PDA

View Full Version : WEG -- USA wins the team GOLD!

Melinda
Sep. 10, 2002, 05:32 AM
The USET Names Eventing Team and Individuals For World Equestrian Games -- see www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com) for full details.

Stay tuned for photos and reports from John Strassburger, Beth Rasin and Melinda Volkert on location in Jerez, Spain.

More at the end of the thread!!! W.

[This message was edited by Melinda on Sep. 15, 2002 at 07:57 AM.]

Melinda
Sep. 10, 2002, 05:32 AM
The USET Names Eventing Team and Individuals For World Equestrian Games -- see www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com) for full details.

Stay tuned for photos and reports from John Strassburger, Beth Rasin and Melinda Volkert on location in Jerez, Spain.

More at the end of the thread!!! W.

[This message was edited by Melinda on Sep. 15, 2002 at 07:57 AM.]

Robby Johnson
Sep. 10, 2002, 06:32 AM
And what horse(s) are Kim and Amy riding?

Thanks Melly-Mel!

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

TopBritYR
Sep. 10, 2002, 07:40 AM
Kim's riding Dan and Amy Poggio II.
thats what i heard from plain dealing yesterday!

Invest in the Journey, not the Destination
"Some People are born great, some people are great, and some people achive greatness."

Janeway
Sep. 10, 2002, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
Have they jogged yet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No not yet. They do that tomorrow morning. Actually, the schedule is exactly the same as for any of the other big 4 stars, what with the trot up and briefing on the wednesday, dressage thurs/fri and the x-country saturday with s/j sunday.

Have you looked at the offical site yet Robby? They have done a really nice job. There is even a funky moving x-country diagram (you know those are my favourites /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Check it out:
Jerez World Equestrian Games (http://www.jerez2000weg.com)

Wojjie
Sep. 10, 2002, 02:20 PM
I'll set my VCR to tape any coverage, if anyone knows if there will be any - this weekend, or whenever. Thanks!
Wojjie

Wojjie

Robby Johnson
Sep. 10, 2002, 02:28 PM
Janeway, but the dates are inconsistent with the schedule, apparently. They have the three day listed as beginning on 9/10, and I assumed that would be the day they jog (since that is actually what is consistent with other schedules).

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

Janeway
Sep. 10, 2002, 04:39 PM
I remember seeing that as well Robby, but they have fixed the dates now! It now has the dressage starting on Thursday the 12th /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Robby Johnson
Sep. 11, 2002, 12:06 PM
And what's going on with it? It's 2 o'clock here, shouldn't it be, like 9 p.m. there?

Robby

Janeway
Sep. 11, 2002, 12:13 PM
Apparently they have jogged believe it or not Robby as I just saw a blurb on the Australian website annoucing that their event team had all passed.

Why are all the websites so slow to update? As you pointed out, its well into evening in Western Europe, you'd think that Horse and Hound or Eurodressage etc. would have updated by now, let alone the offical WEG site /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

They need you out there Robby! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JER
Sep. 11, 2002, 12:46 PM
Has anybody else noticed the consistent and quite comical misspelling of 'three' on the official WEG website?

(Or perhaps an Irishman is in charge of the site's English translations!)

JAGold
Sep. 11, 2002, 12:55 PM
I'm having trouble finding info on the official site. Can anyone post a link to the eventing info/results section? Thanks! --Jess

KateDB
Sep. 11, 2002, 01:08 PM
web page (http://www.jerez2002weg.com)

Kind of hard to negotiate around within, IMHO.
And click on the Union Jack for English, rather than the word English (it is backwards)!

One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

drifting cloud
Sep. 11, 2002, 01:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it's official: 'tree'-day event!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well...event riders do jump logs and branches that come from trees! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"Some days are easy, like licking icing off a spoon. Today was more like stapling jell-o to a brick."

JAGold
Sep. 11, 2002, 01:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KateDB:

Kind of hard to negotiate around within, IMHO.
And click on the Union Jack for English, rather than the word English (it is backwards)!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! I've found the site, but not any information on it! --Jess

titan
Sep. 11, 2002, 06:41 PM
There are two blurbs on the UDBB one from Sally O'C and one from Jimmy W that both indicate preliminary reports of the cross country course are "huge, trappy, twisty, and some are looking a little green" after viewing it!

Robby Johnson
Sep. 12, 2002, 03:33 AM
I'm assuming there's a technical problem, since no updates have been made by COTH since yesterday morning? Melinda, if you're out there reading, I'm with you in spirit, sister! You will persevere!

Robby

Chaser
Sep. 12, 2002, 04:25 AM
Here's a snippet from Horse and Hound online:

"British team raring to go
After the first horse inspection, Britain is eighth in the team order, a distinct advantage as they will get some feel as to how the cross-country is riding.
Team manager Yogi Briesner has highlighted the two water complexes as potential troublespots and suggests that few will try the direct route at the second. However, he thinks he has discovered a compromise between the long and short routes to save time.
The team order is the same format that won the European gold medal last year, Jeanette Brakewell as pathfinder, for the fourth consecutive time, Leslie Law second, Pippa Funnell third and William Fox-Pitt as the ever-cool anchorman. Individuals are Tina Cook and Polly Stockton.
The New Zealand team, reigning champions, comprises team stalwarts Andrew Nicholson and the reigning individual title holder Blyth Tait, plus newcomers Dan Jocelyn and Kate Lambie, who sprung to prominence when fifth at Badminton.
Helana Tompkins, who rides the less experienced Crusada, is an individual.
Double Olympic gold medallist Phillip Dutton is a surprise omission from the Australian team with House Doctor, the horse he rode in Sydney and all selector Gill Rolton would say was: "You can draw your own conclusions as to our decision."
Instead rookies David Middleton, winner and runner-up of the Adelaide four-star, and Olivia Bunn get the call, along with Olympic gold medallists Stuart Tinney and Andrew Hoy, although both ride horses who are unknown quantities at this level.
Kick-off is at 10am on Thursday (12 September), with a Spanish lunch-break of three hours and the second team horses running in the cool of the evening."

