PDA

View Full Version : Any gardeners recognize this plant?

birdsong
May. 30, 2012, 07:46 PM
Found it where I had thrown out some seeds a while back...thinking one may have actually sprouted but don't know for sure. Possibilities are spinach, swiss chard, kale....ideas?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/birdsong10/photo.jpg

buck22
May. 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
any possibility its horseradish? I don't do the green leafies too much any more, they get mauled in my garden, so I'm not too sure about it, but for some reason the leaves don't look terribly appetizing like spinach and chard do.

[shrug] just a guess.

fernie fox
May. 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
Swiss Chard.

sk_pacer
May. 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Spinach, dont think the leaves are wrinkly enough for chard.

saanengirl
May. 31, 2012, 03:48 PM
Spinach leaves are more rounded than that. Kale has very ruffly leaves. It does resemble chard.

SGray
May. 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
looks like a weed that grows around here -- can't think of the name just now

Aggie4Bar
May. 31, 2012, 03:57 PM

I don't know any weed names, but you're right. Then again, we also do have a lot of edible weeds. Had a wild mustard grow in my poo pile a couple years ago, and that sucker was great fried up with some bacon. Hubby gets suspicious now when I cook greens though. <shrug>

saanengirl
May. 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
Chicory looks kind of like that before it bolts, but chicory leaves aren't that smooth on the edges. Curly dock looks a bit like that as well, but I still think it is probably chard.

lucky bunny
May. 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
looks like a radish, or a turnip or beet. They all have similar tops. Pull it up and see what's under there. Could be very tasty.

subk
May. 31, 2012, 05:08 PM
Yep. Can't think of the name either but there was a thread on it a few months ago...

rodawn
May. 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
Don't pull it up to eat unless you know exactly what it is. Some things look wonderful, end up poisonous.

Not spinach, for sure. Not kale either. Not the right texture/color for beets.

Possibly chard. You can take a leaf to a local nursery and have a master gardener tell you what it is.

JB
May. 31, 2012, 05:57 PM
Assuming those plants listed are the only possibility, then it's just about destined to be Swish Chard

it's most definitely not kale (for the reason listed, not krinkly), and while I don't claim to know ALL varieties of spinach it still doesn't look right for that either

didgery
May. 31, 2012, 06:23 PM
It really doesn't look shiny enough to be chard. I agree it looks more like horseradish than anything else. It could be a poisonous weed, though, so don't eat it until you know!

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Hemlock-may-have-caused-Tacoma-womans-death-93292179.html

WildBlue
May. 31, 2012, 06:54 PM
It looks like dock, to me. (Yellow dock, maybe?) Check if it has a LOT of big, deep, white root. If so, it's a weed. Otherwise, the leaves look more like horseradish than either spinach or chard, both of which (in the flat-leaved variety) have a more spade-shaped leaf.

Laurierace
May. 31, 2012, 06:57 PM
Dock is my guess too. If is has a root like a tree trunk that is your answer.

LauraKY
May. 31, 2012, 07:00 PM
Looks like broadleaf plantain to me.

Cruiser12
May. 31, 2012, 08:59 PM
It's a weed

birdsong
May. 31, 2012, 09:07 PM
Someone else mentioned dock....I've just never seen it here in my past 24 years on the farm!

OK will investigate the root system. Very pretty plant though....about 24" tall.

thanks for all the replies!

I was just so excited to see what I thought was a hold out on the garden that wasn't meant to be. We plant here in Oct/Nov since the summer mos. are too harsh.
The garden area that I had worked on to build up with composted manure for 2 years became too shady while waiting. I then planted in very large containers with a LOT of effort only to have the peacocks eat everything!!!
Just hoping.

SmartAlex
May. 31, 2012, 09:11 PM
That's not chard, spinach or radish. Or Plantain unless its a monster!

My bet is curly dockweed or possibly Horseradish. But, IMO Horse radish is more upright.
Horse radish photo for comparision (kitty is snoozing not dead ;))
http://smartalexphotos.blogspot.com/2012/05/horse-radish.html

S1969
Jun. 1, 2012, 06:58 AM
I vote for curly dock too. If you try to pull it out and it fights back...it's dock. ;) It has a very long, tough root and is difficult to get rid of because once it's more than a weedling (as I like to call them) you rarely get the whole root and it comes right back.

Dock is edible, though. You can eat the leaves raw when they are very young, or can cook them to make them less bitter. Fully grown dock isn't very tasty though. :dead:

There aren't that many dangerously poisonous plants in the US....not that I'd recommend eating anything you find without checking, but most broad-leaved plants like this are usually not toxic.

buck22
Jun. 1, 2012, 07:40 AM
if its dock shouldn't it be sending up the seed stem thingie by now with all those leaves?

I've been hacking away at dock in the pastures like a crazed woman lately, and have noticed it doesn't get beyond 5 or 6 leaves by me without sending up that big ol seed stem.

Bacardi1
Jun. 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
Another vote for Dock. Weed. Pull it.

Bacardi1
Jun. 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
if its dock shouldn't it be sending up the seed stem thingie by now with all those leaves?

I've been hacking away at dock in the pastures like a crazed woman lately, and have noticed it doesn't get beyond 5 or 6 leaves by me without sending up that big ol seed stem.

If this is a young plant, it won't send up a seed stalk until later in the year, or even not until next year.

sk_pacer
Jun. 1, 2012, 04:24 PM
Took another look and retract my spinach and replace it with beets. Doesn't look much like dock to me, leaves are too round

bathsheba8542
Jun. 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
Dock. Definitely not chard...would post photo of some in my garden (chard, not dock, although that is here too!), but can't figure out how to do that. : (

bathsheba8542
Jun. 1, 2012, 04:28 PM
Ah, wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rumex-obtusifolius-foliage.JPG

Dock

Equibrit
Jun. 1, 2012, 11:13 PM
Another vote for dock.
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=1

stolen virtue
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:25 PM
I grow a lot of beets and it looks like my beet plants.

S1969
Jun. 4, 2012, 11:12 AM
I say pull it up and taste it. ;)

Megaladon
Jun. 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
It kind of looks like a weed we call "pig weed" around here. Maybe it's official name is Dock, of course it is a nasty weed. Beet leaves are soft and more purplely.

D Taylor
Jun. 4, 2012, 05:56 PM
Common dock for sure. Looks healthy and well watered. Kill it.