PDA

View Full Version : new Jumpers

Lindsay
Nov. 26, 2002, 11:18 PM
Hi guys I am getting a new jumper for
Christmas. Hopefully one that I can take to West Palm with me next month for the Junior Jumpers. I want more than one and think for the amount of money my parents should buy me two new ones instead of one?
I know it sounds bratty but I am a really good rider and a few hundred thou is totally acceptable to make me a good rider,,so I can't buy their "well you have school" issue so split it and buy me two!!!

Anyway anyone else have to deal with this and only 3 years left in the JR's

Lindsay
Nov. 26, 2002, 11:18 PM
Hi guys I am getting a new jumper for
Christmas. Hopefully one that I can take to West Palm with me next month for the Junior Jumpers. I want more than one and think for the amount of money my parents should buy me two new ones instead of one?
I know it sounds bratty but I am a really good rider and a few hundred thou is totally acceptable to make me a good rider,,so I can't buy their "well you have school" issue so split it and buy me two!!!

Anyway anyone else have to deal with this and only 3 years left in the JR's

Marcella
Nov. 26, 2002, 11:55 PM
I have no idea what to say to that situation since I am quite far removed from it, but if there are any dollars left over, can I possibly have it? I don't even have enough $$ to buy carrots right now. I didn't have any treats to feed Riley, so I had to take a handful of mints from Denny's. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Honestly, if you could afford to spend that amount on horses and the upkeep on them, couldn't you get a private tutor? Then you could technically do both-school and horses. I am sure there are a lot of kids that have tutors at the big winter shows, so maybe there is a mini-school going on or something.

Good luck with your predicament...

TS Clique*Chestnut TB Jumper Clique*GPA Clique*Do It Yourself Clique

2greys
Nov. 27, 2002, 04:10 AM
Why don't you buy like, 10 $10,000 horses? And give 8 to me. You can still have your 2! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

but if you shop for horses in my price range, $700 and under, you could buy a WHOLE bunch!!

I think you should muck stalls and earn money and buy your own ponies, instead of letting mommy and daddy pay for everything, but thats just my opinion!

[This message was edited by daisy on Nov. 27, 2002 at 07:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by daisy on Nov. 27, 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

BenRidin
Nov. 27, 2002, 06:06 AM
If you are worried about school there is a private school in west palm that I'm going to and I can give you info on the lady if you want. You need to make whatever plans SOON because A LOT of people go there and things might be full by the time you try to make arrangements.
If you parents don't want you being tutored you should tell them that most kids after being tutored go back to their school ahead of the rest of their grade.

~BenRidin

JuniorJumper01
Nov. 27, 2002, 06:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BenRidin:
If you are worried about school there is a private school in west palm that I'm going to and I can give you info on the lady if you want. You need to make whatever plans SOON because A LOT of people go there and things might be full by the time you try to make arrangements.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What school is this? I go to a private school in WPB (The King's Academy.) You can see my school here (http://www.tka.net)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Amanda /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Niaouli
Nov. 27, 2002, 06:21 AM
I think people should be thankful for what they have. But that's just my opinion.

A few hundred thou translates to a half million when you consider that your EXTREMELY nice parents will have to make that much to pay the tax on their money and buy you two horses.

Why did I even bother posting? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"We will not agree to war, unless you have spent the same amount of money first seeking peace" - anonymous

Zoef
Nov. 27, 2002, 06:44 AM
A few things:

You do realize that even if you buy 2 horses rather than 1 and spend the same amount of money (i.e. 2 100k horses rahter than 1 200k horse) that it will cost your parents twice as much to keep 2 horses over time. Do you know how much money it costs to keep 1 horse for a year? Do you know how much money it costs to just send one horse to FL for the year? Are you helping to defer fees by working to earn money to help you parents pay these fees? I suspect not. I understand your point that the more practice you get the quicker you learn, but if you are going to ask your parents to spring for it is sounds like you need to adjust your attitude big time.

Secondly, I can't tell what the "you have school" comment means - whether you have to fly back and forth - but assuming that is the case I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who are upset that their parents will not let then have tutors in FL. Your parents are paying all this money for you to participate in this sport, so clearly they support you. But if they in their best judgment think that you should go to a real school then be thankful they let you do FL at all.

Thirdly, "I only have three years left in JRs". And then what - does your life end? If you love riding you will find a way to do it far past your junior years and the amount of time you have left is irrelevant. What should matter to you is that you keep learning and growing as a rider and a human being and this is a sport in which you can do that for the rest of you life.

Nuff said.

caffeinated
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindsay:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The price of the horses in question is mostly irrelevent and I'll try not to comment on it (though it makes my head spin and I start to get bitter before I quell that initial response). What does worry me here is the idea that "a few hundred thou" will make you a good rider. Nothing makes you a good rider but time in the saddle. And the best riders I've seen are the ones who make something of OTTB clunkers or otherwise "problematic" horses, not the ones who spend a few hundred thousand dollars on perfect show horses. Sure, the money and nice horses will win you the ribbons, but are you really a better rider for it?

My thought is, if you want to be a truly better rider, get some cheap or truly green horses and make them better. Test your skills. You may not win top jumping shows on them but it sure will help you hone your riding ability. If all you care about is ribbons, however, get the expensive horses and steer them around.

There's nothing wrong with having the money and ability to get these horses... but the idea that the money and top horses is what will make you better, well that's a little over the top, IMNSHO.

Of course, I wish I could even comprehend or imagine just having my mom drop five times her annual salary on a horse to "make me a better rider". LOL.

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**

Instant Karma
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:05 AM
I think you need reality to give you a nice, swift kick in the arse. Be glad your parents are willing to spend a cent on your hobby, there are plenty of excellent riders out there who never have the opportunity or finances to even own a horse. And here *you* are complaining that you want two 6 figure horses. Maybe you should start worrying about some real issues, like your future, and what you are going to do when mom and dad stop paying your way.

~Erin~
Instant Karma
http://hometown.aol.com/ws6transamgirl/index.html

CoolMeadows
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:16 AM
It's true that you'll probably learn more riding two horses rather than one. Maybe your parents would prefer to buy one and lease another one, say at 6 month leases if you can get it. That way if the responsibility of two horses plus school proves to be too much, your parents have the option of not renewing the lease. It will be up to you to prove that you can handle it.

Seven
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:21 AM
*coughtrollcough*

New York Horse Rescue (http://www.nyhr.org)

Calvaro V
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:22 AM
All I can say Lindsay is I hope that your message was tongue in cheek because that is a really poor attitude to have. Most people in this world never see that much money throughout their whole lifetime.

caffeinated
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:30 AM
Does that make us the Billy Goats Gruff?

starlight
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:49 AM
and leave this as my only comment...if you MUST have 2 horses, then why don't you get one that will make you happy, costing mega-bucks, and another that will take RIDING and TRAINING to get the horse going. That will make you a better rider...

wnqs
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:50 AM
baaa...baa...Goats (http://animecity.nu/helen/goats.jpg)

-Helen /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

*In Your Dreams*
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:56 AM
Edited So I Could Try To Help Instead Of Making Things Worse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I have this theory that if we're told we're bad. Then that's the only idea we'll ever have. But maybe if we are surrounded in beauty. Someday we will become what we see. Please be careful with me, I'm sensitive, and I would like to stay that way
- *Jewel*

[This message was edited by *In Your Dreams* on Nov. 30, 2002 at 09:36 PM.]

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:57 AM
I am excited for you that you are going to be getting what is apparently a $100k jumper for Christmas. I am going to warn you however that the way you worded your post may get your flamed (i.e. rudely talked to and chastised) because while you arelucky enough to have parents who will spend this kind of money on your horses, 99% of the people on this board work extremely hard for their horses and generally do not have $100k to throw at a horse. In addition because we on this board generally do not have as much disposable income as your parents the thought of getting 2 $100k horses or even 2 $50k horses is quite absurd and should not be taken lightly.

