PDA

View Full Version : Ugh..Black Widows under the water trough!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:04 PM
Does anyone else have trouble with black widow spiders living under their water troughs? No joke. Tonight I drained and scrubbed out the trough and turned it over to get the last little bit of water out and there were several black widows underneath. Yuck! This is not the first time ever but it is the first time I've seen any this summer. I absolutely hate them (and fear them) and have had several close calls and was nearly bitten. Once one got in my brush box and I almost put my hand on it when I picked up my brush. Another time, one was in my helmet! Is there anything you can do to get rid of them? Any natural enemies I can buy to turn loose like fly predators? I appreciate any suggestions!

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

Daydream Believer
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:04 PM
Does anyone else have trouble with black widow spiders living under their water troughs? No joke. Tonight I drained and scrubbed out the trough and turned it over to get the last little bit of water out and there were several black widows underneath. Yuck! This is not the first time ever but it is the first time I've seen any this summer. I absolutely hate them (and fear them) and have had several close calls and was nearly bitten. Once one got in my brush box and I almost put my hand on it when I picked up my brush. Another time, one was in my helmet! Is there anything you can do to get rid of them? Any natural enemies I can buy to turn loose like fly predators? I appreciate any suggestions!

*The difference between commitment and involvement is like a ham and egg sandwich...the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!*

Blue Devil
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:08 PM
I think there are brown recluse spiders in the hay barn!! Anyone know what those look like?

Spiders can be scary. In our rolltop jump at the barn, I am CERTAIN there is a nice collection of assorted dangerous insects and spiders living in there. Luckily, we haven't moved THAT jump in a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Don't know what to tell you, other than
1) wear thick leather gloves (you know, utility/work suede type gloves) when working in these areas.

2) never work in any of these areas if you are the only person on the property! Let someone else on the property know you're doing something near the spiders in case you get bitten, etc.

My karma ran over your dogma.
Emily@catchride.com

BostonBanker
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:23 PM
Well, thank you for making me appreciate Vermont a bit more. All this winter, I will be repeating to myself "At least there aren't deadly spiders in my tackbox...At least there aren't deadly spiders in my tackbox..."

Attitude is everything. You simply cannot be beaten if, at the end of the day, some tiny part of you can still whisper, "I will try again tomorrow." ~Unknown

Charis
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:42 PM
For those of us in the south...
a FAVORITE hiding place of the brown recluse are
the jump cup pin holes in wooden standards!!
Learned this the hard way years ago when a trainer of mine got bitten adjusting the jump.

Always look first. (PVC standards do NOT seem to interest the critters)
The recluse is brown, slightly fuzzy and has a tan/white spot shaped like a fiddle.

One Nation under GOD>

Robbierox
Jul. 17, 2002, 06:48 PM
.......move to Canada!!!!

Tin
Jul. 17, 2002, 07:26 PM
and to think I was complaining about earwigs in my jump standards... I will NEVER complain about them again!! ick! stay safe guys

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~

barnie
Jul. 17, 2002, 08:16 PM
I find them everytime I turn the troughs over...I've made it a habit to take a stick with me to squish all of them. They are always more, and I always keep squishing them....nasty alien creatures!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

goobergurl21
Jul. 17, 2002, 08:46 PM
we get them around jumps here in Georgia!! eek! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

~Claire~
"The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. So why study?"

MoReDQthanU
Jul. 17, 2002, 09:08 PM
AHHH the joys of Canada. Spiders are my biggest fear. I swear I have arachniphobia(sp?) If I see a large-ish spider, I practically cry!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

TERRI!!!!
Guess what guys!?!? Schools out! Guess what guys, IM SO HAPPY!!!!!:)

Miriam
Jul. 17, 2002, 09:27 PM
I don't think you can do anything but squish them. Never pick up cinder blocks without looking very carefully. Water troughs, cinder blocks and tack compartments in my BP trailer seem to be the black widow condos in my area. GROSSES ME OUT!

*Sometimes I think the so-called expets actually ARE experts.*

Sleepy
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:45 AM
where I try to never go in the summer. I saw one a few weeks ago when I opened a gate. When I got back with something to kill it, it was gone. A good enough reason to never wear sandals to the barn. I worry more about brown recluses. They are fatal while black widows generally aren't.

