PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just hate farm life :( Yes, just a whiny vent

JB
May. 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
A few weeks ago I was dragging the ring and pretty much chopped a frog in half, except his front half was still crawling around :dead: I had to end him quickly with a stomp, and I nearly threw up doing that.

Last week there were a few frogs digging into the moist, shady dirt under Rio's exterior stall door. I tried moving them, did a few times (to behind the water tub right there which stays shady and damp-ish. I thought I was keeping a close eye on both of them, but I missed one and the instant I wondered why the door was hard to close I heard a noise - partially eviscerated the bigger of the 2 frogs, and he was pretty successfully hopping around with guts hanging out :( :( I could not stomp him, so took him to where the chickens were and just hoped the were hungry :dead:

Tonight mowing the pasture I saw a little fluttering thing that turned out to be a baby bird, probably a kildeer, whose little wing I chopped off :cry::cry: Still hoping around, trying to fly/hop away. I took him to hopefully a quick end to one of the kitties, who promptly accepted the challenge - I could NOT stomp that little guy :cry::cry:

Sucky times :(

LauraKY
May. 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
I know, I mowed over a rabbit last week...just got the back 1/4 of him...I had to turn the mower and run over him to finish him off. I can't stand the rabbits, but I felt horrible about it...I don't want to see an animal suffer.

DieBlaueReiterin
May. 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
ughhh so sad! :( that kind of stuff just sucks. last year, the landlord of the farm where my mom lives was mowing, and he MOWED A BARN CAT. it was so horrible! i definitely feel for you.:no:

dacasodivine
May. 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
My father in law once mowed over a fawn. It survived but was badly injured. He had to shoot it to end it's misery. He was pretty traumatized.

cowboymom
May. 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
gah-my neice mowed their PET cat. He was hiding under the riding mower when she started it up. She's still traumatized. :no:

I hate it all the random deaths too... DH shoulders a lot of it for me. and still he wonders why I'm a paranoid mess when he brushhogs (all cats, chickens and ducks need to be accounted for and locked up) or moves heavy items...

For small things that need "offing" I have a big heavy brick paver in the driveway. the victim gets set on the ground and I drop the paver on it and walk away. DH will either pick up the remains or I will when I know it's all dried up and unrecognizable.

I HATE stomping things.

JB
May. 27, 2012, 10:31 PM
I would be BESIDE MYSELF if I ever chomped a kitty :( :( Bunny would be bad enough, omg. At least our pasture is never bad enough to hide fawns, but we were just talking to a neighbor who said people around here try hard not to cut hay in May because of fawns :(

I will remember the brick trick if there's a next time. Gag

And I will damn sure tell hubby he must check under the mower from now on before starting up. At least with the tractor mower, it's usually lifted on the way to mowing, or at least just pulled with the PTO on to the grass, and all our kitties RUN when the tractor starts up.

I think I need to drink my frozen mudslide a lot faster :( :(

skydy
May. 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
Oh dear, I feel your pain.

I won't go into the particulars,I don't have the "farm" anymore, but I remember it well and those type of incidents are still with me..

Hang in there. The paving stone is a great idea, and a gun is a good thing when confronted with a larger disaster when a vet is far away. Thankfully never had to use the gun option but realized the necessity of having it, after finding myself unable to manually end the suffering of an eviscerated stray cat. I would have been able to shoot it... Yikes, I'll have a glass of wine now, just remembering..

GraceLikeRain
May. 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
My heart goes out to all of y'all. I am paranoid about driving and hitting a squirrel and only running over the backend. I cannot fathom some of the inevitable farm related deaths.

ReSomething
May. 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'm sick, because I'm laughing, but unfortunately I've had my share of cracked open box turtles ( I hate that, box turtles are so cool), frog parts, mangled mice, bunny parts etc. I got lucky and found the beginnings of a mouse nest in one of the blankets before I washed it - if I'd chucked it in the washer with the family still there that'd defintely be barf material.

I just hope it's quick when they go.

Duramax
May. 27, 2012, 11:39 PM
I feel your pain JB. I managed to mow down a baby bunny earlier this week while bush hogging. Called the dog over to finish it off. :no:

msj
May. 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
So far, (knock on wood) the only thing that I know I killed was a snake while weedwacking my ditch at the road and I felt really awful. :( I may have gotten a mouse in one of the pastures but I think he got away in time. I've come close to mowing a fawn but thankfully realized it wasn't a hunk of tree bark!

