PDA

View Full Version : DYI horse grooming stocks

jacksmom
Jun. 4, 2012, 02:42 PM
I want to task the very handy Jacksdad to build us a stock. As the owner of some rather mangled looking toes myself, I'd like to spare my kids the same fate and I think that the stocks would help with that and increasing the time they can spend with me and the horses.

Of course I have 3 of very different builds sizes, pony to warmblood,so I need a set that will work for all of them. Does anyone have measurements or photos of some they've built?

Bluey
Jun. 4, 2012, 02:49 PM
I welded these 40+ years ago from old 5" and 2 3/3" well pipe we had laying around:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/Robintoo/IMG_3071.jpg

The sides are pinned and come out if necessary.
We use a thick cotton rope on both ends to keep a horse in there.

They are portable, on skids, just tie them to something solid and their own weight keeps them there.
In this barn, they are chained to the length of pipe there, front and back.
We move them around with the tractor.

We used them for many years for preg-checking mares and most any other.

Work well to bathe young ones, as they can't wiggle around much.

jacksmom
Jun. 4, 2012, 03:25 PM
Nice Bluey.

I'm afraid welding isn't currently in the skill set, so ours would likely be done with fence posts and rails in a permanent locale. Do you know what the measurements are on yours?

Bluey
Jun. 4, 2012, 07:33 PM
Ours are 7' tall, 7' long and inside 30" and had big, very pregnant mares and little yearlings there and all fit fine.

They are open enough that, if a horse wanted to have a fit in there, they don't have much to get hurt with and you can access just about any part of a horse you may want to work on.

For just grooming stocks in public barns, I have seen some made about 3' tall only, in a U, where you walk a horse in there, just wrap the lead on the front, wash it and then back it out.

Bluey
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:38 PM
Here is a commercial one, the sides open like gates, so you can get a horse in there from either side and shut them in there, if they are giving trouble walking in there straight thru, or a horse starts to fight and go down, you can open the side:

http://www.priefert.com/ProductDetails/horse-equipment-49/horse-stock-325/hs