H&H link (http://www.countrylife.co.uk/weg/reventing.htm)

Chaser
Sep. 12, 2002, 04:28 AM
News Flash!

David O'Connor leads on 34.4 penalties at 11.40 am Thursday.

From the British Eventing website:

"British team riders Jeanette Brakewell on Over to You has ridden an excellent test to achieve a personal best score achieving 45.6 penalties, this taking her into 4th place. Polly Stockton and the former Mark Todd ride Eye Spy are close behind on 54.4 penalties, but the current leader is David O'Connor on 34.4 penalties.(Provisional scores as of 11.40am Thursday 12th September)"

British Eventing (http://www.britisheventing.co.uk/home.html)

AppJumpr08
Sep. 12, 2002, 05:24 AM
Its amazing how well you do when your horse is 17...

Erin
Sep. 12, 2002, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
I'm assuming there's a technical problem, since no updates have been made by COTH since yesterday morning? Melinda, if you're out there reading, I'm with you in spirit, sister! You will persevere!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know when this went online, but the report on the first day of the dressage team competition is up... the US riders are doing GREAT so far!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/features/02/WEG/dressage/weg_grprixteam_day1.html

It's not eventing, I know, but we gotta root for the DQs too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JAGold
Sep. 12, 2002, 06:35 AM
Can anyone find eventing dressage scores online, or an order of go? --Jess

Gry2Yng
Sep. 12, 2002, 06:43 AM
Anyone know why COTH lists only Penny and Bruce as members of the Canadian Team? What is going on there?

Robby Johnson
Sep. 12, 2002, 06:47 AM
And yes, Erin, we gotta give the shouts out to our DQ's (we loff them!).

Robby

Erin
Sep. 12, 2002, 06:48 AM
Hrm... maybe the final team hadn't been named when that issue went to press? Although usually COTH would list all of the possible contenders.

Got me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Sep. 12, 2002, 07:12 AM
So what conclusions do you all draw from Phillip and House Doctor being off the team?

Also, any idea why Darien Powers stayed home??

xcjumper
Sep. 12, 2002, 07:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gry2Yng:
Anyone know why COTH lists only Penny and Bruce as members of the Canadian Team? What is going on there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was wondering that also. I know for a fact that James Atkinson is there on Revisionist and he is listed on the WEG site. He is a good friend on mine!! GO JAMES!!!!!

~Run fast, Jump high. What else is there?~

Jair
Sep. 12, 2002, 08:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl:
So what conclusions do you all draw from Phillip and House Doctor being off the team? Also, any idea why Darien Powers stayed home??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering that too ponygyrl. The way it was written on the Australian site "you can make your own conclusions about why Phillip and House Doctor aren't on the team" made it sound ominous.

I do know that Darien Powers was off the team due to his horrible showjumping record. He is so beautiful in dressage and brilliant x-country, but then sucks at the jumping. He has lost 1st place more than once!

Melinda
Sep. 12, 2002, 09:02 AM
Since you are all wondering.... yes there are delays. Here in Spain, they take a 3 hour siesta every afternoon. Sometimes the competitions are not over until 10 pm at night. Then there is a delay until we get the official results. Then the press center closes or we have to catch a bus back to our hotel which is an hour away. Internet connections from the hotel are not available. So that is why there will be delays over the next two weeks. We are working long hours in the hot sun to bring you the best possible coverage possible. Please bear with us!

Thanks!
Melinda, Beth and John

Robby Johnson
Sep. 12, 2002, 09:31 AM
and know that your salivating Pavlonian dogs back here in the US are waiting for any little scrap you can throw us! Be good!

Robby

JAGold
Sep. 12, 2002, 11:45 AM
Here's what USEA had to say after the jog:

Late Breaking News

U.S. HORSES LOOKING GOOD AT FIRST JOG - by CHRIS STAFFORD

9/12/02

The Three Day Event got under way at the World Equestrian Games Wednesday with the first jog and the American squad looked in great form. Amy Tryon from Redmond, WA, presented both Poggio II and My Beau and will partner Poggio here in Jerez. They will ride their test on Friday afternoon local time (+6 ET).

Kimberly Severson-Vinoski also had the luxury of two horses from which to choose and has opted to ride her seasoned partner, Winsome Adante, over Royal Venture; going last of the 80 riders on Friday evening as team anchor.

The sole veteran from the World Games in Rome, David O�Connor from The Plains, VA, is the team pathfinder and will set up the American challenge today when he rides his 1998 team silver medalist, Giltedge at 11:51am. David bought both his Sydney Olympic partners to Europe and while it was surely a close call, he chose �Tex� over Custom Made as he said, �he went so well in England� during their final preparations.

Another Virginian, John Williams, on the 10-year-old Carrick looked ready for their team debut and will enter the Chapin arena at 6:24pm today.

Another rookie on the squad is Gina Miles from Creston, CA, who will compete as an individual on McKinlaigh. They ride this evening at 7:30pm.

Darren Chiacchia of Springville, NY, is the other individual entry with the 13-year-old R.G.S. Renegade. They will be performing their dressage test on Friday at 10:27am.