I feel for all of you as I know I'd probably upchuck on the spot! :eek:

My Two Cents
May. 28, 2012, 09:30 AM
Glad I mowed yesterday and have a week to absorb all this info.

SLW
May. 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
It is awful when an encounter creates an injury with wildlife and we have to ease the pain. :(

I'll never forget the wailing voice on the phone of my BFF years ago. She is not a dramatic person but in this call she was just gibberish. After a few minutes she got it out- she had set fire to a huge brush pile on their farm. She and a hired man were standing there watching it and after a few minutes one of her barn cats ran out of the pile, on fire. It was horrific on.every.level. :(

chai
May. 28, 2012, 04:54 PM
Such sad stories. It sure is difficult at times. I thought I was the only one who had the bad luck to come across random animal tragedy on my farms and in nature in general. I tell mr. chai I wish there was a 'delete' button for the human brain for some of the sad things I've seen. Some people aren't aware enough to see these things and others don't care, but for those of us who notice and feel for the animals, it's awful. When I've boarded I've had the misfortune to find injured kittens, once a horse with a leg caught in a drain because the farm manager was such a lazy, stupid ass...thirty years later I'm still PTSD over it.

I guess when we love animals as much as we do and spend so much time around them and in farm settings, we're bound to see the very real side of survival, but it's still very hard.

kookicat
May. 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
It just sucks. I had an invasion of baby frogs here a few years ago- I accidently killed one while sweeping. I was paranoid after that.

My idiot neighbour's cat keeps leaving half dead rabbits for me to find. It's awful. My dogs are trained not to attack/chase rabbits, so I have to do the deed myself.

I have a good heavy spade to finish small animals off with. Then I go and shake/try not to throw up. It's the worst part of farm life.

hightide
May. 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
I was on a trail ride the other day, when my mother behind me asked if my horse had an abscess or some reason for the goo that was in his shoe ... yup, horsey creamed a toad and had the remains in his shoe. :(

Haven't had too many deaths here recently, fortunately.

China Doll
May. 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
Lat week my dog chomped on a baby possum. He was bleeding so I figured he would die soon so I tossed him in the dumpster. A few days later those cute little beady eyes were staring up at me. I thought I would put him in the back 40 and let a wild animal put him out of his misery or give him a chance at survival. I went to get a fork to scoop him out of the dumpster and he crawled down and hid. I feel bad for leaving him in there for days and I assume he got smooshed in the garbage truck.

kookicat
May. 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Lat week my dog chomped on a baby possum. He was bleeding so I figured he would die soon so I tossed him in the dumpster. A few days later those cute little beady eyes were staring up at me. I thought I would put him in the back 40 and let a wild animal put him out of his misery or give him a chance at survival. I went to get a fork to scoop him out of the dumpster and he crawled down and hid. I feel bad for leaving him in there for days and I assume he got smooshed in the garbage truck.

This honestly made me feel ill. It was drummed into me that you don't just leave something to die- you suck it up and end the poor creature's suffering, or you get someone to do it for you. I can't imagine why you'd throw a live animal into a rubbish bin.

millerra
May. 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
I have one happy ending story for a very sad thread (after all the sadness and loss lately!).

DH hooks up the baler, pulls it out the shed, turns it on and out pops one of the barn cats from the opening on top (you know where you can see the ram swinging back and forth pounding the hay). Alive, well and totally unharmed. How? No one knows....

Amwrider
May. 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
I hate stuff like this. I have run over snakes with the mower and also hit them accidentally with the weed wacker. I have seen bunnies take off before the mower reached them and I don't think I have run over any bunnies.

I have a problem killing things. Last week I purposefully killed a pygmy rattler in my barn and I as I am chopping it's head off with a shovel I am apologizing profusely for killing it.

JB
May. 29, 2012, 12:45 PM
I knew you guy would understand, though I wondered if someone would say "oh for Pete's sake, it was a frog" ;)

I would MUCH rather have killed these things outright - bam dead head chopped off quick and done. It's the final struggles to keep surviving and moving that tear me up :( :( :(

However, I do NOT have a problem stomping the squash bugs that are coming out ;)

GypsyQ
May. 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
Not just on the farm, either. We were pulling out onto a 4-land highway one day and there was a snake in the middle of the road. Someone had sun over his back end, and he was stuck to the road, trying to move. DH was in the passenger seat and told me, "Kill him. Please." I was able to run over his head and kill him when I pulled out.

