PDA

View Full Version : I think my varmint is too big for my livetrap...

fargonefarm
May. 27, 2012, 09:23 AM
For the last week, some sort of varmint - at this point I am assuming a raccoon - has been terrorizing my barn. The first morning I had empty feed bags strewn everywhere and my bag of BOSS had been broken into. Because of the lack of feces, I at first assumed possom (because let's face it - a raccoon can't go more than 4 feet without pooping on something :rolleyes:). I set my livetrap - a standard size one that is designed for possoms and raccoons, and baited it with a peanut butter sandwich.
The next morning, the paper towels were strewn all over the aisle and the trap had been tripped, but no varmint. So it either fished the sandwich out, or tripped the trap whilst it was in there and backed out because it came down on its back and just backed out.
Ticked me off, but no biggie, I'll just set it again. And because it appears to be a smart fella, I start thinking raccoon.
Next night I don't set it - I had gotten busy. And so had he: He came over to my house, scaled my clothesline pole where my two brand-new birdfeeders are, tore them apart, and ate every last stitch of birdseed.
OK you little bastard, says I - it's on! :mad: Now you're stalking me at my own house, not just the barn!!

Last night I bait the trap with crunchy peanut butter in a styrofoam bowl that I poked holes in and tied to the back wall of the trap so it couldn't be moved and he would have to go all of the way in to get.

This morning, bowl is there - chewed to pieces and the peanut butter is gone. Trap went off - AND NO RACCOON! The metal trash can where I now keep my BOSS has claw marks on it...big ones. And now I'm worried that he will get aggressive enough to chew through the locked wooded boxes where I keep my feed.

Now, we're known to have some pretty huge raccoons around here - I've seen em', shot em', have the t-shirt, but this guy must be MASSIVE if he's tripping the trap and not fully in it and can back out.

So what do I do? Do I get the next trap size up - which is basically the one designed for coyotes?

And before anyone suggests it - poisoning is not an option. I have a bunch of barn cats that I love to death.

This thing has got to go!

LauraKY
May. 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
Holy moly...sounds like you have a monster raccoon! I'd go up on the trap size and set a couple. Can you sit out at night with a gun to shoot it? Or, failing that, invite Mitt Romney over...he says he's good at shooting varmits. :)

We ended up having to lock up our feed and tack room at night. I used to leave it open for the barn cats...but they only have access during the day now. I was worried about an uptick of mice, but they haven't been a problem.

Bluey
May. 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
You seem to have your critter trained that there is good food around, so that he will be back is no problem.
I would, like already mentioned, go up on the size of the trap and wedge it with some hay bales, so there is only one way in there, maybe leave it tied so it doesn't come down for a day or two, then when the critter is comfortable in there, set it.

I wonder if you have more than one?
I never had one back or any way get out of a trap?
If they got in there, they were caught.
They have bent the trap door some, but they were in there and not going anywhere.

clanter
May. 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
are sure you don't have a deer invading the place?

MistyBlue
May. 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Sift some flour on the floor around the trap and around the feed.
Next morning at least you'll have prints to identify what your visitor is. ;)

fargonefarm
May. 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys :)

He left prints on the metal trash can holding the BOSS - and it would appear that it is most definately a raccoon.
It was suggested to me this morning by my trainer that I use a different live trap. I have the one that you get from TSC and he suggested the Have-a-Heart version. That makes sense since I could always catch raccoons with no problems in the Have-a-Heart no matter how big they were. The TSC version works a little differently and that could be the problem.

In any case, I have discovered that this one LOVES crunchy peanut butter and birdseed :sigh:

HalfArabian
May. 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
I have had a lot of success with the hav a hearts too. I tested them for the tension and put WD-40 on the mechanism to make it more pliable. For raccoons put cat food in there too. Perhaps if he has a buffett it will be hard to miss.:D Do you have bungy ties on the feed cans?

K