PDA

View Full Version : "DOUBLE JEOPARDY!" - Old Horse Show Trivia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:13 AM
For all of you walking encyclopedias of useless horse show trivia, this thread will give you a chance to show off your knowledge. Please make sure your answer is in the form of a question. Successful respondents with the correct answer(s) feel free to pose new questions.

1) Hugely successful bay gelding out of Cismont Manor with numerous national titles and wins indoors in the regular working division in the '70's - owner, from the midwest, was also successful in the a/o's and attended Sweet Briar College.

2) Ultra cute palamino with many wins in the '70's in the a/o's at the best A shows on the east coast, including Devon. Shown by a now R judge who still competes in the adults and a/o's.

[This message was edited by Alex Trebek on Sep. 05, 2001 at 08:21 AM.]

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:13 AM
For all of you walking encyclopedias of useless horse show trivia, this thread will give you a chance to show off your knowledge. Please make sure your answer is in the form of a question. Successful respondents with the correct answer(s) feel free to pose new questions.

1) Hugely successful bay gelding out of Cismont Manor with numerous national titles and wins indoors in the regular working division in the '70's - owner, from the midwest, was also successful in the a/o's and attended Sweet Briar College.

2) Ultra cute palamino with many wins in the '70's in the a/o's at the best A shows on the east coast, including Devon. Shown by a now R judge who still competes in the adults and a/o's.

[This message was edited by Alex Trebek on Sep. 05, 2001 at 08:21 AM.]

schmoe
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:25 AM
but one hugely successful bay gelding from Cismont Manor that went on to the A/O's was RUXTON, but I don't think that Ellen ever attended Sweet Briar and it would have been the late seventies, early eighties. Sorry that I did not phrase that in a question Alex. Get over it.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:38 AM
Don't get testy Schmoe, you'll still get partial credit despite the improper phrasing! LOL Yes, you are correct - Ruxton. Then owner was Eve Baskowitz who did attend Sweet Briar.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:41 AM
3) Very successful grey gelding in the '70's in the regular working division, owned by parents of woman who also showed War Dress and is now married to one of the nicer horse show managers in the south.

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:12 AM
(3) Who was San Felipe?

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:15 AM
And who said she was just a successful adult jumper rider destined to overtake Moesha in that last minute points drive! Correct, MargaretF! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:22 AM
4) Winning bay large junior in the '70's on the east coast in zone 3 and at indoors, ridden by one of the few male junior riders who recently made a comeback in the jumpers and was on the cover of Practical Horseman.

5) To die for small palamino pony out of Pennsylvania, winner in the AHSA pony finals in the '70's; shown by very successful catch rider now a pro in NC. Bonus points if you can name BOTH of the two small ponies out of that barn.

VTrider
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:26 AM
for people born in the last two decades?

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:28 AM
I think this one is tough -- the name of the child who originally owned the pony "Even Gamble."

Hint: she was from Maryland.

Double points -- what was the name of the girl's other pony?

Hint: it was a large.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:33 AM
Who is Janice Bledsoe - that WAS a hard one! LOL Drawing a blank on the large...hmmm...Easy Money maybe?

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:35 AM
And for VTrider: winning pony for Sheila Motley, Liza Towell and Paige Johnson.

VTrider
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:42 AM
Alison Firestone, Shelia Motley and Lizzie Taylor - IC Blue Shadow.

I can't think of a pony that Liza, Paige and Shelia all had.

SHelia had Glenmore Sally, IC Blue Shadow, Foxlair's Fascination, Rain Goose and rode TRendsetter for the Stoppers...she also rode a few for Ashmont along the way....

Paige Johnson, Cody Baird and Lisa Marie Eisinger all had Himself the Elf...not sure is Liza had him or not.

Parminch
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:49 AM
#4 Arc De Triumph and Scott?

Anne
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:54 AM
Sheila, Page, and Liza: Who is For Kids Sake???

VTrider
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:58 AM
I don't think Shelia had that pony. Am I wrong?

equitationlane
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:22 AM
What was the name of Eve Baskowitz's sister? Hint /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It was a man's name with tow s's on the end.

And where in the world is Eve BAskowitz?

Van Teal
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:28 AM
Owned by Sandra Brown as answer to the second question at the start.

showjump
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:33 AM
Who is Sandra Brown (Caldwell back then) The horse Lemon Springs I think,

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:41 AM
(4) Fred Bauer, but I don't know the horse's name! I'm thinking Dillon, but I think that was Michael Sasso's horse...

Remi and me
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:44 AM
Showjump beat me to #2 - I'm pretty sure the horse was Lemon Springs but I can't remember the rider - broke the horsey color barrier in hunters -very exciting at the time.

Remi and me
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:45 AM
Showjump beat me to #2 - I'm pretty sure the horse was Lemon Springs but I can't remember the rider - broke the horsey color barrier in hunters -very exciting at the time. So -"who was Lemon Springs?"

Donna B
Sep. 5, 2001, 09:46 AM
5) To die for small palamino pony out of Pennsylvania, winner in the AHSA pony finals in the '70's; shown by very successful catch rider now a pro in NC. Bonus points if you can name BOTH of the two small ponies out of that barn.

I think I have this wrong but... was the rider Maryann Stiert and the ponies Liseter Gold Coin & Liseter (sp?) Goldilocks. She won everything in the 70's with those ponies. The yellow pony I remember most from that time was Rapunzel. The other neat yellow horse was Sky High. Anyone remember them?

equitationlane
Sep. 5, 2001, 09:49 AM
Who was the big brown horse with rather a "plain" head that was a regular hunter champion, junior hunter champion and won the Medal finals.

And.....what ever happened to his pretty blond, smart (Stanford grad) owner?

Miniwelsh
Sep. 5, 2001, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Trebek:
And for VTrider: winning pony for Sheila Motley, Liza Towell and Paige Johnson.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this Magical Cloud?

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

Remi and me
Sep. 5, 2001, 10:11 AM
Stupid, stupid me! Posted three replies about the same without even trying! Guess I'd better get back to work. sorry! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Miniwelsh
Sep. 5, 2001, 10:38 AM
care to tell us if anyone is right yet...

schmoe
Sep. 5, 2001, 10:50 AM
was Mia Tanya Stula, who also had an awesome small palomino pony at the time named Farnley Marengo. After her, Even Gamble went to that little girl in Maryland who rode with the Solters whose sister rode the large pony Smart Cookie.

showjump
Sep. 5, 2001, 10:55 AM
In the late 70's Karen Lebo rode Even Gamble

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:02 AM
Who was Advanced Ticket and Brooke Hodgson?

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:05 AM
I know the people who said Lemon Springs and Sandra Caldwell (Johnson) are correct on #2.

Since, had I been the first to answer that question, I would have been right, /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif I will pose a question:

This question is numbered LH1 (since I have totally lost the sequence of numbering)

Very nice lady (name her) from the midwest who had two A/A horses (name them) that also won in the open working hunters at MSG. Bonus points for naming her trainer.

ccoronios
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:11 AM
Who was Tijuana Brass (J Arthur Reynolds)? Only yellow horse I can think of from back then - loved him!

showjump
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:16 AM
Lord Helpus: Was is Mrs Sylvester Johnson, Super Flash, Fun And Games Kenny Wheeler Trainer

VTrider
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:23 AM
Does she live in VA? I have never heard of her (granted, she was before my time)...this is a cool thread.

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:24 AM
Alex Trebek correctly answered the first part of the question I posed. Alas, no one has answered the second part!

Anyone remember the name of the large pony that Marianne Steirt rode in the early 70s. Hint: it was an odd name and it won at Washington.

Lord Helpus: Is the rider Maggie Moss?

Twister
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:34 AM
Charlie Weaver was the rider of Superflash and Fun and Games when they did the working. Mrs. Johnson was the owner. Name the show held at her farm.

Kahuna
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:37 AM
Trader's Point Hunt Charity Horse Show!

