PDA

View Full Version : Wetting hay/killing ants

netg
May. 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Last summer we had ants in our hay and discovered my horse is very reactive to him when he woke me up in the middle of the night bodyslamming himself against the wall and covered in welts. The other two horses were fine, though my rescue mare had some bumps. Since we had the emergency vet visit anyway my mare got a shot to reduce any possible itching, but she wasn't bad and they went away quickly.

Ants are showing back up around our property again, and I will start drowning my horse's hay to kill any ants which may be in it when he gets home from his "away camp" he's at with my trainer right now. Last summer I would soak the hay in a muck bucket then dump the water, and this seemed to do the job. Anyone have a better idea, when the ants need to be thoroughly drowned? I'm debating if I think a cheapie muck bucket look-alike from Target or somewhere with holes drilled in the bottom would get everything wet enough or not. Or heck, drill holes in one, not in another, and use it like a giant strainer pot like you'd use for pasta.

Anyone have other ideas? Just the muck bucket did work quite well last year except for the time factor. The plus to doing this is that my horse has allergies and it's of course great for reduction of dust.

Dramapony_misty
May. 31, 2012, 02:49 PM
I've heard of people putting the hay into a hay net and the dunking the entire net. Once good and soaked, pick the net up and let it drain a bit.

kookicat
May. 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
It's much easier to soak if you have the hay in a net. I usually put the net in a tub, then jam the end of the hose in the middle of the hay so it soaks from the middle out.