PDA

View Full Version : Tony Slatter Saddle

Derby Lyn Farms
May. 24, 2012, 03:19 PM
I came across a Tony Slatter dressage saddle. I am not sure what it is worth though. The stitching is coming out around the pommel, and the panels on the underside need to be stitched up too. It's a 17" or 18", not sure but it does fit me. It is comfortable and I really like it. Just not sure what to pay. I was told to make a fair offer. It does have scratches on it, and the color is worn off the seat. There are no fittings with it. Here is the kind it is, but this is not the actual saddle: http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/saddles/Used14287.html

fairtheewell
May. 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
Well, the one in the ad is close to 800, and it is in good to excellent condition....offer 500 and see what happens...

alto
May. 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
If possible get a quote for the repairs so the current owner realizes how costly they can be, scratches can often be buffed out (or nearly invisible), leather color bleaching is less amenable.

If the saddle is a more popular seat size & tree size, it can be worth more than a less likely combination, even when the former is in poorer condition.

lovey1121
May. 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
I had one customized for my first horse. The seat was so hard-I never liked it and ultimately went to a Passier. I think I sold it for around 700 bucks back in the early 90's.

And it was BROWN.

Derby Lyn Farms
May. 24, 2012, 11:04 PM
Well, the one in the ad is close to 800, and it is in good to excellent condition....offer 500 and see what happens...

They are not even expecting $500 for it. But if you think $500 is fair with the repairs it needs then I have a better idea in my head what I can offer. I just didn't want to go to high on my part and pay more then what its worth in repairs.

From what I understand these are custom made saddles. The seat is hard and shiney. I guess if I don't like it, and I get it cheap enough, I can always sell it.

lovey1121
May. 25, 2012, 05:53 AM
Oh, yes, hard and shiny is spot on. Close contact.

TheHorseProblem
May. 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
I use this

http://www.my-craigs-finder.com/

to search craigslist nation-wide. If you search for Tony Slatter saddle, this comes up:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/2949967746.html

in great shape for $500, so I think that would be overly generous.

Derby Lyn Farms
May. 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the good sluething!

horsefaerie
May. 27, 2012, 01:06 AM
$500 is too much with the repairs that it needs.

I like these saddles and find they allow you to sit in a good position and I like being able to really feel the horse.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

lakotaluv
Aug. 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
I have three of these and i have found that the older ones are made from beautiful buttery soft leather that holds you right where you need to be, but the newer ones are of harder, lesser quality leather and are hard and slippery. I love the two older ones and will keep them always, but will probably sell the newer one. I don't know when they stopped making these saddles or why, but the website doesn't offer saddles anymore, just bridles and other tack. I wish I could fond a research site that explains the different models he made...