PDA

View Full Version : cool medics for horses

Blume Farm
May. 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
The hot weather has just started and got me thinking about possibly wanting to buy a cool medics vest for myself when jackets are waived. Then I got thinking if I am dying out there obviously my horse is too. Cool Medics makes some horse products and I was thinking about the ones below:

https://www.coolmedics.com/products.php?product=Neck-Cooler--2114

https://www.coolmedics.com/products.php?product=Poll-Cooler-%252d-2120

My idea was I could warm up with the poll cooler on her and then after the ride have the neck wrap ready to put on.

Does anyone use the vests in a hot humid climate? I don't need the products (vest for me, poll and/ or neck thingy for horse) to stay cool for hours upon hours, just for while riding and for a quick cool down after riding.

Anyone have the horse things?

twelvegates
May. 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm not in a humid climate, but they work well as long as there is nothing between the Cool Medics product and the air. So no vest under coat, no skull cap under helmet, etc.

Arab_Mare
May. 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
I find difficulty with these kind of products, as it's really just a fake cool down. The proper way to cool down is to cold rinse a horse, scrape it off immediately, go walk for a couple minutes, repeat, until horse is cool. The horse should get a moderate amount of water, cold *IS* fine, and then the cooling out process should continue.

The issue with tricks like these is that lactic acid builds up in the muscles, and muscles often get stiff. Just because the horse's legs, or neck, or whatever, is cool, doesn't mean the horse is cooled down.

Quickly cooling down after a hot day isn't really an option, although I do admit to wanting to just leave already. ;) Take time to rinse, scrape, walk, rinse, scrape, walk, until cool. Your horse will appreciate it.

mickeydoodle
May. 26, 2012, 11:49 PM
I am in a hot, humid climate (here in Lexington KY it was in the 90's today with high high humidity at the show at KY horse park) I bought the vest, it does not work in humidity, it has to evaporate to work. I have worn it a number of times, and after about 10min in a humid climate, it is a sweat box, makes riding worse in my opinion. When I took it off, I felt cooler.

Blume Farm
May. 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
I find difficulty with these kind of products, as it's really just a fake cool down. The proper way to cool down is to cold rinse a horse, scrape it off immediately, go walk for a couple minutes, repeat, until horse is cool. The horse should get a moderate amount of water, cold *IS* fine, and then the cooling out process should continue.

The issue with tricks like these is that lactic acid builds up in the muscles, and muscles often get stiff. Just because the horse's legs, or neck, or whatever, is cool, doesn't mean the horse is cooled down.

Quickly cooling down after a hot day isn't really an option, although I do admit to wanting to just leave already. ;) Take time to rinse, scrape, walk, rinse, scrape, walk, until cool. Your horse will appreciate it.

lactic acid build up and heat are sort of two different problems. Overheating doesn't cause lactic acid build up, but lactic acid production increases the bodies temperature. The only way for a horse to remove that excess heat is through breathing and sweating. Lactic acid production only happens when a horse is worked beyond capacity and no longer has enough oxygen for muscles to work properly. The muscles then begin an anaerobic process to continue working. I hope to not work my horse so much to even cross the bridge of anerobic exercising:)

I already do the hose off, wipe, hose, wipe, etc. after riding. I was hoping to have the poll cap on DURING riding to keep her cooler while exercising.

But maybe it is too humid here? Or I can dunk the vest and poll cap every 10 minutes in a bucket of cold water?

Blume Farm
May. 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
I am in a hot, humid climate (here in Lexington KY it was in the 90's today with high high humidity at the show at KY horse park) I bought the vest, it does not work in humidity, it has to evaporate to work. I have worn it a number of times, and after about 10min in a humid climate, it is a sweat box, makes riding worse in my opinion. When I took it off, I felt cooler.

Maybe that is the trick in a humid climate. You wear it for 10 minutes, after it is no longer effective you remove it and voila you are cool again:)

ldaziens
May. 27, 2012, 01:05 AM
I haven't tried cool medic, but I know from growing up on the gulf coast and spending a lot of time at the beach and sailing that cool wet clothing becomes hot wet clothing quickly.

I DO have a couple of bandanas that I got somewhere online , and they were very inexpensive. They have"beads" sewn into them that absorb water. It is very hot and humid here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and I keep mine in a container of water in the fridge. I'll grab one & put it on, go outside and do chores, then come in; spray it off in the sink with a bit of dishwashing detergent and rinse and back into the fridge. i definitely helps keep me cool, and the design is similar to this --

http://watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

So, if you sew or know crafty, sewing people, you could make your own with the beads. And, they have directions and a pattern for vests.

For cooling a horse, I have an older black mare w/ anhydrosis; and she gets hosed down with cool water until the water coming off her belly is cold; then scraped, then sprayed with a rubbing alcohol / water mixture, then scraped again. The rubbing alcohol really helps speed the evaporation / cooling. She also spends her days in the shade with fans and a misting system, which doesn't cool much by evaporation due to humidity - it cools by misting cold water. Poor girl also has heaves, so she is not ridden too much and definitely not in the heat.

And, I keep an alcohol based body spray in the freezer for me and spray that all over after coming in from the heat. Just not sure how you can incorporate spritzing yourselves with chilled rubbing alcohol / water while riding ; )

Lieslot
May. 27, 2012, 06:34 AM
Not sure if the backcooler would work, but I've been using the coldflex wraps and been pleasantly surprised how well they cooled the leg down.

You have to supervise however and only leave it on for about 15 mins. But when I take it off after 15 mins his leg is really cool to touch. I do put the stuff in the fridge prior to use however.
And when left on longer then 15 mins the leg warms up again.

I noticed they have a back cooler too and was thinking of getting that one for hot summer days: http://www.coldflex.com/vet-wrap.html

As for the cool medics, I had the jackets for my greyhound, but as other posters mentioned they only work when it's *not* humid.

Petstorejunkie
May. 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
Alcohol mixed with ice water and a sponge is way cheaper. In the summer we keep a bucket on a stand in a corner of the arena.

pook
May. 27, 2012, 07:35 AM
I always like my alcohol mixed with ice in hot weather - and with a bit of mint !!

carolprudm
May. 27, 2012, 11:13 AM

Keep the damp vest in the refrigerator between wearings. :yes: It works for about an hour that way

mickeydoodle
May. 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Keep the damp vest in the refrigerator between wearings. :yes: It works for about an hour that way

I did try that, but I must be really hot, or the temp here is really hot, because it only seemed to work for about 15min, I even tried the freezer- I beat on the vest to get it on, but it quickly got pliable, then hot, about 20 to 25 min. The helmet liner in the freezer worked for only 3-5 min. :confused: