PDA

View Full Version : Making my place guinea favorable... ;)

alabama
May. 27, 2012, 01:55 PM
My neighbor's five guineas have been hanging (coming and going) at my farm for the past couple of weeks. That's fine with me! I wish they'd move in permanently. I like their bug eating and despite my being very noise sensitive, somehow they don't bother me.

So what can I do to make them want to stay? I don't really want to "steal" them but if they were to stay, I doubt the neighbor would care. He runs the county humane shelter. He got them via rescue. If he's going to let them range all over the place and they choose my place over his, it's not my fault, right??? :lol:

So how can I make my place extra guinea friendly? I'm not going to lock them up and keep them. They could still go back to him if they wanted. I just want to make them like my place better. ;)

tbaymare
May. 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Guinea Fowl love millet. If you buy bird seed mixes with plenty of millet, they'll quickly figure out that you have good eats.:yes:

alabama
May. 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Good deal! Thanks!

I really like these birds, as stupid as they are. They are just too funny. And since they are grown and quite large, my cats leave them alone. I have to be careful driving now that they are free ranging, though. One of them jumped out of the weeds beside the road right in front of my car the other day. Good thing I live at the tail end of a one lane, dead end dirt road! If they had to deal with real traffic, they wouldn't last two seconds.

PNWjumper
May. 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Well, if they're already over at your place it sounds like your place is already favorable :)

My neighbor's guineas moved in last summer and they've turned into kind of feral (and really stupid) pets. We had 3 at first and then they had 11 babies and so we had 14 for a while. But slowly the babies got picked off and then the roosting female also got picked off. I really never wanted to build a coop (they could, after all, just go home if they wanted to not get eaten by the abundance of teethed and taloned wildlife around here), but if the remaining two (one male, one female) end up hatching any babies this year I'm going to have to do it. Against all odds they've endeared themselves to me. Stupid, dumb, kind of cute birds.

suz
May. 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
i have to laugh at them--their every thirty seconds hysteria is annoying and somehow comical all at once.
mine now stick around for the most part but the established flock of chickens have not made them welcome.
i actually do live on a fast and busy road (and hate it) and the guineas so far have survived running madly up and down the road occasionally.
i think i'd better put up some signs, since i have no chance of catching them.

alabama
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
My plans are working! They now come to me (instead of running off like they did) when they see me throwing out feed. And tonight when I had to drive the mule around to the basement just after dark I discovered they are roosting in one of the trees in my backyard. Whoo hoo! I have annoying creatures that like my house better than the neighbors. LOL!

AKB
Jul. 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
If they go home, you can always buy your own flock. Strombergs will ship them to you if you can't find a local breeder.

Bacardi1
Jul. 20, 2012, 11:52 AM
Actually, ANY poultry hatchery will ship them to you if you can't find a local breeder. And "Strombergs" would never be my first choice.