PDA

View Full Version : What is the event saddle with the "holes"?

Come Shine
May. 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
This is driving me crazy. I cannot for the life of me remember what brand of saddle had the 'revolutionary' design with the 'holes' in the seat. I have googled everything I can think of but can't find it. Anyone?

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
lucky for you...I can't sleep.

Wise Saddles

http://wise-equestrian.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=24&vmcchk=1&Itemid=24

Come Shine
May. 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thank you!!!!

Now I can sleep. :)

SeeTheCityLights
May. 26, 2012, 11:59 PM
That seat seems like it would feel SO weird to sit in. You're not sitting most the time anyways, but still...

vineyridge
May. 27, 2012, 01:48 AM
Might be better for men. The old cavalry and Buena Vista saddles used to have the seat cut out. I'd guess it gives more room for the family jewels to move around without crushing.

Weatherford
May. 27, 2012, 04:16 AM
Actually, that looks like it would also work well for someone with cocyxx pain. The Stubben biomex was developed for that (and works for some, not for others).

;)

PeteyPie
May. 27, 2012, 04:40 AM
lucky for you...I can't sleep.

Wise Saddles

http://wise-equestrian.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=24&vmcchk=1&Itemid=24

Maybe I'm missing something... but am I the only one who finds it irritating that saddle weights are not listed? For example, this site promotes its saddle as "lightweight," a totally useless and subjective description. I could email them to "Inquire About the Product," but I don't want to do that for each and every product.

ClassAction
May. 27, 2012, 06:21 AM
I bought one of these saddles a few months ago and I love it. It puts my leg in just the right spot! While I noticed the hole for the first 5 minutes I was trying the saddle, I really don't any more. It does get attention though ;)

KateWooten
May. 27, 2012, 06:37 AM
I have one and love it. It's changed my jumping in a good way. I have demos too.

JWB
May. 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
I sat one at Rolex it and found the holes very disconcerting, but I suspect you'd get used to it relatively quickly. Yes weight is subjective, but it was very light weight when I picked it up. Nice leather, and attention getting....

retreadeventer
May. 27, 2012, 11:21 AM
I sat in one and didn't notice the hole at all. Very nicely made saddles.

guest12345
May. 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
Do you really think that the saddle keeps the horse cool though? I'm skeptical..

deltawave
May. 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ventilation holes are all the rage nowadays. :) Next will be XC vests with holes in them. :lol:

I think they're nice (sat in one, once) and would not hesitate to try and/or buy one if I was shopping, but not because they have holes in them. ;)

bizbachfan
May. 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
sat in one at Rolex, did like it, but ended up with a Prestige instead

purplnurpl
May. 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
stubben make a biomex seat.
it's the same concept for butt pain.

the hole seems a little dramatic for me. a little too much gingerbread there.

yellowbritches
May. 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
I could care less about the holes, but I am interested in trying one just because I think I can get the things I want without spending scary gobs of money. :yes: Everyone I know who has one seems to be happy with it.

eventer_mi
May. 27, 2012, 10:00 PM
I don't think the seat hole is there for pain relief - I think it's there to aid in ventilation and air flow. As far as that goes.....

I have one - got it super-cheap off Ebay from a woman who was going to sell them, but deecided not to sell saddles at all. She was going to keep it for her horsee, but apparently the gullets don't get wide enough for her mare. I noticed the hole in the seat the first couple of rides, and now I don't notice it at all. I find it similar to a bike saddle. The balance is very similar to my old Devoucoux Biarritz, but it seems to fit the horses better. The leather is quite nice and the calfskin is very tacky. Their standard flap isn't very forward - in order to get a more forward flap, you need to pay more. Regarding air flow, yes, it does help in ventilation as long as you use a simple saddle pad and saddle. Since my boy is quite partial to his Ecogold half-pad, I don't notice that much of a difference in sweat on his back. The one time I went without my EG pad, I did notice far less sweat. But that's not why I bought the thing.

The saddles are going up in price $500 after the end of May, so if you are looking, I'd buy now. Pictures of my saddle can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4078198237666&set=a.4078197877657.316827.1363827888&type=3.

KateWooten
May. 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
afaik, the Forward flap is the same price as the standard flap.

mademoiselle
May. 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
how much do they cost brand new ... ballpark ... just curious

eventingismylife
May. 28, 2012, 02:03 AM
how much do they cost brand new ... ballpark ... just curious

Looks like they are from $1950 to $3,500 depending on the saddle, leather, etc. It looks like you can order them from BoB:
http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wise_Equestrian_Saddles_s/488.htm

judybigredpony
May. 28, 2012, 07:03 AM
I don't think the seat hole is there for pain relief - I think it's there to aid in ventilation and air flow. As far as that goes.....