If you were to perhaps express your thoughts a little differently with a little more respect and regard for the amount of money your parents are spending I'm sure that everyone on the board would love to help you with your dilemma, right guys!?

And also, I'm upset that people always jump to the conclusion that it is automatically a troll because it appears to be someone who has a good deal of money. If you want to answer the post, answer it, if it makes you mad ignore it rather than flame. I would hope that everyone dishes out the same respect that they expect. . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

- - - - - -
"We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Seven
Nov. 27, 2002, 08:40 AM
CGR, I'm don't feel at all apologetic about labeling this a trolling post. We didn't really have to make that far of a leap that this could be a trolling post....typically folks with these sorts of 'problems' have plenty of good advisors around (e.g. trainers, agents, parents, real-life friends, etc.) that they don't need to go posting them on an anonymous public bulletin board. Not to mention the flippant manner in which such 'problems' are presented. That, coupled with 'new member' status makes it very hard to take such a post seriously. Most BBers that have similar issues have spent a bit of time becoming a part of this community and therefore are taken seriously when posting. Coming on here out of the blue with such an non-issue 'problem' is going to get one labeled a troll. If Lindsay wants to stick around and let folks get to know him/her a bit, it would be easier to accept. I, for one, can easily see this discussion deteriorating and am amazed at the thoughtful responses presented. You're all much more generous than I, so I won't continue to bother you with my opinion.

Happy Holidays!

New York Horse Rescue (http://www.nyhr.org)

Dementia 13
Nov. 27, 2002, 08:57 AM
Lindsay, can I have your old horse? He's cute if you are who I think you are!

Anyway, I agree with Cool Meadows.

Moesha
Nov. 27, 2002, 09:00 AM
I'll have that Friend to M!!!

M&M
Nov. 27, 2002, 09:29 AM
OK, Lindsay I don't Know why your parents would buy you two $$ junior jumpers let alone one with that attitude. First of all your lucky that your parents are going to buy you a horse that is a few hundred thousand dollars, send you to West Palm Beach and your whining about not having two junior jumpers and that your parents support you having an education!! I'm a junior I also show in the junior jumpers and hey, I'm a good rider but I've gotten there by working hard. NOT WHINING! I'm sorry and I know this post is mean but really you should be thankful that your parents are buying you an $$ horse and sending you to West Palm. Plus, to get a nice Junior Jumper it doesn't have to be hundreds of thousand of dollars. I have a horse that did Grand Prixs and he certainly wasn't that much. So sorry I warned you this was mean but I just couldn't help it.

BenRidin
Nov. 27, 2002, 09:38 AM
The name is #1 education place /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif haha I guess she wasn't modest in naming it :-) I haven't been there yet (this is my first time to WEF) but I have heard great things about it.

Would everyone please stop calling her a troll?? Sure I bet she has a lot of learning to do but I don't think that this post was meant in any way harmful. If you take offense to what she is saying then simply be the bigger person and make the mature choice to simply not read her posts anymore.

~BenRidin

Weatherford
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:08 AM
I checked one of Lindsay's previous posts and she is not a troll, even though this one IS trollish /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lindsay - word of warning. IF you tell people (especially professionals) you can spend xxx amount of money for a great horse, I guarentee you, they will spend every cent of it and MORE!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Meanwhile, good and better Jr/Amy type horses - that is horse competing at 1.20-1.30 are a dime a dozen in Europe, especially Ireland! Do some solid homework on your own - chat (privately) with other people on this BB who have been to or are from the various OTHER horse markets in the world. Make yourself proud that you may have found something special - or at least educated yourself about the world outside your trainers' (ahm) pockets!

Plus, as someone has posted, sometimes the older "been there, done that" horses - who might not be up to the big ones any more - can be found at reasonable prices.

And, what people have posted about the cost of the CARE of two horses as versus one is VERY true, adn should be considered. A cost in TIME as well as money. And, I assume, since you are a junior, TIME is (or at least will be) an issue.

(Maybe if you spent a LOT less on the two horses, it would make up the difference for a while! ; But it wouldn't give you the extra time to spend... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

GOOD LUCK!

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Serendipity:
CGR, I'm don't feel at all apologetic about labeling this a trolling post. We didn't really have to make that far of a leap that this could be a trolling post....typically folks with these sorts of 'problems' have plenty of good advisors around (e.g. trainers, agents, parents, _real-life_ friends, etc.) that they don't need to go posting them on an anonymous public bulletin board. Not to mention the flippant manner in which such 'problems' are presented. That, coupled with 'new member' status makes it very hard to take such a post seriously. Most BBers that have similar issues have spent a bit of time becoming a part of this community and therefore are taken seriously when posting. Coming on here out of the blue with such an non-issue 'problem' is going to get one labeled a troll. If Lindsay wants to stick around and let folks get to know him/her a bit, it would be easier to accept. I, for one, can easily see this discussion deteriorating and am amazed at the thoughtful responses presented. You're all much more generous than I, so I won't continue to bother you with my opinion.

Happy Holidays!

http://www.nyhr.org&lt;HR&gt;&lt;/BLOCKQUOTE&gt; (http://www.nyhr.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>)

If you had - as weatherfor did, checked Lindsay's name out and seen where else she had posted, perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to label troll. Oh no wait, that wouldn't be any fun. It's much easier to jump on someone who has more money than the rest of us. I'm not saying that Lindsay's attitude is particularly sparkling but jeez, whenever a post comes up that involves someone spending a lot of money we always jump down their throats with the "I work so hard. . . . . . You should be thankful. . . . . You're attitude sucks. . . . aren't you lucky" Crap.

If you have no sympathy for this person don't post, I hardly think that she is going to learn a life lesson about being thankful from 20 people on a BB screaming at her about her attitude. Either answer her question of don't. I could deal without all the nasty attitudes from some of the responders on this BB. If you respond to a nasty attitude by jumping down someone's throat, how does that make you the better person??? (BTW before you flame ME, this was all said in a calm voice)

- - - - - -
"We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:30 AM
Oh, and why is it the kid's fault that their attitude might stink. If their parents have money I have a hunch that sometimes that kid might inherit the stinky attitude from them!

It doesn't take long for parents to spoil a child into a bad attitude (not saying you Lindsay particularly, just making a general observation}). I find that when I deal with spoiled children on an everyday basis, it's their parents that allow the horrid attitude at home and therefore the attitude spews elsewhere.

Off rant. . .

- - - - - -

caffeinated
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:35 AM
I want to clarify my earlier post- I don't want to scream at her because she has money. And I understand some people have that kind of cash to spend, and try not to hold it against her. Heck if I had the money I'd sure as heck go out and get some stellar horses too! Why not?

My one comment really was just in response to the idea that very expensive horses and money is what will make her a better rider. I am sure having a couple different horses is better than having one, in that regard, as you have to learn to work around the quirks of each horse and it gives you more experience. But horses in the price range being discussed are generally not the types of horses that truly help a rider develop their ability. Well, let me clarify- they may develop their ability to ride, but there's a lot to be learned as well in developing greenies or monsters in that well-known lower price range.

In general I tend to think better of a young junior rider who bought a horse at $35K and turned it into a great jumper (for whom she has been offerred the type of price Lindsay is talking about), then the rider who goes and buys the already made one. Even the $35K horse is way beyond my imagination in terms of cost, but I would think the rider that developed her own mount might be more capable than the one who just buys a nice more-made one.

If what she wants is a horse she can win on, that's great, but if what she wants is to become a better rider, I would imagine something a little different might be more in order.