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:50 AM
Sorry - away from the computer temporarily:

2) yes, Lemon Springs, one of my favorites, with Sandra Caldwell (Brown)

4) Sir Lancelot, with Scott Keller

5) yes, Liseter Gold Coin and Goldilocks w/Maryann Steiert

LH1 - not sure who, but NOT Mrs. Johnson - didn't have the a/a's in those days, unless you really meant the a/o's?! LOL

Gifty
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:29 PM
I'm stumped!!

But I will pose of question:

the first trainer to have Ruxton.

I may not always win, but I will always try to win.

schmoe
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:35 PM
I do not recall Mrs. Johnson showing in the A/A until much later. She used to show both Superflash and the conformation horse Early Light in A/O's.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:38 PM
Alex and ShowJump are BOTH right -- I was thinking of Mrs Johnson and Super Flash and Fun and Games. Forgot they didn't have the A/A 's back then. Just goes to show you that, if Mrs Johnson could do the A/O's then we are wusses now about jumping 3'1"... Mrs. Johnson was the ultimate A/A rider. But she went in and rode around over those 3'6" jumps like a champ -- and occasionally got some nice ribbons.

LH2 --- Name atleast 3 of the original fancy ponies that took over the pony division in the early '60's and changed the pony world forever (both small and large). Extra credit for naming owners and riders.

LH3 Name two of Marvin Van Rappaport's horses and his farm name. Extra credit for knowing Marvin's business that enabled him to own these wonderful horses.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:45 PM
Yikes Lord Helpus, I'm afraid the '60's will even outdate me, but I'll guess: Tidbit, Wenol Bechan? Think that was much later....hmmm.

Marvin V.R.: Spindletop Showdown is one. The other's a Spindletop too, as I recall, but can't remember the name.

Miniwelsh
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:45 PM
So what was the answer to the questions about Paige Johnson, et al...

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:48 PM
I intended I.C.Blue Shadow, but VTRider insists Paige never rode that one. I think she's wrong, but will go w/the majority opinion! LOL

Miniwelsh
Sep. 5, 2001, 12:53 PM
Is it true that there is a welsh pony names I believe Hillcrest Better than Blue who was named for IC Blue Shadow in a way?

LaurieB
Sep. 5, 2001, 01:14 PM
You and I come from the same era!

Marvin's horses included Spindletop Showdown, Spindletop Please Note and Spindletop Midtown. His nightclub, Spindletop, in NYC financed the horses.

Fancy ponies in the sixties:
Smalls: Midget, Chantilly, Driftwood, Cockscrow Flair, Crepe Suzette, Wizard of Oz, Highfields Town and Country

Larges: Pride 'n Joy, Prim 'n Proper, Neat n' Tidy, Rebel, Flying Mouse, Hot Shot Kid, Keswick, Thorwell

I could go on and on. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AHC
Sep. 5, 2001, 01:17 PM
LH3 -- Spindletop Showdown.... It was Spindletop Farm. Can't think of names of other horses although I know they are in my memory bank somewhere right next to the information about what business he was in.....

I rode a jumper out on Long Island a few times in the mid-70s who was called Klondike Kat that I was told Marvin Rappaport had owned, but I never did trust the person who told me that. He was a big chestnut, TB I assume, and I jumped my only 4' course on him.

LaurieB
Sep. 5, 2001, 01:24 PM
You wanted owners and riders too? Yikes, this could take a while.

Midget: Nancy Baroody, Syndy Paul
Driftwood: Gail Hulick, Syndy Paul
Chantilly: Waverly Farm, Syndy Paul
Cockscrow Flair: Lucie McKinney
Crepe Suzette: Syndy Paul
Wizard of Oz: owned by the Burrs, ridden by Puddy Jones
Highfields Town and Country: Barbara Ulrichsen, Debbie Wolfe

Pride 'n Joy: Laurie Snyder, Nancy Baroody
Prim n' Proper: Debbie Cahn
Neat n' Tidy: James Hulick
Rebel: Judy Korn
Flying Mouse: Jane Leasure
Hot Shot Kid: Terry Rudd, Susie Rudd
Keswick: Peter Wetherill
Thorwell: Karen Nolte

Do I get the bonus now? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 01:25 PM
Here's a tough one and will show who the REAL trivia fans are: Two bays, one a TOP a/o mare in the 70's, winning many times at Indoors and probably more championships than any a/o horse before or since; the other, with a related name, out of the first horse, also champion many times in the regulars in the '90's. Both trained by the same trainer.

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 01:56 PM
Oh dear, I am REALLY guessing here, but is the first one Kim's Song, the wonderful horse owned by Bruce Duchossios?

No clue about the second....

schmoe
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:07 PM
was named in reference to I.C. Blue Shadow. Both ponies were started at Road's End in the later 80's. Can't recall who rode I.C. first, before she went to Alison, but Kim Vernell rode Better Than Blue first and then he went to Goodmans and I am not sure at what point he "became" a medium.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
Oh dear, I am REALLY guessing here, but is the first one Kim's Song, the wonderful horse owned by Bruce Duchossios?

No clue about the second....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope.......and wasn't Kim's Song a chestnut?

Major clue: first horse owned by same person who was also winning with Perfect Stranger.

showjump
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:18 PM
Jane Womble (Gaston now) I can't remember the horse's name.

VTrider
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schmoe: I am not sure at what point he "became" a medium.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the late eighties (88/89) - Pretty cool to win the Nat'l Small and Nat'l Med Pony Hunter Championships on the same pony LOLOL!

Dementia 13
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:27 PM
All right, well obviously I don't mind making a complete fool of myself so I am going to guess again.

Sign the Card
The Winning Card

Trained by Walter Lee (Belcourt Farm dedicated to quality)

Okay, just slap me down now....

equitationlane
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:28 PM
LH2. Midget and Nancy Broody. Do I get extra points for knowing her brothers name was David?
Smokey Joe and any or all of the Boyce�s.
Serendipity and Margaret Houseman
Penny Loeb and all of her ponies

LH3 Spindletop Showdown and Spindletop Count Fleet, later bought by Nancy Candib. (Pretty Smart, huh?) And his dining establishment was the Spindletop. Did ja know that his name wasn�t van Rapport, but Marvin Rapport and van was his middle name?

equitationlane
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:30 PM
Right on, but that was an easy one.

Here's a hard one. What famous trainer in CT had a phone # of Davis 2-1590. If you get this one I know you were a student of his

showjump
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:32 PM
Margaret, Thats the horse I couldn't think of. I think you are right. Hopefully Alex will come back and let us know. Lord Helpus probably knows the answer too.

Miniwelsh
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:44 PM
I thought I had heard that and always thought it was a cute name. I would imagine Vida Blue comes into those lines somewhere?

Coreene
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:47 PM
But on behalf of anyone who every trained with Bob McDonald I am assuming that Fun and Games is not the same one who was in California with Kim Ostman.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:47 PM
Laurie B you are amazing, and, may I say, you have FAR too much time on your hands to think of all those ponies and owners -- I had come up with 3 smalls and 3 larges [NB to you youngie's -- there were no mediums back then] just so I could answer my own question.

-- And Rexford -- How old are you? -- I thought you were just a tadpole way back when. How do you know this stuff????

On the MVR stuff -- I had heard that his name was really Marvin Rappaport, but he added the Van to make it less Jewish sounding (yes, folks, back in the "early days" horses were a very WASPish thing and non-WASP's were looked down upon...) -- As to Spindletop Count Fleet -- I think you mean Spindletop Fleet Sailor (Count Fleet was a Triple Crown winner, which is why you thought of the name). I rode with VHV in the '60's with Nancy Candib and was there the day Fleet Sailor arrived at Cedar Lodge -- I will always remember him as one of the most beautiful horses I have ever seen in my life. He took my breath away. My jr. horse was a good guy, but he was... just a horse... I remember being SO JEALOUS of Fleet Sailor that I tried to find just one thing that Willy (my boy) had that was better that FS -- I finally decided that FS's forelock was very wispy and that Willie had a nicer forelock LOL)

But how do you know all this about Nany Candib? She was never a big name in the riding world- I think she quit after her jr years and never won a finals or anything... In all honesty, I remember the horse more than I remember her (except that she plucked her eyebrows to a fine line when that was just starting to be the "in thing"...)

