreciate wanting to get people locally to help, I would bet of those 100 views you complained didn't reply, maybe two were in Florida. Since most people on this board aren't anywhere near you, you're probably not going to have much luck finding fosters as the majority of people are too far away and have plenty of needy animals nearby needing shelter and funding.

First off, I am not asking for money. No where in my post am I asking for money. I am asking for help in locating a venue to hold this and for fosters and rescue groups.

When the police, and other officials don't want to get involved, for whatever reason, then sometimes people have to do whatever they can to change that. Because of Richard and Brogan's actions over the last few years, 2 people have been convicted in the illegal slaughters and a law has been passed. If it weren't up to them, it is highly likely that never would have happened.

And don't underestimate how many people are on this board who are in Florida.

It is a shame that this used to be a great place to go for times of needing help. Now if you ask for help, one is attacked and their motives questioned. I am simply trying to help someone out who is doing something positive in this world, something that can affect every one of us who lives in Florida. And if you don't live in Florida, you should still be aware of what goes on here, because it is horrifying and should not happen any where, especially in the United States.

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:22 PM
Lori, maybe someone should contact Animal Planet's Animal Cops Miami and ask them to do a special on this. They'll ignore the issue because it's a cultural problem and like all other AR types, they would prefer to go after law-abiding people that give a damn. It's a nasty can of worms.

Lynnwood
Jun. 6, 2012, 10:58 PM
Lori, maybe someone should contact Animal Planet's Animal Cops Miami and ask them to do a special on this. They'll ignore the issue because it's a cultural problem and like all other AR types, they would prefer to go after law-abiding people that give a damn. It's a nasty can of worms.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner better to seize the pretty paint horse with a case of rain rot then ..get on your belly in the woods with the Alligators , snakes and bugs and watch for real criminals who might fight back.