PDA

View Full Version : Barn in Atlanta-METRO??

EqChick
Aug. 9, 2001, 06:22 AM
I hate to bring this up again, I know a lot of people ask this, but...

I am finally living in Atlanta and loving it. New house, new job, new people to date /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , but I haven't had time to get into the hunter-scene yet. So, now I'm on a mission. I would like to find a barn I can at least begin to get back into riding at. I don't have the time to show regularly right now (traveling, locals are okay), so I want to get back on a horse and start learning the Atlanta scene. Then I'll make a decision about who I want to stick with.

Can anyone help me? I live in Midtown and work close by, so any barn that's not in Conyers or Athens should be okay. Anything inside the perimeter would be a Godsend! I know about Chastain, but I hear if you're not boarding, you can't ride there. Is that accurate? I don't own a horse, so need to find a trainer with something I can get on for a couple months, and then I'm looking to lease or possibly buy. Have to >>as always<< wait and see how work goes- forever living around the travel schedule /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif .

One last thing, if any of you have specific comments about who I definitely should stay away from, please email me and let me know. Also, if there are any good shows coming up in the area you think I could meet people at, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks so much for the help!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EqChick
Aug. 9, 2001, 06:22 AM
I hate to bring this up again, I know a lot of people ask this, but...

I am finally living in Atlanta and loving it. New house, new job, new people to date /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif , but I haven't had time to get into the hunter-scene yet. So, now I'm on a mission. I would like to find a barn I can at least begin to get back into riding at. I don't have the time to show regularly right now (traveling, locals are okay), so I want to get back on a horse and start learning the Atlanta scene. Then I'll make a decision about who I want to stick with.

Can anyone help me? I live in Midtown and work close by, so any barn that's not in Conyers or Athens should be okay. Anything inside the perimeter would be a Godsend! I know about Chastain, but I hear if you're not boarding, you can't ride there. Is that accurate? I don't own a horse, so need to find a trainer with something I can get on for a couple months, and then I'm looking to lease or possibly buy. Have to >>as always<< wait and see how work goes- forever living around the travel schedule /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif .

One last thing, if any of you have specific comments about who I definitely should stay away from, please email me and let me know. Also, if there are any good shows coming up in the area you think I could meet people at, that would be helpful, too.

Thanks so much for the help!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Charis
Aug. 9, 2001, 06:56 AM
Need your e-mail address!!!

Lucassb
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:01 AM
I have been in Atlanta now for about 8 years and would be happy to try to help.

Email me if you'd like more info.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Susan

irish horse lover
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:28 AM
I can add my 2 cents too if you give your e-mail.

DMK
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:38 AM
Whew... glad you guys got that taken care of! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif We wouldn't want to have to rely on MY knowledge of local riding/barns, would we? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charis
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:42 AM
Gee, Irish Horse Woman!! Your 2 cents and my 2 cents would nearly make a nickel! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
LOL

irish horse lover
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:47 AM
DMK- between you, me and Lisa - we can write a book of where to go BUT more importantly- where NOT to go!!! Sorry - I forgot about Lucassb - she could put the finishing touches on the saga!!

Charis - if we can only convince people to look alittle further north - HAVE WE GOT A PLACE FOR THEM!!!!

EqChick
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:57 AM
For those of you responding, thank you so much. Any information you might have would be a huge help. Like I said, too, if you know about a show around here coming up that I could see some trainers in action, that would be great. Or if you guys will be participating, I can start networking with COTH BBrs in Atlanta!

Please email me at kittmurphy@hotmail.com The reason I ask for no abuse is, I don't want to get 500 junk emails from posting my address. Any helpful advice and/or contacts would be greatly appreciated!

And DMK, go ahead and send a book, I'm the type that would feel more comfortable the more information I have. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Thanks again for your time!

Lucassb
Aug. 9, 2001, 08:17 AM
Don't you think we should warn EqChick about how boarding-challenged we are... I mean, we ARE a picky group!!

So, EqChick, be forewarned. We are pretty much all the type that like our horses to be fed on schedule, top of the line grain/hay, lots of fluffy shavings over mats, thank you very much... and oh yes, the paddocks better have nice grass and good fencing and the ring footing... well, you get the idea!!! As far as I have been able to tell, these are NOT routine offerings at boarding facilities in this part of the world...

EqChick
Aug. 9, 2001, 08:31 AM
Tell me about it! I grew up in Dunwoody and have ridden at a couple hole-in-the-wall places in Alpharetta which are long-time gated communities now, and one barn in Dunwoody that I understand to be closed now. I had a friend that used to board at Atlanta Equestrian Center (? some really generic name like that) off Lawrenceville HWY years ago, and she felt like she had to constantly be checking on her horses. That place didn't have one trainer- actually there were many. She thought since there wasn't one person trying to market the barn really well, people didn't take care of it as well as they should. I don't even know if that place is still around (this was 10+ years ago), and I don't know if that's really what I'm looking for, either.

I like places that are smaller, mostly adult clients, clean, safe, sane- of course we all know how challenging that can be! Let me know if you've got suggestions- like I said, I just want to break back into the scene- I'll decide who I want to commit to once I've gotten to know the local horse community better. I figure while I'm flexible (without animal dependants) I should try to shop and get to know people.

Lucassb
Aug. 9, 2001, 09:08 AM
SE Regionals are at Chateau Elan Sept 16-17 (DMK, check me... is that right? My prize list is at home ;< )

There will be a number of trainers there, though the divisions other than the big eq are likely to be smallish... however, it would be a place to start, and we *do* make a habit of going to the Pub (conveniently located ON the horseshow grounds) afterward... I am SURE you are welcome to join us!

Piper
Aug. 9, 2001, 09:26 AM
I too would be interested in the places to go and places to avoid in Atlanta. Am trying to get my son interested in riding. My husband is a lost cause!! Please email me at matthewsmom@mindspring.com

Thanks!

EqChick
Aug. 9, 2001, 09:29 AM
In my horse-world experience, there is no better way to get the dirt on regional politics than to swap stories over a beer. I would love to see the big eqs at Chateau Elan, too- I really miss competitive equitation. (You guys probably know how inconsistent the adults can be- besides I don't have a honker wedding ring to impress the judges /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif although I bet I'll shamelessly use one when I get it /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Lucassb and Irish Horse Lover, thanks for the emails. You guys have helped me out a lot. I might call you to get some other numbers, but I recognized a lot of the names you mentioned which was a relief. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I think I am going to start visiting barns this weekend. I'll post again to see if my first impressions meet with reputations- I don't want to get the wool pulled over my eyes.

In the mean time- what do you all think about the adults in this area. Is it worth going to local shows, or should one concentrate efforts (and vacation time) on A shows? Depending on what horse I end up with I'd probably be in adults- maybe hunter, maybe eq, maybe jumpers- most likely not over 3'6" unless some fantastic horse becomes available to me.

Is there just GHJA or are there other local show orgs? I really should probably just go pick a brain at the tack store, but if you guys don't mind, I consider this a more reliable source than whoever Corner Tack Store has got working on a Sat. morning.

Lucassb
Aug. 9, 2001, 09:39 AM
I think there were something like 14 A shows in the Atlanta area this year. So it is possible to do quite a bit of showing at good facilities etc without having to travel too far. Conyers and Chateau Elan are both excellent facilities with quite a few good shows.

I personally am partial to Bob Bell's shows, and for local or schooling shows have found the Progressive Show Jumping weekends to be very good also. At the risk of sounding like a complete jerk, I have been extremely unimpressed with most of the GHJA events I have seen.

The adults here are pretty fun. Divisions can be large (like many places, we LOVE that 3' ring!) but generally friendly and as I mentioned we do make a habit of the pub routine.

PS... too funny about the ring. My darling SO knows "the spec" that is required ("oh THAT'S why you wear gloves with the crochet stuff on the back...so you can SEE THE ROCK!") and I will be right there with ya!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Aug. 9, 2001, 10:48 AM
HEY!!!! YOU guys are "boarding challenged" I'M a "boarding dropout" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I "fixed" my problem /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

SE Regionals are September 14-16, also there is a John Rush show at Chateau Elan the weekend before Labor Day weekend.

Oh, and lucassb... if you are sounding like a jerk about GHJA local shows, I am right there sounding like one with you. My opinion - such as it is - is if you are going to do local shows, take the time to check them out in advance of spending money, or just go to Rick's PSJ shows, and be happy...

irish horse lover
Aug. 9, 2001, 10:54 AM
DMK - I joined your group - if you want something done right - do it yourself!!! I'm loving having my own place but can't wait to get barn help.

Don't forget about Stacey Boe show at Conyers during Labor Day weekend. That would be a good place to view the local trainers since there is usually a decent turnout at the show. The problem here is that there aren't many places that have lesson strings.