LH4 OK you smarties about the '60's..... Name another Spindletop horse that VHV purchased for a client -- give names before and after purchase and name of client.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 02:57 PM
Re: Question about the mare and her daughter -- it HAS to be Sign the Card with Jane Womble (trained by Jimmy Lee) -- So MargaretF must be right. But something about the daughter's name sounds a little off --- Didn't Sign the Card have Turn The Card?

GinnyRice
Sep. 5, 2001, 03:27 PM
He owned a restaurant in nyc - can'r remeber the name, but that was also the name of his farm

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 5, 2001, 03:35 PM
May have already been answered but...

Among others: Please Note, Showdown, Sunshine, all when owned by Marvin had the prefix Spindletop.

Spindletop was his restaurant.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 5, 2001, 03:45 PM
Sorry, the phone number is unfamiliar to me.

Although I did ride in the NE back then. Our colors were green with white trim. Name the farm and trainer.

brilyntrip
Sep. 5, 2001, 04:04 PM
were great she also had another yella horse a mare for triple points what is the mares name?

brilyntrip
Sep. 5, 2001, 04:10 PM
was the name of Marvin Van Rappaport s farm only horse i can remember is Spindle top Showdown wh showed in amateurs and conformation

Leesa
Sep. 5, 2001, 04:31 PM
Can anyone name the pony from that era that was champion at Washington, Harrisburg, and New York -riden by a well-known judge today. The pony was a 4 yr. old I believe.

LaurieB
Sep. 5, 2001, 04:31 PM
Lord Helpus, that was my division back then. Most of those kids rode at my barn--as did Marvin Van Rapaport--and the rest were friends of mine. Sad to say (aging myself now) that I remember them more vividly than I do most of the people I showed against this past weekend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 05:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
Sad to say that I remember them more vividly than I do most of the people I showed against this past weekend. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This past weekend? Lets see now, Did I show this past weekend? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Lord Helpus
Sep. 5, 2001, 05:19 PM
LH6 (I think...)

One more that I can answer myself /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif so I know if people get it right or wrong:

Name 3 horses (and their riders) who did the equitation finals and then went on to become successful grand prix jumpers with those riders.

Coreene
Sep. 5, 2001, 05:27 PM
Um ... maybe I can get a partial answer right.

Could it be Sandsablaze? Dunno re the other two.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 5, 2001, 05:54 PM
How about Rome Dome and Kip Rosenthal?

I think Brooke H and Ticket also did jumpers.

brilyntrip
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:19 PM
Name the grey conf mare that was shown by Rodney Jenkins and in amateurs by her sunglass wearing mom?
Also name the regular working hunters he showed in the following period 1973-75

equitationlane
Sep. 5, 2001, 06:31 PM
Just a guess, but would that be Jessica Tuchman's Dawn Treader. I think we must have been stable mates, but I was the kid from the wrong side of the tracks.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:24 PM
MargaretF, you are of course right re the Cards, but I made it too easy w/the Perfect Stranger clue! LOL
brilyntrip, far too easy: Debbie Willson and Market Rise? LOL
And the answer to your earlier question: Pnut Painter?

brilyntrip
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:31 PM
I didn't think anyone would remember !!! so how about his group of working horses ?? One was chestnut one was grey ??

Alex Trebek
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brilyntrip:
I didn't think anyone would remember !!! so how about his group of working horses ?? One was chestnut one was grey ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well we already did San Felipe (above) - Quiet Please was the chestnut, right?

And how about the name of your former college mate's (LOL) bay horse in the Maclay win? LOL

That's too easy, you're bound to know that - here's a harder one (which Emmett will know):

The name of the bay A/O horse successful
w/Rodney and ridden by what then amateur who is now a pro recently movedto Pa.? Name horse and rider.

brilyntrip
Sep. 5, 2001, 07:46 PM
San Felipe was don ebut Quiet PLease isnt who I ma thinking about .This chestnut was owned by same owner as IDLE DICE

schmoe
Sep. 5, 2001, 08:56 PM
Who is the grey, mare, small junior, who was beautiful and won quite a bit, but could be rather nasty on the ground and was shown by two sisters in the late 70's to early 80's. One of the sisters still rides and is married to a fairly well known horseman.

Zaboobafoo
Sep. 5, 2001, 09:12 PM
IC Blue Shadow was ridden mostly by Constance(TT) Howell in his early years before Alison got him(I think!) Marley had Better Than Blue and leased him out some....I can't remember the first time I saw him in the mediums, but I first one I can think of was when a niece of Missy Clark's was riding him at WPB.

Here's one for the children of the 80/90's. What pony did Kelly Farmer ride to her AHSA Pony Medal Final win, and what horse did she ride to her ASPCA Final win, and for a bonus, what year did she win each?

Indy
Sep. 5, 2001, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zaboobafoo:

Here's one for the children of the 80/90's. What pony did Kelly Farmer ride to her AHSA Pony Medal Final win, and what horse did she ride to her ASPCA Final win, and for a bonus, what year did she win each?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kelly won the Pony Medal in '89 on Change of Heart. She won the ASPCA Finals in '94, I think she rode 14 Karat, but I'm not certain.

geckoUBC
Sep. 5, 2001, 11:19 PM
Ahh you beat me to it Indy! For once I knew the answer! But to make myself feel better, I will post my own question:

Name the two Canadians who have won the AHSA Medal finals, including their horses' names and year.

Aleesha

schmoe
Sep. 6, 2001, 05:13 AM
is Laura Tidball who won the Maclay on the equitation horse Glen Owen and trained with Tim Kees. The year had to be 1979 or 1980. Could the second one be Eryn Ballard?

Anne
Sep. 6, 2001, 05:22 AM
Kelley rode Missy Clark's Harley to win the Maclay.

Now, cutelilpony asked about Canadians in the Medal, not the Maclay. The only Canadian I know of who won the Medal won it the same year Kelley won the Maclay - Melani Walter.

Dementia 13
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:01 AM
Wasn't the chestnut that Rodney rode called Quiet Flight?

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MargaretF:
Wasn't the chestnut that Rodney rode called Quiet Flight?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:14 AM
Another March.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:17 AM
Emmett, I know YOU know the answer to the other Rodney question (above) - the bay a/o horse - right?! LOL

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:22 AM
That horse was brown, did the conf. and was owned by Mrs.Randolph.

The bay hunter? Lonesome Way? Nancy Bradley?

Another working horse from that era-Riot Free.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:26 AM
Nope, not Lonesome Way. I KNOW you know who this is - read the second part of the clue again. Not CERTAIN that the horse did the regular division with him though....maybe just the green.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:30 AM
Having a senior moment.

But this thread is fun. Thanks for thinking of it.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:39 AM
LOL You'll kick yourself when you think of who that person/horse is...!

lauriep
Sep. 6, 2001, 08:41 AM
Frances Rowe had a tremendous string of jumpers in the 70's. Name 5 brown/bay jumpers that she had at the same time, and who rode them.

Laurie

Zaboobafoo
Sep. 6, 2001, 09:03 AM
Yup, you guys combined to get Kelly's wins right...she rode Change of Heart and Harley.

Now, what did she get on 14 Karat(who she rode some years ealier)

And what three horses did Meredith Taylor ride in, I believe, 1994, and what ribbons did she get on each in the AHSA, the WIHS, and the Maclay?

brilyntrip
Sep. 6, 2001, 10:17 AM
but.. quiet fight wasnt owned by harry s gil it was another march that I was thinking about!

