PDA

View Full Version : Do fox have a smell?

Wraper2
May. 25, 2012, 03:02 AM
I have been smelling what I took to be skunk around the barn lately. Smells just like the skunk smell I know from Texas. Have never seen a skunk here (NW Florida).

Yesterday I smelled it at the gate to one of the pastures..... and when I opened the gate to let the horses in, one of my mares chased off a fox that was about 100 ft from me. Could that be what I am smelling?

ldaziens
May. 25, 2012, 03:15 AM
Yes, foxes have a musky "skink lite" smell -- apparently it's their urine. Please be sure all of your animals & horses are vaccinated for rabies!

Benson
May. 25, 2012, 08:20 AM
Yes, they do. I smelled one the other morning, near an earth. Wondering if the vixen marks an area for the young kits to play or others to stay away from? Scent is such an interesting topic.

Nezzy
May. 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
yes red fox urine smells skunky.

Eastern Promises
May. 25, 2012, 03:21 PM
possums also have a musky, skunky kind of smell. Make sure theres nothing around to "attract" critters.....un-used overturned tubs/wheelbarrows in the weeds are great places for them to make a den, under pallets, woodpiles, etc. Also....til you know for SURE if the critter was just passing thru, watch when you grab a bale of hay out of your stack. Also, check behind feed cans, another good place to hide if you have several cans side by side against a wall!

HPFarmette
May. 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
Yes and it drives my dogs crazy.

Epona142
May. 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Absolutely. I've bottle raised some foxes back when we did exotic mammal rescue and had some "tame" adults. Boy they STINK! LOL.

Very musky, skunk like.

tangledweb
May. 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm in the opposite boat. I'm fortunate to have never smelled a skunk up close, but I know what they smell like as roadkill. The first time I smelled that I thought "Wow that's a strong smelling fox", so I'd guess you are right that it is fox you are smelling.

rmh_rider
May. 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
I think the possums smell kind of like cat poo.

Foxes, skunky/musky.

I use to leave my barn open at night for mr. fox. So I smelled that on a regular basis.

EPM makers, I have trapped 3 lately, and I can smell them where they live now. They just smell horribly in the trap. Oh they are so nasty. They bare their teeth at you mouth agape, and their teeth literally drip with saliva. ICK. All were shot.

I haven't seen our grey foxes, and I miss them so much. I wish they would come back.

Skunks will emit a skunk fart. Different than fox. I have trapped 4 of those.

Coons, smell like epm makers. Trapped 2 of those.