PDA

View Full Version : 100 acre NICE horse farm near Pittsburg, PA - $720K

Sonesta
May. 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Wow! I don't know why I keep getting these messages about great deals on horse property as I am NOT in the market, but this one should be shared:

http://horsedigests.com/1emails/esl-real-estate.html

HoofaSchmigetty
May. 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Only 1 problem.....It's near Pittsburgh!!! Ever been there? EWWWWWWWW...

JB
May. 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
But if I could afford to buy that place, I'd have to also be able to afford to pay someone to help keep it up, and that would mean I'd also be able to afford someone to bring me necessities so I didn't have to go near Pitts! LOL

Florida Fan
May. 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
Only 1 problem.....It's near Pittsburgh!!! Ever been there? EWWWWWWWW...

mega dittoes!!!

vineyridge
May. 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
I loved living in Pittsburgh and environs. It's got all the city amenities, it's very scenic, and the people were very hospitable, especially when compared to Philadelphia. It and the rest of SW Pennsylvania have quite a lot to offer.

saje
May. 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
I'd move back to the Pittsburgh area in a heartbeat.

Appsolute
May. 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am a west coaster, who has spent time in Pittsburg... and in other small towns in western PA. A little cold for me in the winter, a little hot and humid in the summer, but I didn't think it was a terrible place. And that farm looks lovely.

Now if that farm was in Bakersfield or Modesto etc (CA) I would be running for the hills. But I do not think Pittsburg is half bad.

muffintop
May. 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
It might be just me, but the descriptions (under the pictures) sound so....ummm...dumb. If that were my property, i would like for the realtor to at least SOUND like they know a little about horse "facilities". Especially when it's at that price point. Then again though, it might just be me! I would love ot live there. We have family in Western PA and we've always enjoyed our visits there.

shakeytails
May. 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Cute place! The owner sure did like loud wallpaper...

awaywego
May. 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
I boarded all over the place in PittsburgH

There is a LOT to like about the city. I just did not particularly enjoy the horse community there.... I think there's a lot of western going on out in western PA.

mvp
May. 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
I am a west coaster, who has spent time in Pittsburg... and in other small towns in western PA. A little cold for me in the winter, a little hot and humid in the summer, but I didn't think it was a terrible place. And that farm looks lovely.

Now if that farm was in Bakersfield or Modesto etc (CA) I would be running for the hills. But I do not think Pittsburg is half bad.

Ditto-- from the NorCal-er who has Seen How It Is Done in sections of the East Coast where land is affordable and water exists.

BoyleHeightsKid
May. 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
Ack! I HATE wallpaper!!!!!!! But I could deal with the rest of the place and it is 45 minutes away from the 'Burgh. I'm a SW PA'er but don't like any city anywhere. I'm a country girl and anti-social :lol:

sketcher
May. 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
I just want to know how they are heating with free gas!

BarbaricYawp
May. 30, 2012, 05:14 PM
Just make sure you check out the property taxes before you commit -- I had family in Alleghany County and the taxes were OUTRAGEOUS.

tazz001
May. 30, 2012, 10:00 PM

Marcellus shale. They are in a gas producing unit and well is probably on the farm. It should come with mineral/gas rights and a royalty check too!

If not...run fast, run far!

Schatzi09
May. 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm from SW PA as well and think the place is worth looking into. It's NOT in Allegheny County so taxes should be okay - as far as taxes can be okay anyway!

Make sure to check the fine print on any mineral/gas rights contracts. Probably worth having an attorney look it over as well! The potential for being royally screwed is all over in those contracts!

TB7
May. 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
LOL. I'm just biased against most of PA in general. But man, that house is pretty tiny. 2 BR. Lots of renovating to be done - but according to the ad, it already was? Like 20 years ago? Nice farm though. Ideal for what I'd want for my horses. I'd only have about 10-12 stalls though. No need for that many more.

horsetales
May. 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Marcellus shale. They are in a gas producing unit and well is probably on the farm. It should come with mineral/gas rights and a royalty check too!

If not...run fast, run far!

I'm sure its like when I lived in OK, the mineral rights do not convey, so the old owners are still getting that, All you get is the free gas. Better check the water - some of those places have been on Environmental videos - you can light the water

Lori T
Jun. 2, 2012, 07:45 PM
My family is from McMurray and Peters Township. We still have a steel mill there and I grew up on my family's farm there. That place is beautiful and I would buy it and move back there in a minute! They don't have farms with that kind of character in Central Florida.

ex-racer owner
Jun. 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
Not sure what's going on with all the hate for Pittsburgh. We are very friendly people, have access to fantastic universities and hospitals, and, in very recent times, have been awarded several major accolades with regard to the city being liveable, beautiful, etc. We've got four great seasons and a fabulous natural environment. In addition to our sports teams, we also have some great museums and cultural district.

Oohhhh, I get it. You must all be from Cleveland! EEWWW!!!