Lord Helpus
Sep. 6, 2001, 10:33 AM
Balbuco -- Conrad -- The Butlers
Pueblo : same
Second Balcony?

Well, as I said, I would "start" the list.... Never said I could finish it...

lauriep
Sep. 6, 2001, 10:40 AM
but Second Balcony was with J & C after he was with Rodney. Frances never had him.

Anymore guesses?

Laurie

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 6, 2001, 10:59 AM
Pueblo...CH
Ceasar...JF
Balbuco...CH
Old English...CH
That's as far as I can go. Credit to LH for Pueblo.

hunterested
Sep. 6, 2001, 12:11 PM
I dont'think I saw the other Baskowitz sister answer: "Curtiss"..anybody know her whereabouts these days?

lauriep
Sep. 6, 2001, 01:23 PM
is the four Emmet mentioned and Mystic, ridden by Joe and by Joan Boyce.

Another question: Name the solid bay jr. hunter who won just about everything, even though he wasn't a very tidy jumper, and three of his riders, all well known. Same time period, the 70's.

Laurie

equitationlane
Sep. 6, 2001, 01:33 PM
Would that be Rivet?

So Intent
Sep. 6, 2001, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And what three horses did Meredith Taylor ride in, I believe, 1994, and what ribbons did she get on each in the AHSA, the WIHS, and the Maclay? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... in 1994, she was second in the uset on Bob... in 1995, she won the AHSA on Keratin, and was second in the Maclay on Four Wins, and she was also second in the WIHS on Grand Finale.

She's awesome... that rider is what equitation is all about.

-Stacy

lauriep
Sep. 6, 2001, 02:00 PM
Now, for extra credit, name the three juniors who rode him.

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 02:04 PM
Well Anna Jane White for sure....but drawing a blank on who else....hmmm....Scott Nederlander? (what ever became of him by the way?)

equitationlane
Sep. 6, 2001, 02:07 PM
Lets see now: Michael Sasso, Anna Jane White and ???? one of the Leones?

lauriep
Sep. 6, 2001, 02:45 PM
Since it is nearly time to go home, the answer is AJW, Scott Nederlander and Christian Currey.

Laurie

BTW, this is a FUN thread. Anytime you can stump Emmet, you've got something going!

MAD
Sep. 6, 2001, 06:18 PM
<<RE the "blue" ponies
IC Blue Shadow was ridden mostly by Constance(TT) Howell in his early years before Alison got him(I think!) Marley had Better Than Blue and leased him out some....I can't remember the first time I saw him in the mediums, but I first one I can think of was when a niece of Missy Clark's was riding him at WPB.>>

I think Elise Haas rode one of the Blue ponies, because she has one of them retired at Willow Creek in California.

Lily
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:12 PM
Elise Haas had (and apparently still has) Longacre Rhapsody in Blue. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lord Helpus
Sep. 6, 2001, 07:41 PM
Who is the [male] junior rider of the 1980's who wore espadrilles with his breeches (when he took off his boots). As I recall, some of the espadrilles were quite colorful!

(And whatever happened to him???)

Alex Trebek
Sep. 6, 2001, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:
Since it is nearly time to go home, the answer is AJW, Scott Nederlander and Christian Currey.

Laurie

BTW, this is a FUN thread. Anytime you can stump Emmet, you've got something going!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am gloating that I correctly guessed Scott Nederlander - haven't thought of that name in years! LOL
And I can't believe Emmet is STILL stumped by the bay horse w/Rodney that did the a/o's with a now pro in Pa.......give up?! LOL

Lord Helpus
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:11 AM
This is not a closed ended question, but rather a trip down memory lane:

Who are the trainers who you looked up to as "God" when you were a kid?

For me (dating myself once again here...) it was Gordon Wright, Emerson Burr, Wayne Carroll, VHV, GM.

Then, as riders: Dave Kelly (as a kid, he was always called "Mr. Kelly" -- hard for me to call him "Dave" when I was re-introduced to him as an adult...), Gene Cunningham.

There are more names I can think of, but I didn't know them. The people named above were my to-die-for personal idols (people I was so terrified of that I was speechless in their presence.).

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:13 AM
Methinks Alex is going to have to give the answer as senior moment is evolving into senior day (and night).
Emmet admits to being stumped but must spill the beans. LP didn't come up with it either.
Do tell so Emmet can commence to kicking oneself.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:25 AM
I've got it Watson.

Endlessly. Martha Sifton.

Nothing like a cup of java.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:30 AM
LOLOL I KNEW you'd eventually get it Emmet! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NinaL aka Chrissy
Sep. 7, 2001, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brilyntrip:
were great she also had another yella horse a mare for triple points what is the mares name?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hint of Lemon?

buryinghill2
Sep. 7, 2001, 09:36 AM
Name three Grand Prix jumpers who had names that began with C, that won Grand Prix at the age of five(!), in the early eighties, late seventies(?). Peter had this one morning as a trivia question, I was the only one to get it correct..

Alex Trebek
Sep. 7, 2001, 09:42 AM
Not as quick on the jumper trivia, but Calypso would be one maybe?

buryinghill2
Sep. 7, 2001, 09:45 AM
Schmoe-
Silk and Satin was a grey small junior that won a lot during that time, and was the nastiest horse I ever dealt with. She had quite a reputation on the ground! However, she was never shown by two sisters.
Emmett will remember another pretty nasty horse, who was fabulous and one of my favorites. Emerald Bay. He once won back to back speed classes at Lake Placid with a JUNIOR rider, walked out of the Grand Prix ring, I changed the rubber reins to leather and he walked into the hunter ring and won the Maclay flat work off, ten minutes later. Now that is a versatile horse! There were several grooms though that showed the proof of his barn temper with bruises and bite marks! I was one of them...

showjump
Sep. 7, 2001, 10:26 AM
Abby---Would it be Calypso, Chase the Clouds, now I'm drawing a blank. Hmm let me think for the third one.

lauriep
Sep. 7, 2001, 10:30 AM
Your pedestal is still intact!

Calyso, Chase the Clouds and ...?

Laurie

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:18 AM
I'm able to come up with the same two as LP, but the third one is alluding me as well. But could it be Cardinal? (Trying to think of C's)

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:22 AM
What horse jumped in Tampa Stadium as a five year old, went on to have a successful career with several elite riders of the day and was also ridden by someone already mentioned on this thread?

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:24 AM
Speaking of Silk and Satin, do I remember an incident at Ox Ridge with a lunge line and that particular horse?

showjump
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:45 AM
Would the third one been Corsair? This has really got me thinking.

buryinghill2
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:48 AM
Good one showjump. The answer is, Chase the Clouds, Corsair and Calypso.
And yes Emmet, wasn't it your aisle that Silk and Satin ran through dragging the lunge line? What a nasty injury that was!

Alex Trebek
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:50 AM
Can't begin to answer those jumper questions (!), but here's a related one to Emmet's: who was the winner (rider) of what was, I believe, the first hunter classic of the "original" Florida circuit?

Anyplace Farm
Sep. 7, 2001, 11:54 AM
Here's one:

In the late 80's, what international-class jumper was the tallest horse with the shortest groom?

(This thread was too long for me to look and see if anyone else already asked something similar..sorry!)

Lord Helpus
Sep. 7, 2001, 12:26 PM
AAAWWWW, Anyplace -- that one HAS to be easy --- Ian Millar with Big Ben and his tiny little groom...

Anyplace Farm
Sep. 7, 2001, 12:31 PM
She stood on crates to tack him up!

Lord Helpus
Sep. 7, 2001, 12:32 PM
Speaking of successful young 'uns -- name the two A/O horses that were champion at age 4 one at Washington and the other at NY (one week apart -- it was the year of the young'uns). Extra credit for naming the year and the riders...

LaurieB
Sep. 7, 2001, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:

Who are the trainers who you looked up to as "God" when you were a kid?

For me (dating myself once again here...) it was Gordon Wright, Emerson Burr, Wayne Carroll, VHV, GM.

Then, as riders: Dave Kelly (as a kid, he was always called "Mr. Kelly" -- hard for me to call him "Dave" when I was re-introduced to him as an adult...), Gene Cunningham.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's funny, at the time I was too much of a little kid to be awed by the "big guns". To me they were just Em, Rodney, Junie and George.

But now that you mention it, you're right. Dave Kenny was always Mr. Kelly. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 7, 2001, 12:53 PM
And all Abby's C horses lived in the C state. CT. that is. And yes, right through our aisle she did blast.

As far as the "orginial" hunter classic...it could have been in Palmetto. I remember Flipper was in it, but can't remember if he won.

But, in those days of working hunters, the rider has to be either Rodney or Bernie.

Do tell, Alex.

By the way, in that particular classic, the horses jumped a liverpool at about 4'6". Now those were working hunters. And at Upperville they jumped the bank. (For newbies, the bank used to be between the two hunter rings.)

brilyntrip
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:04 PM
Riot Free , True blue (NOT sure about name ),san Felipe , Another March or...who ?

schmoe
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:06 PM
the horse that I was thinking of, but I guess I was under the incorrect notion that Martha and Emily Wachtel showed her when they were at Hunterdon/Beacon Hill. Oooops!

Here's another one and I am certain of this one. A small junior, chestnut gelding, who was almost equally as mean and in his later days sported a nasty looking back ankle from his run in with a vaccuum cleaner.

buryinghill2
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:11 PM
The Watchels did eventually end up with Silk and Satin, but I don't think both girls showed her. That was at the very end of her career. When I took care of her she was owned by Tricia Andrews, and then sold to Dina Santangelo.
I remember Count Tuscan having a severe injury involving a vacuum cleaner at the Fairfield June show. This goes way back!

buryinghill2
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emmet:
What horse jumped in Tampa Stadium as a five year old, went on to have a successful career with several elite riders of the day and was also ridden by someone already mentioned on this thread?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Albany?

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:44 PM
Alright. I've been lying here on the couch for too long. Here's some trivia from Harrisburg. I'll get you with Washington and NY next...

Thinking caps on?
1980, Viscount won the Grand Prix. Rider????
1981, Felton won. Rider????
Who were Felton's TWO riders?
Now, still in the Grand Prix:
How about, who rode Dark Sonnet to the win?

How many times did T. Grubb win it and with whom?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:47 PM
...hmmm... jumped as a five-year-old... no mention of a ribbon.
VIP? (I can think of only 2 riders, so I doubt that's him)
Abdullah?

nutmeg
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:50 PM
Nimmerdor?

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:51 PM
Southside

Rags

Corsair

San Marco

The Dubliner

Siriska

Manuel

Night Magic

Playback

Weather Permitting

Whadyasay!

Vinegar Hill

Scot To Do

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:52 PM
I remember when he won Southampton - out of the blue. What a wonderful little guy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 06:55 PM
What was The Natural's original name? (when he came off the plane).
(sorry, nobody from Plain Bay may answer this).

Trixie
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:01 PM
WHADYASAY was ridden by Kim Rachuba (Williams)

buryinghill1
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:03 PM
and the OTHER rider? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Alex Trebek
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abby:
I remember Count Tuscan having a severe injury involving a vacuum cleaner at the Fairfield June show. This goes way back!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how is this for a coincidence.....Alex Trebek was the last person to show Count Tuscan! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

showjump
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:41 PM
Southside- Robert Ridland, Donald Cheska, Bernie, Scott Nederlander?
Rags-?

Corsair- Leslie, Norman

San Marco-Leslie, ?

The Dubliner- Michael Matz,

Siriska- Alan Smith, Leslie

Manuel- Christian Curry

Night Magic- Aaron Vale, Laura Kraut

Playback- Rodney, Francie, Katie

Weather Permitting- Charlie Weaver

Whadyasay!-Kim Rachuba, Allison Fireston

Vinegar Hill-?

Scot To Do- Mary Ann Steirt, Ellen VanDyke

How are these YellowDog?

Lord Helpus
Sep. 7, 2001, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowDog:
Southside -- Donald Cheska?

Rags

Corsair -- Leslie

San Marco

The Dubliner

Siriska

Manuel

Night Magic

Playback -- RJ

Weather Permitting -- RJ or Charlie

Whadyasay! -- Katie (in the workings)

Vinegar Hill

Scot To Do -- Trained by Jimmy Lee -- would Marianne Steiert have been riding for him then?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leesa
Sep. 7, 2001, 08:18 PM
Do you know his original name, before Rivet?

Lord Helpus
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:42 AM
Would your real name be CS?????? That is who had Count Tuscan when I rode at Nimrod in the '70's. She bought him from (Arrrgggghhh -- senior moment here -- ) the girl whose father is big into playing polo and owning steeplechase horses.....

I do remember CT's big hind ankle -- never know what that was from. What a nice guy he was.

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:49 AM
CS! It just came back to me.
I remember well the day CT got hurt at Fairfield. It was particularly upsetting because it was within a few days of Ashley having purchased him. He was one of the first horses I really admired, I was a kid at the time. Count Tuscan, Hot Soup and a first year horse named From the Beach are the ones I remember watching. I can remember watching Ronnie show From the Beach and thinking I had never seen anyone ride that well. He was such a wonderful rider.
Anyone remember Eve and Randy from those Nimrod days?

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:54 AM
Yellow Dog-
I remember a few riders starting out in the Grand Prix with Dark Sonnet. Katherine and Jeffrey come to mind. However, I think Jeffrey got his first Grand Prix win at Harrisburg with Sonnet.

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 06:34 AM
now forgive me Alex if I'm wrong, but the 60's were too good to me. and the caffeine has not kicked in...
Rags was piloted by Anthony
Dark Sonnet won with Jeffrey (can you name his amateur rider?). Very good, Abby!
San Marco - Debbie Dolan (Sweeney), too
The Dubliner - Alberto Carmona, too (didn't the poor horse become an eq horse??)
Siriska (you-riska-yer-life) - Mr. Grubb
Manuel - Louis Jacobs

THANK YOU to all who mentioned Count Tuscan. What a wonderful horse! Blast from the past.

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 06:47 AM
Who was "Donald," Alex.

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 06:49 AM
What Grand Prix horse did Kara Hanly (Raposa) ride in the AHSA Hunter Seat Medal Finals?

Hint- the horse showed in the Grand Prix that week with Norman Dello Joio.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
Would your real name be CS?????? That is who had Count Tuscan when I rode at Nimrod in the '70's. She bought him from (Arrrgggghhh -- senior moment here -- ) the girl whose father is big into playing polo and owning steeplechase horses.....

I do remember CT's big hind ankle -- never know what that was from. What a nice guy he was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, not CS; and owner I think you're thinking of was Ashley Lickle.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowDog:
What Grand Prix horse did Kara Hanly (Raposa) ride in the AHSA Hunter Seat Medal Finals?

Hint- the horse showed in the Grand Prix that week with Norman Dello Joio.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Johnny's Pocket, of course!

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:59 AM
The Dubliner did go from Micheal Matz to Paul's barn, to do the eq. with Rachel Sagalyn.
Was Dark Sonnets a.o. rider Rusty Holzer? I know it was a guy.

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 08:25 AM
Nah... It was a girl. Katherine (Gifford?) - who was from the Saratoga area, I think. I recall she rode with Neal Shapiro and then went to Dello Joio's I think. Then Jeffrey got the ride some how. Who can remember THAT far back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Kathy (?) had 2 wonderful jumpers. I think the other was the great Doc O'Day (who ended up in Florida).

MAD
Sep. 8, 2001, 08:42 AM
Kathy Gifford rode with Judy Richter and Ellen Raidt (now Lordy) and then Norman which is how Jeffrey got the ride on Dark Sonnet when Kathy had to retire from showing (I think something was wrong with her eyesight from a fall many years earlier).

And yes, she also had Doc O'Dea too, and was practically unbeatable in the juniors on him. Besides being an incredible rider, she the nicest and interesting person.

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 09:23 AM
I don't remember Kathy Gifford. Did she have Doc o' Day before or after the Novicks? The Nielsens almost got him from the Novick's for Karen, but it never happened..

brilyntrip
Sep. 8, 2001, 09:55 AM
Eve Culhane lives on LI and operates a training barn in Brookville she is such a hoot! Had a lil boy like three years ago!!
Randy Neuman judges alot !!!!! Also a hoot

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 10:53 AM
Novick's had him after Jeffrey.

MAD
Sep. 8, 2001, 11:50 AM
Kathy Gifford was winning in the junior jumpers in about 1978, 79, and maybe 80. 1979 or 1980 was probably her last year as a junior, although she might have shown in the A/O in Florida in 1980...

Gold Dust
Sep. 8, 2001, 02:27 PM
Eve is in Brookville now? I thought she moved. Have not seen her in years. We used to take lessons together as Jrs. with Harry!

By the way- I am loving this thread. Been lurking here since it started. For cryin' out loud I cann't even remember what I had for breakfast non the less this trivia. Thanks for reminding me of 'back in the day' as my son would say!

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 02:42 PM
Laura Tidball Balisky won the Medal finals on what horse (1981)?

Followed in 1982 by Sandra Nielsen.

Who trained both riders?

(can you believe it's been 20 years!?)

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 02:50 PM
come on yellow dog, too easy!
Laura Tidball won on Glen Owen. Sandy Nielsen won on French Leave.

buryinghill1
Who was the only AHSA judge licensed in EVERY division/discipline?

(feel old yet?)

buryinghill1
who trained them....

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 02:54 PM
Too easy, Tim Kees. And no, I can't believe it's been twenty years, and I'm sure Timmy can't either!

PineTreeFarm
Sep. 8, 2001, 03:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leesa:
Do you know his original name, before Rivet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prince Scrappy ??

Leesa
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:17 PM
I thought I had a stumper! You are right. Do you know who owned him when his name was Prince Scrappy?

schmoe
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:39 PM
with your Count Tuscan knowledge (well, I mean the rest of it too).
And Alex, I thought that Kim Axford was one of the last to show Count Tuscan in the A/A around 1983-1984.
Finally, the Novicks had Doc O'Day at the end of 1983 and through 1984 and I thought that they got him from someone in Canada, but I am not sure where he went after them. He would have been rather old by that time.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:41 PM
But here are the important questions:

In the top picture, what is the dog's name, and

In the bottom picture, what is the horse's name (and who was the owner...)

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:48 PM
Strapper?

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:50 PM
wild guess

HolySmoke. Kara Lauinger

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:54 PM
The corgi was probably Timmy's, his name is on the tip of my tongue, I was just talking about him recently and knew his name, now I don't! If it is the same dog, he was killed when Timmy's camper was wrecked on the way to Fla. The dog survived the wreck, then ran into the highway and was killed by an oncoming car.
The grey horse must be Holy Smoke, although I'm not sure he on the scene yet when these pictures were taken. I can't remember the name of the first junior that had him, she lived in the city and also owned Henry the Hawk, one of my all time favorites I took care of for the Mckinnneys. Kara Lauinger bought him from that family. I can picture her face and her name is ALMOST coming to me... This will make me crazy when i find out, it's so close to me!

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:55 PM
ANGELA JENKLOW!!! I knew it would come to me!

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 04:58 PM
Way to old to be Strapper. If that was Timmy's corgi, he was a great dog. Timmy had him when he first arrived at Nimrod. The pictures look like they were taken at Ox Ridge.
COMING THROUGH THE HAZE, TIMMY'S CORGI WAS RENNIE!

buryinghill1
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:10 PM
I knew you'd know! Those years were WAY too blurry.

Gnarly
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:15 PM
Remember the tents in the paddocks. THE ROCKS???!
Great pictures. Thanks.

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:19 PM
These pictures have literally made me teary eyed! Such a long time ago, such GREAT memories. I wouldn't trade those years, those experiences for anything in the world!

Lord Helpus
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:28 PM
Nope. It wa not Timmy's dog Rennie (although they were the same age, or close to it since they were both in florida that winter.)

This corgi was Randy's dog.....

And the horse is NOT Holy Smoke. Not even close... Holy Smoke was lighter when Angela got him from Pam Duffy. Pam sold him because he was ugly (true) and he farted over every jump (sadly also true). But what a NICE horse he was for Angela...

So -- you experts out there -- name of dog and horse are still up for grabs.

And it is threads like this that make me regret not having organized my HUGE box of old pictures many years ago. I know what is inthere, it is just finding it...

OK , here is a hint -- horse ont he left is the same horse the the prior bath scene. So, name both horses and the kids on top.

For $500000000, Alex, name the girl in the right hand side of the picture (hint: she also rode a gray horse in the ammies that year with Nimrod)

Fred
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:33 PM
way back, someone mentioned "Viscount". does anyone have anymore information on him, ie breeding, origin, owner(s) riders?

buryinghill2
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:36 PM
I had a feeling the grey horse was to dark to be Smokey. Also the pictures are a little too old to be him.

MAD
Sep. 8, 2001, 05:58 PM
Where have you been all summer?

Marie

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 8, 2001, 06:21 PM
was...drum roll...nice try Abby...Southside.

Viscount---French bred. Came to US for indoors one year and purchased by Mr. Ray Firestone. Rodney rode him for a while, Buddy had the ride and maybe even Frank sat on him, but I'm not sure about that.

Vinegar Hill's original rider...Raleigh Minor and I think Martha Sifton also.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:23 PM
OOPS, picture of the 2 grays never made it. Somehow I tried to upload the origianl sized one, not the small one.

So -- here goes: 2 gray horses, with kids on each. Name the horses, the kids and the girl in the right of the picture (who also rode a gray ammie horse). (Gray on the left is the same one that Randy was washing in prior picture...)

Alex Trebek
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by schmoe:
with your Count Tuscan knowledge (well, I mean the rest of it too).
And Alex, I thought that Kim Axford was one of the last to show Count Tuscan in the A/A around 1983-1984.
[QUOTE]

Nope, I showed him in '85-86.

Here's a good stumper: where was the barn where Timmy Kees worked for years (below the Mason Dixon)pre Nimrod, and what was the name of it?

jumpsalot
Sep. 8, 2001, 07:52 PM
What is on the head of the child on the left?
I LOVE this thread

Lord Helpus
Sep. 9, 2001, 06:32 AM
Jumpsalot, that is just plain hair (scary isn't it -- these two toddlers sitting on big horses with no hats)

Even funnier is the fact that said toddler's dad worked in the rock music world and was starting to bald. So said toddler has "extra hair" to even the score.... (hey, good pun /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

PineTreeFarm
Sep. 9, 2001, 07:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leesa:
I thought I had a stumper! You are right. Do you know who owned him when his name was Prince Scrappy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Philip Walters

jumpsalot
Sep. 9, 2001, 09:12 AM
Om Ian Millar-
Dwyer Hill
Jackie Morold - Owner
Randy Roy -TRainer

Leesa
Sep. 9, 2001, 11:46 AM
Did you ride at Rice Farms? What horse? I am trying to guess how you would remember those facts.

Lord Helpus
Sep. 9, 2001, 02:06 PM
Randy Neuman (Nimrod in the '70's) was holding his own dog Mickey in the posted picture. And in the other picture he was bathing Market Street, then owned by Joan Kramer, but previously owned by Marguerite (sp?) Bixby who was champion on her in the A/O's at MSG.

Timmy Kees and I got to Nimrod within a month of each other, and I should remember the farm he came from, because back then he talked about it a lot. I know it was in Maryland and I know that his big Junior rider was Tracey Weinburg but I cannot remember the name...

hunterested
Sep. 9, 2001, 02:53 PM
Alex Trebek or Rexford: I am still waiting a reply on the "other" Baskowitz sister's name that I mentioned days ago: Curtiss??? So if I'm right for double jeopardy points where did Curtiss go to college?

PineTreeFarm
Sep. 9, 2001, 03:44 PM
Did you ride at Rice Farms? What horse? I am trying to guess how you would remember those facts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I rode at Rice Farms. From the name I use to post on this BB you should know who I am. A hint: I still take lessons from VR. If you still can't guess my name E-Mail me and I'll tell you.

buryinghill1
Sep. 9, 2001, 03:59 PM
I knew you'd remember Vinegar...

Viscount! Frenchie! Another winner of the GP of Harrisburg. 1980! (We lost.)

Anybody remember Flying John? Another graduate of The Team.

Gnarly
Sep. 9, 2001, 04:07 PM
Geez Marie. I got that warm and fuzzy feeling. Missed me? I ain't been nowhere. Here, leaning on the standard, with my bamboo at the ready.
All the darts tossed at Gladstone on this BB made me ever so sad lately. Didn't want to kicking up dirt or throw any rails (and get moderated into oblivion).

This is a great thread.
Thank you Alex and friends for such fun! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill1
Sep. 9, 2001, 04:22 PM
Yes, Frank did ride him, Emmet. I remember giving him a leg up. Sadly, can't remember why, where, when.

buryinghill2
Sep. 9, 2001, 04:47 PM
Yellow dog, "can't remember why, where or when"
I've had a lot of those since this thread began!

LaurieB
Sep. 9, 2001, 04:54 PM
Here's another trivia question with a picture. This is the front of the line of the Small Pony Model, Ox Ridge Horse Show 1969.

How many ponies can you identify?
How many handlers/riders?

P.S. I have a picture of the Large Pony Model too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill2
Sep. 9, 2001, 05:19 PM
#12 with the chestnut pony is probably Cockscrow Flair with Lucie Mckinney.

LaurieB
Sep. 9, 2001, 05:31 PM
That's one right!

Here's the Large Pony Model, also Ox Ridge 1969.

Same questions:
Who are the ponies?
Bonus points for identifying the riders.

MAD
Sep. 9, 2001, 05:36 PM
Is that Arthur Hawkins judging?

buryinghill2
Sep. 9, 2001, 05:41 PM
Looks like Lucie again at the top of the line, although I don't know the pony. The second pony might be one of the Guyers, although this picture might be to early for that. They had a fat chestnut pony we called Cheese. I don't remember his full name.

LaurieB
Sep. 9, 2001, 05:58 PM
No, it isn't Lucie again. The identity of that first pony is a tough one. All four behind her were much better known (each had multiple national rankings.) By the way this picture only shows the front of the line, after the cut. The class started with 25-30 entries.

hint: the first pony in line was a purebred Connemara, and like Lucie's pony Flair, was based at Fairfield.

MAD, someone with better eyes than me would have to answer that question, though it seemed like Artie Hawkins judged Ox Ridge just about every year back then, so it might well be.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 9, 2001, 06:06 PM
Yellow...

Flying John was a fat bay one, right? Do I remember Robert riding him?

Ain't this fun?

PA Adult
Sep. 9, 2001, 06:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieB:
No, it isn't Lucie again. The identity of that first pony is a tough one. All four behind her were much better known (each had multiple national rankings.) By the way this picture only shows the front of the line, after the cut. The class started with 25-30 entries.

hint: the first pony in line was a purebred Connemara, and like Lucie's pony Flair, was based at Fairfield.

In the small model, I think Chantilly is 3rd and maybe Moon Comet first. In the large model, I can tell Prim n Proper is 5th - not sure about the others.

Miss those all around farm days!

MAD, someone with better eyes than me would have to answer that question, though it seemed like Artie Hawkins judged Ox Ridge just about every year back then, so it might well be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

buryinghill2
Sep. 9, 2001, 06:38 PM
The connemera pony at the top of the line ended up being leased later on by one of my best childhood friends. I still can't remember her name though. If it's the same one, the problem was she ended up barely being a pony, or NOT being a pony! I can't for the life of me remember her name, I do remember she was a wonderful jumper.
I also thought the judge looked like Artie.

equitationlane
Sep. 9, 2001, 09:00 PM
Yes, it was Curtiss and I can't remember where she went to collage. Kind of lost touch from the mid 70's on.

So Intent
Sep. 9, 2001, 09:03 PM
In the picture with the two children sitting on top of the horses... this might be way off, but some comment about a child's parent being a muscisian... is one of those children Teddi Jo Mellencamp, or is it too early?

-Stacy

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 06:49 AM
The "pony" who is 15.0 is Gwynned Ask Me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Sep. 10, 2001, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simplyirrisistable:
In the picture with the two children sitting on top of the horses... this might be way off, but some comment about a child's parent being a muscisian... is one of those children Teddi Jo Mellencamp, or is it too early?

-Stacy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the child on the left is Joan Kramer's son Alex. Joan was the new owner of Market Street. His dad had discovered KISS and produced their albums.

The child on the right is Christina Mutch and she is sitting on Devon (who, about one week later, would begin his east coast treck toward stardom with Lyda Beigel -- he had come in from Washington about a month earlier and had been at Nimrod since then). This picture was taken when we first got down to FLa and were at the Fairgrounds.

The girl in the back right rode a wonderful ammie horse named Hoppergrass -- anyone know her name now?

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 06:58 AM
What a fabulous pair. Lyda had Pluco too. Remember??

Funny. I recall that barn at The Fairgrounds, the dusty road next to it, etc. It's all coming back.
(well not all /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Alex Trebek
Sep. 10, 2001, 07:02 AM
The girl in the back right rode a wonderful ammie horse named Hoppergrass -- anyone know her name now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't Hoppergrass shown in the jrs. by Maryann Steiert?

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 07:03 AM
"...the first pony in line was a purebred Connemara,...was based at Fairfield..."

darn. I was gonna say Dresden.
I very rarely saw the pony ring, so that's another stab in the dark.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 07:08 AM
"... Flying John was a fat bay one, right? Do I remember Robert riding him? ..."

I remember Ellie riding him and EVERYBODY ELSE! I think he was "shapely." /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

lauriep
Sep. 10, 2001, 01:10 PM
Yes, solid bay, with one of the LONGEST heads I have ever seen. Was kind of the USET "school horse." Wasn't he also an off the wall breed like Standardbred? That is running through my mind...Tommy Viele took care of him, and Frenchie too.

Frenchie went to Europe with us in '78 - I THINK he bowed a tendon while there, too, if memory serves me...maybe at Aachen????

Laurie

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 01:41 PM
FYI-
One of the last grooms who worked at Gladstone -Kim Blasko (took care of Frenchie and John) is now practicing veterinary medicine in Michigan.

She and Ted were the last to leave, I do believe..

Now, trivia question -- (Emmet, Laurie, Abby not eligible).. what is the name of the indoor ring at the USET? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 10, 2001, 01:47 PM
of Flying John, LP.

If memory serves me (which more and more these days it doesn't) Frank rode Viscount in Montreal '76 Games.

Speaking of Montreal...

Here's one. Which horse and rider, jumping in the Stadium in '76, one strided the two stride double vertical after the water?

For the Daily Double, what was the outcome?

What American won the John Player Trophy at Wembley in '74 and on what horse?

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 01:56 PM
I wanna say Tad Coffin and Bally Cor. Jumping in the stadium on their 3rd day. I doan know why.
Of course I have no recollection of the 70's. That part of the brain is dead. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Was it a US rider?

Gnarly
Sep. 10, 2001, 02:10 PM
Johnny's Pocket won the Grand Prix of Devon (1981). Name his 3 professional riders (forget his junior jumper career, please).

And the same rider won in 1982 as well. Can you name THAT horse?
hint - Canadian owned.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 10, 2001, 02:21 PM
Wrong discipline. Not North American. Try the other side of the pond. Hint: female. Hint: horse was bay.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 10, 2001, 02:31 PM
What horse, while still a second year horse, won three of four over fences classes at New York in the A/O hunters?

What horse won the fourth class?

Hint: I can't remember the name of the other horse either, only it's rider and it's color. But I'll know it when I hear it!

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 03:24 PM
Gotta be a B.French horse.

buryinghill1
Sep. 10, 2001, 03:26 PM
Stab - Stab - Stab in the dark...
How about Marion Stokes (?) and Stroller
Went clean.
Was that the 60's? Geez I can't remember. My brain hurts now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Jody
Sep. 10, 2001, 03:53 PM
Not sure what order for riders here:

1.) Norman Dello Joio
2.) Katie Prudent
3.) Judy Richter

I think the horse from 82 was Norman's "I love you"... been awhile!!!!1

[This message was edited by Jody on Sep. 10, 2001 at 06:30 PM.]

LaurieB
Sep. 10, 2001, 03:54 PM
Abby and PA Adult already filled things in partway.

Small pony model:
1. Moon Comet, owned by Syndy Paul, ridden by Cindy Wiener
2. Cockscrow Flair, Lucie McKinney
3. Chantilly, Syndy Paul
4. Driftwood, Gail Hulick
5. Midget, Nancy Baroody

Large Ponies:
1. Springledge Irish Twig (Twiggy), Lindsay Dugan. And yes, she was subsequently protested and measured out. I believe it happened about a year later.
2. Pride 'n Joy, Laurie Snyder
3. Rebel, Judy Korn
4. Chimney Sweep, Cindy Wiener
5. Prim 'n Proper, Debbie Cahn

buryinghill2
Sep. 10, 2001, 04:51 PM
Springledge Irish Twig! That's the one! She lived down the road somewhere from FCHC, not at the club. My friend Laurie leased her, and I was so jealous! She was a wonderful "pony", until she wasn't a pony. That's when Laurie got her to lease. It's a shame the childrens hunter division was just beginning then, because once she was protested out of ponies, there was no real place for her. She had plenty of step to do the horse distances, and she was a great jumper. Just a tiny bit too big. I dug out some childhood photos of her last night.. Hadn't thought about her in 25 years.....

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 10, 2001, 05:25 PM
Awwh gee, I know the answer to that one. .

Not Stroller. I think that pair was '68 and were Silver Medalist.

The one I have in mind was a young lady by the name of Debby Jonsey representing Great Britian. Can't remember the horse's name but it jumped the tight two double of verticals after the Olympic water, in one with nary a fault. Sure weren't perty, tho'.

Hunter ?...you're getting warmer. Alex, this one should be right up your alley.

Alex Trebek
Sep. 10, 2001, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emmet:

Hunter ?...you're getting warmer. Alex, this one should be right up your alley.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.....you didn't answer Yellow Dog, but I would've guessed Bunny French too - is that the right rider?

buryinghill1
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I realized last night I was thinking too far back into the Ronnie Silcox/Snowbound years. Stroller I remembered was late 60s.
Emmet- On the NY hunter I am stuck. Need more caffeine...
Johnny's Pocket was piloted by Ellen Raidt (Lordi),Katie and NDJ. And I must confess, I forgot about Judy being a professional - so Jody got me on that one! (Ellen is judging the Medal finals this year!).
But Jody, I got you on '82. That was Grand Lieu (Canadian owned).
I'm going to the food tent to get some coffee. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KLG
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:56 PM
Nautical Hall

lauriep
Sep. 12, 2001, 12:41 PM
Riot Free, was normally piloted by RJ. However, due to circumstances beyond RJ's control, one year at indoors Riot had another jock. Who was it?

Laurie

Lord Helpus
Sep. 12, 2001, 01:08 PM
Lauriep I do not know the answer to your question about Riot Free, but it brought to mind another question about a wonderful working horse -- Royal Blue --

Who was his rider, and, in those years when NY had a "Ladies to Ride" class, who rode him in that class? (I have decided that the "Ladies to Ride" designation constitutes ciecumstances beyond the regular rider's control, LOL.)

Kennett Square
Sep. 12, 2001, 01:37 PM
Did Bernie Traurig ride Riot Free that year?

Alex Trebek
Sep. 12, 2001, 02:18 PM
I'll take a stab at these:
Riot Free was ridden by Patty Heuckeroth.
Royal Blue, Gary Ryman, then with, I believe, Winter Place, so I'll guess Katie Monahan in the Ladies to Ride?

KLG
Sep. 12, 2001, 04:59 PM
Cynthia Williams also showed Royal Blue

KLG
Sep. 12, 2001, 05:05 PM
Cynthia started Royal Blue then Bernie Traurig, rode him through his working years

dodgegrrl
Sep. 12, 2001, 07:03 PM
Is Winter Place still going?

Lord Helpus
Sep. 12, 2001, 08:33 PM
KLG gets the first 1/2 of the question right. Bernie DID show Royal Blue at NY as a working horse. But it was Linda Hough who rode him in the Ladies to Ride class at NY (and won it, which helped to made Royal Blue champion).

I remember this story because, years later CeCe Durante had Royal Blue and wanted to retire him. Linda offered to retire him to Sutton Place because he was the first horse she had ever ridden at NY and that very first ride resulted in a blue. So, Royal Blue spent his final years at Sutton Place with [Spindletop ] Showdown and Sutton Place (the horse)). Those three had recently all died within several months of each other (one imagines that they were great good friends out in the field and they missed each other and so died out of loneliness...) when Valor retired there to live out his final days.

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on Sep. 13, 2001 at 08:38 AM.]

lauriep
Sep. 13, 2001, 09:55 AM
Any more guesses?

Laurie

equitationlane
Sep. 13, 2001, 10:05 AM
Jimmy Kohn?

lauriep
Sep. 13, 2001, 01:54 PM
Betsy (Mackenzie, Riot's groom) and I must have been the only ones to watch! It was CONRAD!! First hunter in MANY a moon that he had ridden. And he did a pretty fair job, too, as Riot wasn't an easy ride. Do I get a prize for stumping the contenders?

Dodge Girl, Winter Place is long gone.
Laurie

Lord Helpus
Sep. 13, 2001, 09:30 PM
Lauriep -- Remember when Conrad rode Dottie Flanders horse, Play The Music (or something like that) in the regulars at Washington? I remember him saying that he thought that riding a hunter (and having to sit still and find yor spot out of the corner without making it obvious what you were doing) was harder than riding in a Grand Prix.

I think that Dottie's horse was one of the last hunters he showed.....

lauriep
Sep. 14, 2001, 08:20 AM
I didn't remember until you mentioned it, and it would have been later than his ride on Riot Free by several years. And Play the Music is correct, he was Stogie in the barn.

Whatever happened to Miss Dottie?

Laurie

buryinghill1
Sep. 14, 2001, 08:22 AM
Alive and well
Now married to John Ammerman
They live in Waitsfield, VT
Look her up!

Catalyst just died recently. Y'all remember HIM?

buryinghill1
Sep. 14, 2001, 08:27 AM
I was looking through old photos the other day--
Remember the speed horses? - Adam Ant (Bert Mutch?)? Snickers? All those Stillmeadow horses? The Hobbit (Jeffrey Welles?), Slip Slidin',...
I'm in such a daze this week. Sorry. I have no trivia questions.
Maybe somebody has some good SPEED HORSE trivia? I think Leslie and Katie had a few speed demons which amazed us all. I'm just not very horsey this week.

lauriep
Sep. 14, 2001, 10:35 AM
Name the brown (black?) speed horse that Katie showed that was also being shown as a jr. jumper.

John Ammerman was a friend, as was Bert Lytle. If anyone sees Dottie, please say hi for me!

Laurie