PDA

View Full Version : Let's Meet!

ponykid
Jan. 14, 2000, 09:57 AM
Hi, I am new on the board (although I am an avid Chronicle junior reader) and I was wondering if everyone would take a minute to introduce themselves- their horses, hobbies (well, I guess it would be horses!), what they ride in, et cetera. I know that many of you already know each other (Portia, Lucien, Barb, Ben & Me...) but I would love to get to know you! I'll start. I am fourteen and I live in the south, I have a children's hunter and a large pony hunter, I love science, I want to be an ambassador to the UN when I grow up, and I love horses! I might be getting an adorable corgi soon (my yellow lab Jasper had to be put to sleep recently), I have a rabbit named Matilda, and a cat named Annabelle.

ponykid
Jan. 14, 2000, 09:57 AM
Hi, I am new on the board (although I am an avid Chronicle junior reader) and I was wondering if everyone would take a minute to introduce themselves- their horses, hobbies (well, I guess it would be horses!), what they ride in, et cetera. I know that many of you already know each other (Portia, Lucien, Barb, Ben & Me...) but I would love to get to know you! I'll start. I am fourteen and I live in the south, I have a children's hunter and a large pony hunter, I love science, I want to be an ambassador to the UN when I grow up, and I love horses! I might be getting an adorable corgi soon (my yellow lab Jasper had to be put to sleep recently), I have a rabbit named Matilda, and a cat named Annabelle.

Jody
Jan. 14, 2000, 02:25 PM
Hi! I'm Jody. I am finishing law school this May. I'm 23 and have my BSBA in Buisness Management from the University of Florida. I'm single, but dating a tremedous guy, who supports my obsession. In addition to my horsey habbit, I ice skate, play piano, and help run a children's choir at my church. I usually ride in the open jumpers and own and work with a few horses. I also enjoy dressage. I do teach some lessons, but am so busy right now one of my working students is running the show. I live in Florida. I'll always remeber at the last WEF running around and teaching on crutches after an ice skating accident landed me with a broken ankle. Great idea about this post... I know names, but don't know much about the people behind them! =)

[This message has been edited by Jody (edited 01-15-2000).]

Louise
Jan. 14, 2000, 02:39 PM
I'll go. Hi Ponykid, welcome to the board. I live in the Northeast and have two horses, one thourobred and one polish warmblood, both, unfortunately retired - so I'm grounded right now. I ride dressage, so what am I doing on this board?

1. I like the people on this board
2. I like the ideas expressed
3. I may ride dressage(and love it), but I also love to watch hunter/jumper and am always willing to learn more about the disciplines.

As for age, well, lets just say that I'm considerably older than you are and leave it at that. And, as for what I want to be when I grow up -- retired, so I can spend more time riding and being with my horses.

Have fun on this board, we'll look forward to hearing from you.

Portia
Jan. 14, 2000, 02:48 PM
Well, it's so hard for me to talk about myself, but if you insist /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

41 years old, single, lawyer with a mega-firm, lived in Houston since '86, before that born and raised in California (San Diego, family is still in CA). Graduated with a degree in Dramatic Arts from San Diego State, then after a few years went back to law school at University of San Diego.

I grew up riding saddleseat, then rode off and on for a while through school, took it up again seriously 8 years ago. Evented for a while and now do the adult jumpers up to 3'6" - 3'9".

Two horses, 12 year old chestnut Trakehner gelding Lucien and 4 year old grey Oldenburg mare Portia, both are jumpers but my trainer shows Portia.

Three cats, 10 year old grey female tabby named Greyling [a/k/a her evil twin, Grelnig], and two 8 month old kittens, sisters, a black and white named Monster and a grey/brown/white tabby named Creature. Love dogs but not home enough to keep one so I spoil the barn dogs.

Ben and Me
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:01 PM
Oh wow Ponykid, I'm honored that you mentioned my name, I'm probably one of the youngest posters on this forum! I'm 13, show in Children's Hunters, and live in NC. My horse, Ben, is a TB Gelding, 15 years old, around 16.1 hands. We're going to be looking for a scopier horse sometime soon. I've been riding since I was 5 and I really love horses! I like all of the people on this forum and enjoy learning from all of their expirience.

Welcome!

Gry2Yng
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:13 PM
Okay, I'll play.
Also started out riding Saddlebreds, moved to the h/j's as soon as a I saw my first jumper - I was about 10. Took the usual time off to chase boys, drive cars and go to college. Bought my 16.3h, TB, G exactly 3 years ago. Started him in the 3'6"'s and then found eventing.
My gelding is 18, so he will continue to be ridden at Novice and Training for as long as he is sound and happy. I am looking for a horse to do my first CCI*.

I am 31, live in Chicago have a Siberian Huskie, Nanook and a husband who plays a lot of golf and thinks he wants children some time soon. (Ben-want to be adopted?) I am a commercial real estate lender with a boss that understands my "much more than a hobby" hobby. My hair turned gray in my early 20's.

Love this board and the opinions expressed.

N&B&T
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:23 PM
Oh well...44, recently single again, family from MA, moved to south FL in 1957, back to MA in 1967, back to south FL (which I found considerably changed) as an adult in 1986.

BA Dartmouth College 1977, double major in English and Biology/Psychology. One thesis short of MS in marine ecology. (Just for you, Portia--one semester law school, wrong hoops for me...<G> ) Conventional jobs include: Stringer for regional newspaper; magazine industry; litigation legal assistant, non-legal writing. Unconventional jobs include: hotel and restaurant industries; picture framing; PADI SCUBA instructor and divemaster in FL and Bahamas. Current plans in process.

Rode in teens, pony club, local shows, with a great old-time horseman (who probably would horrify some people now <G> ) and stopped in college. Re-obsessed 3 years ago, one-plus year layoff when first horse retired. Now very happy owner of 12yo TB gelding...who knows what we will accomplish <G>.

Visitation rights and pet support of 3 great cats. My wonderful Dobie was put down last summer, and I'm preparing for a new Dobie puppy now. Also like reading fiction, tennis, all things marine, writing and debating <G>, comparative religion, philosophy, ethics...etc.

[This message has been edited by Nancey Phillips Fisher (edited 01-14-2000).]

VA
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:29 PM
Today is my LAST day working at the University of Virginia in beautiful Charlottesville. I'm taking some time off to travel then who knows.

I'm 25 and have always been a horse nut. I have dabbled in many different areas from equitation to 3day. I play polo with my boyfriend now, though I'm missing those jumps terribly! I've mucked, taught lessons, groomed, managed a small facility and generally just done anything necessary to keep me around these wonderful creatures.

I no longer have my own horse, but would love to buy a foxhunter next.

BTW, for those single gals on the board, there are a lot of sexy men playing polo.

Tap2Tango
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:47 PM
Hi My name is Stephanie. I'm 14 but I'll be 15 in less than two weeks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I have been riding since I was 5 and half. I have a 15 year old TB Childrens hunter who is sadly laid up till summer.(a breif update for all you, he seems to be getting worse and not better /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) I also have a Large pony who is semi retired. I also do vaulting. I play locrosse and I cheerlead. I'm not sure what I want to do when I grow up. Maybe an FBI agent or a photographer. I guess that's about it!

Betsy Fox
Jan. 14, 2000, 03:55 PM
Hi there! I'm 32 years old and live in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Moved here 2 years ago from Middleburg, Virginia because of work - am still adjusting!) I have 4 horses, 3 dogs, a cat and a goat.

Horse 1: 6 yr old QH that is a saint for my husband to ride (beginner) western
Horse 2: 2 yr old paint. Have had him since he was a weanling - is adorable but spoiled - incredible mover.
Horse 3: 4 yr old 17h TB G - investment pre-green horse - trying to sell - too many horses!
Horse 4: 14yr old TB G - has done it all and is very fancy - spend a fortune keeping him sound but he's a perfect boy

Dogs: Whiteny (grt. pyrnees); Henry (st. Bernard); and Echo (cocker spaniel)

Goat: Felix. Generic Pygmy - adorable - 8wks old

Husband: Animal lover (thank you!!) and sweet as they come

Utah is not exactly hunter/jumper land. It is not unusual for me to be riding at the equestrian park across the street from my house and to have western riding kids ask me what kind of saddle I have. I often get strange looks! This board is great to read because I feel like I can somehow stay connected!

Welcome!

Louise
Jan. 14, 2000, 04:39 PM
Off the thread, but Sparkles, sometimes things look worse before they get better. What does your vet say?

SoEasy
Jan. 14, 2000, 05:49 PM
Ok My turn I guess.
My name is April and I am (ew)46, married, two kids in college. I currently work for the PA Dept of Environmental Protection in the State 'superfund' program. I have an Akita named Flash - a great mover - and the kids two cats live with us. (for some reason they are not allowed in dorms, or even apartments where their owner is the only non-allergic person around!)
I have been riding since I was 2 - with the requisite time off in college. Rode in France for 3 years as a kid, with old Saumur hands as instructors, came back to Pickering Pony Club, back when combined training was the only Rally they had, fox hunted, did h/j. I was the barn rider for a dealer in high school, and often got to ride the 'unrideable' horses from other peoples barns. Worked after college as a trainer, then at Heritage Saddlery in West Chester, PA. Still live on the farm I grew up on - my sister is a trainer. I bought an 'investment' horse off the track years ago, fell in love with him and kept him for >11 years. We fox hunted, and could win in the hunter or jumper ring, sometimes on the same day. He broke his hock in the field in 12/98. I still miss him. I don't own a horse right now - Easy is irreplaceable! (not that I have any available funds - I send all my money to either RIT or USC!)
I am riding a very nice Roemer mare these days, for her currently non-riding owner.

Oh yeah almost forgot Weatherford and I go back a ways !

[This message has been edited by SoEasy (edited 01-14-2000).]

barngirl
Jan. 14, 2000, 06:41 PM
Great Idea ponykid... I too have felt like i was starting to know some people on the board, but it is nice to get to know them a little better... so here goes...
I am 27 and live in southern Michigan south of Ann Arbor, for all the University of Michigan fans... I'm not one.. graduated from Indiana University in 1995!!!!
I bought my first horse four years ago.. Riley is a tb gelding.. whom many posters know I have been having problems with and whom I hope to find a nice retired type setting for very soon. My other two horse came to me this summer when my birthmother whom I had found five years ago passed away from cancer in may. One horse Mickey ( short for Michaelangelo) is registered Dutch warmblood. He is five and came to me untrained. We have been bonding since August and are getting down to the task of learning to be a hunter/jumper. Last wekend he showed he does have jump and I am very excited. My third horse is Tiara a registered Swedis Warmblood mare. She is 14 and no one had really done anything with her.. so we are overcoming a battle of wills... she wants to be a boss mare and i want to see her potential and hopefully breed her..though I realize that time is running out on that. Hopefully we will be showing on the B-circuit this summer. though i am not sure that Mickey will be ready.
I love my small but close barn and spend my whole weekend there, and just about every evening. Come home eat, watch a little tv and then check the board before going to bed!!! I have learned alot and hope to continue to get new ideas from the forum.
Oh I also have two cats... Milo an male Manx ( no tail cat!!!) and SLinky a looooong black cat who was dumped at the barn and who we needed at the apartment for Milo because he was getting fat and lazy with out a daytime buddy!!

stephanie
Jan. 14, 2000, 06:41 PM
i'm relatively new to this board, too. i discovered it when i had some free time at christmas, and have become addicted to it, i must say. luckily i work in computers (i produce web sites for a public television show) so it's easy for me to check in. One of my favorite things about this board (and about riding, too, more generally) is that it joins together people of all different ages. I'm 31, and love hanging out with the juniors at my barn (and i learn stuff from their mothers, too). I ride at a hunter jumper barn near boston, with the same trainer i had when i was a kid. I took quite a few years off (btw 16 and 28) but have gotten completely back into it. Unfortunately, my job prevents me from having a horse full time during the year, but for the past 2 years i've done short term leases on a two sweet warmbloods. spent the first summer back at 2'6"; ;last summer doing some adult hunters, and i'm hoping to do some low jumpers on a horse at my barn this coming summer. I ride 4 days a week on a good week, on all sorts of horses, from problem school horses to some very fancy show horses that need hacking for their owners.

oh, and i'm single, too, and appreciate the tip about polo!

and to portia-- i went to law school, too, but couldn't hack the corporate scene. i admire you for sticking it out. sometimes i regret giving it up; i might be able to afford a nice horse by now....

anyway--this is probably more than you all wanted to know, but i'm enjoying everyone's thoughts.

Tap2Tango
Jan. 14, 2000, 07:29 PM
Louise: People have told me about it getting worse before it gets better. It was starting to look good util he popped the stitches open. I really don't think it's ever goin gto seal up! Has anyone else ever had something simalar to this? How long did it take to close up? The vet is coming out @ 8:30 tomorrow to consider taking the drain out, and any other options we may have.

