PDA

View Full Version : What do you do? As in your job....to PAY for the horse addiction

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:01 AM
OK, I'm reading about all the fees that people have to pay their trainers at shows, so my question is what do you do?...and this is mostly for the adults, since most juniors have parents footing the bills.

I hope the juniors will read it and think about their own future for when the 'rents aren't footing the bills anymore.

How much education do you have? How do you prioritize expenses to afford it? How do you get the time off? Are you self employed? Doctor/Lawyer/Stockbroker etc?

If you have another budget killer, besides the horses, have you put showing on the back burner?

I'm assuming that the vast majority of people who show are not of Rockerfeller/Vanderbilt/Carnegie/DuPont/Firestone/pick the family trust fund adults...or ARE there really that many trust fund families out there<g>. If so, I must say, I ADMIRE your ancestors for making a fortune and having the intelligence to manage it well enough to pass it on! Wish mine had been a smidge smarter<g>.

I have a bachelors degree, and work in the computer industry. I've been doing it long enough to have a comfortable salary, but it isn't a "no budget" sort of comfortable. I'm also married so my husband has an ok salary too, but still not the "no budget" variety.

I keep my horses at home and only get sporadic lessons, but work hard to ride well and make the rides count.

I started a business that partially helps finance my horse habit, hence the screenname, I do saddle fittings, flocking and also sell Albion saddles.

BUT, I also have a budget killer....a son who goes to an independent private school. I could do an A show a month...12 a year if I wasn't financing his excellent education. But, he is worth it and I don't mind just doing an occassional schooling show.

So, what profession did you choose, why, and has it satisfactorily financed your habit?

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:01 AM
OK, I'm reading about all the fees that people have to pay their trainers at shows, so my question is what do you do?...and this is mostly for the adults, since most juniors have parents footing the bills.

I hope the juniors will read it and think about their own future for when the 'rents aren't footing the bills anymore.

How much education do you have? How do you prioritize expenses to afford it? How do you get the time off? Are you self employed? Doctor/Lawyer/Stockbroker etc?

If you have another budget killer, besides the horses, have you put showing on the back burner?

I'm assuming that the vast majority of people who show are not of Rockerfeller/Vanderbilt/Carnegie/DuPont/Firestone/pick the family trust fund adults...or ARE there really that many trust fund families out there<g>. If so, I must say, I ADMIRE your ancestors for making a fortune and having the intelligence to manage it well enough to pass it on! Wish mine had been a smidge smarter<g>.

I have a bachelors degree, and work in the computer industry. I've been doing it long enough to have a comfortable salary, but it isn't a "no budget" sort of comfortable. I'm also married so my husband has an ok salary too, but still not the "no budget" variety.

I keep my horses at home and only get sporadic lessons, but work hard to ride well and make the rides count.

I started a business that partially helps finance my horse habit, hence the screenname, I do saddle fittings, flocking and also sell Albion saddles.

BUT, I also have a budget killer....a son who goes to an independent private school. I could do an A show a month...12 a year if I wasn't financing his excellent education. But, he is worth it and I don't mind just doing an occassional schooling show.

So, what profession did you choose, why, and has it satisfactorily financed your habit?

Anyplace Farm
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:17 AM
I'm the Executive Aide to the CEO of a software company.

If I didn't have a horse, I could live in a really nice house. But, what the heck...there is a sense of luxury to not having a husband or living with someone and spending every dime you earn on yourself and what makes you happy.

Ahhhhh!

neighsayer
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:18 AM
a career yet but I work for a large Mutual Fund company. I work as a customer service rep for most of the day and then cover reception for the last few hours or during vacations. I have my BBA and intend to do some additional schooling. I love that I work for a company that will pay for education.

My salary pretty much pays for the horse and some bills while my fiance's pays the majority of the bills.

I have one horse and I ride 5 to 6 times a week. It is a killer on time and thankfully my fiance is understanding. I do show (eventing right now) but it can be hectic around work, making time for him, and trying to pay for it all. I do like though that when I go home I don't worry about work all night.

http://communities.msn.ca/KristinSaunders/PhotoAlbums

fleet
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:20 AM
I let my husband pay for my horse expenses!*G*
I explained it to him like this..with all the money he spends on them, wouldnt it just be a shame if I was working all the time and didnt go out and enjoy them? Low and behold... he fell for it!LOL

I work for a medical temp agency(been there for ten years). I pretty much work only enough to keep my employment status up to date. I worked full time when I was first married, and sacrificed ALOT(mac and cheeze every nite for years) to keep my horses. Worked fulltime for a trainer, cleaned barn.ect.. I am blessed by a very kind husband who pays for all of it now becuase he figures it makes me easier to live with, and he enjoys them alot also.

I still do make sacrifices for my horses,my wardrobe has suffered alot since owning horses, and I have learned how to really shop for the best deals on horse equipment,I buy lots of second hand show clothing,I will spend money on good tack, but take extremely good care of it so it will last forever.

onthebit
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:20 AM
To answer your question I own my own company and do pretty well financially which is nice. However, in order to do that I have to work 60 hour weeks, so between horses and riding (have a hunter and a jumper that I keep at home) I don't have time for anything else! I am lucky in that my husband is VERY supportive of my riding goals and rarely pressures me about spending too much time with horses. Between working and riding two horses almost every day I usually get home at about 10pm every night.

Some questions for you . . . I have an Albion saddle and love it. How did you become "eligible" to sell Albions? Just curious as it sounds neat!!

Tobi
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:31 AM
i am of the weird breed of people who grew up on a horse farm (my parents have a local show/hunt barn with 35 horses), but did not grow up to be a professional. basically, my parents brainwashed/ pressured me to do something other than horses for a living, so that i could afford to compete on the A circut.

while there have been times i wished i was a professional, i would have to say 11 years later that i definitely made the right decision. i went to Bucknell univ. and got a BA in Economics. i then worked for Andersen Consulting (management/computer consultant) for 10 years and lived in NYC. since my horse always lived at my parents 2 hours outside the city, that meant i was only riding on weekends for that entire time...

last year i made the big move and quit Andersen and left nyc. i got a job 20 minutes from where my horse lives!! i now work as an internal technology consultant at Deutsche Bank. as for the $$, i am on a strict budget that is made possible since i don't pay board for my horse at my parents farm AND i have no kids...

it is all worth it though, i now ride at least 5 days a week and many times more than 1 horse. i will be heading to Ocala for my 5th year...

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:35 AM
I bought my own first Albion used, and loved it so much that.....

I found out that they had "sales consultant" positions available. It entailed buying a demo package (minimum 8 saddles) and going up to NY for a week for training in flocking and fitting, and the desire to constantly learn something new when a "difficult to fit" horse comes along. I'm also probably going to go up again and "study" with the VP who has done the British Saddle Fitters certification.

It is fun, but like any small business, not without its headaches. I love meeting people and fitting horses.

It does NOT pay all the bills and I can't imagine it being a full time job...not with MY spending habits /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif . Some of the sales consultants do it full time, they are on the road a lot and really have to work hard, and one nasty customer can almost make a person want to quit.

I have a LOT more empathy for the tack store owners out there now, and definitely understand why there are so many who won't let you girth a saddle and ride. Everyone wants to try a saddle, but I've run into an amazing number of people who want a discount on a saddle because it was tried by someone else (as in, the billets have girth marks). Many are reasonable and understand that if there is a policy on trying saddles, they might get one that has been tried.

It is VERY time consuming, and also very seasonal. I love knowing how to flock and fit saddles though, I can adjust my own for my ultra-sensitive mare.

Mel

Inverness
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:45 AM
I am a lawyer in Wash. DC. Before I began riding I made a career decision to leave private practice and the big bucks to work inhouse for a trade association. I've never been happier.

Now that I'm riding I could certainly use a private firm salary, but then I'd never have time to ride. I'd rather budget and actually be able to get to the barn.

I'm married but with no children - that also helps the financing front.

I don't have the $$ to start showing right now b/c we are supporting my monster-in-law. Once she kicks the bucket we'll have a lot more financial freedom. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"There's something about the outside of a horse that's good for the inside of a man."

-- Winston Churchill

UndeniedGirl
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:46 AM
I suck up to mommy /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Well, and my neighbor with two horses who I spend every evening working out in her barn for, but that *was* going towards a car, until my mother cajoled (is that how you spell it? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif ) my into purchasing a new laptop with it /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

*Cass*

<~><*><~>

Fearfully, only time will tell, for it is all a leap of faith...

Life is not a spectator sport!

Smile...it makes people wonder what you have been doing /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Therese
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:49 AM
Well, I'm a Captain in the Air Force, so you can look up how much (little?) I make.

I was lucky to get a full scholarship, so at least I don't have student loans to pay for, unlike my husband. Jack works also. I'm an Industrial Engineer with a BS, and 1/2 way through my MS in Systems Engineering. Don't really use either one at work where I'm a Manpower Officer (Kinda like Human Resources in the civilian world.) Jack is a Financial Manager, BA type, and works for the military too, but has long hair. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Between the two of us, we're comfortable, but not extravagant. No kids helps too.

One bad side of the AF is I have to move every 2-3 years, so keeping the horsie at home is a dream for retirement (just 10 more years.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) So boarding, eats up a bunch of my spare horsie cash. Add the care and training during the "business trips" I have to take, and that's a bit o' money.

I haven't started showing here yet, hopefully in the spring...we'll see how far I can stretch that Captain's pay... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

OnceAThief
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:51 AM
That's how I'm paying for a good percentage of everything now..

Eventually, I'd like to get my commissioned portrait business off the ground - I've stalled out currently due to having sold my entire portfolio after high school and not being able to find the dang slides of anything. Argh! I want to do pet portraits in between showing, but my trainer keeps insisting I set up a Horse Psychology tent, complete with giant-size Freud couch, to psychoanalyse everyone between classes /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I pay for coaching and trailering by being a barn slave, but that's just a given.. I'd do that even if I was financially independent/free

Magnolia
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:51 AM
I'm a grad students, previously a designer and I've never made enough $ (yet!) to own a horse. Luckily, I've happened upon a good lease deal, and now I pretty much work off my riding by teaching beginner riding lessons where I ride. Any money I have left over will go to lessons or competeing or whatnot.

If you have a tight budget, a lease is good - it gets you in the saddle, while not holding you responsible for huge expenses (I pay a percentage of board, shoeing, and vet care).

When grad school is all over and I'm a decently paid planner, I hope to buy a horse, and keep teaching my Saturday lessons.

I never plan on wearing fancy clothes or driving a new car. I also have a feeling most of my vacations will be spent in a tent /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

jacksmom
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:01 AM
my clients are primarily non-profit groups, foundations, and associations. some of my sites are www.familyplanet.org, (http://www.familyplanet.org,) www.awf.org, (http://www.awf.org,) www.youthactionnet.org, (http://www.youthactionnet.org,) www.lachealthaccounts.org/en/index.php, (http://www.lachealthaccounts.org/en/index.php,) www.synergyaids.org, (http://www.synergyaids.org,) www.worldbank.org/wbi/healthflagship (http://www.worldbank.org/wbi/healthflagship)

pretty dreamy job, 6 blocks from the house, great clients, great causes. not a huge paycheck, but i get to design and direct, it pays the bill and i feel pretty good about our work.

-jacksmom

Flashy Gray
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:02 AM
Great topic, SaddleFitter!

I work in the political field, from the campaign/fundraising/public affairs side of things, not the policy/legislative side. I have a B.A. and never went to grad school.

Now in my early 30s, I finally have the financial security to ride seriously again. However, I find that I have to keep away from the tack shops to avoid temptation, and it boils down to choices: me vs. the horse. And the horse ALWAYS gets the better end of the deal! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I live in an older house in an older neighborhood (which I try to keep clean myself, NOT!), but he lives in a new house in a nice neighborhood and has a staff to care for him! Do I buy the brand new suit for work, or deck him out in a toasty high-tech Rambo Wug? I haven't been to a proper salon for haircut/highlights/manicure in months, but his toes are taken care of every 4-6 weeks, he's thoroughly groomed 5 days a week with the right equipment, and Cowboy Magic brings out his highlights, etc. etc. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Besides, a clean healthy happy horse gives me far more satisfaction than any manicure that chips after 4 days. It's all about priorities, I can't afford to pamper me and him, so my money pays to pamper him as best I can.

My biggest problem is that I am a stickler for quality over quantity (I would rather have one nice item than multiple not-so-nice items) and that can be expensive when it comes to big ticket items. For example, I own only one bridle, but it's an Edgewood. My guy is green and we haven't shown this year, but we'll start showing next spring and I'll need to get some new custom boots for myself (the soles on my Dehner's from my college days are beyond repair)so we'll wait to show until I can afford to turn myself out properly (or what is "proper" according to me). My intent here is not to sound like a name-brand snob; I'll take a quality bargain when I see it, but if I am going to do the "horse show thing" I want to do it right, and if it means waiting to do it right, then it will be all the more worth it.

Getting back to the career thing, the issue of time more than anything held me back from riding in my 20s. I was so busy working hard to establish myself, there would have been no time to care for a horse. Now that I have worked hard, gotten to a more secure salary level and can afford it, it makes my time with my horse that much more special!

Wonder Why
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:04 AM
I'm a teacher (Masters) so that has it's financial limitations but the summer is great for riding, Husband makes OK $ also but certainly not enough to "do" the A circuit. I might get to one or two B rated (they may be A's, I don't know) show a year. Otherwise, it is the local circuit, day shows for me (and only a few of those). I keep my horses at home and have had my show clothes for 10 years!! I must say, those TS last forever. We also don't have any biped children.

tle
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:07 AM
Therese... you need to get sent over this direction! I could always use a new buddy at the Wright-Patt stables. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I work on computers for a regional department store and love it! Which is good because I get paid decently and am something of a tree-hugger. It pays the bills, although due to some p*ss poor decisions, barely with the credit cards (I'm working on it!!)... but does allow me to show quite a bit. We ended up competing at 7 horse trials plus the three-day last season. I'm still paying the vet, but that's ok. I don't have a new car (drive my 93 truck every day) and live in a 1 bedroom apartment... but it works.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:09 AM
I'm lucky enough to have parents that have/will support anywhere from three to five horses (usually one that doesn't show, but board is a *!(<&) on the A circuit, and frankly, I'm getting SCARED!! I have three/four years before I go to college, and my wonderful parents have agreed [even encouraged) to support me [they did for my brother as well) to take one/two gap years to show ao plus jumpers and travel, but there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think "what happens then"? i'm looking at colleges in urban but horse friendly areas, but I'm not sure if I can ride through college. I know I won't even think about going pro.