Really though, the farm itself looks great to me. Quite like something I'd want if I won the lottery. Yes, I agree, in this day and age of "upgrades" and "en suites", maybe the house isn't up to some people's standards, but nothing about it says "not fit for human inhabitance". Its a nice old house. People used to like wall paper, so what? If you buy it and don't like wall paper, tear it down.

Thank you for sharing this, Sonesta.

Calamber
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:46 PM

Many places in that area and parts of West Virginia come with a natural gas well.

Calamber
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
Not sure what's going on with all the hate for Pittsburgh. We are very friendly people, have access to fantastic universities and hospitals, and, in very recent times, have been awarded several major accolades with regard to the city being liveable, beautiful, etc. We've got four great seasons and a fabulous natural environment. In addition to our sports teams, we also have some great museums and cultural district.

Oohhhh, I get it. You must all be from Cleveland! EEWWW!!!

Really though, the farm itself looks great to me. Quite like something I'd want if I won the lottery. Yes, I agree, in this day and age of "upgrades" and "en suites", maybe the house isn't up to some people's standards, but nothing about it says "not fit for human inhabitance". Its a nice old house. People used to like wall paper, so what? If you buy it and don't like wall paper, tear it down.

Thank you for sharing this, Sonesta.

I think it has to do with those "dirty old industries" and even worse, those crass older workers who actually used to do something productive for a living and now cannot at all compete with the new information age money where people become bazillionairs just punching buttons, so probably are all crabby and dirty. Oh the horror!

CDE Driver
Jun. 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
Um.... in the first few moments of the video they misspelled "pristine". I quit watching after that. Nice realtor they have.

Monokeros
Jun. 3, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'm from WV near Pittsburgh, and I'd snap that place up in a heartbeat! If only...

Lori T
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm from WV near Pittsburgh, and I'd snap that place up in a heartbeat! If only...

Where in WV? I was born in Wheeling and grew up in Cameron, before moving to McMurray!

Guilherme
Jun. 3, 2012, 10:39 PM
Nice looking facility. The price seems very fair. Of course to put the place in context you need to know about the local horse scene (if you're planning to board, train, etc.). If you just want a personal estate then the only question is can you afford the mortgage and the upkeep. :D

G.

Monokeros
Jun. 4, 2012, 09:06 AM
Where in WV? I was born in Wheeling and grew up in Cameron, before moving to McMurray!

That is so cool! I'm from Wheeling. I moved to Columbus for school and think I'm going to stay here. There are more horse-y opportunities.

Rocky
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:39 PM
I am a Central PA transplant to Pittsbugh, yes it has an "h"... via Philly, Houston TX and Orange Co, Calif.

I have actually seen this property, as I am in the market for a facility.

The barn/farm is totally is beautiful. The house is not structurally sound, and will need to be completely re-wired, and re-plumbed. And if I recall correctly, there are sewage and water issues as well. Sadly, in it's current state of repair, no mortgage lender is going to finance it....So that lottery thing is the only way...lol

The other drawback is that it is in the BF Egypt, just north of no where-ville.

Too far out to expect the "city folk" to board and train there....but the area is beautiful, and the stables are very nice.

If I wanted a private place for my horses and I to hang out, I would be on it...but, anything we purchase has to have at least a snowball's chance of producing some cash flow from lessons, training and horse showing (we all know boarding is a financial wash-right?...lol)

I am currently leasing a facility that isn't nearly as nice, but it is literally 1/4 mile from a major interstate, and 45 minutes from the City of PGH, 30 min from Wash PA and 40 minutes from Greensburg...location location location

And the search goes on...

vineyridge
Jun. 6, 2012, 01:44 PM
My family is from McMurray and Peters Township. We still have a steel mill there and I grew up on my family's farm there. That place is beautiful and I would buy it and move back there in a minute! They don't have farms with that kind of character in Central Florida.

that's exactly where I lived when I lived in the Pittsburgh suburbs. Loved it. Loved everything about it. Some of the best years of my whole life!

Belmont
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:32 PM
-wipes drool off face-

SimpleSimon
Jun. 6, 2012, 04:38 PM
Um.... in the first few moments of the video they misspelled "pristine". I quit watching after that. Nice realtor they have.

I wish I had stopped watching then. It is a lovely, lovely piece of property. But the motion sickness I got from watching the video wasn't worth it.

Ugh.

alternate_universe
Jun. 9, 2012, 12:59 AM
It surprises me that folks think PGH is still a filthy place. Puh-leese! Get with the program! That steel factories are long gone and I promise the downtown area is no longer filled with smog! My clothes retain thier proper color when I walk around down there. lol Pittsburgh has a lovely art scene, great museums, and world renowned zoo, and some great schools. We are also becoming a very popular place to film major movies. This summer's Batman installment was filmed here, as was Abduction, Adventureland, and the upcoming Perks of Being a Wallflower movie. A Matt Damon film was also being worked on east of the city.

Granted, there aren't many nationally sanctioned shows in the immediate area and it's hard to find trainers that can coach to the upper levels of the English disciplines (particularly dressage... it's almost a wasteland), but there are a lot of nice boarding places and many shows are right over in Ohio or to the east of the state.