Erin
Jan. 14, 2000, 08:34 PM
Oh, what the heck /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'm 26, single, live in Tempe AZ and am the Chronicle's West Coast correspondent/webmaster. I previously lived in Middleburg VA (hi Betsy!), and Ithaca NY before that (Cornell Univ. class of '95, degree in communication/animal science), and I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.

I've been riding forever, did Pony Club and have been eventing since about age 8, up through preliminary. I have two horses... my old event horse, Shamrock (Rocky), 23, TB/App who I've had since he was 10. He went to NY and VA with me, and is now here in AZ and semi-retired. I just got a new "project" in September... 8-y-o off-the-track TB named Chief who I hope to event later this year. Our goal is to do a 3-day before I'm 30 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Also have a cat named Gus who's very old and grouchy.

Very into music and the internet (see http://www.geocities.com/~eharty). Enjoying spending some time at home after traveling to cover more than 15 competitions for the Chronicle last year, and gearing up to spend a whole lotta time at Indio!

[This message has been edited by Erin (edited 01-14-2000).]

Weatherford
Jan. 14, 2000, 09:10 PM
OK - SoEasy put me up to it (we do go back a ways, as she said, & I think I should add that she did not mention she won Prelim 3-day at Essex many years ago. So in addition to being a very, very nice person and very supportive of me during more than one difficult time, she is very modest about her riding).

I am 45 (eeek), grew up with horses (and dairy cows) in NJ - foxhunted (with my family, including my great Aunt who continued to hunt til she was in her late 70's early 80's - blue hair, side-saddle & all!)... First horse show on first birthday - although, I will admit, I do not remember it ;-)... PC'd - was lucky to have two incredible ponies - a small and later a large - who could do anything! Did the Jr/Amy jumpers - then went to college (Sarah Lawrence), then grad school (UofVA - MBA) (during which times my riding was relegated to pleasure & hunting when I could), then did the A/O jumpers again...then long story, but back to pleasure riding & then grad school again (MA in Music) and then another attempt at getting to A/O's (on the same pleasure horse/foxhunter that I had had for a while). Retired him, now making yet another attempt to get to the A/O's on another project...

Had a thriving out-of-print horse book business - til I decided I'd rather buy than sell books (hence the over 25,000 in my house and barn). Since leaving the business world, I have been working as a writer - primarily technical articles and online help for large corporations. Have just officially retired to return full time to my first love (tied with horses) of writing music.

Am going to WPB for the first time in a couple of days - will be doing all my own work and attempting to at least get around the A/A jumpers...If anyone from here is there, email me - I will have my laptop!

Oh, forgot to mention my wonderful lurcher puppy - blue merle, short coat, and getting taller daily...

[This message has been edited by Weatherford (edited 01-15-2000).]

Flash44
Jan. 14, 2000, 10:09 PM
I will not tell you how old I am.

I live in MD, married, one adorable 2 y.o. son who makes me laugh all day. Did a little showing (hunters) on the very local level as a teen, then got into racing for the next 12 years (whoops, giving away my age). Got my present horse, 9 y.o. TB off the track when i hung up my exercise saddle for the last time (to date). I do the Adult Amateurs with him, and am a TRUE amateur in that I only ride about 4 times a week and work full time as a PI. I have been all over the Eastern US and Kentucky working with some of the most wonderfully generous race horses in the country. Glad to have gotten out of Saratoga without a visit to the jail or emergency room.

Snowbird
Jan. 14, 2000, 11:02 PM
This reminds me of when I went in the hospital to have my last baby and I felt like I was everyone else's mother.

I've got kids older than all of you and grandchildren as old as most of you. So I won't tell you my age.

I was in love with horses all my life and bought the first barn because there was no one who would teach the pure love of the sport to my kids. Brought down from Canada my old riding instructor a very rare man by the name of Roger Vigneau.

He and Sullivan Davis, along with some really special people like Max Palmer, you may have heard of, Les Haigh from the British Cavalry, Otto Burneleit was an old Prussian Cavalryman who rode with Lawrence of Arabia (probably a mercenary)They were all determined that I should learn properly and subjected me to all the classic debates. During my 5 years at Suburban I was exposed to every school of riding and every discipline. These gentlemen made it all into one beautiful joy of the horse.

farmgate
Jan. 15, 2000, 12:25 AM
What the heck. A good friend of mine laughs when the question of age comes up. He points at me and says, "She won't tell... but I know for a fact... she planted the oak trees in the ring at Upperville!" I want to clear up that whole misunderstanding. I'm not THAT old!

I was five when Santa delivered my first pony. Rode almost nonstop with camping, dog shows, field trials, foxhunting, and a couple of rock concerts thrown in. Showed when and where I could through high school with various horses. Saw the Disney movie, The Horse Masters and decided that was much more to my liking than Med school. Completely disappointed my father and headed off to England for Porlock Vale Riding Academy. Once back in the states, taught lessons, broke youngsters,worked for a Quarter horse fellow awhile, whipped in for a hunt, ran a couple of boarding barns and lesson programs,judged some,then bought this farm,scaled down the boarding and mainly taught.

I consider myself semi-retired now. I have 20 some ponies here on the farm of varying ages. Stand four stallions and show youngsters on the line. Once in awhile, I sell one.

Three, soon to be four, dogs. One cat, a canary and a Yellow Nape Amazon parrot.

Other interests include, architecture,antiques,ancient history,clocks,gardening,traveling,[there's no place like Rome!]anything from the Federal period,and reading.

One son. Who is nearly perfect.

This board is great fun. [Plus, it makes me work on sentence structure and correct spelling.]

[This message has been edited by farmgate (edited 01-15-2000).]

Torey
Jan. 15, 2000, 12:57 AM
Hi, age 40 something(early 40's)Been riding since I was 11yrs. old with a break for collage, first marriage and separation. First thing I did when I separated was start riding again. Trained a QH/TB cross gelding who started out barrel racing and team roping to A/A Hunter Reserve Champion year-end award in 1992. Purchased a green 8yr. old TB gelding last year(picked him up New's Year's Eve). Hope to do pre-green's with him this year, then will see about A/A's or 1st year's, depending on how brave I am. Married, husband has 2 horses and team ropes. Have a cat and a black lab x blue heeler. Oh yeah from So. CT. and ride with the BEST trainer. Got that year end all by myself as she was not able to attend more than 2 shows with me. Definate pet-peeve is/are riders who don't do anything without their trainers. This is fun....Have been reading these forums at work(during lunch) and just decided to register as I'm sitting home with one of the cold bugs that's going around. Wish you all good times.

LucianCephus
Jan. 15, 2000, 06:39 AM
Stephanie--

A bit off the topic, but could you tell me who you train with? As most people on this board know, I suffer from OCD when it comes to barns in the Boston area. Happy where I am for now, but who knows?

Incidentally, my ponies are currently at Castle Neck in Essex.

Pony Fan
Jan. 15, 2000, 09:01 AM
Well, if everyone else is fessing up....

Nearly 48 years ago (I'm proudly celebrating that landmark on the day we arrive at the WEF - apropos or what!), a daughter was born to two lovely but completely non-horsey city dwelling parents. Like some weird changeling child, my folks had no idea how they could have had a kid who was totally horse crazy. It certainly wasn't in the genes for me to choose this sport...I'm barely 4'10" and "solidly" built. But nevertheless, from the time I was in fourth grade I found a way to ride. My daughter loves the "Abe Lincolnesque" style story of how each week I would walk miles to get to a publc barn in Brooklyn to rent a horse. As I got older, I was able to convince my folks to send me to "riding camps" in the summer as well. My folks were never really involved in this area of my life. In fact I think my mother made it to 3 horse shows in my life (just before my mother passed away she was still telling people riding was a phase I was going through...I'd been riding for 18 years at that point!). But to my folks credit they did support my addiction and finally at 16, after years of catch riding anything that was offered to me, I got my first horse. I did the Junior Hunters/Jumpers and the big equitation. In fact I may hold some kind of record for number of 2nds in the Medal and Maclay!

But I loved trying everything with horses and so after I got out of juniors my horsey career got really...."eclectic"! I evented in college, then moved out west for graduate school where I rode saddle seat - park horses. In fact I had an Appy that won the State Ch. in Park beating all the saddlebreds, morgans and arabs. I rode arabs and had two Top 10 finishes in Western Pleasure. Then I moved on to Quarter Horses, doing Reining, Working Cow Horse and Cutting.

Then comes a LOOOONNG break when I was heavily involved in my careeer and decided horses were just too expensive. I got back into one of my first loves, showing and breeding dogs. As a kid, before I got my horse, I showed dogs. During this phase of my life I became a fairly well known breeder/exhibitor and an AKC judge and discovered it was just as pricey to be really competitive in dogs as horses.

Fast forward to the birth of my daughter. My husband says I conditioned her from the womb to love horses. Okay....I'm not quite Skinner but there may be some truth to that. I started her with a really good trainer when she was 7 and made sure I gave her "all the advantages I never had" along the way in terms of consistently good coaches and quality equipment - although I drew the line at push button "packer ponies" who cost the same as a college education. She's pretty much had to make all the ponies she's had with adult support and supervision. My daughter at 13 is a better rider than I ever was/will be and I take a lot of pleasure in her accomplishments. Like the best broodmare, I've produced better than myself! Plus, I've managed to "breed" what most pony breeders wish for - a full time "pony jockey" who's never going to outgrow the division! In fact, George Morris has recently taken her on as a student and will be working with her and her pony jumpers at West Palm (and NO we are NOT made of money and YES, he is a wonderful, insightful coach who is as quick to praise and support her as he is to correct her - so NO GEORGE BASHING AROUND ME!!) .

I used to tell people that my goal was to move to New England and raise ponies and I'm pretty close to achieving that dream. While I still work in Arts Administration, I have a whole mess of ponies, prospects and keepers, who my daughter and I train and show. We have a mother/daughter business locating hairy, scruffy beasts from small farms and breeders and turning them into A circuit show ponies. I've even finally bred my own pony who I hope to take to Devon on the line this year.

As for personal facts...have a terrific non-horsey husband who's an actor/director, 5 dogs, a cat, 2 guinea pigs, 2 ferrets, 5 ponies and a Hanoverian.

So the moral of all this... I don't know! I'm still in the middle of the story!!

Justbay
Jan. 15, 2000, 11:54 AM
What a great idea!
I started riding at 9 when I won a bet with my father if I got straight A's I would get a pony. I got that in writing and told my teacher about it. The A's came and so did the pony - a 14.2 Qh with a roached mane and banged tail, who I tried bareback! He ended up winning everything on our local circuit as a hunter pony and taught many kids how to ride at my trainer's stable for 20 years! From that I was lucky enough to move on to "fancy" ponies - from Mrs. Taylor. I had a successful time on the A circuit with my ponies until going off to college. After college I got back into horses, trying eventing and dressage but now have come back to my original obsession - hunters. Right now I have 6:
Yrlg IHF tb who is my first experience at breeding myself and is lovely. I hope to see him show on the line this year. I own his mother as well who I will most likely breed to Zarr this spring.

10 y.o. Tb gelding who is my A/A horse that I brought back after 2 yrs suffering from white line disease. He did the a/o and green comf before getting hurt and I am lucky to be able to ride him.

5 yo Tb/Han gelding that I raised from a yearling who is competing in the 1st yrs and green conf with my trainer this year.

2 y.o. welsh pony prospect (can't stay away from the ponies!)

7 y.o QH who trail rides.

3 yo minature donkey. Sh rules the roost.

I am 33 and marred to someone who truly understands my addiction! I work for a major publishing company to pay to support this addiction. I keep all but my 5 yo at my own place.

AAJumper
Jan. 15, 2000, 12:00 PM
Hi...I'm Michelle and I'm 30, and I've been riding since I was a sophomore at UCLA. I was born in Los Angeles, and I currently live just outside the city limits.

I wanted a horse as long as I can remember (it was always #1 on the list to Santa), but wasn't able to get one until I had a car to drive myself to the barn and money to support a horse. I started out grooming in exchange for lessons, and when I was given a very old school horse, I cleaned a few stalls to pay board (it was a clean-your-own stall place, so I cleaned stalls for those who didn't want to).

Fast forward...I am now a civil engineer and I feel very fortunate to have found a trainer two years ago that I just think is so great! I do the A/A jumpers on my TB named Tulie. He is quite a character, and I have known him since I started riding, as he was owned by my first trainer. I have owned him for almost 2 years, and it has been quite a learning experience, but fun as well. We are looking forward to our second year at Indio. We're leaving in less than 2 weeks and I'm very excited.

My husband thinks I'm sort of nuts, being so obsessed with the horses (and now with the horse message boards). But I have to have a strong hobby since he works 24 hour shifts approximately 14 days out of the month as an firefighter.

