PDA

View Full Version : JANUARY L. I. PHA MEETING

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 09:06 AM
Well, last night was Jimmy Rices first official meeting as our new leader and what a great job! Much was discussed!

Horse show commitee met first. Most talk was about revamping the prize list and getting started with the hiring of judges. If anyone has requests please e-mail myself or BRILYNRTRIP. Dressing up the facility was another topic. If anyone knows or has a nursery we are looking for donations of, plants, shrubs, trees or anything of that sort. If we all pull together and talk with your local nurserys every little bit will be one big major-WOW look how great it looks.

At the regular PHA meeting we discussed of course the dinner dance. We talked about how we need to change the presentation of the James Walsh Award. We need to grab the rooms attention a bit more so we talked on the current president handling that with a projector at the same time so we could have a visual also.
The actual awards went smooth and quickly[thanks Ken Johnson] but Bobby Savage pointed out how we should at least write something in the program to say a little extra about the champion in each division and what a great idea that was! Thanks Bobby.
Mary O'conner[who did a great job with the photos that night] was put in charge of a new on running project of collecting more for a future L.I. Hall of fame project. So, on that note, keep those pictures coming!
Our spring seminar was put in motion. We are hoping to pull together one with a course designer, jumper rules and Judge to come and speak. Karin, Mary and I have already started working on that so we can pull it all together as soon as possible.
Claire came and was introduced to all.[our hopefully future website person!] Looking forward myself to mondays LIHSAA meeting to get that rolling among the other 10,000 things!!!

As usual, Janet, what did I forget!!!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 09:06 AM
Well, last night was Jimmy Rices first official meeting as our new leader and what a great job! Much was discussed!

Horse show commitee met first. Most talk was about revamping the prize list and getting started with the hiring of judges. If anyone has requests please e-mail myself or BRILYNRTRIP. Dressing up the facility was another topic. If anyone knows or has a nursery we are looking for donations of, plants, shrubs, trees or anything of that sort. If we all pull together and talk with your local nurserys every little bit will be one big major-WOW look how great it looks.

At the regular PHA meeting we discussed of course the dinner dance. We talked about how we need to change the presentation of the James Walsh Award. We need to grab the rooms attention a bit more so we talked on the current president handling that with a projector at the same time so we could have a visual also.
The actual awards went smooth and quickly[thanks Ken Johnson] but Bobby Savage pointed out how we should at least write something in the program to say a little extra about the champion in each division and what a great idea that was! Thanks Bobby.
Mary O'conner[who did a great job with the photos that night] was put in charge of a new on running project of collecting more for a future L.I. Hall of fame project. So, on that note, keep those pictures coming!
Our spring seminar was put in motion. We are hoping to pull together one with a course designer, jumper rules and Judge to come and speak. Karin, Mary and I have already started working on that so we can pull it all together as soon as possible.
Claire came and was introduced to all.[our hopefully future website person!] Looking forward myself to mondays LIHSAA meeting to get that rolling among the other 10,000 things!!!

As usual, Janet, what did I forget!!!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 8, 2002, 09:29 AM
Don't know if you addressed the following issues in your discussions about class/division specs guys...and though I've discussed these briefly with Karin, I'm not sure I have done it in a way to bring it to the LIHSAA board's full attention and consideration:

And that is:

1) the matter of the Low Children's Eq being a blanket 2'3" in height--since the Small/Med CH Ponies jump 2' and the Large CH ponies jump 2'6, could we not have the riders in the Children's Eq division jump the same height they will jump in their hunter classes? (Same with horses?) It seems that the Sm/Med's are jumping the eq too high, and the Larges are jumping the eq too low--and wouldn't eliminating the 2'3" blanket height also eliminate the need at most shows to stop the ring to adjust the fences ONE more time?

My second concern:

2) is that we need to (re)develop the equitation division so that it can stand alone, recognizing riders for moving up and making progress, not just going for another high score award or using the eq as a warm-up for the hunters...none of the eq courses below mini's are geared toward rider development--ie progressing over incrementally more difficult courses that would serve to encourage the development of more competent riders...the idea of the equitation division as one which need not require a monumental investment in horseflesh but would reward rider ability is very appealing, in my opinion, and ought to be considered seriously by those who are charged with designing the specifications. Different levels of equitation should exist, and have different levels of difficulty beyond changing the height and leaving the courses identical to the hunter courses...this is VERY IMPORTANT TO THE FUTURE--we saw in the photographs of our PAST what riders are capable of, but presently, I do not see many if any riders around who could duplicate those feats--let's inspire young riders and their trainers to do better, not by taking away from what they are doing presently, but by adding new challenges for them to meet. Please be brave, and seriously consider this important issue!!!

cc: to all LIHSAA board members that I have e-mail addresses for

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

ccoronios
Jan. 8, 2002, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>we need to (re)develop the equitation division so that it can stand alone <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mary O'Connor - I love you. Not only do you say nice things about my riding, we also agree about the eq division!!!!

By the way, that horse had the DIRTIEST stop in the world - when he went around, we kicked butt against fancier & bigger - OF and on the flat; when he stopped, there was no power on earth that could keep me on him.

PONYPULR
Jan. 8, 2002, 11:37 AM
It has been, and will continue to be, brought to the LIHSAA's attention, that the eq situation is a mess and needs serious fixing. As far as the height of the jumps in the Children's Eq on Ponies go, I'm not sure that it is a LIHSAA concern. Your idea is good, but I thought eq specs were each individual show's own doing. I may be wrong on this--

Deb- your update was great. I only have one thing to add to it- It looks like we now have over $2200 pledged for the Footing Fund. This was raised from donations from Jim Rice, George Lukemire, and myself, and the 50/50 Raffle at the dinner. Every little bit helps- Please, if you or your farm come to the shows and use that ring, donate a couple of bucks to make it a really nice ring. Your donation is tax-deductible!!

So with new footing, some flowers and shrubs, and the roadway worked on the show grounds won't be recognizable!! Come on, Guys, we need everyone to make an effort!!

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar

M. O'Connor
Jan. 8, 2002, 12:59 PM
be happy to write some letters to "likely" sponsors....

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 02:34 PM
and I am in total agreemet with you on your eq. beefs but as Janet stated it is not a matter LIHSAA has any control over. the eq. classes are not LIHSAA pointed therefor we do not have any right to put stipulations on them. That is a management call. The course designer is also the person who sould be challenging these riders on your other issue.
hmmmmm.... wouldn't it be great if we have a seminar about designing courses and hope all managers and course designers from our local shows come and get some tips!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 8, 2002, 03:21 PM
year's PHA show the sm/meds had to do the eq division 3" higher than the children's hunter division that followed it, while the large ponies used the same classes as a warm-up that was lower than the classes they would jump next....just doesn't make sense...maybe, Deb you could pass this observation on to this year's manager? (this "custom" was also practiced at most other shows, I thought it was an official LIHSAA "spec" but I guess not?)

As for the second concern...I strongly feel that the LIHSAA could take the lead on that one--work WITH show managers to create some kind of incentive (recognition for moving up, achievement certificates, or something--note I am NOT in favor of counting points in this case....) and specifications for jump-starting the eq division. There USED to be LIHSAA ride-offs at the end of the year in many divisions, not just short stirrup and open...Leadership on this issue has not been forthcoming from shows and course designers are only as good as the specs that the class calls for (ie, if the AHSA Pony Medal class didn't require 2 tests in the first round, how many times do you think the test would be offered? Nah, those that use it for a warm up for the Pony Hunters would want to feel out those lines, and nothing more....). Passing the buck along to the shows and to the course designers is a cop-out, in my opinion...I know we have immediate priorities that have to take precedence over revamping this division, but once those issues are settled, it will be time to turn the attention to improving things elsewhere.

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 04:06 PM
Felt that shot but it was only a flesh wound!! lol I really and honestly don't know how LIHSAA can do that but I am up for suggestions. On that note, example- all the Adult eq. classes are on the hunt course with hunter type courses so in my opinion this really does not promote true adults eq-ing so if we put it in the main ring with incentives how many horse show managers could fill the adult eq.? See the dilema?

M. O'Connor
Jan. 8, 2002, 05:04 PM
...when LIHSAA Adult Eq was filled when it did take place in the main ring..and there was normally a heck of a shootout come finals time (in the Main Ring at Old Field)--but I'm not suggesting that Adult Eq is the right place to start; sorry, but it it probably too late for the adults to learn new tricks, so a top down approach will not work...no, it is the junior eq, starting with the lowest levels that needs to be looked at, overhauled, tweaked and re-tweaked--if you do this with the idea of building something from the bottom up, you will, over the course of a few seasons (or earlier, you might be surprised to find) end up with a group of strong young riders who have been able to make progress because of the system, not despite it, because of their own abilities, not because they are privileged enough to be sitting on some top dollar horse or pony. And you might, in the process, strengthen the local show scene so that those who would like to move up won't necessarily be forced to move on... As for the flesh wound
I consider it an honor to have placed this challenge before y'all--!! I might point out that at many shows over the past couple years, the pony jumper division has been in this same fix--chicken and egg--the good thing about the eq division is that it only costs the price of the set of ribbons to offer; prize money isn't a consideration (unless there is scholarship money at stake--remember the incentive part?? I do have some very interesting ideas for creating incentives...). Now I also realize that first things first--but I didn't want you guys to get the impression that once the immediate future is taken care of that the pressure would be off!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 06:40 PM
I would like nothing more in time to put some things you talk of in motion. To strengthen the L.I. horse shows.! At this moment unfortunatly, we have some managers that do not even send their results in and do not have the consideration to see the havoc that causes. These things are what make me wonder if some would even want to work on bettering their horse shows and our L.I. riders. They do not seem to want to work with LIHSAA at this point. Can there be hope, really, of what you speak of?

Ha-Ha- too late. Flame suit has been on for quite a bit already!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

timedjumpoff
Jan. 8, 2002, 06:50 PM
Here's an idea for raising some money for the
new footings at Yaphank.

Could you add a line to the prize lists,
something like they do for the Drug Fee?

i.e.,
DONATION TO YAPHANK SHOWGROUNDS' NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART FOOTINGS REVITALIZATION FUND.....................................$1.00
(Donations are tax-deductible. If you do not wish to contribute, please cross out.)

The IRS and AAA do this all thie time.

Paying an extra dollar with show fees might be easier for people than sending in a check.

Re: James Walsh presentation at next years
awards, please see one of the last replies on
page 10 of LIPHA-December thread where I put down several ideas for creating a more exciting, interactive show.

Later...

M. O'Connor
Jan. 8, 2002, 06:59 PM
is exactly why the LIHSAA and PHA must continue to grow stronger, and why the inspiration for change has to come from that direction...HOPE???? are you kidding? Look at what has been done already!!! You gotta be kidding! Just wait and see--no, actually, there is no time to wait, just you keep pushing those roadblocks out of the way and let them all watch in amazement!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 8, 2002, 07:16 PM
Jump off- trust me, that post was on my mind at the meeting. Where do you think I got some of those ideas. Trust me, we are realing you in on that project weather you want to or not!!! lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Time will tell Mary. At least I know we have a great bunch of people now that are ready to dig heals in. I believe that word is starting to spread!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:31 AM
No one is interested in the Eq Divisions anymore. How do you fix that? Shows use the eq classes as warmups, which doesn't help the "different course, different ring" ideas. Incentives? The Hunters have it all over the Eq in that department. In years gone by, many would do 2 or even 3 divisions at a show. Now the expense and wear and tear on the horses is a factor. Remember, people used to show maybe twice a month and that was considered alot. Now they go weekly and twice a week.

I have always been in favor of the Ladder System, maiden, novice ,limit, etc., but it does not work in today's shows. It is a shame.

I don't think that finals is the answer either. They haven't worked for the Adults for a long time. Or the Mini's, for that matter.

There is no quick fix but, I agree with Mary, it has to be addressed. It is just one more thing that the new board will have to put on its agenda.

gwen
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:41 AM
I personally am an Eq girl at heart..although I've only been doing the Lows, I would love to get into the Eq again...But the classes do seem to be really small if they fill at all!!!