Riders from 21 nations will take part in the 4th World Equestrian Games, which is considered by many to be a very open event. Reigning world champion, Blyth Tait, leads the New Zealand challenge to defend their title with Ready Teddy and while they and the Australian squad will be in contention for team medals, perhaps the strongest challenge will come from the U.S., Great Britain, Sweden, Germany and France given the experience of horse and rider combinations.

There are several combinations in with a serious chance of an individual medal including the reigning European Champion and 2002 Badminton winner, Pippa Funnell (GBR). Another former European Champion, Bettina Hoy (GER) could be heading the leader board after the dressage phase riding Woodsides Ashby and one can never rule out Finland�s Piia Pantsu when the chips are down.

It would be a brave pundit to rule out the veterans, including David O�Connor, Andrew Hoy, (AUS), Andrew Nicholson (NZL), Phillip Dutton (AUS) and Leslie Law (GBR). But this is a funny old sport that can turn the tables on those combinations that were in-form coming into the competition. There�s always a chance of a surprise coming through the individual ranks at the World Games but we can be confident of a strong squad who have all the qualities we need to turn the pressure on when the chips are down.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 12, 2002, 11:52 AM
I am going CRAZY checking every site looking for some sort of news.

Melinda
Sep. 12, 2002, 12:03 PM
Phillip Dutton on House Doctor is currently 1st, John Williams on Carrick is 2nd and David O'Connor is 3rd on Giltedge.

More dressage on Friday.

Beth will be posting a story and photos - stay tuned!

Erin
Sep. 12, 2002, 12:05 PM
Hey! Y'all go over to the dressage forum and check out the news... US DQ contingent (well, DQs and Guenter! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) won SILVER! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Melinda
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:08 PM
Check out www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com) to see the write-up and photos from the first day of eventing dressage!

JAGold
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:22 PM
GO USA!! We almost expect spectacular tests from David, now, but I'm so happy to see John William's horse put up such a good score. He's really a nice horse (you can read my raves about him in an old thread about the Mandatory outing, if you are so inclined, but he has a great trot!), and John has done a wonderful job with him. The horse looked so much more relaxed this summer than last year, even. John and David did what Captain Phillips has consistently asked: they scored in the 30s.

And, of course, I am absolutely THRILLED that Gina put in a good test! "Without any major mistakes" is wonderful for a rider at her second four star ever and an eight year old horse -- there is something to be said for being hot at the right moment! A 47.6 is a solid score; it's actually a 10-point improvement from their score at Rolex.

I can't wait to hear about Kim, Amy, and Darren tomorrow. Thanks for the update, Melinda! --Jess

Badger
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:30 PM
Story says John and David are tied for second, and elsewhere on this thread it says John is second and David third. I take it the story is the correct one?

Don't take life so seriously...it's not permanent.

samie
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:32 PM
I thought house doctor wasn't going to be ridden?

Ride your horse calm , strait and forward. - Walter Zettl

Badger
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:40 PM
House Doctor is competing as an individual, not as a team horse.

In general (and I have no idea about this situation), when the selectors make decisions between individual and team slots, they put the highest priority on having team horses that will finish all phases and contribute a solid score. Brilliant horses might not make a "team" slot if there are questions about soundness or inconsistent or unreliable performance.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 12, 2002, 01:53 PM
that the comment to "draw your own conclusions" about House Doctor, means that they think the four horses chosen for the team are more likely to pass the jog on Sunday morning. It certainly isn't the experience of the rider, and although young the horse has been around a four star course as well.

JAGold
Sep. 12, 2002, 03:05 PM
From Saddletude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One of the best tests of the day was provided by twenty-seven-year-old Kate LAMBIE (NZL), 34.4, riding NUFARM ALIBI.

The horse she rode into fifth place at Badminton CCI****, England earlier this year, appeared relaxed and produced some of the best canter extentions of the competition so far, scoring a perfect ten score for each. She was also awarded a ten for her riding and one for the 'submission' giving her four tens in all. LAMBIE who is the least experienced of the New Zealand squad is competing as an individual at her first World Championships. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! 10s on the collectives, as well as on extensions! That is amazing -- I would have loved to see that test. (And I wonder what other movements scored such that she did not beat Dutton...) --Jess

NZ
Sep. 12, 2002, 03:41 PM
I'm waving my flag for Kate. This girl (she is only 27 or 28) has worked her butt off to get to the WEG. She didn't complete at Adelaide, and a lot of people wrote her off (her very first 4* on a horse she has produced herself from scratch!). She kicked butt at Puhinui 3* in December - winning in atrocious conditions. Then she made the snap decision to fly Alibi to the Uk and contest Badminton where she placed 5th. She truely deserves every success she gets. She works darn hard at it, and it is about time she got the kudos she deserves..IMHO of course! I don't know her personally, but I have followed her success with interest.

Oh, and for those interested, her mare is by the famous NZ sire Aberlou (sired Messiah and Delta) and is out of a part Irish Draught mare.

Go Kate!

cheeky_appy
Sep. 12, 2002, 04:54 PM
She really is a fanatastic rider and deserves support wherever she can get it. Alibi is such a wonderful looking chap, as on the cover of Horse and Pony the other month at Badminton. I was so happy to hear that she was sitting 4th after todays dressage. I sincerely hope that she continues this great effort and also the best of luck to the rest of our team!! Go Kiwis!!

Debbie: Appaloosa lover!!
Member of the Do It Yourself Clique
And founder?? of the Appaloosa show jumping clique

Russell Hall
Sep. 13, 2002, 01:40 AM
Check out the eventers.co.nz site (http://www.eventers.co.nz/weg_olympics/daily/thursday/thursday.shtml) for photos of Kate's test (and Phillip's, David's and others!)

