PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live near a wind farm?

Forte
Jun. 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
After looking for what seems like ages, I think I've found the perfect farm. Fantastic house, fantastic set-up for horses. It's really my dream property. We have an accepted offer, home inspection went well yesterday and am just waiting to hear back regarding financing to close to the deal. However, I just found out that the property is in a study area for a wind turbine project. The wind company has gotten permission to build, they are just trying to get enough farmers signed up to lease their land to them. A couple of the farms who have signed up are just 2 km away from the farm I want to buy. More may still sign up. I am really concerned about this and am considering using my financing clause to get out of the deal. Anyone on this board live near a wind turbine? With the current farms that have signed up, I dont think I'll be able to see the wind turbines but I may be able to hear them. If more farmers sign up, I may end up having one right across the street. Does anyone hear live near one of these turbines? Are they as awful as they sound?

Snowflake
Jun. 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
I do!!! And really they're not that bad. They make a quiet "Woosh" noise and it's something you get very used to very quickly. My friend's farm is flanked by 4 of them and the horses are undisturbed. Their well water is fine and their property value hasn't decreased. The only valid complaint I heard was from a lady whose house was built in such a way that she got evening shadows cast from the turbine on the northwest side of her house. But, just close the blinds and all of that goes away.

Bluey
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:21 PM
We are part of a wind farm and they are building more around us all the time.
We are in prime wind farm country, no one here complains, has helped with the tax base and they honestly are no problem at all.

Now, we average about 1 person per square mile, so any one turbine is not very close or over someone's house.:eek:

I don't know what your distance may be, how big the turbines are, all that could make a difference if you want it to make one.
Most people here go about their life and business without any interference from the windfarms.

I have read where some in the East and Midwest, where turbines are right by houses, complain, especially if they are not the ones getting a check from them.;)

Maybe you ought to find a good attorney that has been involved with the wind farms representing the owners and have a consultation with him?
That would tell you so much more about what is going on in that area and what to look for if you buy into that real estate.

Forte
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:24 PM
In this area, the minimum setback is 500 Metres (that`s 1640 feet) to a house. And no, I wouldn`t be getting a check from them.

Alagirl
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
My mom lives in wind farm country, there are three really near the village.

They don't bother anything, Seems like there is minimal traffic (the farms who own the land create more)

But you really can't hear them.

They have a strange esthetic about them, really, but no different than an overland power line tower.

Bluey
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:57 PM
In this area, the minimum setback is 500 Metres (that`s 1640 feet) to a house. And no, I wouldn`t be getting a check from them.

I would say, most people that see the turbines think they are a bit like a graceful sculpture, not an eyesore.

At the distance you are talking about, you should not hear anything except when the wind is from that direction.
We are 1 mile from the closest turbines and never hear them, but we can hear the hum from the expressway a good 2+ miles away, when the wind is from that direction, that is most of the time here.

If the turbines are on the North side of your land, you should not have any flicker shadows from them when the sun raises or sets, which at most should be just for a short time anyway if you are in their path.

Orientation is the key here, where are your turbines and where your land.:yes:

Our turbines make good scratching post for horses and cattle and shade trees for our cattle, that love to follow the long shadows in the hot summers, laying right along them, then getting up and moving over and laying down again as the shadows change with the sun.:p

Murphy's Mom
Jun. 3, 2012, 02:22 PM
We have a lot of wind farms around here although none within viewing distance of my farm (for now). I think they are beautiful in their own way and the "whoosh" they make is strangely hypnotic and peaceful. I've taken the tour and even been inside one. Very interesting stuff. Sure, I'd rather have a nice view from my farm but if I had to choose between seeing wind machines and seeing houses I'd much rather see the wind machines.
Wind Farm Photo (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1312836622252&l=ce7caa0638)
From a geocaching trip on the wind farm:
Another wind farm photo (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1721169830327&l=5099314603)