Check out my webpage at http://members.aol.com/dilberta99/tulie.html

BostonBanker
Jan. 15, 2000, 04:09 PM
Well, I've been hanging around on this forum for weeks now without saying a word, so I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Betsy - I'm 20 and live in Vermont. I'm an animal science student looking ahead to grad school. I've ridden for about 8 years, mostly hunters. I've started riding dressage, and (finally!) got my own horse three months ago, a wonderful 3 yr old Hanoverian named Tristan, who I plan to show hunters and dressage. My username is in honor of the love of my life, the old TB I rode for years (Anyone out there from Ox Ridge? Last I heard he was there...). I work in the barn and teach lessons to pay for my horse, so that's about the only "interest" I have time for!

Kate
Jan. 15, 2000, 04:38 PM
I've been horse-obsessed since the age of 5. I'm an anomoly in my family in that I'm the only one who has ever been a horse person. One of my first riding lessons was with Sally Swift, in Vermont while my family was there on a vacation. She told me I had "great potential" and was a "natural" so that encouraged me to keep riding. Today I do the A/A jumpers in the NE, and work as a marketing executive in a computer advisory firm. When I'm not at the barn with my horse, I'm at home with my non-horsey but becoming very horse knowledgable boyfriend who is totally supportive of my horse habit, my two cats. I used to be a musician (flutist) and avid skiier and tennis player, but all my discretionary time and money is now sunk into horses horses horses, oh did I mention horses?

luv-tb's
Jan. 15, 2000, 05:23 PM
Hi ponykid, my name is Lynne and I am new to the forum. I am 33, live in Wisconsin, and work as an RN in a coronary care unit. I have loved horses all my life but wasn't able to purchase one until I was a grown-up. I bought Brandi, my TBg, off the track and with a lot of love, patience, and hard work, have turned my runaway, racetrack reject into a quiet, rhythmic winning hunter. Most of the shows I go to are local, but I have shown at some rated shows with good success. I board Brandi at a very nice farm owned by a friend of mine who also rides hunters. I am married, no kids, but have two very spoiled cats, Baxter and Arlene. Getting to know each other was a great idea, it helps to better understand the posts when you have an idea what people's backgrounds and experiences are.

J. Turner
Jan. 15, 2000, 06:58 PM
Hi, I'm Jessica. I'm 29 and live in Cambridge, MA. I'm an English teacher at Dan vers High School. I used to ride a lot. I don't anymore because of time and money. I've been taking lessons at Castle Neck Farm in Hamilton, MA.

I grew up in East Haddam, CT and had a pony, then a horse at home. I took few formal lessons, save the school of hard knocks. My first pony was Ann Guptill's pony, Pumpernickel, a 12.2 half-Hackney, quarter-Morgan, quarter-Welsh. She knocked me off on a daily basis. Then I had Willy, a strawberry roan 12.0 pony. I rode him bareback all the time, even to church! I tied him up in the graveyard! Then I had Phyllis, a Quarter Horse/Morgan mare, 15.2, who was a doll and taught me a lot. Then we moved where we couldn't have horses at home. I went to high school in Old Lyme, CT. I babysat for a couple that had polo ponies, so I got to ride them.

After I went to college I started riding again at some local-yokel places and took formal lessons. Then I went to ride with Wynn Weischet at Cedar Brook Farm, on the suggestion of my part-time boss, Katie Battison's mom. That's where I met Katie Battison, then a short-stirrup kid. I moved around a bit in college, but bought a off the tracker, named Lorenzo -- a rogue who trotted around with his head straight in the air for an entire winter. But one day he decided it would be easier to be a hunter and went uphill from there. We did Conn HJ Adult Medal Finals in 1993. He did NEHC and Rhode Island Jr Finals that year with his half lessee. I rode with Beverly Vars then. After college I worked for Practical Horseman for a little while and lived in West Chester, PA. I kept Lorenzo (show name Merchant of Venice)at a really nice, dream private facility. An excellent junior whose parents owned it helped me with Lorenzo and showed him for me while I did the local adults. I moved back to Connecticut and Lorenzo stayed there on lease, but I did the Local Hunters at Devon that spring of 1995. We got a fourth and, with Rachel Baker up, a first and a fourth.

Then Lorenzo came back north and went to a barn in Norwalk where he did the A circuit for little bit with a junior. When the lease was up, we went elsewhere with my friend/trainer who I'm trying to track down (Matt Izzo, if anyone has heard of him). Then he went back to the Norwalk barn and promptly got colitis and lost 200 lbs. I moved him to Cedar Brook Farm and showed and lessoned with Wynn. But then I moved to Atlanta and couldn't afford to take Lorenzo, so he stayed on lease. I returned in August to the CHJA Hunter/Eq Finals that I had qualified for and got a seventh in the Hunter Classic and a callback in the eq. I sold Lorenzo to his lessee and in 1998 he was NEHC/CHJA Adult Hunter Champion. He is semi-retired now.

While in Atlanta I worked at a camp in the riding program and got to ride some nice and lots of not-so-nice horses. One was a 13.3 racking pony who jumped 3'6"! I also rode with Elizabeth Warmington while I was in Atlanta.

Then I moved back to New England. I'm married two years and just found out that I'm pregnant -- so no riding for a long time :-( I don't anticipate having the money. Ah, sacrifices, sacrifices. I'm actually happy, don't worry.

So, that's me!

SillyRider
Jan. 15, 2000, 07:47 PM
Hey You Guys! (It was neat to read everybodies enties.)

I am SillyRider and I am nineteen years old. I just turned professional almost two years ago (as soon as I turned 18). I now ride other people's horses and have no horse to call my own (soo sad), I also teach lessons. I have my own barn, which I have had since I was nine years old. I grow up in the south, where there were horses always around me. Between shows I try to manage college (gosh thats be a trip). Before I turned pro. I had four horses: my pony, who sadly passed away, my small hunter, my large hunter, and my eq horse. I miss them so much!! Anyway! thats me.

My most recent news is that I am preparing to go to Fla. just like most everybody on this board.

Pat
Jan. 15, 2000, 09:12 PM
OK, my turn.

My name is Pat (duh) and I live in East Rutherford, NJ. Not a particularly horsy locale, but it was handy when I worked in NYC. I'm 28 and live with my equally horsey boyfriend, Mike. He lets me share his 2 TB's with him, Lucky (Nonchalant) and Beamer. Mike is Columbia University's Intercolligiate coach. Mike hauls horses on the side, keep us in mind if you ever need a lift to a show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Right now I work part time at a tack shop and part time teaching mostly up-downers at Vicki's old place, Montclair Riding Academy. (old Suburban Essex) Ooohh Vicki, I do hope you took better care of it when it was yours, can you say eeewwww? Their money is still green so I deal with it. What I want is my own barn, but that's a little out of my wallet's reach. I'm trying to come up with the funds to start a little sales operation, just a handful of horses, nothing more than one person can handle alone.

Anyway, I have a BA in Horsemanship from Virginia Intermont College, '93. Sometimes I feel like there isn't anybody I HAVEN'T worked for since graduation. But the most notable places I've worked at are Ri-Arm and Chelsea Equestrian Center. (now there's a hostile working environment.

I'm kind of the gutless wonder, so I don't show much. I've done a little dressage, but the hunters and jumpers are more my thing. One of these days I'll get the hang of Lucky and do the jumpers with him.

Oh, and I have a rabbit named Buster, and one fish, a pleco named Slurp. Slurp is nearly 7 years old! I must have some kind of mutant fishy or it could just be the NJ water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Pat (edited 01-15-2000).]

Shivaree
Jan. 15, 2000, 09:33 PM
Hi, I have only posted here once before (under the name Fedora), but have been hiding & only reading for a while. My name is Jodie, & I'm 15. I live in south Jersey & I am a Sophomore in high school. I show my horse Fedora in the Small Junior Hunters in Zone 2. We mostly do PA & NJ shows. Dora & I finished a successful 1999 year in the Children's Hunter Horse & ended up Champion in Zone 2. I don't do much outside of riding, since it takes up so much time. I play the flute in my school's Concert band. This will be my last year b/c I am taking Behavioral Science in my Junior year instead. I do plan to practice at home. I also play the piccolo, & have taught myself to play the piano & Irish tin whistle. My favorite subject in school is Biology. At this point, I plan to become a forensic scientist (we'll see, hehe). If not, I want to stay with science & maybe become a high school science teacher- Biology (maybe earth science or physical science), or go into the FBI. That would be cool, but for investigating crimes. I probably ride as an adult. Just depends, we'll see when the time comes. I would like to become a judge though. I have 6 dogs, 2 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 horse, 1 mini-donkey, & 2 ponies (aren't actually mine). And yes, they all live at my house.
Bye-
Jodie

Becca
Jan. 15, 2000, 10:44 PM
I'm Rebecca Payson, but everyone calls me Becca (or a variation /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My littlest brother calls me Becula- ever since he was 2, and heard that Ricola add). I was born in connecticut, and lived there for my first 3 years, having had a pony since the day I was born (Tag Along, I still have her /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I started riding at about 2 (Which my mother now insists she must have been crazy for). When I was 3, I went to my First show, Children Services, and did the leadline. I still have my cherished Blue Ribbon /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And that number.

From there, its history. We moved to NH, and our current home, built that up, adding 400 acres, and a gorgous barn. The indoor is yet to come /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But eventually! My mom has always trained me, when i was about 5, we did a stint in the Pony Club thing, and i insisted Dressage was my fave. thing in the world ( When you have a pony who moves like tag, and win every time, who wouldn't?) But then I learned to jump, and never went back to dressage. We stopped pony Club a few years ago, not having enough time to do that and show, and when mom stopped being our DC, the fun left, and it became too strict- no fun. So we devoted out time to showing entirely.
Somehwere in there, another sister and 2 brothers were born, bringing us to my current family of 7.
As for me, I am slightly egotistical, find myself rather invinceable, and don't take myself very seriously, except for my goals. To someday become a vet, lawyer, astronaut, president, marine biologist, go to Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, or oxford, graduate valedictorian of my class, finish top 10 at Maclay finals, train a young horse to be my ammy jumper eventually, and give my kids everything my parents have given me.

I had several horses and ponies in between, even a wonderful rescue case Sojourner who died due to the preious malnutrition, but she taught me so much, and then we got Taffy. I'll never ever find a horse as wonderful as him- ever again. He knows everything, and is awesome at everything.
I did the short stirrup thing, ponies until I finally, and sadly outgrew them, and then the Childrens. Now doing Jr Hunters, and jr Jumpers, starting to get serious about the Medals, and had a rude awakening that I now only have 2 Jr. Years left. And we reach today /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know I have rambled, i have a special talent for that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Its been a pleasure getting to know more about all of you.
This was a good idea to do!

snickers
Jan. 15, 2000, 10:54 PM
I'll give is a shot. Just passed the quarter century mark, I know, didn't bother me until someone put it that way.

Grew up on a farm. Mom rode 3-day before me, and meet my dad at the World Champs when they were in DE in the 60's?? She was fifth I just found out!!!

Rode many ponies, wish I could have stayed a junior just for that. I can still fit a medium and not look too bad.

Quit riding when my parents divorced during sixth garde. Got the bug back in high school and convinced Dad that I HAD to have a junior hunter. He relented and I had fun. Moderate success, but learned a lot.

Went to college at West Chester University, rode on the team. Had a blast, it was one of the best experiences! Worked as a groom during the summers. Learned a lot, from various trainers.

Graduated in 1995 with a degree in Elementary Education. Took a few months off to groom in Indio. Gotta love the weather.

Currently, have had my fill of substitute teaching. Four years was enough!! Working in a horse related field. They don't give me strange looks when I ask off for a show!

Love country music, avid reader, keep the points for the local organization, date many men that refuse to go near a horse!! Oh well!

And as the song goes, "that's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Kim
Jan. 16, 2000, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone!

What a great idea! Here goes:

My name is Kim. I'm 31 years old and live in a suburb of Boston, MA, where I grew up. I'm a sports writer/equine journalist, which is a lot of fun. I often cover horse shows for the Chronicle (which I love!) and have a wonderful new horse book coming out later this year from Half Halt Press. (By the way, we are looking for some "feel good" horse stories, so feel free to contact me if you have an idea!)

I began riding at the age of 13, which is fairly late compared to the other kids
that I showed with! I had to work very hard to catch up!! I was fortunate enough to get my own pony - a large Connemara gelding who was a cutie but a rogue! - only 8 months after I started riding. He taught me how to stay on, as he tried every trick in the book with me and then some!! Bucking, rearing, bolting, stopping, you name it! LOL We did small shows and 4-H for a couple of years and had a lot of fun.

After that, I wanted to do bigger shows (I have a very competitive drive! In fact, my pony once dumped me on a picket fence in a class, and even though I was bleeding and needed 10 stitches, I determinedly rode, bleeding and all, in the rest of my classes in my division! LOL) My mom supported me wholeheartedly (she's the best!) and drove me back and forth an hour each way so that I could pursue my goals. When it was determined that I needed a horse, we sold my pony to a little girl and got a beautiful 8 year old, 15.3 bay TB mare who has been my best friend for nearly 15 years! (She's now 22 :-) ) She was always a very tough ride (very sensitive and "hot") but a wonderful mover and jumper. Boy, has she taught me to ride! We did "A" and "A2" shows off and on for years and rode with a couple of excellent but BRUTAL trainers. LOL My mare developed allergies a few years ago, so we took a break from the show world. I tried to breed her, but she was unable to carry to full-term.