I don't want to be read as "wah, you suck, hundreds of thousands for horses!??? spoiled brat!!!!" While the tone used to say "a few hundred thou" as if it's nothing is a little eyebrow raising, it's the idea that the money and these super expensive horses alone would make her better that I had questions about.

It may all be a poor choice of phrasing, but it caught my eye.

M&M
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:42 AM
Then why are you posting? You are telling us not to post if we disagree with what Lindsay is saying. Well, you disagree with what some of us are saying so why are u posting?

TSWJB
Nov. 27, 2002, 10:56 AM
well if this person reads alot of posts, then they would know that many people struggle to pay for one horse and be able to show in a few shows a year. i personally think it is rude to come on and complain that daddy will not buy me two 100K plus horses.
if she is too young to understand that she is extremely privileged, then its about time she has a lesson in proper etiquette.. it may be harsh, but she needs to learn this soon, because people will not like her. not out of jealousy, but because it just is improper to be complaining when others have so much less than this person.

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M&M:
Then why are you posting? You are telling us not to post if we disagree with what Lindsay is saying. Well, you disagree with what some of us are saying so why are u posting?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I was addressing what THIS topic was originally about. I don't post on topics I don't like and last time I checked you didn't start this topic.

Also I did not state that I didn't say you should only post when you agree with someone, I said you should not automatically jump on people like we tend to do - and notice the we I always use, interestingly enough that may sometimes include me. I am not perfect, Lindsay is not perfect and last time I checked neither are you.

I am also asking you to try to understand where Lindsay's attitude may have come from, not whether it's right or wrong. We know nothing about her yet jump on her for not using perfectly PC language or thanking the daylight for giving her parents the money to support her habit. I would love to have that kind of money but I'm not going to attack Lindsay cause she does and may come off as being flippant about it.

- - - - - -

flypony74
Nov. 27, 2002, 12:53 PM
It's not about the money, it's about the attitude and being THANKFUL for things and opportunities that you have. Typically, when you have to work for something, you are much more thankful for it. I bought my first horse with my own money when I was 12 years old, and to this day I wouldn't trade her for anything. She may not have cost six figures (three, actually), but we made a fun, exciting career for ourselves and she is worth more than any amount of money to me. I'd take 10 more of her, if I could (which would come to about $6000).

"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow." -- James Dean

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 12:54 PM
so just because 95% of us have had to work for what we have means that everyone who has money has to be perfectly thankful??

That's a little unrealistic don't you think?

If the attitude ticks you off, ignore it and move on.

- - - - - -

Medievalist
Nov. 27, 2002, 12:59 PM
I have just the horse for you. I think for a few hundred k, I might be willing to part with Didi de l'Amour /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Je m'raconte des histoires; En écoutant sa voix
C'est pas vrai ces histoires; Mais moi j'y crois.
Mon mec Ã* moi
-Patricia Kaas
Centre Equestre de la Houssaye (http://www.eii.fr/houssaye)

levremont
Nov. 27, 2002, 01:00 PM
But is someone having a bad day or what ...and besides M&M is perfect lol...

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 27, 2002, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sallylou:
But is someone having a bad day or what ...and besides M&M is perfect lol...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not having a bad day - I'm actually having a great day, getting ready to fly home for turkey day. However I am sick of people jumping on relatively new posters who do not exhibit the "proper and perfect" posting etiquette, or sparkling attitudes that the rest of you seem to.

Don't worry I won't be around much longer today I have to get on a plane shortly. . . . .

- - - - - -

MissCapitalSplash
Nov. 27, 2002, 01:28 PM
Go for it! Follow your dreams and get the horse that will take you where you want. I wish I had the money, but I'm not going to make you feel bad because you do.

I am perfectly happy with my 4 horses, none of which cost over $1,000!!!

M&M
Nov. 27, 2002, 04:46 PM
hehehe thanks sallylou!!!! lol

mwalshe
Nov. 27, 2002, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
I checked one of Lindsay's previous posts and she is not a troll, even though this one IS trollish /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually the earlier post that I read makes me almost certain this is a troll post b/c her earlier post is well-written and appears to be that of an adult while this one is written classic "junior-lampoon" style.

Hard to believe it is the same person! Or if it is , that she's not having some fun with y'all.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

BenRidin
Nov. 27, 2002, 05:57 PM
your horses may not have cost you over $1,000, but from what i hear you saying about them, they are all well over worth that much. - Specially Little Miss Rizzo!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~BenRidin

E
Nov. 27, 2002, 07:05 PM
First off just to clarify I would like to say you are very lucky you have parents that are willing to buy you very expensive, talented animals, pay for very expensive, talented trainers and pay for possibly the most expensive horseshow in the country to attend consecutive weeks. Now that it is very clear you a very lucky person let me continue, it's not worth coming to whine here to a bunch of people who may or may not have many more problems then you! I can't even fathom stepping into the Jr Jumpers at West Palm on a horse that cost more or the same amount as my home ready to go jump around, that's like a dream. So you go live that dream, but don't come whining to me when that very expensive,talented horse suddenly develops some naughty habit, and god forbid you'll have to lose money on it, sell it and find another one. Good luck finding those horses, hope you have't told that very talented trainer your price range!

E
Well, I made it back

MissCapitalSplash
Nov. 28, 2002, 03:23 AM
Yes,m they are worth WAY more than that.
We have gotten offers of $9,000 and a trade for Mysti as a broodmare, and more as a kids walk trot horse.

Splash is worth a ton w/ her lines as a brood, especially considering the 2 foals she had before are awesome.

Rizzo, well, she's gonna be worth tons, but she is currently worth more than the $400 I paid for her, considering she is now double registered buckskin.

Mr Slim's sire has a stud fee of $17,000, he won $40,000 on the track, yes, he was worth more than the $1000 we paid, but the trainer felt that we would be a better home than to keep him racing.

SO, yes, I didn't pay over $1,000, but I am working my butt off to get these horses places. SOmeday, SPlash and I are gonna win an Appy world championship!!!

Small Change
Nov. 28, 2002, 05:29 AM
Don't offer him to her! Give me atleast until this weekend to try to win the lottery, and I'll take him!

*Sigh...* Dad and I both drool over every picture you post of Didi...

Steph /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping -Julius Hare

cags5
Nov. 28, 2002, 06:54 AM
Wow..I don't think I have heard someone talk so matter of factly about "a few hundred thou"

And Lindsay..a Few Hundred thousand dollar horses wont make you a better rider..those horses are made to a T..The OTTB that costs $1500 will make you the btter rider. The hrose that you have to think and find ways to work through their problems wil make you a better rider. Having mommy and daddy buy u a made horse doesn;t mean your a good rider...

Besides that I'm speechless..

-=Liz Asci=-
http://www.geocities.com/man0war5/pics
Love what you do, do what you love- That's why I ride.

Niaouli
Nov. 28, 2002, 09:08 AM
Oh, and your "Who cares about school issue"

The amount of time you spend now and in the next few years will DIRECTLY affect your ability to ride "multiple one hundred thou'" horses because honey, you can't let your parents do everything for you, and I'm sure that they won't support your habit themselves.

Get ONE horse. Do well with that one horse, don't shirk your school and your responsibilities.

Btw, guys, why has she not posted a reply at all. Are we sure she's not a troll?

"We will not agree to war, unless you have spent the same amount of money first seeking peace" - anonymous

Weatherford
Nov. 28, 2002, 09:26 AM
Good point about the quality of writing. Hmm, and there are some, uh, toublemakers whom we have not heard from recently - and since this IS vacation, some of them have more time on their hands... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You are right, "she" has not posted again, nor did "she" respond to my private email warning her about her attitude and the response it might bring...

Troll or not, can you imagine? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately, a couple of hundred thousand wouldn't either BUY me the horse of my dreams (Calvaro V) (that is assuming I don't already own one close to his talent, size, and beauty... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), NOR would it buy me the body, youth, and talent/time/energy etc to RIDE him!!!

However, no one won the Irish lottery this week - granted it is only a couple of mil - not a BIG win... but, it would pay the rent... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BenRidin
Nov. 28, 2002, 11:11 AM
Maybe she doesn't want to respond to what you guys are saying and I can't blame her if she decided to not come back. I'm sure she feels really embarrased now and it's better that she not add more fuel to the fire isn't it? By choosing to ignore people that make her feel bad about herself I don't think she is being a troll - after all, isn't a troll someone who comes on and starts trouble? I think she is doing a smart thing by not responding because it would probably just cause more argument. just my 2 cents...

~BenRidin

MissCapitalSplash
Nov. 28, 2002, 11:22 AM
As I said earlier, I think what we had in this psot was a prime example of jealously. I am not jealous of her, actually I am happy for her because she is obviously a lucky girl who is happy.

I am perfectly satisfied with my life and see no need in being jealous of other people who are more fortunate.

DreamBigEq37
Nov. 28, 2002, 11:23 AM
Oy. I'm going to hold my tongue, or rather my typing fingers, from saying what I want to say but...

Try being grateful that your parents are getting you one nice horse. Many people, including me, could only dream about having a horse in that price range, although, you know, I'm not sure I would want it. Having "a few hundred thou" will not make you a better rider, although it may help make you famous on that one horse.

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
&lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
&lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3
If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago. - George Morris

barncat
Nov. 28, 2002, 02:00 PM
I think you should buy a 2500 dollar horse off the track and spend the rest at Emily Post's school of etiquette.

Maybe an evening at a homeless shelter serving meals may put life in perspective for you.

BenRidin
Nov. 28, 2002, 02:43 PM
How can any of you say she is not thankful for what she has? Come on, if you had it wouldn't you want to spend it for all it's worth too?

~BenRidin

Ariosti
Nov. 28, 2002, 03:04 PM
If not, Lindsay honey, you need to spend a couple of years in the Peace Corps to get an idea of how the rest of the world lives. Troll or not, it's sad either way.

Amen barncat!

MellowM
Nov. 28, 2002, 05:11 PM
Do what you want! Shit, if your parents were mine I would probably be pressuring for a third horse! hehe!

ChagrinSaddlery
Nov. 28, 2002, 06:02 PM
Lindsay I am not sure I would have even started this thread.

Folks, the kid is young and perhaps immature. I don't know about you but I am moving on.

Don't just appear in life, STAR in it!

Katie_Rosenzweig
Nov. 28, 2002, 11:30 PM
All i can say is that i think you are extremely lucky. but i wish you would have stated your complaint in a slightly different way. Im sure it came off MUCH differently to everyone else than it did to you...but next time be more careful about how you flaunt your money and what your parents are going to buy you. Its great that you are getting these really nice horses, but why brag about it to everyone? once you start winning...we will notice

~*~Rosey~*~
Who's That
Picasso
Code of Honor
Mikhail
http://www.willowayfarm.com

mwalshe
Nov. 29, 2002, 01:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Weatherford:
However, no one won the Irish lottery this week - granted it is only a couple of mil - not a BIG win... but, it would pay the rent... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that's not what you do with the Irish lottery! You blow it all in 6 months on a flash car, rounds for the lads and a detached house for your mum! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

About $6500 could buy me the horse of my dreams right now, unfortunately I don't have it so ... oh well /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif One of these days /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif She'd make one heck of a junior jumper too... if the kid could stay on her /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Weatherford
Nov. 29, 2002, 02:42 AM
Oh, BELIEVE ME, I'd rather Calvaro than some flash CAR!!!

Besides my Mum has a detached!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PonyJumperGRL
Nov. 29, 2002, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure if this thread is a joke or if it's real? Write now I'm leaning towards a joke...

-----------------------------
http://www.manderzpony.tk

~SC~
Nov. 29, 2002, 10:27 AM
Well, since she hasn't responded... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique~ Buckle Bunnies /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lotsospots
Nov. 29, 2002, 11:48 AM
Lindsay, please tell me you are joking.

I was sure that this whole thread was a joke [really, I was even giggling], but then people seemed to get pretty serious, and you haven't responded as I expected [no, no I was just being sarcastic]....eek are there really kids out there that are this spoiled? Hmm maybe one day your parents will go bankrupt and you will learn a thing or two about reality. I sincerely hope you get the *opportunity* to shovel lots of sh*t to work off your board, not to mention buying your own damn horse.

Aren't you going to explain yourself?

findeight
Nov. 29, 2002, 11:55 AM
jeesh....I had this really bad troll bite last month and it finally healed.
I'll just stay out from under this bridge.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

Remi and me
Nov. 29, 2002, 12:06 PM
DOUBLE TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
IT JUST HAS TO BE! PLEASE SAY THIS AIN'T REAL!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
I want to "do jumpers" and I paid $1500.00 for Remi the adorable!!!!
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Tosca
Nov. 29, 2002, 12:11 PM
And why exactly is this pointless thread still continuing for 3 pages?

Oh darn, now I'm just making it worse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Remi and me
Nov. 29, 2002, 12:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tosca:
And why exactly is this pointless thread still continuing for 3 pages?

Oh darn, now I'm just making it worse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because we are all full of turkey and have time on our hands since we don't have to cook anymore - in my case - for at least three weeks! Happy day after to all! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Medievalist
Nov. 29, 2002, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Small Change:
Don't offer him to her! Give me atleast until this weekend to try to win the lottery, and I'll take him!

*Sigh...* Dad and I both drool over every picture you post of Didi...

Steph /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
_Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping -Julius Hare_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know Small Change...for a few hundred k, I could buy us each about 20 Didis....I _would_ miss the original though! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mon mec Ã* moi
-Patricia Kaas

AAJumper
Nov. 29, 2002, 04:09 PM
You know the one, I think it's called "Maple Street", where they live in a really happy, wonderful neighborhood until the aliens show up. The aliens start messing with the people (but they have no idea the aliens are causing all this), by making their power go out, and then magically it turns on....but only at one person's house. Then no one's cars will start up...except for one! So everyone starts fighting with their neighbors blaming each other, one guy gets a shotgun, and all hell has breaks loose with neighbors fighting, etc. And the aliens, who just did a few little things to stir up the neighborhood are up in their spaceship enjoying the show. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

visit www.victorianfarms.com (http://www.victorianfarms.com)

Lindsay
Nov. 29, 2002, 09:00 PM
I haven't reponded because I don't spend too much time on the computer, I haven;t even checked emails in awhile.I said I hope it wasn't sounding bratty, but you guys are really rude, not all of you tnanks to the nice people who had things to say. People post all kinds of stuff on here and say mean things to each other, and just because my parents have money to buy me nice things you guys are jealous. Well I just wanted to post something since that I could talk about and I thought someone might be able to relate to me about showing at the high A levels. but I guess I was wrong. Of course my trainers will pick out horses for me and I don't need that advice from people.but I want just wanted to talk about riding and showing with other pressures. I am rich and have lots of nice things but you know how many of you spent Thanksgiving in homeless shelters with your parents helping others.
look for me in the Chronicle there aren't too many Lindsay's with jr. jumpers. I'm sorry I bothered.

Medievalist
Nov. 29, 2002, 09:50 PM
This post just made my night! Here I am, stuck in the stupid computer lab making root locus and bode plots during a holiday weekend like the big engineering dork I am, and I got to read this. Excellent.

Lindsay, you have no idea who some of these posters are. Some of their identities would surprise you. Some of them have horses that I am hazarding have been bought/sold in the same range as yours(a few I'm sure for even more...). They are offering you advice on many different things. Try to take it with an open mind. Some advice is good and some is not...that's the nature of the beast.

