PDA

View Full Version : More help goat/sheep peeps......

spook1
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:17 PM
Hi All
My nanny goat is not doing good. I have spent close to 1K in 3 weeks on her and the vet is not hopeful. But we are trying one more week of meds before making the desision to PTS. Her sole purpose in life is to keep my horse company. For this task she has her own nicely bedded stall and good feed and hay. And she has been a great goat.

So if I have to replace her would a sheep be ok ? I know almost nothing of goats and less of sheep. There is a Blackbellied sheep breeder very close and they have a neutered male. I am not looking for a pet per se just a companion for my horse.
Any thoughts would be very much appericated.:)
T.I.A.

leaf
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:35 PM
Poor Nanny.
Would a sheep seem like a totally different animal to your horse? I think it really could. Horse is missing it's goatie, and a strange creature comes along? Guess your horse would get used to it.
But you have to shear the sheep, and that's a bitch.

spook1
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:49 PM
I was thinking I should get another one now before/if I have to pts my nannie. It is bad I have had her for 7 yrs I didn't think I was really attached to the goat because she wasn't a very friendly goat. But was so good with any horse I put her with. I just can't spend much more in vet bills with a very unsure outcome. Not to meantion her discomfort. I didn't even think about having to sheer a sheep..:eek:Thank you!!

cowboymom
Jun. 4, 2012, 10:33 PM
By and large, after having goats and living on a sheep ranch, goats are a more sensible and confident companion. I know some sheep can make good buddies but I always think part of what horses like about goats is that they're confident and calm under most circumstances. Sheep are just a little different; I've had bum lambs that grew to pet sheep and they're similar to goats so you could maybe transition just fine... but I like goats better. They think more, for better or for worse. Plus what's good for sheep is not good for horses necessarily. Goats can have horse feed and grain and never have a problem but sheep and horses can't share mineral (sheep can't have copper). Then there is the whole shearing issue which is a real pain nowadays. If you get the sheep make sure and make a shearing connection at that time.

What's wrong with your nanny? Have you looked at the fiascofarms website? It's hard to find a good goat vet....

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with her, I have it when one of my goats don't make it! :(

Wayside
Jun. 5, 2012, 12:19 AM
I didn't even think about having to sheer a sheep..:eek:Thank you!!

If you got a Blackbelly, you wouldn't have to shear it. Blackbellies are hair sheep, and they shed like my Katahdins do. They also have personalities that are a little more goat-like than some of the wool breeds. They think more, and mine are quite social and interactive. And they smell better than goats, imo :lol:

I love my sheep, and my horses get along with them really well, too. The biggest down side is that they can't share a TM block because of the copper, as cowboymom mentioned.

spook1
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hi
My nanny passed away last night. I didn't realize sheep would have a issue with eating horse feed. Though I don't feed my goat hore feed there is always a chance the sheep would get what the horse drops.
Thank you:)

Bacardi1
Jun. 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi All
I know almost nothing of goats and less of sheep. :)

So let me get this straight. You've had this goat for 7 years, yet you STILL "know almost nothing of goats"???????????? And you put a "smiley face" after this comment?????

Seriously??? You've had this animal all this time & never took the time to learn something about it???

I seriously feel sorry for the next goat or - heaven forbid - sheep that you buy & can't be bothered to learn about, simply to be a companion for your horsey. :rolleyes:

maunder
Jun. 5, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry that you've lost your goat. I have both goats and sheep and find that they are incredibly fragile creatures that require a lot of maintenance and veterinary care. My goats are with the horses and my sheep live in my back yard due to my little ewe being disabled (birth defects). You wouldn't have had this problem with a doe, but if you get a neutered sheep or goat (wether) then you'd need to be very careful about feeding. The wethers are susceptible to urinary calculi and have different feeding requirements than the does. They shouldn't have much grain and nothing rich in the way of treats.

As far as sheep as a companion instead of goats, I'd have to say that it depends on the personality of the sheep. I have a Icelandic wether that was raised with horses and he's a bold fellow and would do fine with mine. He's personable and friendly. I'd be a bit nervous though, putting a lamb in with a horse...the lambs are just so small.

Plainandtall
Jun. 5, 2012, 01:42 PM
Maunder- I think she did have a doe... I think it's a jump to assume what it was that caused her nanny to get sick.

Bacardi- I'm shocked about how mean your post was. She just lost a pet- she spent a grand on the vet before her goat died... after living seven happy healthy years yes as a companion for her horse- you say that with such venom- as if the friendship between those two animals was some sort of racist servitude.