The way I got into this VERY fortunate situation was by having a father that worked 100 hour weeks, could I do that? would I be miserable? It would be worth not doing what I want to do if I could have horses, but would I be shortchanging them/me? What good is having them if I have no free time to see them? then I'm not their friend, i'm their owner. yuck. ahhhh. Let me just say how much I respect all of you and admire you for finding a way to balance horses/work. I can only hope that I am able to do such a good job when I have to.

charter memeber, Thread Killers Anonymous
(yes, this means you should yell at me when my posts are too long, and bump threads that I kill)

"People come and go in this Forest, and they say, 'It's only Eeyore, so it doesn't count.' They walk to and fro saying 'Ha Ha!'. BUMP MY POSTS!!!

TSWJB
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:11 AM
I am an accountant. My current job allows me to ride my horses during the week and pays all my horse expenses. I can afford to show a lot &
pay all my bills. My job also provides a large chunk of money every year for retirement. My dilemma is that I am bored and I want to find a new challenge. But the interviews I have been on, require tons of overtime. they are good jobs with more upward mobility than I can get at my
current job, but I probably would not get to ride that much. ANY ADVICE FROM ANYONE? Stay at a comfortable job and ride a lot or move to
a more challenging position, but then I would not be able to ride that much? riding is very important to me.

Flash44
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:

I'm married but with no children

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Husband + Billy = 2 kids!

Use the Force.

Hoofer
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:15 AM
I currently work for a university in DC managing an IT program. I have a BA and I am working on a Master's in Human Resources. I would like to say I am getting the degree for the sake of learning, but that would be a lie. I am getting the Master's so I can get a better job and have more money for my horses. It's all about the horses you know! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dogchushu
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:16 AM
I'm a marketing manager for a financial services company. I have an MBA and have been working in my field for 7 years. I make a decent salary, but I was surprised at how much I had to trim out of my non horse budget when I bought the mare.

Before I got the horse, I have to admit I was a bit frivolous with my money. I took lavish vacations, always ate out, and had new clothes.

But like Flashy Grey, you learn to live with less. These days I have a smaller house, fewer new clothes, fewer trinkets, and drive an older car that I manage to keep going rather than buy a new one. But what the heck, why should I buy a shiney new car when I'm only going to throw my dirty paddock boots into it?

I'm not married and I have no kids. That helps because if it's a horse vs. me question, I have no problem putting the horse first. And I never have to worry about buying something for the kids vs. something for the horse.

The biggest change in my lifestyle is that I've realized things can be FIXED! Not just replaced. I am amazed at what people throw away. Even horse people. I've seen decent halters with good leather and just one broken buckle tossed into the trash. (You better believe I grabbed that one!)

Flash44
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:17 AM
I investigate insurance fraud and work from home full time. It started out as a part time evening job while I was galloping at the track. Then winter came, I quit galloping and 7 years later, I'm still with the same company! I have a BA in Psychology.

I actually went riding this morning! Working from home allows you to do that. But I've been carrying a double and triple caseload since June, and am quite exhausted. It pays well, and since I don't have to deal with daycare, a wardrobe, or a commute, I stick with it.

Use the Force.

Sophie 71
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:22 AM
I'm the Editor of a monthly small business trade magazine. I have a B.A., nothing more.

Usually, you need a Masters in Journalism or something to get my position. I was lucky in that the previous Editor never came back from her maternity leave, and I, as Assistant Editor, was given a chance to prove myself.

I own one horse, a hunter mare. I show mainly at schooling shows, and I do everything myself (grooming, braiding, etc.). I take lessons about twice a month.

I have an interesting living situation. A little over a year ago, the manager at my boarding barn quit without notice and they had no one to live in her little rental house on the property. So, even though I don't officially work at the barn, I rent the house for next to nothing and help out with some chores here and there. My horse is in my backyard, and I don't even have to clean her stall /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I make decent money now, but for the first few years out of college (I'm 30) it was tough. I shareboarded a bit, and then fell upon the horse I have now, which I got for FREE. Can't beat that price.

Elmo
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:25 AM
stay where you are!!!!! But keep looking in the meantime, but it sounds like you got it good........you might find something that works better for you though......!

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:28 AM
They are the best!

This is great, sometimes we can fall into the trap of thinking that someone else had it handed it to them on a silver platter, because all we see is the "show" appearance, or what they DO have, we don't know what someone sacrificed to HAVE those ponies and show.

You know...I am still paying the piper on being out of control on CCs for a while /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif but I hope to have those all paid off by the end of 2002. Once that is done, I'll have a bit more in my budget.....maybe.

See, I'm thinking about making a career move, which would mean, still no money for showing, BUT, lots of time for riding and doing things with the munchkin. I'm currently doing teacher training to teach yoga. I started taking yoga about 6 years ago to improve my riding, and it worked wonders. Still does, but I began to like it for yoga, so actually think teaching it would be way cool. It also would provide a more flexible schedule for those saddle fittings and riding and helping kiddo w/ homework, school activities, so on and so forth.

But, I have to NOT use credit for ANYTHING, get myself a savings buffer, and pay as I go.

Unfortunately, my parents were the model of financial IRresponsibility and I've learned that there are better ways....like "do without" /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

Mel

Lucassb
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:38 AM
I faced the decision you are trying to make a few years ago, but in reverse - I had the highflying/ upward potential job I had "always" wanted (or so I thought) but had no time to ride. I worked most weekends, traveled a lot, and was pretty stressed out. Yes, the money was very good, but I spent quite a bit also; don't underestimate what it costs to live in designer suits, pay all the help at home, even the drycleaning... it all adds up.

Of course, there is also the element of being interested/challenged/satisfied with your job and career, and if you are really bored, that is something to consider very carefully.

I took a "lesser" job where I don't travel much, can ride most nights after work, and seldom work much on weekends. There is not much upward mobility here, but the salary is pretty good and I generally work only about 45 hours a week - a big change from the 90+ hours I used to put in. It is not as interesting as the work I used to do - but I also don't wake up in the middle of the night wondering how I was going to pull off the next miracle, either (and I used to do a LOT of that.)

Our office environment is business casual, which is certainly easier and less expensive (although I have to admit I do sort of miss dressing up at work - somehow I just don't feel as sharp in a pair of khakis...) I work in marketing for a software company (director level) and have graduate degrees in marketing and finance. The horse bills often take priority; for instance, I bought a much more modest house than most of my peers, and while my lifestyle is certainly comfortable, it is not extravagant.

I get three weeks of vacation a year, which allows me to show about once a month, on average. About half the shows I do are local (PSJ or Rush Mgt) and the balance are A shows - but mostly in this area so I don't have big travel bills or time constraints. My big splurge is to do FL (Ocala) in the winter; my horse will go for two weeks, while I will likely do one week plus a long weekend, if I'm lucky.

Getting the time off to show is probably my biggest challenge. Long weekends are usually the rule and I very seldom show during the week - there are many times I cannot take a "whole" Friday off and just leave early enough so I can school that afternoon. I'd love to do a few weeklong shows, but for now that luxury is pretty limited.

To appreciate heaven well
'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
Will Carleton (1845-1912)

Flashy Gray
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:44 AM
SaddleFitter -- we need a good yoga instructor in NoVa geared toward us equestrians, you should go for it! Bowing Dog (or whatever the position is called = stretched hamstrings = deep effective seat!

Jstr - what a wonderful opportunity to compete at the highest level of our sport you have had! I know that you may feel anxious about what the future will hold, but remember the beauty of our sport is that you aren't forced into retirement at age 21! You have the rest of your life to ride and learn -- although I never seemed to remember this when I was a junior /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So take full advantage of the non-horsey educational and "life" opportunities that come your way. It might mean taking a break from the horses for a while, but when you get back to it, your horsey life is that much richer.

Plus you can talk about things at cocktail parties other than hocks, straight 3/bending 4 options, and ratios of alfalfa v. timothy in hay. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wendy
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:01 AM
definitely go with the job where you have time to ride. You can always manage to scrape and save money, but time is precious. I took a job with very flexible hours but much lower pay than I could be making working 60+ hours elsewhere. It's definitely worth it.

LaurieB
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:03 AM
I feel pretty lucky compared to most of you, because I'm self-employed so I can make time to ride and show whenever I want to. On the other hand, it took me years (decades actually) to reach this position where I call my own shots.

I write mystery novels set in the dog show world (which is what I did in the years that I couldn't afford horses) and am able to support my "horse habit" pretty well, especially since my husband is very well employed and his salary takes care of the other bills. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:04 AM
but don't you know that EVERYONE is interested in feeding??? personally, I find equine acupuncture to be a real conversation starter lol. for a REALLY tough crowd, ulcers are a no brainer. my parents ARE the best!

(yes, this means you should yell at me when my posts are too long, and bump threads that I kill)

"People come and go in this Forest, and they say, 'It's only Eeyore, so it doesn't count.' They walk to and fro saying 'Ha Ha!'. BUMP MY POSTS!!!

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:07 AM
I am just breading into the adult world and its hitting me hard. Who knew that the day you turned 19 was the day all horse funding from parents stopped! Ak!

I work at a vet clinic and I love it, but I dont work a ton of hours so I try do do lots of odd jobs when Im not at school to help pay for board on one (maybe 2 now) horses. Its strange how I can spend more than double what I make in a month and not have anything (except for fat horses) to show for it.

If I work more, i can afford it, however I will have no time to ride. If I work less, I can ride more but wont be able to pay bills. Gah...this sucks. Anyone rich wanting to adopt a 19 year old and pay her bills???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Flashy Gray
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:13 AM
JSTR - the other night at a dinner party with NO other horsey people, I inadvertantly started talking about German martingales. Honestly, I didn't mean to, it just sorta came up /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The group of 8 long-suffering non-horsey friends gave me 30 seconds, and then eyes glazed and heads drooped into the first course.

I extracted myself by quickly wrapping up with a witticism done in an over-the-top thick German accent, and there were no more horse discussions for the rest of the evening.

Merry
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:15 AM
I'm kind of a kindred spirit with LaurieB. I write, too, and my husband pays most of the "heavy" bills. But don't think I married for $$$, LOL! My husband's a teacher! I have a Master's in English, and two teaching credentials. I used to teach.

I work from home and as long as I stay ahead of writing deadlines I have plenty of time to ride. My husband's really good about letting me spend most of my income on the horses, as long as I pay the bills I'm assigned. Of course, if he only knew how much $$ I kiss off at shows, etc... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As for the horses themselves, there is absolutely NO WAY I could've ever bought the quality of horse that I ride. I have my mom to thank for investing her money in her hobby, which was breeding and raising horses. Plus, we have the family ranch, El Ranchito. It's small, but it allows me to save all kinds of $$ on boarding and training fees.

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:20 AM
they weren't interested in German martingales? you've GOT to be kidding me!!! what could be more attention grabbing that that? hmmm maybe the different affects of pelham shank lenghts.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

halfhalt
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:31 AM
I have a Phd and teach botany and ecology at a university; my husband taught philosophy at the same university, but retired early (and is about 14 years older than me). That gives us enough money to keep our daughter in a decent quality horse (she had a QH to start, then a very nice TB hunter, now a greenie warmblood that needs more time than she can give him, lol...) More money would be nice, because it would have allowed us to buy her a jumper that was a little more developed, but we do what we can.

It means we live in a house that is more modest than we might otherwise live in, but that's never bothered me too much, i don't really like trophy houses anyway, as i don't particularly want to impress anyone....we still have enough "after horse" money to travel to Europe every few years, which i love, and to maintain a nice (albeit "primitive"!) cabin on Lake of the Woods. If we had to give up those pleasures to pay for the horse, i think i might feel some resentment, and that might translate into pressure.

So we do what we can. The main problem, for people like us who are doing this without a lot to spare, is that if you lose the value you've put into your current horse, either through injury or whatever, it's not easy to run out and replace it. So there is more riding (excuse the pun) on the successful development of the horse you have at present. I have friends who can afford to literally write a horse off if it doesn't work out, and trip over to Germany to pick up another prospect or two, but that isn't an option for most people.

Remi and me
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:36 AM
I'm a very poor working stiff with 2 associate degrees and one BA. I work with folks with developmental disabilities as a service coordinator.
The job is great because of the folks I work with and the folks we serve. However, the money stinks - it is not something you go out and do because you could make more flipping burgers! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
The good part is I get 7 weeks paid vaction per year so of course I can schedule some local shows around it. I live in VT and pay board and take a lesson when I can afford it. My husband works in the granite industry so he gets paid pretty well.Only one child left at home and hopefully he'll get scholarship $ for college because he is a brain(recessive genes I think). I just bought a green horse a couple of months ago and I don't know how much showing we'll do but I do want to go to the local hunter paces and stuff like that. I just want to have some fun even if it is cheap fun!I have a running prioritized list of things horse and I need and I buy as I can. Board comes a little hard, but I always find the $ and the farrier and vet all managed to get paid. Probably wouldn't be as much fun if it came easy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

hoodoo
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:38 AM
I'm a pre-vet student, have a BA in journalism from my first stint through college many years ago.
Luckily, I don't have to work. My Boyfriend takes care of the mortgage, bills, and board on our 10 thoroughbreds and my big mule.
He plays polo all summer so our hobbies are both expensive. Guess I'm just lucky...:)

InWhyCee
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:41 AM
jSTR, please have your parents call ASAP.

It's such a relief to find that I'm not the only person who breaks down paychecks into number of lessons (group lessons, of course, because they're half.)

FYI, I work in magazines, hence I have no $$$ but I do have time -- I don't know anyone who doesn't have a trust fund that has both! There's little room in my budget for "nice" restaurants, 24-hour club weekends, or anything that's not on sale, but I've been there and done that... so it's OK.
Like most NYers, I have no car, no kids, and no furniture.

I do vacation abroad because I can ride on the cheap while I'm there (e.g. I once stayed in a Lippazaner barn near the Russian border... much more comfy than it sounds.)