HuntJumpSC
Jul. 18, 2002, 05:37 AM
Icky icky! Eww eww!

The same thing happened to me day before yesterday...I periodically have to scoop out my fishies and drain the troughs and put in fresh water (it just turns green after awhile)...Don't have to scrub, thank God! But one of my troughs have a stuck drain plug, so I have to bail it out by hand and then turn it over...I found 2 black widows living happily under there...squished em flat!
They love my jumps and love love love our airplane hangar! So look out where you put your hands~ they are everywhere this summer /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif SUZ

Proud member of the following:
***Rust TS Clique***SC'ers Clique***EBayers Anon Clique***Don't Give a Rats Ass about USAEq vs USET Clique***

~~~GELD EM!~~~

horsemad!
Jul. 18, 2002, 05:58 AM
I wish there was a :shudder: graemilin! Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

Pixie Dust
Jul. 18, 2002, 06:45 AM
We have lots of black widows. I just am careful when picking stuff up. I only find them under rocks (or cinder blocks) they are pretty predictable and slow. I have not found any in my helmet YIKES though I did find a dead mouse there once /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif EW.

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

arnika
Jul. 18, 2002, 06:55 AM
We have tons of black widows under our troughs. Though we have never seen a brown recluse. We live in Fl.

~Lauren

Have you ever noticed that people neverr fall off backwards?~Food for thought. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

wnqs
Jul. 18, 2002, 07:54 AM
Here in Alberta, Canada, we have black widow spiders...

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

buryinghill1
Jul. 18, 2002, 07:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BostonBanker:
All this winter, I will be repeating to myself "At least there aren't deadly spiders in my tackbox...At least there aren't deadly spiders in my tackbox..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah yuh, nothing toxic to bite ya in Vuhmont, but DaydreamBeliever doesn't have to dodge moose on the roads of NC. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 18, 2002, 08:17 AM
Thanks to all of you for the support and commiseration! I didn't know they lived in Canada too! I guess I'll just have to get braver and start squishing them. Yuck! God, I really hate all spiders and poisonous ones just are too much! I'd rather have to deal with a snake in the barn than a spider. My Jack Russells would take care of the snake, no problem.

It's funny but I've never found them in the holes in my jump standards yet. I'll be careful with those too. What is it about water troughs? One of their favorite places by the sound of it. My skin is crawling just writing this!

bgoosewood: a dead mouse in your helmet! Yuck. I had an absolutely disgusting thing happen a month or so ago like that, only a little worse maybe. One night I woke up because the JR's were growling at each other in the middle of the night in the bed (they sleep with us of course /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)over what I thought in the dim light was their stuffed toy. You know how JRT's are...Well, I decided to take the toy and put it on the nightstand so I could get back to sleep. So I grab it and realize it is not "teddy" but something warm, furry, wet, limp, and the size of a rat! I squealed loudly (couldn't help it) and threw it across the room. My husband wakes up and we have quite a commotion until we get the lights on. Our cats bring all sorts of dead things in the house through the dog door. It turned out to be a dead baby bunny. I was so grossed out! I was just shuddering and a wreck after that. We had to change the entire bed clothes for all the mess. My husband was joking about me needing therapy after that! Thank God the Black Widows stay out in the barn and not in my bed!

You Vermonters can keep your Moose! We got enough obnoxious wildlife here! My horses would take off and never stop if they saw a moose. Whitetails everywhere are bad enough! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

orange
Jul. 18, 2002, 01:41 PM
I live in fear of that scenario!!! I found one dead rat in the house (I think that was the work of the cats, though) and now I'm just waiting for the day my JRT, Abby the Vicious Slayer of Rodents, brings one on the bed. I will shriek and carry on like the worst sort of girly girl, I just know it.

And if she hides it under the covers, I may not survive it...

I've squished my fair share of black widows at the barn. The barn owner says, "no they eat flies!." Sorry, but poisonous spiders get the big thump, no matter how many flies they can eat!

Nikita
Jul. 18, 2002, 01:59 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

DON'T tell me that! What a scary thought!

horsemad! Here's your shudder graemlin (http://mazeguy.tripod.com/smilies/animated/shocking.gif).

Daydream Believer
Jul. 18, 2002, 03:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orange:

And if she hides it under the covers, I may not survive it...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orange,

