PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Waterer suggestions

outfoxem
May. 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Finally tired of dumping, cleaning, and refilling 12 water buckets a day!

Looking for Automatic Waterers that are easy to clean and reasonably priced. I'm not impressed by the ones I am finding in the local feed stores. Prefer a removeable bowl but have only seen those in Nelson brand and I got sticker shock from those! :eek:

Any suggestions?

trubandloki
May. 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
You do not say, are you located somewhere that freezing is an issue?

Dalemma
May. 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have these auto waterers.......no removable bowl but they are easy to clean I simply scrub them and then take a big rag and scoop all the dirty water out into a bucket..........I've had horses itch on them and not one has broken.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/DalEmma2002/autowaterer.jpg

Dalemma

Hilary
May. 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
Nelsons are expensive but if you are going to be at your place for a long time they will last. I'm on my second one and it's been installed for 11 years. Its needed one replacement part. The previous one was on the farm for 30 years.

They are easy to install, use, fix etc and they seem to be pretty horse proof.

Flagstaff Foxhunter
May. 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
While we're at it, suggestions for destructive pawing demons with size 3 to 5 hooves? We bought and installed a Bar-Bar-A and are disgusted--the paddle was bent on the first day, and we had to replace parts by day two. Has anyone figured a way to have an elevated waterer that is paw-proof but can hold a quantity of water, as opposed to a teeny bowl?

candyappy
May. 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
We had Ritchie heated waterers at our last place. They did not have a bowl you could remove, but cleaning wasn't too hard. They were installed long before we bought the place and in the 4 years we were there we had no problems. You can get them in metal and plastic models, we had both.

mpsbarnmanager
May. 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.equuspring.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=37

I have these and LOVE them! Great price and look great, just a wipe with a scotch brite pad and good to go!

Nezzy
May. 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
when i kept my horses at my BFF's place he put one nelson in the paddock. it was amazing and i loved it.

Badger
May. 30, 2012, 05:30 PM
Very happy with the Mirafount.

http://www.miraco.com/MiraFount3390.aspx

They have a one-hole version, but we like this two hole version under a fenceline so it can water two separate groups of horses.

Things I like:
1) you know if it's working and has water from a distance, because if the blue balls are visible the waterer is filled and floating the balls at the top.
2) the balls keep bugs, sunlight (algie), and dirt out of the waterer
3) water is ground water temp, so it's cooler in the summer than water sitting in a tub, and warmer in the winter
4) we ran electric to it in the midwest to prevent freezing, but didn't need to do that in the south. You can install it either way.
5) horses quickly learn to use the waterer, the blue balls can be secured to the side for the first week or two while they get used to the water, then they are released to float in place. The horses just nose the ball aside and drink fresh water.

We've used the Mirafounts with very little trouble for over 15 years in two different climates. Very happy with them.

Unfforgettable
May. 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
The "teeny bowl" in the Nelson's is my favorite feature. Extremely easy to keep clean, and if the water is adjusted properly, there isn't a horse alive that can drink it dry...it fills strong and fast. Which means the horse is always getting cool, fresh water as opposed to water that has been sitting in the sun, or has been recirculated.

Alagirl
May. 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
I have these auto waterers.......no removable bowl but they are easy to clean I simply scrub them and then take a big rag and scoop all the dirty water out into a bucket..........I've had horses itch on them and not one has broken.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/DalEmma2002/autowaterer.jpg

Dalemma

yep.
Easy clean, even if a horse manages to mistake it for a flushable toilet.

A quick rinse with the hand while you feed, done (and plenty of fresh water, depending on your water pressure).

saddleup
May. 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
They may be pricey, but I love my Nelson waterers.

gumtree
May. 31, 2012, 07:56 AM
We have a couple of Nelson waters in our small paddocks. They were here when we bought this farm 10 years ago. And they are the ONLY thing on the farm I have never had to fix anything on. Have never Frozen.
When the big horse wins the first thing we will spent the money on is field/pasture waters! There is always one in every crowd that likes to “play” in the tanks we use now, as another poster pointed out, so I would not consider any that are low to the ground. So we will go with these,
http://www.equuspring.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=40
Friends in Kentucky recommend them. I am a big fan of people’s recommendations that have already paid for the research.

walktrot
May. 31, 2012, 01:21 PM
My b/o put in 7 Nelsons a number of years ago, and they rarely have problems. My horse happened to be on the dumber end of learning to use one. He kept holding out for a tank until I popped a couple of pieces of apple in the bowl. We are always getting new horses coming in and they seem to have no problems adapting.

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Jun. 1, 2012, 12:32 AM
We have a couple of Nelson waters in our small paddocks. They were here when we bought this farm 10 years ago. And they are the ONLY thing on the farm I have never had to fix anything on. Have never Frozen.
When the big horse wins the first thing we will spent the money on is field/pasture waters! There is always one in every crowd that likes to “play” in the tanks we use now, as another poster pointed out, so I would not consider any that are low to the ground. So we will go with these,
http://www.equuspring.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=40
Friends in Kentucky recommend them. I am a big fan of people’s recommendations that have already paid for the research.

Those look VERY promising!!! :)

Except why the heck did they have to get involved with HSUS ( well, it's only an endorsement, but ICK!)