PDA

View Full Version : First I1 next weekend eeeek!

Rooty
May. 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
And a question.
What is the canter half-pass zig-zag supposed to look like?
I haven't consulted the new omnibus yet, so I am working off the 2009 I1, I'll check to see if the test has changed for 2012 when I am not at work.
My take on it is up centreline at A, half-pass to 1/4 line right, change and half-pass left to other 1/4 line, change and half-pass right to centreline then straight and flying change to left lead?

dudleyc
May. 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
You got it right - have fun in your first I1!!!!

Rooty
May. 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks! I am looking at it as a schooling experience.... just hoping not to completely embarrass myself. We are on the borderline of being ready and a sensible person would stick to PSG for the first show, however no-one has ever accused me of being one of those, lol.

caper
May. 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Have a good show Rooty! Get a couple of good dress rehearsals in before show day and swallow those nerves. You'll be fine. ;)

dudleyc
May. 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
If I waited until I felt I was really ready...well I'd never show:)

Great good luck!

Big Spender
May. 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
I think we all have that feeling...that if we wait until we are ready...we may never get to a show! My sister just did her first I-1 this weekend in Lexington and I will be doing my first 3rd 1 next weekend. Look at it as another training tool. We always have something to learn. Have a great ride and enjoy :D

Carol O
May. 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
You rock! Ride and enjoy!

J-Lu
May. 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
Good luck!

Count your strides from the centerline, don't just aim for the quarterline. Three strides to the right, six strides to the left, three strides to centerline, then flying change at G.

mickeydoodle
May. 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
Good luck!

Count your strides from the centerline, don't just aim for the quarterline. Three strides to the right, six strides to the left, three strides to centerline, then flying change at G.

absolutely this- you must count the strides, the judges are looking for this, I have scribed for many of these

good luck:)

Kaluna
May. 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Exactly what mickey and J-Lu said. Judges are looking to see that your zigzag is centered on the centerline and they DO count strides. Check out actual movement and the way it's worded. I would rather ride short or long to the quarterline than change the striding, judge comments and scores have supported this in my experience. Have a great time! :yes:

cnm161
May. 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
The I-1 canter halfpass sequence is more like 5-10-5, not 3-6-3. The GP halfpass sequence is 3-6-6-6-3.

Quarterline to quarterline and you'll be fine! I love that test.

J-Lu
May. 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
The I-1 canter halfpass sequence is more like 5-10-5, not 3-6-3. The GP halfpass sequence is 3-6-6-6-3.

Quarterline to quarterline and you'll be fine! I love that test.

Hey, CNM, is that right? Have you ridden it that way without comment?

Here's the test from the FEI site:
http://www.fei.org/sites/default/files/file/OFFICIALS%20%26%20ORGANISERS/ORGANISERS/DRESSAGE/Dressage%20Tests/Inter_I_09_1.pdf

cnm161
May. 27, 2012, 09:33 PM
Yes ma'am! I've gotten 8s for the 5-10-5 combo. The I-2 has a 4-8-8-4 halfpass series, so it makes sense that the I-1 is slightly less challenging.

I've also gotten 8s for riding it 6-12-6. Essentially as long as there are the same number of strides from centerline to quarterline every time (and you have appropriate bend/straight changes/clear 3 beats/impulsion/expression... alright, so this isn't a walk in the park but you get the idea), you're going to get a decent score.

That all being said, my horse is a champion at the halfpass zig zag and basically carries me along like the dead weight I am. I somehow wonder why he's so great at his job when I'm the one that trained him.

mickeydoodle
May. 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
Having scribed for lots of these-the judges count "one two three, straight, change,straight, one two three four five six, straight, change, straight, one two three straight, change, straight, turn

mickeydoodle
May. 27, 2012, 11:12 PM
Having scribed for lots of these-the judges count "one two three, straight, change,straight, one two three four five six, straight, change, straight, one two three straight, change, straight, turn

best to work it out multiple times in the ring with your horse's stride lenght, ability, bend, etc before the show:eek:

cnm161
May. 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
I feel like I'm being a stickler about this, but there's no way you can do 3 halfpasses centerline-quarterline, quarterline-quarterline, and quarterline-centerline from D to G in 12 strides (3-6-3) unless you're really hauling patootie. I mean, balls-to-the-wall extended canter. Which could be exciting, don't get me wrong...

I generally count 1-2-3-4 (straight) change, 1-2-3-4-5 (on centerline) 6-7-8-9-(straight) change, 1-2-3-4 straight, change. Keep the number of strides on either side of the centerline the same. Keep the straightness in the changes (and really, the stride before you change). When you land from the change, you should start the halfpass to the other direction.

You can get decent scores without matching 1:1 the number of strides from quarterline to centerline, but you'll be capped at 6 or 7 assuming everything else is fantastic.

And have fun at your first I-1! Be sure to tell us how it went.

alibi_18
May. 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Where is your trainer? How could you not know how the movement is done/looks like a week before the show, especially at that level?!

I understand that things don't have to be perfect all the time, and that shouldn't stop one from showing, especially when aiming at going up the levels but still, get yourself a good trainer that will teach you the 'how to' and have you practice enough so both you and your horse will be confident/ready enough to perform properly and be at your best! Oh, well...you are maybe braver than me! And you still have a week to practice.

Really wishing you good luck!