Lucassb
Aug. 9, 2001, 11:32 AM
Don't rub it in about the boarding challenged thing!! Don't I KNOW you got your deal fixed!! I am sooooo jealous!!!!

Guess we should plan our pub outing for regionals...

what do you say?

RolexH
Aug. 9, 2001, 12:35 PM
eqchick-- Long lost BB-er!!!!
when you find the 3'6" horse to lease make sure you get the twin brother for me! hehehe (preferably a free lease :P ) What about the numbers Rob gave you? call him. Ps/ what are you doing? are you working right now or are you loafing on the job??? I am telling!!!!!

(rolex is doing a kidney bean too)

~~Lisa~~

lisa
Aug. 9, 2001, 02:57 PM
I've finally made it!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, everyone (DMK, Irish, Lucassb) are pretty much correct about the lack of a boarding facility having everything we want, including total freedom... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

On a tangent, seems like we have a good group of adults (well, I do have Rachel, but she doesn't count /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) who are willing to pay a fair price, are involved in the same discipline, and want the same things in a facility. Why isn't there a place for us?

As far as the local GHJA shows go, most of the adults (myself included) do both some locals and the As, as the fence height is 3' for both. There are good locals, and then there are those, ummm, unmentionables that I won't take my horse to. Unfortunately, the quality local shows are PSJ and that's it, IM(not so)HO. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Oh, and John Rush is doing locals now. His are pretty good. Forgot about that. Oh, but, at his first try at a local, there were all of seven jumps in the main hunter ring. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know of any barns that you'd want that have lesson horses available.

Oh, and if you want to do the eq, the locals are the place to do it. Most everybody I've found showing at the As in this zone uses the eq as a warm-up. The AHSA eq, if it is even offered, doesn't fill to my knowledge.

As DMK mentioned, John Rush has a show at Chateau the 24-26 (I'll be there), and then Stacey Boe is a local A rated show (has all the medals, including the AHSA adult medal, which never has filled (one year, I was the only one entered /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) ), and draws not only all the local people, but strictly A barns too. It is a very nice show, with lots of prize money offered, especially for the jumpers. And, it's for an excellent cause.

Lucassb is right: it is possible to have the best of both worlds with the amount of good shows right here.

On another note, so when was the pub gathering? Was I not informed?

DMK
Aug. 9, 2001, 06:31 PM
Lisa dahlink - read the message - pub outing at regionals - we had a thread referencing this a few weeks (months?) ago.

But... and here's an idea... how about a COTH outing DURING the regionals on Sunday? I see a few coolers of beer, wine and munchies, while watching some pretty decent eq trips. If we aren't tired after that, we can remove ourselves to the pub...

Thoughts, anyone?

Just My Style
Aug. 9, 2001, 07:57 PM
I am the Executive Secretary of the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association. If you go to our web page www.ghja.org (http://www.ghja.org) and email me, I will send you the list of trainers who are GHJA members. It's a good start.

sadie1
Aug. 10, 2001, 06:42 AM
I agree with Cashmere...BUT - some of the best trainers in the Atlanta area are not GHJA members for one reason or another. I know one of the best who hasn't joined in several years as a type of boycott on the quality of local shows, as they were being run years ago. She goes only to the quality A shows so it doesn't matter to her. Her customers join GHJA to be able to get points at the regular show level. I'm not trying to slam the GHJA local circuit but with the large number of A's in our area the best trainers usually go to those shows and I noticed they weren't listed in my GHJA triner's listing.

irish horse lover
Aug. 10, 2001, 06:48 AM
Let's all get together at the Regionals - of course, I won't be showing. I'd hate to ruin my record of not showing for 1 year. I am a great cheering section - had plenty of practice. I can taste a Black & Tan now!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 06:58 AM
A COTH outing on Sunday at regionals sounds great... DMK, you are the wine goddess, yes? Will you give us a list of what libations to bring? My kitchen renovation from H*ll should be over by then, so I will be happy to bring munchies, wine or both...

And Lisa, for shame... we would NEVER plan a pub outing without you!!!!! Is Rachel showing at regionals?

But you raise an interesting point. There ARE, in fact, quite a number of adults in our area with similar interests, dare I say standards, and a willingness to pay for their accommodation. I am at a total loss to explain why there aren't facilities which cater to this group. S-dale comes closest for me so far, but I am not sure that I would describe the cost as "fair!" (However, as J. frequently points out, it is LESS expensive than having me back at one of the places we've been before, because of the anger therapy expense...)

DMK
Aug. 10, 2001, 07:12 AM
Well, not to worry, irish - I won't be showing in the Regionals either /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I can't think of a better idea than for a bunch of adults to get together, drink wine and provide color commentary on a bunch of juniors who could ride circles around us, blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their backs /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OK, LaurieB - ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD?????

irish horse lover
Aug. 10, 2001, 07:43 AM
My friend and I have been so unhappy boarding our horses - that she built her own barn on 150 acres. I don't mean to brag - BUT - it's wonderful. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Right now we have an 8 stall barn - with 4 stalls that are to be boarders stalls. When we are 100% ready - the Georgia group is cordially invited to an open house. Horses might also be invited. If we don't hook up at the regionals - this might be an acceptable alternative.

findeight
Aug. 10, 2001, 07:43 AM
I will be going south to show at the Atlanta Fall Classics. Perhaps LordHelpus can be pursuaded to make the trek along with the rest of the Ohio Ky. Clique. Only 7 hour drive or so. Perhaps there is a purveyor of adult beverages nearby?
I too know somebody to stay away from in your area. My Email addy is on my profile.
Once beat the bushes for a decent boarding barn in So. Texas. Ended up in a Saddlebred barn. Good ones as in World Champions. He did not mind my western APHA horse in there.Perhaps you ladies could locate a situation where another breed type barn just needs to fill stalls. You might find a free lance trainer to come by twice a week or something. Seriously check it out. Saddlebred, Arab, Morgan. All take good care of the stock. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

From Allergy Valley USA

RolexH
Aug. 10, 2001, 08:02 AM
This isn't fair! I have been a lurker/member here for over a year and a half. THEN My darling best Friend (Eqchick) has mannaged in one post to round everyone up to meet for BEER!! I am so jeolus!!

Why this is unfare:
1) I live in FL and never see my ATlanta friends
2)I never rarely turn down a beer adventure
3)I have TWO threads in H/J and off course begging BB-ers to meet me in NY at HITS..NOBODY wants to /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

That is it. When is this "meeting?" Maybe I can come up and really make the party happen. hahaha lol

~~Lisa~~

EqChick
Aug. 10, 2001, 08:47 AM
RolexH, there really is an easy solution to your dilemma- fly up for Regionals!!

You will probably see a ton of old friends, you can help me interview trainers /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif and we can take pictures of the kids for the horse show dogs thread!

Lucassb, DMK, Irish... I can garauntee you that RolexH and I can bring some fun to the Regionals suaree. RolexH happens to be one of the best amateur judges I know (Eq and Hunter/Conf). I would consider myself more of a color commentator (What exactly do you think she was smoking when she put THAT shirt and THAT coat on when riding THAT horse?!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Sounds like fun to me! Oh, by the way:
Lucassb- if you ever want a rock to borrow- RolexH is a good friend to have. I have already contemplated asking her to let me show it off in my first AO class (once I get the animal to match!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hope this all works out, the rest of you need to give RolexH a lot of grief until she consents. She needs to have a girls' weekend now that she's MARRIED da, da, da, dum /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 08:58 AM
Sounds like you better get busy with your travel agent. We Atlantans are a relentless bunch. Hey, fair's fair... we go to FLORIDA in the winter; only reasonable that you should come see *us*... and your pal EqChick needs you!

I will offer to bring your favorite adult beverage, if that will help convince you... myself, I am partial to Newcastle Brown Ale or a nice Merlot (DMK is the queen of Merlots, tho)

I am also pretty good at the color commentary (Hey, I understand that not all of us can RIDE well, but dressing correctly is a no brainer, right??)

As far as the Rock goes, if RolexH would just consent to flash it around prominently (to reinforce that this is a common and required element of the AA world,) that would probably be fine... I have tried on a couple recently that would do *very nicely*... identified by having not only the salesperson, but also the other customers in the store, execute that sharp intake of breath...

I am thinking a nice baked brie would go well with our snacks, and of course some crab and artichoke dip for crackers... what else??

RolexH
Aug. 10, 2001, 09:41 AM
LucassB am I am not too sure my favorite drink is what "normal" people drink in the day. hehehe I guess I can get a bottle of Montrachet...it would be a fitting wine for a horseshow. what's the dates?

the big rock: yes indeed it does go lovely with everything BUT Kitty Hawk you must wear gloves when you ride (especially in eq!). Darling.... we must start at square one, mustn't we? It is the diamond EARINGS that we need! Two rocks: righ ear and left ear. Just large enough to see gleaming aross a ring right at the judge.

