View Full Version : Booking a Commercial Shipper

Jun. 1, 2012, 08:45 AM
Over the last 3 weeks I have contacted and committed to a national known shipper to ship my horse. They called last week to confirm the arrangement and he was to ship in a few days. I called to check the status...then was told they WON'T ship and they don't even go where I am needing him ship. Needless to say, I am very unhappy with this company, they put me in a bind and all this time was wasted. I have shipped a few times before w ith this company and others and never had this happen. So when you book a shipper, are you supposed to book with multiple companies as "back-up" then cancel on them when someone comes through? I would never do that, but in hindsight, I made a mistake counting on this one company.

Jun. 1, 2012, 09:46 AM
Wow. That is very unprofessional of the shipper to book a horse and THEN tell you they don't go there. What shipper was it?

I don't think this is very common. But I have sometimes had a shipper call and tell me that they had to reschedule a shipping (that was not a date sensitive one) for one reason or another. But they let me know well ahead of time.

Jun. 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
It was Equine Express....very annoying.
He was going for training and I was so excited because the person would be super with him and do what I want.
My other option is to find a competent trainer that can and will do what I need them to do closer to me so I don't have to hire a shipper, or a trainer someplace where a shipper might go. And since I have had such horrible luck, I don't have it in me to go through the process of finding someone I can trust...I had to remove him from trainers and "fix him" 2x in the last year...I cannot do this anymore.

Jun. 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
I just used Drexler (out of Illinois) to ship mine to Fla. They are wonderful!
Professional, caring horsemen. They picked up on time, kept in phone contact, and arrived on time.
All the horses and 2 dogs they shipped for me arrived safe, happy and in great shape!
I highly recommend them.

Jun. 1, 2012, 11:54 AM
I have used Equine Express twice this year and will be using them again when we move to MA. They were great to work with, very accommodating, kept in touch along the route(s) and our horses arrived in excellent condition. The 1-trip was a last minute emergency pickup/delivery that they were able to do for me within a week's notice. I highly recommend them. Just sorry to hear you didn't have the same good experience, NJRider.

Jun. 1, 2012, 11:58 AM
It was Equine Express....very annoying.
He was going for training and I was so excited because the person would be super with him and do what I want.

Contact the trainer for some local haulers that would be able to coordinate with EE (or whichever shipper works on your end).

Jun. 1, 2012, 11:58 AM
Where are you going to and from? We may be able to provide some recs if we know.

Also, put up a bid on Uship. You'll get multiple quotes and be able to decide from there based on the feedback.... so you'll have a lot of backup options all at once.

Jun. 1, 2012, 05:59 PM
Sent u a pm

Jun. 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am extremely shocked at this, as I have used Equine Express for many years with never a problem. I can't help but think there is more to the story that created some misunderstanding between you and them.

Jun. 2, 2012, 09:01 AM
By all means.....USE USHIP....If you never want to see your horse again and pay for the priviledge....

Google...uship horse theft/scam/stolen deposit or anything similar.

Jun. 2, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sonesta- I wish there was more to the "story"....they represented they could ship my horse next week based on a trailer they could not fill...so they cancelled with no chance to get him East. I have been in touch with them for almost a month and I will say, they do seem very disorganized in their office. It wasted all my time because there were other shippers that could have taken him, and now those opportunities have passed. He needs to be off site ASAP because of the construction starting on my farm, I don't have another month to waste.
I had a bad experience with UShip-- they are the Craigslist of Shipping Services. There are probably some very good people there but there are so many yahoos it is not worth it. I hired a shipper to pick up a horse trailer 1000 miles away and they canceled at the last minute leaving me in a bind (what is is with shippers?) So I had a LONG drive over Easter weekend to bring back my trailer.
Anyhoo...I think my window for getting my horse East has closed...cannot find a way to get him there at all. No one I have called will go to where he needs to go. So have talked myself in trying ONE MORE TIME to find an option for another trainer within driving distance. I hope to get some referrals and then can follow up.

Prime Time Rider
Jun. 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
Wow, I am shocked too that Equine Express did this. I have used them in the past and they were very professional and organized. They have routes scheduled regularly. I'm sorry that let you down. Did you ask to speak to the manager at Equine Express?

Jun. 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
Call Brook Ledge. They're only slightly more expensive than EE, and much more professional and reliable. They also have a huge fleet and a ton of regularly scheduled routes, so chances are they can ship where you want when you want.

Jun. 2, 2012, 09:37 AM
I'm socked too and ditto Prime Time Rider and Sonesta. I dealt with Mike, Max and Lanetta at Equine Express and ALL were very professional and organized, including each of their drivers. I will continue to use their services as well as highly recommending them to others. Again, sorry your experience wasn't the same.

Jun. 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
I have called about a dozen since Thursday and they don't go to the area he needs to go or could drop him off 150 or 200 miles in a larger city from the destination...if I had a month again to do this I have no doubt I could have found a shipment...now I am about out of time and because the pick up and drop off are not "big" areas it is very hard. I don't know what else I could have done since EE seemed very genuine about providing the service. The bottom line is, this is just one horse so who cares. They apologized but that does not fix the problem.
Honestly, I probably need to not bother...if I cannot get him there, how will I get him home in a few months?

Jun. 2, 2012, 08:21 PM
Where are you trying to ship him from and to? Maybe the COTH folks can help.

Jun. 2, 2012, 08:35 PM
Springfield MO to W.VA near the Ohio line...Cincinnati could be a drop off point. Called everyone that has been mentioned, no one goes there at all. At least all the shippers told me up front they do not go there, so I know to try the next one. Runs to that area are done very seldom- so if you have a lot of time then eventually I am sure something would work out.
I lost this whole month so now am focusing on finding another trainer in driving distance. Which I hate because everyone in the world thinks their trainer is the best....you can still make a mistake and make a bad choice even though you think you have done all your homework.

Jun. 2, 2012, 08:57 PM
I used Cox Equine Transport, out of Gainesville, TX to ship a horse from just outside of Cincinnati to Connecticut--farm to farm, no drop off points needed. They did a fine job, and I would use them again. They run out here every two weeks. They have several rigs, some with air ride. Here are all needed telephone numbers and email addys: