PDA

View Full Version : Going to check out Fautras (Euro) trailer this weekend!

Lusoluv
May. 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
UPDATE: I got the full overview of the St. George trailer (made at the Fautras factory, but their economy version of the Provan Club) and it exceeded my expectations. It is so well-thought out re: the hitch and tongue, safety, ventilation, height (7.5 ft). I towed it empty on the hilly roads then dealer loaded her very stout mare (15.3hh, 1200lbs+) to compare the loaded feel. Really couldn't feel it in either case and our 6-cyl Hyundai Sante Fe hardly revved to 2500 rpms except when going up 1 substantial hill with the mare. When trailer was empty, we were going 50mph and there was no vehicle in sight, dealer said "brake like a deer just jumped on the road". I hit the brake hard, but just short of laying down tracks, and our SUV and trailer slowed almost to a stop in a straight line. No bucking, shuddering, jack-knifing, etc. You'd never want to have to brake as hard as I did, and I was a bit nervous doing it, but I don't know other trailer reps who'd have you try that! The trailer can turn as sharp and smooth as your vehicle. No squelching tires. Easy to back up and turn...very responsive. I'll be going back to pick it up and bring home!

Like many, it's always been a dream of mine to own a trailer to be more mobile and attend clinics, shows or hit the trails. Hiring haulers for weekend trips within a couple hours of my boarding barn are getting crazy ($400-$600 per trip). But the thought of spending $$$ for even a used truck and basic trailer was intimidating as we live in an urban area and already own cars. Well, DH got a mid-size SUV with tow package 2 years ago and I've been obsessing on Euro trailer research ever since, but not taking the plunge...until this weekend's clinic cost me exactly double in hauling costs than the international clinician! Park trails are 10 miles away and I never go after my trailer buddy moved away. We took turns driving so I'm very comfortable with that aspect. I figured over just the last 3 years I've spent about $3k on hauling fees and for the basic Fautras model, it'd be 25% paid for. With the high resale value of the Euro trailers, I figure even if I don't go out as much as I think, it's a safe purchase since depreciation seems minimal. I am very budget-conscious and you can hardly find a used Brenderup listed on the big trailer sale websites, but when you do they are 7-9 years old and just a couple thousand less than a new one.

Since Brenderup is no longer distributing trailers in the US I'm nervous to pursue a used one for parts issues. I've researched the Fautras and Boeckmann. Fautras are less expensive, have good reviews and I only need a safe box to get me from A to B, no dressing room, graphics, or bells and whistles. My longest trip has been 3 hours in the relatively flat midwest. While the Fautras is new to the US, it's been on the road in Europe for about 20 years.

Would love to hear your personal stories with this trailer. Also, if you want to poke holes in my trailer-buying logic, go ahead. I want to make sure I've heard all the pros and cons to this decision. I go to test haul one this weekend. Dealer's farm is nearby and they'll put in their draft-cross and let me test haul her!

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
Please update after you look at it!

Lusoluv
May. 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
Will do!

enjoytheride
May. 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
I saw them at Equine Affaire and they were a really really smart design. Surge breaks, and a fiberglass/aluminum frame. The floor is designed so it's low entry, easy to get in and out of, and the horses can use the slope to brace. I liked the swinging out tack storage, and the full size doors in front.

It was much bigger inside then you'd think. The one I saw had the automatic butt bars which was a cool idea.

Lusoluv
May. 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
The model I get won't have the auto butt-bars. I'm looking at the very basic model as these trailers are more $$ than the American ones. But I've always taught my horses to self load so I don't have to lead them in. I just point their nose into the trailer, they walk on and I secure the butt bar behind them, then go around to the front and clip on the halter tie. I'm glad that everyone who's seen one in person likes what they saw! Can't wait to go test it out myself :)

Snowflake
May. 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
I have a brenderup that I love and I would certainly look at the other euro trailers if I were in the market for a new one. I wouldn't necessarily shy away from the brenderups if you can find a deal on a used one. The dealers of the euro trailers I've spoken to have been really good about finding parts and honestly, most things are pretty standard trailer bits or can be fabricated pretty easily.