I just had a very interesting IM conversation with another BBer about this thread. She said a well-known trainer once told her "the difference between making a $$ horse and buying a $$ horse is that the one who made it can ride and the one who bought it can preach." I thought that was an interesting thing to say...something good to think about.

If you just want to ride in the jr jumpers to have fun, I don't think anyone here has a problem with that, but just with your approach in your original post. I'm sure you will have a blast on whatever horse you have. However, if you do want to become a real rider in the true sense of the word, think about the quote above.

Mon mec Ã* moi
-Patricia Kaas

Bentley
Nov. 29, 2002, 10:21 PM
You put into words what I've been thinking since Lindsay posted her reply.

glad that you're so eloquent /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Maybe you want to change your degree to a nice BA in English /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alixe

Lindsay
Nov. 29, 2002, 11:44 PM
Hey, wait a minute I said I took the good advice and can understand that, but no one is listening to the fact that I did not mean to come across as anything other than I have this a amount and I want to do this, I already have a very nice Junior Jumper in Zone and State Standings, and just want my parents to take it more seriously and that instead of "scaring" me with you have to concentrate on school that I can do both. That is all. look I am sure there are a lot of great horse people here,but I am not some idiot. I obviously can take constructive criticism no matter how harsh or slightly off topic to my point, but there were a lot of people on here who went off on me for no other reason than the money issue. I can become a better rider. and some of you all should know that certain names both trainer and horse make the rider in todays competitive horse show world.

JumpTheMoon
Nov. 30, 2002, 04:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medievalist:
I just had a very interesting IM conversation with another BBer about this thread. She said a well-known trainer once told her "the difference between making a $$ horse and buying a $$ horse is that the one who made it can ride and the one who bought it can preach." I thought that was an interesting thing to say...something good to think about.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very far from the truth in most circumstances! What about the people who buy inexpensive horses and make them into something, sell them for a lot more and then buy a made horse to just relax and do well on? Does that mean they're a bad rider? I don't think so! You can't tell me that people such as Maggie, Jamie and Danielle T, who have horses worth the price of my house and more, can't ride. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Just because someone has the money to buy a nice horse doesn't mean they can't ride it. People chose to spend their money differently. Don't be so quick to assume that just because she has $200K to spend on nice horses that she doesn't appreciate what she has, or should be spending her time in the 2' jumpers. She never said anything about her riding abillity!
A horse isn't going to the job if the rider isn't helping, no matter HOW expensive. If Lindsay is already doing the Jr Jumpers, she obviously has no problem in the riding ability department. Just because she doesn't want to train a $500 OTTB to do the GP's doesn't mean she sucks! With only a few years left as a Junior, I don't blame her for wanting something more made. I'd do the same thing if I had that kind of money, too!

BarbB
Nov. 30, 2002, 05:19 AM
Since this idiotic thread has already grown to 4 pages I thought I might as well contribute - maybe we can make it 10 pages of drivel.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

BarbB
charter member BEQS Clique & Invisible Poster Clique

...virtue shall be bound into the hair of thy forelock... I have given thee the power of flight without wings. - The Koran

achcosuva
Nov. 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
Lindsay,
First off, may I say I'm very, very envious of you! I would love to beable to afford that type of horse! *drool* But, since I can't, you must post pictures once you get him/her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Okay, now that we're beyond my wide-eyed, slack-jawed, oh-my-god-I-wish-I-were-her feelings... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rather than just begging and pleading with your parents, which only works about 10% of the time, try offering suggestions. Like BenRidin' said, you can go to a private school down in Florida. In fact, she even offered to put you in touch with the principal, or whoever it is you contact to go to a private school. Also, another poster put a link to the school she goes to down there, you could check that out. Or you could suggest getting a tutor, or home-schooling with a couple of other girls you know from the circuit.

Also, give your parents a schedule. For example, "I'll come home from school, ride Horse #1; ride Horse #2; do an hour of homework before dinner, and then finish it after dinner." Show that you've got it all planned out. Parents love schedules!

And then, if you do manage to get both horses, or even if you only get one, do all your homework, keep up with all your chores. Become the model daughter /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and then they'll either be glad they got you both horses, or they'll realize what a wonderful person you are and get you the second horse.

Also, you might want to try a green horse, if you can get two horses. A made horse is wonderful, yes, but nothing compares with the partnership that comes from developing your own horse. This doesn't mean you have to take a crazy OTTB (though they are wonderful, I loff OTTBs) and make it into a GP jumper. Take a promising youngster, maybe a 3 y/o that's been broke on the flat, and bring it along. It's defintely worth it! And the feeling of accomplishment that comes from winning, or just placing, at a prestigious show with a horse you've trained yourself is just out of this world. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
"I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

cheeky_appy
Nov. 30, 2002, 01:24 PM
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME!!
I had to work my BUTT off to buy my horse!! No way my parents would buy me a horse!! OK we wont be going right to the top in show jumping, but at least we are getting out and doing the best we can!! WOW a few hundred thousand dollars "no big deal". geeez, well if you think that just because you have a really flash expensive horse and get on it and win everything without schooling is easy, I reckon the judges will be able to tell. If there is no connection there between horse and rider the judges will pick up on this.
You still have to work to be a good rider.
And as for how I bought my horse, I am a university student, I delivered pizzas, work my butt off in plant nurseries over the summer, waitress and bar tend, all because I adore my horse so much that I wouldnt have it any other way.
This is what I think horse ownership is about, its partnership, not just having rich parents buying you a couple of top horses to play about with in the show ring.
Anyway, hope you sort your problem out, bye!!

Debbie: Appaloosa lover!!
Member of the Do It Yourself Clique
And founder?? of the Appaloosa show jumping clique

Dusty
Nov. 30, 2002, 02:43 PM
"and just because my parents have money to buy me nice things you guys are jealous."

Uh, I don't think so - I think you need to learn what it is to be humble and grateful for what you DO have. You knew your post was "snotty" when you wrote it, if you wanted support for your ideas, it might have been wiser to post on a board read by kids your own age. Unfortunately for you, this board consists of many, many more adults and mature jr's - you are not going to find a whole lot of sympathy for your cause here I'm afraid - JMHO

*Ride and let ride...*

Ariosti
Nov. 30, 2002, 05:17 PM
I was thinking though, maybe we shouldn't give Lindsay a such a hard time. She's only 15 or 16, so there are two ADULTS behind all this. I am a firm believer in nurture over nature, and I think this is a true example of that premise.

I still can't get over the fact that this isn't a troll though!

Ski Bum
Nov. 30, 2002, 06:28 PM
Hehehehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif oh my goodness... Maybe Lindsay's parents are comfotable with spending a few hundred thousand on 1 or 2 horses, I know alot of junior riders who's parents are like that. If my parents had that much money I would ask them for the same thing! Buuutttt....I do however find that it is very tacky to SAY how much money your parents are willing to spend on your horses. Maybe for future reference you could tell this privately to people in e-mails, because extreme amounts of money like that do cause controversey for whatever reasons.
Kristin

"Mirrors on the ceiling,the pink champaigne on ice.And she said, 'We are all just prisoners here of our own device'". ~ Eagles

*In Your Dreams*
Nov. 30, 2002, 06:44 PM
Talk to your parents and tell them you are trying to become a serious competitor on the circuit. Tell them that if they get a private tutor that you will keep your grades up, and behave yourself, and try to improve your attitude. Maybe they will agree, maybe not, I'm sure they have their reasons.

A "few" hundred thousand dollars will get you a lot. Get one JR Jumper, and buy a nice OTTT to work with.(like others said) If you are a good enough rider to ride a JR Jumper, you should be fine working with the Thoroughbred. Also, make sure to give a huge*Thanks* to your wonderful parents who are blessed to be able to support you this much.