Hmmmm... I would love to try out some trainers with you. Sit with the video camara. And of course we do need to put this COTH in order. Our Jack Russells are the most handsome, brilliant, and fabulous terrors on this board. OKay I am serriously considering this...

~~Lisa~~

DMK
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:22 AM
JRT's huh? We may have to clear it with my corgi first! (he is the king of horse show dogs /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

As for wine, I think a lovely selection of merlots and pinot noirs are in order. If the weather is a tad cool (hah!), perhaps something with more body like a zinfandel. And of course, I always keep a decent stock of chardonnay on hand (it really is a "summer" wine).

And I think I too need a crack at that rock... I'll be heading (hopefully) back into the A/Os soon, and since I am single AND compete in the (gasp) Olders, I feel dreadfully at a disadvantage without a rock in that group. Almost naked as it were. And the ear studs, while cute, can't hardly catch the eye of the person talked into polishing my boots, much less the judge.

SE Regionals are Sept 14-16, with THE Regionals on 9/16, not to start before 1 PM. Mark your calendars!!

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:25 AM
Not to worry, I know I speak for the whole group when I assure you that *these* girls can throw convention out the window in a good cause.

Besides, I can make snacks that work with ANY desired adult beverage. Perhaps a nice Stoly and some chive & cheddar puffs?? Not to worry, we will think of something appropriate.

Love the earrings idea... of course, it is always better to have BOTH (matching, natch...)

Do let us know when you are planning to arrive and we will be sure to roll out the red carpet. Or at least dust off a spot on the rail for you...

EqChick
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:27 AM
Okay guys, I will stop at this place in town that has great, *pre-prepared* (redundant?) food on the way to the show called Eatsies. ATL ladies, if you have not already descovered this wonderful place, introduce yourself!

RolexH, make the flight arrangements, mi casa es su casa. We can go earring shopping while you're here, too. I agree with you on the gloves, but I figured now that I'm in the Adults, they were no longer expected! Geese- from the classes I've seen if I show up in a hunt coat, I was ahead of the game! Oh, well- an excuse to buy some honker earrings now (I couldn't find an excuse to buy the ring for myself, but the earrings, we can justify that one with ribbons, easy).

Charis
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:42 AM
I'm famous in horse circles for my quacamole and other ringside appropriate munchies!!

DMK: Is your corgi social? If so, Harry would love to meet him/her.

Irish is not exagerating about the farm in good ol' C'ville!!! The footing in the ring drains in 20 minutes!!

PS: When the Atlanta crowd comes visiting Irish Horse Woman's new place, we'll have to make it like a progressive dinner (progressive barn tour?)
Y'all have to make a stop at my place as well!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

irish horse lover
Aug. 10, 2001, 10:53 AM
Charis - maybe we can convince Julie Montgomery to make an appearance and add her onto the barn tour list.Maybe we can make the trek over to the regionals together - since we are both on the other side of the world? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DMK
Aug. 10, 2001, 11:05 AM
OK, my trailer is hitched up and ready to make a tour of the various rings... uh, and their barns /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But we know NO barn evaluation could be truly complete unless we let Robbie test his tootsies /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif He's sort of like Norm on Cheers, when he got the job as a Beer Taster - he's almost TOO good for the job! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

yes, Charis, Casey is very social - loves kids, mud, other dogs, mud, adults, my scooter, mud, golfcarts, and did I mention mud?

RolexH
Aug. 10, 2001, 11:32 AM
DMK-- One of Rolex's first friends was a corgi. Mr. Rolex loves everybody. EqChick has Emma, she is his daughter. Too cute for words! She kind of looks like a squirrel though. Shhh don't tell her owner; she is a little obsessed. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I am marking my calender. I really think I will join the crew in Hotlanta. This shall be an event that the COTH will not forget. AT least not unless all memories are a little too cloudy due to some great Margeritas.

LucassB- you have got this hor'derve thing down pat! Some Vodka; some olives; and cheese! Just what my hips need. If the vodka is a little too much then I will go for a cold Corona after all it is the "summer beer". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You can tell that I am focusing WAY too much on the consumption of fine liquids. But hell, why not: you then will meet Lisa (rolexH) at her finest. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Eqchick- yes you have made a point. Of course some of the "shows" we have been hanging out at have been pretty frightening. The bar has been raised. The votes are in: gloves are a yes; and HUGE Diamond Stud earings are the new "want". Does Mr. RolexH know this yet? No, but he will love my new "have-to-have". And for you: Stud earings are not the only 'stud' I expect to see nibbling those ears... (attorney? hottie? real estate babe? JD haha?)

~~Lisa~~

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 11:36 AM
Oh EqChick, you ARE going to be one of us!!!

Eatsie's is *wonderful* and of course conveniently located next to Maier and Berkele (though now they call it Mayor's Jewelry, I believe.) They have a very reasonable selection of sparklies. I was disappointed to find, however, that they don't have (and can't seem to obtain) the cushion cut I *really* want.

<sigh> I know it is an old-fashioned cut, but I WANT one!!!!

DMK, I found a very nice Pinot Noir at Harry's the other day. Shall I bring some for us to try?

irish horse lover
Aug. 10, 2001, 11:43 AM
This is starting to sound like quite a soiree!! But it could get ugly /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I will also bring some munchies - the beverage dept. seems to be taken care of. One question though - which is the official date for the get together and what location (ring or hillside). I guess that was 2 questions - OOPS!!

DMK- you and Robbie are cordially invited to be the testers for our ring. Maybe Lisa and her family will join in. The ring is huge so there is room for plenty more.

sadie1
Aug. 10, 2001, 12:07 PM
The GHJA website schedule says the S.E. Regionals are going to be at Wills Park instead of Chateau Elan - am I confused?

DMK
Aug. 10, 2001, 12:12 PM
The GHJA website would be wrong, although it was originally scheduled for Wills Park. Methinks John Rush learned where the better footing is!

irish... I suggest we start out AT the ring, then remove ourselves to the hill (under the trees) before the irate mommas and trainers remove us by force /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 12:30 PM
I think you are *correct* about Mr. Rush's learning curve!!

We can certainly make adjustments to the specific location as the weather dictates... I'm guessing shade might be a good thing... hate when a nice Pinot is overly warm, don't you? Not to mention, it does *bad* things to the cheese puffs.

Shall we shoot for 12:30-ish at ringside for preparations?

LaurieB
Aug. 10, 2001, 12:55 PM
Yes, DMK, having just returned from vacation, I am now reading this thread. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A get-together sounds wonderful to me. I'll be yet another person supplying something to drink. Nobody eats my cooking, if they can avoid it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DMK
Aug. 10, 2001, 01:07 PM
You noticed that many people put me on the list for "bottled drinks" as opposed to "edible food", right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

So Julie - are you going to joint the Northeastern migration to Chateau Elan?

OK, where is lmh?

irish horse lover
Aug. 10, 2001, 01:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing about lmh being absent from the planning. She hasn't been on the BB in awhile, if I am correct. I didn't notice what day was decided upon - would someone please clarify. I will hopefully be bringing a BB virgin with me - she is my partner in crime at our new barn. She's abit on the quiet side - we'll see what we can do to change that! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Are diamonds mandatory for attendence?

Julie - you can catch a ride with Charis and myself if interested.

Lucassb
Aug. 10, 2001, 01:44 PM
but not required!! Although you all have to oooh and ahhh at my new tennis bracelet. (It isn't a ROCK but it certainly was acceptable as a measure of good faith!!)

I believe we agreed on 12:30-1:00-ish at ringside on the 16th.

Just an observation, I note that we seem to be looking at more alcohol than food... Perhaps we should be planning hotel rooms, or possibly arranging to take the following Monday as a personal day...hehe it would *not* be the first time!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EqChick
Aug. 10, 2001, 02:22 PM
Okay, ladies. I will bring some food so that we will be able to balance our intake. Sounds like a plan on the 16th. I've never met anyone from COTH that I didn't already know- this is a test!

RolexH, we should go find our rust breeches and rubber boots so we can impress everyone! (Remind me to leave Emma's good leash at home.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I am off for a happy hour now, so I will rejoin the conversation soon. Hopefully I can make it to a few barns tomorrow and will report to you all. Don't worry, moderator, I will hold my toungue where necessary. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Charis
Aug. 10, 2001, 07:55 PM
Just got back from pigging out, ooops, having DINNER with Irish Horse Woman.

I'm so PROUD...my baby Savannah went for her 2nd only ride in the trailer(and first in a year). She was a little doll. She and her sister Annie are visiting the dressage lady while I'm at the Pony Finals.

