PDA

View Full Version : Trailering with a big lifted truck

Jemflowers
May. 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Hello, I'm trying to convince my man that the new truck that he bought couldn't pull a goose-neck trailer. He knows a lot about mechanics, but not much about horses. He bought a Ford 250 diesel 7.4, with a 10' lift and 37" tires. This sucker is huge, but was lifted properly with axel, gear, etc., modifications. He seems to think that if he converted it to a flatbed and/or lifted a goose-neck trailer it would work. I'm thinking that it's just too much of a lift, the horses would be riding uphill, and... lifting a horse trailer sounds very un-safe.
I'm thinking that I'll have to buy a bumper pull and pull it with a dropped hitch, and i'm even wondering how safe that will be?\
Any thoughts/opinions?
Thanks

Simkie
May. 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
I have always been under the impression that it was definitely a no due to the higher center of gravity.

A lifted gooseneck to match a lifted truck is a TERRIBLE idea. Horse in a regular trailer already make it unstable due to the live weight and how high it rides. Lift the trailer, and a stiff wind will knock it right over.

A bumper pull with a dropped hitch might be doable if that's all you have to work with.

I'd be curious to see if there would be a negative impact on the truck's suspension, though. Those parts on a lifted truck aren't exactly built with hauling a load in mind, right?

cowboymom
May. 23, 2012, 11:47 PM
Nope, he's all messed up. You could do it in a "haul her in or she dies" situation but not in every day life.

Stress on pretty much everything, angles are all off for truck, trailer and horse... horse doesn't want to ride an elevator to get to the tippy traveling floor of the trailer.

His testosterone was doing the thinking.

Looking smart and competent while you're driving is just as impressive. :yes:

mvp
May. 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
I want to see him try (and fail) to do a lifted gooseneck.

Seriously. That's so "guy."

hollynanne
May. 24, 2012, 02:50 AM
I'm so glad it's not just my house! Lol!

We have a 2003 F-250 Quadcab Lariat 7.3L full-sized bed with 35" tires and an 8" body lift... Seriously, I'm 6'0" and I need the running boards to get in! (I can't imagine the monstrosity yours has!)

We ended up getting a 4 horse BP, using an 8" drop, weight distribution and sway control (for our long haul from WA to FL this winter). It's not a bad setup, but I'm pissed that I don't have my 3H slant with a weekender like I've wanted FOREVER! :mad:

People who don't have husbands like ours have said, "Why don't you just take the lift off or put on a 2" lift with a leveling kit...?" Haha, yeah... no... I'm pretty sure he now loves his truck more than me! :winkgrin:

He does keep me in horses quite well (I'm a SAHM), so I guess I'll forgive him.
(it is a really cool truck!)

So, to answer your question, no... that is a TERRIBLE idea! Just get a souped up BP and make him buy you a new saddle to make you feel better that you don't have the GN you wanted! ;)

I had a trainer tell me that I could just "flip" the axles to lift the trailer. 6-8" NO FREAKIN WAY! Geebus!

p.s. Also think about at least the sway-control system. When your truck is lifted the center of gravity is higher (duh, haha) and can cause your truck to fishtail a little. Better safe than sorry, especially for the long hauls.

Good luck! I think we need a support group!
:)

airhorse
May. 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Check the load ratings on those big tires...

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
May. 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Tell those guys to get a grip! They're putting you & your horse's safety behind their wants. Come on now, just how many of these people actually use their lifted trucks for swamp running which is what they're designed for?
I live in redneck land so I should know.

Hinderella
May. 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for this thread...I'm in the process of looking at trailers, and wanted a gooseneck...but our truck is pretty high off the ground. It's stock, no after market lifters, but you definitely need the running boards to climb in. Just one more thing to think about...sigh.

Jemflowers
May. 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the replies! Good info, and glad to know that I'm not alone! Yea he pretty much loves the truck so lowing it isn't an option, and he does support my horsey obsession so I can't complain.

jawa
May. 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hinderella,

When you go looking at trailers in person, drive the truck with you and see how well the two fit together. Also go look at a friends set up that is ideal for truck and trailer clearance for the bed rails, etc. This will give you a good visual image of whether it will work for you or not.

hollynanne
May. 26, 2012, 02:42 AM
Tell those guys to get a grip! They're putting you & your horse's safety behind their wants. Come on now, just how many of these people actually use their lifted trucks for swamp running which is what they're designed for?
I live in redneck land so I should know.
The tire ruts in my pasture say that he's been known to take it "out and about," shall we say...