We now have switched to dressage, which I hated at first (my position had to be totally reworked from hunters/eq!). I also recently purchased a second horse, a 4 year old TB filly that I rescued off the track (she was headed for slaughter). She is going to be an absolute star. I love both of my "girls" and, even though I work 3 jobs, I spend 99% of my free time at the barn - riding, grooming, mucking stalls, feeding, etc.

Anyway, enough of my rambling!

Kim
Kimber8768@aol.com

lex_hj
Jan. 16, 2000, 12:03 PM
Hi! My name is Ann. I live in Lexington, KY. (I am originally from Ohio.) I am attending the University of Kentucky. I'm majoring in Animal Science. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now, but this is the first time that I've posted. I just turned 28 in November and have been divorced for about two years. That's why I'm so "old" trying to finish school! I had to sell my AA jumper /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif due to the divorce and the fact that I wanted to finish my education. So, for the fist time in 19 years plan to start riding again as soon as I I don't have a horse to ride. However, I finish school.

I started out just riding for fun on borrowed ponies at age nine. Then I got my own horse (after my parents realized this wasn't a passing fancy). I was involved in 4-H for nine years and also showed on the AHSA. I took lessons in Cleveland (Chagrin Falls) and Columbus. I've done both hunters and jumpers and love them both! I've also worked as a groom in Florida during HITS Ocala for a friend of mine.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts! To everyone that's showing this year, I wish you all the best of luck!

lex_hj
Jan. 16, 2000, 05:37 PM
Oops! Sorry guys, my message should read--for the first time in 19 years I don't have a horse to ride. However, I plan to start riding again after I'm finished with school.
My typing isn't the greatest.

BigEqRls
Jan. 16, 2000, 06:42 PM

AKDragooPhoto
Jan. 16, 2000, 07:25 PM
What a geat idea. I know two people on this list, and J. Turner {my roommate when she worked for Practicle} Congats.

As for me... My name is Amy and for the next two weeks I'll be 28. I have ridden since first grade. Once a week I packed off to the DC suburbs to ride with the wife of one of my father's coworkers. {I wanted to go back another day for pony club but once a week was enough of a bargining chip to keep me quiet.}

When she stopped teaching I was in fifth grade which put a stop to my riding until eighth, when my astute parents realized what depressed and socially outcast child I was and decided to spend my college money on private school. {One of the} Best decisions they ever made, as I got to ride again {on campus} and turned my teenage angst around {I graduated valedictorian}.

All my free time during those high school years were dedicated to a 14.2 Arab/Welsh cross who is to this day worth his weight in gold. I showed him occasionally, as a pony hunter and in equitation. The few ribbons we won were hard earned, and if he taught me anything it was to do this for fun not for prizes.

Rode Intercollegiate through college, took a couple years off and now have started riding again. The best thing to come out of my last relationship was being introduced to his mother's tennis partner who was looking for barn help. That has progressed to being "given" a very green 5-year-old Trakehner mare to train.

As for career, I am currently one of three staff photographers at a 35,000 circulation paper in suburabn Philadelphia and support my equine habit by freelancing {www.equisearch.com/photographers/dragoo.html}. I am single, have springer spaniel {Thorn} who J. Turner found for me and not enough hours in the day for all that I want to do.

middkid
Jan. 16, 2000, 07:35 PM
Wow Ponykid we are a lot alike. I'm from Florida, just turned 15, I have a junior/children's horse(depends on how my eye is faring) and a large green pony. what state are you

Kate
Jan. 16, 2000, 08:56 PM
Hey Pat ... I always wondered about the Chelse Equestrian Center... so what was the lowdown on it? I was always so concerned with the horses being holed up in NYC and all...

HunterH
Jan. 16, 2000, 11:59 PM
Hi, I haven't posted much but here goes,
I am 15 and live in NY state.

Horse-Very tall black TB gelding, 4yrs old, extreemly talented, I LOVE HIM!

Cats-3, 2blacks, 1grey tiger
I started riding when i was 6, and have just bought a horse. It just goes to show you that hard work and dedication really does pay off. now i have the horse of my dreams, and i couldn't be happier!

Pat
Jan. 17, 2000, 12:03 AM
It is very hard to keep horses healthy and happy in NYC. The Chelsea horses get more turn out than the Claremont ones I suspect. Atleast Chelsea has an outdoor that can double as turnout during the slow part of the day. The major mistake made at CEC waaaay back in the begginning was that they bought an awful lot of inappropriate horses. Many care in with serious soundness issues, not just little things. Then later down the road when anyone else would have cut those horses loose, they still had them. The owner, CEO or whatever, had it in his head that he could get what the horse could make in a month if he sold it. So he hung $5000 price tags on horses that were worth maybe $800 to $1200. Some even less, like we'd be lucky to find a free home. So, instead of going on to retirement or another loving home (with turnout) they stand in 8x10 stalls. Nice, huh? With 46 horses and only one turnout, how do you balance the needs of the ones in work with the ones out of work. The whole mess was quite depressing at times.

In general,it's a pretty crummy place to work. Tons of weird interpersonal crap going on all the time. People quit and get fired all the time, and then get hired back only to be gone again. I honestly believe that the phones and possibly the office I shared with Lee are tapped. I think there are only 3 or 4 people who have been there since the beginning left. They only stay for the money, and honestly, none of them are good horse people.

As a matter of fact, I was hesitant to work for Montclair because one of the owners of CEC also owns MRA. He is NOT my favorite person in the world. Beggars can't be choosy, so I take the work where I find it.

ponykid
Jan. 17, 2000, 01:03 AM
Wow guys, this is great! I never imagined such a huge response and it has been so much fun to read about everyone's backgrounds and their current horses or ponies. So many of you older ones out there (and no, you are not elderly and have no reason to be bashful) have so much experience and wealth of knowledge it is amazing. You are like the old schoolmaster horses that pack their rides around- you know everything! I love reading all of this. To HorseLuv- my mom (who posts on the board sometimes but I wont tell her sn!) wont let me tell you what state I am from (over protective, huh?) but I can say I am from the South! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Gry2Yng
Jan. 17, 2000, 10:22 AM
Ponykid,
Every one of your posts is so impressive. Good for you mom (about the state you live in) and good for you for respecting her.
Gry

Portia
Jan. 17, 2000, 10:39 AM
Great idea, Pony Kid. Your question has not only gotten the folks who've been around awhile to tell more about themselves, but has even gotten lots of lurkers to show themselves and become part of the group! Yeah for you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GirlLikeThat
Jan. 17, 2000, 12:10 PM
Hey Guys /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Im Erin Githens, Im 15 and live in Glen Ridge, NJ. I have two horses, Coco Dancer "Coco" who I show in CHildrens Hunters, M&S, NAL, and SLT. And Breathtaking "Bella" who I show in 3ft jumpers. I ride at Sterling Meadow Farm in Bedminster NJ. I also have two cats Marble and Puzzle. Well thats just about it for me! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif Byebye!

[This message has been edited by ErinElliston (edited 01-17-2000).]

Hop4it
Jan. 17, 2000, 12:16 PM
This was a neat idea! I am 25 and live in Alabama. Can't figure out what I really want to do! I have been teaching lessons lately. Have 1 one horse named Noble (Over Exposed) a 10 year old tb who at the moment is at Auburn. She had surgury Saturday morning. But she is doing better they say! I am married to a great guy who doesn't think to much of horses but after this weekend has become attached to her! We were gonna have her for sale but he really likes her now /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif! We have 3 dogs a yellow lab Duke, a jack russell (gotta have a least 1) Tucker, and a fox hound named Kirra. We live 2 blocks from the beach so we are always there.

I have been riding since I was 13 so it is in blood forever. Started in short stirrup then childrens and jrs then tried jumpers. So that is about all! Again great idea /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anne
Jan. 17, 2000, 12:42 PM
I've left this a bit late, but here goes! I started riding when I was 6, but I've never had a horse of my own. I'm in college at one of the very "equine" schools in the Southeast, and plan to go to veterinary school. (I can't decide if I want to do small animals or horses, though, or maybe both!) http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

My eventual goal is to have a practice of my own, and also to rehab TBs from the track for useful lives in the hunters and jumpers. (Mostly I want to find a nice hunter for myself!)

I have a lovely Brittany dog but I don't see her as much as I'd like. The barn dogs at school kinda take her place, but it's not the same! I also have a "thing" for black labbies and plan to get a puppy as soon as I have the right environment for one.

Oh, my other major interest is the Thoroughbred lines that produce hunters and sporthorses of note. As you can imagine, I am a great fan of Dr. Birdsall's Chronicle Commentaries! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited 01-17-2000).]

Philly
Jan. 17, 2000, 01:55 PM
Hi, been away from my computer and I come back to find all this plus little faces and folders on fire!
My name is Melissa, I'm 24 years old and live in Waterford, NJ. I'm a Editor/Analyst for a biological abstracting company in Philadelphia. I started riding when I was 9, and did the whole junior thing. Pony hunter, Junior hunter, Eq., Junior Jumper. I went to Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA. I rode on the equestrian team my first year, went to Nationals, and then got more into the "college life"!! My husband is a pro. and runs our farm. I'm hoping to be doing the A/O's jumpers soon, but my prospect is only 3 so I have a few years to go! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I forgot to add we have two rottweilers, Axl and Kaya, two guinea hens, and fish. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Philly (edited 01-17-2000).]

OlmosHeaven
Jan. 17, 2000, 05:26 PM
OK--here goes.
I'm 48 (aarrgh), was a horse-crazy kid who never had much opportunity to do anything about it. Out of college a year, working nights for a newspaper, I found myself crying in front of a soap opera. It was before the expression "get a life" came in vogue, but that's what I decided to do. Had always wanted to take formal riding lessons and called to a local hunter-jumper stable (not that I knew what that was at the time) and started taking lessons. Bought my first horse a year later.
By the time I got married 10 years ago, I owned two horses. By the time my husband and I moved out to the country 6 years ago, we had three. Now we have 5 (including two daughters and a granddaughter -- born last Memorial Day -- of a mare that I bought 18 years ago).
My husband has started riding -- we bought him a horse not long after moving to the country. And after I twisted his arm to get him in the competition field, he decided he likes it so much that he'll leave me behind to go to a show if I'm not ready. (Of course, I'll do the same to him, although we enjoy going together.)
Although I still keep a toe in the hunter world, we both do combined training.
We also have two dogs -- a toy poodle who is our child, and a labrador, who's very much a dog -- and (at the moment) six cats -- three house cats, one occasional house cat and two barn cats. Plus nine (also at the moment) head of black angus cattle, three guinea fowl, and some goldfish and catfish.
We are both in the newspaper business -- he a reporter; me an editor. And we never have enough time at home. And, no, just because your horses are at home doesn't mean you always have time to ride them. But we love looking out the window at our horses.
It's nice to meet all of you. And, ponykid, I've been very impressed with your comments. As I said before -- good spelling. Also, good grammar.

Louise
Jan. 17, 2000, 06:07 PM
Hey HunterH, I live in Webster too, even if my profile says Rochester. I figured no one would have the slightest idea where Webster was. I was going to send you an e-mail, but I see you don't have one posted, probably a good idea! If you want, send me one. I'm betting that you ride at either Huntington or Patterson's, am I right?

[This message has been edited by LOUISE (edited 01-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by LOUISE (edited 01-17-2000).]

ponykid
Jan. 17, 2000, 06:36 PM
Thank you Olmos! I am flattered.