Chaser
Sep. 13, 2002, 03:58 AM
Did anyone else see this quote on the selection of Giltedge over Custom Made?

From H&H

"David O'Connor, the reigning Olympic champion, is riding the 16-year-old Giltedge, a team bronze medallist at Sydney and winner of Rolex Kentucky last year.

Giltedge was chosen over Custom Made, the 1997 Badminton and 2000 Olympic champion, because "he's the technician, whereas Custom Made is the flamboyant one and we feel that this competition is going to require a technician".

At what stage does a decision need to be made on which horses run? Is it after riders have seen the course, as this quote implies, or did people just assume the course was likely to be a technical one?

H&H WEG (http://www.countrylife.co.uk/weg/reventing.htm)

There is some discussion of the xc course too in this article. The first water complex seems to be giving some concern. The long route involves an underground tunnel but many riders are seriously considering this instead of the direct track down a replica Hickstead Derby Bank.

Badger
Sep. 13, 2002, 06:07 AM
I read somewhere a week or so ago (US Event Horse? Chronicle? Somewhere...) that Amy Tryon would be jogging both horses and a final selection would be made after inspection of the x-c course. So it sounds like the riders with two horses got to inspect the course and then make a determination about which horse was best suited.

fernie fox
Sep. 13, 2002, 07:07 AM
Pippa and Supreme Rock 28.6

fernie fox
"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 08:24 AM
More really sensational marks: from a link from www.horsemagazine.com: (http://www.horsemagazine.com:)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Amazing 20.8 in the dressage arena!
A test made in heaven for by Bettina Hoy and the sensationally moving big grey Woodsides Ashby. The German pair did the test of their lives to produce by far the most stunning test of the competition so far.

The test had the quality and softness of David O'Connor's test, the balance and acuracy of Phillip Duttons test but also flair, expression and quality work in all paces. It can really be summed up by the collective markes: Paces 9 9 9 Impulsion 9 10 10 Submission 9 9 10 Riding 10 10 10 !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could see the tests -- I'd love to know how the judging compares to Rolex!

Anyone know how Kim scored? She must have ridden by now... --Jess

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 08:27 AM
Also, more dressage reporting from USEA:

Late Breaking News

U.S. Take The Lead After First Day�s Dressage - by Chris Stafford

9/12/02

Pathfinder, David O�Connor, set a new standard for the competition when he headed the leader-board with a score of 34.20 with his best performance yet for Giltedge on the first morning of dressage here in Jerez. �It felt fabulous� he said afterwards knowing this would be Tex� swansong. �He�s a real competitor.� A score of 10 for his entry was an indication that this 16-year-old veteran was as fit and ready as he�s ever been and there was an abundance of 8�s and 9�s to follow including three 9�s for a serpentine and two for his second flying change. �This is one of his best tests although he�s been in the 30�s before� added David. �He has that quality, he�s so rideable, like playing an instrument. David and Tex have had the benefit of some extra training in recent weeks with the help of Sandy and Mark Phillips, which he said, �has been very helpful.�

Later in the day fellow Virginian, John Williams, riding on the team for the second time, produced a personal best with the ten-year-old Canadian bred chestnut Thoroughbred gelding, Carrick, to also score 34.20. John was not so sure yesterday that he could produce this quality of test but today he said, �he felt very loose and free� and was rewarded with consistent 8�s throughout the test plus three 9�s for his final halt. This was �his best test ever� added 37-year-oldJohn who remained level headed in the heat of the Spanish sun. �All day I�ve been quite content with it all, not too nervous and not too excited.� Carrick is known to be very laid back, �he�s not a very enthusiastic horse� he added, �but he�s always been steady.�

The U.S. team is comfortably in the lead at the half way stage of the dressage phase as Chef d�Equipe, Mark Phillips quipped with a broad smile, �I�ll settle for that.�

Individual entry, Gina Miles, had to wait all day to make her championship debut with Thom Schulz� eight-year-old gelding McKinlaigh but his best performance to date produced a score of 47.60 to put them in equal 14th place. �It felt very good� said a delighted Gina. �The horse is very young and it felt a bit like a whirlwind experience� she added. Although she started eventing at the age of 14, Gina only caught the selectors eye last year when she rode the Irish bred gelding in their first horse trials. �He�s very laid back but for a big horse, he�s good at adjusting his stride.� Husband Morgan and three-year-old son Austin are here to support the 29-year-old Californian rider.

Just as David and John were getting used to dominating the top of the leader board, Pennsylvania based Australian, Phil Dutton, cruised past them aboard his Sydney Olympic gold medal partner, House Doctor, producing an immaculate test to score 33.60. �A lot goes into how you prepare your horse and it�s up to me to get the best out of him,� said Phil. �I was always hopeful that I could get around that score, he�s been working well up to this,� having had help from both Australian coach, Wayne Roycroft and latterly with U.S. dressage Chef d� Equipe, Jessica Ransehousen.

With two riders in the top three, the U.S. hold gold medal position at the end of the first day�s dressage with a score of 68.4 to give them a 12 point advantage over Australia on 84.8. Great Britain are currently in third on 87.6.

The quality of the dressage today has moved the standard up a notch and with more great riders to come tomorrow, it will be a tough competition.

poltroon
Sep. 13, 2002, 09:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Although she started eventing at the age of 14, Gina only caught the selectors eye last year when she rode the Irish bred gelding in their first horse trials.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like a little editing error in the article - Gina's had McKinleigh for several years, but only started running advanced last year.

dressager
Sep. 13, 2002, 09:48 AM
Isn't Aberlou also the sire of Aberjack who is Mark Todd's advanced stallion (But now standing in the US)?