As much as I crab about the lack of a 3H GN in my driveway, my husband is a Naval Pilot, currently in the middle east until Christmas, and btw landing aircraft in a sandstorm is like getting a three legged horse to do two-tempis (I'm just glad he's not being shot at...today). He also is and was a daddy to two small humans (3 and 5) and also keeps his wife and her obscenely expensive addiction around, did I mention I don't work... Yeah, he pretty much kicks ass. I'll let him drive whatever the heck he wants.

Except a boat... we're never getting a boat! (again) :eek:

TheJenners
May. 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
I had the old version of Hollyn's truck, only with a 3'' lift. I also had a GN prior to this truck. With the lifted on, we adjusted the uh...brain fart, sorry, the hitch part :lol:, all the way up to make it as short as possible, the trailer still had a upwards cant from back to front. Not much, maybe two degrees? Noticeable to the eye, didn't bother the horses. Got rid of the trailer, got a BP and a drop hitch. Safety is cooler than being cool.

A 10'' lift and mudder tires that size? That's ridiculous, and I'm sorry, I don't see how that can possibly be safe. Not even with Hollyn's set up.

DH and I both have "boring" trucks, because when we purchased, we purchased (separately, before dating) trucks with towing in mind. Safety, tow capacity for our needs at the time, those sort of things. Looks? Fun? No.

kathy s.
May. 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
I am a big fan of lifted 4wd trucks, but not to tow with. As others have mentioned, the center of gravity is compromised not to mention the wear and tear on the drive train. After awhile, the U joint on the axle will wear out possibly leaving you stranded somewhere.

Anyway, this would be a great time to buy a new (er) F250 and matching trailer to haul with. Just emphasize how much safer your horses will be and of course, include your concerns about how pulling a trailer can potentially tear up His truck and you sure wouldn't want that to happen. :-)

amyginger
May. 27, 2012, 03:13 AM
My husband tried to talk me into buying a truck with a lift, although not even close to the size you describe. Thankfully, I had it inspected by independent vehicle inspector at the used car lot and was able to ask the inspector questions about towing safety, with my husband present. Having a male, independent, knowledgeable third party explain that the lift made the truck more apt to flip and was not a safe towing vehicle solved the dispute.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
May. 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hollyanne, I have to agree. When it comes to someone out there defending our freedoms, putting their life on the line daily, I have to concede. He CAN drive whatever he wants to.

hollynanne
May. 27, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hollyanne, I have to agree. When it comes to someone out there defending our freedoms, putting their life on the line daily, I have to concede. He CAN drive whatever he wants to.
Thanks. ;)

I do have to say that we have a body lift, which is apparently different than a "regular" lift, so it's easier on the suspension, and we do have a weight distribution system and sway control. If it's for just hauling, then by all means, yes, no lift and such. If you are going to do bigger tires and lift, etc, then make sure you have your bases covered. We also have a 4 (and change- a pony maybe?) horse bp that is all steel and is 3400# empty. It's probably not going much of anywhere. With our two tbs in it (and all of our tack), it's actually really easy to haul. However, I've never hauled it (or anything else) up a mountain in a snowstorm. I leave that to the expert. :D

Jenners doesn't have a lift on her truck because she's so small. I'm going to have to carry a mounting block to get her in my truck next time! That, or a leg-up... LOL!

TheJenners
May. 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
Jenners doesn't have a lift on her truck because she's so small. I'm going to have to carry a mounting block to get her in my truck next time! That, or a leg-up... LOL!
Hey, it's not my fault you drank too much milk as a kid! Though admittedly, I LOL'ed at the leg-up comment, got a funny look.

ESG
May. 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
As much as I crab about the lack of a 3H GN in my driveway, my husband is a Naval Pilot, currently in the middle east until Christmas, and btw landing aircraft in a sandstorm is like getting a three legged horse to do two-tempis (I'm just glad he's not being shot at...today). He also is and was a daddy to two small humans (3 and 5) and also keeps his wife and her obscenely expensive addiction around, did I mention I don't work... Yeah, he pretty much kicks ass. I'll let him drive whatever the heck he wants.

Holly, thank you to you and your husband for your service to this country. I was a military wife for six years, and know just how much you contribute to his being able to serve, hence the kudos for both of you. Happy Memorial Day!

BasqueMom
May. 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
Another thank you from a former military wife to both your husband and you!

kookicat
May. 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
I want to see photos of these monster trucks. I dare someone to export one to the UK. Now that would be fun to see over here. :)

Jemflowers
May. 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
I want to see photos of these monster trucks. I dare someone to export one to the UK. Now that would be fun to see over here. :)

How do I post pictures on this forum? lol