Jenn
Jan. 17, 2000, 06:40 PM
Hi! I'm new too! Some of you might know me from the EquiSearch boards. My name is Jenn, I'm 14 (but I will be 15 in about two weeks), and I live in Pennsylvania. I don't have a horse, but I take lessons twice a week, and in the summer I will be leasing a horse. I will lease and show either the large pony I am riding in lessons now, or one of my trainer's horses. I have been riding for 3 1/2 years, and I ride hunter/jumpers.
Jenn

TBLover
Jan. 17, 2000, 10:17 PM
Hi. I have been reading this board for several months now and love it. Figured it was time to stop lurking and this is the perfect opportunity. My name is Carol, and I recently celebrated my 39th birthday for the second time. Currently have two horses, both TBs, one retired. Married, with a basically tolerant husband (who I met during the only non-horse period in my life, thus leaving me open to the claim that I married him under false pretenses) and one sweet almost 5 year-old boy. Past History: Have been totally in love with horses, and especially TBs probably since birth although coming from a totally non-horsey family. Grew up in suburbia (south shore of Long Island)but found some horses not too far away at a "hack" stable in Babylon, NY. Rode once or twice a week (all I could afford) from age 7 to about 14 on anything that had four legs. Today I still struggle with the "bad" habits I picked up during that time, although I learned alot about staying on horses that didn't particularly want to be ridden. Didn't know anything about the hunter/jumper world except for the National Horse Show, which I went to every year, hoping against hope to win that Courvoisier Arabian they gave away (Does anybody else remember that?). At 14, moved on to a nice barn, the Thomas School of Horsemanship, and actually learned how to ride a little. At 16, ran off the race track and got a job walking hots. Almost didn't go to college, since I wanted to ride race horses, but my parents said they'd kill me. Stopped riding pretty much altogether when I went to college and then law school. Got a job after law school at a big Manhattan law firm, and now had the money, but not the time for horses. Then I found a barn going up not too far from where I lived with an indoor ring, and could no longer resist. Took lessons once or twice a week for a year, then share-boarded a horse for a year, and then finally got my own -- a slightly crazy, basically crippled three year old TB (of course) just off the race track. Had him for several years, and loved him to death, but never could keep him sound for more than a month at a time or so. Finally, after much angst, gave him away. In the meantime, quit the law firm job and went to work in-house for a large NY TB breeding farm as general counsel (this was late eighties -- the farm raised most of its money thru tax shelter syndications). Looked like a dream job in many ways and it was for awhile (we went fox hunting on Wednesdays and Saturdays, they had a Lear jet that we flew to KY in for the yearling sales) until they basically went belly-up, so it was back to NYC law firm life again for awhile, until I finally bailed out for a more sane (but unfortunately much less lucrative) lifestyle. On the horse front, I shareboarded and/or leased for several more years, and then finally found the horse of my dreams -- the most wonderful little TB mare with a heart ten times larger than her body. We did the A/A jumpers for several years and she always took care of me. I retired her this year and although its financially extremely difficult for me (where I live, there are no inexpensive options for keeping horses), I am committed to taking care of her. I owe her that much. In the meantime, I am leasing (and hopefully buying at some point in the not too distant future)another wonderful TB mare. We also show in the A/A jumpers and had a great summer this year showing in the NY, VT, CT, NJ area. Looking forward to participating on this board.

Smiles
Jan. 17, 2000, 11:46 PM
Hi all. I have four horses. I have showen in juniors, childrens, eq, medal, and jumpers. This is my first year as an Adult rider. It's different. I had a pony. I never really got to do the pony thing though. I think this thread was a good Idea. Now I know a little bit more about people that I've been talking to. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

3DogNight
Jan. 18, 2000, 12:48 PM
I'm 33, married and live in Michigan. I currently have a 8 yr. old OTT TB mare who I show on the H/J circuit (she did exceptionally well this past year - 7 Champion/Reserve Champion year end awards /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

We also have two labrador puppies (Tyler & Ivy) and a VERY large cat (18+ lbs).

I work part-time as a Marketing/Admin Manager so that I can be home from the barn when my husband gets home from work. It works well and he's 110% supportive of my riding, but lately he's been hinting at the idea of starting a family. Yikes!! Maybe after this show season . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KC
Jan. 18, 2000, 01:32 PM
Hello to all! I've been lurking here for many months but will throw off my cloak and say, "howdy!"

I'm Kristin; I'm 30 years old and live in Virginia between the fabled Hunt Country and Washington, D.C. Since birth I've been horse-obsessed and have a fine collection of Breyer models to prove it!

I rode whenever I could beg, borrow or steal the opportunity. About 5 years ago I decided to "try" riding lessons and my obsession was instantly renewed.

Now I lease a horse and hope to purchase one next year (cross your fingers!) I ride in Adult Amateurs at local shows and hope to try a "bigger" show within the next year.

This fall my non-horsey fiance and I will be married at the stables. I'm still tossing around the idea of riding into the event. . . If anyone has attempted such madness I'd love to hear your advice!

It's been nice to learn more about the people here. I've learned a lot from lurking and listening.

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 01-18-2000).]

SoEasy
Jan. 18, 2000, 01:47 PM
Read this! http://www.chronofhorse.com/features/99/huntroster/cooky.html
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OlmosHeaven
Jan. 18, 2000, 02:32 PM
KC -- Friends of ours married on horseback a few years ago. The JP sat in a horse-drawn carriage. Most of the guests were on horseback. This was a 4th wedding for her; 2nd for him. So casual was the key word here.
I say go for it. I had my wedding photo taken with my mare (now deceased, but I have two daughters and a granddaughter). And my husband and I left our wedding reception in a horse-drawn carriage.

Banks
Jan. 18, 2000, 05:37 PM
Hey,
My name is alex. I JUST turned 15(yeay permit!! ;-) watch the roads heehee! I live in northern VA. I have a 3 yr ( gonna be a junior horse) Wallstreet Kid mare named Banks hence my screenname. I am looking for an Aussi pup( so if anyone knows a breeder!!!) i have two shiz-tzus Simba and Frecks, I just sold my pony hunter, thinking of being a Lawyer and thats it!!
I think this topic was a GREAT idea

jch
Jan. 18, 2000, 08:00 PM
I am also new to the whole world of bulletin boards. I found this while reading a Chronicle article and think this is a wonderful way to exchange information. Unlike all of you, I am a stroll around the ring on a baby sitter rider - even though I will be 45 this year! I am extrememly lucky because although I grew up outside of New York City and my husband grew up outside of Detroit, we now live on a small farm in Texas. My unbelievably patient husband has grown a beautiful field of Coastal Bermuda hay to help feed the horses. We even sell some! I have two fabulous children, one is a swimmer and the other is the rider. If anyone had told me twenty years ago that this would be my life, I would never have believed them - it's amazing!

redhorse05
Jan. 18, 2000, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone!
Great thread!! I'm probably one of the few to admit to being a dressage type on this board ( NOT a DQ though). I'm new to this board since the demise of the old USDF board to a y2k bug. I find this board to be as interesing and relevant to my life as the other one anyway.
I run a 40 horse lesson barn. I acutally teach mostly western beginners and novice english kids. But rode hunters myself as a kid. I always had a love for dressage, and when I stopped bouncing so well gave up jumping for it.
I never did decide what to do with myself when I grew up and now get paid for playing with horses all day. Like any job,it does have its moments but on the whole I really enjoy what I do.
My facility is unique in that it's owned by a Park District in Illinois. We do lessons and some trails. But ours aren't typical trail hacks, they are very well cared for and only work as long as they enjoy their jobs. A large part of what I do is buying, selling and finding adoptive homes for our horses.
I teach most of the lessons, english and western. Most of our students are relatively new to riding, so when I can get beyond 'up-down-up-down' it is a real treat!!!
I have a wonderful OTTb who is 11. We do first level dressage and trail ride a lot. I also just bought a 3 year old quarter horse to start this year. He will be a wonderful project.
Unfortunately both are having a vacation this winter because I can't afford to board the two of them at an indoor. The TB is for sale but I found my new partner before I got him sold.
I also have two bog dogs that go to work with me every day. Winston is a 7 year old Flatcoat Retriever and Dalton is a wild year old chocolate lab. I also teach an agility dog class at a local kennel.
That's about it for my little family. In my spare time, when I get any, I also do a lot of photography. I also spend a lot time addicted to these BB's!!! I really enjoy reading about everyone's ideas.

aspy25
Jan. 19, 2000, 01:13 AM
This is a great idea!! I have been browsing for a while, and decided to join your ranks, if it is OK with you guys. I'm 40, (physically, mentally I'm 16, and still horse crazy!!), and a photographer at a 50,000 circ. daily paper in ILL. Started riding hunters at age 12 in the 'burbs of Chicago. Showed "B" circuit and instate "A". Showed with and knew some of the horse people that have been in the news lately.( It took a while, but they got what they deserved!!) Had a pretty neat grey TB gelding, "Ask Me Nicely","Aspy" for short, for 21 years. Had to put him down 5 years ago, but he is buried at a friend's farm nearby. She honored Aspy by naming her newborn filly after him!! Since then I have been raising 2 daughters, 12 and 5, which put owning another horse on hold monyewise(hopefully it is only temporary!) but have been reading the HJ boards with interest. I don't know a lot of the people you talk about, but the issues remain pretty much the same as twenty(gulp) years ago! Thanks again, this is fun!!

Ben and Me
Jan. 19, 2000, 12:36 PM
Odin11-

Louise is another dressage person, thought you might want to know.

juniorrider33
Jan. 19, 2000, 06:52 PM
Hey guys whats up? This was a great idea!
I have had so much fun hearing everyones stories and backgrounds.
k, I am 15 I have one children's jumper and one baby green hunter. I have been riding since the age of three. As for my future, when I get out high school I hope to go to college with a riding program and hopefully work with horses for the rest of my life.
Nice gettin' to now you guys, see ya around! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif

redhorse05
Jan. 19, 2000, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Ben & me!
I love to read about horsey people, no matter what discipline they ride. And I do love to jump too, just don't tel! BUT it's nice to know there are other 'closet' dressage types here too!
Any other non-DQ's here?

Louise
Jan. 20, 2000, 06:39 AM
Hi odin11, as Ben & Me says, I'm definately a dressagy type, also definately non-DQ too! Though I don't jump, I love to watch and will admit to a secret desire to try it sometime. Maybe my next horse! I think you'll like it here, nice people and real ideas!

stephanie
Jan. 20, 2000, 10:53 AM
lucien--if you email me privately i'd be happy to talk to you about my trainer and barn. (steph-a@mindspring.com). I may be being paranoid, but I don't feel comfortable posting my trainer's name on a public forum without talking to her about it first (and she's out of town). I only have good things to say about her, but seems like a privacy issue (I am an ex-lawyer turned web site producer, so I am unusually sensitive to issues like this...)

ps sorry it took so long to respond. i've been swamped at work and haven't checked the boards for days....

Hattie
Jan. 20, 2000, 02:03 PM
I've also been lurking for months and really enjoy this board. It's so nice that others feel the same way that I do about so many issues. I feel that I know PORTIA, JANE, SNOWBIRD, JUMPHIGH, and many others from reading their posts. I'm 42, own my own engineering consulting firm (to pay my horse bills and also I don't have to offer any excuses to leave for horse shows). I have a coming 5 yr old Selle Francias mare, a "professional" TB broodmare, and a 20 year old retiree. I'm also married to an understanding husband that doesn't get upset that the barn is cleaner than the house, that he eats after the horses, and doesn't notice when I wash my saddle pads with his underwear!!! My nine year old son doesn't ride but he does help around the barn. And of course I have 2 corgis and 1 Jack Russell. AND I am an ex AHSA steward and the stories I have.........

Dolce Vita
Jan. 23, 2000, 06:58 PM
Ok, I'll do this even though this is kinda an old thread!

My name is Chelsea and I'm 13 years old. I just got my pony Kudos almost 3 months ago! I've been riding for 6 years and I live in Virginia. Banks sent me the link here /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks Alex /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Um, what else... I live in Virginia and I just started to show. I'm showing in Pony Pleasure and Madien!

Regalmeans
Jan. 23, 2000, 07:13 PM
Hey all! I just joined and thought I'd say hello.

my Real name is Sarah and I'm 16. I've ridden forever but only seriously for about 2 years now. I own a thoroughbred named OF REGAL MEANS who I show in 2'6 hunters. We're from NJ...southern NJ..anyone else here from that area?

Courtney
Jan. 24, 2000, 05:39 AM
TO: Va

I read your post and noticed that you live in Charlottesville. I work at UVa as well and thought it would be fun to exchange e-mails. I ride hunters and own my own farm "over the mountain". E-mail me if you like!

Courtney
Jan. 24, 2000, 05:45 AM
I may as well jump in. I'm Courtney and I live in Waynesboro, Va. I work out of Charlottesville. I have a small farm and own 2 horses. One gelding that I show in hunter shows and one 2 year old unbroken filly. I'm planning on showing her on the line this year so wish us luck! I'm married and 29 years old. We have no children just animals. 2 dogs, 5 cats and the two horses. I love to meet fellow horse people from my area so if you live close by, feel free to e-mail me!

Trixie
Jan. 24, 2000, 06:27 PM
Hey
I'm Sarah, I'm 15 and from right outside Washington DC. I started riding at 8, always a pony rider - I rode around at local and "A" shows on anything I could (which were often some VERY nice ponies) until two summers ago when I scraped up enough to lease a large green pony mare from Woodhall Stables in VA, Always The Fashion aka "Sassy."
I've been riding and showing Sassy at local and "A" shows ever since.

Starz
Feb. 12, 2000, 06:55 PM
Hey everyone!
Well Im new to this board... My name is Danielle. Im 14 and Im from Ohio ~ I ride hunter jumpers. Im startin the Small Juniors this year with my new horse. Her name is Simplicity (Gloria), shes awesome ~ we just got her from France. Well last year I did the Medium Ponys on my old pony Giorgio (Georgie) and the childrens jumpers on my old jumper Turnabout (Maggie). We sold Georgie right before Indoors and we retired Maggie. Umm... My first show this year (Hopefully) besides a few barn shows first will be the two weeks of the Spring Atlantas. Hehe i cant wait!!!
I have two sisters, they both ride too ~ they ride ponies. My littlest sister has the small pony Beanie Baby and my other sister has the large pony Minuet. We also own a small pony that is being leased out named Cummerbund.
Well if anyone wants to chat email me at SiMpLiCiTy1123@aol.com or Bubblebabe115@aol.com
BYE!