It has scarred me! I now turn on the light before picking anything up like that! Thankfully, the dogs did not have it under the covers.

breezymeadow
Jul. 18, 2002, 03:19 PM
Breezymeadow - who is a complete & total ARACHNOPHOBIC, has spiders in her barn the size of BUICKS!!!!

While I have gritted my teeth & de-cobwebbed the stall bars, etc., I have absolutely NO plans to swipe down the HUGE, OPAQUE, BEDSHEET-SIZED webs higher up where I have seen hairy moving things larger than my HAND!!!!

And I don't see Mr. Breezymeadow exactly jumping up & down to help here, either.

Can't wait for the first hard frost. . . .

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

Janeway
Jul. 18, 2002, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoReDQthanU:
AHHH the joys of Canada. Spiders are my biggest fear. I swear I have arachniphobia(sp?) If I see a large-ish spider, I practically cry!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is me as well MoreDQ! I just freeze if I see a big one. Unfortunately, after having moved to the westcoast from Alberta I have discovered that Canada does indeed have some nice big ones; and they run like hell if you try to get them, which makes it worse!

Good lord, I can feel the goosebumps already just thinking about them /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 18, 2002, 03:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breezymeadow:
Breezymeadow - who is a complete & total ARACHNOPHOBIC, has spiders in her barn the size of BUICKS!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, you just reminded me of one I saw in my feed room. I swear it was the size of a mouse and it was hairy. I saw that thing crawl out from behind the feet tub and LEFT immediately. When I got my husband out there to see it and get rid of it, it was gone. He thinks I exagerate but you and I know it's true! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DarkerHorse
Jul. 18, 2002, 03:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:
I think there are brown recluse spiders in the hay barn!! Anyone know what those look like?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had a horse get bitten by one once... It was NOT a pretty picture. We think it was a brown recluse, anyway. The horse was a school horse and was responding to treatment, so they never acatually ran tests because they didn't want to pay the money when the horse was getting better. Nasty nasty bite, it was like someone absessed part of its skin on the neck.

-----
http://www.catchride.com <My Site
http://news.catchride.com <Scandal Sheet

Chrissy
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:09 PM
They (black widows) have invaded our garage this summer, I have killed about 6 so far. Living in Fl all of my life I don't react TOO badly when I come across one.

It usually goes something like:

*Looking in show trunk for a decent show pad*

*Find one*

*Glance at the bottom of the trunk lid*

* Realize that I am staring at an unhappy momma black widow with a gross looking egg-sack that my hand is about an inch from*

*Run away screaming*

*Come back half an hour later armed with a can of Raid (the stuff for roaches does kill them) and a pair of thick gardening gloves*

*Kill Spider*

*Repeat process the next day while looking for some other object housed by the garage*

KILL THEM, KILL THEM ALL!

Brown Recluses (I have only seen a few thank goodness) usually induce chills and shrieks of "AHMYGADAHAHAH" which brings along some unsuspecting family member turned excutioner...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Common sense aint so common.

stasha
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:15 PM
South Dakota has black widows and brown recluses,too. I have never found a black widow, but my friends have. I did find several brown recluses in the grain shed.

There are a couple of other species that freak me out just as much--wolf spiders and those little black-and-white striped, jumping spiders. (I don't know exactly what they are called, but when they feel threatened, they jump at you!)

My dad found a wolf spider in the kitchen one night, and jumped on the kitchen counter, he was so startled! (Imagine a 6'3" man, about 280 pounds, vertical-jumping onto a kitchen counter. That makes you sit up and take notice!) I caught him under one of those clear/smoke-colored Tupperware juice glasses--and his legs touched the rim of the glass!

I got bit by one of those little jumping spiders--it was on the patio table, and I reached for my drink. It jumped off the glass and bit my forearm! I had a huuuuge lump on my arm!

Four weeks down, two to go...the immobilization brace is off and occupational therapy has begun...After one week, I have half of my normal range of motion back!

I apologize for my typos. But at least I am able to type with two hands again! (Kind of) Thanks for your patience.

arnika
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:28 PM