I have been in your shoes a couple of times on different issues.(trainers) Really make an effort to try and improve your attitude, and the way your point comes across in your writing.

Good luck,

~Andrea and Dream~
*Challenge Everything*

SBT
Nov. 30, 2002, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and some of you all should know that certain names both trainer and horse make the rider in todays competitive horse show world.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lindsay, you might buy the most famous horse and ride with the biggest trainer, but if you go in the ring and ride poorly, do those things really matter? And even if you go in the ring and WIN, will you really care or appreciate what everyone (parents, trainer, horse, etc.) has done to get you there? Win or lose, will you LEARN anything (other than perhaps what brand of saddle you MUST have to be "competitive" next year)? Will the experience of showing make you a better rider? Will you learn good sportsmanship? Will any of it matter a few years from now, when it's time to pick an Ivy League college and your grades aren't up to par? You need to prioritize things a little bit. Your parents are NOT stupid for wanting you to get a great education. If that means not buying you any more horses, more power to them!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am rich and have lots of nice things<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you know what, sweetie? I am poor and have lots of nice things. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif I am very pleased with myself when I look at my tall boots, my new saddle, and my new car, because I've worked for YEARS to get them. You don't have to be rich to have lots of nice things. You just have to work for them, and that makes you appreciate them so much more.

FYI, I didn't spend Thanksgiving handing out food in a homeless shelter. I spent the day AFTER Thanksgiving working at the barn in exchange for riding privileges. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Try it sometime; you might like it!

~Sara
*Charter member of the GM Fan Club*
*Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron*

Fetlocks
Nov. 30, 2002, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lindsay:
I am rich and have lots of nice things <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummmm, as a junior...YOU are not rich....your parents are and THEY provide you with those nice things. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif One day, YOU may well be rich, as many who have horses are...but for now, you're not. Please give appropriate credit where it is due.

Oh, and you can find pictures of lots of BBers in the Chronicle...that in and of itself, does not make one a good rider.

HuntJumpSC
Nov. 30, 2002, 07:41 PM
"Blither blather blither blather blither blather...."
'Nuff said! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif SUZ