Coreene
Feb. 12, 2000, 09:09 PM
What a great idea!

I will only confess to 35, but am really 38, and working in advertising for a business newspaper, which I love.

Started doing the hunter thing when I was about 8 and lessoned with Bob McDonald when he was still in Southern California at the old Hillsview Saddle Club. Did a double BA in Journalism and Georgraphy at Cal State Long Beach, did some adult classes while in college and then took about seven years off from riding.

Now have a fat, spoiled Hannoverian who is having a real hissy fit about going back into training, and I am still left a-twitter every time I get back in the saddle after a stupid riding accident sans helmet (see the Vanity Thy Name Is Accident post or whatever that thread is called). But the horse and I are madly in love, which is good because I dumped the recurring boyfriend again because he was jealous of the horse.

We are thinking of adding to our family in September by adopting a Premarin foal. If anyone has adopted one, or knows someone who has, please let me know at coreene@yahoo.com.

Just My Style
Feb. 13, 2000, 09:14 AM
Since this post re-surfaced lately I thought that I would finally lose my anonymity...

I am 27, riding hunter/ jumpers since I was 6, very happily married, currently live in Tampa, 4+ months pregnant. I learned how to ride in NJ, moved several times as kid (various midwestern states), finished my junior years in NJ. Got my first job out of college with Practical Horseman, met my husband and he convinced me to relocate to the south. It's ok, but I am really a Northern girl at heart. I currently have a jumper "Cashmere" that is regretfully for sale due to the baby on the way. I have my retired Junior Hunter (22 years old) who is now a #1 trail horse. 2 dogs (A Jack Russell and a Scottie), 2 cats and a Guinea Pig.

wadino
Feb. 13, 2000, 09:25 AM
Hey Everyone. I only post alittle here and there. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I am 12 (13 on March 20th). I have only been riding for 3 years. I ride with Betsy Morret at Hollyhurst Farm in Pennsylvania. I ride my trainer's pony, Rags To Riches aka Rags, in lessons and I'm going to lease/show him soon. I love attending shows that my barn go to and I have alrady went to 3 with them and might be going to one today! Oh by the way, my name is Ryan.

HuntJumpSC
Feb. 13, 2000, 10:04 AM
OK, guys! Guess it's my turn now!

My name is Suz & I live in coastal SC. I'm 26 years old & have been riding since I was 5. Got my first pony when I was 7 & still have her. Her name is Miz Scarlett (how delightfully Southern!) & she is 36 yrs old now. She still does 3 lessons a week with my students & a few shows a year. I run a small hunter barn called Upper Mill, located on my family's 1828 plantation. I train, show, give lessons, & also put on a few shows at the barn each year. I currently have 11 horses in the barn, 7 are boarders, 4 are mine. I have a 5th, she is leased out to a hunter barn near Camden. My favorite horse (besides Miz Scarlett) is Raleigh~ he's a 16.3 Appendix QH, 5 yr old, solid blood bay. We're working on getting over our fear of ground poles right now & making pretty good progess! I hope to be able to show him in some Pre-Green stuff by this summer. He's a fabulous mover & has a great attitude, he's just a bit of a chicken! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I also have 5 cats: "Ho", "Dot", "Fro", "Peeps" & "Hillary". Also one Jack Russell "terror" named Tyler. Hmmm, let's see, other stuff about me: I was a rider & performer for Dixie Stampede Dinner Attraction from '93-'99. It's a pretty fun place to work, hey, you get to wear lots of costumes & makeup, ride lots of horses & get paid for it! Can't beat that! But, you can only do that for so long before the old body says, "Enough!" Sooooo, I "retired" from showbizness, & went to flight school. I now have my private pilot license & am working on my instrument rating. I plan to eventually get my ATP & fly commercially, but first I have to build my hours, which means I'll have to instruct. I'm fixing to get back into "showbizness", the Vice President of the flight school wants me to be in a commercial for the school! I'm very excited about it! Other hobbies include: pigging out on SUSHI!, deer hunting (hey, it's a Southern thing! lol), & playing on this goshdarned computer! I have a wonderful boyfriend, who is 6 years my junior (hey, get 'em young & train em RIGHT!) He's very supportive of my horses & my flying and treats me like a princess! Here's the kicker~ I originally met him back in '97 when one of my students was dating him & she brought him out to the barn. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif We "remet" last March & have been together since! Anyways, enough of my ramblings. Now you know who I am! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif SUZ

Smiles
Feb. 13, 2000, 10:11 AM
FairView Farm your stallion looks cool from the pic. May I ask what does he show in?

Melissa
Feb. 13, 2000, 12:42 PM
Hey everyone!Well, my name is Melissa and I live in Jax. FL. I show the A circuit hunters with my Children's Hunter "I Love the Game." Umm, I have 2 golden~retrievers, soon a jack russel! uhh....Im going to show in WEF,Feb.22-March 6th and and then Tampa the end of March. If any of you are going to be there email me!! well, umm, nothing else really to say http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif , LoL, Email me!

Mac
Feb. 13, 2000, 02:26 PM
Well this is a good chance to introduce myself since I have been hanging around here for about a week now!

My name is Claire and I am 22 years old. I have been riding since I was small but not
seriously until about 6 years ago when we moved here from England. I worked as a groom and have ridden cross country,dressage and hunters and jumpers. I have owned my own horse for just over 3 years now, he is a 15.1hh 9yr old, bay TB gelding called Boston Mac and I trained him myself - my greatest accomplishment so far! He is a very smart horse which means there is never a dull moment. At our debut show we only entered three classes so as not to overwhelm him and we got two thirds and a first! What makes life even more interesting is that 2 years ago I had a bad accident while riding a friends horse and I broke my back. My legs are paralyzed and I am in a wheelchair but I
still want horses to be my life. I take care of my horse and I have been riding him and
figuring out how to do things in a different way. Jumping is out for now so I am leaning
more towards dressage and hope that I will be showing again by the end of the year.

I also have two very fat cats and some fish /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TequilaSun
Feb. 13, 2000, 04:31 PM
Hi, my name is Meg

Personal life: I'm 15 years old, I go to an all girls school in Toronto, I'm in grade 11, I'm fast-tracking through school b/c I hate it and I want to ride. My goals are to compete at the NAYRC and represent Canada at the Olympics. I plan on going to Wilfrid Laurier University and becoming a Sports Psychologist, and owning a Pinto Sporthorse breeding operation on the side.

Horse Life: I own a 4 year old pinto/selle francais gelding named Tequila Sunrise. Eventually he will be one of those virtually unbeatable pushbuttons who are very expensive (yes, my goal is for him to put me through University <G> ). He is a 10+ mover and a 10+ jumper. Very scopey, could do jumpers, but I'm going to keep him as a hunter for a number of years. Tequila's really calm and quiet (usually) which makes him really a great match for me, b/c he is the first green horse that I've ever owned.

There's me!! PonyKid, this was a great idea!

HuntJumpSC
Feb. 13, 2000, 07:22 PM
To MAC:

I just had to say "Wow!" http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif I really admire someone that has the determination that you do to continue to ride & enjoy horses after such a terrible accident! I wish you the best of luck in your riding! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif SUZ

Chentilly Express
Feb. 13, 2000, 08:14 PM
Hi and welcome to the board. I'm 14 yrs old (just turned!) and live in Minnesnota! (unfortunetly!) I have 2 wonderful ponies both large.. One is a light bay 4 socks and a star on her pretty little head. She's a welsh swedish warmblood cross (kinda crazy hu?)she's 8 years old and I love her to death. The other one is a dapple grey sooo pretty.. and pure welch.19 years old..A little trooper is what he is. Now that I jsut recently purchased my baby my two little sisters have started to show both of themt I just recently in September bought my baby boy Mickie,,, I love him to death. He's my first "greenie" only 4 yrs old he's bay and has one long blaze! A challenge to ride but very fun....Once again welcome to the board!!!!

[This message has been edited by Chentilly Express (edited 02-13-2000).]

salsalito
Feb. 13, 2000, 08:43 PM
WOW! This is great! I am such a people person and nosy too!

I am 16 years old, and have been riding for 3 1/2 years now. I have a 7 yr. chestnut Hann/TB mare, named Salsa. I have owned her for a year. I am aiming for anything Hunter with her! I don't care as long as we have fun and she is not pushed too hard, she is my giant pet after all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I am a junior at a private school (ugh!) in North Carolina. I am planning on going to college somewhere around this area and doing a double major in Psychology and Equine Studies! Maybe going to Vet school later!
http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
Thats about it for now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Black Market Radio
Feb. 13, 2000, 10:22 PM
Ok, I guess I can let on about myself too... I am 22 years old, single by choice (Well, sick of psychos anyway!) and live in California, close to SF. I have a 9 year old TB mare, 15'3hh, but she looks and moves like a WB. I am currently looking at stallions to breed to, even though I won't have the money to do it for about a year! Anyway, I go to Santa Cruz, Ca at least once a month because I LOVE the beach, and in fact one of the stallions I am looking at is down there! Anyway, after a stint in the Marine Corps (hence the name devildog) I went to work at a H/J barn which I can't stand those people anymore, but anyway, I now have a job as a real estate appraiser, and I love it! Unfortunatly I totally killed my knee yesterday, re-injuring an old military problem. I will probably never be able to run again and will be on joint supplements for the rest of my life as I have VERY little cartiledge between my kneecap and the other bones and a "popping" tendon in the back of my knee, which sucks horribly as I was planning on getting a BS in Anthropology and going back in the Corps as an officer! So now I guess I will put my whole entire energy into my horse goals!

[This message has been edited by devildog20 (edited 02-14-2000).]

Zonie
Feb. 14, 2000, 11:00 AM
What a wonderfully diverse group we've become! I love reading your insights and opinions, even (especially) the ones that challenge my own.

I'm Julie, 30 years old, and live in Tempe, Arizona (Hi Erin!). I work at Arizona State University and am also a doctoral student here (what was I thinking?). I've ridden and shown hunters/jumpers/eq since the age of nine, mostly in the West. I narrowly avoided a career in the western saddle -- Thank goodness for my mother (a non-horsey, but practical person) who pointed out that, at nine, I'd never be able to lift that western saddle.

My current "horse connection" is as a part-time therapeutic riding instructor. I love it! I do miss showing and riding myself (ohhhh how I miss it...), but grad student salaries don't quite cover the expense. So, to compensate, I teach, coach at therapeutic riding shows with students, and live vicariously through all of you.

Think I'll leave it at that for now-- But I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person in Vegas at the World Cup!

JB
Feb. 14, 2000, 12:46 PM
I've only been on this board for a short while. My name's Jordana, 34, recently married. I've got a 16yo TB gelding I show hunters, and a coming 2yo Oldenburg gelding who will (hopefully) be my next hunter. I've also got 2 cats, a calico and a tortoise-shell, who will be 10 in April. Been riding all my life (well, 24 years of it, seems like all of it!) and got my first horse (the TB) 10 years ago.

Mac
Feb. 14, 2000, 01:06 PM
To HuntJumpSC,
Thanks! I guess I'm just stubbon, I can't give up on horses. After all if I had a car accident I would get in a car again otherwise I would be stuck home alone. I figure it works the same way with horses. I just love being around them and working with them so why make myself miserable by not doing what makes me happy! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you on the board, I'm sure we have a lot to learn from each other /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feb. 14, 2000, 01:19 PM
You may be getting more info than you wanted Ponykid, but here goes: I'm new to the board and to riding. I'm 40 and began riding about 6 months ago (this, mind you, is the best thing I've ever done).

I have been swimming competitively for 31 years and skiing (downhill) for 27 years and just needed to try something new. I have a long, long road ahead of me, but I already know I'll be riding till I drop. I'm currently leasing a 15 year old QH who is an absolute gem. He's teaching me a boatload and he's very tolerant of my beginner mistakes.

I'm an environmental attorney in Washington, D.C. After many years at the "mega-firms" I now work in-house for a former client and LOVE it! I now actually have time to do things like ride!

I'm married to a professional swimming coach and we spend alot of our free time sea-kayaking together. Last year we did the coast of Connecticut and Rhode Island. We hope to continue on up the New England coast this summer (I went to undergrad at UNH and I would love to make it up that far). In the near future, however, I'm off to an equestrian center in Northern Ireland for some intensive instruction and just plain fun. My husband thinks I'm nuts -I just got back from skiing in Montana with my mom. Well, I HAVE TO use that accumulated vacation time after all!

Instead of children, my husband and I have opted for 3 cats; Decaf is a 2yr old Ragdoll, Mariner is a 2yr old Maine Coon, and Rimsky is a 9 month old Siberian. All are precocious, affectionate fur balls.

