PDA

View Full Version : Quick, easy, inexpensive temporary fence ideas

okggo
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:38 AM
We have a horse here shorter-term that only gets along with ONE of our other horses. We tried them together and in various patterns, and this horse likes to pin the others in corners and kick at them (not cool). So we have had the two of them seperated from the main herd in an 8 acre pasture, no biggie. Problem is, our mares/foals are coming home soon - and that is the mare/foal field.

My preference, rather than risk anyone getting injured, is to temporarily fence an area where these two can go. I know there are portable paddock solutions. I really do not feel like driving t-posts and running electric fence that we'll be yanking right back up in a couple of months. Just looking for ideas!!

Sonesta
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:54 AM
Just buy the step-in posts for the electric tape and go with that. There is nothing easier to put in, set up and take down than that.

cowboymom
Jun. 5, 2012, 10:19 AM
Electric!

mpsbarnmanager
Jun. 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
Just buy the step-in posts for the electric tape and go with that. There is nothing easier to put in, set up and take down than that.

:yes:

ReSomething
Jun. 5, 2012, 11:10 AM
Yep, just put in some step ins and tape last night for a couple of subdividers. And furthermore they aren't even hot, although I can electrify the tape with about an hour more work.

Bacardi1
Jun. 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
Just out of curiousity, don't you still have to drive a ground pole/stake like 5 feet into the ground for these to work? I've often wanted to try some of these semi-temporary electric fences to divide up my pasture areas, but with our brutal rocky/clay soil, I really doubt I'd be able to drive the ground pole as deep as it's supposed to be.

Simbalism
Jun. 6, 2012, 02:08 AM
I use the step ins and a battery operated charger for a portable paddock when camping. I rarely get the ground rod in more than about 5-6 inches and it works fine.

JB
Jun. 6, 2012, 08:46 AM
Horseguard temp electric fence kit. I know you said you don't want electric, but you're really going to have to do that if you don't have board.

Plus, the kit comes with fiberglass posts - pound in with a t-post pounder, much easier to get up than t-posts. Safer too.

I've used some version of that for all my temp fencing, and the kit was the first thing I got. You'll just need a charger and you're good to go!