Dressager
Overseas Clique

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 10:04 AM
Poltroon, yes, you are right, Gina's had McKinlaigh for about 3 years now. And she didn't ran her first advanced a bit earlier in the year than August, I believe -- she ran Fair Hill last fall, and August may have been when she came East to prepare. But I'm desperate for any WEG articles, accuracy be damned /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif --Jess

tle
Sep. 13, 2002, 10:14 AM
Something I've notice that seems to be a trend in US team eventing... unlike other countries, the US team seems to regularly put their veterans out their first and the "rookie" last in the order of go. One of the article I read mentioned another country (I just can't recall which) that was essentially based around a "veteran" achor. I can't remember which order they rode in Sydney, but since I did attend Atlanta as a spectator, I do remember that Bruce went out first and Jill Henneberg rode last. In the case of this year's WEG, David (the only WEG veteran on the team) is riding first. Is this odd? or am I just reading too much into the order of go? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, I'm thrilled for John! He's such a great person. Go USA!!

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy

fernie fox
Sep. 13, 2002, 10:34 AM
I think it used to be that they kept the best for last.

But, I agree that it is better to send an experienced rider out 1st.It gives "the team" a boost,and,the expert can report back how the course is riding and thus impart very valuable advice to the less experienced riders.

I think this is particularly important with the recent courses being built.

I like the new courses,but they deserve great respect,and the more experienced riders are capable of giving valuable feedback.

fernie fox
"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".

Weatherford
Sep. 13, 2002, 11:34 AM
I remember they sent Mike Plumb out first in 84 - and it was a really good thing. He came back and made everyone change their studs - as the course was far slipperier than they had reckoned. He rode for a solid clear round - one from which he COULD report back - that was his job.

Found the view, but too expensive

fernie fox
Sep. 13, 2002, 11:38 AM
Saturday 14th September

*********************TEAMS DRESSAGE UPDATE****************** Less than 2 penalties between the top FOUR teams GBR 110.6 - USA 111.8 - GER 112.4 AUS 112.8 - After the second walk of the cross country track at Garrapilos the thoughts are still the same. This Eventing World Championship will not be won on the dressage.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What a great competition.

fernie fox

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 11:38 AM
And I've read somewhere that it was David's choice to ride first -- what a team player! --Jess

JDufort
Sep. 13, 2002, 12:30 PM
The setup for the win is coming from dressage -

GER with one score of 20.8 averages 2 others at 45.8. Without the extraordinary top score, they could be 20 points back!

Good dressage will not win it, but bad dressage makes the climb back very difficult. Even average dressage makes it hard to consistently finish in the top 10.

Robby Johnson
Sep. 13, 2002, 12:40 PM
Site with good updates! (http://www.nzeventers.co.nz)

Bettina Hoy is leading the dressage with 20.80 penalty points! OMG!

Pippa is in second with 27 and change.

Robby

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 01:57 PM
Friday's report is up on the Chron site. Sounds like Poggio had the test of his life, while Kim's horse had some unfortunate luck. Crossing my fingers for XC! --Jess

Robby Johnson
Sep. 13, 2002, 01:59 PM
Kim's Rolex dressage score was 48, so she still did better - even with the apparent upward breaks of gait!

I fully expect her to jump around clean tomorrow.

Robby

JAGold
Sep. 13, 2002, 02:09 PM
True /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Like I said earlier, I'd love to see some of these tests! I don't ever remember so many 10s in one competition. (And I do remember Sally O'Connor saying that she's given 11 in her entire judging career.) I have no basis for speculating about whether these tests are amazingly improved since Rolex or if the judging is more generous, but I'd love to see them! And the horse in 1st sounds a bit green. It ain't over til the fat lady crosses the stadium finish flags. --Jess

Robby Johnson
Sep. 13, 2002, 02:24 PM
I am suspicious too, that they're apparently piping laughing gas into the judge's booths! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Robby

Jair
Sep. 13, 2002, 02:36 PM
I am suspicious too, that they're apparently piping laughing gas into the judge's booths! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either that or the judges are taste testing all the sherry that the region is named after!

Russell Hall
Sep. 13, 2002, 03:32 PM
One thing that is apparent is that the electronic scoring system has had its ups and downs (like a black screen...), so the spectators are not sure they can totally trust what the scoreboard says. However, whilst there has been at times great divergence between judges on some movements, generally the cumulative opinion has been consistent.

JER
Sep. 13, 2002, 07:49 PM
Alan Smith of the Uk Telegraph wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...it was a performance that needed no statistics to back up a rare moment of sporting excellence.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan Smith's been around our sport for a long time, so when he says this, it's a serious compliment.

(Unless, of course, Robby's laughing gas had wafted into the press tent...)

Helen
Sep. 13, 2002, 08:54 PM
Wish I could be there to see some of these fabulous tests in person. Maybe someone will produce a video I can buy to salve my pain! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Did you see that huge bank leading down to the first water complex?!? Oh my! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I can't wait to see tomorrow's XC results.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 03:23 AM
Not enough stud prevented David from going faster on course today with Giltedge. But he nursed him home with a clean go and his unofficial time was 12:52 -- the time on course is: 11:36

Stay tuned for more updates!

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 04:00 AM
John Williams and Carrick just finished the x-c with a time of 11:43 -- just outside the 11:37 time allowed - this is unofficial of course.