Of course, to be an owner again, let alone show, I'd have to leave Gotham and move somewhere where space is cheap(er). Either that or marry rich. Big-city rent is a killer -- my shoebox is rent- stablilized or I would have no life at all!

PS: Hoodoo, marry him now. Get everything in writing. There aren't many like that!

"People... they're so
complicated. I suppose
that's why I prefer
horses."

[This message was edited by InWhyCee on Nov. 21, 2001 at 10:58 AM.]

lark
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:01 AM
my situation is quite similar to Merry. I am an artist, work at home, and do have plenty of time to ride, AND a nice husband who pays the mortgage, So as long as i pay for my assigned bills , I am free to spend spend spend on the horsey. Luckily, the horse I ride is owned by a very generous lady who lets me ride him, and so i just pay for training and competition fees. UNFORTUNATLY, there's no ring nearby so I spend a LOT of time and $$ on gas getting to the trainer. I am SO glad gas prices are dropping!! ( I just heard last night it could down to 70 cents a gallon in Bakersfield! Though I don't live in Bakersfield) But it sure adds up anyway.

So Intent
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:01 AM
Thank god for still being in high school. My parents pay for the vet, shoes, and part of the board on the pony, and I use my paychecks to pay for lessons, shows, (replacing) horse things. My dad is a senior executive (i think) at Dell Computers, and my mom works at a dr's office, so they can afford to pay for most of horse. When I get older though... i dunno. I'll be working through college (and college, and college, i'm aiming at med school), and then hopefully i'll have a job that will pay for my horses.

buryinghill1
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:10 AM
From where my millions come.

A dirty dog is a happy dog.

Shay Darra
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:13 AM
How do I afford the horses (2), showing (schooling-type currently), tack, vet bills, equestrian wear (I'm a junkie for boots, breeches and bridles) and lessons?

1. Sold the weekend house at the beach to afford the house where horses can live in the backyard
2. Used inheritance $$ to build a barn
3. Sacked the maid in favor of the F250 Diesel
4. Stopped buying Liz Claiborne in favor of Dover
5. Don't eat out much
6. Don't take vacations

My house is dirty, my clothes are old, my non-horsey friends wonder what became of me - and I've never been happier!

I'm a member of the 50+ Over the Hill gang and it was 36 years between horse #1 and horse #2. Never got over the love and desire to have another one when the first went at age 13. Husband is tolerant (barely) and daughter is semi-understanding, but not interested. I have a corporate job and fortunately have a decent (equates to comfortable, not desirable) income and am now up to 25 days/year vacation so most of my vacation is used for horse pursuits. The budget is definitely stretched due to the horses (which hubby resents somewhat)but he gets pretty absorbed in his own business (he's a contractor and spends hours in his shop creating "stuff") so he doesn't fuss a lot.

I'll never get to the A Show Level, but that in no way diminishes the joy and satisfaction I get from my guys and our accomplishments. One of the most rewarding aspects of getting back into horses is the new set of wonderful friends I have made who have become a great part of my life. Extraordinary women who I probably would not met had our horse lives not intersected.

Wouldn't change a thing! Well.....unless I won the lottery then I'd chuck the job!

Heidi
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:24 AM
I worked in the entertainment industry for a decade and while the money was great, as many others have 'testified', you sacrifice time and a measure of sanity.

I stopped 'working' (ha!) four years ago with the birth of my third child, Sumo Toddler, as it seemed a rather novel idea to actually raise one of my own children.

As a SAHM, the demands are relentless, the tasks rather mundane at times (making lunches, supervising homework, nagging them to wash their hands, bathe, etc.), it's boring, it's frustrating but it's also the only thing I can envision myself doing. I can now claim full credit for the fact that Sumo is a wonderful, polite, and compassionate child who can do grade 2 math and is on the verge of reading (okay, so I have to brag a bit, hehe). My children need me more than we need a second paycheck, a new car, or a bigger house - a rather shocking revelation, given my former crazed careerist self

As far as money is concerned, we've never made proprietary claims on our salaries - we've always considered money to be ours collectively. I spend what I do, on whatever I wish and have never felt I needed to justify myself with my husband. And truth be told, I'd swear that Hans enjoys playing Ward Cleaver to my June, walking through the door and smelling his favourite foods. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Here's the irony, though. I now have the time to ride 5 days a week -- I just can't get myself to the barn, which is 45 minutes away. I never learned to drive. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Yes, I am a moron.

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SaddleFitter -- we need a good yoga instructor in NoVa geared toward us equestrians, you should go for it! Bowing Dog (or whatever the position is called = stretched hamstrings = deep effective seat! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually have a small group that I'm teaching already! They asked me to come up to the barn one night a week. It is too cold/dirty in the barn, so we are using one of the student's house.

I am really liking teaching riders because I get to use all my "riding" analogies.

Also, one of the students is an instructor and it is funny how often I'll state an alignment goal and she has this knowing look on her face.

What is really neat is watching people gain body awareness.

Mel

LittleWitch
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:32 AM
I am an engineer. I like my job but I would rather work part-time and spend more time with the horses. Unfortunately there is not much of a market for part-time engineers. If I quit my job I wouldn't be able to afford the horses. I used to have the best of both worlds (time and money) because my clone (actually she is my twin) was unemployed and she helped me keep the horses exercised. She recently got a job (against my wishes /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) but she works nights so it still works out okay. I highly recommend having a twin (or a clone) to help with the work.

Horses are the biggest part of my budget. I skimp pretty much everywhere else. I share a small one bedroom apartment, don't have a car, and don't buy much stuff. I show in local shows but would like to do some rated shows eventually.

Michelle Mc
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:35 AM
You mean this is a DISEASE?

Aeamian
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:40 AM
Well, I'm a junior, my grandfather USED to pay for my horsie expenses, but he own's a couple buisness's, so I work by myself I suposse. He still pays for teh feed of course, becuase I need to pay for other things, but as far as everything else goes, yes, I have to pay for it. oh yeah... and I work at my grandfathers hostpital type thing :P

Annnndddd what I wanna be? heck, that's pretty easy. I'm an artist already, that I am. I'm preetty darn good for my age too (eeh sorry for bragging, this is the only thing I brag about, honest O_O) Soo, I do computer art, where I use a tablet, or a scanner to transfer what I draw into the computer, oh yeah, a tablet is a electronic device where you draw on it and it goes onto the screen, it's realy neat..anyways, and I use Adobe Photo shop, to colour it. I really hope that will be my career.. or something to do wiht horses, like maybe just owning at barrrrn and giving kids lessons and stuff. But I don't like teaching people much, I like giving pointers, and tips. Ya know? okay.. I just woke up..i'm always talkative when I wake up, so i'm gonna end this post right...now.

byebye

Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.
Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip it to the lonesome end.
Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.
Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again.

BustersMom
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:47 AM
I am a computer marketing person. Currently I have 4 horses (one of them is currently leased out so his expenses are covered) I do have a PhD in Chemistry but haven't used it for years. I quickly found out that chemists don't make enough to pay for my expensive hobby. My daughter and I talked before we got the last horse and decided that there were a lot of things we could cut back on. We love those Mac and Cheese dinners. I have been with this company enough so that I get 4 weeks of vacation. I usually take long weekends to do the show thing with my daughter. Any left over days are spent doing repair work at the barn or fox hunting. My office peers hooted when I told them for my vacation I was going to Culpeper to shovel stalls for the week.

Like Lucasb, I made what I like to call a 'Quality of Life" decision 10 years ago. I have never looked back and I have never regreted the decision I made. The high flying corp job with upward mobility doesn't compare with what I have now. I love reading Merry's articles most recently in HI and duh me, LaurieB, I am a big fan of your books even before I knew it was you. I immediately recognized the corralary to the horse world and mysteries are always a favorite genre.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group

backinthesaddle
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:52 AM
You are all such kindred spirits!!

I have an undergraduate degree in engineering but hated it so got my MBA and now do mergers and acquisitions for a large corp. I love it (most of the time).

I have 3 horses and 1 very, very, VERY understanding husband. I can afford my horses because:

1. We don't have children (the human kind) so no college planning expenses, etc.
2. My wardrobe is rather old although I've always tended toward the "classic" look (skirts or slacks and a blazer) so I'm not too out of date
3. I forget what the inside of a restaurant looks like
4. Vacations are few and far between
5. Walmart is a favorite place to shop
6. I do all of my own grooming at horse shows (with hubby's help a lot of the time)

My horses, however, do have a lot of the latest in stylish horsie-wear. They get shoes that are way more expensive than mine and get them quite often too. I show on the local circuit almost every weekend in the nice weather (I try to save bucks in the cold winter). I have gone to several A shows but the problem is insufficient vacation time and justification of the expense.

Like others on the board, I could make lots more $$$$ but never get to ride. Definitely not worth it in my book!!!

One suggestion to all of you juniors that are getting to the end of your parental support: Get an education, establish your career and then the money for the horses will take care of itself. That's how I managed it. Or.... marry rich.

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 10:58 AM
or both! hehe...or at least that's my plan. So, any young, good looking, wealthy eligible batchelors on the board that want to marry a kinda cute but apparenty rotund (only according to mr. trainer and me) will-be well educated SWF with similar horsey persuits? Old money welcome, calling mr. Astor? is there a vanderbuilt in the house???

Lita
Nov. 20, 2001, 11:15 AM
OK, so I dont own my own horse so that saves a lot of money, and I dont lease or pay board on anything, so why dont I have any money to show?? Oh because I'm a Vet. Assistant

The money isent great but I can get by if I dont show. Thank goodness I dont have to pay to ride(unless I have a lesson which are few and far between).
Right now I'm saving for my wedding(10 months tomorrow), and my trainer has a 2yr old that she wants me to show "Trillium" hack division and dressage( but thats not till 2003 or 2004).

So for now I'll live vicariously through you guys(if thats OK), and the kids at my barn that show everyother weekend.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Pocket Pony
Nov. 20, 2001, 11:28 AM
I had to wait a long time to get back into riding. BAsically stopped for the duration of college and 7 years after (I have a BA). My husband has no one to blame but himself for getting me back into it, as he gave me lesson gift certificates one year for Christmas, and his life hasn't been the same since! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

When I started riding again, I worked for the head of the investment banking division for the West Coast Technology Group of the #1 bank ( I'm an executive assistant ). Luckily, even though he was a banker, my boss was (and still is) quite compassionate and tolerant of my horse addiction (could it be because his daughter has a pony so his family suffers the same ailment?). My boss has been extremely generous with me in regards to salary and bonus and flex time. Two years ago he left investment banking to be a venture capitalist and 6 months later I followed him.

I now have a totally flexible schedule (as long as it doesn't interrupt his productivity, which it doesn't). In the non-rainy season I work from 7-3 and ride after work. Now that the rain has started (which means EVERYONE crams into the covered arean), I ride at 6:30 a.m. and am at work by 8 or 8:30. Then I go back to the barn after work to do a night check and feed my "special dinner with extra love". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I take care of my boss and he takes care of me. I expect to get a bonus this year that is equal to 20% of my salary (my husband says I'm already overpaid), and on top of that my boss is going to give me a bonus himself because of all the personal stuff I do for him.

My monthly salary takes care of the money I put into our joint account to pay the mortgage and house bills. Mr. Splendid and I each put in a set amount each month. The rest of our money is our own to play with (which means it all goes to the horse and I have nothing left over). When I get my bonus, I set that aside and use it for shows or upcoming larger bills (teeth floating, new saddle, unplanned-for purchases).

Also, my mom takes me clothes shopping every year for my birthday - that is the ONLY time I get new clothes!

I've got it good and I know it and I'm thankful every day! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey! Hey Mickey!"

Janet
Nov. 20, 2001, 11:33 AM
I am the primary wage earner, and pay most of the bills. My husband teaches high school, which is, to my mind, of much more value to society, but doesn't pay well.

Hard to put a name to my job. I am a consultant, working for a VERY small company (2 employees). We are both contracted full time to a big company, working on a government telecommunications contract. My primary focus is network modelling, but I do lots of other "technical advisor" type things as well.

Nominally, I work from home 3 days a week, and go into the office 2 days a week. Except when there are lots of meetings. This gives me time to ride (basically the time I would otherwise commute).

I don't get a "salary", I get paid for the hours I work. Thus (within reason, fiting project schedules) I can chose how much "vacation" I want to afford to take. So far (started this job in September) I have taken off one day for a mid-week CC school, and 2 days for the GM clinic.

I have a BA in Mathematical Modelling from Hampshire College. I did graduate work (Ph.D., ABD) in Operations Research at UNC Chapel Hill. I have worked for a variety of consulting companies, in somewaht different fields, but it all sort of fits together (data networks, satellite systems, AI, system modelling, IT infrastructure/architecture, Internet, client/server, and now voice networks (wireless and land-line).

I choose to keep horses at home and do mostly local competitions, but I could have boarded one horse, and done a lot more showing if that was my priority.

When I was in high school and college, I thought the only way I would be able to have horses as an adult was to marry someone who was willing to support them. But I discovered, after I had been working full time for about 2 years, that I COULD afford to keep a horse. And it has been "downhill" from there.

lillian
Nov. 20, 2001, 11:52 AM
I work in the software industry and make WAY more money than I did as a former assistant DA. My husband is an aerospace engineer and makes a pretty good salary and he doesn't mind spending on the horses, within reason, of course. This gives him the excuse to blow big $$$ on golf and gambling in Las Vegas. I also have a small trust fund that I use to pay for any horses I purchase, and other expensive items, like a new saddle, if I need one. Both my husband and I work VERY hard to earn our keep and for us, (no kids), the money is for spending. If I'm going to kill myself at my job, I'm going to spend the money in such a way that I get ultimate enjoyment from it. Fortunately we don't have to worry about retirement funds...that's already taken care of.

TXan TB
Nov. 20, 2001, 11:57 AM
I do contract work for local adoption agencies-which means I have sporadic months...weeks of free time, and weeks of 11 pm worknights and full weekends when those babies come! Holidays are also iffy...but I love it!

I also have an awesome husband that owns his own company and works out of our home-that means that there's always someone here at home with the four-legged babies, and his biz pays for board!

I also REALLY lucked out-a friend GAVE me her gelding to use as she is moving and won't be able to ride...so my horse fund money is now my show fund money.