**Barb**

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 07:17 AM
I'm not saying it will be easy to repair, but for the sake of horsemanship and the art of riding, (as opposed to salesmanship and the art of translating money spent into ribbons won) it is worth trying to rebuild...of course the ladder system needs to be returned to...and the reason the eqs are only hunter warmups is that old chicken and egg thing once more...but that is another reason that starting from the ground up, with the younger riders is the way to go--sorry, but the time has already passed for riders who are already using those classes to warm up their hunters...no one is suggesting that those who are already doing too many divisions for their horses own good should do more. No, the riders I want to attract to the eq divisions of the future are only in leadline now--they will follow the only path open to them (hunters/spend to win) unless we give them another option (equitation/skills progression)...I am suggesting growing a division from scratch basically, not teacing old dogs new tricks...What I'm saying is, that we need to (re)invent another type of dog, or should I say "puppy" since whatever we end up with it will be small to start with. Humor me for awhile Janet--eventually we will get there.

p.s. I think what I have in mind will serve to KEEP riders, who otherwise would depart for other activities, in the sport--not deplete the market for hunters. A nice hunter will always be a very desirable and sought after animal, but not everyone can afford one, or to campaign for the high score awards and year end finals (ie Zones, indoors), the eq division should be there both to prepare riders to go on to bigger and better things (ie Young Riders, jumpers) and to encourage the art of riding and horsemanship for their own sake; the nice thing about the eq division is that it needen't take a lot of money to excell in it if it is structured correctly.

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Jan. 09, 2002 at 10:29 AM.]

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 08:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONYPULR:
Remember, people used to show maybe twice a month and that was considered alot. Now they go weekly and twice a week.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Janet has hit the nail on the head with that one! Being we have so many shows here in the summer months that is a major factor. So, continuing on that note, some of those shows top off at 30 horses and are in major LIHSAA violations that in the past meant nothing to them.I think it is time to start having them 'pay' the consequences on them to start the uphill swing to being on top of things. Then,hopefully, shows will try to bring back a dying breed of eq. and move forward in all directions for they will see how we want the quality of shows to improve. I for one- would love to see these eq. classes befor the hunters gone and replace them with lower, real eq. classes in the main rings! Give the kids one schooling hunter class befor their actual hunter class and give the others the same fence height in the main ring if they truly want to eq. But-at this point, managers would say they make a lot of money in those classes so how can LIHSAA fix that snag?

If you'e going to keep me thinking Mary I shall do the same to you!! lol [the flesh wound has already healed!! lol] /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 09:09 AM
POINTS...we areen't going to change their habits, and the motivation for doing that will not change...the reason they are doing those extra rounds over the same course they will be doing their hunter classes over, is to get an EDGE over the competition, by practicing in advance. Their competition, in turn, is forced to up the ante by doing the same...I repeat, we are not going to change these habits---if you renamed those extra classes "monkey -see-monkey-do" classes, they would still fill, and the managers would still make money on them...I'm not even suggesting that they be eliminated--trainers want them (more money for coaching), managers want them (more money from entries), but we don't have to kid ourselves by calling them "equitation classes", or kid anyone else by contending that they are advancing the art of horsemanship or equitation.

As I've said, we need to start with the youngest riders and develop an alternate path, from scratch, that will serve to keep many riders in the sport who otherwise would drop out for lack of funds or lack of interest in the hunter division, and encourage others to play along as well...that was a "thinking" dart I lobbed at you Deb--no lasting damage could occur!

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 10:57 AM
That one bounced right off!!!

Points. Ahhh. I'm so glad you metioned that word. Last time I took someone to Harrisburgh, Washington or the Hampton Classic for that matter I still missed the warm up class! lol So, When will we all realize we are not preparing our riders for the points we are determied to chase? The eq. classes expecially befor the Zone 2 classes, must go, and put the kids and Adults in the real eq. ring with courses to match. I believe the money for horse show managers and trainers alike will still be there. Then, maybe we will get people to drive over the bridge! Because then, we will have better quality shows. Then the trainers over the bridge will possibly come because they are not watching L.I. give either riding lessons in an open warm up or having 35 ch. eq. kids jump around befor the real deal is going! Now, again, please tell me how LIHSAA can put that in motion?

Flame suit again is on! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 9, 2002, 11:37 AM
But the eq problem has many facets. Trainers flow down the path of least resistance. Many kids and folks don't know the dif between eq and hunters, they rely on their trainers to point them in the right direction. And the direction that is most chosen, because it is the easiest to deal with, is the hunters.

Believe me, I would like nothing better than to see the eq flourish. But you are in a battle with the show managers, the trainers, and the exhibitors. The solution must please everyone- Simple competition for the trainers, financially valuable to the show managers, and enjoyable and goal-oriented for the exhibitors.

PONYPULR
Jan. 9, 2002, 11:40 AM
Does anyone know of a Helen Campbell or a Sabina Rosata?? Helen won a 6th in the Adult PHA and Sabina won 2 mini eq prizes. PLEASE HELP ME FIND THESE PEEPS!!!!

Thank you

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 12:06 PM
with some more of those addresses...still couldn't come up with Helen Campbell but I think we got all the others.

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 12:09 PM
Get the agenda cleared of all the pressing issues that are facing you immediately (website, point keeper, whatever else)...THEN let's put all our heads together and see if we can come up with something for 2003 and beyond....

MCL

"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 9, 2002, 12:41 PM
I did try along with Jimmy sharon and Ms rice to get something going in the equitation division area but .. sadly the daddy who was willing to donate money towards an equitation championship was reallyonly interested in another high score thing.I do think that the inane childrens eq division needs to GO GO GO ( sounds like Colin saying NOW NOW nOW!!).ALL A shows should by the very fact that they are "A "rated not have warm ups.All equitation should be in the big ring except for short stirrup!!
Our problem is getting management and trainers and exhibitors to agree !

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 01:10 PM
As long as we have that 3' Ch. Eq. class befor the childrens hunter with 6's on the outside and 5's down the middle and not once asked to do any test what so ever, don't you think some people would rather take the easy route. I firmly believe, drop that silly class[3' ch. eq] and your L.I. minis will flourish. No money lost to anyone! I beg the horse show managers to try it. Make us trainers work harder and riders learn the real world- PLEASE! Better L.I. all around!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 02:02 PM
for the sake of not ruffling feathers...keep the darn things there in front of the hunter classes---but don't call them "equitation" classes---just call it "monkey see monkey do" or warm-up 1-2-and 3 (I dare anyone to call the spade a spade)...in the meantime, Karin, as I've said, it doesn't take much to hold an eq division, just a set of ribbons in each class and a little creativity...It surely won't come down to only one sponsor. And it won't be an overnight thing, but a gradually implemented, well thought out program-what I have in mind will take 2-3 years at best and probably more like 3-5 well orchestrated years to accomplish. The eq division didn't crumble overnight, it slowly faded away because no one was watching...one day it wasn't really there anymore in a recognizeable form...it will take us some time and alot of effort to resurrect it, but it will be well worth our time and trouble, because Deb, you hit the nail on the head--it will raise everyone's standards!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

gwen
Jan. 9, 2002, 02:12 PM
I'M GAME!!!!! I have never used eq as a warmup...Eq happens to be my favorite..the harder the course, the better AND the more fun it is!!! But I'm an adult..any hope for me???

**Barb**

brilyntrip
Jan. 9, 2002, 02:52 PM
I don't waste my hunters jumps on any childrens eq classes except when there is no schooling class. It's redundant to do both! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

timedjumpoff
Jan. 9, 2002, 03:36 PM
UH OH! All this talk about bigger & better eq
classes and the next thing you know us old adult ammies will have to start worrying again about "heels down."
Long live the jumpers!

(Sorry, just thought a little levity amid all this serious stuff might be good!)

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 04:29 PM
Gone with it I say!! lol Hmmmm I wonder what the horse show manager is planing for the PHA horse show? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Now now jump off. Don't get me started on jumper rider position !! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

deleyer
Jan. 9, 2002, 05:10 PM
Deb, not to get off the subject but I have to get back to the part when you mentioned the last time you went to Harrisburg you missed the warm-up! Deb that really doesnt surprise us when we hear stuff like that, your alarm doesnt go off before 8am to send kids off to school. I cant believe you even would attempt the warm up at Harrisburg. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

deleyer
Jan. 9, 2002, 05:13 PM
Hi Mary, I think I heard you calling my name, I for one can call "A SPADE A SPADE" LOL
Is this the moment I have been waiting for Deb!
LOL,, Just had to break the ice here.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 05:31 PM
lolololol I am picking myself up from under my desk!!!!

QUEEN FEATHER RUFFLER HAS SPOKEN!!!

(What--? Who darest throw the next dart at the QUEEN????)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:14 PM
And I shall quote from the movie 'Nell' You remember that' as I tap you on the forhead Mary! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And for my sister in law. Let me tell you I did make those whatever you want to call them. I prefer, cantering around an indoor arena at some god awful hour. And let me tell you, in my whole life I have never experienced such horor as my alarm sounding off at that time. I admit it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
And yes, I still love ya even though you make fun of my sleeping habits!

brilyntrip
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:20 PM
Yeah I can see that our girl "pajama day woman"
would go into a coma at 2:30 am !!!Which is when I had to get up when I had to get up to school A/As at Harrisburg!!!!!

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:33 PM
How much will you give me to stand at the ingate at Zones this year in my jammies wise guy?! And you know I'll do it!! lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

brilyntrip
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:38 PM
If you do it at 2:30 am I'll give the PHA $300

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:45 PM
I know I vowed to be on a major campaign to raise money for the PHA but wait until my husband hears this one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 06:59 PM
I sense a major fundraiser.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 07:06 PM
"Queen GoldDust Rufflefeathers LIHSAA Pajamathon to Play at Zone II Finals"....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 9, 2002, 07:15 PM
I cannot stop laughing!!!
The idea of Queen Rufflefeathers and her PJ's!!

and at 2:30 am as the drag sweeps the Hburg arena--- flicking sand into her fuzzy bedroom slippers while ponies dance impatiently outside the ingate waiting to enter---AA horses that campaigned all year desperately scraping away at those points arrive at Z2finals only to be confronted with "Queenie!"

--and they thought Grappa went wiggy at the fishpond!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 9, 2002, 07:22 PM
I have never laughed so hard in my life. Pajamathon-Mary, yer killin' me!
Well, I did say at one meeting there is money to be raised in places we never thought of. Who would of known it would be at Zones.
O.K. Karin, remember you said you were coming by one day next week to go over our projects[and by the way, I have been working on the seminar and judges today] If you bring Marys camera,[can we borrow it Mary] we'll let you guys have a seak peek of the attire!

brilyntrip
Jan. 9, 2002, 08:34 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif That I have never ever laughed so hard. Mary has had me going for the entire night and then our own sweet angel princess rufflefeathers has just finished me off!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif My stomach is aching /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 10, 2002, 04:58 AM
BORROW my camera? Not a chance! As newly annointed PHA historian, I submit that it would be my supreme duty to record events firsthand!

PS Where is Janet---she has been gone from this thread awhile; did she die laughing before she could reach her keyboard to peck out a virtual cry for help? Or is she walking up and down the LIE calling out for Helen Campbell?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 10, 2002, 06:47 AM
YOU Mary can now be official PHA comedian lolol

timedjumpoff
Jan. 10, 2002, 08:05 AM
Maybe its because I haven't slept since
Tuesday (finishing a project) that most of this thread is over my head. It's FUNNY, even though I don't think I get a lot of the jokes. Come to think of it I don't ever "get" most of the jokes. Just ask the Sicilian!

Is there a book, a place, a website where I could
learn what all these internet abbreviations
mean. I hate it when I can't figure out some of the real gobbledegooks of letters.

Deb...I think Fredericks of Hollywood has some new jammies waiting for you. Bet you get more than $300 in them!

Later...

Gold Dust
Jan. 10, 2002, 08:16 AM
although the beauty of this is I can do some of my work in my jammies!

The spring seminar. Karin recieved an invite to a LIHS meeting to be held at Yaphank. If they have a building large enough to hold our seminar there,what is the opinion on that? I have a call in to Tabitha and I will find out if in deed they have one. I bet it would not be as much as the Holiday Inn!

Jump off- lesson 1. OMG= Oh My God!

Mary- I went to the visual of Janet wandering down the LIE. It is hysterical!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 10, 2002, 08:24 AM
huh? not sure what this means....

Yaphank has buildings/classrooms for all sorts of things--if we can take advantage of these it would be great! Someone said that the rooms are kind of class-roomy, but, hey that's what a seminar is really all about, and if it's significantly less expensive to use than Holiday Inn etc then we should save our pennies for the footing/beautification fund.

