PDA

View Full Version : Truck question...

RedmondDressage
Jun. 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm not very mechanically inclined so I thought I would put it out there to COTH...

I have a 1989 F250 that has served me well but I'm on a casual search to upgrade. I found a REALLY nice looking 2004 F250 that cosmetically looks perfect and is for sale for a great price. It has a brand new engine with 12,000 miles on it but the ad says it has 250k on the chassis... I've never heard anything about mileage on the chassis... If I decide to have a look I'll definitely ask about the transmission mileage as I *do* know that is something to be concerned about... But is there any issue with it having that many miles on the chassis? Anything else I should be concerned about knowing that it had high mileage prior to the new engine being put in?

Rabtfarm
Jun. 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
Concerns would be things that rust out and need replacing on a chassis: things like radiators and fuel tanks, fuel pumps and brake lines, and the shocks, etc. After that I would be concerned about the degree of rust on the frame and whether it would fail an inspection soon because of that. Most of this should become readily apparent should you have the truck up on a lift with an experienced mechanic to inspect it. The usuals should be looked at too: brakes and tires. Also after 250k miles, alot of things may not work, so run the wipers, the windows, check all the doors and locks, indicator/dash lights, etc...heater and AC...

pds
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:43 AM
Is it a diesel? 2004 Ford diesels were known to have major issues. Particularly with the injectors. I had one so I speak from experience. I'd pass if it is a 2004 diesel.

wildlifer
Jun. 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
A 2004? Run away. Especially with that weird combination. I learned my lesson about things that sound weird the hard way -- they ARE weird and suck thousands of dollars out of you before you can get rid of them.

BasqueMom
Jun. 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
Don't forget front end issues--ball joints, tie rods, etc. Any chance of seeing
the vehicles maintenance records?

mvp
Jun. 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
It means the truck had a new engine put in it 12K ago.

If it was a 6.0 or 6.4, don't go there. IMO, that engine plus a truck with 250K isn't worth very much. At all.