PDA

View Full Version : Fire ants???? WHT????

carolprudm
May. 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
We had a mild winter and some bugs have made an early appearance. OK, I can deal with that. But yesterday I picked 3 red, winged ants off Sophie. They had very obvious stingers and were about 1/4 inch long.

Today I picked up a few flakes of hay to throw to the goats and disturbed a nest of smaller black ants. Thew swarmed up my arm to my hair, biting and or stinging on the way. I've got welts under my bra, and on my face and scalp. It probably would have been worse but I was in the shower within minutes. My clothes are in the washer on SANITIZE

We don't have fire ants in VA, do we???

ETA: Oh CRAP
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/444/444-284/444-284.html

ldaziens
May. 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Fire Ants SUCK! We moved down to Bay Saint Louis, MS from Alexndria, VA; and I spent the first year managing to stand in a nest of the just about every day.

#1 Get an Epi pen to have on hand if you don't have one already. You or a child or guest can have a very serious & very fast reaction to fire ant stings.

#2 My advice is to call Spalding Fly Predator customer service, as they have / know about the best product which they do not advertise on their site -- because it is not orgnic / natural. The rep told me about it.
1-888-880-1579

I am one who favors the least toxic / most natural method possible -- especially because I have free range birds. But, there is no effective natural method to control fire ants - despite all of the random nonsense on the internet. Talk to the Spalding people, but I think the product the recommended was "Extinguish". I already had Andros,
http://www.amdro.com/All-Products/firestrike-fire-ant-bait-mound-treatment/overview

and I used a minimal amount - treating mound by mound and placing a hardware cloth cage around the area to keep the birds out of the bait. Personally, I would be reluctant to broadcast it all over, but it depends on the size of your place and your circumstances.

I did not see Spotsy on that quarantine list, so you may want to check w/ your local extension office to figure out exactly what you have there.

More info here - Good Luck!
http://fireant.tamu.edu/controlmethods/index.php

Amwrider
May. 27, 2012, 01:15 AM
My feed store lady gave me a great home made recipe for ant killer. In a spray bottle, add permectrin and water in a 1:7 ratio and add in some maple syrup. Shake it up well before use.

The syrup attracts the ants. It works very well and I use it around the farm. Just be careful about using it around cats.

clanter
May. 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
We don't have fire ants in VA, do we???

the most common method of transporting fire ants into new areas is in nursery stock (bushes/trees grown south brought north)

evil little things

ldaziens
May. 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
My feed store lady gave me a great home made recipe for ant killer. In a spray bottle, add permectrin and water in a 1:7 ratio and add in some maple syrup. Shake it up well before use.

The syrup attracts the ants. It works very well and I use it around the farm. Just be careful about using it around cats.

If you are boarding your horses and just dealing with a few normal ants at your house, then maybe... but not really. The problem with this idea - aside from animals being attracted to it and poisoned (and it wouldn't just be cats attracted to it) - is that you absolutely must use a bait specifically targeted to eliminating fire ant mounds in order for it to be effective. Believe me, lots of super brainy people have studied and studied this -- extensively. Fire ants cause HUGE financial losses in agriculture, and they will kill baby horses and livestock as well as sick or elderly animals.

Fire ants, and especially the invasive, imported ones are amazing -- in scary ways. The reason the baits have to be slow acting is so that they make their way down to the multiple queens and the queens eat enough to be sterilized by the IGR. If the ants sense that something is up - by seeing other ants sick / dying; the queens and ants will move. The ants you see and that you could kill on the surface are the tiniest tip on the iceberg.

The best baits are really the least toxic and least expensive solution, because they are effective.

MelantheLLC
May. 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
Great FAQ about fire ants, including info in phorid flies, which have been successfully introduced in small areas in Texas for biocontrol. Still experimental but hopeful.

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~gilbert/research/fireants/faqans.html