BabyGoose
Jun. 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
It seems to depend on the person. We don't have any turbines close to us, but there is a wind farm maybe sixty miles from us that was just put in a few years ago. It is in a big open valley surrounded by mountain ranges..... and the turbines have destroyed what was once a beautiful desert valley. In my opinion. I just think they are ugly. So I personally wouldn't take the chance of buying a property if there was a good chance for wind farm development. And I would be worried about resale value. BUT, it appears that more people actually like the look of them than not, so resale might not be an issue at all. So it seems to come down to personal preferance more than anything. If the appearance of the turbines doesn't bother you, and all else is perfect with the property, sounds like it should be a go.

chai
Jun. 3, 2012, 09:41 PM
Forte, can you spend some time there to make sure the sun doesn't come at an angle through the blades and the sound doesn't reach you? I think the jury is still out about whether or not these two issues are considered health hazards, but I saw a video that showed the constantly flickering shadow of a turning blade on someone's house, and I think it would drive me crazy.

mayhew
Jun. 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
I had a farm near Shelburne, ON where the big wind farm is (and where the gravel pit will soon make the wind farm problem obsolete). We never had a problem with the windmills but some people did. One neighbour complained that it made his wife not want to have sex with him. :eek: The thing I did have a problem with was what it did for the property value. That of course, was also made obsolete by the gravel pit. Ah, Ontario.

Forte
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:15 PM
Well, the turbines are not actually built yet, so I can't actually go out there and see if there is shadow flicker or find out if they are audible. I think that's what makes it the most scary, not knowing. Mayhew, I've read a lot about the issues in Shelbourne. The farm we are looking at is near Priceville (probably less than an hour away from Shelbourne). Pretty scary stuff.

flashwhitelock
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:26 PM
someone is trying to get wind turbines in our town. According to the paper, an average wind turbine is 35 decibels. That is enough to be heard a distance. for me, it would be enough to keep me awake if they were close.

I would be worried about the resale value.

My Two Cents
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:30 PM
They are not so bad to look at during the day but I hate them at night. Red lights blinking on and off, on and off, on and off..........

Daughter gets migraines from them.

Forte
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
someone is trying to get wind turbines in our town. According to the paper, an average wind turbine is 35 decibels. That is enough to be heard a distance. for me, it would be enough to keep me awake if they were close.

I would be worried about the resale value.

Keep in mind as well that the companies are reporting the noise in dBA. the "A" part means that the sound they are measuring has been filtered to cut out most of the low frequency sound. Since the noise from wind turbines is primarily low frequency, measuring it in dBA gives an unrealistically optimistic view of how loud it is. (I am an audiologist, so sound/hearing is my area of expertise)

I think I am ready to walk away from this farm. I am a very light sleeper and between the noise and the blinking lights, I might want to kill myself.

Bluey
Jun. 3, 2012, 11:05 PM
If you are just one hour from some, why not go there and see what they are and what sound they make for yourself?;)

Chall
Jun. 3, 2012, 11:29 PM
No comments, experiences on the electricial components running through the ground? I have always wondered about that.

headsupheelsdown
Jun. 3, 2012, 11:43 PM
Here is a thread about it that was started before:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312121&highlight=trails+wind+farm

I live near a wind farm and it is not pleasant at all. I would NEVER NEVER recommend anyone purposely buying anywhere near one. The closest one to me is about 1/2 mile.

I am sure you can google "wind farm problems" "shadow flicker" "Wind Turbine Syndrome" and get a lot of information. If you know how to, some of the sites that no longer work on the thread I linked to are still accessible. I am sure are still "cached" (nothing ever goes away on the internet, FYI).

Don't do it. Just don't do it. A farm is a big investment... why on earth would you take a chance on one next to a wind farm??

Was the fact that a wind farm was approved disclosed to you by the sellers??

RUN, RUN FAR, FAR AWAY.

Vesper Sparrow
Jun. 4, 2012, 12:02 AM
I travel to parts of Ontario where there are a bunch of them a couple of times a year. They make me really queasy to look at when I'm driving, but I can't take my eye away from them. I would have a really hard time living near one. Whenever I'm in an area with a bunch, I can't wait to get out of there.