Stay tuned!

rebecca
Sep. 14, 2002, 04:17 AM
Melinda, are you getting JUST USA results, or others as well?Any updates would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
Becca

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 04:38 AM
Gina Miles and McKinlaigh just finished with a clean cross-country round in a time of: 13:31.

Official results are not available at this time and I will only be anouncing the US riders as they finish. Complete results, write-ups and photos will be available later on in the day.

Robby Johnson
Sep. 14, 2002, 04:58 AM
has any American gone the straight way at the first water yet? Was a team decision made on how to ride that?

Robby

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 05:45 AM
Darren's horse RG Renegade made a huge effort to try the short way at the first water and stumbled in the water and just couldn't jump the hut (12b). He circled around and had a fabulous trip the rest of the way.

David and John both went the short way at the first water. Gina started out the fast way and bobbled in the water and took the option.

Amy is about to go and the US is in first place in the team standings and John Williams is in 1st place individually. Pippa Funnell and Bettina Hoy just had a refusal each.

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 06:09 AM
Poggio II just caught his left hoof on 14a (The Euro) and then pecked on landing and Amy just rolled off. She is okay and mounted to continue on and finish in 15:39.

FlightCheck
Sep. 14, 2002, 06:54 AM
and go John Williams! He's worked very hard to get where he is.

fernie fox
Sep. 14, 2002, 07:30 AM
From. horsemagazine.com

LATEST AT THE EVENTING - CROSS COUNTRY DAY

Really you should all be going to bed in Australia right now, but if Kim Vinoski and Winsome Adante have less than 17 penalties, the American team will go into the lead. She is last to go at 16.30 - that's about 12.30 eastern in Australia. Will update then. Moonfleet ok, Andrew hurt his leg.

Scores thus far: John Williams and Carrick, 37; Phillip Dutton and House Doctor, 40.80; Pia Pantsu and Karuso, 44.6; Jeanette Brakewell and Over to You, 48; Stuart Tinney and Ava, 50; Jean-Luc Force and Crocus Jacob, 50.6; David Middleton and Willowbank Jack, 54.4; Dan Jocelyn and Silence, 57.8; Olivia Bunn and Top of the Line, 58; Andrew Nicholson and Fenicio, 59.80; David O'Connor and Gilt Edge, 64.60

Andrew Hoy and Moonfleet has had a fall at fence 8 and he certainly hasn't completed. Australia is in the lead but with only three horses for the team.

Sammi McLeod and Frederick Hunter, on course and that great Aussie TB gallop in action, trouble coming down the bank at the first water, all sorts of trouble on the long option, but through, starting to get the act together again, messy at the village, flying home, brilliant gallop,
clear 23.6 time and into 11th

Heidi Antikatzidas nasty fall at water with Sams Choices.

Pia Pantsu and Karuso from Finland, sensational run cross country, clear with 9.6 time to go into 3rd behind Phillip.

Rough team estimate goes like this:

Australia in the lead - 30 points up on Kiwis, and they are about 10 in front of Brits.

Heelan Tompkins and Crusada, real hairy through water, but still travelling and getting beter as they go, 2.4 on steeple, 30 time. Kiwis emerging as the threat.

American Amy Tryon and Poggio the yanks last chance to round Australia up, fall at the Euros, went in too fast, too deep, chipped. Gets back on but now it all depends on Kim Vinoski their last rider.

Dressage leader, Bettina Hoy riding Woodsides Ashby, steaming cross country, such a super horse, going the long ways like she said she would before the ride, but such a brilliant big galloper, sticky at second water, getting slower coming home and using the stick a bit, long way at the stair case and a stop. 34 time...

Pippa Funnell and Supreme Rock a stop at first water, 20.4 time -what a shame!

Olivia Bunn and Top of the Line, real hairy through first water but got to the other side. Great through second water, looking tired on the second half of the course, clear, 18.4 time

Darren Chichia - stop and lots of time.

Phillip Dutton and House Doctor, pressure off, not in team, out for individual gold and motoring, sticky through the first water but still going great, right to the end of the course, the horse looks great, clear with 7.2 time, into second place...

John Williams and Carrick, US team members clear with 1.75 ish time (no official results available) to go into the lead

Kate Lambie and Alibi a stop

British team member Leslie Law and Sheer H20 had a stop and lots of time...

Stuart Tinney and Ava looking cool and wonderful, riding like a hero, clear time corrected to 11.2

David Middleton and Willowbank Jack, come home clear, fabulous down bank through first big water, fast through second water, looked tired at the end, some long options,7.2 time - Jeanette Brakewell home for Britain, 4 time. German Herbert Blocker withdraws after phase C. David O'Connor and Giltedge, clear but 30 time...

fernie fox

JAS
Sep. 14, 2002, 07:40 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE REPORTS !!!! We are eager for all bits of info.

fernie fox
Sep. 14, 2002, 07:46 AM
I think the vetting tomorrow will cause a few upsets,hope I am wrong.

I feel there will be some tired and sore horses.

fernie fox

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 07:52 AM
Unofficially, the USA is in the lead after Kim cruised around the course in the fastest time of the day in 11:42 - this is good enough to put the USA in the lead.

Australia is 2nd and France is 3rd. These are unofficial results.

John Williams is still in 1st place individually.

Stay tuned for the write up and photos to follow.

fernie fox
Sep. 14, 2002, 08:14 AM
I would love to see Kim's ride on video.

She is "quite a gal".

fernie fox

SoEasy
Sep. 14, 2002, 08:26 AM
http://www.gillian-rolton.com/weg/index.php?param=ed2da94631971e0141b42d41e8520929

from one of the Aussies ...

