PDA

View Full Version : Chickens, turkeys and raccooon, oh my!

tle
May. 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
This year's "peepers" arrived early this morning. I had ordered them on Wednesday, indicating a June 6 or 8 hatch date was fine and if not "earlier is better". They called me 3 hours after submitting my order and asked if today was good! Ok... and this morning I got my call from the post office saying they were in. Ordered 9 broad breasted white turkeys, 15 bourbon red turkeys and 10 cornish hens. Figure the cornish are a short term commitment so I'd give them a try. Looking forward to having fresh chicken on July 4th! LOL Everyone is currently set up in a water trough in my mud room til I get the brooding house set up. Busy weekend so they may be in the trough for a few days. Lost 1 in transit and I think I may end up losing another shortly, but otherwise, they all seem healthy and raring to go!

that said, my raccoon problem has reappeared. Had a thought I might have one in the barn, but it was confirmed yesterday morning when I found the eggs I forgot to bring in broken and little coon feet prints all over the work bench. out came the trap last night but this morning, the trap was tripped and the bait (and egg) broken. But it was too close to the edge and the trap had broken it. Again, more little coon paw prints. I didn't set it up very well and have a new plan for tonight. I think coons are adorable and hate to have to "remove" them, but don't want them in my barn either! They're why the chicks are currently in the mudroom and not the barn. That could be an expensive disaster waiting to happen so mr coon needs to go!

maunder
May. 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Coons are nasty, nasty chicken killers. They are not quick or merciful about it. I had a coon find my hens last year and you don't want to hear a chicken scream. It's horrible.

I have much more respect for the foxes, who are quick, clean killers. My hens are now in an Alcatraz type paddock and run and I've not had the coon or fox problems, although they do come to check it out every day.

Have fun with your wee ones.:)

Epona142
May. 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
Raccoons discovered my chicken/duck pen and within TWO nights, absolutely decimated my flock of 30+ birds. Just plain DESTROYED them.

It broke my heart. We moved and I just now, several years later, decided to get some chickens again. 12 young chickens are now happily scratching around in the pasture. I have two older chickens who have lived out there for a long while safely, and this isn't a raccoon friendly property, so here's hoping they have long happy lives.

quarterhorse4me
May. 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
Absolutely devastating when they wipe your stuff out. I just lost 6 of my 12 biddies the other day. I have even hired a professional to come trap my coons last summer. That worked but they are back this summer. Dogs help but they are sneaky things!

nashfad
May. 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Can you run a hot wire around the outside of the coop?

tle
May. 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
caught the bugger last night. Disposed of him this morning. Have the trap set again tonight just to be sure he didn't have a buddy with him. :)