I must have really pleased the Horsey Gods at some point in my life!

Pixie Dust
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:11 PM
hrmmm, I am a person who is not all that interested in working and I married someone who also isn't all that interested in working either....ooops! And we really like nice things! DAG! I have a degree in Business Administration and am working as an office manager at a small interior design firm. Before I started working here, I thought for sure I wanted to be an interior designer (glad I found out I don't!) The working conditions are great, and as you can imagine, the pay is not, and there is absolutely no growth potential. It's fun and I get a very good discount on very expensive stuff, which I cannot afford. My husband has a masters from St. Johns College, an almost masters in Classics from U of MN (it cost that much) and a law degree from U of MN and he is a lawyer who hasn't found that perfect job. We have student loans out the wazooooooo! I had to go horseless for the 8 years+ he was in graduate school, so he is very suppportive of my horsey hobbie. But I really have to do things on the cheap. I keep my horse at home (which isn't necessarily cheap) and consider myself living the high life because I am now mobile with a truck and used trailer. I like nice tack and stuff, but I take care of it. I'm a quality over quantity type, though no custom boots just yet. If you can believe this, I'm still using the Pytchley hunt coat my mother bought for me when I was 16. I can't exactly breath when I wear it, but it still looks good. I have a real cheap horse (off track TB) and I haven't taken a lesson since 1997. I plan on starting back again though, now that the beast knows how to w/t/c. I am into eventing and so far have only been doing little wee-one starter horse trials and I plan on doing recognized ones next year, but not that many. I plan on doing some clinics and since I joined the OPRC, I can do some clinics....very reasonably priced !! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pixie Dust
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:18 PM
OH, to give the "when I was 16" some context, I'm turning 39 next month...LOL...and yes I was way smaller then.
Saddlefitter! We like yoga too! We just use the Yoga Journal tapes (though not nearly often enough!) and I totally noticed an improvement in my riding. I felt so much more balanced and more comfortable, less "one-sided". I'd like to do yoga every day. That is very cool!
Betsy (the girl with Hektor!)

Tobi
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:21 PM
hey jSTR you beat me to the punch!! i also am a SWF looking for a horsey man. do you think there are two out there?

i've told my friends that since i've been waiting so long (i'll be 34 in jan.), that i should be rewarded with one that has $$$$!!! wouldn't that be nice?? to be honest, it would be amazing to have a guy that not only tolerates the horses, but likes to come and groom at the shows (like others that have posted here). i figure i have paid for the horses this long, i can continue to.

InWhyCee
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:27 PM
jSTR, I asked that question months ago... and I am STILL waiting for a reply! Personally, I've lowered my expectations... I just want to be the next Kelly Klein! If he's rich and he's breathing...

"People... they're so
complicated. I suppose
that's why I prefer
horses."

Elmo
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:42 PM
hahaha......kelly klein bought this horse form my barn this summer.........she has got a NICE horse!

Chef Jade
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:48 PM
I am extraordinarilly lucky that my parents have not completely cut the purse strings. I am 25, graduated with a business degree, and now work for a Commercial Real Estate lender. I work and live about 2 hours from the barn so I was only riding on weekends. I decided that this would just not do. So I re-budgeted and dug into my savings and bought an inexpensive horse to board closer to me. 1 year later I sold her for double, added some more money, and bought a VERY green but nice youngster.

My mom pays all the expenses and shows (about 1 every other month) on 1 horse - and the other is completely my responsibility. The budget would be fine except my SO moved across the country so I need to budget plane tickets as well. I rarely buy new clothes, bring my lunch to work, never eat out, and don't drink (much.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I still find myself digging into my savings to pay for board or my own rent. Oops! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:55 PM
hehe I think anyone who has parents with the mantra "don't let the door hit ya where the good lord slit ya" mentality should have first dibs on the eligible but elusive batchelor!

Colin
Nov. 20, 2001, 12:58 PM
I have a BA in Psychology and work for a computer corporation in the HR Department. I mostly do recruiting - college engineering students - ick! But also manage all of our training, relocation, and temporary and contract hiring.

THE ONLY REASON I WORK IS TO PAY FOR HORSES

But it's still not enough. I think I get deeper in debt every year! Yipes!

I have 4 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and a goat. I show a lot during the summer here in Utah, but only get to a few A rated shows a year, as they are so far away and I only get a certain amount of vacation a year!

My husband and I make about the same amount of money. I pay all of the bills out of our joint account....he gets to go roping and have whatever done with his horse he wants....and the same for me. We don't take vacations - I will go to some horse shows and he will take time off to go to ropings -- we don't go out to eat too often - and we never go to the mall and shop!

The "children" get whatever they need whenever they want. We are happy with that!! Although I am still waiting for SOMEONE is my family to die!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"If you can't beat 'em with brains, beat 'em with bullshit!"
- Tommy Serio, 2001

Midge
Nov. 20, 2001, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:

Hard to put a name to my job. I am a consultant, working for a VERY small company (2 employees). We are both contracted full time to a big company, working on a government telecommunications contract. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, my IRA would be very grateful if you could somehow benefit Loral Space in your contract. I hate look at the column that says 'Overall gain/loss- 89%. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I am a braider, which is the great Catch-22: I can work hard enough to afford the horse, but I would be gone all the time! I do about 26 horse shows a year, which means I have time to ride, but it is all in large blocks. I sometimes beg sympathetic customers for opportunities to ride and I get them occasionally, but I anticipate Florida as being on long riding drought so the lovely Midge (who will be turned out for the two months I am gone) and I will have lost a lot of ground by the time I get home.
I married a lovely man who doesn't care that he pays the bills and I pay for Midge. I don't anticipate ever showing at more than a couple A shows a year, should we ever reach a level of competence TO show. But, there are a lot of schooling shows and local circuits to scratch my showing itch.

'If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?'

HntrJmprGrl
Nov. 20, 2001, 01:31 PM
I'm only 14, but last summer I got a job washing dogs for 6.50 an hour for about 8 hours a day. It's hard work. I worked like a slave alllll summer, thats what I did every single day but in the end it was worth it b/c I made more then 1000 which helped a lot w/ school clothes and my horse and shows and everything. I still work every other saturday and most likely will spend next summer slaving away for a car!!!!

InWhyCee
Nov. 20, 2001, 01:37 PM
Oooooo! That would be ME! Thanks, jSTR... I'll make sure you get a good seat at my wedding. I'm thinking Spain in May; going down the aisle sidesaddle on my engagement horse...

"People... they're so
complicated. I suppose
that's why I prefer
horses."

Halo Effect
Nov. 20, 2001, 01:45 PM
I kinda have a job, I'm 15, and it's like an actual job, I'm a Secretary at an Insurance Co, but I only have to work when I feel like it soit's reallllllly flexible. When I need money I work! haha!

~*$*~CATHERINE~*$*~
"Love is when your horsey cuddles with you even after you left him alone all day."
WE LOVE JOHN BARKER!

jSTR
Nov. 20, 2001, 01:48 PM
That's me too! hmmmm. tall, dark, athletic, successful, well bred....oh, right, that's just the horse, or the husband? can't decide....

LaurieB
Nov. 20, 2001, 03:22 PM
Thanks BustersMom! I'm glad you like the books. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

baymare
Nov. 20, 2001, 03:40 PM
Ever since I was a horse-crazy 17-yr-old (as opposed to the horse-crazy 47-yr-old I am now), I have mucked or taught lessons on the side to pay my board bill. For many years (pre-marriage,pre-kids) I was a full-time professional horseman.

Now, with my feeble litte AA degree and no marketable skills (other than being able to teach a class of 12 beginners on a bunch of sourpuss schoolies on a ninety degree summer day in the dust without anybody getting killed or, on a good day, not even crying) I work 20 hours a week at our local library and spend the rest of my life trying to get our own small barn off the ground and manage the house-and-family thing as well. My husband is a farm boy turned truck driver; he makes a decent living w/good bennies that cover the family, but he works long long hours that leave me holding the bag at home almost 100% of the time. Fortunately, he loves the farm and works incredibly hard on the weekends puttering and building and fixing stuff. He also rides, which helps a lot as he truly does put up with my obsession awfully well.

Oh money. Right. There really isn't any, we are basically flying by the seat of our pants. We show rarely, but really enjoy it when we do, and because we do everything ourselves can keep the expenses reasonable.

A couple of years ago just for grins I went with a friend and had a psychic reading. The psychic was really cool and told me some interesting stuff, but what has stuck with me and pretty much encouraged me over the years was this: She said, "Your life will be rich." Then she chuckled and said, "Of course, I don't mean that you'll have MONEY." Words to live by.

Pirateer
Nov. 20, 2001, 04:50 PM
Still being a junior (only 1 more year /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ) my parents pay for all of my expenses. Two summers ago I had a job (mucking stalls, of course) and what i made off of that went 1/3 to college fund, 1/3 to horses, 1/3 to me. I didnt make too much money.

After wanting forever to be a pro, i finally realized i dont have any connections, nor the financial backing to do so. My family is comfortable, very comfortable, but they dont have very good spending habits...

I have decided to get my BS in Journalism (yes, i am crazy) or hopefully, Broadcast Journalism.
Maybe I'll strike dumb luck and end up as the next Barbara Walters...maybe.

Rebecca
Eeks! My horsie looks like a mule!!!
http://www.virtue.nu/pirateer/home.html

RumoursFollow
Nov. 20, 2001, 05:00 PM
I'm a professional. A professional horse person that is! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif I mostly ride horses for other people, because I just started and I dont hae that many students. I have several though (6) and a growing business and I am having the absolute time of my life. I always thoguht I would prefer to ride over being the trainer for the most part but I'm discovering that I love to teach! Well... if I could get that darn 7yo to mind me anyway! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm also in school, at Clemson, I'm a junior, and will eventually (most likely) go to law school.

------------------------------
Yeehaw- Formerly RF
COTH BB Resident Cowgirl
"She's gone country.. look at them boots, shes gone country.. back to her roots, shes gone country, a new kind of suit.. SHES GONE COUNTRY!! HERE SHE COMES!!! :P

Fred
Nov. 20, 2001, 05:11 PM
as a television writer and producer. I have a BA in English and History and a MA in English. Went to Teacher's College - but wanted to be the one taught about rather than the teacher. So much for young dreams. But when I was doing that job, which I loved, I had little time to ride. I had 3 horses, but we lived in the city, had an interesting lifestyle, I wore good clothes. THEN I bought a broodmare......
then, we bought a farm.
and something had to go. the job.
Now I work at home (I think I am writing, but actually, other than cleaning horse poop and painting fences, my at home job is doing media liasion for my husband, who is a musician.
Luckily, I worked my butt off in the well-paying job, and quit 6 months after the mortgage was paid. Now my husband pays most of the household expenses, I pay for the horses with what I "earn" from the horses.... the shortfall, I get from him!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I never ever tell him exactly what everything costs. Luckily he's not good at maths.
So we have a nice farm,I have lots of horses. But we pay a price, though. He is away from home a LOT, and I fall asleep reading in bed (alone) at 8:30. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
LaurieB: are your books available in Canada? How do we find you? Let's have some "shameless self-promotion"!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif (to quote from another thread)

*Cookie*
Nov. 20, 2001, 06:02 PM
I work at a vet clinic 2 to 3 days a week and I babysit whenever I can. All my work money goes to riding. I pay for all my shows and the farrier on my horse. I also groom for people at shows and sometimes get to exercise and show their horses. My parents pay for board and lessons. I've been helping pay for riding since I was 9 (I'd do chores at the barn to work off lessons).

LaurieB
Nov. 20, 2001, 06:15 PM
because I can be shameless when it comes to promotion (ask any author about the necessity of that--even Jonathan Franzen /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). And yes the series, eight so far, is available in Canada. The address for my web page is in my profile.

Brookes
Nov. 20, 2001, 06:16 PM
Wow you guys are all so interesting! I loved reading about everyone, so fair is fair. . .

I have a small consulting company that works within the equestrian community only. My partner and I started this up a few years back and have managed to stay very busy and very lucky! She is the big brains, I tend to be the brawn so to speak. We do advertising, public relations and marketing for equine businessness and horse shows. I absolutely love it and am having the time of my life. I was just named (read: roped into) a position as Fund Raising Chair for a new Cancer foundation; Riders for the Cure. Hopefully you'll hear more about that in the next couple of years!

I have my degree in business administration which helps me stay sort of organized, my office looks like tornado alley on a really bad day.

Finances, hmmmm, well we're doing fine here. My husband is a doctor and that keeps us liquid so to speak. I make ok money. The horse bills for my boys are courtesy of my husband. He is very supportive (most of the time, we all have our moments!). I spend my money on our house, I collect antiques. My poor husband wanders around asking "can I sit on this?" "NO!" "then why did you buy it?" "Cause I liked it!"

Before the consulting company I was a systems analyist in the big bad silicon valley. Talk about le rat race! I'm not sorry at all to say goodbye to that stress.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

Merry
Nov. 20, 2001, 06:28 PM
Wow, if we aren't all an educated, resourceful lot! I dare say we could all be airlifted to an uninhabited island and do just fine.

I vote for Heidi to be "the mom", though. I kinda like the idea of that June Cleaver thing she's got going there. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

LoriO
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:39 PM
In order to support my horse habit, I'm a 911 Public Safety dispatcher. I'm the one that gets to tell the cops "where to go" (hehehe). Seriously, the pay is decent enough that I make just enough to cover bills and the horse.

To help make spending money for all those extra things I want, I sell stuff on Ebay. I do a lot of tag saleing during the summer then sell a lot of what I find. It's amazing how much someone will pay for something that someone else was just about giving away!!!!!!

All gave some...And some gave all...God bless the USA

Dry Clean Only
Nov. 20, 2001, 07:47 PM
I waitress and mooch off friends for free rides on their horses /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Don't have any horsey bills yet, waiting until I finish school for that.

Tri-mo
Nov. 20, 2001, 08:05 PM
Well, there's no way I'm reading all these but I started a topic exactly like this on EMG a few days ago and this already has more replies! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I find that it's way more worth my while to post topics here instead.