Oops! Did I just feed the troll?

~~~"It weren't me...Booger done it!"~~~

Pirateer
Nov. 30, 2002, 09:02 PM
Wow. Promised myself I'd stay out...but its gone on THIS long, so what the hell...

Lindsay: I think you should get the 2 horses. If they'll pay for it, why not? A good idea though, would be getting a nice trained one, and then plunking down $30k or so on a nice greenie. If you want to go somewhere professionally, working/training/riding a greenie to success somewhere will get you known.

And, as you seem somewhat new-ish to COTH, a piece of advice. Yes, its perfectly ok to have money, and talk about doing the A circuit, etc. But people do get offended when you give actual $$ amounts, be it high or low, the inference being to everyone else is that paying more, or paying less, depending on the situation, is a bad thing. So, keep the dollar amounts out of it, and you should be fine. If you wanna talk $$$, go to TH or CR. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And everyone else, be nice! Everyone's new once. And she isn't surely used to this grand place, and maybe mistook it for TH.

Rebecca
http://www.bluffparkfarm.com
http://www.angelfire.com/darkside/smited/index.html

Surgeon General's Warning: Avril Lavigne is bad for your health

Marcella
Nov. 30, 2002, 09:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am rich and have lots of nice things <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA HA HA HA HA!!!

You will get 0 sympathy around here with that attitude. And bravo to the one that said your parents are rich and you are not. Not true enough.

Several young women I know, some very good friends of mine, have trust funds equalling that of a small country. They shop at Walmart. Sure, they have really nice horses they paid $$$ from Europe, but they can't ride their way out of a paper sack, and they fully admit it! Why can't they ride--they've always had nice horses. Never had one that would come close to putting a hoof wrong. And it is a big deal when they place because the people out there on horses they brought up on their own are the ones winning.

I can't ride worth #%$^, but my horse will go mosey around a 4'6 course with no problem. Do I learn anything? Nope. Never knew how to get a horse there, so I don't know the dynamics of the whole thing and when I get into trouble, I am doggie doo.

Oh yeah. My parents bought me the packer because that is what I wanted so I could go win. Well, I don't win. He is almost too much horse for me since he knows so much, but I don't know enough to get it out of him. As for being rich, I was. I have all sorts of Hermes tack and stuff. Truck, trailer. But now that I am on my own I can't even buy carrots for my poor guy.

Appreciate it while you can because it won't last forever!! Get an education so you can pay for this stuff later, or at least have the sophistication and manners to attract someone rich to pay for it.

I luv feeding trolls...happy t-day (trolling day)

TS Clique*Chestnut TB Jumper Clique*GPA Clique*Do It Yourself Clique

Niaouli
Nov. 30, 2002, 11:51 PM
Goodness gracious.

JTM has a point. We shant generalize, but I'm afraid we don't know how to interpret SOMEONE'S comments.

Let me explain something to you. I have a friend, let's call her Jill. Her father takes home about 2.5 million a year, and that's after taxes (which by the way honey, up in canada, income brackets like that get taxed by 52%, not like 30% down there in Canada)

Her parents are the most supportive people I've ever met. But you know what they do? They have financed her education. They've encouraged her to get a job. They've provided her with the BASIS to a SUCESSFUL future, so when she starts her career and hasn't claimed that "she's rich", she's got the skills and the intuitions to make it in the real world. Her father has money in the bank. They don't live all flashy.

She rides at a level that she can afford. Yes, she pays for most of her riding.

Just because you have the money, doesn't mean you have to spend it. If she went arrogantly to her parents and said "SCREW SCHOOL.. I want uber-expensive horses!!!!", they'd take her temperature, because she might be very sick and dillusional.

She's an extremely talented rider. But she works her butt off for many things.

I'm not going to sit here and preach, because obviously by the tone of someone's attitude, someone doesn't wish to learn from other people's opinions.

To come on here and say that you're rich and your parents should buy you stuff; angers people who spend their last cent on our equine friends. We're not preaching to you. We're not jealous. We certainly know better than that. And by assuming that we're jealous, you're insinuating that we share and recognize the same values as you.

Nevertheless, good luck. If not from us, I'm sure you'll learn in time.

daytimedrama
Dec. 1, 2002, 12:15 AM
wow a lot of people already gave really good advice. ditto.

~Christina~
"Take most people, they're crazy about cars. I'd rather have a goddamn horse. A horse is at least human, for god sake."
-JD Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

cags5
Dec. 1, 2002, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Don't just appear in life, STAR in it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Num1Trainer..I LOVE your siggy!!

And as far as this post is concerned..perhaps the ball should stop rolling..ohh wait..by posting this i kept it going..three cheers for blissful oblivion!

-=Liz Asci=-
http://www.geocities.com/man0war5/pics
Love what you do, do what you love- That's why I ride.

Nikki^
Dec. 1, 2002, 08:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IJumpHi:
Appreciate it while you can because it won't last forever!! Get an education so you can pay for this stuff later, or at least have the sophistication and manners to attract someone rich to pay for it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. That was what my dad told me when I was in high school. I'm out of college and now I can afford to do the horse shows.

http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/Pedigree/
Look up your TB's bloodlines

banana82
Dec. 1, 2002, 10:22 AM
wow....i went home for the holidays, and came back and saw this topic.

lindsay, you are the kind of kid that i was soooooo jealous of. i was one of those kids who groomed at shows for years, so that i could get rides on the horses no-one else wanted to ride. i've known lots of kids who were my age and their parents could go out and buy them expensive horses. i hated them.

i think that i've gained some perspective as i've gotten older. i value the hard work that got me to where i am, and i value what i have because i worked for it myself.

you are a lucky girl to have these opportunities. instead of complaining that you will only get one horse instead of two, make the most of it that you can. i don't think that people are saying harsh things to you because you are rich, i think its because you don't seem to value what you have.

InWhyCee
Dec. 1, 2002, 03:59 PM
I hope to God you are kidding. I also hope you have a trust fund waiting for you because, honeychile, "a few hundred thou" is a lot of money, more money then most of us make in a year, or two, or three.

PS: Money will help, and help a lot, but it will not MAKE you a good rider.

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."

Katie_Rosenzweig
Dec. 1, 2002, 09:28 PM
i can't even ride when i graduate high school...i have to sell my horses so i can go to school. ill miss it but at the same time, i dont wanna show as an ammy and i want to go to school in SoCali and just enjoy school..not have to worry about the expenses of my horses. so im enjoying things while i can and im so thankful for everything that my parents give me. they work so hard and are so supportful. so all i can say lindsay is be thankful and go have fun, just ditch the attitude of "im rich and you're jealous" and you will make a ton more friends on this board

~*~Rosey~*~
Who's That
Picasso
Code of Honor
Mikhail
http://www.willowayfarm.com

Kachoo
Dec. 1, 2002, 11:05 PM
So many people here are looking for a shortcut, and that's just not realistic. It's very often assumed that my two horses cost tons . . . not so. Cesi actually came for less than US$10,000 (most likely because he was nearly impossible to handle at the time). His main cost was in the transport. I got both him and Caiman green and have put tons of hard work into them, and that's why I can now put up with the satisfaction of so many people believing that my family is rich /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif.

Cheers,
Susie
http://www.kachoom.com

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!" ~Homer Simpson

[This message was edited by Kachoo on Dec. 02, 2002 at 02:22 AM.]

caffeinated
Dec. 2, 2002, 03:45 AM
And for the third time I will say-

It's not the amount you want to spend that raised my eyebrow- it's your idea that money is what will make you better. Money may get you more ribbons and nicer horses, but doesn't necessarily make you a better rider.

I used to be very insanely jealous of riders like Lindsey- there I was, mucking their stalls so I could afford lessons, and they'd show up for lessons and shows and win everything, because they had money coming out their parents' ears. I'm not jealous anymore. For one thing, I recognize that luck and who you are born to is not the fault of the individual, and that if a person has the chance to do that sort of thing they should take it. Secondly, and more importantly, all the girls whose stalls I mucked have disappeared off the face of the planet, apparently, or didn't go to college, thinking they would ride instead (learning only when mommy and daddy cut them off what horses actuallty cost). And where am I? Still riding, showing a little bit, and having fun. New saddle, new show clothes, and a new baby horse all my own. I know a lot of girls I was totally jealous of can no longer afford to ride and are scraping by- and frankly I wouldn't trade my experience for anything, no matter how much I may have wanted that 100K horse.... so anyway now I'm the lucky one.

That was random I know, but I wanted to explain that I'm really not jealous of Miss Lindsay- instead I'm just left feeling sort of sad that there are people in the world who think money will get them everywhere. We all learn, though, in time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As for advice, if you want to be a *better* rider I agree with the idea of getting one super nice made horse and one greenie to hone your skills on.

Instant Karma
Dec. 3, 2002, 09:20 AM
I am rich and have lots of nice things but *blah, blah, blah*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CORRECTION: Your PARENTS are rich. You are just being a financial parasite at this point.
Ok, carry on.

Erin and Instant Karma
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
http://hometown.aol.com/ws6transamgirl/index.html

Dementia 13
Dec. 3, 2002, 09:33 AM
I think if you guys met Lindsay you would understand that she is really a nice person and does not mean to come across the way she appears in this thread. She's only 15, btw.

Here's to a peaceful holiday season, everyone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

QueenMother
Dec. 3, 2002, 10:48 AM
15 is old enough for a reality check.

Hopefully Lindsay has learned from the responses to her original post that even if she's "all that", not everyone wants to hear in dollars and cents how much "all that" costs, and that crying "you're jealous" when it is pointed out that she's spoiled, doesn't win friends and influence people.

Is this the same Lindsay who shows in the 2' novice equitation at Culpeper AND junior jumpers at the same show?

commodore
Dec. 3, 2002, 10:57 AM
I just have to add that when my parents bought me a horse worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, it made me a crappy rider. It made me not work as hard and blame my losing on the judges rather than my loose leg or failure to straighten my horse down the line (which always happened). yes, I was a huge brat. As is Lindsay. Then, upon the advice of my trainers, I got a really, really hard (MUCH cheaper) green large junior and truly LEARNED to ride. Did I win a lot on the expensive small jr.? Yes; probably more than on my large. But did it teach me anything? No. And I was 5 times the rider after having to deal with spooks, stops and enormous overjumps. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. And I'd like to think that that hard work is partly why I am no longer a spoiled brat.

(Most of the time /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

commodore
Dec. 3, 2002, 11:00 AM
By the way,

I was "rich and had lots of nice things" too, still am, I guess, but you know what? I have learned that it doesn't matter. The best thing I ever did for myself was go to an amazing college, work my a** off through law school and get a real job, even though I would not be hurting financially without it. I have much more self-esteem and desire to do goo for others than I would if I were just living off my trust fund and whining to daddy. I suggest you think about doing the same for yourself; my friends who took the alternative route are all extremely sorry.