We have all sorts of widows. We have them with red hour glasses and orange hour glasses. But then there are the brown ones, and ones with stripes on there legs. We also have all~black ones. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I used to get paid 5 cents every time I killed one. (By the end of the week I had $15) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Lauren

breezymeadow
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:29 PM
My husband feels that the scene in "Annie Hall" where Woody Allen is going after a spider in Diane Keaton's bathroom was filmed in our house without our permission - LOL!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

arnika
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:39 PM
What you probably saw are brown wolf spiders. They get as big as your hand.However there is no need to be worried because you think they're big and going oh my god that thing is huge. Well if you think they're big think of how you look to them. They are going OH MY GOD I'm gonna die cause that giant will squash me. They only bite when you grab them and shove your hand in they're mouths, however it is only defense. I assure you you would do the same. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif They are harmless and they catch bugs. I have held them in my hand and they won't bite. I promise. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
~Lauren /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Winglet
Jul. 18, 2002, 04:53 PM
sorry, I don't think there's ANYTHING you can do to make me bite a spider... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I used to mow the back end of a Golf Driving Range, behind the fence... it got 2 or 3 feet high before we mowed it (with weed eater brand push mowers that fell apart every 50 yards) and there were THOUSANDS of wolf spiders there, from the size of a dime to the size of my mower's wheels, and they all ran away very fast, regardless of their size. Black widows, however, seem unfazed by anything but their imminent doom...

If you loan someone twenty dollars, then never see them again, it was probably worth it.

www.geocities.com/winglet18 (http://www.geocities.com/winglet18)

Daydream Believer
Jul. 18, 2002, 06:14 PM
Arnika, I think I know what a wolf spider looks like..they are brown with a black stripe. What I saw was kind of a medium brown with no black, very hairy and it's legs were different from wolf spiders. It really resembled a tarantula more than anything else. It did not move quickly, TG, or I would have had a heart attack! Someone told me it might have been a Banana Spider. Do you know what they look like?

Breezymeadow, I'm so bad I can't even watch that movie Aracnophobia without whimpering and cowering on the sofa. My husband thinks it's very funny, but I'm not amused. There is some new movie coming out called "Eight Legged Freaks" with giant spiders that eat people or something. I think I'll avoid that one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone ever heard of a black widow biting a horse? Just curious. I have seen a Brown Recluse bite on a persons leg, it was like a sunken, infected hole. Very disgusting.

breezymeadow
Jul. 18, 2002, 08:26 PM
Breezymeadow checks the ceiling of the room - as she does every room - for creepy-crawlies before beginning to type. . . .

Arnika - Although the logical part of my brain (if I have one) knows all these good things about spiders, it does not keep me from getting downright nauseous at the sight of them. In addition, I have a number of friends & relatives who claim that a spider in the house means "good luck and money", none of which I have seen so far. And from the size of the spiders I've seen lately, I should be damn lucky & damn rich by now!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif These guys aren't catching bugs, they're probably catching birds, cats, small dogs, & children.

Daydream Believer - I have never even watched "Arachnophobia". The spiders were just too realistically sized for me to stomach. And I have absolutely NO plans to watch the new creature feature you mentioned. The only spider flicks I have been able to view without leaving the room are the black-&-white golden oldies where the spider is the size of a skyscraper & obviously nothing more than a poor special effect.

So Intent
Jul. 18, 2002, 08:40 PM
When I lived in florida, I woke up one morning to find a wolf spider that was literally the size of a tarantula, in all seriousness, on my ceiling. I screamed.

A few months later, I woke up and found a cock roach on my ceiling. I sighed and went back to sleep. Florida /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Snowbird
Jul. 18, 2002, 09:03 PM
I just tuned in and I can't believe this thread. I would have run away 500 miles if I ever saw a Black Widow or any of those other guys you are all talking about.

Thank goodness for winter frosts and snow. I remember looking for a cockroach picture in the Encyclopedia once, but it turned out it was a water bug. Still have never seen a real one.

N&B&T
Jul. 19, 2002, 03:17 AM
Whenever you see what appears to be a miniature horse in Florida, be sure to count the number of legs before you offer to pet it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