Jaideux
May. 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
After reading this thread, I suddenly never want to own a farm or any piece of land ever in my life.

My boyfriend and I went out to dinner one night, and when we came back to the car, right behind my car was a frog whose back half had been run over by the car that pulled in next to us.

I knew the right thing to do- I KNEW IT- and the first words when I saw him was "we have to kill it". And yet I was ABSOLUTELY paralyzed and couldn't get in the car. And I kept going back and forth- don't do it, I'll absolutely faint or vomit; you must do it or we will be horrible horrible people. My boyfriend was willing to do either one (he was driving). I sat in a ball and said "just don't tell me what you do".

When we got home, I started crying because I felt so sh!tty for being a stupid selfish chicken about it, and I was sad for the frog's pain.

My boyfriend is amazing, though, and he later confessed he ran it over even as he told me he didn't because he knew it was the right thing and it was what I wanted.

He's terrible at dealing with our dead pets, though. I don't love it, but I can handle scooping up a dead guinea pig or degu. He can't be in the room :(

We always joke that I'm going to need a heavy sedative when my horses die, but I secretly wonder if he won't need a hit of it, too...

trubandloki
May. 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
Timely thread.

My issue is toads. I love having them around, they are great for eating insects. Why do they have to bury themselves into my sawdust pile? Can't they hide some where I am not walking or stabbing a sharp object?

Twice now I have stabbed into the pile with the pitchfork and ended up with a toad stabbed thru on one of the tines.
Eeek.
The other day my huge toad (not sure if I have one huge toad or lots of huge toads but....) had buried into the sawdust right in my walking path. I am not sure if I stepped on him or not. I checked him all over and reburied him.

Mr. Trub still insists the fawn that we found bits of in the hay field after we bailed was not killed by us cutting/bailing. I am not sure I believe him.

I do find it amusing when half a snake lands on the hay wagon and flops around (assume the other half is in a bale).

KrazyTBMare
May. 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
Ugh I am the same. Getting ready to dispatch a mocassin and apologizing like crazy.

We have a lot of rats hanging around recently. My GSP kept sniffing under a pallet. I figured I would lift it up and prayed the thing didnt run out towards me. Well it didn't and the dog got it. I was worried he was just going to play with it as in the past we had to finish off ones he didnt but then I heard CRUNCH and thankfully he broke its neck and made a fast kill.

I hate killing things too and I agree its those struggling to survive that get me the most.

kookicat
May. 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
Timely thread.

My issue is toads. I love having them around, they are great for eating insects. Why do they have to bury themselves into my sawdust pile? Can't they hide some where I am not walking or stabbing a sharp object?

Twice now I have stabbed into the pile with the pitchfork and ended up with a toad stabbed thru on one of the tines.
Eeek.
The other day my huge toad (not sure if I have one huge toad or lots of huge toads but....) had buried into the sawdust right in my walking path. I am not sure if I stepped on him or not. I checked him all over and reburied him.

Mr. Trub still insists the fawn that we found bits of in the hay field after we bailed was not killed by us cutting/bailing. I am not sure I believe him.

I do find it amusing when half a snake lands on the hay wagon and flops around (assume the other half is in a bale).

Can you make a mini sawdust pile somewhere dark and cool? I bet they'd relocate there if you made it inviting for them.

Somermist
May. 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yes, my husband got a fawn when he cut hay last year. Like others, he did not kill her and had to come up to the house and get the shot gun. We have a terrible over run of deer here and are usually complaining about them. This, however, was terrible and he felt just awful.

Sorry JB, I know just how you feel.

trubandloki
May. 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Can you make a mini sawdust pile somewhere dark and cool? I bet they'd relocate there if you made it inviting for them.
Um......

Well, I suppose.

There are lots of dark cool places to hide, like under the pallets that the hay sits on.

I was wondering if I got them toad huts if they would move into them.
I kind of figured they were like the vast majority of pets (and small children). The things you buy intentionally for them are not as good as what they decide to use (think cat beds vs a piece of paper on the floor or that new toy versus the box it came in).