PDA

View Full Version : Broken manure spreader millcreek Help!!

nicholasrider
May. 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Have had my millcreek 37 for 5 years with numerous chain problems and parts replacements. Now the apron chain is gone and needs to be replaced for about $450 for the part. It is also terribly rusted out and has been repaired with that a lot. Soooo trying to decide whether to replace or repair. We have a 12 stall barn and need ground pull for a Polaris Ranger. Have looked online at the new millcreek and the ibs. Any words of wisdom??

Bluey
May. 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
I had a Millcreek 57 for several years and no problem with it at all.
A friend needed one in a hurry and borrowed it and loved it and bought it from me, as I cut down to a couple of horses at home and could do without.
She has been using it now for some years, also without any problems or repairs at all.

Last fall, I had more horses again, so needed another and, checking both, Millcreek and ABI, AbI was considerably cheaper with the free shipping and that is what I have now, same 57 size.
The ABI is heavier, so I can't so easily push it around as I could the Millcreek, but maybe it will last longer?

I can't tell much difference in how they work, other than ABI heavier and so probably less quick to rust thru and ABI was a good bit cheaper.

I would say, if you have all those problems and you need one working very badly, get a new one.

tangledweb
May. 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
If it makes a difference, you can get the same chain generic for a lot less

eg http://www.shop.farmchains.com/55-STEEL-DETACHABLE-CHAIN-10-COIL-T5500.htm

You could probably replace the apron chain for about $100 or maybe closer to $200 if you need to replace the slats as well.

Of course it depends how rusted the rest of it is whether it is worth replacing the chain at any cost.

Sonesta
May. 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Just wanted to say that we have had our big Millcreek manure spreader for over 12 years. Had to replace the chain and the gears, but it has been a GREAT spreader.

nicholasrider
May. 24, 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the answers. Does the ABS seem to shred the manure more than the Millcreek makings it better as fertilizer for the fields? Is it more difficult to use??

Bluey
May. 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Both seem to work about the same for us.

We get a good response from the grass where we spread the manure, not sure we need to spread it any other way?

I may say, the way we have the ABI set, it unloads quicker and doesn't swing the manure around as much, don't get it back on the gator.
With the Millcreek we did get, even with that tailgate, some manure in the box.

We didn't get a tailgate on the ABI, but we don't fill it that much or drive that far to spread.

The Millcreek was easier to move around by hand, not as heavy.
That may not be a concern on the 37 as it is on the 57.

carolprudm
May. 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
If you don't have a lot of wasted hay or bed on straw a Newer Spreader might work. I have 10 stalls. I hitch the spreader up to the golf cart and start cleaning, dumping the manure tubs into the spreader. When the spreader is full I leave the manure in the tubs. When I am finished with all the stalls I make one pass with the spreader, come back and dump the tubs into the spreader and go.

The large Newer Spreader will hold 5 or 6 tubs of manure