Peggy
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:15 PM
Have a PhD in Chemistry which I use to teach at a community college. Our salaries are pretty decent, but the cost of living is pretty high in LA. Have enough senority to get pretty much the schedule that I want which gives me blocks of daylight hours for riding. And, we get 2.5 months off in the summer and about 8 weeks in the winter--unless, you teach summer or winter session which can make a tidy $7K or more. This is pretty much my show budget--I groom and braid for myself and am the only one in the barn to do so.

I own a (948 sq. ft.) house, courtesy of an inheritance from a grandmother that I used for a downpayment and to have enough extra money in the bank to feel safe and do some work around the house. I could never afford this house in the city where I teach (Santa Monica) so I live about 20 miles from school.

My horse has been chronically lame (but mostly rideable) for most of the five years that I've owned the house, so I have been using my "show money" on the house--and vet bills. Now have bought a second horse (a 2.5 yr current unbroke colt--promise an update in Baby Greenie support when I get pictures) and will continue to keep both horses in training through the spring--somehow--and then figure out what to do with the horse that would probably like to be a lawn ornament. Selling isn't an option and neither is a Handicapped Riding program (other than in some sort of diabolical Swiftian scheme). I also ride horses for friends.

For those juniors (and seniors) out there who are looking for a decent paying job that allows for riding time, teaching at a community college is one that I recommend. Aside from the above, it provides variety, you work with interesting people and you don't deal with the same behavior issues as in K-thru-12. Unfortunately, the competition to get them can be tough, depending on your field. We typically get about 200 applicants for a dept. like English, about 100 in our dept. and about 25 in some areas of computer science.

AAJumper
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:20 PM
I am a civil engineer working mostly in land development. It's a pretty good paying job...that along w/my husband's salary (he's a firefighter) we are able to own a decent house in the outskirts of LA and I can have my horse in full training and do about 5-7 weeks of A shows/year. I primarily work in order to do the horse thing...if I didn't have one I'd probably have quit and had 2.5 kids a long time ago.

Trixie
Nov. 20, 2001, 09:52 PM
I'm a journalist, of sorts. I'm "Managing Editor" of a newspaper, as well as a photographer and writer for them. I have too many hats.

FLF
Nov. 21, 2001, 06:43 AM
Hi Therese! Another military person! I'm a LT in the Navy, unfortunately my husband doesn't work so one of us can stay home with our son. But I know what you mean, $$$ is not as much the issue as moving every 3 years. Right now we're overseas then I go back to sea duty (aircraft carrier), so I can't do much for awhile. My son is starting lessons this week though, so I will live vicariously through him (if he likes it!)!!

Tri-mo
Nov. 21, 2001, 06:50 AM
I've finally read them all! Your jobs gave me a lot of ideas!

I'm a junior. I'm unemployed. I have one horse.
How do I survive? Well, my parents pay for everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!! I'm happy that they do, but I really want a job to help pay for the A cicuit for next year, but my dad won't let me get a job! I could even work full time if I wanted because I do correspondence, so I can work on school whenever I want.

I have some money saved (I put it into GIC's, I hardly ever buy clothes, and I save birthday and Christmas money) but it's not enough.

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:09 AM
This has been extremely interesting, and I've enjoyed reading about my fellow BBers.

I'm just a slight tinge of green for those who have hubbies who can support their horse habit, but I wouldn't trade mine in for the world. He is just too awesome and supportive of everything I do, even if I do have to make my own spending money. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Colin, did you move from the East coast when you met your hubby?

I am not surprised at the overall education level. Horses are expensive and to make sweeping generalizations...the better educated, the better paid<g>.

Life is good, and everyone have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving...even those poor, unfortunate Canucks who don't get a long weekend that starts with overeating
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Clive's Mom
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:12 AM
Computer Programmer - pays the bills and offers a bit of flexibility in my schedule.
I always wanted to be a doctor, but that takes up too much valuable riding time!

- C

Deb413
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:17 AM
I support my habit with work and barter. To pay for my upkeep (roof over my head, wheels, health benefits) I work for Union Ironworkers #33. Yup, had guys out of town working across at Newark airport when WTC went down. They saw it happen. Day after some of the guys went down to help. They brought back pictures and stories-WOW. Day of had ironworkers calling to go to the site to help. Had to explain our local is near Lake Ontario.

I also do work for their Training School, which that check pays for my board, now that the car is paid for-finally.

I also found a niche with pet sitting. Interesting way to make some lesson/show fee money. I have several small horse farms that keep me busy and people that do not like to board their dogs and cats.

I have also cleaned stalls and fed for lessons. I am also working on a deal where I board to feed and clean there�.gotta love bartering!

Deb413

Animal count this holiday weekend-2 dogs, 5 cats, 1 fish and 1 turtle. Got Friday off-ride Dixie in the daylight!

Colin
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:22 AM
No - I moved to Utah in 1997 - fall. My company transferred me to work on a project for the State. I met my husband here! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"If you can't beat 'em with brains, beat 'em with bullshit!"
- Tommy Serio, 2001

jumper
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:24 AM
My parents cut the purse strings a LONG time ago...I look back on the memory of those strings fondly. :-) I have a BA in Broadcast Journalism and Political Science. I used to be a news/sports reporter/anchor but got sick of people telling me to straighten my hair, so now I do PR and internal communications for a technology company. I have an awesome boss who lets me take personal days for horse shows, etc... I also freelance write on the side and bartend occassionally (especially during show season). I'm in grad school now...getting a Masters in English and Linguistics...I want to teach college english/literature/comp eventually. And yes, I still find time to ride. ;-)

M.K.Smith
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:27 AM
I work in the fraud detection department for a credit card company. My schedule is 3pm till midnight, so I get to ride & play with my horses in the morning. Most people want to get out of working a late shift, but I love it...I have mornings to do what I want and I get shift dif.

I board at a place where the board is very inexpensive otherwise there is no way I could afford 3 horses. I've only been to 3 small local shows this year...planning on one more.

My fiance & I just purchased 12.75 acres of land and the plan is to get it set up for the horses and eventually build a house.

MKB...

Sparky
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:39 AM
Haven't seen this slant on the subject yet, but my hubby and I are the parents who supported the horse habit our daughter developed at the age of 2! Her brother was totally non-horsey, so in a way it was pretty easy--while I was off doing horse stuff, Dad and brother were off playing golf or hockey--it really worked out quite well.
We did the whole enchilada-medium and large ponies, junior hunters and jumpers, winter circuits, equitation finals, a first year in ammy owners. When she went to college, and the horses retired (we still have the jumper, 18 years later!), I bought myself a Western pleasure horse, something I had put on hold for many years, and just decompressed for a few years.
After graduation, and marriage, daughter turned pro. Hmmmmmmm...she presented a business plan to us that was well thought out. We knew she had the talent and the work ethic, so.....land was bought, barn was built, doors were opened, and in about one year, we had a "be careful what you wish for" scenario on our hands! 20 horses going to A shows, two trucks and trailers,RV, nanny, 6 employees, and a LOT of pop psychology going on with the clients! Did that for 4 more years, until we were totally burned out. So, back to square one---asked the customers to leave, and, with the contacts she's made, we now just do training and sales, which makes the same amount of money (not much!) with one tenth the hassle.
In the meantime, non-horsey son marries VERY horsey girl (she's the greatest!) who is into Saddlebreds. At this point, they have 3 children, 3 horses, and 2 JRTs--the perfect family!
So, that brings us up to yesterday, when my offer on an incredible small pony hunter was accepted (!!!!) and there will soon be 3 little grand-daughters in the ring. The whole cycle will begin again, I hope, and we couldn't be happier! Where is Dad in all this? Supporting it with no complaints, enjoying every minute, still playing golf every day, and teaching our only grandson the ins and outs of hockey and golf.
I only hope I can remember how to do helmet hair again when the time comes!

LaurieB
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:47 AM
Sparky, good for you! What a wonderful situation you are in to have your whole family so involved and loving it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

anthem35
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:48 AM
...after slugging it out on Wall St. for years, and getting sick of making less $$$ as men for doing the same job, I finally figured out a way to get more out the the markets, and married extraordinarily well....
My new husband is of great means, and greater age...he delights in watching me showcase my Tailored Sportsmans around the grounds of the "A" circuit...he never flinches at yet another Import of the over 16 hand variety, or the finest tack available....
Due to his failing health, he rarely is actually able to 'attend' any shows, but watches proudly from his bedsides all of my accomplishents....this also frees me up to get some serious shopping done (can you say, "Hadfields"??)without taking up any of his precious time ( the doctors say it wont be long!)
Of course I'll be sad when hes gone, but hes made sure all my activities willl be covered for the rest of my fun, and fashion-filled life!! Now, if only his pesky children would get off my back...
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 21, 2001, 08:53 AM
I had either lurked on, or participated in a conversation a few years ago with a lady who met husband in NY, then moved to Utah. I just wondered if it was you.

Mel

Miniwelsh
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:10 AM
sucks but pays well. Overtime really helps, but works against me as it is less time to spend with the guys. Oh well, at least they are well outfitted.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

hifi
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:16 AM
and a want to be course designer for hunters and jumpers.
I really don't have the bucks to go all out and do the A shows for the summer but I can get to a few and tons of scholing shows for my green horse who needs miles.
I would like to eventually leave nursing and do courses full time, not the biggest bucks, but the happiest bucks.

If you can't beat 'em, try harder. And God Bless America my home sweet home!

artienallie
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:27 AM
and barn manager on the side. I hate my 'real' job, even if I'm good at it, but as Miniwelsh says, it pays the bills. I exchange managing a 8 horse boarding facility for an apartment. It makes all the difference to have 'free' rent. My fiance is a writer/editor for a instructional design company, together we make enough to pay the bills, including the bills on 2 horses who have racked up one heck of a vet bill over the past year!

To save on horse bills - I rent a backyard barn near our apartment and do self care. I also keep my mother's horse there, and she pays me board/training fees. I make show money as the local barn sitter - the owner of the boarding facility has recommended me to most of the locals. That cash goes directly into the USCTA's pocket. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

InWhyCee
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:31 AM
anthem35... gad, to be as cold-hearted and mercenary as to await your husband's death so you can go shopping! hmmm, maybe i should just quit the 9-to-5 now and start digging for gold while i still can?

"People... they're so
complicated. I suppose
that's why I prefer
horses."

dmj
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:36 AM
What part of CA are you in? Your business is very intriguing to me!

anthem35
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:39 AM
...for petes sake, I was kidding! hence the /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm actually a disgruntled NASDAQ trader, who has after 10 years in the business, amassed enough fortune to retire at the age of 36...

TRUTH: NASDAQ trader 10+years, just got laid off....looking for my new carrer as chief sweater folder at Banana Republic to take off...aspire to management position in 5 years....

AnnM
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:48 AM
I'm a law student (i.e. poor and horseless). /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In 2 years, I will be an attorney. I will no longer be poor (although those student loans will surely eat into my salary a great deal for a long long time), but I anticipate being horseless for a few years beyond that. I will be working at a big Chicago law firm (i.e., a sweatshop), and I doubt I will have the time to get back to the horses.

I miss it SO MUCH because I gave it up in 1996 (wow, 6 years ago) to start college. Part of my motivation in attending so much school and pursuing such a lucrative career path is that I know I'll have to make good money to buy the horses I'll want to buy and go to the shows I want to go to. A bonus (?!?) of being in law school is meeting other future attorneys -- I am dating an attorney now, and if we end up together, I'm pretty sure that our combined incomes will enable me to afford the habit. Whether I'll have the time is another issue altogether. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Has anyone made a similar life decision and regretted it? I wonder if picking the high-paying career path to fund the horses will end up backfiring, because I don't think I'll have the time for horses working at a big law firm in Chicago, at least not for a long long time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

hoodoo
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:51 AM
At first I was wondering if you were Anna Nicole /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sparky
Nov. 21, 2001, 09:58 AM
Anthem, you are too funny----maybe you should consider stand-up for your new career! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hoodoo
Nov. 21, 2001, 10:01 AM
North Oaks?
I'm in Saint Paul...
Do you board on the east side??

Sparky
Nov. 21, 2001, 10:15 AM
Forest Lake! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TrakHack
Nov. 21, 2001, 10:32 AM
aka "research analyst". It doesn't bring in a whole lot, but it covers rent, board, and whatever item of tack or apparel I "must" have. Salaries in Nebraska are pitiful; if I had stayed in Minneapolis I would be doing better financially (also as an analyst).

To everyone who has parents, husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, grandparents or anyone else who financially supports your equestrian pursuits, go home and give them a hug. You're incredibly lucky!

Miniwelsh
Nov. 21, 2001, 11:04 AM
you were living my dream life too.

Would it be okay folks to find one of those moneyed geezers and live off him and just not hope that he fell ill and died soon?

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

Brookes
Nov. 21, 2001, 11:06 AM
dmj, I live in Santa Rosa, north of SF. Give me your email and we can chat! Have a nice holiday! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

InWhyCee
Nov. 21, 2001, 11:14 AM
Sorry, it's just that you meet women who are married to respirators all the time in NYC... I'd like to think at least one of them spent it on horses (Argentinian polo players don't count).

"People... they're so
complicated. I suppose
that's why I prefer
horses."

dmj
Nov. 21, 2001, 11:20 AM
Thanks Brookes--

native_treasure@yahoo.com

Black Market Radio
Nov. 22, 2001, 08:06 PM
My parents bought Chloe for me but the finances stopped there... So I worked my little butt off, got married, got FIRED /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif from the tack store I worked at (Apparantly my friend and I threw a party and I don't do my work!!! All a bunch of LIES!!!!) Anyway, so now, hubby pays ALL the bills and I go to the barn and play with the rest of the jobless women who board there! Although they are all retired, they are REALLY fun!!!

I'M MARRIED!!!!

Royal Blue
Nov. 22, 2001, 08:36 PM
I go to college full time and work about 35hrs a week to pay for my baby. My job is great in that I can switch my schedule around classes but it is super stressful since I work for my father and he is a total screamer. My parents are great & let me live at home so that I can afford all my horse bills. My theory is you need the school, to get the degree, to get the great job, to get the money, to have all the wonderful horses. Even though I am a marketing/finance major I will most likely end up taking over the family business, mostly because I want my dads farm land /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Seriously I enjoy both what he does and what I am studying & the degree would come in handy with certain aspects of the business. But you never know what the future will bring. So for now I'm just studying hard, working hard, & riding even harder to keep me sane.

Nikki^
Nov. 23, 2001, 06:34 AM
I'm almost out of college and I'll be a Microbiologist. I work at the Alabama Public Health lab and yes, we do ALL the testing for Anthrax for Alabama. I work in Bioterrorism, but do a lot of other chores. My second job is working at a tack shop on Saturdays. I get 30% off everything in the store too. I love both of my jobs! But when I get out I will make a more monery. Then I'm going to Auburn(where my trainer is) to AU (WAR EAGLE.....) and get my Masters in Equine Science.

http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/Pedigree/ you can look up you Thoroughbred's Pedigree with photos 9 Genrations back!
Men come and go, but my horse will always love me!

wondering
Nov. 23, 2001, 06:58 AM
I work as a traveling nurse. with the nursing shortage I tell my agency where I want to live. They give me a list of the hospitals looking for help. My contracts are 13-26 weeks. when I arrive in a new city the rent and utilties are paid. The apartment is furnished. The money is ok. I am single with no kids.

BrookeL
Nov. 23, 2001, 07:15 AM
I want to become a doctor..plastic surgeon to be exact. That way I can afford my horsey addictions /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm 17 now, & my parents are the greatest. They support me in the way of riding & such even though they can't always afford for me to show. But that's why I work (against their wishes).

So my question is, are any of you doctors, or know any that can still show & do their job at the same time?

Bumpkin
Nov. 14, 2002, 02:31 PM
I think I am going to have to get a second job to pay for showing Elliot next year, haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"

Pocket Pony
Nov. 14, 2002, 03:31 PM
But Bumpkin, how will you ever have time for a second job, what with your "Bumpkining"?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Both rider and horse must enjoy the work. This is the essence of success" - Reiner Klimke

Bumpkin
Nov. 14, 2002, 06:58 PM
So actually, /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I am getting another part time job to take the time I use to use to Bumpkin things up. hehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I will keep my old job Monday, and Wednesday, then start his new job Tuesday and Thursday. So I would just be picking up one extra day.
I mean my present job only needed me 2 hours this week instead of the normal 15 +!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
The lazy part of me is going, woohoo....but Elliot is saying.."hey I need a new blankie mom" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies Clique"

ChagrinSaddlery
Nov. 14, 2002, 07:08 PM
LOL Anthem....BTW could you manage my very sad
portfolio???

I own a small company. I teach customer service to all the companies that forgot that you actually have to be nice to people. The customer service horror stories I could tell you LOL!!

I am married to an electrical engineer. We have an adorable daughter (who is currently asleep wearing a balerina tutu).

My daughters G-D Mother (who is also my trainer and best friend) has a cute prospect for me to ride and my daughter to learn on.

I think we have the best of both worlds.

Don't just appear in life, STAR in it!

jumpergal
Nov. 14, 2002, 07:23 PM
Sparky is right down the road from me.

"No matter where you go, there you are"

jumpergal
Nov. 14, 2002, 07:26 PM
Actually, I'm a word processing specialist in a huge law firm. After 25 years of being a legal secretary and successfully reaching job burn-out, I switched careers. It pays well and has great benefits, has no stress, and I don't have to set an alarm clock (I work 4:30 to midnight).

"No matter where you go, there you are"

VWScully
Nov. 14, 2002, 07:55 PM
I'm a poor Grad student, but pay the bills by working 25-30 hours a week in Environmental Engineering. I'm also a struggling actor when I have the time /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif (hmm, I wonder if there is a way me *and* my horse can be in a movie! lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

Of course, I have no money to go out, buy clothes, fix my car or do any other "University fun stuff" but at least I have my horsey /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. -- Fox Mulder

Oakleigh
Nov. 14, 2002, 08:19 PM
I'm a stomatognathic biomedical engineer type doctor. I only work Monday through Thursday because the work is so tedious and wears on your back and neck.

I have 12 horses, 4 of whom are in full training. Some are youngsters. I'm a small breeder, which gives me a little extra income occasionally, when I place one with a new owner.

Looking for a rich older man who will keep me in the manner in which I would like to be kept. I'd prefer an Australian veterinarian. I figure if you have to listen to one talk, it should at least be pleasant... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~~~~&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;****~~*~~****&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;~~~~
Breeder of Holsteiner and Oldenburg prospects.
Oakleigh Sporthorses (http://http:hometown.aol.com/psulli1002/page1.html)

[This message was edited by Oakleigh on Nov. 14, 2002 at 11:31 PM.]

sss
Nov. 14, 2002, 08:39 PM
I'm surfing on good karma:

Was going to be an aerospace engineer but thank goodness was too unmotivated and relatively dumb at various mathematical tasks (and reluctant to design airborne killing machines), so bagged that after three years and got BA in English. Unable to land job as technical writer (like I tried very hard), went to law school, because parents had brilliant suggestion that being an attorney may pay for a horse. Originally planned to be patent attorney (put that "wasted" education to use!), but was missing 2/3 credit in engineering to take patent bar, so I drifted and ended up in practice area where now have own firm (actually, a partnership, but partner allows me to be the prima donna).

Didn't ride hardly at all in college, became working student in law school, and still train with that trainer, who is very devoted. Couldn't afford a horse until 4 years after graduation, during which time I paid for sporadic lessons. Now have a nice formerly-green horse in full training, and can afford enough for second jumper (spending my money now before nuclear war starts or the meteor hits /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

I have to set good example and show up for work; ride 4 times/week and work about 45 hours. House hopelessly dirty; we blame it on blowing sand outside (lucky enough to live by beach -- hubby's contribution -- but it's kind of a dump) and the animals. Husband doesn't want horse property (like anyone can afford it in L.A.), because "we'll just have more animals."

Luckily for his sanity and our marriage, husband adopted "don't ask/don't tell" policy regarding horse expenses; we share mortgage and I cover all vice expenses (dining out, vacations, occasional new "toy"). At the moment we can afford to do what we want, but wait 'til second horse hits!

No kids; invest all worrying into various pets. Not interested much in shopping (plus no time), but go on catalog sprees occasionally, and pretty much neglect my hair. Can afford most anything for my horse (and therefore feel duty-bound to provide the best care). I'm ready to bite the bullet and show more next year; we'll see how the finances go, but I am in no way complaining!

I give thanks at least ten times a day for my lifestyle, and NEVER grouse, aside from the needless mental self-torture (and occasionally time constraints). I can't be thankful enough and give back enough (I try by donating, volunteering and pro bono work). And if, one day, I can't afford horses anymore, that's OK; I've had more than what 99% of the world has, happiness is free, and I can enjoy just looking at a horse and appreciating its beauty and soul. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

JRG
Nov. 14, 2002, 08:42 PM
I am a retired farrier gone corporate.

I am an assistant manager for a very large home improvement store.

I squeeze in any chance I have to be at the barn, I like being with the horses. They don't want anything from me but treats. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NancyL
Nov. 14, 2002, 08:59 PM
I work in the securities biz, on the Municipal bond side, not the stock side, so we are having another great year.

I get a paltry salary and an annual bonus that equals 40% of my annual income.

Bonds are generally regarded as boring so, the way the bonus pay works generally follows two scenarios:

1) bonds do poorly but stocks do well -- "oh sorry, your department didn't contribute enough to the bonus pool, so too bad, you get a measly bonus.

2) bonds do well but stocks do poorly -- "so sorry, but the other departments aren't contributing enough to the bonus pool to compensate your department for their 4th record earnings year -- so you will get a measly bonus".

I earn enough to have a horse in California, but not enough to not worry about splurging on shows etc (housing takes a big chunk too). I insure my horse to cover medical expenses and watch my tack budget. There is a big sale tomorrow (I will be there) and I am looking for a used County saddle in the configuration that will fit my horse. The owner of my barn is going to London to visit her son (doing grad work in Rome, they will meet in London) so she will check on prices there for me.

Now to figure out how to trade something for saddle fitting (the trader/deal maker in me comes out).

My husband is very handy (although he works in an office job), so we occasionaly trade construction labor for board on major projects at the barn.

That is how I afford my hobby.

Judi
Nov. 14, 2002, 09:15 PM
I've been an Entertainment Marketing Creative Director for about 15 years and have run a number of internal corporate agencies. This year I finally left the entertainment field for the ISP world. I'm now Sr. Group Director for EarthLink Marketing Services where I run the Internal Agency repsonsible for Design, Editorial, Production, Distribution, Fulfillment and deployment of all EarthLink Advertising, Marketing and Promotion. I also have a side business of Web Design and Hosting. Pays well enough to allow me to train with a great trainer... but Hubby has gone back to graduate school to get his Doctorate so... I'm the money earner... for the next 3 years. Rainier's Web Page (http://newhavenfarm.com/Rainier)We live well.. but I pay all the bills so I can have fun with my new boy... but certainly don't have enough to compete with the really rich folks. I can go to a show about every 6 weeks but mainly I just love taking lessons on my new dream horse. He's just so much fun to jump.... and for the first time I'm just really enjoying myself...

trae
Nov. 15, 2002, 04:53 AM
I'm a freelance copywriter/ art director... the (small regional) ad agency I worked for closed last year so my former boss and I are taking on project work 'till the next thing comes along...

... Daddy stopped footing the bills before I even left high school so I guess I was lucky; there was no real culture shock ("it costs HOW much?!!!")... I do know some people who have always been lucky, lucky, lucky... mom and dad spoiled them and then they rolled right into high-paying jobs... as for the rest of us? I haven't worked with a trainer or gone to a show in nearly ten years. Even when I was fully employed, my paychecks were disturbingly small. Paying the board and basic bills is struggle enough -- and I think there's a lot of folks in this boat with me. You know, the debate... "I can get those West Nile shots now but some other bill is going to have to be late..."

If I could tell the young folk just one thing it would be this: a college degree and sexy job title does not necessarily get you the keys to the kingdom.

Card-Carrying Member o' the Mac Clique

[This message was edited by trae on Nov. 15, 2002 at 08:02 AM.]

Nikki^
Nov. 15, 2002, 05:02 AM
I work for the Alabma Public Health Department Labs. Also my hubby supports some of my expenses as I support some of his. It's an equal trade and everybody wins.

Once my hubby gets his CCNA and CCNP (along with Microsoft) I will be able to show bigtime and afford some very nice horses.

http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/Pedigree/
Look up your TB's bloodlines

caffeinated
Nov. 15, 2002, 06:16 AM
I'm an IT specialist in the government. Decent pay, great benefits, and flextime (get here at 6, leave at 2:30 so I have time to ride and take care of my baby)... I started low but I've been getting promoted, and now can actually say I feel self sufficient for the first time since graduating college (with a bachelors in Psych, of all things). I know compared to 90% of my high school classmates and at least half my college class, I'm a lot more successful professionally.... looking forward to a future filled with horses!

Of course I also get paid to ride the horses I ride, not a crazy amount but it pays the groceries, gas, and entertainment bills so that my paychecks pretty much stay in the bank /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And I get to board my colt for a reduction in my riding pay, not a bad deal at all /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not married, no kids, but live with the SO, so that cuts down on housing expenses. He makes good money now as an accountant but he doesn't really like it and wants to take a pay cut and work for the FBI. He really wants to be a field agent. *sigh*

Someday I'm going to write the essential life-defining novel, make a lot of money on movie rights, then settle down and do horses all the time *grin*

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**

Clive's Mom
Nov. 15, 2002, 06:25 AM
That IS my job. I write banking software. Not the least bit exciting, but hey, at least they made a movie out of my job /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and it pays the horsey bills.

And - HEYYY, I just realized this thread is from this time last year! Folks who were up in the air about jobs - what has happened in the last twelve months? Anything new?

- Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at a bar. -

[This message was edited by Clive's Mom on Nov. 15, 2002 at 09:38 AM.]

cheryl ann
Nov. 15, 2002, 07:07 AM
I'm a machinist, and work is great. Yes, I get dirty, it is loud, machines act up sometimes, but I love my job. The pay is great, good bennies, unlimited overtime. I have no problem supporting three horses, I board on a large private farm.

2ponies
Nov. 15, 2002, 07:17 AM
I'm a Legislative Assistant on Capitol Hill, where the low pay and long hours are legendary! I help at the barn on weekends and at competitions to help keep my costs down. I braid a lot!
I commute from Middleburg (with hubby in the HOV lanes)to DC so that I can be near my horses, who live up the road. That way I can get up early and ride before I go to work or I am able to ride in the evenings I don't work late. I'd love to be able to get a job closer to home someday!

[This message was edited by 2ponies on Nov. 15, 2002 at 11:11 AM.]

ShowBiz
Nov. 15, 2002, 08:03 AM
except for working with a medical temp agency for 10 years, never did that. I have had a couple great, high paying jobs...but then my riding suffered. So I met my wonderful soul mate & got married (he too understands that things around the house suffer if I am not able to ride my horse). He supports my riding habit & he wants me to make it as far as I can in this world. That means GP Showjumping. I make some extra $ in the horse industry, which helps, but it doesn't cover our expenses...that's ok though, it gets me closer to my goal. Well, my husband gets me closer to that goal I should say. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Saddith
Nov. 15, 2002, 09:08 AM
New member, but lurked out there for quite awhile before joining in.... this is a very interesting thread!

I work inside a police department in the Records Bureau and the jail. My husband works here too, but he is a police officer - his current assignment is major crimes detective. It is an interesting job most of the time, because we aren't assigned to one job duty, so we get to do different stuff when we want to. We have both been doing this job for over 10 years.

Pay is OK - although he makes twice what I do, so he pays most of the big bills (mortgage). We are trying to buy our first horse, if we could just find the right one. I would be responsible for all horsey bills, once we buy one.

On the side, I am the official photographer for a fairly well known equestrian magazine (I don't want to say because it's obviously not COTH, although I would take pics for them if they need them!) here on the west coast, but that doesn't make me any money really. Just enough to pay for film and developing. It does get me into horseshows, and thats why I do it because I really enjoy both photography and horseshows - and being able to go to the world cup for 5 days for free behind the scenes is a definite perk! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My hubbie is great about the horsey thing - has even taken up riding himself! He even took me to ireland to ride a few years back, and we are going to Germany this spring. If we haven't found a horse by then, he wants to go horse shopping there! I have the greatest hubbie and wouldn't trade him for anything /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I got to "try out" horse owning for 6 months (long story, but a potential horse trial somehow turned from one month into six) and money was tight, because I am a stickler for quality, so I buy nice items. I even had to limit my spending because I had to remind myself that the horse wasn't ours on many occasions! But I did buy lots of things already, so now all I need are blankets and a new bridle, and a new saddle..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif My real problem is that I like to feed free choice grass hay, and am not afraid to use shavings... so I tend to spend more money than I should on those items every month.