I then took a swing by to see Irish and Jackie at 3 Bears. UNBELIEVABLE!! Hadn't been by in a week and 1/2. It is really gorgeous. I was even able to use the fantastic new drive, no need to back up with that darn trailer there!!

Julie Montgomery.. sincere thanks for the testimonial on my "guac". You, of course, MUST join us at Chateau Elan.

DMK, LUCAS, Eq Chic,ROLEX, ETC. ETC.
I look forward to meeting you in the flesh. Sounds like the libations to be served guarantee fun will be had by all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Charis on Aug. 10, 2001 at 11:28 PM.]

Rockford
Aug. 10, 2001, 09:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But... and here's an idea... how about a COTH outing DURING the regionals on Sunday? I see a few coolers of beer, wine and munchies, while watching some pretty decent eq trips. If we aren't tired after that, we can remove ourselves to the pub... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sitting here getting progressively jealous the more and more I read this thread, that all of you are going to be having the (relaxing, I might add) time of your life on a day that I'm gonna be more nervous and worried than I've been since uh...last year at Regionals... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Unfortunately (or probably fortunately), I will not be in Atlanta to provide the entertainment- as I did last year, doing a nose dive into jump 5- for ya'll because I'm doing my Regionals in another region, but I hope you have a ton of fun!

~*~Megan~*~

lisa
Aug. 11, 2001, 04:41 AM
Spend the day at Six Flags, and come back to three pages!

DMK, sweetie, we discussed pubbing, but as I recall, no plans ever materialized. Uhhhh, no one was there but me... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sounds good about regionals. As we all know, I can critique right up there with DMK and Irish, but sometimes I'm not as, ummm, brutal...

Lucassb, you're right about S'dale being a nice place, but I just can't afford to put three there. I was talking about reasonable board, for horsemen, not the "let's see who really wants to be here because they can afford it" crowd. Not talking about you, Lucassb. You're one of us... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Remind me to tell you a story about the day we were over there.

I will probably not be showing at Regionals, and I doubt Rachel will, unless she goes with Other Trainer. So I'm definitely up for the Maclay watch. I prefer bay breezes though... Yummm.... But Irish, remember that great dip? I'm gonna make it.

And EqChick, I may have the solution to your horse dilemma. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RolexH
Aug. 11, 2001, 07:36 AM
OKay after all of this "wine" talk I HAD to do a test run last night. My husband and I opened our Biltmore special reserve. I got a little light headed. I need to rebuild a wine tolerance. MUST PRACTICE MORE.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif .

Well I am sure this is earth Shattering for each and everyone of you, but I have schedueled an inlaw visit that weekend. Fortunatly my inlaws live only 1 1/2 south of Eqchick!! (They live in Perry Georgia/Macon area) Yahoooo! I will just drive up and stay in the big city and then come and P-A-r-t-y with the gals. I will have to make my taco dip huh Eqchick?? I am sure Eqchick can make some weird Indian/or mediteranain treat too.

And guys, I am glowing. I actually had some people respond to my threads on meeting in NY. I will be able to drink with BB-er's all over the country!! After this I will be creating the Alumni Newsletter. Pictures and all. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~~Lisa~~

~SC~
Aug. 13, 2001, 06:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rockford:
I'm sitting here getting progressively jealous the more and more I read this thread, that all of you are going to be having the (relaxing, I might add) time of your life on a day that I'm gonna be more nervous and worried than I've been since uh...last year at Regionals... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~*~Megan~*~<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too Megs! No relaxing for either one of us! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Sunny has put me on an extremely intensive training plan to get my really ready..:rolleyes: I could probably counter canter in my sleep now! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~Sarah

lisa
Aug. 14, 2001, 05:48 AM
OK, EqChick, report, report!

And Rachel will definitely not be showing at Regionals -- no jumpers.

So have we all decided it's a go?

irish horse lover
Aug. 14, 2001, 06:27 AM
It is a go!!! A small contingent from the Northwest side of Atlanta will be there!! We will bring some munchies - the beverage dept. seems to be well taken care of. Since we have the longer drive - we want to make sure we make it safely - need solids to soak up alcohol.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

Lucassb
Aug. 14, 2001, 08:04 AM
Sounds good...!

You will note that my description of S-dale included the disclaimer about the cost (argh, way HIGH) ... !!!!!!!! And not likely to get anymore reasonable once the indoor is completed, I'm afraid. If it goes up a penny I will have to figure out a different plan... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Would *love* to spend less... but everytime I have tried, you know what the results have been!! My last boarding adventure at a "reasonable" place cost me Chester's soundness for 5 MONTHS... because they were too stupid/lazy to pull off his WINTER TURNOUT blanket when it was 70 degrees outside one day - the difference in the cost of that vs. S-dale was easily eclipsed by the $100s I spent in vet bills...

I would be sooooo up for a reasonably priced barn catering to adults like us. Are you SURE you won't reconsider selling your farm property?!?!

RolexH
Aug. 14, 2001, 11:49 AM
....she is in Chicago on buisness. (my home town) We must conspire with out her. Though, when she gets back I too expect to hear full details: farm hunting, and more!

Ladies: We must keep this thread alive! WE have a month till our big event!!

(FYI: still practicing my art o'consumption I will be in tip top form when the first bottle of vino is opened.)

~~Lisa~~

LMH
Aug. 14, 2001, 02:14 PM
wooohoooooo-count me in!!!! Thanks DMK for the e-mail and tipping me off to this grande soiree!!!

I have been absent as of late-long story with a VERY happy ending. Needless to say I am as of yesterday the PROUD owner of a darling yearling gelding by Omega out of an All the Gold mare...

Going to name him MegaGold to keep both sides of the family happy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (unless of course there is some famous indoors champ with that name-please correct me if I missed that one!). But that is another story, another thread.

Well I am late to this thread but not to the party!!! I will gladly bring several pitchers of my famous Ritas if that would tempt anyone???

So the 16th mid day and following. Super!! That is Sept 16?? Sunday??? we are talking about????

Funfunfun

Life is too short to dance with ugly men

[This message was edited by lmh on Aug. 14, 2001 at 06:20 PM.]

LaurieB
Aug. 14, 2001, 03:26 PM
Is that the yearling that's been for sale on the Warioto site? If so, he's really cute.

Congratulations on the new addition. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lisa
Aug. 14, 2001, 04:57 PM
Lucassb, didn't know you were still there (at S'Dale)... Another friend of ours is searching, sort of, for a different boarding situation. We thought you might be at Robinson now...

lmh, so that's why I haven't heard from you! Congrats on the new addition!! Haven't heard of a MegaGold (of course, that doesn't mean there wasn't one), so go for it while you can!

Isn't it great to be one big happy cyber-family? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (I'm on my second beverage now... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif )

Julie, of course you must come! The more, the merrier, I say...

DMK
Aug. 14, 2001, 07:26 PM
But of course you are welcome to come Julie - besides, one can always have fun, with or without alcohol, when providing color commentary on young 'uns (Southern Comfort, we PROMISE to be good when you are in the ring.. the rest of you juniors better start sucking up now /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

lmh - the new one sounds like fun!

Lucassb
Aug. 14, 2001, 08:05 PM
Yes, Chester has been back at S-dale since March, right after I saw you guys at that PSJ show at Chateau Elan. My brief foray into a "reasonable" boarding situation (Robinson) turned out to be a real bummer ... not too unlike our IYD experience... <grrrrr>... the difference in board was more than made up for in vet bills...

Email me if you want - I know of a potential boarding situation coming available next month in the "reasonable" range. Wouldn't suit everybody, but may be a good situation for the right person.

We have lots to catch up on ... can't wait to catch up with everyone in person.

How's Rachel's cute jumper doing?? And how is the mighty grey horse?

SL

LMH
Aug. 15, 2001, 05:33 AM
Yes-that is the one! For anyone else /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif go to http://www.wariotofarminc.com (http://www.wariotofarm.com) and go to the sales list. He is the 2000 gelding by Omega and out of an All the Gold mare.

I am soooooo proud of the little devil. Today was of the first day of leading in after being out all night. Well as pasture rules would have it, he was the last one to come in-he handled himself like SUCH a gentleman. Just patiently waiting for me at the gait (OK well one huge blood curdling scream but he didn't try to run through the fence!!)

Well I will start putting together his photo album now so I have tons of pictures for the woohaa!!

*Big Grin*

[This message was edited by lmh on Aug. 15, 2001 at 12:15 PM.]

lisa
Aug. 15, 2001, 06:18 AM
OK, I guess we can be good while SouthernComfort is in the ring... Sigh... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to catch up, Lucassb... Can I email you at work (don't have your addy), or should I use the one in your profile?

The boys are fine, for the most part. They're sound, anyway...