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 10, 2002, 08:28 AM
= Long Island Horsemens Society. It is a local club that runs unrated horse shows. You've judged some of them!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 10, 2002, 08:31 AM
oh, ok...was that one @ Joyce's awhile back one of those? That was a long time ago....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 10, 2002, 09:35 AM
Unfortunatly I just got off the phone with Tabitha and the biggest room only holds about 60 so I am on to plan B !
Janet, call me. You could be of service on this one!

brilyntrip
Jan. 10, 2002, 10:32 AM
that anything in the Fredericks of Hollywood catalogue would suit our purposes here!!! We do not want a hooker at the ingate of zone 2 finals thank you!We were more interested in a sleepy cozy MOMMY thing!! As in Debbie /Mommy getting up taking the kids to the schoolbus and then going back to sleep!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by brilyntrip on Jan. 10, 2002 at 12:49 PM.]

timedjumpoff
Jan. 10, 2002, 12:10 PM
I know you couldn't possibly have taken that
"Fredericks" idea seriously. No...not some
one with such a penchant for understatement.

I hope Gold...didn't as well. Now, not only don't I get most of the jokes, no one gets mine either!

Besides, I wouldn't want to give my trainer heart failure just when he's stopped smoking (or is that yesterday's news?). I have enough opportunities to do that in my lessons! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

So much for joke telling. At least I'm providing fresh fodder for those pathetic souls who have no lives, and nothing better to do than slander and misquote others online. They must do it to amuse each other, misery loves company, especially as no one else seems to know what the heck it is they're whining about.

CAUTION! Think twice, anyone, before voicing an opinion, or you too could become the next object of their obsession!

Gold Dust
Jan. 10, 2002, 01:57 PM
Jump off- Laughing myself !!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 10, 2002, 03:14 PM
this is a looooooooong time for her to go without posting.....especially when we're being so seeeeeerrrrrriiiiiioussss about fundraising...maybe she is out shopping for orange pajamas?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 10, 2002, 03:54 PM
and believes we all have gone over the edge!

Actually, I am now on to plan C waiting for a return phone call on that. I still am trying to find a centrally located facility. Unless it is a free facility or much less then the Holiday Inn, as of now I feel it best to stay there. But, I have not finished pounding the pavement!

PONYPULR
Jan. 11, 2002, 07:34 AM
I must say, it is very nice ofyou guys to miss me!! Thank you!!

I have been working on the orphans and still need to know about Helen Campbell and Sabina Rosata. Maybe I will consult Marie and see if they are on her roster. Also emailed Laura and have not heard back yet about bringing some programs and pens with her to the meeting so I can put send them with the orphans.

Also was occupied getting a horse in from VA. One of my old horses, March On. He's for sale/lease, if anyone is interested.

So, sorry I missed all the pajama discussion! Back to business!!

I hope you, Deb, have been keeping a list of topics we need to bring up Monday night. I'd like to see meetings of the different committees start to convene. There is a lot to hash out and smaller groups would be better. But you may be right, the whole group may be smaller- Does everyone know about the meeting?

Gold Dust
Jan. 11, 2002, 08:47 AM
Last report Karin has not contacted George due to the only # we have does not have a machine. All others have been notified.
Man do I have a list but it's in my head so I shall put it all in writting!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 11, 2002, 09:28 AM
Rosata's address...

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

PONYPULR
Jan. 11, 2002, 10:15 AM
Mary-
Thank you, but I want to make sure Solina is Sabina or things will be in worse shape than they already are!

PONYPULR
Jan. 12, 2002, 05:15 PM
I can't believe I was the last one to post!!! Where are all you guys??? A little nice weather and no one's at their computer.....

Gold Dust
Jan. 12, 2002, 05:51 PM
Now you know what is going to happen when the next snow storm hits. You have the pre heads up Janet.

For all who have been calling and e-mailing me asking for info. on the PHA, thanks for getting interested. For all you lurking non PHA members-Be brave-take the first step! lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

brilyntrip
Jan. 12, 2002, 05:58 PM
Gdust and I got our jollies earlier this week now we are caput!! We are waiting fo rother brave souls to come out of their computer screens! Deb it was sooo fun! Mary did it its her fault!!

Gold Dust
Jan. 12, 2002, 06:02 PM
SHE STARTED IT

brilyntrip
Jan. 12, 2002, 06:19 PM
she did she did it all !!!!!She made us do it!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 12, 2002, 07:46 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif MOI???????????

ok, I was going to grow up already, but.....I can't resist....(told you I had one left up my sleeve Deb!!)

(I've been writing too many serious posts today....have to lighten up.....)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 12, 2002, 08:20 PM
in your presence! 'The Master' I have deemed your new title. Never under estimate the powers of your fellow piers. No more sweet Mrs. O'Conner for you!
Too funny Mary! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 12, 2002, 08:54 PM
where is that blushing icon?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Jane
Jan. 13, 2002, 12:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gold Dust:
SHE STARTED IT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Where is that CR ROTF icon when you need it??!! I'll have to speak to Erin about getting one on COTH! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lovemybailey
Jan. 13, 2002, 02:42 PM
I almost fell on the floor when I saw that picture Deb!! You have to go to Zones like that, but PHA has to be given a little more than $300!! hahaha!! Bailey was good today, right deb?? haha hopefully there will be no wind at all on thursday and sunday!!!

GinnyRice
Jan. 13, 2002, 03:21 PM
The LIHSAA does specify the height of the fences in the pre-Childrens and Childrens. I agree with Mary, there should be only one height for the pre-children's - makes life a lot simpler for all concerned. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 13, 2002, 03:39 PM
it is the CHILDREN who ride the ponies--the Children's Eq was 2'3" last year--3" higher than the Sm/Med Ch and 3" lower than the Lg. Children's--doesn't make sense!!

Pre-Children's eq was 2 feet--I presume will be the same, but since we do the Sm/Med Children's on Shoo Shoo we can't do that eq.

Anyway, I think the Children should Eq. at the same height they Hunt.--easier all around on everyone.

And all of above is separate issue from my "Equitation Crusade."

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

touchstone-
Jan. 13, 2002, 03:43 PM
I realize that the topic has strayed somewhat, but I've been away and am just catching up, and this is a topic that I've thought about quite a bit.

The "dumbing down" of the Long Island equitation divisions is both an unfortunate and a complicated problem, but I think that it is a trend that may be more rooted in local custom than anything else.

I think for sure that creating some type of meaningful year-end finals in the equitation would be a super incentive for people to compete in the classes and aspire to more demanding course design and testing. Just look across the Sound where a whole bunch of local medal finals are getting riders serious and competative about equitation--from the "mini-medal" level at 2'6" through Junior and Adult medals at 3' The New England Finals is an incredible feat, but even some of the smaller programs are accomplishing the goals you've all been talking about. I went to the Rhode Island Medal finals, where 11 and 12 year old mini-medlars were asked to trot a fence, halt, and do three simple changes down a long side, and all four of the kids nailed the test!

I think that the point-chasing inherent in having equitation divisions with no other year end goal makes people disinclined to take equitation seriously. Especially for those who also show in the hunters, it's pretty daunting to keep up two divisions on a regular show schedule without pounding your horse into the ground, but I suspect if medal classes with difficult but reasonable qualification critera (say one win or some small number of points) would qualify riders for the finals, then people could plan their shows so that they can qualify, and prepare for the real equitation tests of a rigorous year-end final without feeling like the decision to do the equitation means a year-long point-chasing committment.

With regard to the adult equitators (a group to which I admit inclusion), competing this summer, I was often more frustrated by the low ambitions of horse show managers than the lack of seriousness among my competitors. Anyone who takes equitation at all seriously gets a little bit frustrated by 2'6" hunter courses with little testing. At one show the PHA was held without tests, because, as the gatekeeper explained "For the adults, getting around the course is the test." How can you motivate people to come to shows to compete in a division where the classes are never held to specifications? By the end of the season, several people had simply given up on the division and moved on to the jumpers and it wasn't until the Hampton Classic--the only place I saw really good course design and real 3' fences--that the hordes came out to compete.

For the junior equitation, a quality Children's division seems like a good place to start, since it seems like equitation is definitely getting ignored at the upper levels--for most of the season, it was a real struggle to fill Medal and Maclay classes (not to mention the USET!). With so many quality riders, trainers, and animals on the Island, it seemed curious to me that so few set their sights above the level of the 3' hunter, and I agree with several of the posters that developing some type of "ladder" program that helps riders grow will encourage more to aspire to higher levels and to the equitation division in particular.

Gold Dust
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:21 PM
I think for sure that creating some type of meaningful year-end finals in the equitation would be a super incentive for people to compete in the classes and aspire to more demanding course design and testing.

Great post but I must say. Although not a huge award but the mini's are and end of the year award already. So, as long as they use that 3' Ch. eq. in the hunter ring it will never be on the uphill swing. You could get the 5 out of the 30 that do that class for real eq. reasons that take the easy way out, and force them over to the main ring! And, it will force the Ch.Hunter riders to polish skills without having 6 classes to do befor the real thing! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 13, 2002, 04:28 PM
first part is a quote from touchstone. Sorry guys!!

brilyntrip
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:40 PM
We are getting people from off L.I. hahahah and its all due to our own Mary and her talents at CREATING pictures that we all enjoy!
Bailey you are a good EGG!
About the childrens eq division it should be 2foot for sm /med and 2'6" for larges 3 foot for horses.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 13, 2002, 07:47 PM
they are simply not prepared in terms of exposure to classes with courses that ask questions about what they should be expected to know in those classes in the main ring. It's all well and good to want to move the eq riders over to the main ring, but what we lack is a system that will prepare them for the move.

Remember when the Maiden was 2x around, the Novice was up the middle, the Limit included an in and out and 2 changes of direction, and the Intermediate/Minis were identical to the big eq's but 6" lower? Now the SS hunter kids move on to the Children's courses without even noticing--no in and out in most eq classes before mini's--basically, its just outside outside inside inside all the way. No wonder they get to the main ring and are floundering!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

PONYPULR
Jan. 14, 2002, 07:55 AM
They are a course designer's and jump crew's nightmare!! Each size of horse/pony has their own length and it must be changed accordingly. Hence, the In And Out has been phased out.

About year end finals as incentive for the Eq groups- It has been done in the past and that is where it died. The whole lack of interest comes from laziness. The eq is to challenging and, for most, the easy road is the way they go. The Easy Road is the hunters.

I did the eq as an adult as it was dying. One attempt to fix it was to lower the fences, so it went from 3' to 2'6". Then the idea to put those classes in front of the hunter groups on the hunt course to encourage more entrants was attempted. I don't think that worked either. Making things simpler did not work. But, I don't think making them more challenging will either. How about putting the eq classes in front of their respective jumper divisions in the jumper ring? And don't allow schooling in that ring. They'd have to use those classes if they want to school.

I believe the answer lies much deeper than some quick fix, however.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 14, 2002, 09:20 AM
<<They are a course designer's and jump crew's nightmare!! Each size of horse/pony has their own length and it must be changed accordingly. Hence, the In And Out has been phased out.>>

There is no denying that using combinations presents challenges to show management in that course designers and jump crew need to be knowledgeable and ambitious enough to adjust the distances according to specified fence height and the size of the horses...but to suggest that the deliberate "phasing out" of these obstacles is an acceptable management response to the prospect of extra work, is to admit that laziness would seem be a vice that management and exhibitors have both been guilty of...if so, we are paying the price in terms of an unprepared and/or unambitious equestrian community!

At this point, there is no amount of minor schedule tinkering that will quickly return riders to the equitation division. A long term program for rider development needs to be put in place--this will require cooperation and coordination from many different parts of the equestrian community--the benefit will be more competent riders, and the prospect that moving out won't be the only option for those with the ambition to move up.

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Jan. 14, 2002 at 01:46 PM.]

touchstone-
Jan. 14, 2002, 01:31 PM
I'm not so sure that developing a quality equitation division requires such a major overhaul; I think instead that integrating quality equitation classes into the existing framework is possible and could be a reasonable way to begin.

Even with the most basic hunter course design, it's still quite possible to create a decent equitation course--by asking for a bending line from the in on one diagonal line to the out of the other, by adding rollback turns, by moving just one or two fences, etc. . .
If management and course designers were committed to quality equitation course building, then they could leave them where they are at the one day shows (right in front of the adult and children's hunters to keep things convenient for the exhibitors) but still ask equitation questions--and the occasional test wouldn't hurt either.

