PDA

View Full Version : Squash

Aggie4Bar
May. 25, 2012, 09:33 AM
What do you do with yours when you and your family are completely squashed out? :D

And how do you use the monster zukes that result from neglecting to go forage in the garden for a day or two?

LauraKY
May. 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know. No one comes to our house and leaves their car unlocked, that's how bad it gets here in the summer.

Donate to a food pantry? Not the big ones, but the smaller. You can stuff the big ones.

RacetrackReject
May. 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
Squash and corn get blanched and frozen at my house. The overgrown zuks and cucumbers get fed to the chickens and any surplus cucumbers get turned into pickles.

I also give away a bit as well. I have squash and cucs coming out my ears and I arrived home to a gift from one of the neighbors of, you guessed it, squash and cucs..lol. I was also gifted eggplants too though.

Aggie4Bar
May. 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
My husband has threatened to Round-Up my squash plants, :lol:. The neighbors have reached their limit, and my co-workers are getting close.

The cukes are just starting to put on fruit in mass quantity, so I'm not in a cucumber panic yet. I made a half dozen jars of pickles last night and was able to give away the rest of the cukes this morning.

Is there some trick to blanching/freezing squash that doesn't leave them rubbery? Anyone have a really great bread or muffin recipe? I tried a brownie recipe last year from AllRecipes using zucchini, but it turned out more like chocolate squash.

Bacardi1
May. 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
For large summer squash - split lengthwise, remove & discard the seeds, stuff with whatever floats your boat (sauteed ground meat/rice/veggie mixtures are nice) & bake.

You can also split, de-seed, & grate them for use in zucchini bread recipes, frittata or other egg recipes, or simply sauteed with butter & seasonings.

cowgirljenn
May. 25, 2012, 10:32 AM
I shred the huge zucs for use in cakes, breads, muffins, etc. You can freeze the shreds, too, so you don't have to use them all now.

We eat a LOT of squash dishes. I just keep finding new ones so we don't get too overwhelmed..

WildBlue
May. 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
I try to eat summer squash when it's small (less than 12 inches, perferably smaller). Anything bigger goes to chickens or compost.

A4B, I use a basic carrot cake recipe, subbing in shredded squash and a bit less liquid, with excellent results. Shredded squash also freezes well enough you can gift everyone with zucchini bread for Christmas... <evil grin>

Woodsperson
May. 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
For the big ones zucchini basketball.

RacetrackReject
May. 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Is there some trick to blanching/freezing squash that doesn't leave them rubbery? Anyone have a really great bread or muffin recipe? I tried a brownie recipe last year from AllRecipes using zucchini, but it turned out more like chocolate squash.

Well now you have me stumped. I don't actually eat squash, I just grow/keep it for others that visit, but noone has ever commented on rubbery squash and I'm quite sure my mother would. Are you blanching it for 3 minutes at a boil?

JohnDeere
May. 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Mine is just comeing up from seeds. aDo you want to send some up here? lol I love fried squash. :yes:

Mom used to cube it & freeze for soup/stewes. I think she just blanced it but I dont remember for sure.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 25, 2012, 04:56 PM
I keep some horses dry lotted. Squash is my way of making sure they daily have live enzymes in their diet. :yes: Especially since I am not sprouting anything (barley for fodder) at this time. Mine love them.

I really only grow it for the horses, but do give away a lot to humans for brownie points/good karma. Remember I get free mowing done in trade for the stuff. Can't believe how much it costs n the store, & mine is all organic to boot.

Come fall the horses will all have a truck load of pumpkins that I ration out usually at least into January. Again along the live enzymes in daily diet theme.

The more squash I can grow the better! I need lots & lots of it!

ThisTooShallPass
May. 25, 2012, 04:57 PM
Chocolate zuchinni cake is so moist. :) Google up some recipes.

rmh_rider
May. 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
I have finally QUIT growing squash. I was SO overwhelmed, neighbors, co-workers, horses, dogs too. I couldn't see the garden for the squash, and gee if you leave it one day, you find HUGE giant squash hiding under the leaves.

I do like to slice vidalia onion, start to saute, once a bit wilted, then add sliced squash, sprinkle with salt, add a tad of water, cover and let cook. I like it anywhere from squishy to just cooked. Remove lid once it starts to get done. Add parm cheese and or cooked bacon, turkey bacon is good too. Add lots pepper. I think you could freeze this cooked. In the above use pretty much equal parts onion and squash. Lots of parm cheese, mmmm.

I like my squash little bitty young. it is so good fresh picked and raw when it is very small.

I also grow pumpkin for the horses too. None this year. I cut way way back on everything.

Now with okra, there is never too much okra. YUM. I hoard it.

mkevent
May. 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
I do what Bacardi1 does with the large zucchini-they are excellent!

For smaller zukes, I saute in a little oil with sliced onions and then melt cheese on top. I never get tired of that recipe.

Wayside
May. 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
I shred the huge zucs for use in cakes, breads, muffins, etc. You can freeze the shreds, too, so you don't have to use them all now.

That's what I do with the big ones, too. I shred them, and then freeze them in pre-measured portions so when I want to make bread, I can just pop one container out of the freezer, and I know I have exactly the right amount.

Aggie4Bar
May. 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
After the zucchini brownie fail, I was hesitant to try another chocolate concoction, but 290 reviews convinced me: AllRecipes.com: Chocolate Zucchini Cake III (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-cake-iii/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page).

Hubby was out of the house dropping the kids off with their mom yesterday evening, so it was a perfect opportunity. I don't think I've ever cleaned a kitchen so fast in my life. Hid all the evidence, took the trash out... He has no idea there's zucchini in the cake. And it's good! Very moist and chocolately. I did cut the oil back (1 1/2C seemed like a lot!) but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter.

ESG
May. 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'll take whatever you'd like to give away, and my neighbors will, too. Our gardens are late and neither include squash.

I didn't know you could feed squash to horses! Maybe yours would like a treat?

Also, PM me for my dad's famous squash casserole. I've been told over and over that it's the best anyone's ever had, and I have to agree.

1sock
May. 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,2346,154188-237203,00.html

Super easy zucchini casserole. I love squash and zucchini and my Mom does as well, but my bf won't touch it. However, he will eat this casserole! :)

msj
May. 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
I really only grow it for the horses

How do you feed it to the horses? Small, large, raw, cooked or anything in between?

I just planted 4 plants in blank places in the flower garden and hope they decide to grow. I know that between what I eat and give away there will still be tons and if the horses will eat them, I'd be thrilled to save on buying carrots and watermelon for them. :)

halo
May. 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
One of my favorite things to do with zucchini is to shred it, add an egg or two (depending on how much zuccs you have), add some flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Make patties, fry til brown, serve with parmesan cheese and sour cream. I can founder on the stuff.

ESG
May. 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
halo, thank you for posting that - I'd forgotten all about that recipe! My husband calls them "goy latkes". Only difference is that I add some bread crumbs if the zuc is a bit watery. I can founder on it, too! :yes:

marianne
May. 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
Whatever you can spare, give to your local charitable groups. Soup kitchens, food pantries, domestic abuse shelters etc. Check with church groups. I donate my extra things to a little Spanish speaking church for their members. My church has a commercial kitchen so there are a couple of canning sessions to help out members. My husband hunts to extra meat goes to the Gospel Rescue Mission. Check even with your school system for needy families and eve your public health department. There are a lot of hungry people out there, esp kids during the summer.