If you can stand it--hard to do, I agree /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif--they (wolf spiders, not minis /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) ARE good at eating roaches and other undesirable insects . IMO, however, geckos and lizards do a MUCH better job. Some may feel the cure is worse than the disease, however...

I once discovered a wolf spider in my apartment so large as to cause me to confine my cats in another room lest the spider take them hostage. And anyone who thinks this is an over-reaction has obviously not seen them when they are moving at warp speed! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Must be all those legs--minis are generally slower.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." --Catherine Aird

N&B&T
Jul. 19, 2002, 03:35 AM
arnika is right, there are two OTHER species of widow spiders that live around buildings and farms(at least here in Florida), the brown widow and the south african brown widow (the ones with the striped legs). The egg cases (round and fuzzy) and abdominal markings help with identification. Webs which resist a prolonged full blast with the hose are another tipoff! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Any dark nook or shady area which remains undisturbed for more than a week or so is a good candidate for one of these to set up shop. We found a black widow and nest under the AC cord in our (spotless) feed room, and a south african brown widow and nest under a box containing wash supplies on the wash rack.

We now routinely hose the undersides of everything not nailed down, including bucket rims and plastic chairs!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

There's just no excuse for these things. They are not endangered and have the entire outdoors to thrive in. ARGH!!!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." --Catherine Aird

Daydream Believer
Jul. 19, 2002, 04:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
Thank goodness for winter frosts and snow. I remember looking for a cockroach picture in the Encyclopedia once, but it turned out it was a water bug. Still have never seen a real one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snowbird, If you'd like me to box up a few cockroaches and ship them up to you, I'd be more than happy to! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I find cockroaches revolting but not frightening.

The Black Widows around here are shiney black with red markings on their abdomens. Sometimes it's the hourglass but I have seen some with red spots too. It's hard to say for certain as I try not to get close enough to observe their markings in any detail. They are definitely not endangered around here!

I'm actually not completely hardhearted when it comes to spiders. Last year, while cleaning up some lumber, I disturbed a fairly harmless looking, small brown spider (not a recluse, I know what they look like). She had an egg sack she was dragging around. She was so upset by my violation of her nest that she started dragging her eggs to a safer place. She was so devoted to her unborn babies, that I just couldn't bring myself to squash her even when I thought about all those baby spiders hatching soon. See, I'm not totally hopeless!

On a side note, they said on the news this morning that poisonous snakebites are up in NC from previous years. They believe the snakes are getting thirsty due to the severe drought and are coming up to people's homes searching for water. Now isn't that just what we need?
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 19, 2002, 07:07 AM
I'm going to try and post a link to a spider page that shows my feed room spider...I think. It's similar but doesn't sound as big. I don't know if this will work but it's called a Giant Crab Spider. Yuck!

It seems to work if you click on the 'x box' with "Giant Crab Spider" under it. Be warned. It is ugly and my skin is crawling just from my visit to that website!

I promise not to download anymore spider pics as I know it's OT somewhat but is WAS in my Feed Room /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill1
Jul. 19, 2002, 07:33 AM
http://pelotes.jea.com/spiders.htm

Finzean
Jul. 19, 2002, 09:21 AM
We have the Rubbermaid water troughs and the underside is sort of waffle-y - there are always Black Widows under there!!! Creepy!

Other recent unwanted pests visiting the farm this week:

the fearless red fox that farm owners husband has been feeding chicken scraps to (he got in major trouble for that when she found out!!!)

The farm owners husband (just kidding!! we were all just upset with him for baiting the fox - he's been, hmm, re-educated about the subject)

4 wild dogs which received some bird shot to motivate them to travel elsewhere

those crazy build a nest in the horse trailer birds!!! They are becoming pests!

About the spiders - I always try to have a stick handy that I can smash into the waffle holes to kill them. (where's the yuck graemlin??)

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

Snowbird
Jul. 19, 2002, 09:33 AM