Let's see, what else? I'm working on my MPA in nonprofit management, I love to cook, I love wine tasting and collecting, I love to read, and I'm a terrible gardener but I keep trying.

Guess thats plenty -- thanx for initiating the intros. Skiis

Just My Style
Feb. 14, 2000, 01:26 PM
To MAC:
I just wanted to say that I completely understand your rational for continuing to ride. One of my good friends has been paralyzed and in a wheel chair for several years due to a golf cart accident. She has 2 lovely Quarter Horses that she rides everyday. She rides Western Pleasure and trail rides. I can't even imagine her without her horses. She grooms them entirely by herself and her husband helps her tack up, mount and dismount. She is one of the best riders/ horsemen that I have met in a long time. You are not alone. Best of luck with your riding.

PepTalk
Feb. 14, 2000, 02:57 PM
Hey, what a great idea! Guess I'll throw my two cents in! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My name is Kelly and I have been riding since I was 11. I started out doing Saddle Seat Eq., when I was 11 after I begged my mom for lessons. I did that for three years on and off, about two lessons a month, usally on Saturday mornings. I rode a 15.2H chesnut half Arab, half Saddleberd gelding for my lessons all three years. I learned to walk, trot, canter, circles, etc., for the whole time but, it was a blast, so I didn't care that I wasn't jumping! Then I took a year and a half off for school and other things ( LONG STORY ) and didn't ride except for riding camp in the summer.( I couldn't stay COMPLETELY away from the horses no matter how hard I tried ) ! Then in the late fall of '97, I started asking my mom for lessons agian. She called around to the local barns and found me a barn that taught English riding. That's where I am right now. She found me my current trainer Kris, who is the GREATEST!She's the one that started me jumping and she is also the one that helped me start leasing one of the horse's that she is training! She was the one that supproted me last Thursday, when I jumped my FIRST EVER 2'9" JUMP! She had the confedince(sp?) in me to do it and I DID IT! Then she had the nerve to tell me that my horse is capable of jumping 4'3"! Thanks Kris, like I needed to hear that! My barn is going to move REALLY soon to a new place and I cann't wait! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Enough said! Thanks for reading!

Portia
Feb. 14, 2000, 03:05 PM
MAC -- I, too, have a friend who is in a wheelchair, as a result of a car accident. She loves her horses and can't imagine giving them up, rides western pleasure and trail rides all over -- along with her husband and her child, who she had a few years after the accident. She's also a very good lawyer. I admire her, and I admire you and the many others who face such difficulties and don't let it destroy their love of life. You just go right on enjoying your horses. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JrLeagueGoddess
Feb. 14, 2000, 05:25 PM
Ok I guess it is my turn...

I am 33 and live down here in Sunny Florida (ha! sunny, and cold!)

I have been riding since I was a kid...and love it, live for it...eat breath and sleep it!
I am married (for 4 years) to a great guy who I STILL adore...(more everyday!) We met and I married him 5 weeks later!

He plays Rugby..and has started riding...and recently bought me a new horse...I sold my last one expecting to start a family...however we found out that that would not be possible. So I got a Bigger baby...he is a Palmino QH who is just perfect for me...we searched for him for almost 2 years.
I also had a riding accident where I broke my back,and spent almost a year not walking. I do not have full use of my right leg...however...who cares...I am alive!
I believe that my love for horses really helped me through the hard times...and really gave me incentive to work harder.

Mac... you are awesome! And I would love to talk to you...email me. I am also in Florida.
You are an inspiration to all...just want to say good for you!

I also have 4 cats ( 2 tabbies 2 torties) and an Irish Setter who we rescued!
Thats all...Have a great day!

Joker
Feb. 14, 2000, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone - great idea! I just learned about this forum over Christmas also - and LOVE it!!! I am definitely addicted! My name is Nicole Piccone, I am 27 and have been riding since I was 8 - primarily dong the hunters. I show in the AA division - I LOVE horses and have started my own business with a friend - hoping it takes off!!! As of now - I work for a managed behavioral health company - BORING!!!! Horses are my life and passion!

Mac
Feb. 14, 2000, 05:59 PM
To Cashmere, Portia and JrLeagueGoddess,
I have heard of a few other poeple who are paralized and ride but I have not met anyone else yet. It is weird because every injury is different but I am lucky because I have really good balance. I am very grateful that I didn't break my neck, at least I can still do what I love. Someone was watching over me that day /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Also my horse was what pulled me through the whole thing. He was there for me and I had to get well for him. He didn't even care about the wheelchair, in fact we have an even stronger bond now than before!

Joker
Feb. 14, 2000, 06:02 PM
Duh - I forgot to tell you about my animals -
Joker (show name Sneak Preview) is my horse - a 10 year old TB gelding who I have had since he was 2! He is my baby! I also have a tabby cat named Sam. He is hysterical!

Glad to know a little bit about all of you!

relocatedTXjumpr
Feb. 14, 2000, 06:11 PM
okay, ive been around a few weeks but guess i never formally introduced myself, so... i am 20 years old, soon to be 21, and live just north of atlanta, ga. i moved here three years ago from austin, texas. i have been riding for almost 15 years, although the past few ive been kinda riding on and off trying to find a good barn. i attened virginia intermont college for a semester and decieded that school was not for me!! in texas i showed fequently, in the childrens jumpers, many medal classes and adult hunters. durring my junior years i showed mainly in the green hunters as i was training my horse "blame it on texas", or parker as he was known around the barn. we had several bad incidents with a trainer out there and he retired at the age of 8. i brought him out here and a few years ago donated him to a handicapped riding facilty down the road. i love horses, all kinds, i even used to barrel race when i was younger! i have a part black lab part german shepard dog named buddy, i think im turning into a redneck, lol. looking forward to making new friends. if anyone knows a good place to ride in this area, there is another thread around here somewhere about it and i could really use the help!!

Duffy
Feb. 14, 2000, 07:07 PM
Hi there. As you can see, I'm very new to this BB, (heck, I'm new to PC's, E-Mail, anything to do with this stuff)! I don't even know what the little mail icons mean on top of each posting. . .can someone help me out? I'm in my 40's, have two great kids, one wonderful lease horse, one hopefully great horse on trial, one pony, one ancient lab, one JR (less than year old), one older cat and one middle-aged cat. I show in the A/A's and Adult Equitation. I have been horse-crazy for as long as I can remember. I had a bad accident my freshman year of high school - large pony left out a stride/hit solid rail on real outside course and flipped over with my pelvis breaking his fall, after my helmeted head and collarbone broke my fall. My father was really hoping I would give it up, ha ha. My mother was very supportive. I was riding, sneaking on behind the barns, way before I was supposed to. I guess I'm kind of calamity - Off and on it seems as if I've been riding forever (since 5th grade-the old 1x/week riding school programs-begging my father for "another series of 8!!" every two months), but between various injuries and two pregnancies, nothing to ride sabaticals, etc. I guess it hasn't been that many decades. This is my first Valentine's Day without a human sweetheart since I can remember. . .Thank goodness for the horses . . .They were there when my father left, when my brother died, when my sister died, and most recently, when my husband left. Well, that was more than I had planned on sharing - and I'm sure more than ya'll wanted to read about - sorry. I suppose we're all here because of our love/addiction to the horses and thanks!

Ben and Me
Feb. 14, 2000, 09:13 PM
Duffy-

The first icon is to look at that member's profile (a little bit of information on each of us, you might want to put what you show in, if anything, stuff like that).

The second is if you want to edit the reply/topic that you have made.

The third clickable icon is for if you want to make a reply with a quote. I'm not exactly sure how to use that one b/c I never have!

Welcome!

paw
Feb. 14, 2000, 10:06 PM
I've been lurking here since the beginning of the year - guess it's about time I started to participate...

I'm Pat; I live in NH and ride with the same trainer (Joe Forest) as PonyFan and BigEqRider. I've got a 20(!) year old TB named Cairo ("It's Greek to Me") - we do the (very) low jumpers. I've also got a slightly bewildered but understanding husband and an old dog named Grendel.

I've been riding, off and on, since I was 9, but didn't get my Very Own Horse until I was 30 (several years, and horses, ago :-> ). My favorite book about riding is _still_ probably Jane Marshall Dillon's _School for Young Riders_ - I rode with one of Mrs. Dillon's "girls" when I was a child, and later got to ride at her Junior Equitation School (though alas, not while I was a junior). It was a fantastic foundation.

For a short time in the last '80s, I played "InGate Keeper" (that's the polite term) for the winter shows at The Barracks in Charlottesville, VA. I ran as tight a ring as possible - it's interesting how well folks will cooperate and be at the gate on time if they understand that it's the same rules for everyone. Of course, what's possible in a one-ring indoor winter show is *not* necessarily doable with more rings or outdoor venues, and there's always _someone_ who has to be difficult...

Enough about me. This is a great forum! Nice to meet all of you.

paw
Feb. 14, 2000, 10:26 PM
Playing catchup with the rest of the posts here...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TBLover:
At 14, moved on to a nice barn, the Thomas School of Horsemanship, and actually learned how to ride a little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh wow - The Thomas School! I rode there in, umm, 1975-6 or so (wow, do *I* feel old!). Those were great horses - Tokatam, a huge Percheron (I think) cross, Triscuit (who helped me do a perfect 1-and-a-half somersalt over her head one day), and the aptly named Vertigo...

Wow. Hadn't thought of that in ages. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by paw (edited 02-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by paw (edited 02-14-2000).]

PepTalk
Feb. 15, 2000, 10:42 AM
Hey, I guess I'll throw my two cents in! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifHi! My name is Kelly and I have been riding since I was 11 ( I am a late bloomer ). I started riding Saddle Seat Eq. and did that for three plus years on and off. Then I quit for a year and a half for personal reasons. I started back in the spring of '98 with my current trainer Kris, who is the GREATEST!She is the one that made me take a 2'9" jump last week without me knowing about it!I had only been jumping 2'6" prior to that. Then she had the nerve to tell me that my horse ( whom I also lease)can jump 4'3". Thanks Kris, like I needed to hear that! But, she's an EXCELLENT trainer and she is the one that is getting me ready for my VERY FIRST "A" show this coming summer. I cann't wait!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifOh, I compete in the Pre-Child/Adult Hunters (2'6") and the Mini-Medal( which is also 2'6")It's like a regular medal class but the jumps are only 2'6", so some of the kids who haven't showed at 2'6" before can get a feel for what a medal class is. My horse's name is PepTalk (duh) and he can jump! He's a 15.2H chestnut QH gelding that is about 10 yrs old.Also, I am a junior in high school and I am 17.Thanks for reading this!!! Happy Jumping!!!!!

Indy
Feb. 15, 2000, 10:55 AM
I suppose it's about time that I post to this thread. I've been lurking around this board since the beginning. I post occasionaly, but have more fun reading what everyone else has to say.

Anyway... I'm 19 and a college sophomore from Indiana. I don't have a horse of my own anymore, due to the whole school thing. I hope to get back into riding when I graduate, but that's still a while down the road.

I've been riding for 11 years, and have had three wonderful horses of my own in the past 6 years. My first boy was a bay QH, Sonney, who tought me how to show and how to take care of a horse. He's now one of the horses on the Purdue U Equestrian team. My second boy was a grey TB children's hunter, Merritt. He is now, as far as I know, living in South Carolina. My last boy was a large paint pony named Wink. I had him for over 3 years and took him from a greeny runaway to an awesome 2'6" pony. We showed everywhere and had a blast doing it. I miss the little guy a bunch, but now he has his own little kid to teach.

I think that's about it for me. If you want to know more, you can check out my page: http://mdphillips.tripod.com/horses.html

Lionheart
Feb. 15, 2000, 02:39 PM
Hi, my names Christine and i live in Mundelein, IL. I'm 25, married to a great horse husband, no kids other than my pets, work as an assitant the sales department of a backpack/sportbag manufacturer. I have 3 cats: Ellie May, Jethro & Jed, a 120 gallon saltwater reef aquarium and my most prized horse. My horse is a 11 year old TB gelding, bay. I bought Lion when he was 7 and quite lame. He was at a stable i was taking lessons at and he was going to auction. I was afraid the killers would buy this skinny lame horse so i bought him thinking i'd just purchased a very expensive lawn ornament. I started riding when i was 4 or 5. My aunt bought a farm and ponies. I was the only kid in school who wanted to be a jockey. I was unable to start taking lessons till i was 10 when i had a baby sitting job and could pay for them myself. I started jumping and havent looked back since. Since i've purchased Lion we're learning dressage so we might some day score well in our eventing. We event novice level but have the scope to move up to Prelim quicky if he was a little more brave. We dabble in dressage shows and hunter/jumper. I've also ridden with people who would make most of you cringe. I'm new to this board (brought on by the Jayne discussion) and have been checking out everything since. This is a great way to learn about everyone you read comments from. Great idea!

muckinout
Feb. 15, 2000, 04:01 PM
My turn! This is great! I'm Lisa, 36 years old and have been riding for 20+ years - eek! I've got 4 horses. I couldn't part with any of them...I just keep adding to the farm! I've got 2 Qtr/TB crosses, 1 TB and a brand new WB mare. I've got a toy poodle, and 5 barn cats that meticulosly patrol the property which is just above Harrisburg, PA.

