PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a GOOD sprayer!

Mali
May. 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
I am at my wits end. I have 5 fruit trees (plums, apples, apricots) and every year I end up having to buy a new sprayer. I am willing to plunk down some serious money, if I know it will LAST many years. My father and I have even discussed going halves on a professional type one, since he has fruit trees as well. Has anybody found any 3-5 gallon sprayers that are worth their price, or should I just throw them out every season and buy new $20 ones? I just got back from Tractor Supply, where I bought (2) 1.5 gallon ones for $19.99. I figure I can fill them both, and just switch them out instead of refilling the same one. I'm willing to just toss them out in a few months, after harvest is finished this year.

sk_pacer
May. 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Apparently, there isn't a real solution. A lady in town is on her 3rd sprayer in 2 years: one worked beautifully for one application and gummed up, never to spray again, another doesn't hold pressure, the third still kind of works, at least well enough to kill dandelions.

carolprudm
May. 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
I've had good luck with Chapin sprayers
http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-61900-Commercial-Backpack-4-Gallon/dp/B001FA09S2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1338058569&sr=8-10

Katy Watts
May. 26, 2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.solousa.com/store/browse/backpack_sprayers.html

Solo brand

hosspuller
May. 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
First ... What are you trying to spray ?? Wetable powders? oils? Then you have to determine what materials resist the spray. Then what sprayers work best with that form. eg... Solo diaphram pumps are good with wetable powders, Piston types...not so good. Liquids... the Solo piston pumps are top notch. My Solo piston back pack sprayer has lasted 14 years with round-up and other corrosive herbicides.

Tom King
May. 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
We have a bunch of different ones, from cheap ones to Solo's. They will all last if you rinse them out after each use. I kept empty tanks (from ones years ago before I learned how to maintain them) to pump soapy water through the pump after use.

Another important thing to remember is to completely empty them before freezing weather gets close. I lost a few from that a long time ago too.

The seals eventually have to be replaced, and sometimes the valve in the handle starts leaking. Even the cheap ones from Ace Hardware have replacement parts available.

If you aren't going to take care of them, buy the cheap ones from Ace.