PDA

View Full Version : Trails West vs. Titan bumper pull trailers. Pros/cons of each??

Rio Blanco
May. 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
I'm in the market for a 2-3 horse bumper pull trailer. I'd prefer a slant load, but I'd be okay with a straight load as long as it was "Sundowner" style - big and roomy where the horses go, with a tack room. It's an "inbetween" trailer, something that will be the sole trailer for at least 3-4 years, and then we'll upgrade to a nicer gooseneck - probably a 2+1 or head to head. In the meantime, I just want something that will hold it's value, not become a rust bucket if properly cared for, and won't be a pain in the butt once I buy it.

I really like the Trails West (steel) and Titan (steel) trailers. Titan seems mildly more affordable with more options than Trails West. Please share any thoughts or experiences :)

NBChoice
May. 31, 2012, 01:07 AM
I don't have any experience with Trails West, but we have a 3 horse slant load Titan bumper pull with a front tack room that is quite spacious. We've never had any problems at all with our Titan. One thing that attracted us was that the tack room is not in the back where the horses get in. This was important to us because my mare is not the greatest loader, and we've found that having a wide open door, instead of half of a door, is much better for her.

SLW
May. 31, 2012, 02:15 AM
I have a Titan 2 horse GN, bought it new 6 or 7 years ago. Super nice steel trailer that has held up extremely well. Mine does have a collapsible rear tack which is nice. I use it depending on the time of year and what activities I'm involved in.

I took it out to the Titan factory last year to have the new style windows installed and a jail bar divider. Super nice guys at the factory who did a couple other minor repairs at no charge, just because the trailer needed it. All the welds have held as has the hardware with year round use.

costco_muffins
May. 31, 2012, 03:13 AM
We have never used a Titan, but have used a Trails West. I loved everything about it and would buy one in a heartbeat. Around here, in the PNW, a Trails West holds its value extremely well.

Personal Champ
May. 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
I had a Titan 3 horse slant with front and collapsible rear tack and really liked it. DH who used to drive for a living also really liked how it pulled, and the local RV guy was VERY impressed with the construction.

I sold it 2 years after purchase for the same amount I initially paid. I now have a Featherlite GN 4 horse slant, but would not hesitate to get another Titan if need be.

Forte
May. 31, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have a Trails West Classic II bumper pull and I love it! I bought in about 15 months ago new. It's a slant load. I paid the extra $$ to get the tail side windows, water tank, rear loading light and warmblood height. I haven't gotten to use it a whole lot due to life circumstances, but it's been wonderful when I have used it. I love how it's so bright and air and open. I have a lot of young horses and I find even the babies load on it without causing too much of a fuss. (I have the step up version.)

Rio Blanco
May. 31, 2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks! I'm glad to hear all the good things about Titan. I'll probably end up going with that - part of the trailer payment is a graduation gift so I have to wait until August to get it if I decide to go new (which it looks like that is what I'll do - used 2 horse BP trailers in good condition are hard to find and expensive when you find them!). I really like the Titan Avalanche with the drop down windows, no rear tack, and an escape door - just nice enough to make me not feel cheap but not so expensive that I have sticker shock! :lol: Trails West seems to be $1k-$2k more expensive for the same options :(

sandsarita
May. 31, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have a Titan 2hr BP with front dressing, drop down windows and slats on the curb side. It pulls great, have had no problems with it. The only minor thing is that a couple of the liners (not quite sure what they are called - maybe the sealers that line the edges of the back door) are trying to come off. I have hauled the stink out of that thing. My "easy" hauls are 4 hours and have had no problems with it. That being said, when I looked at the Trails West trailers I liked what I saw but went with the Titan because my sister sells them, among others, and I could get one custom made at a great deal.

cowboymom
May. 31, 2012, 10:19 PM
We have a 20 foot Titan and are very happy with it. They're one of the biggest brands used in cattle country here, lots of gravel miles and cow hauling and trailers need to be strong and well-built. Even with all the hard miles they hold their value very well here. Ours pulls extremely well too, I forget it's back there sometimes.

MMavin
Jun. 6, 2012, 01:45 AM
I have the Titan avalanche and a friend has the slightly nicer model trails west. The Titan has been great, and held up well. However, her trails west has a few safety features I envy. Her stall dividers have a hinge that helps hold the door back out of the way while loading, and the closure is more solid. The two rear doors are nice for our windy area. The exterior edges where horses are tied are not as sharp, and the tie hooks are placed higher and safer. It was also alot more money, and a higher end model. Not quite apples to apples.