Will probably have Big News in the next day or so...

irish horse lover
Aug. 15, 2001, 06:31 AM
Julie
Charis doesn't drink either so not to worry. I guess I'm lucky - I've got designated drivers without having to designate!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Shameless plug here /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Let's not forget about the reasonable boarding situation on150 acres with a huge outdoor ring. A covered ring to be built before winter comes too. Stalls are 12 x14 on rubber mats. Turnout is beyond belief!!

serengeti36
Aug. 15, 2001, 08:08 AM
First off, I would be willing to drive from KY (where I will be living at the time) to Chateau Elan merely to watch the event. (not the finals, but the soiree) I can not believe ringside or hillside was even discussed. Has to be hillside! Shed a tear for Megan who will be at other finals in other places, shed a tear for moi who will be in class! Corgis' are quite obviously the best. Happy (my corgi) deems it so. As far as the rocks go. Dears, crotchet gloves are entirely to subtle. You must cut a hole in the leather gloves and place the hole directly over said rock. Also, rock earring, lovely but not noticable enough. Here's an idea to catch teh judge's eye. Diamond Nosering. Yupper that'll catch the judge. I don't know much about Atlanta barns but if anyone ever needs any info on barns in Charleston, give me a call. Forget a book, I have an entire encyclopedia. I too am picky, hence the SEVEN barns that I have been in. Went so far as to move to my farm and have my boy live at my farm with me. But then I finally found barn 7 (that number does not include my home) which is working out great. Tradgedy that I find this barn after 13 years, sad that now that I've been there less than a year I move to KY. Yes but as a result I am an excellent reference guide. Perhaps I should publish? Hmmm... ladies, remember the nice thing about Chateau Elan is that the hotels are both within walking distance. (which may or may not include some running through the vineyards as an added bonus)
marym /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

~SC~
Aug. 15, 2001, 09:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
OK, I guess we can be good while SouthernComfort is in the ring... Sigh... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be MOST appreciated Lisa! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif IF I even make it around....:D It should be interesting...:)

~Sarah

Lucassb
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:06 AM
Keep rubbing it in about the great boarding situation LOL!!!!

Southern Comfort, recommend you at least DRESS very carefully or this group will certainly have a tough time being nice! (A bad distance we can relate to; right, girls? However, the wrong combination of shirt, jacket etc... unforgiveable!)

Really looking forward to our little gathering... planning the snacks even as we speak. Good thing work is slow today. Any special requests, anyone?

gteq
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:37 AM
If you're still looking for a barn feel free to e-mail me at liznpape@msn.com. I live in Roswell, but drive to Fayetteville to ride. (long drive though) Board is EXTREMELY reasonable. Mostly adults. Plenty of horses to lease and school horses too. Great trainers, worth the drive in my opinion. Good luck in your search! And have fun at the 'regionals party' /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:37 AM
Uh Oh SoCo you had better call up your Van Teal rep and your Grand Prix rep and have them discuss what you should wear. This could be scarring to your career /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
marym

DMK
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:45 AM
no no no... we HAVE to be nice to Southern Comfort... Apparently she saw me ride at Biltmore, and I haven't figured out if she witnessed the "mental meltdown round". /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I know she did witness DMK after she had availed herself of the open bar (more than once /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )at the exhibitor party though...

Since she hasn't spread any tales yet, we MUST be nice!!

Lucassb
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:48 AM
Didn't know the details. Of coursewe will be nice under those circumstances.

Don't you just love those Biltmore exhibitor parties??? Fabulous!!!

serengeti36
Aug. 15, 2001, 10:51 AM
Bruce and Bob know how to throw a party.
marym
P.S. At Biltmore I learned that there is nothing more embarassing than riding in the ring, wearing a shadbelly no less, and eating, I mean munch munch, that was yummy, eating, the first fence.

Hattie
Aug. 15, 2001, 11:12 AM
My friend and neighbor had a wonderful Omega baby that she just sold several months ago. I saw him as a weanling and wanted him, but alas, I didn't need anymore horses...so what better than to have a good friend get him! He was (I'm sure still is) beautiful and so sensible. He is also on Warioto's website in the past sales. Good luck and congratulations!!!

lisa
Aug. 16, 2001, 06:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serengeti36:
Uh Oh SoCo you had better call up your Van Teal rep and your Grand Prix rep and have them discuss what you should wear. This could be scarring to your career /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
marym<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, no! White with navy for the eq... of course, Van Teal does make those yummy white shirts with the navy (or whatever color) piping...

~SC~
Aug. 16, 2001, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by serengeti36:
marym<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I am the Fashion Queen at my barn, so I don't think it will be a problem! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif BUT, in the spirit of the event, I do believe I will be sticking w/ a navy jacket and white shirt! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah

~SC~
Aug. 16, 2001, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
no no no... we HAVE to be nice to Southern Comfort... Apparently she saw me ride at Biltmore, and I haven't figured out if she witnessed the "mental meltdown round". /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I know she did witness DMK after she had availed herself of the open bar (more than once /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )at the exhibitor party though...

Since she hasn't spread any tales yet, we MUST be nice!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My lips are SEALED DMK, no worries! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And no, I didn't see the "mental meltdown round", everything I saw looked very pretty! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I just hope no one saw me in the Juniors the second week, when Miss Capri just KNEW that the inside was a 5, not a 4! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

~Sarah

serengeti36
Aug. 16, 2001, 09:03 AM
ouch i do remember that one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
and you know, I can really get on you for that one because see I have never ever done one of those. Unless of course you count Jacksonville 2000, Jacksonville 2001, Atlanta I and II 2000, etc... Although the Jacksonville 2001 was the best because it was so bad I had to circle out in a combination because i didn't think that we were going to make it.
marym

Rockford
Aug. 16, 2001, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>LOL! I am the Fashion Queen at my barn, so I don't think it will be a problem! BUT, in the spirit of the event, I do believe I will be sticking w/ a navy jacket and white shirt!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just had to share with you my thoughts when I first read your last sentence:

YEA, or Sunny have your head! haha

serengeti36
Aug. 16, 2001, 11:24 AM
Sunny would kill you. Do you remember the Gillys'? I rode with Lindsay but left that barn right after Jessica came.
(the barn in SC, not Sunny's)
marion

irish horse lover
Aug. 16, 2001, 12:16 PM
Just wondering ... where are the Gilly girls? I never rode with them being I'm an adult - but they were always visible on the Georgia circuit. I always enjoy hearing how well Callen Sollem is doing - great to see the local girls doing well!!!

serengeti- Ihope to see you at the regionals - you seem to know quite a few of the locals. You probably could add some color commentary - if you can get a word in with the crew that is showing up!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 16, 2001, 12:25 PM
These are the locals that I have been local with for the last few years /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The Jessica didn't get to show this year because of her grades or so I heard. Then her horse had some sort of injury. Lindsay has been doing the college thing I think.I think she still has her horse but is not riding so much.
My favorite locals were Matthew LeMasters's kids. Leslie, Lisa, and a number of others. They were a riot.
Sadly will not be at the finals. I'll be in KY by then. Doing those shows when I'm in SC is okay budget and time wise, but less budget and timewise okay when in school in KY. But I'll be home for the summers. A summer soiree at the Chateau perhaps? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
marion

LMH
Aug. 16, 2001, 05:45 PM
Just recently "heard" the family has moved back to Ga from Fl. Jessica stayed at school for the summer and Lindsay is getting married after she graduates.

I was the token adult at Sunny's when the girls were juniors and kept up with them often until the family moved.

But from what I have heard both are doing well!! Hopefully we will see them around more now that they have sort of returned when not in school.

DMK
Aug. 16, 2001, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Southern Comfort~
My lips are SEALED DMK, no worries! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See? This is why we are going to cheer like crazy when SoCo goes in the ring /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lisa
Aug. 16, 2001, 06:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ~Southern Comfort~
My lips are SEALED DMK, no worries! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See? This is why we are going to cheer like crazy when SoCo goes in the ring /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I'm sure the decibel level will vary based on the order of go!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DMK
Aug. 16, 2001, 06:21 PM
gee Lisa, are you implying that we could be a tad noisy if she went late in the order of go and we were like, say, "tanked"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 17, 2001, 09:41 AM
Goodness no. I am sure that that is not what she was implying. My parents went out of town one weekend last year and Lindsay "stayed" with me. "stay" in "" because she went out and didn't come back. She had a first date and stayed. I wonder if that's the guy?
marion

lisa
Aug. 17, 2001, 09:51 AM
gee Lisa, are you implying that we could be a tad noisy if she went late in the order of go and we were like, say, "tanked"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm totally shocked that you would infer from my comment that we would be imbibing to that extent at such an important event! sniff...

(Of course that's what I meant!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )

Lucassb
Aug. 17, 2001, 09:59 AM
I may bring my video camera, thus insuring that whenever *I* go in to the ring in the future, there will be nothing but applause, whoops, and atta girls...

