PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Feral animal injured

Wonders12
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
A friend has some new feral cats with kittens at her property. She also has some padio chairs like this at the barn:
http://www.100furnituresets.com/modern-furniture/adirondack-reclining-chair-black-outdoor-chairs-p-17181.html?osCsid=s8a4hgsn0hg3gu9gbaul28hio2

We walk out to feed and there's a kitten hanging upside down on the back of the chair with his leg stuck thought the back. The poor little guy is literally hanging there! :eek:

He won't let me grab him so I grab a bareback pad and try to scoop is body up and out. Well he's just screaming that horrible cat scream and twisting himself around. I'm worried he's going to hurt himself more. Friend comes out with a towel, takes my end with the bareback pad and I try to get his leg unstuck. The leg is STUCK and not moving. Cat is still screaming. I'm seriously thinking that we're not going to get this cat out.

Well we did, but he wasn't using that back leg at all. I don't know if it's broken, but he ran off anyways.

What would you do in this situation? Especially if 1) you couldnt get him out or 2) his leg definitely was broken. I definitely couldnt just leave him there to hang to a miserable death, but for a while I really didn't know if we could get him out.

Do you leave them? Kill them somehow? Take chair and cat to the vet on Monday? It was unbelievably sad and I hope he makes it, but I can't help but wonder what other options would have been if it hadnt gone ok.

AKB
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:35 PM
I would have sawed the chair into pieces, if needed. Caring for the cat is a more difficult decision. Getting bitten by a feral cat who then runs off=rabies vaccine. I've had the pre-exposure vaccine so I guess I would take the chance of being bitten and then needing a rabies booster and an oral antibiotic. I would try to wrap the cat in a towel and then put it in a cage and go to the vet.

onelanerode
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:41 PM
Awww. :(

We had a feral cat manage to get his paw stuck between two boards in our wood privacy fence. He had a previous injury to that paw, and we'd seen him limping, but as he was feral, we weren't able to get anywhere near him. He wandered all over our neighborhood and I think a few people were feeding him.

Anyway, we wrapped him up in a towel to carry him from the fence to the garage, and then we put him in a box and took him to the emergency vet (of course this happened on a Sunday morning). He must have been in shock, because he did not struggle or cry out at all. :( I have no idea how long he was stuck there. We offered to pay to have him PTS if his injuries were severe enough to merit that, but the vet's office asked that we surrender him instead, so I'm hopeful that either his injuries were treatable or he had a quick end.

You do have to be really, really careful when handling injured wild animals though. :no:

mvp
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
So he's AWOL right now?

I might try to trap him and then take the whole Tasmanian Devil in a Cage to the vet tomorrow.

If you can catch him great. If you can't that's too bad for you and Wild Thing. But most of the time the life of a feral cat goes this way. Sometimes they do hide away and heal.

At least you got him out, eh?

Judysmom
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
Nothing constructive to add re your situation, agree with what others have said.

Just posting for a PSA:

Please be very, very careful handling feral cats/ kittens. Rabies is a real danger!

I worked for an emergency/referral hospital some time ago, and someone found this cute little kitten. Cute little kitten just wasn't right, and ended up hospitalized by our neurologist. Well, needless to say, baby kitty was pts (or died, don't remember) and because it had bit one of the staff before it died, the body got sent to the state lab. Anyway, it had RABIES, cute baby kitty did, and many of the staff had been exposed, as had its owners!

So please be aware and be careful!!!

K~2
Jun. 3, 2012, 07:24 PM
Cats are pretty amazing when it comes to orthopedic injuries. Trap him if you can, but it will most likely heal on its own.

TimeBandit
Jun. 3, 2012, 07:31 PM
In 07, I found a feral hanging on my Ford P/U with his hind leg stuck under the mirror bracket. No time to get a towel - he was throwing himself around so hard trying to get loose, that I feared he would rip the leg off.
I tried to scruff him - bad move! He twisted around and sunk his teeth into my hand right between the thumb and finger; and wrapped his front legs around my arm. Ouch is an understatement.
However, with him being occupied, I was able to get his leg freed, at which point we both hit the ground together. Me on my knees - him on three legs - running away from me.
I got lucky, no rabies. I did pour peroxide on it for the next week, and thankfully it did heal up just fine.
The cat survived, and he stayed around the farm, always hopping with that leg up in the air.
After about 3 or 4 months had passed, he actually got friendly with us and we were able to take him to the vet to have it looked at. Vet gave him his shots and neutered him, but said the leg had healed as good as it was going to.
We lost him in the winter of 08/09. Still miss the golden boy.

quarterhorse4me
Jun. 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
My feral barn cat showed up with an awful eye injury. We fed him so we were able to trap him and get him to the vet. He had to have is eye removed and we neutered him as well. He is now a house cat.