I don't think that this is just a question of what ring you're riding in--I think that the answer is quality medal classes to prepare riders for the Long Island medals, and hopefully, down the road the medal and maclay.

Why not design real but reasonable equitation courses in the hunter ring at 2'6"--and call those your "mini-medals," step up the prestige of the Long Island medals by allowing your medal and maclay riders to compete in them too *and* building a quality finals with lots of hype, good judging, serious prizes, and tons of testing? Then, you have a reasonable and convenient introduction to real equitation for the originally-hunter-oriented riders (and not just a hunter warm up), and a set of clear goals in sight so the Medal and Maclay kids get a real education that prepares them for the rigors of the courses and for the experience of riding in the finals.

I hate to keep harping on New England, because I know it's a different place with a different tradition, but here they've really gotten it right and it was a big shock for me when I left Long Island for college and saw how integrated equitation is into the whole fabric of riding and horse showing around here. What they seem to do really well is create quality medal classes at a variety of levels and to establish reasonable qualification standards so riders have year-end goals without having to chase points all season, and have the ability to ride in a real equitation finals even if they can't afford to go to Harrisburgh.

I say scrap the children's equitation division, and replace it with some type of lower level medal program that can exist in the same ring at the same time.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:40 AM
The fact is, touchstone, that the "equitation culture" that used to exist on LI is largely gone...yes, it is possible to jump the hunter fences in a different order and tell the judge that an equitation class is being held, but that by itself will not restore the division. Competitors today are largely not interested in the division period, as anything other than a preview of the jumps they will be facing in their "real" classes, the ones that will earn them zone points or LIHSAA hunter points...your point, however, about New England is excellent, and I think that once the LIHSAA board gets the immediate future organized that it would behoove us to send a delegation up to observe their system in action, and consider whether a similar set of incentives could be adapted to our locale. I have judged some shows in Mass. where I was really impressed by the quality of the riding (from thier equipment, it was obvious that some of these were "crossovers" from eventing and dressage) in the equitation divisions and the popularity of these classes.

But good riders don't simply "appear" at the 3' level--there has to be a "ladder" in place--and our "ladder" has several shakey rungs, and a few missing ones. We have: an excellent beginner division at the Rice shows, a very overworked short stirrup division, where riders are as likely to be in over their heads as they are parked for years racking up the high score points, pre-childrens equitation (a MESS if I ever saw one--tell me, along with splitting the PC hunters into horse/pony sections, will they also be doing this with PC equitation?), and then the children's equitation, low, up till now at 2'3", and high at 2'6"--all over the hunter courses...then the minis in the main ring, and the big eq. It is no wonder that many of the minis seem to be taking their lives in their hands each time they enter the ring, and that the big eqs are practically extinct! No, simple tinkering is not what is called for here--goals need to be agreed upon, incentives need to be put in place, and good riding/training needs to be rewarded. A long term sort of project, not a quick-fix. Quick fixes do not pay off in the long run.

BTW, would someone please bring us up to date on significant developments LIHSAA-wise following last night's board meeting? (huh, huh, huh>tell us, tell us!)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Jan. 15, 2002 at 08:48 AM.]

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:09 AM
Quick re-cap of last nights meeting. First, Claire has officialy become web-master!! yay. She will begin work immediatly and a site should be up befor you know it. Karin Immerman will be point recorder at this time, and soon we believe Claire will be able to handle that on her own being she will be so busy just starting the site itself! Betty Cantor also will be guiding Claire. I personally would like to thank Karin for taking on yet another task!

We also talked about fines with the shows that do not send results in quick enough and just simply do not comply with rules made by LIHSAA. Personally, I saw a very weak board that needs to toughen up. Sorry, lay the law down and stop tip toe ing around the tulips. Break the rules, pay a fine. Do not show up to 2 meetings in a row- loose your seat on the board. End of story. If LIHSAA wants to make a difference and be heard, THEN BE HEARD! The changing of eq. is all mute if we do not get tough within our own oranization!
Some were quick enough to express how the jammie conversation got out of control on this thread. Of all the issues we have, this is the least of our worries. At least that stupid picture got people to come to the thread and at least read up on things if anything! It showed people that we are not a bunch of stuffy pros and how you can have fun and get involved. And, is this not our goal, smooth operation with more people that want to get involved?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

[This message was edited by Gold Dust on Jan. 15, 2002 at 09:25 AM.]

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:26 AM
"lite" will surely be a thing of the past when our time is filled with substantive issues! If anyone found time to speak for more than 2 short secs on the PJ subject (and then only to join in on the joke) they were missing the point of what they were there to do, and not paying enough attention to solving the problems we face!! Will there be official minutes available to anyone on request? I for one, would like to know the identity of anyone who would think it is more important to discuss the content of an informal conversation than to attend to official business!

AND IF THIS DART DOES NOT HIT ITS TARGET I WILL BE HAPPY TO FIRE AS MANY MORE AS IT TAKES!!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:51 AM
Actually Mary, 'that' topic did not last very long but it made me walk away from the meeting shaking my head wondering how the infamous Aug. 14th horse show is probably going to get a slap on the wrist, but, the 'picture' on this thread was 'ridiculous'. I'll tell ya what is ridiculous!! Figure that one out for yourselves!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Minutes should be available to all. Karin may be busy trying to compile that in to a orderly paper! lol
Sorry to come on so strong but it is no secret I am opinionated and watched the room carefully last night. From my side looking at it, It needs major tweaking!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:34 AM
Well, at least they got that part of it right!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Jan. 15, 2002 at 01:24 PM.]

timedjumpoff
Jan. 15, 2002, 11:15 AM
Golddust has the right idea and
at least 2 supporters from the city.
Glad to help out in any way we can.
Just ask!

PONYPULR
Jan. 15, 2002, 11:52 AM
The "jammie" topic was brought up in connection with the idea of having our own message board on the new website. Laura does not want trivial conversation that could be done through email on the message board. Enter the "jammie" topic. And, as we all know, Laura does not like us to stray off topic. That's a perfectly legitimate opinion.

I can only speak for myself, an interested advertiser. Whatever keeps peeps coming back to the website is ok with me. However, I would be more concerned about rude, unsportsmanlike conversation. But I do think that can easily be monitered. I would be glad to have that job.

deleyer
Jan. 15, 2002, 12:28 PM
I hope you all can deal with only serious conversations on this website, so here are some of my beefs, 1) How come my husband or I or even for that fact a customer get invitations to the dinner dance.
2) How come I found out at the table I sat at that an insert told me that I wasnt getting ribbon. "Wow what a perfect time to find out huh" Next time the committee can explain to my customer why they came for nothing......
3) This is just a question, has anyone broken any of the bylaws since they have been effect??? If so did you take care of it the way it is suppose to be taken care of. I hope so, because then I and everyone else will have a real serious attitude of the ways things are being handled in such an early start of our upcoming and improving year that was promised.

A little fun like the Jammie topic was all innocent fun, believe it or not it called just being HUMAN!!! But I see how serious you want this website to be. So answer my questions with ligit answers!!!! Because this is no joking matter. As you mention to us all Laura doesnt like to stray off the topic so I will be waiting to read the answers to my questions. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lovemybailey
Jan. 15, 2002, 01:17 PM
I think lowering the mini medal class would be a great idea because it would give the people who entered the division something to start with if they are willing to work up to the maclay division and other higher divisions. As for myself and my horse, since he is a small horse and is unable to jump a 3' course clean, there is no other division that would count toward an end of the year award that we could do after finishing up with pre-children's hunter this year. Therefore, lowering the mini division would be quite helpful. Maybe I shoudln't be stating the problems of my horse and I but I just feel that I should agree with touchstone and put in some input on the subject. If I said something wrong let me know, as for I am just a teenage equestrian enjoying the one sport I plan on sticking with for life. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 02:46 PM
I must INSIST that there should also be room left in our lives AND on our WEBSITE for good old-fashioned FUN and LAUGHTER--remember that this is a SPORT; IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!!!! A commodity that has been in very short supply these past few months...I do not see the harm in allowing the conversation to LIGHTEN UP from time to time!!

Janet's point about drawing traffic to the website is a good one--stuffy and serious 100% of the time is for sad, dull, witless people--we are MUCH MORE INTERESTING than that------>hence, no harm done by having a good laugh once in awhile-------> the website will be more INTERESTING and FUN if that is so, not just a gathering place for those obsessed with pointcounting and year-end awards....if I buy a banner ad, I want FUN people (with killer instincts, of course) to respond to it!!!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 02:51 PM
sorry bailey, but the answer is not to lower the jumps in yet another division---However, your plight does illustrate the need to fill in the missing rungs on our ladder; an important issue that needs to be addressed for all the reasons I have already stated on this thread when I wasn't preoccupied with sewing Deb's head to the nightgown.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:10 PM
Points being made. Points to listen to. And not the countable ones!! I think what LIHSAA needs to understand is, you have had these rules, chose not to enforce them. Do not blame the newbies and the masses for not seeing the logic in this. Not to stray from the topic,Jeez, I've seen topics that have been tried to put in the stray bin right in front of me! Seen eyes roll in a room so the nature of myself is to challenge that. I hate to hear the rolling eyes saying'nothings going to change'. THEY WILL [if I have anything to say about it LOL] What you need to understand is I believe in the PHA and LIHSAA and will fight for the improvement in both. Not just because she is my sister in law but what do you say to those comments? She is 100% correct.

As far as the website. It is called a moderator and Janet has already volunteered to handle any moderating. We need to hear the publics opinions weather we want to hear some things or not and yup, a little humor never hurt anyone. Most phone calls I recieve are people thinking its a room full of snobs and why get in their car to come to a meeting and get involved. I think Marys cut and paste job really showed the masses we are human!

[This message was edited by Gold Dust on Jan. 15, 2002 at 06:45 PM.]

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lovemybailey:
I think lowering the mini medal class would be a great idea :<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do have the pre-minis at some shows. Even though it is not end of year it is a step in the introduction to the minis. Love to see this become popular instead of that pre-childres eq. that is a glorified hunter class.
That's where we are heading Morgan!!!!

lovemybailey
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:25 PM
Deb I agree with you and deleyer on hundred percent, plus this site is to share our thoughts on the island's latest equestrian news and to share our love of horses with each other. M. O'Connor, its okay I just thought I would give a little input, although I probably didn't do very much and lowering the jumps I guess really isn't the answer here. Thank you for listening though! I will try and think of some other ideas, but I don't think any of my personal ideas would help! /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:43 PM
OOOOPS! Wrong again bailey!!! Your personal ideas come from being out there in the field, and we need to hear them loud and clear--keep those ideas coming our way!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

lovemybailey
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:57 PM
M. O'Connor - You are right, once again, and I will keep them coming! Thanks a bunch for helping me realize that my ideas may make a difference in the equestrian community here on Long Island! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

touchstone-
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:14 PM
". . .goals need to be agreed upon, incentives need to be put in place, and good riding/training needs to be rewarded. A long term sort of project, not a quick-fix. Quick fixes do not pay off in the long run."

I'm not so sure that we're disagreeing here, but it's tough to create incentives (which means both luring people away from the hunter divisions and making them realize that the endeavor is worthwhile) without addressing the fact that people are not thinking outside of the box very much.

I think that Bailey is a perfect example of someone that could benefit from a "mini-medal" program at 2'6" She has a horse of limited scope, and without a lot of experience jumping jumper jumps but she's interested in answering equitation questions and learning more than the simple outside-diagonal pre-children's hunter course is going to teach her.

I'm not saying just lower the jumps and move the divisons around, I'm saying have medal programs at three levels:
1) Mini at 2'6", usually in the hunter ring before the children's division. Maybe some people will just use it to show their horses the hunter jumps, but maybe that's what it'll take to make them realize that equitation is a lot more interesting and difficult than what they're used to. The jumps will be a notch down, which will make the tougher course design seem less intimidating--but it also allows those pony riders who are interested to compete there too.
2) Long Island junior/adult medals at 3' in the main ring. Leave this division essentially how it is, but now people have a lower level medal program to expose them to some of the course questions and tests that they will see at this level.
3) Medal/Maclay/USET

"Pre-minis" might be all well and good, but it's about the most condescending division name that I can think of (even worse than Pre-Children's--which it's a couple of notches above!), and I think that the fact that those classes are always in the main ring makes them seem incompatible for most of the children's hunter riders.