???? Except we all use saddle pads, jell pads, Ecogold pads,no slip pads wheres the ventlation benefit???

eventer_mi
May. 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
When I spoke with the rep, the forward flap is about $250 more than the standard flap. The calfskin option is also more $$$. The base price for a grained leather, standard flap (vent holes are standard) is $2100 right now, price to go up $500 June 1.

eventer_mi
May. 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Juicy - I said that with a regular pad, I noticed a difference. Not so much when I added a hal-pad. There's a video on the website that explains how the ventilation system supposedly works.

scubed
May. 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
Ecogold makes a pad with matching ventilation cut-out. Even without that, with a sheepskin pad, I totally notice the ventilation makes a difference. My guy's back is cool/dry over much of the back. Still quite sweatly under the panels and the flaps, but definitely a cool/dry spot. I really love this saddle (and have said so repeatedly). The leather is good quality and the saddle fits me well. I had a rep (from another company) check fit on my guy and other than recommending a shim on one side (as the dips behind his withers are uneven), she was pleased with the fit (TB with long, but not super high, withers, low rib attachment and fairly flat back).

HelenC
May. 31, 2012, 11:35 AM
WISE Equestrian will be at Waredaca this weekend so you can come by, check out their saddles, and ask any questions you have.

alto
May. 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
She was going to keep it for her horsee, but apparently the gullets don't get wide enough for her mare.

Thanks for this - now I know not to bother :sigh:

cadance
Jun. 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
anyone know where to find these used? and how do the gullets run width-wise?

eventer_mi
Jun. 5, 2012, 12:03 PM
cadance - they are so new on the market that you won't find them used. I think there was one on Ebay, but the auction ended already and the asking price was around $2300, so you could get a new one for about the same price. The gullets are pretty darn wide - they are supposed to take all the good things about the Devoucoux for the riders, and make them comfortable for the horses. The gullet on mine is pretty wide, but the twist is wide, too - something I'm not crazy about, but I can get used to it. I do have the widest gullet available in there, but I still think the twist is on the wider side.

SwampYankee
Jun. 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
stubben make a biomex seat.
it's the same concept for butt pain.

the hole seems a little dramatic for me. a little too much gingerbread there.

This strikes me as the kind of thing that's "kewl" one year, can't-give-it-away-on-E-Bay the next. Unless you've got money to burn, you need to love it enough to want it forever.

dani0303
Jun. 5, 2012, 08:28 PM
I actually know of someone selling one. She loved it but her horse passed and she is no longer in need of it. She swore she didn't notice the holes and it did makes a difference. I grew up in the h/j world so this looks sooooo weird to me lol.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 5, 2012, 08:33 PM
I was surprised at how nicely made the saddles are. I agree...the holes are a bit odd but nice saddles. I know a few people who have them and like them. I'm willing to give the a try. I do think that they are nicely made and getting more well known that they will not be hard to re-sell.

eventer_mi
Jun. 6, 2012, 08:58 AM
This strikes me as the kind of thing that's "kewl" one year, can't-give-it-away-on-E-Bay the next. Unless you've got money to burn, you need to love it enough to want it forever.

"They" said the same thing about monoflap saddles - "Oh, it's a fad; it won't be around in a few years" and the sale of them is still going strong. Every time we have a new saddle or tack innovation, people question it. Personally, I don't see anything too weird about the Wise-Air saddles, other than some vent holes cut in. LIke I said in my previous posts, I didn't buy it for the ventilation. I bought it because after talking to the rep, I was told that the balance of the saddle was similar to the Devoucouxs, but the comfort for the horse was taken into account. Plus, I got a KILLER deal on mine through Ebay. I figured I could sell it for more than what I paid for it, if it didn't work out for me. I am always looking for deals like this, and my pony outgrew my beloved Tex Eventer.

deltawave
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:28 AM
Every time we have a new saddle or tack innovation, people question it

True (and I'm generally one of them) but people always seem to buy it, too! At least enough that the next best thing keeps coming along that one can't possibly do without. :lol: Between the hard-core "early adopters" and the bah humbug types, there seems to be a decent enough balance. Monoflaps have stood the test of time. Tree-less saddles have not. The jury is probably still out on things like 5-point breastplates, Kevlar galloping boots and all the other things that were "must haves" within the past 5 years, but that's OK--keeps the horse economy a-moving! :yes:

riderboy
Jun. 6, 2012, 11:45 AM
I got mine in Aiken last March. I've been unhappy with my custom County fit for my boy in spite of multiple re-flockings. Any time I can get a rep, my horse, me, and an 18 1/2 XC saddle all together at the same time I'll give it a look. This thing fits my horse better, is lighter and has better ventilation with the cut out pad. The ventilation thing is fine, but the saddle fit on my horse sold it. Also, you can buy a different size gullet if you change horses. The hole in the seat is a little goofy, I actually find it a bit less comfortable for me than my well padded County. That's the only reason I'd give it 4.5/5 stars and even that is a minor bitch.

Zephyr
Jun. 6, 2012, 12:49 PM
I thought when it first came out (2011 Rolex?) the big selling point was that it was lightweight, something like 5 lbs? I guess you can compare that to up to 15 lbs in a regular saddle. That could be a factor over a long XC course.

The ventilation and fit sound impressive. I'd try one if the price were comparable to others in my budget.