Judi - I have earthlink for my ISP - can you somehow convince them to drop the price of DSL service? That way I could have a few extra dollars for horsey crap... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keep Counting
Nov. 15, 2002, 09:36 AM
I'm a freshman in college, going for a BS in biochemistry. When I was at home, my parents footed most of the bills, but I had to help out whenever I could. I worked at horse shows (either for the horse show itself or for my trainer) to take away fees, I house sat, I did random things for another woman and I got to pick my hours. Now I have no horse, I'm not riding...nor am I working. However sometime in the future I imagine myself working in a lab (not sure on $$ amount) and doing anything just to have a horse. Hell, I'll keep eating Easy Mac on a daily basis if that's what it takes. Anyway it was awesome to hear everyone's jobs and that you can support a horsey way of life!

-Liz

I have an affinity for sports with weird pants.

gteq
Nov. 15, 2002, 11:27 AM
I'm the Marketing Coordinator for a dot-com (did you know there were sitll some out there?) by day and an Adminstrative Director a state TB association by all other hours. MY hubby is a consultant so he is very supportive of me working so much since he's always working too. I just got back from the most disasterous Indoors...so everyone was on my case for not riding more to get ready - my question is WHEN?! So how do you find that happy medium between working enough to have the money to show and riding enough to stay competitive (and getting some occasional sleep)?

Zoef
Nov. 15, 2002, 12:57 PM
I am a fourth year corporate lawyer at a large firm (around 500 attorneys). Even though I make a VERY good salary, I could not pay to compete at the level I do 100% by myself (A/O Jumpers at WEF and A shows, Spruce Meadows etc.) - my parents still help out with the bills (god bless them). I ride very infrequently, both because of work and because I keep my horse far away from where I live. But all those years of equitation gave me a solid background so that I can hop on and go. (example - I went to try horses in Europe last November after only having ridden once since April - can you say SORE . . . ) My barn is very good about getting my horse prepared for me when I fly in on weekends and I am very choosey about the type of horse I own - a "pancake" jumper is best for me b/c I don't get shot out of the tack since it is a given that I will be looser than ideal. I would love to be able to ride more as I would really like to show in the GP's - I realize that it is not too realistic given the above . . . but I still dream. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

peepie
Nov. 15, 2002, 01:08 PM
Although we are fee-based vs. transaction based (as are stockbrokers) are revenues are WAY down, mainly because a/c values, which our fees are based on, are - on paper - less. I am single, no kids (YAHOO) but have dog, three cats & horse; live in an apt...needless to say, i live paycheck to paycheck basically because I choose to keep my horse.
I was a KEPT WOMAN for a couple of years by my ex-fianceé and that's when the horse came into the picture...then the fianceé went outta the picture...but no way could I "get rid of" my horse. I'll happily forego lots of things (new clothes, food:)) in order to keep him.
I spent almost twenty years on the stockbrokerage side of biz (equities), burned out, sold horse farms for two years (well, didn't actually HAVE and sales and only one listing) and then got into FP 2 years ago.
***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

~~ Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique~~

[This message was edited by gambit on Nov. 15, 2002 at 04:17 PM.]

peepie
Nov. 15, 2002, 01:27 PM
You're a WHAT?

***My horse bucked off your honor student!***

~~ Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique~~

Texan By The Grace Of God
Nov. 17, 2002, 03:00 PM
I am a junior and my dad pays for everything horsey. He wnt let me own a horse but i am lucky enough to have a great trainer who lets me ride as many horses that i can get my hands on and then some. She works me to the bone on horseback and around the barn and i love every minute of it! i am only allowed to ride on saturdays so i usually get to the barn around 8:00. I help with our special olympics group for around 2 hours and then hack a greenie. After my morning hack i have my lesson on Beans (who she generously lets me ride show and not to mention spoli). I then ride another horse and hopefully more. My dad will generally buy anything horsey except the horse (go figure!) but i am still very thankfull! I am allowed to do 5 "A" shows a year which isnt enough to qualify for Devon but i couldnt be happier (well yeah i could but you get the point!) my dad is the director of EEO/AA at Rice University and makes good money but really isnt a horsey dad! I am going to go to summer school after my 10th grade year so i can finish school early and take my last junior year off to really ride and campaign on the circuit. After that i want to go to college and train part time for my trainer then eventually have my own barn (not to mention my rich hubby /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

I love this thread! lol

**Stuffing Feathers up your butt does NOT make you a chicken**

G.A. Barnes

ChampionMercedes
Nov. 17, 2002, 03:42 PM
I'm a junior in high school. Since I have the whole single mom, 2 kids household, I pay for all my horsey things. I work 18 hours a week as a cashier and also babysit on the side, plus go to school. It's alot of crap but being able to ride makes it all worth it.

Elmo
Nov. 17, 2002, 04:17 PM
I'm a University Student, taking Communications. I have no idea what I want to be, but I know it won't be too high paying, as I'm not wanting to do grad school I dont' think. I just want to have a horse or two and show in the A/A's or A/O's here, where it's MUCH cheaper, but still a blast! I'd love to be able to go to WPB in the winters and do the top circuits, but I'm not from a rich family and dont' want to go to school for 10 yrs. Maybe I'll find a rich hubbie, but I'm now going to count on that one, lol!

I just want to be happy in life, with a nice smaller house, truck and trailer, horse or 2, hubbie, NO kids, and a sorta fun job at least! NO asking too much.

I *might* do grad school, just to get a higher paying job.....but that's not something I can decide right now, plus I'd have to do a 4 yr program, and I'm not planning on doing that.

Anne
Nov. 17, 2002, 04:42 PM
I'm a senior biology major at a small, private school. Thanks to scholarships and parents, school is taken care of, but I pay all of my own riding expenses. I have applied to veterinary school and hope to one day practice veterinary oncology (this means an internship and a residency like a human doctor) so I will be poor for a long time. Eventually I hope to be solvent enough to practice 4 days a week and campaign one or two fancy adult hunters on the weekends. My significant other wants to do corporate or maritime law but is taking a year off between undergrad and law school.

I work for a local small animal practice to pay for riding and personal expenses all summer and every chance I get during school breaks. I also do a lot of house and pet sitting. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I joke that if I don't get in to vet school this admissions cycle I will become a professional needlepoint belt maker and A circuit braider. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif So keep your fingers crossed for me!

Custom Needlepoint Belts (http://www.freewebs.com/belts)

SBT
Nov. 17, 2002, 05:39 PM
I give tours, I help design educational programs, and I organize our (quite successful) children's birthday party programming. I do a little bit of everything: research, data processing (how about creating a database of 2,000 teachers' names for sending out bulk mailings?), number-crunching, general museum cleaning (on slow days you will see me polishing plexiglass display cases and regular glass doors until I'm blue in the face), some collections work (picking microscopic spiders out of the frames of our traveling exhibit after it came back from being stored God-knows-where), research (ever read a 1903 Sears catalog? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), filing, dusting (how we LOFF Swiffers!)...pretty much whatever needs to be done. The museum is a not-for-profit institution, so the pay is...well, let's just say I live slightly above poverty level, but I live with my parents and my rent is low. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have some college credits, but I got this job mostly because I had the kind of knowledge and experience they wanted.

As for riding, I cannot afford to buy or keep a horse, but I do a lot of trade-offs...I work for some of my rides and lessons, so that keeps things affordable for me. When I did have a horse (she died in 2001 /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ), I used to work off most of her board, and I did not have any regular lessons. My parents helped me finance riding in the beginning, but by the time I turned 18, it was all on me...and has been ever since.

I'm now 24, still deferring college (but I will have to go back soon if I'm ever going to make enough $$$ to move out of my parents' house /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ). My eventual goal is to own a small boarding and training facility (10-15 horses), where I can teach, ride, and show. I am mostly interested in finding suitable, affordable horses for people, teaching horsemanship and good basics, making the "A" shows available to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford them, and...as an offshoot of my current job...having one helluva Summer Camp program, and the best Pony Parties on the face of the planet! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Part of the goal is to have a horse-loving hubby to do it all with me. We would probably be poor, but I know I'd be happy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Sara /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
*Charter member of the GHM Fan Club*
*Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron*

CluesGirl
Nov. 18, 2002, 09:28 AM
The only thing totally sucking about my job right now is that I am lead designer at the new Delta Terminal at Logan Airport here in Boston....and between the 70 hours here (and I swear, no more than one of those is spent on the BB!)and the three nights in school, I haven't even found time in the past week to go soak my horse's foot (abscess!)!!! I've been having my trainer do it.

The only up side for me is that...hey.....at least I couldn't ride anyways...

Get some flack from the SO on the $$ spent on CLue, but he has never given me a dime toward any bills, etc. Don't ask/don't tell - my horse, his boat. We have decided to buy a house soon, and the good thing for me is .... well....you can't find someone to half-lease a boat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

An Irish woman is not drunk so long as she can hold on to one blade of grass and not fall off the earth.

Give Blood - Ride Horses!

lmlacross
Nov. 18, 2002, 12:54 PM
I work for a non-profit rape crisis center in far-south suburban Chicago. I make a very modest salary ($30K) on which I support my TB hunter gelding.

He's recouperating from an injury now, but when he's recovered, I will undertake a very small-scale show schedule, as that's all we can afford. In order to work in the human service field, I gave up my childhood uber-dream of showing every other weekend at the A's (let's also be real-- I'm not READY to show the 3' hunters a tthe A shows-- and neither is he). My career choice dictates the extent of my riding endeavors...for me, this means a lesson (occasionally two) per week and a select handful of shows every year (read, 4 or 5).

This is no fairy tale, kids. Even slogging through your undergraduate career wit ha quality GPA won't guarantee you big bucks. I settled for a revised riding career and a modest salary at a job that gives me managerial experience and the ability to help our community. It's been a good trade-off for me (though I'd still like to work at a tack shop for the rest of my life...)

LML

*MidWest/Chicago Clique*
*Cripple Clique*

Nylar
Nov. 18, 2002, 02:00 PM
and will be graduating in May with degrees in Equestrian Studies/English. I have a pretty decent idea of what I'll be doing after graduation, but nothing is permanent at this point in time.

I have 2 horses, one is my show horse and the other is my lesson horse. My aunt owns half of Nylar (my lesson horse), so I get some help on the bills there, and everything else is still paid for by my parents.

I'll be living at home at least for a little while after I graduate, and my parents have made a deal with me that they will pay for Nylar's bills through the end of the summer and for Dunn's bills (but not lessons/showing on him) for the next 2 years or until I can afford it myself, whichever comes first. They're also going to pay my health and car insurance, so that my dad can have some peace of mind.

I'm well aware that I'm lucky to have parents that are able/willing to help out with the horses, and that I'll be on a very tight budget for most of my life (if not all of it). But to be able to do what I love as a career, I can't imagine anything better.

http://www.geocities.com/dunnbypicasso/

mizzwade
Nov. 18, 2002, 03:15 PM
I've worked for the last 12 years in a variety of resource management type positions for the Department of Defense. Actually, the work hasn't been bad and the pay is good and the benefits are GREAT - lots of leave to spend time with my horses!!

mizzwade

chloenoelle142
Nov. 18, 2002, 03:48 PM
I am 15 years old and my parents don't pay a penny for my horse. I work off board and weekly lessons at my barn. My parents can't afford to pay for horse shows or shoes so i pay for all of them. I don't have time to have a part time job so i work off most of what I do at my barn, and just scrounge up the rest! My parents restraunt Pyewacket (if you live in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC you might know it) went under and so right now we are just trying to keep ourselves afloat- horseback riding certainly doesn't help! I am just putting this out to remind everyone that not all teenagers are the spoiled kids that I seem to see everywhere. There are some of us who work hard for our love, we don't just beg mommy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'm proud of the fact I work so hard for what I love. (though my horse would LOVE a new blanket!)

2Dogs
Nov. 18, 2002, 03:52 PM
I am a MD, board certified in Internal Medicine, but I have been an executive in the Insurance Industry (not group health, workers compensation) for 11 years. Why? Well, I rode as a kid (fueled by my mum's own riding sickness) but after one very cheap pony, just didn't have the finances to have a horse. I graduated in Biology from UCSC (California) and worked as a marine biologist for 6 years before taking the leap to go to medical school. I kept trying to ride any chance I got and did manage to hunt and just get on horses most of the time, but I didn't show. Then I went to med school and did my residency out in LA (UCLA-Harbor) and then got a MPH in epidemiology. Still no money and now I was 36!!! Got my first new car then - a Honda! I started working at UCLA as an occupational medicine physician and ended up as a co-director of their service. By this time I was desperate to ride, so I started taking lessons at Bay Ridge Farm. Talk about having to start OVER. Heck, I gripped with my kness and knew nothing about "counting strides" and just thought you ran and jumped! I got hired as an expert witness in a big fraud case against worker's compensation "mills" and ended up being asked to the insurance company's Medical Director. My gosh! Regular hours, great pay! Within two months I had bought a four year old (whose pictures you all have been bored with) and worked up to the A/O's. My tax man has screamed at me ever since....keeps asking about my 401K. I keep telling him it has four legs and to just quit yakking!
Soo, four horses later (one at a time) I have a mare who is with my beloved California trainer and a youngster here in NC who is 45 minutes away (where board is less expensive). As my industry - or rather my company - is collapsing, I have had some hefty pay cuts. But, get rid of the horses????! Heck no! Just now don't have any perks, like lawn service or housekeeper or cable or................

