PDA

View Full Version : Getting new truck tires...

ayrabz
May. 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
For my 99 F250 powerstroke superduty extend cab.
Yes, my 'daily drive' but not working so thats usually local / back and forth to barn, and then of course pulling the trailer.

....Tires that are on it I have found I am just not happy with their non aggressive profile. Heck, my hubs are manual, and having to climb in and out with a wrench to get to 4WD just to not spin on simple wet grass is GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....:mad:

Anyone with a beefier but not too beefy for highway/noise type tire suggestion?

TIA!:)

tasia
May. 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
Cooper discoverer AT3, Toyo open country all terrain, Kumho KL78 all terrain.

wildlifer
May. 30, 2012, 08:59 PM
I just replaced the crappy dealer tires on my 01 F250 and while I'd love to have bought the Michelins, no one pooped money on me, so ended up with a set of Firestone AT's -- I am really impressed with them. Actually having tread gave me about a 1" lift, ROFL, and there is a massively smoother and quieter ride in the truck. Plus the tread is enough that I now have no problems pretty much anywhere and mine is 2WD. Mine's my only vehicle so it does everything too.

cowboymom
May. 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
We like Hancooks and Yokohamas, hold up well to gravel and last a long time for us. It's all we've ever bought new-we use the holy whack out of two Ford trucks, on road and off.

callmegold
May. 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
another vote for the Coopers. I got the Discoverer ATRs. Good for highway, but enough traction you won't need 4WD to get out of grass.

relocatedTXjumpr
May. 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
I just put the same tires Wildlifer mentioned on my 2WD 2500...a much beefier tire than the crappy factory set and really not all that gives me a better ride I think too.

I think I had a small stroke while pricing tires...OUCH!!!

Simbalism
May. 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
I put the Firestone AT's on my truck last fall(instead of the pricier Michelins) My truck is my main ride and the tires are not noisy on the highway and seem to be holding up well.

ayrabz
May. 31, 2012, 06:28 AM
thanks all...I appreciate it!
gonna look em all up and comp them out with my mechanic.

wildlifer
May. 31, 2012, 10:42 AM
Oh, yeah, don't look at the prices. I was very lucky -- that was my Valentine's present, but holy cod, the prices are heinous.