PDA

View Full Version : Horse Trailer Padding- Where to buy?

pryme_thyme
May. 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
I am looking to buy a used horse trailer but it does not have padding on the sides or a 'butt bar'.

Does anyone know where to buy these things in Canada?
Or what did you make yours out of if home-made?

Thank you

K

horsepoor
May. 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
You could try contacting a trailer dealer or the manufacturer of that particular trailer and they might be able to direct you. Here, we have a local trailer repair place that can also make such things, so check your local listings and make some calls. I bet you'll find something.

pryme_thyme
May. 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
What a great idea!!! Thank you!

RiverBendPol
May. 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just posted this yesterday:

It is hard to imagine anything could have helped the Pollard horses-it sounds like it was a major horror crash.

I had TB who had EPSM and riding in a trailer was his worst nightmare. He blasted his legs through the divider, he jumped the chest bar, he hooked his hind leg over the divider. A basic horror show in a grey horse suit. I tried 1000 different (failing) solutions and did make a great discovery.

http://www.dandyproducts.net/large.html

I bought the 'Folding Van Pad' for him and it was a miracle. One side of the pad was permanently attached to the trailer, the other 2 folding sections wrapped around his bottom once he was inside the trailer. It was really amazing for him. He felt secure and much happier. If he did get crampy and start kicking/bucking, he and the trailer were both protected. The pads also made it tight (and squishy) so he couldn't get up a head of steam. The Dandy guys are wonderful to work with. Maybe trailers should all be outfitted with stall liner pads. They could surely help in a wreck. I installed the pads in 2002-that particular horse is long gone, the pads are still in perfect shape. Worth a thought anyways.

Mali
May. 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
I went to my local big box home improvement store and bought the largest diameter neoprene foam pipe insulation they had. Then I cut them to fit the chest/butt bars. Then I covered them completely with duct tape. They didn't fit the whole way around the bars, but at least the sides facing the horse were covered in the foam. Then all I have to do is slip on the "covers" to hide the duct tape, and we're good to go.

Sorry OP, just read your original post that you don't even have butt bars! I thought you were inquiring about padding for them.