View Full Version : Hand Pump Experts - BT #1?

May. 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
In my side yard (rural/urban farmhouse) I have a tall hand pump, with the initials BT #1. It is a tall pump, and it has the pump body farther down the shaft.
My house dates to 1876, and I have no idea how long it's been since it was functioning. We've lifted it part-way out, and it looks like the pipe goes down about 8 feet.
Now, the questions.
1. Where can we get parts / fittings? I grew up with a smaller hand pump that had leathers, but am not sure what this one has.
2. My DSO says the connector rod from the handle to the pump mechanism isn't attached inside as well.
Any tips or links would be very appreciated! It would be great to be able to water our garden without using town water! :) Ideally we'd like to bring this one back into use, but are open to using a repro if we have to.

May. 31, 2012, 10:56 AM
Anyone? :)

May. 31, 2012, 11:06 AM
Maybe call and see if you can talk to someone at Bison ... http://www.bisonpumps.com/ .

While they're in the business of selling their own pumps, they might be able to give you some advice on repairing that one.

Otherwise, call the well drilling companies around your area and see if anyone has experience with hand pumps.

(If you end up buying a new one, Lehman's has old-fashioned looking ones.)