The other incentive that I see as a really crucial motivator (sorry to keep repeating myself) is having a prestigious finals at each of these levels--not integrated into regular horse shows, but as a separate (possibly indoor) finals event that will help prepare the mini riders for the junior medals and will prepare our Big Eq kids for the national finals.

If qualifying for the finals is the goal instead of winning the LIHSAA award then the program has the added benefit of being affordable and attainable to a much wider audience--a benefit that may well attract exhibitors away from the hunters.

Gold Dust
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:04 PM
I believe the more we talk about this on line, the more the awareness level goes up on what L.I. is lacking in its divisions that actually prepare children to move up the ladder.
I guess my student has become a little bit of an example on where to go from here! Here is a horse that does not have the scope to do 3'[but such a good boy!!]and is in its last year of competition in the pre-ch.hunter division[2'6"] What is really available to her? Now that maiden,novice, limit is gone we need another option to choose.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:13 PM
I don't think what we're discussing is "luring people away from the hunter rings...." People are happy there, they have an incentive, and they like playing that game. What we are talking about is providing an alternate path for the baileys on the LI circuit; she isn't headed for the hunter ring, and won't be playing that game--she needs an altogether different playing field, because the one we have is full of holes. I agree that a finals should be part of the picture-probably a primary focus, as opposed to a high score award; that's more constructive for equitation, and more conducive to encouraging people to move up.

An interesting side note that I just remembered...there used to be Maiden, Novice, and Limit at the Hampton Classic at the end of the season...at the beginning of the demise of these divisions years ago, I attended my first PHA meeting, and nearly dropped down dead of shock, as I heard people lobbying to drop these divisions from shows preceeding the Hampton Classic in favor of a generic "children's" equitation division....the reasoning? Kids would be "winning out" of the divisions, and ineligible to enter, say, Maiden at the Hampton Classic if they had won a blue elsewhere earlier in the season...moving up to Novice would mean they'd be facing stiffer competition, etc, etc...So, the divisions that had restrictions as to winnings (and that had exact specifications as to course requirements, etc) were dropped, not just at the Classic, but at all the other shows as well...there is no restriction as to winnings, only prohibitions about cross-entering...when you begin to look closely at what we have going on now, it becomes apparent that "overhaul" is really the way to go! This discussion, and more like it, is what we need to get the ball rolling....(oh why did I have to come up with THAT word!!??...I'm trying mightily to resist making ANY COMMENT AT ALL about the SOUND of rolling eyes......... 1-2-3-4--5 ---6---7-8------ 9--------10............doing my best to stay s-e-r-i-o-u-s-here .........)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

GinnyRice
Jan. 16, 2002, 09:42 AM
At the Winner's Circle Horse Shows, we have Pre-Mini classes (know you don't like the "Mini" name), but we have these classes, if there is enough interest we will run a Final in the Fall or indoors - just let us know. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GinnyRice
Jan. 16, 2002, 09:47 AM
I agree that a little humor is a good thing and I'm sure we can have a moderator take care of our message board so it does not get out of hand - a message board should be INTERESTING!! the more interesting the more visitors and that's what we want. Go for it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 16, 2002, 01:53 PM
the Rice shows have the BEST equitation divisions left on LI....their beginner division that bridges the gap between Leadline and SS is wonderful!!!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

PONYPULR
Jan. 16, 2002, 04:57 PM
All were concerned with kids flying through the MNL Ladder System all in one year. I found that a bit ridiculous. The system is set up so that once a kid wins at a certain level, he/she moves on to the next level. Sort of like an arcade or video game. The concept did not allow good riders to stay in Maiden very long. But getting out of Novice took a bit longer, and Limit, longer still. But no one wanted to look past the Getting-Out-of-Maiden-Too-Fast panic.

The Ladder System worked well and should be reconsidered.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 16, 2002, 05:34 PM
trainers with forceful attitudes to manipulate the system to improve their chances of having students get a ribbon at the Hampton Classic. There was nothing wrong with the ladder system using Maiden, Novice, Limit--there are specific course requirements for each listed in the rulebook that foster increasing skill level as a rider moves up through the divisions. And the riders felt as if they'd achieved something by winning their way up the ladder...Contrast with today's classes, where the beginning kids are always up against someone better than they are because the winners aren't moving up and out, they are just there week after week. Talk about destroying incentive!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 17, 2002, 06:28 AM
mainly because I have been collecting pictures and making sure that each and every rule is met and followed!I plan on sending them today!
To the Lihsaa meeting ,while I understand what gdust is saying but I assure you The rules will be folowed to a tee as of this year there will be no more BYES so to speak!
I think that Bulletin Boards have become a fun way of communicating betwen friends in todays times .As long as things stay reasonable I don't see why having one should be a problem.I am planning initiating the points charts this week so that when Claire is done with the website the first of the points can be posted .
One thing is for sure it will be fun to have FUN and get things started !

lovemybailey
Jan. 17, 2002, 06:36 AM
Is the new website for LIHSAA going to still be www.lihsaa.com (http://www.lihsaa.com) or is it going to be a new site? If its going to be a new site what will the address be? Thanks!

PONYPULR
Jan. 17, 2002, 07:47 AM
The address to the new website will be something new. And the website is being worked on as we all type. All in due time. Let's be happy it is in the works.

And Goldust just reminded me of another topic that was brought up at the meeting. Michael wants to give this point thing another try. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Don't worry, Angry Villagers, we put that idea to rest.

And on the point person note- Please, EVERYONE, let's make this job as stress-free for Karin as we possibly can. No calling at all hours of the night, and have your points in order and with you when you call. And most of all- KEEP TRACK OF YOUR OWN POINTS.

I wish you all the luck in the world, Karin. And...I'm here for you. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 17, 2002, 09:41 AM
First off- For you Mary /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Now-I can only hope that this thread has sparked a flame in seeing what the lack of eq. and glorified warm up classes may do to L.I. down the road. Yes, the Rices have that pre-mini class and I am going to check it out. It seems a much better avenue to persue. I, personally never liked the idea of eq. classes in the hunter ring. I also learned early on how, all thses classes do is get your riders soft and not ready for zones, NAL's Washington and so on! No warm ups or pre- divisions in that world!

As for the website! I for one am real excited and look forward to our own website. A web site for the people. And, thanks guys for agreeing with me that a little chit chat and fun is not a bad thing. Sorry Laura but the old LIHSAA thinking needs to go.

And, for LIHSAA. Thanks for understanding what point I am trying to get across Karin. The old LIHSAA moved to slow, didn't care, and did not want to ruffle feathers. Some people took advantage of that so look at the mess that was created. I only try to get you posters to put those feeling down on this keyboard so people from the old LIHSAA really know how you feel. Trust me, some don't. So, with the old to guide and the new to put the urgency in this association, Possibly, we have a second chance! So, I shall play the bad guy role but never forget, it is because I do care!

Oh, and Mary- /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif [with sound effects!]

DarkerHorse
Jan. 17, 2002, 07:18 PM
You didn't take any pictures of h.o.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-----
http://www.catchride.com
http://forums.catchride.com

Jane
Jan. 17, 2002, 11:48 PM
I don't see any harm in having some laughs on the BB either...in moderation, of course, such as the jammie saga. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the new website. Now, will it be accessible as soon as there are decent amount of info on it?

brilyntrip
Jan. 18, 2002, 05:04 AM
I did and Im gonna post them when I figure it out hahaha a and what a H.O. it was

PONYPULR
Jan. 18, 2002, 06:18 AM
But what is an "H.O."??? If this is not on topic, email me!!! Wouldn't want to stray off too far.

Website news-
Claire is busy getting the domain name and doing the initial set up. She has found a host that will offer elaborate things for the future. I think it is fair to say that she will need at least 2 weeks before it is revealed to the public. Let's give her room to work, ok?? Trust me on this one, it will all happen in due time. But a little hint, I think it's gonna be pretty KEWELL!!!!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 18, 2002, 06:26 AM
.......ah-ha! I get it.......

um.....I think I'll just stick to the sound effects on the /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 18, 2002, 06:58 AM
MUHAHA

Jane
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:11 AM
Oh Janet, you're gonna be sorry you asked. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:17 AM
HUMOR TOPIC!!!! ALL THOSE OPPOSED TO HUMOR ARE HEREBY WARNED THAT EXPOSURE TO HUMOR MAY RESULT IN HIGHLY CONTAGEOUS DISPERSAL OF GIGGLING, LAUGHING, JUVENILE BEHAVIOR, AND UNCONTROLLABLE FITS. THEREFORE, THOSE WHO ARE OPPOSED TO THE INCLUSION OF HUMOR IN THE COURSE OF DISCUSSION OF MORE SERIOUS TOPICS ARE ADVISED TO PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:18 AM
I look forward to its debut! Should not be that long at all! Claire has been looking in to so many things for us.
She was the right person to choose for this adventure! Thanks Claire.
Karin has been very busy getting her chronicle pictures out, letters to horse show mangers with rules and spec changes, checking in to judges for our show and possible speakers at the seminar. Once the site is up her and Claire will begin to set up there point tabulating system. Can we all thank Karin for caring enough to take on these jobs!
And, you wonder why I keep asking for new active members for the PHA. Last I looked, none of us pulled a Bewitched and twiched our nose and 'poof' this stuff just appears! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Jane, loved that saying, I may need to steal that and use that like Janet does that 55 thing. How the heck do you do that anyways!!? Must I purchase the rights from you or just give you credit! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif lol

PONYPULR
Jan. 18, 2002, 09:57 AM
And I now know what "H.O." stands for. Allow me to practice for our own website's message board- Please keep the topic to good natured fun. There should be no humor at someone else's expense. You guys are treading on thin ice here.

OK, how'd I do???

Now trash away!!!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 18, 2002, 01:17 PM
ten foot pole!!! Reminder--to an exhibitionist, any publicity is good publicity--therefore, it is preferable and most constructive for the befefit of all that they get NO publicity!!! (ie it's time to apply the brakes!!!!!!)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 18, 2002, 01:19 PM
I swore for one second that Erin from the office here, just stormed in the room!! lol
Like I said, it's called a moderator. And you seem to have the lingo down girl! lol

brilyntrip
Jan. 18, 2002, 03:56 PM
whatever it is you go MARY!

PONYPULR
Jan. 19, 2002, 08:24 AM
I'm so excited that it's going to snow!!! But will somebody let me know if Theresa cancels her show tomorrow? I'm going come hell or high snow!!!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 19, 2002, 09:21 AM
...my horse is living in the lap of luxury for a month or so, and I went out for an early morning ride...(very proud of my boy for remaining cool and calm in the presense of 5 other horses and 3 screaming trainers and it was only his third time in the indoor and second time being worked in the company of other horses at all ever in his life---do I sound happy or WHAT???) so far all systems seem to be a go--I'll let you know if I hear anything different as I am bringing Karin's tommorow....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 19, 2002, 10:09 AM
I told my special hunter[1st class of the morning] we are staying home. I told the other 3 we will make that call because we do not have to leave until early afternoon! Been stuck in the snow once, never again!!! I too have heard rumors of possible cancel of the show but we are at different ends of the Island!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 19, 2002, 12:38 PM
so I'll be sure and swing by SPF to check out the latest word...we are plannig on a 6am push off, so that means leaving @ 5:30am for me...I sure will be feeling foolish if there is no show!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 19, 2002, 03:23 PM
No change @ SPF; barring an unforseen blizzard overnight (which isn't seeming likely) tomorrow's forecast is for sun and 40F....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 19, 2002, 04:45 PM
I called at 4 pm and they are still on!!1

lovemybailey
Jan. 19, 2002, 05:10 PM
I hope I can still show tomorrow, especially since I last showed on December 9th!!! haha!

goneriding
Jan. 19, 2002, 05:21 PM
Good luck to everyone showing! I will think of you all while in my pajamas with a nice hot cup of coffee at 9am! hee hee There ARE some advantages to being horselesss!!!! Sleeping late sundays is one of them.... (at least in the middle of winter)

Gold Dust
Jan. 19, 2002, 05:24 PM
Did someone say pajamas? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 19, 2002, 07:09 PM
OK- I don't have to leave here till 10:00 tomorrow. If it has been cancelled PLEASE let me know prior to my ETD!! Thanks!!!

PONYPULR
Jan. 19, 2002, 07:42 PM
Word has it the show has been cancelled. Patrick called Chris Deleyer, who called Deb, who just called me. Nuts.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 19, 2002, 08:09 PM
She got a call from Patrick as well....no show! oh well--

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

DarkerHorse
Jan. 19, 2002, 09:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O'Connor:
ten foot pole!!! Reminder--to an exhibitionist, any publicity is good publicity--therefore, it is preferable and most constructive for the befefit of all that they get NO publicity!!! (ie it's time to apply the brakes!!!!!!)