But, I prefer just looking at their pictures. You have all convinced me of one thing and that is I won't retire to the south. I can deal with bears, foxes, bob cats and even cayotes, but eight legged things are not a favorite friend of mine. I have even survived the invasion of Canada Geese, found a friend who likes to train his dogs who are competitors in the working dog field trials.

I am looking for an owl I can convince to live here to get rid of pigeons but that's my personal limit. Compared to a Black Widow spider I think the Polar Bears are kind of cute.

Janeway
Jul. 19, 2002, 11:28 AM
or did anyone else not have the nerve to open those last two links posted? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I really don't want to know what they look like.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

buryinghill1
Jul. 19, 2002, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janeway:
or did anyone else not have the nerve to open those last two links posted? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I really don't want to know what they look like.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Louise
Jul. 19, 2002, 12:06 PM
I'm afraid the North isn't exempt from big, yucky spiders. We have some that come out every spring in our basement. They can get to be as big as a half dollar with legs attached, and they are very flat, so they fit into crevices really well.

When I was young, I used to shriek and call Dad to kill the things quickly, but, since he died many years ago, I have had to deal with the things myself.

I'm with Snowbird, I can deal with most varmints, but these things give me major shivers, and I would much rather do without them.

---------------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle

Winglet
Jul. 19, 2002, 02:12 PM
I don't want to find anything named Olios GIGANTEUS in MY house.... or any other GIGANTEUS insects!

If you loan someone twenty dollars, then never see them again, it was probably worth it.

[This message was edited by Winglet on Jul. 19, 2002 at 05:31 PM.]

Janeway
Jul. 19, 2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words YD! They don't help one bit /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You sound much like me Louise! I warned my new male roomate when he moved in that one of the prerequisites for living with me was dealing with any and all bugs in the apartment! He agreed thankfully /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Everythingbutwings
Jul. 19, 2002, 02:29 PM
From my recollection, nothing could live in your room /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jul. 20, 2002 at 08:01 AM.]

Everythingbutwings
Jul. 19, 2002, 02:31 PM
Such a beautiful opportunity on a Friday afternoon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Friendship is Love without his wings
-Lord Byron

Winglet
Jul. 19, 2002, 02:33 PM
I always knew it.

buryinghill1
Jul. 21, 2002, 11:24 AM
I got bitten by a Brown Recluse. The horseshoer (George Fitzgerald) was shoeing horses on the same aisle and he recognized the symptoms right away.
Got me to Palm Beach Hospital (Wellington) in record time. Doctors said his speediness prevented a lot of problems. Who'd -a- thunk a farrier would be a hero.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Courtknee202
Jul. 21, 2002, 12:39 PM
Breezymeadow, get a pressure washer, empty out the barn on a warm, non-humid day, and blast those suckers down! Thats what my barn does! I have found that the only way for me to kill spiders is to make them immobile by spraying them with Windex, then smashing them to bits. I did find a teeny black jumping spider in my car a few days ago, he was rather cute, so I let him live!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 21, 2002, 01:57 PM
yd

Sounds like you were really lucky! Was the bite painful? I've heard that recluse bites aren't but the reaction to the bite is really bad. Thanks for sharing that with us arachnophobes!

Incidentally, we had to kill another black widow yesterday! It was a big momma with egg sacks and there was a little male with her. Thank heavens we got those two or I'd have even more around here soon! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

buryinghill1
Jul. 21, 2002, 02:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:
Was the bite painful? I've heard that recluse bites aren't but the reaction to the bite is really bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Painful wasn't the word. But I sorta was in shock, so I don't remember it much. Just remember George Fitzgerald throwing me into a truck and telling somebody to put the horse away (he was in the middle of a shoeing job). Then doctors and stuff. I know I kept hearing how lucky I was.
Now when I see alfalfa from the southwest I run away.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 21, 2002, 06:24 PM
yd

It was in the alfalfa! Holy Smoke! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Shiaway
Jul. 21, 2002, 07:13 PM
I go to college in Vermont and actually there do appear to be brown reculse there. Some people have seen them and I know one person who was bit by one.