I suggest you take a little trip and see how you like them.

The ones in Ontario are huge. I don't know about the wind farms in the States. Little wind turbines are no big deal.

headsupheelsdown
Jun. 4, 2012, 12:06 AM
I get horrible vertigo/ motion sickness. I had to change the way I live to live in my own home.

Tehzebra
Jun. 4, 2012, 01:48 AM
I've been around em. Never had to live by one(i live in the suburbs. We just have tons of water towers.) But they really arent that noisy. Its like white noise. Or living on the ocean.If its a big concern, go find some turbines and chill out by them for a bit.

Bluey
Jun. 4, 2012, 07:59 AM
I get horrible vertigo/ motion sickness. I had to change the way I live to live in my own home.

That is terrible and a bit strange too.

The last windfarm built here is close to the small town and no one has complained at all about anything, but they are placed NW of the town, kind of where the wind doesn't blow from them, so they don't hear them and no flickering off them.
Anyone would have to go out of their way to go where they could hear them or be bothered by them.
I have heard some say they like to sit in their yard/porch in the evenings and watch them turn.
They say they are kind of like having a water feature, relaxing in their turning and in the dark the blinking red lights.

Most people spend their time working somewhere else or in their house watching TV or whatever and when outside doing other than standing there watching them, so no one is bothered by them.

The little town only has a grade school, the high schoolers have to be bussed to a bigger town.
Since the windfarms came, the school has now so much more tax money from them and the economic activity they have produced, they are planning building a high school.
Everyone is excited with that, no more bussing kids at least 15 miles back and forth every day, in all kinds of weather.

We have the perfect wind here for wind turbines, they are some of the most efficient in the USA, even the engineers were surprised how well they perform.
Why waste such a natural, renewable resource?

BabyGoose
Jun. 4, 2012, 12:07 PM
They seem to affect some people more than others. I mainly just hate the way they look. But I can see how they might actually cause people to become sick. I get a weird kind of almost but not quite vertigo something when I look at them. Not debilitating by any means, just makes me feel a little weird. Hard to describe.

I consider most viewsheds that don't already have buildings etc destroyed by windfarms. One good thing I can say is the land they are on can still be used for some things, as in Blueys example the cattle are still grazing under them. That is more than can be said for solar farms! Double yuck. I realize there is a need for alternative energy, but I would like to see areas that are already disturbed used first. There is a lot of open area on the tops of shopping malls, walmarts etc. Fill those up with solar panels.

Frank B
Jun. 4, 2012, 08:42 PM
Consider also that windmills are very heavily subsidized and depending on whether or not they are viable in a free market depends on location.

Should the subsidies go away, unproductive towers and even the generator housings and blades may be well abandoned in place.

Forte
Jun. 5, 2012, 08:59 PM
Visited the wind turbines near Shelbourne last night and I was flabbergasted by how big these things are. Not as loud as I though, but a real eyesore on the landscape IMHO. I've decided to pass on this farm : (

subk
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:36 PM
Consider also that windmills are very heavily subsidized and depending on whether or not they are viable in a free market depends on location.

Should the subsidies go away, unproductive towers and even the generator housings and blades may be well abandoned in place.
Eventual abandonment is what would concern me. According to some sources there are already 14,000 abanded turbines in the U.S. Without subsidies this is not a sustainable business model and subsidies are fickle.

eqriding101
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
OK, I live in northwest Indiana, and my friends' horse is just south of us. Her barn has a wind turbine ON the property line, just beside the fence of the outdoor arena. It took her horse a day or so to get used to it, but now he doesn't even notice it. The first time I went to her barn, I forgot it was even there, because between the sounds being made by horses, fans, brooms, etc., you can't even hear it. Is it the prettiest thing to look at, absolutely not, but it certainly shouldn't affect you. My friends' barn, actually has lower power bills because of the turbine. I would recommend talking to some of the locals about it before you make your final decision.

Hope this helps some!