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But... applying the breaks would knock an unattached hood ornament right off!!!!!!!

-----
http://www.catchride.com
http://forums.catchride.com

deleyer
Jan. 20, 2002, 04:40 AM
Well there is always hope for next week to show!!
Its a good day for Nachos and movies, deb right up your alley huh? In due time Deb, I am sure you will be doing alot of that in February!!! What am I talking about you do alot of that now you will just be even alot more by then...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 20, 2002, 05:40 AM
ride my horse who is @ SPF (he would otherwise have had just t/o today), come home and make snowmen, go sledding, bike out with girls on their shaggy ponies on a snowy trail ride (or sandy one down at the beach if it's not too windy, (they weren't going to the show, too fuzzy), hot chocolate and videos!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 20, 2002, 06:33 AM
Ok no show today sooo take kids for walk in guess what? snow build snow man go to barn ride watch tv make soup

PONYPULR
Jan. 20, 2002, 07:23 AM
If I don't show, I do stalls!! Hopefully I'll get to go to the Ball next week!!

deleyer
Jan. 20, 2002, 09:49 AM
Notice everyone what Debbie is doing on this day because she isnt going to the show, one guess and its not making soup or Hot chocolate!! She hasnt posted so that means she hasnt gotten up yet..Then again it doesnt have to snow for her to still be in bed. lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 20, 2002, 06:52 PM
Horse shopping over the bridge de leyer. Last minute idea and did the family thing/horse shoppig for clients /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Was on the road at that time ma dear!
Guess it was a good idea to cancel the show. Bet the parking in that field would have bee a joy! Good call Patrick!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 20, 2002, 07:08 PM
not to mention that when we went out to get the ponies we realized that riding in the snow would not be a good idea because the snow was packing in their feet, even though it wasn't quite packing enough to do a very tall snowman (did plenty of short ones, though)...anyway, schooling wouldn't have been a pretty sight either with all the snow sitting on the schooling areas.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

deleyer
Jan. 21, 2002, 06:09 AM
Well unfortuantly isnt wasnt Patrick's call to cancel the show, it was Theresa's! You know if it was up to Patrick he would of still ran it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 21, 2002, 08:21 AM
How would they have gotten everything cleared by 7:30-8:00 Sunday morning? I do, however, remember showing at Mid-Island when the ring outside was frozen, and you plowed your own way into the parking area!! I had my 3-horse van then, '75 to '81 or so!! Now-a-days shows get cancelled at the drop of a flake!!

timedjumpoff
Jan. 21, 2002, 12:20 PM
Gold Dust
Member posted Jan. 20, 2002 08:52 PM ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[quote] Very funny. Horse shopping over the bridge de leyer. Last minute idea and did the family thing/horse shoppig for clients [unquote]
-------------------------------------------------

OK, SO NOW I KNOW WHERE MY TRAINER WAS YESTERDAY!

Been hauling around 2 sets of HEADER PAYOFFS
(the "uh oh, I don't wanna fall off again soon so I better bring something good for the trainer/
trainer's family") payoff.

In this case...TWO orders of B/W cookies. Yup, Deb, we both fell off, though JI insists that his was a "Technical Header" not a real fall, you know, just a time-out to see if the fence was set right! HAH! I said "Shut Up and Pay Up."

Anyway it took awile to find the good B/W's and now I'm afraid they'll get stale. If I can't get out there before he goes to OSF, I'll just drop them off at your house, OK?

PONYPULR
Jan. 22, 2002, 06:12 AM
Wow!! It's rather quiet here. What- no beefs or gripes? Everyone is over at the other thread at CR? Mary is even off her soapbox!! No more eq thoughts, Mar?? What's up with you guys???!!!!

deleyer
Jan. 22, 2002, 11:37 AM
What thread is CR? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gold Dust
Jan. 22, 2002, 12:05 PM
CR is for fun. Dear Lord this thread could not handle that kind of yacking!!!! lol

Just came back from the county buildings. Still have not forgotten about that spring seminar. Does anyone remember the county legislative building we used years ago for some seminars and a few meetings? I am looking in to that at this time. Janet, we had a huge meeting there in support of running the PHA classes at your Country Fair shows. Remember that building? What do you think? I am not sure if and what the fee was.

PONYPULR
Jan. 22, 2002, 04:20 PM
I don't know what the fees are there, Deb. Newman handled the arranging of that place, I guess through political connections. It's fairly large, I know we have packed it for other seminars, though.

Have we gotten anyone to DO the seminar, yet?

Gold Dust
Jan. 22, 2002, 07:15 PM
I have a return phone call with a contact now. All they need is a date and the famous'put it in writing'
O.K Karin, I know you are working on your point system so when you have time, can we go back to the seminar!? Remember, I still need you and my sister in law for my survivor tape! We could make it a day!

So, in light of this-still processing seminar requests! Any one have any suggestions? If not, Janet and Mary we need to touch base!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 22, 2002, 07:41 PM
monitoring an EMPTY testing room...till about 1/2 hour before school was SUPPOSED to be let out, then 2 students came in to take a 3 hour Regnts exam...I usually finish up at 2pm after eighth period, but today didn't get sprung till 2:40 after ninth...my poor horse got tacked up, and they gave up on me, so he got untacked, then retacked (good thing he likes attention)...got home at 5 to find that my mom had let kids AND dogs run amok in the house before taking kids to her house...My house looked like it had been ransacked (can you imagine what my kitchen looked like after 4 JRs decided to check out the top of the kitchen table??? Actually, I know there was only one culprit...but how to PROVE it....) then to top it all off the TV resigned. Just quit, right in the middle of the KMart story--blip and that was it, gonno! SO--I've been cleaning up my house, policing kids, supervising homework, and taking calls from the Husband Down South...but hey, the day was GREAT, because I GOT TO RIDE, and my horse went GREAT!!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

M. O'Connor
Jan. 22, 2002, 07:46 PM
right? Seemed fine, but can't be till May or so...

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 22, 2002, 07:59 PM
I do believe there may be a support group out there for you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif lol

Please re-send the e-mail. Do not believe that one came through!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 23, 2002, 06:15 AM
Chris, were you not mystified to receive such a totally unprecedented and not followed up on off topic e-mail from me??????

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 23, 2002, 07:51 AM
Send it on to me you think she would have!! lol Remember, she is having twins. More babies to suck your brain cells right out your head!
But, anyway, yup-recieved the e-mail today!

PONYPULR
Jan. 23, 2002, 03:03 PM
All except for Helen Campbell's for lack of an identity, Margot Sanger-Katz's for lack of a big enough box(cooler winner), and Daisy Freund's for lack of a better address than "General Delivery, Remsenberg". Yipeee!

Still need to switch the sigs, however. Someday...

deleyer
Jan. 23, 2002, 03:28 PM
Oh my god I probably deleted it before I opened it, not sure I will check again though. Sorry if I did. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Deb I will get up there this week, when does the video have to be in by? The things I have to do!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 23, 2002, 07:54 PM
w/ street address in Bedford....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 24, 2002, 04:31 AM
what mary's house must've looked like !!! On the table Mary??? Lordy what in the HHHH was your MOM doing???
ye s have been busy getting accountant stuff an ddoing first of shows which I did in two hours !!!
As soon as you have room locked in Deb I'll contact folks about clinic seminar thing!Thats funny Mary sent it to Chris ...
Oh and for those wo are interested .. Cr is a scary place right now I do not go there... Chris go check it out but I warn you caution....

M. O'Connor
Jan. 24, 2002, 05:57 AM
<<Thats funny Mary sent it to Chris ... >>

yes, must've been the day I went and picked out that lighter blonde shade of Preference by L'Oreal.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

brilyntrip
Jan. 24, 2002, 11:28 AM
mary you made ANOTHER funny

PONYPULR
Jan. 24, 2002, 12:20 PM
Yes, they play very, very rough over there at CR. Let it be known now that IF there is a BB on our new website, I will not tolerate such impudence!

Speaking of the new site, it is up and cooking, but still in the very much RAW stages! Yippeee!! Claire has been a busy little bee the past few days and it looks great!! But please be patient, points should be up in a day or so!!!

timedjumpoff
Jan. 24, 2002, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O'Connor:
<<Thats funny Mary sent it to Chris ... >>

yes, must've been the day I went and picked out that lighter blonde shade of Preference by L'Oreal.....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUT WE ALL KNOW IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE WORTH IT, MARY.

Gold Dust
Jan. 24, 2002, 01:38 PM
the cat would be able to come out the bag!!!

Yes, the new site is in very much beginning stages but it is the start of the new LIHSAA! I for one am very excited. Can not wait until it is ready for advertising! Janet is first in line, myself next so let's start the lineup guys!

Yes, it should be a web-site for gaining information and a place to ask questions and hopefully a bit of fun. I would hope people would see how hard we all worked for this and how hard we work in general for L.I. and treat our new site accordingly. I truly believe there will be no worries there Janet.

brilyntrip
Jan. 24, 2002, 05:08 PM
we should have a BB but CR has gotten what I consider a group of shall I say cats who are fighting amongst themselves. It has become a waste of time to even read it .While fun should be had it should not become a bar room brawl.

deleyer
Jan. 25, 2002, 05:06 AM
I hope you can give people a little more credit here whe n the LI High Score thread is up a ready to post on. That CR thread is totally different you see what gets posted on that, and its a thread just for that kind of behavior so I dont think you have to much to worry about. And you also have the authority to ban or erase something you dont see fit, so relax and sit back and lets see what gets written so we all dont feel like children who are adults that are getting a lecture from there mom. Hey I am still waiting for my questions to be answered I thought that was something to write about so I did and I havent gotten one answer back for any of them, Can you see my point.. So I did write the kind of stuff you want to hear but I havent gotten a response from any of the board members on some issues that are ligit. Like I said I think the new website is going to be great and respectful to others so lets enjoy something that is going to be good and not put a damper on things before they get started. Enjoy!!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

lovemybailey
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:33 AM
going to get up and running but what is the new address going to be??

PONYPULR
Jan. 25, 2002, 10:56 AM
And about the possible BB, a few bad apples CAN wreck it for us all.

The website is www.lihighscore.com (http://www.lihighscore.com)

Keep in mind that it is still only in its begining stages. And we are not looking to get too elaborate at this point.

Gold Dust
Jan. 25, 2002, 11:41 AM
For all that are reading this going huh?. CR is a private web-site and the moderation is not as strict as other message boards. Ie: all who visit notice no advertising!. It's almost like stopping in at your local pub after a days work, letting loose and the occasional brawl appears. So in light of it being a personal web-site and LIHSAA being a work related site I will say the warning was really not needed. Why do you think it has not once appeared over here. It was taken else where. Believe you me, after the jammie topic was frowned on you really thought for one second people would not, on there own do the right thing.

As for my sister in laws question which I have had no answer it stems back to the dinner dance invites! So, lets not worry about what might happen in our backyard, lets worry about what already has or has not in this case!

gwen
Jan. 25, 2002, 11:45 AM
I like the sound of the galloping horse!!!! LOOKING GOOD!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Barb**

M. O'Connor
Jan. 25, 2002, 11:59 AM
Karin, how many beats to that gallop? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif !

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Jane
Jan. 25, 2002, 07:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why do you think it has not once appeared over here. It was taken else where. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Erin would pitch a fit, that's why! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The new site looks great! and that little construction worker looks like he's been working really hard and is about to fall off the jackhammer! Would someone buy him a bear already?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif BTW, I don't see anything galloping...only the little construction guy and a dancing pony. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

visitor #95

PONYPULR
Jan. 26, 2002, 09:57 AM
It is the SOUND of a galloping horse!

brilyntrip
Jan. 27, 2002, 05:31 PM
I am so glad to report that we all enjoyed each other at Sag POND to day !

Jane
Jan. 27, 2002, 08:02 PM
Thanks Janet! Hope all who attended the show today had a great day, you couldn't ask for better weather than what we had this weekend in January.

deleyer
Jan. 28, 2002, 05:34 AM
Weather was great, soon this weather keeps up like this the Florida circuit is going to change States!! Unbelievable but I will take it as it wants to stay... Yes Karin we had some laughs yesturday huh? Deb have you calmed down yet? Today is your day off so try and enjoy it, make Marty cater to you, lol.. In otherwords go out for lunch!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 28, 2002, 06:10 AM
But where was Mary? Doesn't she BOARD there? And I meant to ask Lisa if she came out for the Adults and there were none- That's too bad. No Old Salem for her? How long did the show last? Were there Jumpers? Did Bob's client win? Anybody know? And, finally, how was Old Salem for Marty, Deb? Who all went?

brilyntrip
Jan. 28, 2002, 07:07 AM
Here is the lowdown ...Mary and Neil are in Fla ( Neil quiet type that he is )Is judging jumpers through out WEF circuit !! They are doing jumper clinic down there!!About our Lisa .. She has made the step up from Adults .. Showed her two horses at Old Salem Faar was champion in Amateur /Owner he also showed in first yrs and was in ribbons in most of his classes!! HURRAY Lisa !!

Gold Dust
Jan. 28, 2002, 08:13 AM
Yes it was a great day. Weather was great and it brings the gang together!
No jumpers again Janet. Unfortunatly there are so many divisions prior to the jumpers it seems to get cancelled more then run because people do not want to be getting home in the weee hours![hint, hint-dump the eq. classes so the jumpers can have a go! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ]
Old salem was good for Marty. Cartier did the first years and 2 other clients had a good show! Both were in the cast of thousands at the OSF low hunter division! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Yes deleyer I am fine now! And on that note, Can we try to understand that kids may come a little close to each other in a flat class and it is not cause to loose your mind! I am sure that was not the plan for them when they stepped in the ring-life goes on!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

brilyntrip
Jan. 29, 2002, 07:50 AM
IS THIS WEATHER FOR REAL!

PONYPULR
Jan. 29, 2002, 09:20 AM
I'm sorry I didn't congratulate her when I saw her.

Ok, just got an email from Tom. He will be back for the April meeting! He has sent me some pics of Texas for me to show you all. It's beautiful there! I will bringr them to the meeting next Wednesday. He sends his best to you all.

Anybody going to Thomas'?

PONYPULR
Jan. 29, 2002, 10:34 AM
There is a survey on our website!! So go vote on whether or not you'd like to see a message board, a chat room for meetings, and a classified ad page. Boy, Claire is giving us stuff to do!!!

M. O'Connor
Jan. 29, 2002, 12:20 PM
that is me landing---just flew back from FL this morning--at least I THINK I did---is this really NY? 60F?! It must be NY because I went out to SPF and there was my horse, and Lisa, and Patrick...but boy was I overdressed; I mean, trying not to catch a chill my first day back (80's all weekend in FL BTW), I need not have worried!

Lots of jumper rule changes, but good news is that (mostly, anyway) none of them take effect till Dec...so we don't need to worry our heads about that--however in late Nov we will have An Esteemed Authority pay us a visit and fill us in on all the changes...

A survey? cool, will go look....

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 29, 2002, 04:18 PM
Well, even though they are not in effect until december hopefully we have time to touch on this subject on WEDNESDAYS PHA meeting!

Yup Janet, Claire keeps adding things daily to the website and yes even points. Her and Karin are tweaking their system right now but we are moving forward! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 29, 2002, 06:30 PM
maybe I landed too hard without realizing it....Wednesday?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 29, 2002, 07:49 PM
I believe the meeting is changed for this month to Wednesday because our fearless leader is attending the Billy Joel concert so we made it on wednesday for this month. Am I correct on that Mrs. Rice?
No horse show meeting prior because Marty cann't get there early on that day so he can give his update during the meeting.
And Mary- I have that info. you asked for so we will talk to you then O.K.? !

PONYPULR
Jan. 29, 2002, 08:34 PM
On the survey that someone WOULD NOT be interested in a Classified Ads page. Hummmm. That's odd. I wonder why someone would feel that way. Classifieds would only help to subsidize the website, no? The more the website is subsidized, the more it can eventually do for us all. What could be the bad side of classifieds?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I'm just trying to open up some discussion about it all.

M. O'Connor
Jan. 29, 2002, 08:45 PM
All it proves is that some people just don't know how answer survey questions correctly...sheeesh...all you have to do is click that "YES" button....SIMPLE!!! YES, YES, YES!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Jane
Jan. 29, 2002, 10:13 PM
Okay, I just took the survey, and no, I will not share with anyone how I voted. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Anyhoo, I noticed the survey will run through Feb. 8...does that mean we can expect to see the message board, ads, and chat room soon after on site, if they've "passed"?

Another question -- the site indicated points from the Dec. 2 Hunter Isle show has been posted for the Lows, both Amateur and Pro, as well as the Specials. But there're not "linked"...I mean, they're listed, but you can't click on it yet, unlike the other divisions that's been posted.

PONYPULR
Jan. 30, 2002, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry, I don't have the answers to your two queries, but I have a question for you! What is the "AAAA Clique"? And should we all start the "Island Clique"? If so, I'd like to be a Founding Member!!

Gold Dust
Jan. 30, 2002, 07:11 AM
O.K.-I'll start this venture. As far as someone not wanting classified adds, the only thing I could guess on that is someone who would actually like to see this venue fail. If you really think about it it would increase buisness for the advertiser and help the site pay for itself. The more adds, the more LIHSAA can do for the people. Does everyone understand each added thing costs money? So, if I am correct,[and I truly hope I am wrong here] whoever would like to see this fail, as my son would say---NOT! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Message board is also something that is very important. Besides what has been said in the past, LIHSAA had a past of hiding and doing things in secret, behind closed doors. The only way this will work is to open lines of communication and make people feel comfortable about speaking their mind. Proof is in the pudding. Someone opened a thread right here on the chronicle about L.I. homes for sale. I saw people on that thread that have NEVER posted here. Could that be because they do not believe in LIHSAA? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Wake up guys, LIHSAA has failed the people in the past, it is time to show them their opinions actually matter. The best way to start is through a message board, that will give them the boost to start throwing some ideas out and then it is our job to show them we will listen.

gwen
Jan. 30, 2002, 07:31 AM
Great!!I voted!!! That was a great idea!!!!

**Barb**

Jane
Jan. 30, 2002, 09:27 AM
Those three divisions I mentioned are now linked....perhaps I checked too soon after it was posted.

Janet: AAAA - The Anal Adult Amateurs Anonymous, founded by findeight a few months ago. Some of the requirements....NEVER satisfied with your riding, always think your horse is perfect and it's you that screws up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif There was a whole thread with some really funny stories. I'll see if I can dig it up and send you the link.

gwen
Jan. 30, 2002, 09:38 AM
GOT A QUESTION...I, being a new LIer keep hearing about this tack swap thing happening soon..what's this all about???? is it good??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Barb**

OH and Jane...can I join the Clique???? I definately need it since I can't ride worth s*$(%!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PONYPULR
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:32 PM
Anything that encourages traffic and that can be easily and closely monitored gets my vote!

How 'bout a Guess Who This Is contest once a month? Winners gets a hat or shirt or whatever. I don't check my points all that often, but if there were other reasons to frequent the site, I'd be there all the time. Sorta like I am with this particular site!

And, as an advertiser, I want it all! Get them there and keep them coming back!!

Gold Dust
Jan. 30, 2002, 03:54 PM
Are you talking about swap night at the Jericho high school? It's kinda like a giant flea market of used stuff!
Janet, the guess who of me in my jammies has already been seen. We need another picture! lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
I think now that the site is up the PHA needs to use the site to their advantage and start posting the up and coming meetings and things. We need to start thinking about how to handle this. Any ideas guys? I think the PHA might want to pay a set fee per year to use for updates, meetings, seminars, horse show and dinner dance updates. See, if we get this rolling, after our meeting we could post our meeting outcome on that site!! I know we need to get rolling on sponsorships and what a great way to get the word out via the LIHSAA web-site! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M. O'Connor
Jan. 30, 2002, 05:25 PM
can be for the footing fund!!

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

Gold Dust
Jan. 31, 2002, 09:53 AM
Yes. It is that time again to help out the horse show and think about helping out with sponsoring divisions, coolers. Also, lets not forget about the beautification plan to stop by your local nursery, donate some plants ,trees, or flowers to the grounds. If you have a buisness it is a great way to support the horse world and get some advertisment for your own!
Look how many more would see what I just typed if it were on the high score web site!!

brilyntrip
Jan. 31, 2002, 10:45 AM
agree with everything nothing more to say

PONYPULR
Feb. 1, 2002, 07:31 AM
Am I missing something here?? Out of the three topics that are being surveyed, classified ads has the least interest. Could someone please explain to me how that could be?? I'm thinking that classified ads are pretty harmless, no? I don't think we'd accept any Singles Only ads, if they're thinking that's gonna be the problem. I don't get it. 'Splain, I beg of you.

Gold Dust
Feb. 1, 2002, 08:45 AM
Could it be there are people not expressing the need for Clasifieds because they do not have a buisness to advertise so they are hitting the 'no' button? Just a reminder-would you be interested in reading the classifieds? I would like to know that people are going to be interested in adds so mine will be read and hopefully generate buisness. Marty is starting to teach a bit more from the house and I would love to fill some slots for him here! The boys would love their dad here a bit more!!
Are you finished with Janets yet Claire!!!?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on-
Stevie Nicks

ccoronios
Feb. 1, 2002, 09:05 AM
As a former LIer, I checked out your fledgling site - it looks great!

M. O'Connor
Feb. 1, 2002, 11:38 AM
27 (the number of people who have taken the survey) is hardly a scientificly valid sampling--for an informal survey, though, we probably have a pretty good indication that the MAJORITY of people who have filled it out favor the inclusion of classified ads on the site. Those who don't care (a minority) or who answered that they aren't interested in them, may mean that they simply do not have anything to sell, or are not currently in the market to buy at the moment. Doesn't mean that classifieds won't be used or useful to others or to these people at some point in the future. Use your common sense; it's a good idea, and will WORK! Speaking for myself, at a tricky place professionally speaking, (emerging from the stay-at-home-mommy years, no clients to speak of, but wanting to develop new business, and desiring to let people know I'm out here), I intend to make full use of whatever advertising is available to me! Seems like a total no-brainer from where I sit....and I can't be the only one to think so (though it wouldn't be the first time!).

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

PONYPULR
Feb. 1, 2002, 12:48 PM
So why then, have we received over 600 hits, granted Claire may be 100 of them, and only 27 or 8 have partaken in the survey?? Alright, I may have been bak there a dozen times or so but don't you guys think that 28 is a small percent that is interested in the whole damn thing??

gwen
Feb. 1, 2002, 12:51 PM
Maybe alot of people don't know about it yet...WE ALL KNOW!!! But there are tons of people out there who don't use computers as much as we do!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Barb**

PONYPULR
Feb. 1, 2002, 12:55 PM
HEAR YE, HEAR YE, HEAR YE

PHA meeting Wednesday, Feb.6th, 7:30pm, at the New Horizon Diner.

I am correct on this, aren't I, Mrs. Rice???

Gold Dust
Feb. 1, 2002, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PONYPULR:
don't you guys think that 28 is a small percent that is interested in the whole damn thing??

Hmmm....they will be when it comes end of the year time and they want to know who is getting a ribbon. And, like I have said befor, LIHSAA has let them down in the past years so it is going to take a while befor people care again. I can pack the room for the night of the dinner dance but other then that,you tell me. House needs some cleaning. And by the way, how are we doing with getting your signature on the bank account Janet being you are the new Treasurer??
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif So much to be done and yet when is the next meeting? We need to have 2 open meetings a year. Are we ready yet? Don't think people are not asking when the first open meeting is. I really feel we need a meeting this month to work out more details on MANY things. Am I the only one who feels this way? /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on"-
Stevie Nicks

Gold Dust
Feb. 1, 2002, 01:55 PM
Yes, the meeting is Wednesday at 7:30. Mrs. Rice sent the e-mail updates out I believe.

And,PHA meets every month to get things done. I believe we should take a look at that and see maybe where we should start to pick up some slack here.

Stevie Nicks

Jane
Feb. 1, 2002, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONYPULR:
Sbut don't you guys think that 28 is a small percent that is interested in the whole damn thing??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gwen is right. I don't think many people know about the new website. I've been meaning to bring this up....I overheard someone the other day, talking about how there're no updates on the LIHSAA site. I gave them the new URL, but it made me realized (DUH) that a majority of the LI horse community aren't aware of this new change.

Aside from bringing people up to date at meetings, I think it'd make more sense to send out mailings to barns (there is a mailing list, right?), as well as "advertise" on the upcoming prize lists. We have to get the word out if we want traffic to the site.

M. O'Connor
Feb. 1, 2002, 05:55 PM
We know about the new URL simply because we are on this board--we know that we are a very small number compared to those who used to look up the updates on the old URL--aside from the few postings here with the new link, how have people been informed of the new site? If you look up the old site, it is still touting the dinner dance as an upcoming attraction! Why isn't there a blank page there at this point with a link to the new site?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

PONYPULR
Feb. 1, 2002, 06:29 PM
What a great idea!! And I just emailed Laura and asked her if she thought Michael would be so kind as to do that for us. Let's see what happens.......

Gr8Socks!
Feb. 1, 2002, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane:
Aside from bringing people up to date at meetings, I think it'd make more sense to send out mailings to barns (there is a mailing list, right?), as well as "advertise" on the upcoming prize lists. We have to get the word out if we want traffic to the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes!Yes! I was thinking the same thing. I informed LIEquine.com and LongIslandhorse.net of the new link. Also I know that horse directory and some of those other local papers have barn news, can someone get in touch with them?
~Claire

[This message was edited by Gr8Socks! on Feb. 01, 2002 at 08:45 PM.]

Jane
Feb. 1, 2002, 07:24 PM
I meant to mention placing a link on the old URL as well, but I had a senior moment (common occurence these days, it seems /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) while I wrote my last post and left that out.

Harbinger
Feb. 1, 2002, 08:42 PM
People, lets not panic just yet! The website looks good so far. It's going to take time for it to take hold. I recommended having the site announced at the horse shows each week. Have a note made with the URL on it and hand them out at the shows. I just found out about the site this week, I checked it out then I voted. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deleyer
Feb. 2, 2002, 04:50 AM
Well Well Well, look who we have here, Deb I guess John was a little like me trying to get on this website huh?
Deb how was the awards dinner last nite? Did Dylan get his zipper up? LOL
I will post later, oh and by the way like I said before the website looks great!! Lets be patient on the survey it will get there, remember what everyone has been through in the past with the old website, so give it a little time, it will be a hit again with Long Islanders!!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PONYPULR
Feb. 2, 2002, 06:53 AM
So no one from the COTH Island Clique will be attending Thomas' show? No one wants to fly their plane INSIDE the hangar?!

PONYPULR
Feb. 2, 2002, 07:01 AM
Which website are you refering to? The LIHSAA or my own one? How long ago were you on the Island? Where did you ride?

Gold Dust
Feb. 2, 2002, 07:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jane:
I think it'd make more sense to send out mailings to barns (there is a mailing list, right?), as well as "advertise" on the upcoming prize lists. We have to get the word out if we want traffic to the site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, shall I go there with more bad news or just keep throwing them out myself? Now- what is the update on a mailing list? Why should someone drive down a road full of stop signs and bumps. Don't you think that road would get more traffic with some repairs??
So, now that the site is up and people want to get the word out don't you think the board needs to get together and talk about what to do? You can type all you wat here but it still takes the teamwork of the board to get this stuff done together and not even half of us are on line! Pain in the a** ain't I!!?

Stevie Nicks

Gold Dust
Feb. 2, 2002, 08:35 AM
Yes, last night was the LIHS awards and it was a great time. Travis was so damn cute I could not stand it and yes Dylan solved the 'zipper' problem and all went well and YES, he danced.
I would like to thank Janet and Dave from my cell phone 'How do I get there call'! and getting the deLeyer family there safe and sound!
One note on that. I must say, LIHS[long Islad Horsemans society] has its gliches and all but to see the kids and adults go up and recieve awards was really nice. No, dog eat dog point chasing horror that we can deal with. To see someone go up ad recieve a 9th place award with a smile from ear to ear is just the greatest thing. So the next time you are standing by the ring and you THINK someone has cut your child off, don't loose your cool, smile and take it as a learning experience because big damn deal you will not be champion!
Let's all try to have some fun by the ring this year O.K.?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Stevie Nicks

M. O'Connor
Feb. 2, 2002, 09:23 AM
Weeks ago, on behalf of the PHA/LIHSAA, I requested , and received free of charge from the Hampton Classic, its entire NY Metro region mailing list (in zipcode order--thus we end up with LI, NYC, and Westchester) ...several members of the LIHSAA board are aware of this, and I await instructions as to whether someone wants it printed out so that it can be manually input into a new database, or forwarded as a file to whomever at LIHSAA...that is how I provided Janet with 99.9% of the addresses of awards winners she was missing...ask and ye shall receive, however no one seems interested in utilizing this resource yet as we seem to be stuck back in the stone age as far as efficient use of available communication tools goes...SO. If you want a mailing list--I HAVE IT------->now what?

MCL
Equitation Crusader
"r" H/J/HEq

[This message was edited by M. O'Connor on Feb. 02, 2002 at 12:53 PM.]

deleyer
Feb. 2, 2002, 10:55 AM
Speaking of mailing list, I recieved a letter in the mail the other day for sponsorships for the PHA horse show, I have a question for the committee, How come now that you need sponsorship money my address is known to you, but you didnt think it was important that I got an invitation for the year end awards? Or for that fact none of my customers got invites either! Its amazing in what others think is important when they need to get your attention on important issues like "give me your money" Oh well i just had to set the record straight on that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gold Dust
Feb. 2, 2002, 02:57 PM
I would love to have someone teach me the program needed to enter those names in a disc or whatever you would need so I could have a program that spits those labels out. So much easier for mass mailing. Do you know how to do that? Obviously since my sister-in law and not one of her clients were on any mailing list, we need a new one. Chris- did you get a Hampton Classic prize list?

As far as the new site, I have put the new address on every L.I. website I know of. Lets see if it sparks an interest.

Stevie Nicks

ccoronios
Feb. 2, 2002, 10:33 PM
the new LIHSA site....

I rode with Walter Bickmann just before we both moved south - showed a couple of jumpers, nothing anyone would remember (unless anyone recalls a gray gelding who used to do caprioles coming into a fence - talk about having a problem seeing distances!!!). I taught at Park Stables for a while and Babylon for about a year.

As far as when, suffice it to say that Heike was riding Santa at about the time I left....

Gold Dust
Feb. 5, 2002, 06:44 PM
I see the first add is on www.lihighscore.com (http://www.lihighscore.com) website!! Looks great Janet!

Haike riding santa! hmm... that was a while ago!! lol

Stevie Nicks

brilyntrip
Feb. 5, 2002, 06:50 PM
i just tried to check out the survey says server cant be found

Jane
Feb. 5, 2002, 08:44 PM
I just checked out the site. Apparently the "last" survey was deleted (by accident??), so we're back to square one...we have to vote again. Someone else had voted before me, so now we have two votes. Let's get this thing going.

gwen
Feb. 6, 2002, 06:52 AM
I voted again!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Barb**

Gold Dust
Feb. 6, 2002, 06:55 AM
Just a reminder to all the PHA meeting is tonight at 7:30. Please, all you Lurkers, how about stopping in and see what its all about. We are going to need lots of help with the up and coming horse show!

Stevie Nicks

gwen
Feb. 6, 2002, 07:08 AM
While all LIers are here...We are house hunting and out real estate guy sent us houses in Shirley, Selden, Medford (a gorgeous one, we looked at it) and Lake Grove...what do you guys think about the towns?? Sorry to interupt!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**Barb**

Gold Dust
Feb. 6, 2002, 09:08 AM
Lake Grove. School district is much better then the other towns. And by the way, so sorry I did not come over and say Hi at the LIHS dance. I saw you over there but first time I had both boys with me so I was a little busy!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stevie Nicks

gwen
Feb. 6, 2002, 09:28 AM
Don't worry about the dinner dance..Honestly, I was totally overwelmed by the amount of people there!!!! IT WAS CRAZY!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Congrats on your guy winning a great ribbon!!!!! You must be so proud..that it so cool!!!

The one in lake grove only has 2 bedrooms!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif But like I said before, I would much rather have a nice school and town over anything...always room to build, huh?? THANKS!!! I appreciate advice from people actually LIVING here!!! It's great!!!

**Barb**

deleyer
Feb. 6, 2002, 02:15 PM
I lived in Lake Grove my whole life before I got married and moved out East. Loved it there, school district is very good, where in Lake Grove were you looking at? I think you would be very happy there if I dont say so myself!!! LOL
Good luck house hunting.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deleyer
Feb. 6, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I meant to say "If I do say so myself"
I hate when that happens, hopefully you put it together.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gwen
Feb. 6, 2002, 02:24 PM
For our "starter" house, there is a really cute one out there. It's pretty reasonable with about 1/3 acre but only has 2 bedrooms..but we are only 2 people and we can fix it up and move to bigger and better things a few years down the road!!! Taxes are pretty reasonable also...I think we'll go look at this one!! Thanks!!

**Barb**

OH!! The house is near Walnut St. and Lafayette Ave??? Wherever that is!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 08:02 AM
The house is off of Hawkins?? We visited it last night..we wanted to peek in but unfortunately people are still living there!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....where you pay 500,000 for a 1 br, 1 br house!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

breezymeadow
Feb. 7, 2002, 08:39 AM
3 bedrooms/2 bath with lovely pastoral views (albeit a "fixer-upper") on 21 horse-friendly acres for $180,000.

I'd have to be a Rockefeller 20 times over to be able to afford on LI what I have here!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 08:45 AM
ALL FOR 180,000?????? OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That's my dream!!! OH, here you would pay 2,000,000 for what you have there....Can I just cry now?? Or just buy a paper box to live in...And what we're paying in rent would pay someones mortgage on a nice house..it's crazy what people get for these houses out here and ALOT of the ones we are looking at probably wouldn't pass with the engineer and they aren't cheap!!!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....where you pay 500,000 for a 1 br, 1 br house!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

deleyer
Feb. 7, 2002, 11:15 AM
Oh my god Gwen, I also lived off Hawkins Ave. Right passed the 7eleven store, but before the apartments! Good luck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 11:17 AM
What about Shirley??? there is a nice victorian house for sale...the taxes are about $6,500 though. Is that alot?? and is it worth looking into?? OH!!! I passed the 7-11..how funny is that??

**BARB***

breezymeadow
Feb. 7, 2002, 12:41 PM
because my taxes on the aforementioned 21 acres are only $1,200/yr. - yet another reason for crossing the Mason-Dixon line.

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 12:58 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! THE TISSUES ARE OUT!!!!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING!! WOW!!! I am moving....without Dan..he can live here by himself...

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....where you pay 500,000 for a 1 br, 1 br house!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Merlin
Feb. 7, 2002, 01:26 PM
Shirley's not such a great area - although, some of the newer houses are pretty nice. But overall, it's not a real great area.

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 01:31 PM
THANK YOU MERLIN!!!! You guys are the best...see, us horse people look out for each other!!! If it's not such a great area, how can they get away with 6,500 in taxes!! WOW!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif THANK YOU!!!

**BARB***

breezymeadow
Feb. 7, 2002, 02:34 PM
to mention the terrific, crisp, dry, green local hay I get spring/summer/fall for $2.50/bale?

Plus the fact that last week when our latest foal was born (adorable pics under "It's A Boy" thread under "Sporthorse Breeding"), it was 68 DEGREES at 2:30 in the morning?

Or that I don't have to lock my doors all the time in fear of robbery or my life? (although I do, because "you can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take the New York out of the girl!)

All kidding aside, I do hope you find what you want & need on LI, although I have to say, the only thing I miss besides friends/family is the salt water. Other than that . . .

gwen
Feb. 7, 2002, 02:41 PM
I am a Connecticut girl myself and NEVER locked our doors or cars...grew up in the woods..closest house was separated by ALOT of trees!!!..The hubby yelled at me one too many times to lock the doors, so now I am in the habit!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I like it here though...It's a tad bit expensive but there are some beautiful parts!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

M. O'Connor
Feb. 8, 2002, 03:36 AM
PHA meeting the other night? Update? Is it on another thread that I missed?

MCL

gwen
Feb. 8, 2002, 06:41 AM
No other thread..I kindof interupted this one but I have another house hunting thread so talk away.. I'll go away!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

Gold Dust
Feb. 8, 2002, 08:37 AM
I am going to start the Feb. meeting thread. I never knew how popular my update was!! And yes Mary F., and Meridith this one is for you and I am fine guys!! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stevie Nicks