PDA

View Full Version : saddle care advice...

Manni01
May. 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
I need some advice.

4 months ago I brought my 2006 Devoucoux Makila from Germany to Florida. But now I go back to Germany for about 6 months and don´t want to take him back.
What should I do to prevent any mold?? I cleaned him with Passier saddle soap, let him dry and put some Passier Leather balsam on. When that was dry I polished it with a cloth.
Right now he looks really good.

Where should I store him. In the garage or in my airconditioned storage room??. Also should I put more Leatherbalsam on in order to protect him??
And should I put him in a saddle bag (he travelled from Germany in it..)??
I´m a little worried because of the climate in Florida.

Thank you very much for any input!!

Petstorejunkie
May. 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
keep in an airconditioned room. If you're really concerned, apply a light coat of lederbalsam, and don't worry about buffing... it'll sort of act like cosmoline.

ako
May. 24, 2012, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure about male saddles. :-) (Mine's a baby.)

I would cover with a saddle cover as long as it can breathe - not fully enclosed on the bottom. (If a zippered cover, I would leave it a tad open.)

I would put it on a stand or other similarly shaped item. If the stand isn't shaped a bit like a horse's back, then I would pad up the saddle stand with saddle pads so it doesn't stretch/squish the leather/panels abnormally.

Twisted River
May. 24, 2012, 10:06 PM
Humidity is bad for leather - put it in an air conditioned room.

alto
May. 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
Do a final coat with a leather product that has a similar statement to this:
Anti-fungal formula helps prevent the growth of mould and mildew.

If you email Passier, I'm certain they can confirm whether the Lederbalsam has anti-fungal agents.

Manni01
May. 26, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thank you very much for all your advice!! I wil put another layer of LeatherBalsam on the saddle and leave it resting on the saddle holder, covered with a blanket in my airconditioned storageroom...