The USA move into the lead...
At the moment The Aussi team are in the lead but it now comes down to last to go - Kimberly Vinoski for the US. Kimberly and the fab Kentucky winner Windsom Adante had all the pressure on and had a brillint round jumping clear with only 2.4 time to finish on 45.8 and Third place taking America into the lead in the teams competition.

Team classification 1st USA 146.8 fifteen penalties behind are AUS 162.4 and thirteen penalties behind us are France on 175.4

Helen
Sep. 14, 2002, 08:58 AM
It sounds like the first water complex was extremely influential (as expected). No one came in under the time, either, did they?

Daydream Believer
Sep. 14, 2002, 09:07 AM
OMG How Exciting!!!! How wonderful for Kim to come thru with a clean fast ride like that just when it was needed. Talk about pressure! So we have riders in 1st and 3rd? Wow! I'm so glad everyone got around without any injuries or big problems. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

SoEasy
Sep. 14, 2002, 09:22 AM
the standings they give as 'individual' are sort of screwy - they have TEAM and INDIVIDUAL competitors sorta mixed together .... our top riders are on the TEAM, Philip Dutton is at the top, but riding in the INDIVIDUAL competition, not the Australian TEAM ...
sorting the ones with * (TEAM) from the others is giving me eyeball cramps!

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 09:44 AM
The US Team is in first place with 147.40. Australia is in 2nd with 162.40 and France is in third with 175.40.

John Williams is in first individually with 37.00. Phillip Dutton riding as an individual for Australia, is in 2nd with 40.80. In third is Jean Teulere from France with 41.80.

Stay tuned for photos and story that will be posted soon!

Weatherford
Sep. 14, 2002, 11:20 AM
Oh hurry hurry hurry!!!

Now, hopefully we all pass the Vet checks AND have clean SJ rounds!!!

I'll bet the Aussie's are not happy that the highest placing for them right now wasn't on their TEAM!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Weatherford
Sep. 14, 2002, 11:23 AM
Interesting the comment about David and the wrong studs - THAT is EXACTLY the problem lead off rider Mike Plumb had in LA in '84!! And it was a darned good thing the most experienced led off, as it SAVED the rest of the team, AND the medal for us - looks that way again, perhaps??!!

Go, DAVID!!!

Melinda
Sep. 14, 2002, 11:30 AM
See the write up and photos from today's competition in Jerez, Spain at www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com)

Robby Johnson
Sep. 14, 2002, 06:32 PM
Don't challenge my homegirl cuz sister bites back! I knew she'd throw down a quick trip. Especially if she was disappointed with herself in the dressage. She is such a fierce competitor, I am just always in awe of her!

Can't wait til she gets back to the US. I'll have to send her a bottle of champagne.

Robby, crossing fingers for tomorrow!

Helen
Sep. 14, 2002, 07:26 PM
... for the final results tomorrow! I don't want to jinx us, but... wow! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

(And personally, I hope Phillip Dutton medals tomorrow - it would sure serve the Australian selectors right! I was shocked when they didn't select him to be part of the team. But that's enough cattiness out of me for one night... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

KBequestrian
Sep. 14, 2002, 08:30 PM
Great results for the US Team!

I think it is interesting in many articles that I have been reading on this site and others that are praising Kim Vinoski on her round. It sounds like she rode a wonderful round today. However, it is John Williams who is in the lead. Personally, I feel that he is one of the most elegant, classical riders in the sport. He is often over looked. He is a personal favorite of mine. I am so happy for him. This does not mean that I do not admire Kim also. I had the pleasure of meeting her and spending some one-on-one time with her this summer. She is a sweetheart.

Go John!!!

Janie
Sep. 15, 2002, 02:45 AM
I spent the weekend with Phillip Dutton's parents in Nyngan (Australia - where he comes from). We had a pony club advanced instructors weekend on there. Peter and Mary have been like cats on a hot tin roof all weekend.

Every now and then Peter would rush in with a little snippet of information for us all. God bless the internet - it enables us to keep up to date so easily!

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 03:18 AM
It looks like everyone except one Irish horse /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif passed the Vet inspection. That was posted on the Aussie site http://www.horsemagazine.com/index.html

Anxiously awaiting Melinda's live reports!!!

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 03:22 AM
This does not sound encouraging!!

From the Aussies <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The showjumping track is causing lots of problems, very light rails and they are clattering down regularly, clear rounds will be few and far between. Time is tight too... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Melinda, where are you?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (I know, all you people in the States are still asleep!!)

Badger
Sep. 15, 2002, 03:52 AM
"David O'Connor and Giltedge CLEAR no time, never even looked like pulling a rail." according to the Aussie site.

Robby Johnson
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:22 AM
OK, someone please redefine for me ...

Can our team members also win an individual medal? So John is perched on the edge of winning the individual gold, as well as team gold?

If this is the case, then I'm sorry for not giving a bigger shout out to John! He is also one of my favorites, not only because of his elegance and incredible skill, but because he is a very kind man as well.

For some reason I thought that individuals competed for individual medals, and teams competed for team medals. But now that I'm getting this first cup of coffee in me, I remember that Blyth won the individual in Rome and was team bronze.

So I guess the only thing that can happen is individuals cannot earn a team medal.

Is this accurate?

Robby

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:24 AM
Yeah but John dropped FOUR rails /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and Kim, 3 /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bummer - looks like the scored got REALLY REALLY mixed up, too - fascinating! I will be a lot of people are upset that SJ had this much impact on the final results.

Looks like it might be the French and the Aussies for Team???

Melinda?? (You must be too enthralled watching to report after each horse!!)