Sparky22
Nov. 18, 2002, 03:53 PM
I am a physical therapy major - headin' for my DPT. Scholarships and lotsa loans are keeping me afloat right now. I work at a couple of barns in the summer riding and whatnot. I do that on all my vacations too. While I'm at school I usually pick up clipping jobs, braiding, and groom at horse shows if someone needs it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~Kate~~

--------------------------
I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
-- John Keats

Giddy-up
Nov. 18, 2002, 07:34 PM
As a junior I worked off my bills at the barn, had a job & my parents helped as needed, but I never had my own horse. Now as an adult I have a horse I share with my mom which is cool. It's gives us something to bond over when most of my friends are fighting with their parents. Mom pays the monthly board, vet & shoes. I pay for anything extra (shows, lessons, equipment, etc...) that I want. I have degree from a local community college. I work at Village Hall as a secretary which is 2 minutes from home & 5 minutes from the barn, usually stays at 40 hours a week & no weekends! I say if you can budget well, you can do anything! Yes, I give up the new clothes & other extras (cable TV, decorating the townhome?), but it's totally worth it to say I pay for stuff too. To the juniors who have posted how grateful they are to their parents--I am glad you know how lucky you are. Your parents should be proud.

monalisa
Nov. 19, 2002, 06:58 AM
When I was a junior I mucked stalls to pay the riding bills for my large pony. I did not show the A Circuit then but I do now.

As an adult, I have worked in the HR field, with a very good job that allowed me to show 2 horses. Now that I am unemployed (was laid off a few months ago) I am relying on my husband to pay the bills for a while - which he has agreed to do thankfully. However, since I no longer have my income, I will definitely be cutting back on the horse shows this year, or at least until I find a new position.

crackerjack
Nov. 20, 2002, 09:32 AM
I bought my first horse when I was 16. I paid half with my bonds and my parents loaned me the other half. I paid them back by giving them every second pay cheque from my minimum pay job which took me about 3 years. Even after that I continued to give them every other cheque to contribute to the amount they were paying for him (board, vet shoeing etc). I paid for tack, clothing, shows, the extras. Luckily they raised my pay at my job!! I did this until I graduated and got my full time permanent job. Payroll Administrator at an Ottawa construction company. I have even kept my part time job (circulation clerk at my library - actually pretty decent pay for a part time job) on top of my full time job so I am working approximately 55-60 hours a week... but thats ok-what else would I do other that work and ride anyway!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I obviously pay for everything now for both my "kids" And that is how I support my addiction!

I don't know anymore what's a cat & what's just an inanimate object covered in cat hair.

hobson
Nov. 20, 2002, 10:06 AM
I climbed the non-profit ladder during my 20s working for city recreation programs, rape crisis centers, professional theater, all the while mucking a LOT of stalls to pay board on one horse. I couldn't afford to show much or take lessons. Now I'm 33 and in a great job in a university department. Just by dumb luck and timing I've been interim department head for the past year, a fact I used to leverage myself a whompin' big raise. I can finally pay the bills without having that ulcers-acting-up feeling. I also have a business partnership doing training seminars and writing publications on sexual assault/sexual harassment/intimate partner violence/child sexual abuse. After 3 years of bumping around aimlessly we've suddenly got some big contracts this year. I still have to drive my used truck and trailer and board at a low-cost small private stable, but I love my barn and am totally happy with the level I'm riding at.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't really, really, really like to hit it big in the big lottery games and just canter my horses around all day.

Madison
Nov. 20, 2002, 10:21 AM
Though my career goal is to be a lottery winner so I can ride more, work less, I'm currently a senior associate in a large Atlanta-based law firm. I do complex commercial litigation work (all defense). My parents are getting great enjoyment watching ME foot the bills this time around. My dad wanted to know what I paid for my horse, and I told him unless he was making a financial contribution to that cause, to mind his own business! he never asked again . . .

reefy!
Nov. 20, 2002, 10:40 AM
I'm a system analyst/engineer for a health information systems company.

I work mostly from home now but for 7 years, I travelled every week (during which I stopped riding for obvious reasons!). I switched from a managerial/consulting position with my company so that I could stop travelling and get back to riding. I can't say I love my job but it pays the bills and keeps my horse housed, fed, shod, etc.

The funny thing is that I started out as a med tech in a hospital and found a company to take a chance on my 'potential' computer skills. I certainly make more money than if I had stayed in a lab but I'm back to working mainly with our lab product so I'm not so far removed from my roots!

If I could find a job locally that paid the same as I make now, I'd consider switching if I thought I'd like the work better but beggars can't be choosers and where I live there just aren't a lot of good paying jobs (especially where I get to stay home every day and look like a slob while I work /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

My backup plan is to find a nice marriage minded guy who also has a fabulous job and makes enough to support our children and horses. A girl can dream, can't she /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing so grand as to fly on the back of a horse!

Weatherford
Nov. 20, 2002, 11:03 AM
Write.

Have done LOTS of things, but this is what I enjoy most (and do best!).

Wrote lots of freelance articles, etc, while working other jobs - incuding my own used (horse and sporting) book business. Then, was hired to edit a computer manual. My boss discovered my writing abilities as well as my computer skills, and from there I worked as a consultant writing computer manuals, other tech documents, and creating/designing/writing online Help systems for Fortune 50 companies. Great fun.

Now, I primarily write books. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No fiction, yet! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It's OUT! Linda Allen's 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

alsvider
Nov. 20, 2002, 11:09 AM
It's nice to see other juniors that pay their own way! I'm 16, homeschooled which makes things a lot easier...
I actually started homeschooling so I could support a horse of my own, and because when I was in school I had no time to ride.
Work full time at a barn, mornings are feeding, barn chores, training horses. Afternoons are teaching lessons & schooling horses. Then feeding again at night. Unfortunately, it makes it difficult to fit in my own horse... I'm planning on switching to just afternoons so I can ride in the morning. He's also not kept at that barn so even more logistical problems! Don't show much, although I'm saving up for some recognized events & dressage shows next year... and work off lessons every two weeks.

My parents provide moral support and transportation and I am so grateful for it all. My mother wished she could have ridden as a child so although they can't support me finacially, she does just about everything else. I'm actually really glad I work for it all myself. Gives me something that is completely mine, and my responsibility for one, plus I learn so much and get awesome experience and meet great people working full time.
I really want to do this professionally, and my plan as of now is to do the working student thing and try to make some contacts, which I'm working on now as well. I will get some sort of associate degree at a community collage so I have a back-up, but not sure if I'll go to collage full-time yet.

Liverpool
Nov. 20, 2002, 12:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm 16, homeschooled which makes things a lot easier...I actually started homeschooling so I could support a horse of my own, and because when I was in school I had no time to ride.

Work full time at a barn, mornings are feeding, barn chores, training horses. Afternoons are teaching lessons & schooling horses. Then feeding again at night. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er... pardon the question, but when do you actually STUDY if you are at the barn full time, morning, afternoon and night?

Please tell me that you are serious about getting at least the Associates Degree you mentioned.

Even if you end up doing the horses professionally, it will be a help in running your business (amazing how that accounting will come in handy when you have to send out the bills and keep track of the cash flow) and if, god forbid, something happens to you and you simply cannot do that for a living, you will have something else to fall back on.

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

katarine
Nov. 20, 2002, 01:31 PM
for a software company. I make a decent income and my husband helps with horse costs, too. I don't show, but camping and trail riding can be $$- too many trips to Wally World.

I would love to work with horses for a living, but I like health insurance, weekends off, and my 401(k) plan, even though it is on life-support at this time. There's something to be said for making a living AND a life.

Why not?

alsvider
Nov. 20, 2002, 03:22 PM
&lt;&lt;Er... pardon the question, but when do you actually STUDY if you are at the barn full time, morning, afternoon and night?&gt;&gt;

Hehe, reasonable question! I get to the barn at 9 AM, I am up at 7 (not willingly...) and usually work for about an hour before I go. I take stuff with me, and work during lunch & any other breaks I get. I also have about two hours when I get home that I use. Highschoolers spend about 8 hours in school, so many people think I need that much time to do my schoolwork, however, I can learn the same things in half the time, because it is a school of one and there is no 'busy work!' /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As I said as well, I am switching to afternoons only for more time with my horse, and also because I have signed up for two more correspondance courses so I will need more time for them.

Now that it seems like I have no life..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I do find time to hang out with friends on weekends and friday nights. I also have some friends who work at the barn.

And yes, I am serious about an associate degree. I will probably take a gap year a go be a working student, decide if it really is what I want to spend my life doing (I am loving it full time now but it's not quite the same level), and then go back to school for a bit. I'm thinking of graphic design, or something else that would provide me with oppourtunities to work from home.

HSM
Nov. 20, 2002, 05:23 PM
You said you have done a double major in Equestrian Studies and English: what are your plans if you don't mind my asking? And what college are you at?

HSM
Nov. 22, 2002, 08:17 AM
..since I'd like Nylar to see my question! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

malarkey
Nov. 22, 2002, 09:03 AM
and the only reason I'm still there is because it supports my expensive habits. well sort of. I drive an 11 yr old car, I rent my house (don't own) don't own a truck or trailer, but am lucky enough to have my horse 5 minutes from where I work, but can only afford the trainer 2x a week :-/ and, really couldn't afford the horse of my dreams. so I ended up with a green mare when I was looking for a gelding with milage. hmmm. the other money-sucking habit I have is good food & wine. I think I was a roman in a past life, lol. no husband, no kids. no one to help me support these addictions but myself. I'm also hopeless at managing money :-/

*member of the connemara clique*

ClemsonGraduateRider
Nov. 22, 2002, 09:06 AM
I graduated from college with honors in May, got a well paying job, however the hours were long and I really didn't like what I was doing or where i was doing it. So I quit that job and went back to unemployment which was horrid!! NO $, had to beg my parents to lend me some. They were and are very kind with helping me out if I need it, even though I HATE asking them.

I then waited tables for two months, worked 10 out of 14 shifts a week, raked in decent money, not enough to pay for everything I wanted to do, but the hours were long and thankless and I was exhausted and rarely got to ride. Quit that.

Unemployed up until last Thursday. While I was unemployed (and still) I have been doing random horse related things, I have been clipping horses, pulling manes, etc. That luckily will pay rent for Dec. And NOW I work at Victoria's Secret. Hopefully that will help me pay rent for Jan and buy Christmas presents for everyone. I will be moving back home right before Christmas but will still be paying rent here since its a pain to get out my lease. Moving back home will essentially equal no riding expenses since I have no idea where or with whom I will be able to ride.

I plan on going back to school next fall, and take out the max amount of loans in order to pay for rent, school and lessons!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif After I get my masters I intend to be a high school guidance counselor, not a lot of money but I also plan to work on my Ph.D. which will up the salaray a tad.

I don't know how its going to work out but if I managed this far I figure I can continue living poor!!

- - - - - -
"We learn from history that we do not learn from history." ~ George Bernard Shaw

Sparky22
Nov. 22, 2002, 09:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by commodore:
I would still love to hear from juniors who pay their own way. I simply don't see how it is possible. I have been thinking that maybe I am so one-track-minded--maybe you guys don't do it on the level I did???? (see post previous page) I always forget there are other ways to ride/own horses. Thanks for your input--I still am so impressed with you guys!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a junior, but I can tell you what I did /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I started riding when I was about seven and was insanely hooked after riding with a GREAT trainer. He got me very enthusiastic! I went to my first "A" show when I was 9, and could only do so because he paid for the stall for the pony I rode, so my mom only had to pay for the entries. I ended up getting some great ribbons and got even more hooked. I spent every summer after as a bonafied barn rat /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif. I hung around the barn ALL the time, learning about the horses and riding. So by the time I was 12 or 13, finances were very bad and I still managed to show off and on, mostly because people gave me horses (and a pony or two) to show so they could sell them.

I started working as a working student about then, and not a dime left my pocket the rest of my time riding as a junior. I couldn't afford lessons or anything, but worked at the barn 6-7 days a week cleaning stalls, TOs, riding, all the barn work that goes into keeping things running smoothly, as well as work around the property and whatnot. My hard work was well-recieved and I spent all the summers from around the time I was 12 or 13 on the road at horse shows. I had a lot of great opportunities and showed in all the big eq on catchrides, and some hunters and some more jumpers. I ended up spending my last years in the junior jumpers as well as a bunch of other misc. rides competing at tons of horse shows. Without any money to pay for lessons (let alone a horse or showing), I managed to get TONS of rides and went and showed at shows like WEF and Lake Placid. The entire time I was working, grooming and riding at these shows, I also spent a lot of nights up braiding.

So, there I was, not a dime in my pocket and surrounded by amazing horse people...
I found myself riding along side some great riders. Watching great riders and trainers, and making some great friends and valued aquaintances. I spent most of those years riding in my trainer's old saddle covered in patches (that was way too small), and wore the same darn huntcoat from the time I was 12 until I was 19. I got some flack from some of my friends when I got off to take off a martingale before a flat phase (and people still mention that ugly old thing), but it was all in good fun. I was given my first saddle of my own as a graduation present when I graduated from high school. Still banging around in it, although I have pretty much killed it and will soon have a new one (also a gift).

Now I am still working to pay for my riding, although I do quite a bit more riding and teaching than mucking. I still stay up long nights braiding horses, and work 6-7 days a week when I am not at school. There is nothing I would do to change the way I learned to ride, and I value the experiences (both good and bad), and horsemanship I learned along the way.

~~Kate~~

--------------------------
I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest
-- John Keats

cpag53
Dec. 1, 2002, 05:25 PM
I am a nurse... work 3- 12 hour shifts to allow for more days to ride with my 13 y.o. dtr. I am not comfortable... have spent total of 1350 for 3 horses in my life. We conserve and improvise as much as possible. Sometimes, hard choices get made... lots of work for the 13 y.o and not much "goodies" for the rest of the family. HOWEVER, the benefits far outweigh the sacrifices. A bad day at the barn is better than a good day elsewhere!!

teal tea
Dec. 1, 2002, 06:48 PM
I have a masters in Poli Sci and I work at a state agency where I'm overqualified and underpayed, seriously. The good thing is that my parents help me w/ my bills (and horse). However, I am looking to get a better job. Even if the pay wasn't much better than I'm getting right now, if the job made me happy and feel like I was really using my talents and helping people (yes I still have some of that idealistic hope that led me to make the decision to be a liberal arts major, but its dwindling and I'm somewhat jaded about changing the world). So if anyone has any leads on political jobs, please let me know.
I think it was Fred who posted that she worked in the entertainment industry. I have always wanted to work in that since I was 8 yrs old. I don't care what I what do. I've kind of given up dreams of being the next Meryl Streep, but I know that I would still be happy working in the background.