SoCo, I can just see your cheering section now...

DMK
Aug. 17, 2001, 10:53 AM
OK, everyone - it's obvious that lisa is turning over a whole new leaf and wants to be "frugal" in her approach to imbibing... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Note to self: Limit lisa to virgin margaritas /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

We will be strong, girls! Even if she begs! And lord knows that girl can beg for her beer /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 17, 2001, 11:35 AM
Could I have a copy of this video? Should be entertaining. Now we all know that there is nowhere better to party than the Chateau.(where else can you run through the vineyards afterwards?)(I swear I've never done that /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif )
marion

lisa
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:05 PM
Uhhhh.... what's a virgin margarita? I thought you were supposed to put liquor in everything you drink? No? (hiccup)

Have cooler, will travel... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Note to self: buy the one on wheels this time.

irish horse lover
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:12 PM
It seems to me that after this event - we all might have to join Ben Affleck in rehab to sober up!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I, however, will be on my usual good behavior!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lisa
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irish horse lover:
I, however, will be on my usual good behavior!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't you have said "usual behavior" instead? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I promise -- I'll be good: good and ummm, happy!

And, besides, what would be bad about joining Ben Affleck in just about anything ? Yum-my!!

Charis
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:26 PM
Having just returned from the Pony Finals, imagine my surprise /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif to find this thread still going strong!!!

Hmmm...it gladdens my heart to see that this group is truly a die-hard party crowd!!

I will gladly be a designated driver, but it appears that we made need to organize an entire comittee to assure that everyone makes it home sans DUI!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:28 PM
Those of us on the north side of town are all set now that lisa has changed her ways /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

LaurieB
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:31 PM
I do declare I had no idea I was going to be consorting with such a rowdy bunch.

Thank the Lord and pass the pitcher! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Charis
Aug. 17, 2001, 12:53 PM
FYI re the Pony Finals:
Although Orchard Hill Whether or Not popped an abcess and couldn't show..Sunny Stevens was kind enough to let Sabra borrow a pony for the medal!
Sabra rode SO well, esp. since she had never shown this pony before!

On a much happier note, Keri Guanciale was reserve small pony champ!! Keri is daughter of my former trainer Ben. Ben now heads the Potomac Horse Center. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 17, 2001, 01:03 PM
We may want to have one of the designated drivers pick up copies of the results for us, so that we don't have to log on here the next day admitting we don't know who *won.* Or what the test was.

<sigh> The hors d'oeuvres may be a complete waste of time. Maybe I'll just bring chips and pretzels.

irish horse lover
Aug. 17, 2001, 01:11 PM
Laurie B- maybe in our drunken stupor- we can come up with a plot for a new book for you. FYI- I've read 2 and really enjoyed them.

Are we going to have any "vittles" or is this going to be strictly liquid? I think some people mentioned bringing dips - but I might have to bring something more substantial - otherwise - I'll never make it home.

Dementia 13
Aug. 17, 2001, 01:17 PM
Charis - Ben is so nice! I met him the other week at the Columbia horse show. My friend trains with him. Keri is quite a good rider.

~SC~
Aug. 17, 2001, 02:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irish horse lover:
Just wondering ... where are the Gilly girls? I never rode with them being I'm an adult - but they were always visible on the Georgia circuit. I always enjoy hearing how well Callen Sollem is doing - great to see the local girls doing well!!!

[<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think both Gilly girls are at the College of Charleston, one of them might have graduated. Everyone loved them! And Callen is soo nice!! They were all at Sunny's when she had like 6 or 7 6'+ blonde girls! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

~SC~
Aug. 17, 2001, 03:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charis:
FYI re the Pony Finals:
Although Orchard Hill Whether or Not popped an abcess and couldn't show..Sunny Stevens was kind enough to let Sabra borrow a pony for the medal!
Sabra rode SO well, esp. since she had never shown this pony before!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no! Poor Sabes!! Who did she ride?? I bet it was one of Darcy's ponies, probably Sailor! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah

Lucassb
Aug. 17, 2001, 07:35 PM
Not to worry, we will have snacks as well as drinks. Otherwise it could be a rather challenging drive home for us!!!

serengeti36
Aug. 17, 2001, 07:56 PM
I'm so glad that sabes got a ride! taht was so kind of Sunny. Neither Gilly has graduated. One is a sophmore this year and the other will be a senior. Lindsay being the senior.
marion
p.s. i don't think they ride much anymore

LMH
Aug. 18, 2001, 05:47 AM
Can we just get a bus to pick us up and return us to our appropriate farms/homes??? Then we could start the party on the bus....or we could have a pre-party brunch then get on the bus then go to Chateau.

ORRRRRR we could start Saturday night at the Coronet Club, wonder down to midtown, dance on the speakers at Backstreet, eat at waffle house or Krystal, take the designated bus to MY farm where we listen to/sing along with Rick Springfield (ooo ooo Jesse's Girl) until dawn THEN have the pre-party brunch follwoed my the bus party to the Chateau party....

Can anyone tell I was Social Chairman of my sorority????

lisa
Aug. 18, 2001, 07:10 AM
What we could do is meet somewhere before, have brunch, and then drive up together.

And since lmh has volunteered her humble abode... /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Or, we could do the Coronet Club suggestion. Then it wouldn't matter where SoCo is in the order... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

~SC~
Aug. 18, 2001, 08:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JulieMontgomery:
Is that you Leah? Were we at Pleasant Hill together way back when?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about Karen Kerby's Pleasant Hill?? I rode there for about a year, and I live right next door! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Let me tell ya, all you adults are FABULOUS role models for me! hehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I wanna be just like DMK when I grow up! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

LMH
Aug. 18, 2001, 09:48 AM
Yes it is I-Leah-the one and the same from Pleasant Hill. How are you doing? I am sure we could spend pages catching up!! I hope all is well with you.

As far as the meet and greet prior to Chateau I think it would be a great plan!! I would certainly offer my place-although it may be inconvenient for some-nonetheless the offer stands. Or we could meet as lisa suggested-even someplace like AlphaSoda???

Oh the funfunfun of a gathering!!!

~SC~
Aug. 18, 2001, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lmh:
Or we could meet as lisa suggested-even someplace like AlphaSoda???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, when we were building our house 4 years ago my mom made us eat there like very freakin day! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I was soo sick of it! But it is good food! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Sarah

lisa
Aug. 19, 2001, 05:57 PM
(whine)But if we meet at AlphaSoda, what about the screwdrivers? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LaurieB
Aug. 19, 2001, 06:05 PM
Laurie B- maybe in our drunken stupor- we can come up with a plot for a new book for you. FYI- I've read 2 and really enjoyed them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Irish Horse Lover! After writing nine in the series, I could use a little plot inspiration. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

LMH
Aug. 19, 2001, 06:34 PM
ok ok ok so Alphasoda just popped into of my head. I still hold the offer of my farm-if all are willing to travel. If not, where can we get screwdrivers anywhere on Sunday??? Perhaps a flask and several trips to the "ladies" room???

[This message was edited by lmh on Aug. 20, 2001 at 08:18 AM.]

DMK
Aug. 20, 2001, 06:50 AM
no screwdrivers anywhere before 12 right? I mean this is ... sigh ... Georgia...

Uh, Laurie... are you SURE you want to use a plot concocted by this group?

I mean I can envision something vaguely like Jody Jaffee meets William Faulkner, and takes a turn on the dance floor with Stephen King. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

irish horse lover
Aug. 20, 2001, 06:55 AM
Have we scared EqChick away before she even got to meet us face to face? Just curious - afterall it was her post that prompted this big Shin-Dig!! Come out EqChick - wherever you are!!!

Charis
Aug. 20, 2001, 09:44 AM
IHL...maybe EqChic has a life! I know I DON'T! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EqChick
Aug. 20, 2001, 10:42 AM
Hello, all.

I can't believe this thread has lasted this long. I go away for a few days and there's SEVEN pages! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I have not even had time to sit down and read through them yet.

I have begun my search, but let me finish work today, go home and read the rest of this thread and will fill you all in then. Come back for a visit around 10:00 PM EST.

See you there! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 20, 2001, 11:49 AM
Not a problem guys, if you all want to meet in Alpharetta and have a cocktail or two (plus snacks of course) you are all welcome to meet at my house!! <Warning though, you have to share with the greyhounds; they like snacks>

I am only minutes from Atlanta Saddlery and Wills Park...

Welcome back, EqChick... thought perhaps we had frightened you away!!

serengeti36
Aug. 20, 2001, 02:52 PM
Speaking of Atlanta Saddlery. Does anyone know if Martha Mallicote still works there. She rode with Hunter's Glen a few years back, then she moved to Charleston where we were friends for a while, then she graduated and moved back home and I lost track of her. Was just kind of missing here adn wanted to talk to her...
marion

EqChick
Aug. 20, 2001, 03:24 PM
Actually, Serengeti, I think she is there. I went to Atlanta Saddlery this weekend to get some trainers' numbers and I met her (I think). You should try calling!