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:28 AM
True in the Olympics NOW, Robby, but I don't think in WEG. I may be wrong, however.

At the Olympics, there is some rule that says you can NOT earn two medals for the same performance - In gymnastics (where this also held true), the Team and INdividual efforts are totally separate. It was always overlooked in Eventing because of the caliber of and numbers of competitors needed.

Looks like John is out of the picture, anyway. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

As is Phillip /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Sep. 15, 2002 at 07:46 AM.]

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:30 AM
Horse Mag is refresing - maybe posting more scores??

WE GOT GOLD TEAM MEDAL!!!!!

Robby Johnson
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:39 AM
Sounds like the eventing was a real tax this time. That s/j sounds somewhat like carnage!

Di, when are you going to start eventing then?

I'll come to Ireland to groom for you (and do that makeover) if you promise me you'll enter and complete one!

Robby

Badger
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:39 AM
Per the Aussie site:

"Gold for the USA, silver for France, bronze to Great Britain

Individual gold for Jean Teulere, Silver for Jeanette Brakewell, Bronze for Pia Pantsu.

John Wiliams fourth, Phillip Dutton Fifth, Olivia seventh we think...

Four rails for John Williams no time

Three rails and two time for Phillip Dutton - he moves out of the medals to fifth.

Jean Teulere, no time one rail, he has bronze and France moves in front of us we think

Pia Pantsu, two rails, no time

Three rails no time for Kimberly Vinoski"

Yeah Team USA!!!!

Weatherford, your post should read that at the Olympics you can NOT win two medals for the same performance.

Badger
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:42 AM
Dutton finished 5th individually. It will be very interesting to see if the Australian team could have medalled if they'd been able to use his score instead of having it only count as an individual.

Weatherford
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:50 AM
Robby, dahling, you are ON!!

Just remember, the last time I evented in the US, I passed out on the XC course. The TD called me in the hospital and said, do you want the good news or the bad news?

I said, maybe good.

She said, you were fourth after dressage (in a HUGE division with all the BNR's!!)... the bad news is, had you gotten over the last fence, you would have WON it!!!

So, I do NOT event in the heat...

It is generally cool here in Ireland, however. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GO USA AND KUDDOS TO DAVID OCONNOR FOR PRODUCING THAT PERFECT AND NEEDED CLEAR!!!

Robby Johnson
Sep. 15, 2002, 04:52 AM
over Guinness!

I practically passed out on Willow during a s/j phase in Dallas, in June, because of heat and not eating all day. Fortunately she took good care of me and just came up to a halt as things looked gray there for me, for a minute!

Robby

Melinda
Sep. 15, 2002, 05:03 AM
Here are some quick results for now:

Team Placings
Gold - USA
Silver - FRANCE
Bronze - GREAT BRITAIN

4th - AUSTRALIA
5th - NEW ZEALAND
6th - ITALY
7th - IRELAND
8th - SWEDEN
9th - SWITZERLAND
10th - CANADA
11th - BRAZIL
12th - SPAIN
13th - GERMANY

Individual Placings
Gold - Jean Teulere FRANCE
Silver - Jeanette Brakewell GREAT BRITAIN
Bronze - Piia Pantsu FINLAND

4th John Williams USA
5th Phillip Dutton AUSTRALIA
6th Kimberly Severson-Vinoski USA
7th Olivia Bunn AUSTRALIA
8th Jean-Luc Force FRANCE
9th Andrew Nicholson NEW ZEALAND
10th David O'Connor USA

Stay tuned for photos and the write up!

Melinda
Sep. 15, 2002, 05:10 AM
Everyone competes as an individual and then there are the teams. The USA had 6 riders, 4 team members and 2 individuals. Unlike the Olympics where there are two seperate competitions, everyone at the WEG competes for an individual placing and if they are also on a team, then they can place as a team as well.

New this year, is if a person is eliminated or retires from the competition, they will receive 500 points to count towards their score. This way, all the teams finish so that they can qualify for the Olympics. Only the top 8 teams qualify.

Stay tuned for the full story from Beth and photos from John!

canterlope
Sep. 15, 2002, 06:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> New this year, is if a person is eliminated or retires from the competition, they will receive 500 points to count towards their score. This way, all the teams finish so that they can qualify for the Olympics. Only the top 8 teams qualify.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, make that 1000 pp for each rider that is eliminated or retires. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!

samie
Sep. 15, 2002, 06:24 AM
I like the way things are going in eventing . More options at the tougher jumps and more difficult stadium.

Ride your horse calm , strait and forward. - Walter Zettl

Daydream Believer
Sep. 15, 2002, 06:32 AM
I just logged on! What wonderful news! A gold and a silver so far! What a great WEG for the USA! Kudos to our team members!

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

JER
Sep. 15, 2002, 08:25 AM
Amazing job by the US team, and congratulations to the three individual medal winners -- all great riders who've been in the sport a long time and deserve a big day like this.

Melinda
Sep. 15, 2002, 08:31 AM
Full story and photos are now posted at: www.chronofhorse.com (http://www.chronofhorse.com)

Congrats to the US team and individual riders!

Three US dressage riders will be competing in the Grand Prix Freestyle tonight. Debbie McDonald has a strong chance of earning a medal for the USA.

Sue Blinks on Flim Flam at 10:30pm
Lisa Wilcox on Relevant at 11:00pm
Debbie McDonald on Brentina at 11:10pm

SoEasy
Sep. 15, 2002, 09:48 AM
and don't forget the Bronze to Devon Maitzo, in male individual Vaulting.

the US is having a great games!