PDA

View Full Version : Snakes

muffintop
May. 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
we have a garter (i think, but i know nothing about snakes) snake living right by my front door. Almost stepped on the stupid thing yesterday. He needs to be gone but i am not about to kill it. Honestly, i'm afraid of it and it think it's rude to kill it. Is there any way to get rid of the thing? I don't want my dogs to get it either. :confused: Thanks

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Why does it need to leave? They are completely harmless!

quarterhorse4me
May. 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
Completely harmless but most of us can at least understand that snakes make some people uncomfortable. Just put on leather gloves and relocate him to another area or have someone do it for you.

We had a corn snake named Gerald that I tried to let live in my barn but he would pop up is places unexpectedly and it bothered my daughter so we relocated him to a friends barn.

Nezzy
May. 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
he is there bc of food. i bet you have mice near the area. If he leaves another will come unless the mice are gone. Sorry. I like snakes but they do tend to startle me

cowgirljenn
May. 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
If you aren't comfortable picking him up with gloved hands, you can use a metal rake or a pitchfork to pick him up, transfer him to a bucket, and relocate him elsewhere.

I don't see well, so snakes can be a bit of a hazard - I'm also borderline phobic and nearly had a meltdown when I accidentally picked one up (luckily wearing gloves). DH does relocate them across the road and into a nice field for me. I realize they may come back, but that's the best I can do.

I used to want them all killed, but that's really senseless and cruel. They're just doing their snaky things. I just prefer they do their snaky things elsewhere.

nashfad
May. 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
Mothballs? I heard that somewhere. Cat piss is good at keeping them away ------have any dirty kitty litter?

Watch Wee Willy
May. 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
I think I've seen something in the garden dept at Home Depot that's supposed to keep snakes away. Don't know if it works or not. I have a king snake that takes up residence in my barn. He scares the $@&%%+=*^€!!!!!!! out of me. I don't want him dead (I know he's keeping the rattlesnakes away), I just don't want to see him. LOL. I accidentally picked him up one day in a handful of hay. I died for a little while. Then I had to go home and change my breeches.

muffintop
May. 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Watch Wee Willy, i just peed my pants! Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I want him gone because he sunbathes on the top porch step and number one, i don't want to step on him, number two i don't want my dogs to eat him and number three i'm afraid he's going to slither into my house, and i would let him because i'm afraid of him! I also want him gone because my daughter insists it's a rattlesnake (I know it's not) and when we got home last night it was just getting dark and she said she saw him all coiled up and hissing at us. I had to laugh but I wonder if he really was hissing! Maybe I'll get a pitchfork and place him somewhere else...i do like the fact that he eats mice though!:winkgrin:

Watch Wee Willy
May. 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Watch Wee Willy, i just peed my pants!

Well, that made two of us!! :D

Mudroom
May. 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
One day I came home to find a 5 foot black snake stretched out across our dining room floor. Thankfully I got home before my wife did. Scooped him up with a pitchfork and relocated him to the woods, but was obviously concerned about him being inside the house. I called one of those Critter Gitter guys. He said "I'm all booked up, but let me ask you a few questions...
First Question: Do you have vines on your house?
A: Yes, why is that important?
Response: It's simple, where you have vines you have birds, where you have birds you have snakes..the choice is yours

Vines are gone

Bacardi1
May. 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Your best friend re: moving snakes is an old-fashioned regular long-handled broom with natural or synthetic bristles. NO metal rakes - you'll end up injuring the snake, possibly fatally.

If outdoors & afraid of snakes, simply use the broom to shoo/scoot the snake away. If braver, use the broom to press down on the snake right behind the head - enough to immobilize him while you quickly & gently grab snake directly behind the head. Not the neck - DIRECTLY behind the head. Use your other hand to support the body (never "dangle" a snake - injury or death to snake can ensue) & carry it off to another spot on your property or into a container if taking said snake for a ride.

Obviously I'm not advocating this method for poisonous snakes, but it works great for the very common Black Rat Snakes, Corn Snakes, Garters, etc., etc.

cloudyandcallie
May. 30, 2012, 06:25 PM
Your county ag agent can help. Call him/her..

Or maybe you have a fire dept with a venom squad? 2Jakes works for one in her city and county.

Sonesta
May. 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
If you really must have him removed, just find out what neighborhood kids like snakes and call one to come get him for you.

Oh, and regarding hissing: lots of harmless snakes will sort of draw up their bodies and hiss a bit trying to scare you away. It means they are terrified of you. There are even a couple of harmless ones that will try to copy a rattler and try to vibrate their tail. Don't be fooled. If it doesn't have an arrow shaped head (or is colored like a coral snake) it is harmless in the U.S.

SMF11
May. 31, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have garter snakes living in my barn's dry stone foundation. They sun themselves on the rocks every morning (there's a picture of one on my facebook page :) ). I've always wondered what they ate -- they seem too small to eat mice but if they do I'd be happy!

Sonesta is right, some kids love snakes. My 12 year old does -- he picks them up (gently) pretty frequently!

cowboymom
May. 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
I love garter snakes-my 12 year old daughter just caught one in the yard yesterday.

Driving home the other day I saw a neighbor kid standing by a running lawn mower holding a two feet long garter snake and carefully relocating it to the safe side of the yard...

Holly Jeanne
May. 31, 2012, 05:23 PM
Can I call you if I find one in my house? :lol: