PDA

View Full Version : Dogs - Electrobraid or Centaur's White Lightning?

RideIrishHorses
May. 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Getting ready to fence my "baby farm" (adjacent to our bigger, fancier boarding barn) and while price is always a factor these days, safety is still paramount. We have vinyl fencing (hate this, but came with boarding barn) with White Lightning on the inside of the top rail at my boarding barn and we've used the White Lightning to cross-fence in our retiree pasture and been happy with it. My questions to those of you with Electrobraid or White Lightning:

- Do they keep dogs in/out? I have two Cardis who are short (and determined) and I want to keep them OUT of my paddocks!

- How many strands are too many? I was thinking at least six to provide a SERIOUS visual barrier, as well as a stinging one! Would even consider seven on 5' posts.

- How far apart did you space, and with what? What about corner braces?

Thanks for your help!

SLW
May. 27, 2012, 04:23 PM
We (middle aged hubba and myself) just installed Centaurs White Lightning & Poly Plus to fence two areas in the front of our house for daytime turnout. I opted for only 4 strands. The top one and the third from the top are my hot lines. We didn't want the bottom line hot so that Mr. SLW wouldn't be shocked every time he mowed near the fence. My two mares work on the assumption that ANY wire is hot which probably allows me to get by with what we did.

For corner post we sunk 6" post into the ground just shy of 3' and used a bag of cement for each post. We opted to not use the H style brace and used 3" round post to make V brace on the wooden corner post. We used the plastic T post sleeves and it created a very nice looking fenceline. We spaced the post 10' apart which is the maximum recommended but again, I'm not containing fractious foals or active TB's, a mostly retired QTR mare and Connemara.

I worked with Double J fencing out of TX and they were beyond helpful making sure I had all the components I needed for the job. An amazing thing was on the day we installed the wire, we had set the post the day before, I had a question and I called them at like 11:00 on a Sunday morning. What in the heck was I thinking??? Julie answered my question as if I was calling her during regular business hours.

Good luck making your choices. :)

ReSomething
May. 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
We have Eb and the horses and the dogs react in different ways to it.

The horses don't try it, we have three strands with the lowest at about a foot and the tallest at about four feet, if we put the lowest any further down it turns into havng to weedwack an awful lot, we have a standard electric wire fence that takes a lot of maintenance with the wire at about seven inches high. It also has about four or five strands.

The dog wll try the Eb at that height but not the wire, he'll also try to go between the strandsof the Eb and for some reason our pulses are slow and he gets through wthout the zap fairly often - he also has a thick thick coat, like a husky in the winter.

I'd say bait the dog at the fence and make sure he gets a good zap, and make sure the fence has small spaces that he won't try to leap through it if something really enticing is on the other side. That's your biggest problem with any stranded fence, that they'll shove or wriggle or whatever to get at something really exciting.

Horsehealer1
May. 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
Either will do a nice job, it's a personal choice on which way to go. The thing I like about ElectroBraid is that we've Never had a injury from ElectroBraid and we normally have 20 - 25 horses on site all the time. The ElectroBraid will give a little if the dogs try to go through it and it's much easier to work with in my opinion.The other thing is it's easy to move if you need to. Our ElectroBraid always looks good no matter how hot or cold it is outside. Anytime you put up a "high Tensile wire" coated or not, It's going to get longer in the summer heat and shorter in the winter cold. This can make it look saggy in the heat of the summer. The problem is that you want it to look nice so you go out and tighten it up a little. Looks great until it gets cold and the high tensile wire shrinks/shortens and pulls the corner posts out. Like I said it's somewhat of a personal preference but I've always been happy with ElectroBraid and I have both on my property. Good Luck.

PS. the closer you put the bottom strand to the ground the more likely a horse will get their leg in it if they get backed into the fence by another horse.

RideIrishHorses
May. 29, 2012, 04:37 PM
I just have the one "big" horse and then a mini for company - so it's unlikely there'll be kicking matches ;-) We have vinyl at the barn I own now and I HATE IT. White vinyl 6" rails - the break when kicked, if we didn't have White Lightning on the inside top rails they'd all be popped out, and they get disgustingly moldy in six months if they're not in direct sunlight all the time. I really can't decide what I want, though - Electrobraid because it's easier to put up, White Lightning because it seems really solid (I have it already for cross fencing and no one's gotten hurt - but you're right it expands and contracts with the weather!), no climb because that seems the best barrier...I don't know!

ReSomething
May. 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
Well, in my ideal world I'd have diamond v mesh for my perimeter fence and then the Eb for most of the interior fences. My horses just assume it's hot and leave it be. The dog, the neighbor's dogs, the coons and possums and foxes however, they get in.

You asked about posts and such - we wound up using trees, which the Eb advertise as a good option and sell nifty little tree belts with insulators, and t-posts because of our bedrock close to the surface. We brace with t-posts as well, and most of the posts are 12 foot or less apart, a little longer on the straight flat runs. We have had t-posts pull right out in two corners (we have at least a dozen braced angles so two isn't too bad) and wound up using guy wire exterior braces in line with the highest tensioned run. They are a pain to mow around but work OK in the two locations, no worse than the guy wires on the phone poles.

It's not a beautiful horse farm but it is tidy and workmanlike, well, it is if it hasn't been raining or 90 degrees out for days on end.

jherold
May. 31, 2012, 01:58 PM
I have 4 line electrobraid for the horses. I had to run an additional line 1/2 between the ground and the bottom line on the out side of the pasture to keep the dogs out of the pasture. (They figured out they could scoot under). I just added insulators to the existing wooden posts and used tap in fiberglass temporary posts where I had t-posts. Since they lines are off set, have to go over one line before they get to the line they can scoot under, they just can't go fast enough to avoid the shock.

RideIrishHorses
Jun. 3, 2012, 09:37 PM
I keep waffling between no climb and White Lightning/Electrobraid - I really do like the White Lightning (in black!) and think I'll end up going with that. I just don't know if I should do 6 or 7 strands on a 5' post? Thoughts? Thanks for all of your input!

Horsehealer1
Jun. 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
Unless you are putting the White lightning or Electrobraid on a dark fence to keep horses from pushing, liening or chewing on the wood fence I would steer away from black. It seems to be the hardest to see. It blends in a little too well. That's why Electrobraid LTD says they use black when they fence highways for deer, moose and elk. Because it blends right into the landscape. They claim passing motorist don't even notice it. Just something to consider. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one but for my money the Electrobraid is much easier to work with and has a 25 yr warr. If you ever move you can roll it up and take it with you or move it to a different location on your existing farm. Thats a pain in the butt to do with steel wire. Good Luck you'll get years of enjoyment out of either.