PDA

View Full Version : Recently moved to Phoenix, AZ looking for barns

Moosecup101
Jun. 5, 2012, 01:13 PM
My daughter just moved to Tempe with her SO. Having had to put her own horse down this winter, and giving up her barn management job(s) to move with him, she is feeling a bit lost without her horse life.

She has researched the AZ dressage & eventing scene, but is having trouble getting someone to even respond to her request to take lessons, much less finding another horse job, which she already knew would be very hard to do coming into a new area. Obviously, she would need a facility that has lesson horses.

She’s getting the feeling that the entire scene goes dormant in the summer due to heat....is this the case?

Are there any places she should stay away from? Or any you would recommend that has lesson horses? Please feel free to PM me. She discovered that one place recommended to her is in the process of shutting down due to foreclosure.

Thanks everyone!

JLR1
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry your daughter is having trouble getting responses. The dressage scene is alive and well year round...the problem is that most of the big barns in the Phoenix area are training barns and don't have a lesson horse program. I am assuming that is why she hasn't had a return phone call. I would suggest she go visit some of the facilities she was interested in and have a look around and talk to the trainers and boarders. Possibly there is a lesson opportunity, or at the very least they may be able to point her in the right direction. This time of year it's best to plan visits before noon...most everyone starts their day really early this time of year:).

Samotis
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:34 AM
Alice Sarno at desert sport horses does dressage and cross country. I do hunter/jumper so I don't know anything about her, but she came up when I searched.

netg
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:51 AM
I don't know of anything in the Tempe area. I'm from Tucson, so wouldn't know as well as someone in the area, but I mostly know Scottsdale and Cave Creek areas which are fairly far away.

rivenoak
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:29 PM
PM sent.:)

Bells
Jun. 6, 2012, 01:06 PM
She might have some luck posting on this group's forum: http://www.azbackcountryriders.com/ She will have to join. They have a lot of members and will be helpful.