PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a trick to pull out T posts?

QM2
May. 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
So, I'm moving to a different farm and I need to pull out about 30 metal T posts.

I don't have a tractor with a bucket to pull them out.

Anyone have a trick or tips that you could share?

Eastern Promises
May. 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
got an old car jack? like the kind where there was a little slot in your bumper that you put the jack???
You "may" be able to rig something up with a regular floor jack though.....put a block of wood, metal or something to grab the "nubbies" on the post, then raise the jack....may have to re-position to a lower nubby once or twice depending on how long/deep the posts are.

Or......how old are they??? "sometimes".....you can wiggle them loose pull by (gloved) hands if the ground is soft.

Basically....you need a lever. Ive seen people stack up some wood/bales/etc. then use any kind of bar/rod/other t-post on the stack with the end against a nubby and lift little by little.

HPFarmette
May. 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
i bought a "post popper" at Tractor Supply. Totally worth it. It is a jack, but has a tongue that slips around the post. Takes half a minute to pull a post.

hosspuller
May. 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
If they have been in place for a while... Counter intuitive... Drive them deeper say 1/2 inch. This breaks the soil bond allows for much less effort to pull them out. :D

Christa P
May. 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
If you have a tractor with a 3-point hitch you can use that and a chain.

Christa

susanne
May. 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Another vote for the t-post lifter/popper. Ours was less than $30 at Harbor Freight -- $1 per t-post for your job, plus you have it for the future. So worth every penny.

Bluey
May. 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
There are fences in the canyons we can't get to except on foot.
To pull posts there, wood or steel post, we wrap a chain around the post low and use these bottle jacks, wedged against the chain and post:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Torin-Jacks-2-Ton-Bottle-Jack/14560038

You can get them at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, any other such place.

With the steel post with nubs, even easier, put the jack top against the closest nub, pull the post against it, jack it up and it comes out of the ground easy.

Any little bottle jack works and are light to carry around, it doesn't take much to get them out.

cowboymom
May. 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hi lift jack and a chain.

Sansena
May. 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
Huh.. I would've suggested watering the ground well at the base and surrounding. Watching closely for more suggestions.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
T post popper.

I always have a lot of saved 2 liter pop bottles that I use for 101 things related to water. Oklahoma clay can dry hard as bricks. 2 liter pop bottle. Cap loosened just barely enough for an extremely slow water drip, set against each t-post. Come back next day & ground is much easier for use the t post popper to lift them out.

A gallon milk jug with the tiniest of holes works too. But they seem to blow away too easily once they are empty. It's the great plains, we get wind.

If you have a garden hose that reaches that is so much easier. ;)

QM2
May. 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
Oh thank you for all of your suggestions!

I think I will get a post popper from TSC. From what you all have said, it will be worth it.

I'm going to try and time it so that it is after a rain.

I knew there was something for me to try and I knew you all were the ones to ask.

Wish me luck, 30 T posts, 50 stall mats, 9 horses, 3 barn cats to move. I do believe the horses will be the easiest.

God help me. :eek:

fiftysomething1
May. 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
I bought a post puller from Kencove Farm Supply. It IS a lot like a car jack. Before that I used the tractor lift with a chain wrapped around the post which was also easy, but involved getting off to wrap the chain then get back on the tractor......that got old. I totally love the Post Jack from Kencove!!

ThisTooShallPass
May. 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
Stall mats are so much easier to pull out & drag down the barn aisle using pliers. Big pliers. In fact HUGE needle nose pliers. Your hands will thank you.

Bluey
May. 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Stall mats are so much easier to pull out & drag down the barn aisle using pliers. Big pliers. In fact HUGE needle nose pliers. Your hands will thank you.

Vice Grips pliers, bigger ones, work even better.
You don't have to hold them shut, they stay closed for you.:yes:

sk_pacer
May. 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Most people here use a logginchain (all one word, slurred together) and a tractor with a bucket. Just one post, a logging chain (see, I CAN spell) and a Jack-All.

ReSomething
May. 26, 2012, 04:08 PM
Now we have a post popper. AND a tractor. If one won't reach it the other will. However, back when I was poor I used to pull them by hand. Soak and rock the post back and forth, repeat. repeat and then puuuuull it out of the ground. Lots of times I used the tip of the shovel on the nubby thing and whatever I could find for a fulcrum to increase my leverage, rocks, chunks of wood etc.
Do love that post popper nowadays.