Spook- I hope you have a thick enough skin to ignore what Bacardi just said- on the day after you lost a loved pet- you sure don't need to be flame baited. I'm sorry about your nanny.

I think that goats do better than sheep in hanging out with people and horses. I have Angora goats, they are not as gregarious as the dairy breeds- but more so than most sheep... and they also need shearing... but are lovely lovely animals and the males are not as smelly (hardly at all) as the respective dairy breed males.

spook1
Jun. 5, 2012, 02:03 PM
So let me get this straight. You've had this goat for 7 years, yet you STILL "know almost nothing of goats"???????????? And you put a "smiley face" after this comment?????

Seriously??? You've had this animal all this time & never took the time to learn something about it???

I seriously feel sorry for the next goat or - heaven forbid - sheep that you buy & can't be bothered to learn about, simply to be a companion for your horsey. :rolleyes:

Well No worries Barcadi I have good vets. I understand your self righteousness.... I deal with peeps like you on a daily basis.

No....... I have no real interest in learning much more then basic care of goats. I am not into breeding, showing or eating them. My goat was very well cared for. Feet done on a reg basis,Good feed (not the cheapest on the shelf) good hay (not crappy grass hays) vac and wormed. My vet was very happy with her daily living conditions. Not very goat has there own 10x10 freshly bedded stall with a custom door so she had total access without having the horse getting in there. She wasn't neglected in any way. I spent 1k in 3 weeks trying to save her in the end there was nothing to be done. She had a uterine tumor. My only regret is I didn't follow the "Better one day sooner then later" rule. Though my vet said that she may have been uncomfortable but not in dire pain so. She was buried with my little dog...(who was 15yrs...imgaine that !) with her winter blanket for comfort into the next world...Loseing a animal is sad and I am very upset she is gone. Though she was not a friendly goat she had personailtity and I was way more attached to her then I realized. So.. #$%^ off.

And to everyone else who has posted suggestions and helpful information..........Thank you!:)..........hince the smiley faces that some peeps are opposed to.

Wayside
Jun. 5, 2012, 02:17 PM
So sorry for your loss, spook1.

I did a lot of reading and talking to DH's uncle (who raises sheep) before getting my sheep, but I still feel like I know very little about them because my sheep knowledge is so much less than my horse knowledge.

D Taylor
Jun. 5, 2012, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your goat.

I grew up with sheep and cattle. Sheep are sheep. Tho every once in a while a bottle lamb seemed to grow a personality for the most part they are indifferent to people.

I raised goats for years. Goats on the other hand in general are much more social to people and the horses they provide companionship for. Some too smart for their own good.....hence that personality you refered to maybe. Years back a friend had a companion goat for her horse at a stable I boarded at. That goat had to sample every freshly opened bag of feed. She was both loved and hated by everyone as she was always getting into things....but making us laugh at the same time.

I am also sorry others seem to feel their hostile words here are appropriate. Sounds like your goat lived vey well and any future replacement companion lucky to have such a life.

horseshrink
Jun. 5, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have 1 sheep (what's the singular?) that lives with my 1 horse. Clarice and my mare share the barn, pasture, and paddocks. They go everywhere together. Didn't realize they were so attached until I tried to separate them one day. It's a pain in the butt when I have to take my mare to a horse show and leave Claire behind for the day.

But, other than that I LOVE my little lamb. Well.....I guess....she's....not..so..little. Think we may have overfed her a tad. I don't know how to post pictures.

aspenlucas
Jun. 5, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm so sorry. I wish you lived closer. I have some boy nubian babies I'm trying to find homes for. I vote for goat over sheep, they are so much more fun!

spook1
Jun. 5, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hi All,
I want apologize for the blew up at one particular poster. They caught me at a bad moment. I am normally a very thick skinned person. I feel a bit bad that I blew up as I am really not one to lose my composure.

There is a un measurable about of knowledge on the CoTH that is why I look here for questions and answers. I want to Thank All who have posted.

I think I will stick with a goat...nanny or wether since sheep seem to have more of a issue if they get horse feed. My vet called me back about the second round of bloodwork for info sake. He advised that it had nothing to do with care provided in anyway that these things happen. He also said he will call if he comes across a goat in need of a home.

Thank you all again for your in put. I love this board ....yes even the flamers.....

maunder
Jun. 5, 2012, 05:39 PM
Maunder- I think she did have a doe... I think it's a jump to assume what it was that caused her nanny to get sick..

I know that she had a doe. She mentioned maybe getting a boy sheep to keep her horse company and this is what I was referring to when I talked about urinary calculi.

The OP mentioned not knowing a lot about sheep or goats so this is why I offered the information.