It's not the reaction to the bite. It's actually the acid they inject into your muscles which hurts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And I actually like spiders and crawly things (except tics) but injected acid no. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

They have a violin on their back I am told. I do not believe they kill you as quickly as a lot of poisonous things do. The acid eats ate your muscles and you get lumps and very ouchy and you can develop blood poisoning and die. Or so I've been told by the person who was bit.

breezymeadow
Jul. 22, 2002, 05:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do not believe they kill you as quickly as a lot of poisonous things do. The acid eats ate your muscles and you get lumps and very ouchy and you can develop blood poisoning and die. Or so I've been told by the person who was bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Shiaway, what you are saying is instead of dieing quickly, one can look forward to a slow & extremely painful passing?

And here Breezymeadow thought she was already as frightened and wary of eight-legged beasties as she could be - guess there's always room for more! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

cinnabar
Jul. 22, 2002, 07:38 AM
Janeway, I couldn't look at the links either! I have trouble with the S volume of the encyclopedia! Never liked spiders, never will. I've gotten better about co-existing with daddy long legs and little spiders in the barn - although it's mostly avoidance or get out the hose - but those big suckers...I'll sweep them out if I can get up the nerve, or I'll find the fly spray. At least that slows them down till I can get some better ammunition! Eeeeewwwwww!

Pixie Dust
Jul. 22, 2002, 07:44 AM
What do brown recluse spiders look like? We have a client who was bit and she is missing part of her leg because of it.

While I don't want bugs or spiders ON me, they don't really bother me. I don't ever kill spiders because they serve a useful purpose, but of course I sweep them out of areas I don't think they belong.

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

Camstock
Jul. 22, 2002, 08:23 AM
Yd, can you tell us precisely what the symptoms were? There was just a news story on that they found brown recluses in the southern part of Iowa. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I know this doesn't fit in with the whole spider thing, but on the "Yechy things in hay" part of it, I once found half a dried up snake looping out of a haybale like the Loch Ness Monster. Of course, I was carrying the bale with my hand an inch away from it when I saw it. Gah! I threw the hay bale about 15 feet, military press style. Hubby dearest came out and dealt with it (and we threw the bale away to avoid the horses being exposed to botulism).

Hubby was so nice to deal with the snake, so understanding, and didn't even make fun of his girly girl wife. But his parting words were, "Well, that was half the snake, wonder where the other half is?" Aaaaaahhhh! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

EventerAJ
Jul. 22, 2002, 09:21 AM
I have chills and goosebumps from reading all this! I'm not too bad with spiders, but anything poisonous scares the life out of me!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I'm very suspicious of the water troughs now, and not quite as enthusiastic about jump-crewing, either! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Please, please tell me that those nasty widows and recluse spiders are not in Kentucky!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

~AJ~
"Got no excuses for the things that we've done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young." K.C.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 22, 2002, 09:35 AM
I'm going to attempt to post another spider picture...this one is the brown recluse. It's an ugly sucker too and look carefully at it's head and you may see the violin marking. This isn't the clearest picture unfortunately. ...Shivering...

Same as last time...click on the little x box above the "brown recluse spider" if the picture doesn't come up right way. I must be doing something wrong with these downloads.

Cammie,

I can just see you throwing that bale of hay! I had a good laugh imagining that. Sadly, I once found the remains of a fawn in a hay bale. It does pay to shake out those flakes before feeding them.

EventerAJ..I'm pretty sure you have these spiders in KY too. Sorry to break the bad news...

carribean
Jul. 22, 2002, 04:18 PM
hahaha we are really lucky, no black widows and brown thingies, just CORN! well we have spiders, of course, but not that kind. i think. i've never been bitten by a spider but they defnately creep me out! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

**anna**

carribean
Jul. 22, 2002, 04:22 PM
Spider Bite!!!!!! (http://www.acponline.org/graphics/bioterro/canthrax/brown_spider2.jpg)

now if that isnt disgusting--- thats a Brown Recluse Spider Bite!!!!! grossssss eww i screamed when i saw that!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

**anna**