>>REPORT<<

Okay, ladies, I have started my quest. I drove to the tack store to get numbers and visited two barns Sunday. I really don't want to upset a moderator, but it's okay to say good things, right?

Umm, someone let me know before I get our wonderful thread locked. I can say I found one potential great and still have a few I want to go see. I guess the Atlanta trainer world isn't so bad after all.

-that is, after I swallowed the Long Drive pill, on sunday afternoon it took me half an hour to get home and there was no traffic! there must be a remedy!-

Ahah! Another topic to keep our thread alive, what do you guys DO while sitting in the car so long on the way to the barn? I think I need to develop some Equestrian-Focused Inspirational and Confidence Nuilding Lessons on tape. If it's a hit, maybe I could finance ALL my riding aspirations. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Will you guys help me promote?

CTM
Aug. 20, 2001, 03:59 PM
Serengeti,

Martha Mallicote still works occasionally at Atl . Saddlery, but she has gone back to school (here in Atl) to work toward a veterinarian degree. She works full time at the rock climbing place in Atl, takes college classes, just bought a new horse ( at Hunters Glen ), competes new horse in local shows (jumper classes), assists with dog rescue, and who knows what else!!

I board w/ Martha and have known her since before Coll of Charleston. E-mail me and I will pass a message along to her!

DMK
Aug. 20, 2001, 06:06 PM
Eqchick, you won't get a lot of driving sympathy from me... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As a person who lives OTP (Alpharetta) and works ITP (Vinings), I got no sympathy left... it was killed in a spurt of road rage /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

May I suggest an incredibly good selection of audiobooks, CDs and good old NPR?

Charis
Aug. 21, 2001, 06:02 AM
MY SOLUTION FOR UMPTEEN HOURS BEHIND THE WHEEL:
1. Purchase small parcel of pasture land

2. Change jobs

3. Build home with barn IN YOUR BACKYARD!

It worked for me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

lisa
Aug. 21, 2001, 06:33 AM
I knew you wouldn't lurk for long!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EqChick, we're (at least I'm) dying to know where you visited on Sunday... And I'm in DMK's camp... and Irish's... we all drive waaaayyyy too much. A half-hour drive? Don't I wish!

Plus, I'm about to start driving even further!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif It's a huge pain, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Since Lucassb lives close to AlphaSoda, maybe we should do that? I wouldn't mind going to lmh's, either, but it is further west.

And DMK, if you live by the "no booze before 12" because you live in GA, just what other "laws" do you adhere to? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Besides, my motto is: It's noon somewhere. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

DMK
Aug. 21, 2001, 06:39 AM
Oh, I don't live by that law, but places that sell prepared food seem to... You see my problem, right?

On one hand alcohol goes a long way to making my cooking palatable, on the other hand it is nice to occassionally sample food that "stands on it's own merit," so to speak /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Whats this I hear about more driving? Are we going to buy the pooch another bionic knee?

irish horse lover
Aug. 21, 2001, 07:12 AM
During my 1 hour drive to the barn (in Cartersville) after work (in Buckhead), I work on my tan while driving my Mustang convertible. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif After awhile, it just becomes second nature to sit in traffic. I have learned which lanes move faster than others at specific places on 75. The key is though, if you are at a barn that meets all your requirements, the drive is worth it. I do only have that terrible drive 1 way - going home to Dunwoody after riding only takes 35 minutes. I am waiting though to get my first speeding ticket - since I usually do 80 coming home. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

irish horse lover
Aug. 21, 2001, 07:16 AM
EqChick- where did you visit? Just list the names -you can then e-mail me with the dirt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 21, 2001, 07:47 AM
Argh, as another commuter from ITP (Roswell addy, but really Alpharetta) to the mecca of traffic h*ll everday at Windy Hill and 75, I can relate.

I second the suggestions for audio books and NPR, and recently installed a CD changer in the car... <sigh> but my cel phone bills are off the wall. That's how I cope!!

EqChick, we ALL need emails with your findings so far; better do a group report!!!!!!

And LISA, I'm with you - it is *always* 12:00 somewhere /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Is the "big news" official yet?? Email me!!

EqChick
Aug. 21, 2001, 08:20 AM
I have discovered the secret from the other forum, everyone my first best friend is PREGNANT!!! If any of you converse with RolexH, congratulations are in order! She won't be able to partake at Regionals, but she is an amazing mixer and now we (I /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) have a DD!

As far as my search goes, I went to Atl Sadd. and talked to Kitty who gave me some great advice- Irish, Lucas, and others who wrote me- she pretty much backed y'all up. I went from there to Claudia McQuillen's farm- very pretty- to Kirk Kamish's new place- new and he wants to do a lot of work, but very functional and all the right stuff is there (ie. shavings, good hay, clean water buckets, healthy animals).

I don't think I'm going to be aching to find a nice place, they are out there, it's going to be diciding. Luckily, I've found some of the big names don't really have room for clients like me (see- the rock will make all the difference!) so that will narrow it down a bit. Also, as in most circles, reputations abound so I'm going to skip quite a few. There are three I'm going to see this weekend, and I think I might lesson with Kirk for a try.

I told him I heard about him from an unnamed source on COTH BB, so if you're here- welcome! You can ask RolexH how long it has been since I've had a lesson, almost the same as since I've been ON a horse, so you HAVE to be nice when I come out next. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (Know that there are moderators of this website, so no making fun of me once I'm gone either /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have to go back to work now, ladies, if I do get on this week, be sure you'll get an update from a woman in pain.

One last thing about the driving, I'm not so much worried about time in the car, but what time of day it is when I get to the barn. Most trainers don't like to lesson later than 6 and that is pushing it for me. What do you guys do?

lisa
Aug. 21, 2001, 08:37 AM
Uggh! My hubby almost burst a vein last night when he looked at my cell phone bill! So I have to decrease my yakking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I also really need to find a JOB. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

It is official. We're moving Thursday. SouthernComfort, there will be three more pretty heads to see every day!!

DMK, no, actually he's doing pretty darn good without the other knee done. He's climbing the stairs now. Yaaa!!!

EqChick, as far as lessons after 6 goes, yes, it can be a problem, but we're only talking once a week, right? Maybe things can be worked out so you can leave a bit early every other week, and the trainer can stay late every other week. Of course, I don't know what your occupation is and if leaving early is an option.

irish horse lover
Aug. 21, 2001, 08:43 AM
EqChick- Kirk does great lessons. I took several from him about 1 year ago. Things got too complicated that I had to stop. Now that I am at my own barn - I would love to start some lessons again. I didn't know that he had lesson horses. It does get difficult getting lessons during the week - especially if they don't have ring lites. I also had a hard time after getting stuck in some traffic - I was sometimes too tense to ride. But you do what you have to do when it comes to riding.

gteq
Aug. 21, 2001, 09:06 AM
My saving grace for the long commute is LOTS of cell phone minutes! Oh, and as far as late lessons - there are quite a few of us our barn that have lessons whenever we can get down there - there are even groups on Wednesdays at 7:30 pm - they are very accomodating. Good luck in your search!

sadie1
Aug. 21, 2001, 09:22 AM
Right now I trailer in on weekends to Claudia's when I can catch her in town and when my schedule permits. When I boarded in her barn, before I moved further away there were other working adults with the same time problems. We solved it by having a "late lesson night" to get us all in and only make her have to stay late once. You might want to try that suggestion wherever you end up. It worked well for us then and it was nice to have mostly adults at the barn for a while.

EqChick
Aug. 21, 2001, 09:26 AM
Yeah, Lucassb, I watched Kirk school a greenie while I was there and I really liked how slow and deliberate his training methods were. He warned me himself he can be tough on riders sometimes, but he'll listen if I tell him to let up. (honesty in a trainer- we're in the twighlight zone /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )He doesn't really have a string of school horses, it seemed like he's got some in the buy/sell channel that he'd be willing to let me lesson on... fuzzy on details, but there is definitley something to be worked out.

Got to run, will get back later.

~SC~
Aug. 21, 2001, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
It is official. We're moving Thursday. SouthernComfort, there will be three more pretty heads to see every day!!

DMK, no, actually he's doing pretty darn good without the other knee done. He's climbing the stairs now. Yaaa!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEAH! We've gotten lots of new people lately! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm moving Miss Capri home in the next couple of weeks, but first we need to buy a truck and trailer and get some jumps for the ring! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'm stalling as long as possible...:rolleyes:

~Sarah

~SC~
Aug. 21, 2001, 11:55 AM
I HATE TRAFFIC. There, I said it! LOL It takes me a freakin HOUR to get to school every day! UGH! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif With no traffic it's like 15-20 min (Well, that depends if I'm driving or my mom! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )I get on 400 at exit 9 and get off at Glenridge. It's ridiculous. Almost all of my friends live in Dunwoody or Buckhead, so I'm constantly driving in, and I go through gas like crazy. It also doesn't help that the barn is 22 miles from my house /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. BUT, I only have one more year left before college, thank goodness!