Gena
May. 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
I think you'll be thrilled with the St. George or the Fautras Trailers.

I became a dealer last year because the build quality and versatility is unmatched by any other trailer available in the USA right now.

Lucky You! Give my friend Pam a hug!

Gena Ram
European Equestrian Trailers
Apex, NC

JeanM
May. 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
I've been a very happy B-up owner ... until B-up pulled up stakes here in the US and left its loyal customers high and dry! :mad:

I saw the Fautras trailers at last fall's Equine Affaire and was very impressed.

Definitely, if I were in the market for a new European trailer, I'd be seriously looking at those!

Jim_in_PA
May. 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
I test-towed the Fautras Provann Premium last December and was very impressed with it in almost every way...great engineering, materials and thoughtful details. Towed like a dream every way you describe in your OP. My only concern is with the stall size. It's really not intended for horses larger than 16h with a 72.5" distance between the bars and 29" stall width. Both of my horses are larger than that, so if I ever get, um...She Who Must Be Obeyed...convinced that buying a trailer is a good idea, I'll likely opt for the Böckmann Portax AK which offers a bit more room for the furry creatures that would need to ride in it. My intended use is for local "get off the farm" opportunities and I have zero interest in buying a big tow vehicle in addition to a trailer...my Highlander serves my needs very well and can handle a Euro trailer just fine.

mpg
Feb. 19, 2013, 12:32 PM
Just bought an Fautras oblic straight load demo. So far I love it!

reay6790
Feb. 19, 2013, 12:50 PM
A friend of mine has a fautras and LOVES it :)

DancingFoalFarms
Feb. 19, 2013, 01:35 PM
I was wondering about stall size too. Mine are all over 17hh, and big bodied, so interior size is a priority.

suz
Feb. 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
do they make rigs with nice living quarters?

judybigredpony
Feb. 20, 2013, 08:57 AM
Before you embark on this make sure you know the gear ratio of the Rear on your tow vehicle and compltely understand the tow weights the truck engine and rear gears are capable of...Dead flat is one thing but up hills and steep inclines is another, most tow weights are a misnomer and set for dead flat not a live moving beast going up a hill.
Secondly having just had a horrific experiance on a turnpike with a bizzerk horse..how is all the fiberglass going to hold up if a horse goes bat-shit crazy and is determined to exit the vehicle...mine a traditional aluminum over steel with a double layers and insulation held up spectacularly but have to wonder how the lighter flimsier to lower tow weight actually hold up in an accident.
Food for thought

4cornersfarm
Feb. 20, 2013, 10:32 AM
I've been a very happy B-up owner ... until B-up pulled up stakes here in the US and left its loyal customers high and dry! :mad:

I saw the Fautras trailers at last fall's Equine Affaire and was very impressed.

Definitely, if I were in the market for a new European trailer, I'd be seriously looking at those!

I own a Rice trailer from 1984, slowly falling apart, and love the look of the Fautras trailers, but have found the closest dealer - in Rhode Island - to be basically non-responsive and uninterested in my business. I wanted to look at the 3 horse model, he said he didn't have one. I suggested maybe I could come down (2-3 hour drive) and look at what he does have and maybe he could order me a 3 horse and he didn't even respond. :disillusionment:

Hippolyta
Feb. 20, 2013, 05:14 PM
want....

Jim_in_PA
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:12 AM
I own a Rice trailer from 1984, slowly falling apart, and love the look of the Fautras trailers, but have found the closest dealer - in Rhode Island - to be basically non-responsive and uninterested in my business. I wanted to look at the 3 horse model, he said he didn't have one. I suggested maybe I could come down (2-3 hour drive) and look at what he does have and maybe he could order me a 3 horse and he didn't even respond. :disillusionment:

Give Traveled Lane in MD a call. Farther away, but they are nice folks and no pressure, too. Fautras factory is in CT, too...there may be a dealer in that area.

4cornersfarm
Feb. 21, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm going to be at the PA Horse World Expo this weekend, hoping to look at trailers there, although I've just been told my job is being eliminated at the end of the school year, so maybe not. Sigh. :( I wonder how long I can keep the Rice going.