PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather-lock in run in or leave loose?

kasjordan
Jun. 1, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have one horse at my house and normally would have no issue with locking him in his run in during bad weather. His paddock is electric wire and the edges have quite a few trees that could and do toss some branches down during bad weather. Like I said, normally- no issue about locking him in the run in to avoid any falling branches,broken fence etc...BUT, hubby has not cut down two dead trees (big trees- 40 feet tallish) that he was supposed to do last year. These trees ,if they fall the way they lean- would have at least a 50% chance of hitting the run in and they're pretty close, so it would be the bulk/trunks of the trees. So do I take my chances and lock him in, thinking- less chance of those two particular dead trees falling in a really bad windy storm or let him loose in his pen, he seems to hang out near the creek under another live tree when it storms badly. (He's not thrilled with the sound of the rain on the run in's tin roof and doesn't seek it out during rain)
We are about to get some severe thunderstorms with big wind and there's already tornado watches. If I could have gotten off work early today, he'd be at our big barn all tucked away or in the wide open field...ughhhh

cowboymom
Jun. 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
Option 3-put him in the garage?

Can you put up a little baling twine (ie harmless) cross fence type thing to keep him out of the shed and under that live tree?

I think if it were my situation, that's what I would choose...no shed.

Or see if "someone" can knock those trees down before the storm hits. :yes:

good luck!

katyb
Jun. 1, 2012, 07:17 PM
I leave mine loose. Trees fall on their 30 acres pretty regularly, and nobody has been squashed yet.

SMF11
Jun. 1, 2012, 07:21 PM
Another vote for leave him loose.

Mali
Jun. 1, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mine have their breakaway halters & fly masks on and they are loose - with the option to go into their run-in if they wish. During bad weather, I always make sure they have on halters ;)