~Sarah

serengeti36
Aug. 22, 2001, 07:20 AM
Okay so my barn is 29 miles from my house, my farm is 51 miles from my house in the OPPOSITE direction. I drive an F-250 which gets a whopping 11.6 miles to teh gallon. I have put 28000 miles on it since October when I got it. I am always in the car, always...
marion

RolexH
Aug. 22, 2001, 11:47 AM
Eqchick: PUUULLLLEEZEEEE although I may not drink I will be high on life (and prenate Rx.) But of course you have a DD in me. After all I am sure it is payback time. You have been the "responsible one" long enough. I am still planning on coming up there. I hope I can maybe see the lead line babies go though, I gotta scope out the competition!! Maybe offer to get some hand-me-downs.

Can't wait to see everyone and meet for the first time. This will be so much fun!

~~Lisa~~

Charis
Aug. 23, 2001, 08:24 AM
Has a concensus been agreed upon (working with lawyers all the time is getting to me!) as to WHERE this group will meet prior to the Regionals get-together?

It looks like I will be bringing the NW contingent as DD, where and what is Alpha Soda??

Are or we meeting at someone's barn?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I will come bearing quac and chips, maybe brownies for the chocoholics. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

EqChick
Aug. 23, 2001, 02:47 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Irish Horse Lover, I know it is you that took the lessons with Kirk, but I kept referring to Lucassb on here. SORRY!! I know both of your real names and trying to keep two new friends straight with two new COTH identities is confusing sometimes!! I hope both of you can find it in you to forgive me.

Besides, you should all pity me and my poor legs. You know, this sport should have one of those surgeon general warnings:

**WARNING: If over the age of 20, participating in this activity may prohibit the use of stairs, chairs, toilets, or anything else requiring the regular agility of legs.**

I think my lesson was okay- trainer was fine, the problem was me -NEVER the case before! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif After 15 min. on the flat and a few lines, I could barely post. I died when trainer says "I think that's good for today, why don't you school some before the next lesson to work on getting your balance back a little bit, and then we can move forward some." That's trainer code for "I'm never going to stop riding, or I might look like THAT one day." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, leaving work now and off to the hot tub. I hope all of you are well and getting ready for the Par-Tay. I say, let's just pick that place in the post before this. Someone give directions and a time.

Should we meet for lunch there, just park and come back for dinner afterwards? Just meet and follow from there? Someone post an idea and we'll all try to make it work. Sound good?

lisa
Aug. 23, 2001, 04:14 PM
Although I really don't have a specific preference for where we meet, meeting at someone's house has its advantages... maybe a bit more low-key?

As far as dinner afterward, the Chateau has a couple of nice restaurants... I'm a Paddy's fan, myself, but the winery is good, too...

Well, we make the move tomorrow! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

irish horse lover
Aug. 24, 2001, 06:59 AM
EqChick- apology accepted. Believe me - I've been called alot worse than someone else's name. And probably with just cause. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Was the lesson with Kirk? He does have a good sense of humor - believe me - I've put it to the test.

I vote for meeting at the show - coming from the NW side - it would be too time consuming to go to Alpharetta and then to the Chateau. And I also know that some of you can easily get side-tracked and might not make it to the show. We can have a barn tour one weekend and everyone visit each others facility. Now doesn't that sound like fun!!

DMK
Aug. 24, 2001, 12:29 PM
yeah, ihl, but being called "lucassb"?!?!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Wow, that was pretty low, don't you think? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OK, the Alpharetta crew is probably going to stone me (led by lucassb /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), but I'm for meeting at CE too. I have some horses to ride on Sunday, and I am QUITE sure I'm not going to be able to ride AFTER our little outing, you understand? I'll be too busy trying to be a role model for Southern Comfort, and other juniors who need guidance... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 24, 2001, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking I better copyright that Lucassb tradename if it is going to be thrown around so, so, so ... carelessly!! THAT is going to cost somebody, DMK, a bottle of something ... maybe a nice Merlot??

<LOL, I have taken lessons from KK also, so technically there is NO need to apologize!!

And believe it or not, I have to ride beforehand too - so not a problem to meet at CE. Didn't we say around 12:30 at ringside?

The drive home after all the festivities, well, that is going to be another matter ... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

serengeti36
Aug. 24, 2001, 12:56 PM
It is my feeling that you all are focusing entirely too much on the riding. The bottle count is entirely more important. Us juniors needing guidance, I think not... (so sad, only a few more months as junior) Focus on the soiree girls, the soiree... (j/k) this is entirely too much fun. I shall have to go rest now...
marion

LMH
Aug. 25, 2001, 02:06 PM
Perhaps the OPTIONAL pre-party party would be best?? For those that want to gather and/ or ride together then super-and those that want to (hahahahaha) ride then we catch ya at the CE??

We can just pick a place and time and if you are there super-if not ok as well???

~SC~
Aug. 25, 2001, 06:20 PM
I met LMH today, and Zack! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I feel so special! I was talking to her for awhile before Lisa was like "Do you know eachother? YES you do!" LOL She was telling us all some extremely entertaining stories! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

~Sarah

LMH
Aug. 26, 2001, 10:11 AM
Southern Comfort, my dear, it was lovely meeting you as well!! I am so glad I could provide some entertainment in the midst of outside, inside, outside, inside...

Poor little Zack was so pooped when we got home. He slept for HOURS!!

lisa
Aug. 27, 2001, 05:33 AM
Fun was had by all this past weekend...

I just thought of something -- thanks, DMK! I will need to ride that morning also, and since we have changed venues, it will be out of the way for me if we meet somewhere south...

So lmh has a good idea -- some can meet early, some may just meet at ringside.

Charis
Aug. 27, 2001, 08:02 AM
Should we wear our COTH caps or come incognito??

Or better yet have big signs pinned to our shirts (like kindergardeners on a field trip), "IF FOUND PASSED OUT, PLEASE NOTIFY.....". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DMK
Aug. 27, 2001, 08:54 AM
Charis, perhaps we should start out in COTH hats, and then as soon as we become a "public nuisance" lose all forms of identification except your aforementioned sign /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 27, 2001, 10:24 AM
of the "If found passed out, please return to the COTH" stickers!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

However, it sounds like a great idea to me.

COTH caps it is!!

Charis
Aug. 30, 2001, 08:56 AM
Why the sudden silence? Is everyone getting ready for Stacy Boe or just up to their eyebrows in work? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lucassb
Aug. 30, 2001, 05:15 PM
and is consequently at home, passed out and unable to use the computer.

DMK
Aug. 30, 2001, 05:49 PM
Feel better? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You will of course, be back in GA in time for Regionals, right?

Besides, as much as I love SFL (lived in Broward for almmost 20 years, family still there), WHY be there in August or September???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Charis
Aug. 30, 2001, 05:53 PM
LOL!!!

Julie!!! Puhleeze refrain from the pity party...INDEED...I myself have called you several times this week and left a message for you!!! I e-mailed you as well on Mon and the AOL person sent it back as "fatal address" /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

So glad to know that you are not dead but in FLA, although at this time of year that could be one in the same. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitty
Sep. 10, 2001, 02:26 PM
Hi, my daughter's a new Emory student this year, looking for h/j barns in the area. She's heard of a barn named Highland Farm, trainer's name is Kirk. Anyone know of this place and whether it's fairly close to Emory. She may need to rely on public transportation and/or friends' driving her there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all in the Maclay Regionals this coming weekend!!

serengeti36
Sep. 10, 2001, 03:30 PM
I don't know exactly where the barn is but I have met Kirk Kamish (probably butchered the last name) a couple of times and he is really nice.
marion

bayview
Sep. 10, 2001, 06:15 PM
Kirk is great. He is the nicest guy. If I'm thinking of the right place, it's about 20 miles.

lisa
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:07 AM
Kirk's farm name is Highland Farm, but up until recently he didn't have an actual "farm". He has since leased a farm in north Fulton co., just south of the Cherokee co. line on Wilkie Rd. As far as I know, he lives in Atlanta (has a 404 number). There's no public transportation up that way, btw. Irish or EqChick can tell you more...

Girls, girls, the time is near... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Shouldn't we be firming up our plans?

irish horse lover
Sep. 12, 2001, 07:22 AM
I can honestly recommend riding with Kirk. He does not have "lesson horses" but might allow people to ride his sale horses - not sure though. There is definitely no public transportation to that area.