My advice to "lindsay." I'll shut up now; sorry /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

QueenMother
Dec. 3, 2002, 11:04 AM
Well put, Commodore.

Ridin' Fool
Dec. 3, 2002, 11:04 AM
I was trying to avoid this but it's all so twisted! I really thought this thread had to be a joke. Boy, 15 or not, if my parents ever heard that I said something like our poster, they would have had a fit! That "hundred thou" would have disappeared from my proverbial hands in a sec!

I doubt that many people on this board are really jealous of Lindsay. Many of us make good money, have nice horses, cars, trucks, trailers, etc., but since we worked for it, hearing another throw around big numbers like it's pennies can be irksome. Honestly, I do think she sounds bratty. Sorry. Would love to hear if she takes care of her own horse at the shows, knows how to braid (and actually does it), can hop on various greenies and help in their training, and has to offset some of her showing costs by grooming and such. Then I'll cut her some slack. Don't care if she's 15, terrible attitude to impart to this group - not sure who said it earlier, but echo comment that if Lindsay has read previous posts by most of our members, she would know how hard most work to keep their horses, and she might have worded her post with more sensitivity. Money only became the issue because it really was the main point of her post. If she only had $2000 to spend on two horses, I will assure you she would have received a MUCH more positive response - perhaps the "hundred thou" was in bad taste.

Clive's Mom
Dec. 3, 2002, 01:13 PM
Honestly - I don't care what Lindsay's parents can afford - it's up to them how they spend their money and who are we to criticize how they spend it?

However, Lindsay - my advice to you is that school is MOST IMPORTANT. I know that the lure of showing and riding is strong. I'm not even sure you'll understand the power of education until you are much older, but you asked for advice, so I'm giving it. Ride and have fun, but make sure you put at least as much if not more effort into your BRAIN. Money is transient - it comes and goes (just ask the folks at Enron), but your education will carry you thru the hard times and help you become more worldy, help you make life decisions....ugh, so much more.

Ignore the meanies - you said you didn't want to sound snotty in your post, so I'll take that statement at face value. Get the best grades you can and go to the best college that will accept you. The horses will always be there for you to ride in your spare time.

Good luck!

Ladybay
Dec. 3, 2002, 03:45 PM
Lindsey dear, I hate to break it to you, but no amount of money will make you a good rider.

Hard work and dedication will, no matter the price tag of your horse.

Also, what makes you think riding a made $100,000 horse makes you a good rider? Winning does not make you a good rider. Niether does riding a horse that you just point at fences and have your trainer "tune-up".

I'm trying not to be mean, so I'm gonna stop now.

Actually I have one idea for you. JOIN PONYCLUB! That will be JUST the reality check you need. You would start at D1 level.

RolexH
Dec. 4, 2002, 04:52 AM
I have the most beautiful child, wonderful husband and greatest friends at COTH.... Oh wait we aren't talking about that are we??

( /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I have never heard so many people talking about what is in their bank accounts... )

~~Lisa~~
Save a life, be an organ donor

Niaouli
Dec. 4, 2002, 07:23 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN Lisa, AMEN.

You just served us all a big reality check. Thank you /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tu mamá
Dec. 4, 2002, 08:00 AM
not to say anything on this topic...

but just let her be. her big reality check will come sooner or later a hundred miles an hour right smack in her face.

-kNd-

BettyBoop
Dec. 4, 2002, 09:48 AM
I can't believe all of you are the same wonderful people who are being so generous and giving to Baby Aiden. Lindsey is a young girl who happens to have money. We all know that children and teens sometimes speak without thinking about how things sound. This sounds like a lot of jealousy - I am surprised at people rolling their eyes talking about other's bank accounts, etc. I thought we were in the spirit of giving and then I read this. Sad.

Lindsey, good luck with your new horses. I am sorry you received this treatment from our board.

caffeinated
Dec. 4, 2002, 09:50 AM
It's not about the money. I think people were a little upset NOT that she has money and is rich, but at the idea that money will make her better, and the cavelier attitude that "a couple hundred thou" is not that much really.

At least that's the vibe I got, and there is a difference between that and jealousy

carribean
Dec. 4, 2002, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BettyBoop:
I can't believe all of you are the same wonderful people who are being so generous and giving to Baby Aiden. Lindsey is a young girl who happens to have money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha I thought this thread would be ppl posting about their new jumpers and full of great pics or something! Lol I guess not.

Yes, these are the same people who gave to Baby Aiden, a sick child who is in need of funds for a costly operation. Your point? Are you trying to make a comparison? Because it's really not working at all. People on this BB are nice and generous to give their hard earned $$ to the auction. This isn't about the auction, though, this is about a girl wanting more than 1 horse... so are you trying to say that you can compare our actions toward baby Aiden to our actions toward Lindsay? Umm...no. Don't even try.

**anna**
*~Proud Founder of the H/J Paints Clique~*

BettyBoop
Dec. 4, 2002, 09:58 AM
I never compared it at all. I think the auction is a wonderful thing and was so blessed to see how the board was coming together. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post.

I just think it is sad that we can't show all the members the same compassion. Isn't that what this time of year is for?

Lindsey deserves our respect and understanding. If a few hundred thousand is not that much to her then we should understand that perhaps she lives differently than we do. It sounds to me like she wants a horse to learn and grow on and wants her parents to understand that.

Dementia 13
Dec. 4, 2002, 10:01 AM
Oh for heaven's sakes, let us not have yet another thread degenerate into an us against them mish-mash of insults and hurling. Please, in the spirit of peace I beg of you let us have a civil discussion.

I will be happy to post a picture of Phyllis! She's a jumper and she was reserve in adults in VA last year - she only cost $3500 but I would be happy to do it just to keep peace on the bb.

Does anyone know any songs or anything that we could all sing together?

Lily
Dec. 4, 2002, 10:07 AM
Lindsay, I'm sure you're a great rider with lots of talent, and it's terrific that your parents are willing to support your riding.

I think this was said several times earlier in the thread, but just remember that having two horses leaves you with less time and ultimately less money, since you'll have double the board, showing, shoeing, vet, etc. bills.

If your parents are concerned with you having a new jumper and still keeping up your grades, prove to them that you can handle it. Get one horse, and work hard at both the barn and in the classroom. Once you've done that, think about leasing another horse on a 6 month basis.

I think that you could have phrased your initial post in a slightly different way. It does take awhile to figure out the best way to ask questions here, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it if you stick around. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BarbB
Dec. 4, 2002, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BettyBoop:

Lindsey deserves our respect and understanding. If a few hundred thousand is not that much to her then we should understand that perhaps she lives differently than we do. It sounds to me like she wants a horse to learn and grow on and wants her parents to understand that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understanding - maybe. I Know that if she had posted for help to convince her parents that she was ready for two horses and really felt that this would help her become a better rider - there would have been LOTS of helpful suggestions.
Others have pointed out how offensive her post actually was. And when that was pointed out - instead of apologizing and explaining that she really did want/need some advice - she stated that we were all just jealous. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Pleeeease.

You are never too young to learn how to get along with people, and some chastising on a BB is a small price to pay to learn something.

As for respect - it is earned - not given.

BarbB
charter member BEQS Clique & Invisible Poster Clique

...virtue shall be bound into the hair of thy forelock... I have given thee the power of flight without wings. - The Koran

BenRidin
Dec. 4, 2002, 11:21 AM
Yes her post may have been offensive to people but the point is I really don't think she meant it to be. She said she was trying not to come off as a snot, she just couldn't word it any differently probably? I don't know, either way I don't think people on here should bother with the lectures because I doubt they will work. - she just has some growing up to do.. we were all at that point at sometime in our lives (i will admit that for me that point was not too long ago)

Ps - that quote "respect should be earned not given" I could not agree more but I think everyone is entitled for people to respect their opinions and beliefs, just not necessarily respect them as a person unless they have proven themselves worthy of that respect.
Ok thats my opinion so I hope everyone can respect that /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~BenRidin

DreamBigEq37
Dec. 4, 2002, 11:47 AM
I never compared it at all. I think the auction is a wonderful thing and was so blessed to see how the board was coming together. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post.

I just think it is sad that we can't show all the members the same compassion. Isn't that what this time of year is for?

Lindsey deserves our respect and understanding. If a few hundred thousand is not that much to her then we should understand that perhaps she lives differently than we do. It sounds to me like she wants a horse to learn and grow on and wants her parents to understand that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show the same COMPASSION to a baby with sever liver disease who needs help and an girl who wants our advice on getting her parents to pitch in "a few hundred thou" to make her a better rider and needs a serious attitude check?

Betty, it seems like maybe you haven't been around here for a while, but the people on this board are incredibly wonderful, nice, generous people who have been following Aiden from birth. They are also people who don't deal well with snobby people with attitudes. No one here would ever be mean and cruel the way you seem to think they are. Maybe you should back down from criticizing people you don't know.

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
&lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
&lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3
If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago. - George Morris

Dementia 13
Dec. 4, 2002, 12:12 PM
Why does everything have to degenerate into a fight lately?

Why, why, why?

Clive's Mom
Dec. 4, 2002, 12:14 PM
They are prepping for the upcoming Holiday season...stretching out their fangs and getting them ready to sink into an unsuspecting relative /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dementia 13
Dec. 4, 2002, 12:20 PM
Practice makes perfect I guess!

SoEasy
Dec. 4, 2002, 12:27 PM
STOP IT

Thank you.

frisbee32
Dec. 4, 2002, 01:01 PM
It is all in how we word ourselves.

If lindsay would have said it in a different way, we would all not jump on her case. But to say "I am rich, have lots of nice things and you are all jealous, few hundred k, etc." I could go on, was not very nice. I am sure that Lindsay rides with a top trainer that has lots of other rich clients that she could discuss this with and get responses from those that might understand her situation better. Maybe this was not the right avenue for her question and I am sure that she see's that now (but from her other posts, does not really feel to bad). I feel sorry for her, what happens if all of the money goes away, and we all know that it can happen in this economy and with corruption in the business world. You never know where you will end up. You have to be the best, kindest person that you can be, that will help you through life.

Weatherford
Dec. 4, 2002, 01:04 PM
And that is what we have been saying for the past three pages.

Topic closed before things get nasty again.