I train in Chester County, I know 'Joker' very well...and I think I know SoEasy as well!

This board has been great, I guess I'm addicted too!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SoEasy
Feb. 15, 2000, 07:17 PM
Yes Lisa - you do know me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

shiloh
Feb. 15, 2000, 08:25 PM
Well, this is interesting....

My name is Michele, I live in Gilroy, CA (Garlic Capitol of the World - yum, yum) with my 3 kitties and my horse.

My horse is named Shiloh aka Sharpe's Diamond; he is a 19 yr old Thoroughbred gelding, white (well sometimes). He is a former jumper, who now has a career as a dressage horse. I recently discovered that he has been trained to 3rd level so that was exciting. He is the best boy and I adore him.

The cats are: Tessa, a siamese cross; Lula the Ragdoll and Amber the Abby cross. I can't imagine my life without them.

I am single, have a college edg-amcashun and a BS degree (how appropriate), but due to some various obstacles on the path of life, did not wind wind up where I wanted to be but am now working as an appt clerk for a hospital - and frankly I hate hate hate it, but it puts a roof over my head and pays for my addiction to animals. I have an extensive background in law enforcement - on the right side of the law, mind you...=)

I ride dressage now and think I will stick with it - it seems to appeal to the perfectionist in me.

My first horse was a beautiful Morgan mare named Tetonia Anna Marie that I got for free in 1986. She died in 1994 and I miss her still. My next 2 horses were mustangs and that is another story for another time - one got stolen, the other I had to give away because we clashed so bad. I leased a cute Appy mare for awhile but when I started showing her owners decided they really needed her back. Then I got my wonderful Shiloh.

Hmmm...other interests? You mean besides horses? Are there any - LOL!! No really, I'm an amateur birder - recently got my 15 minutes of fame when I spotted a rare bird for my area (a Sandhill crane), I read and sew and like to travel. Hate housecleaning, cooking - not very domestic I guess, but when I do it, it's done well. I love heavy metal music but rap and new age just make me grit my teeth.

I guess that's enough - now wake up! I heard you snoring!

(Notice that I did not tell my age - let's just say it is old enough to know better *S*)

[This message has been edited by shiloh (edited 02-15-2000).]

SugarFoot
Feb. 15, 2000, 11:04 PM
Hi! My name is Zetra (like zebra with a T) and I am 38 years old. I live in Florida, but am planning to relocate to Virginia this summer to go to Court Reporting school in Springfield.

I have loved horses all my life and 10 years ago my ex-husband bought me my wonderful American Quarter Horse, K.C. aka Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Of course, my ex-husband did not understand the horse thing and asked me to choose between him and my horse. Oh, well... I still have my horse! I am into combined training and do eventing, although I have not shown in a year. I love dressage (no better foundation for any kind of riding!) and jumping is still a rush!

My other animals: Cocker spaniel/Hana, calico kitty/Katee, rabbit/Rumple, 2 guinea pigs/Tassel and Dolly, rat/Brie, mouse/Samson, cockatiel/Tango and 2 corn snakes/Romeo and Juliet. (I think that's all of them!) Is it any wonder my e-mail is zeezoousa? Ponykid, thanks for a great idea!

Michelle
Feb. 16, 2000, 10:53 PM
Hi! I've been mostly lurking and reading, but I've decided to join in the fun! Well, My name is Danna and I'm 15 from Maryland. I started riding after a trip to a riding stable with the girl scouts. I've Been riding for 6 or 7 years now. I own a georgous 16.3hand Chestnut TB Gelding named All That Jazz aka Jazz or Spazz. We do the jumpers so far up to 4' and we might try eventing. I also show my moms horse Maxx in the hunters sometimes. He is a 17.3hand Bay TB Gelding. We call him Chocolate Thunder.

I also have 4 dogs ( 1 German Shepard, 1 Mastiff, 1 Shi Tzu, and 1 Mutt) and a farm cat. I home school and plan on graduating a year early and looking for a working student position with a jumper trainer.

Aside from horses I like to listen to Heavy metal and punk music, Korn and Rammstein being my favorites. I also like biology and learning about different spiritual and cultural beliefs. I also work for my Dad as his personal secretary. I do all the computer work so he doesn't screw the computer up. It pays nicely. Anyway thats me! :0)

shiloh
Feb. 17, 2000, 06:05 PM
Michelle - Love Rammstein - "Du, Du Hast Mech," that song is sooo wierd I have to laugh when I hear it. All my friends listen to country (yawn!) and I'm the only one into metal. Welcome, fellow metal head....=)

Michelle
Feb. 17, 2000, 10:07 PM
<<Originally posted by shiloh:
Michelle - Love Rammstein - "Du, Du Hast Mech," that song is sooo wierd I have to laugh when I hear it. All my friends listen to country (yawn!) and I'm the only one into metal. Welcome, fellow metal head....=)>>

Thanks Shiloh! If I have a really bad day I love to shut the door to my room and turn the volume up as loud as it will go. It totally calms me :0) My parents on the other hand don't seem to share my point of view :0) I understand about the country music. My mom is totally into it, too tame for my liking. My dad on the other hand favors classical/opera music. Now THAT gives me a headache!!! (no offense to people who like classical/opera music.)

Chesapeake22
Feb. 20, 2000, 09:38 PM
Hey all. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif My name is Jenise and I'm from New Jersey. I do the large ponies on Chesapeake, mainly in New Jersey, but hopefully we'll go to some shows in VA and MD too. I used to do the children's ponies on my old pony French Vanilla, but she was recently sold to get "Spice". I also have a cat named Basia, and I really want a dog, but mom says no! Um...I'm 14 years old and a Freshman in high school. I want to go to UVA or Duke for college (high expectations, huh?) and eventually work in journalism or photography. Well, nice to meet you all!

Baileys
Feb. 21, 2000, 02:03 PM
No one has continued to post on this thread, but since I am new to this board, it'll give me a chance to introduce myself.

I am 30, and have been involved with horses since I was 5. I was born to unhorsey parents, who supported my riding with lessons and equipment, less the horse! Of course, I always had horses to ride and show whenever I wanted since my parents would drive 45 minutes each way to get me somewhere close to a horse. Three cheers for mom and dad!

I competed regularly in the junior hunters and equitation classes. Went to college and got a degree in horses. The summer after grad I went to NC and got CHA certified to work at a summer camp, and from there groomed for New Hope Farms, which I truly loved. But, I wanted my own horse and knew the only way I'd be competing in Florida myself was if I could afford it myself. So, I went back to school. Got my degree and went back to working with horses. So, I am addicted what can I say!!

Five years later, I settled down to a career which I hate in order to "afford" my hobby. And today, in 2000, another 4 years later, I own my very first horse!!!!! Bailey is what I call him, I saved this guy from starvation and dehydration. Fortunately for him, I was in the right place at the right time. How could anyone starve a 16.1 hand registered appendix quarter horse (any horse for that matter), but one with so much potential? He is 7 years old and has been with me since November 6th. We are seeing lots of weight gain now, and this week I am going to start slow work with him. Maybe in a couple of years, we'll actually be in Florida!!! That's my goal.

I'm a bit long winded, but for those of you out there who are begging mom and dad for a horse...not to discourage you, but you may have to wait a ton of years, but "good things come to those who wait!!!!"

N&B&T
Apr. 23, 2000, 09:40 AM
As mentioned, moving this forward...

showrider
Apr. 23, 2000, 10:17 PM
I have a Tb mare that is Built more on the warmblood side. I have owned for about 15+ years now. When I first got her, we showed in the Maiden/Novice divisions. We moved up to the Limits, then the Mini's and Children's hunter, then to the Big Equi. After my Juniors where up, we went to the Adult Ams, up to the A/O. My trainer at the time did her in the first and second year greens up to the Open Hunters.
Now all Erin and I do are the State stuff. I don't show her over 2'6 any more. She doesn't need to do it, although she is more that capable of doing it.
I also have a JR puppy named Kolby. He is not you typical Jack. He is great to have around.
I am 30 yrs. old, with 3 kids. The youngest being 4, and the oldest being 8. They all have the same father, but we are not together anymore.

Starz
Apr. 24, 2000, 11:02 AM
Hi, I am Danielle. I am 14 and I am from Ohio..............
I show in the Small Juniors at A shows with my horse, her name is Simplicity aka Gloria. We imported Gloria from France at the begining of this year.
My sisters also ride. My littlest sister owns a small pony named Beanie Baby and is riding the small pony Zoey untill she sells. My other sister has a med pony named Longacre Hats Off. "Sparky" still has his green year but we are waiting to break it untill next year - he is going to kick serious butt.

ccoronios
Apr. 24, 2000, 11:11 AM
Oh my word - what fun! I've just spent a while reading everybody's post...
TBLover - I taught at Babylon for a while (late 60s); and in earlier 60s, was a Jr. Counsellor at Equitation Lodge, which at that time was owned by Thomas School; and was the TB breeder you worked for by any chance Tom Martin?

HunterH & Louise - a million years ago, I worked for a ROC H/J barn - not one of the two you mentioned, neither of which was around - this one is closer to the thruway /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Betsy Fox - you must know friends of mine - Paul & Barbara Wicks.....

Pat - does that barn in Leonia still operate? I was born in Montclair - but never rode there. I'm the videographer for IHSA Nationals - will any of the Columbia U. team be going to ATL?

Salsalito - I don't know if you have transportation - but a TERRIFIC opportunity to meet all the H/J minded collegians would be IHSA Nationals, which will be in ATL (Conyers - GIHP) May 12 - 14, if you can get there.

Skiis - have a wonderful time in Ireland. I did (back in '69)

Shiloh - I am right there with you re: not doing what you "intended" to do..... BS in Educ/Humanities/Social Sciences - now a secretary (but it gives me the benefits and the time to run my own videography business - horse shows, of course!)

ccoronios
Apr. 24, 2000, 11:34 AM
Well, now that I found like I've found a bunch of new friends, I'll get into the "who am I" game..
I'm - uh - "old" - over half a century! Who was it who thought that a quarter century was a mind-blower?? And overweight - by today's "standards", would always have been. Thank heaven, size 10-12 was considered slim - and now is almost as unobtainable as 4 or 6. Oh well.
I was very fortunate to have lived within bike distance from the OLD St. Lawrence stables - and spent many happy hours there, building a solid foundation on wonderful school horses with supportive, knowledgeable, disciplined instructors. AND - BEST FUN - just "re-met" one of them last year at a show in SYR - after 41 years!!!!
After parents' divorce and relocation to LI, I was lucky to ride a couple times a month - at a couple different hack barns. Lessons from one woman who was a far better marketer than instructor (found out later that she'd started riding a few years before - amazing what $$ can buy). Unbroke horses, more ego than knowledge, took me years to believe that Littauer had a brain, since she claimed to be his finest product - sustained lasting damage to my confidence. But learned how truly fortunate I had been to learn from and on such superb professionals as John Stoecker and Miss Martin and Pogo and Buddy and Suki and....
Two supportive coaches later and a few months in Ireland (Burton Hall) - led to several years of riding, training & teaching in several states (NY, SC, OR).
Added western (Aps) to my repertoire; then some saddle seat. My last Ap was top ten in the nation in trail and saddle seat pleasure (both Open and A/O).
Now, I video horse shows in the NE - as well as hold down an office job to pay major bills and provide benefits.....
What a NEAT idea for us all to meet like this!

Apr. 24, 2000, 12:05 PM
I really enjoyed reading your profiles!
I am 33 and grew up in Westchester County only 45 minutes from NYC. Although I lived in horse country my parents were fearful of "paying for a broken neck" so I only managed a casual weekend ride. My BA is from Simmons in Boston and after school I moved back to NYC. I joined Morgan Stanley on the bond desk in Toronto 5 yrs ago. I am still homesick for the States and can't wait to go back but taking up riding last summer changed my life.

My major riding highlight was a cross country trip to England last summer. I try to ride/lesson 2/3 times a week and still can't believe the feeling I have when I "get it" and my instructor says "yes girl, now you're riding".

Although I love my boyfriend and my 2yr old Golden Retriever Reilly, nothing quite makes me smile like I do when I ride.

Evan
Apr. 24, 2000, 04:03 PM
Hi, I am relatively new to the BB. Here it goes. I am 21/f getting ready to graduate from college with a Equine Studies degree. I also took classes that are required for veterinary school. I have ridden seriously for about 10 years but only started showing when I came to college. I ride mainly jumpers but have tried dressage and eventing.
I've never owned my own horse so everything that I have learned came from school horses. If you'd like to chat further, e-mail me.