One time there was a cat with his head stuck in a jar in the middle of a five lane highway. I was able to catch him and get him in a pillow case which some onlookers brought to me. I had to take him to the vet to get the jar off. After the jar was off I took him to the animal shelter and surrendered him. I assume they euthanized him but it was better than suffering.

fordtraktor
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:50 AM
With cats, I would try to take them to the vet if possible but that ship has sailed for your kitty and I would just let him be. It's a good sign that it was able to scamper away.

I try to only incur veterinary fees for cats I can pet (i.e. obviously house cats that are down on their luck). That's where I've had to draw the line as we have a real dumping problem around here.

If an animal is clearly mortally injured (squirrel, rabbit with broken backs come to mind as my two most recent experiences) I off them with a hoe or shovel so they don't suffer. I had my dad come and shoot a deer that someone hit with a car near our house once too. If it can't get away, I'd rather kill it quickly myself than have the local coyote do it in what will probably be a more painful method.

witherbee
Jun. 4, 2012, 04:47 PM
We have a feral cat colony rescue here in Marion County FL. They loan traps and help you trap any ferals. They then spay/neuter, vaccinate, microchip, doctor up (pulled a bad tooth on the older tom cat we caught) and notch their ear. They then get released either back at your place, or at another cat colony. They ask you to take a class about keeping a feral cat colony if you plan to release them back at your place. I ended up with a feral female that had 5 kittens before I could catch her, and was lucky enough to catch her, the 5 kittens and the "baby daddy". Was able to tame and place the kittens with the help of another rescue here in town, and released the momma (who I named Mila Kunis for her exotic eyes lol!), the tom cat and kept little Harry Potter as an indoor cat. I would have tamed Mila, but while she will get on my lap and loves attention, she can still be very scary and cannot be picked up. She freaked the one time I did bring her in the house and I was afraid she'd hurt me or someone in the house, so she lives in our windows and shed most of the time and is treated like a queen.

I have to trap a new one that has shown up - an odd colored male with one badly damaged eye.

Good luck and maybe google for rescues in your area and see if there is something similar.

Megaladon
Jun. 4, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cats are pretty amazing when it comes to orthopedic injuries. Trap him if you can, but it will most likely heal on its own.

Agreed, broken legs can heal on cats quite well. Good luck and very nice of you to save him/her. :)

Epona142
Jun. 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
I had this almost exact same scenario happen - I was maybe 15, at my grandmother's and came across a kitten hung up in a chair.

Little monster bit me while I was getting him out, so I didn't let him go and we set him up in quarantine at the vet's.

He decided being a people cat was a much better option and became someone's fat happy pet.

jherold
Jun. 7, 2012, 11:38 AM
Cats heal. I had a wild one with a broken rear leg. She was living in the barn so I kept an eye on her. She moved pretty fast on 3 legs. Within 10 days, she was toe touching on it and a month later you couldn't tell that anything had happened. All I did was make sure I left food on the ground so she wouldn't have to jump on the usual dog crate to get to it.

meupatdoes
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:10 PM
All I did was make sure I left food on the ground so she wouldn't have to jump on the usual dog crate to get to it.

I love small kindnesses like this.

No biggie to you, but all the difference in the world to that cat.
:):)

Trakehner
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:20 PM
Sorry, I've got no use for feral cats (which are different than barn cats). They're the #1 killer of wildlife (birds/bunnies/anything smaller than they are)...they decimate the local fauna population.

They may be cute and fuzzy, but they're bad for the rest of the wildlife. A quick end will save a lot of animals and stop a lot of disease transmission.

candyappy
Jun. 7, 2012, 03:44 PM
Sorry, I've got no use for feral cats (which are different than barn cats). They're the #1 killer of wildlife (birds/bunnies/anything smaller than they are)...they decimate the local fauna population.

They may be cute and fuzzy, but they're bad for the rest of the wildlife. A quick end will save a lot of animals and stop a lot of disease transmission.

I agree 100%. Not to mention the disease they spread and the threat of rabies to human and other animals. I am glad you were able to free him, but I wouldn't allow any cat in my barn who isn't spayed and vaccinated. If I can't do that then my sons take care of it ( or the dogs).

re-runs
Jun. 8, 2012, 09:09 AM
"Sorry, I've got no use for feral cats (which are different than barn cats). They're the #1 killer of wildlife (birds/bunnies/anything smaller than they are)...they decimate the local fauna population."

I would say that the biggest killer of birds are WINDOWS. Windows in cities, highrises, windows in suburbia but worst probably are windows in the country. Those window walls are the worst. A simple coating could prevent it but, too much trouble I guess. Easier to blame feral cats. :no:

There wouldn`t be such a big feral cat population if the bigger brained species; the human, would spay and neuter and lock them up at nite. Easier to just blame it on the cats that didn`t choose to be born.

Sorry for the vent.

Rescuer of many feral cats who are now loved and cared for. :)

czgm7r
Jun. 8, 2012, 08:30 PM
I agree with re-runs. We(humans) are responsible for the existence of 'feral cats'. Bless the people who care enough to care for them.