PDA

View Full Version : "DOUBLE JEOPARDY!" - Old Horse Show Trivia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Shorty
Jan. 11, 2002, 05:29 PM
Which Gran Prix Jumper & Pony Hunter Shared the same name ?
How many can you think of ?
Any Tense !
Is/Were there more than one ?
BONUS CRUISE Points For Naming the Riders of each !

upperco
Jan. 11, 2002, 06:19 PM
Keswick/Mrs Hewett Tom Hardy Keswick-Peter Weatherill

wtywmn4
Jan. 11, 2002, 07:12 PM
GP/Pony = Fairway, Mr. Blue and there's probably more too.....

upperco
Jan. 12, 2002, 05:57 AM
Audrey Chesney

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 06:15 AM
That's not the right answer to my Maclay question. (See previous page.)

wtywmn4
Jan. 12, 2002, 07:47 AM
MHM we're working on the horse/rider combo who ground tied in the parking lot? For the Maclay that is.

Geeesh, there just isn't enough coffee these days.

Was the horse Gulliver??

lauriep
Jan. 12, 2002, 08:46 AM
Bandit
Shotgun
Aspen
Fair Warning
Y-Hugo
Bullwinkle
Sandor
Grey Chief
Do Right
Springer

Laurie

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 09:18 AM
My trivia question was about the Maclay winner the first year they tried to limit the number of riders at the Garden. I already gave a hint (or two) on that one.

Anyone who wants to guess the identity of the great ground-tieing equitation horse is welcome to do so. We could have a BIG BATTLE of wits here.

buryinghill2
Jan. 12, 2002, 09:19 AM
Springer! What a great mare she was. Dina Santangelo bought her from Barney Ward, and then I was lucky enough to take care of her for a few years.

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 09:25 AM
Fair Warning- a Traurig? But which one?

Aspen- I'm thisclose to remembering- a blond guy from the Midwest, possibly an amateur?

lauriep
Jan. 12, 2002, 10:45 AM
Dana, you are correct, but I was going for Ian, who made her famous.

Fair Warning - a "Traurig" but the person also rode her before her marriage to the "Traurig." Who was it?

Aspen - it is a female rider I am after...

PS - if it is any help, I am taking my info from a results list from 1st (possibly 2nd) American Jumping Derby.

Laurie

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 11:07 AM
Amy Brumder! I couldn't remember if he rode the horse some as well.

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:

PS - if it is any help, I am taking my info from a results list from 1st (possibly 2nd) American Jumping Derby.

Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A RESULTS LIST!?!?!?!

No fair! I thought we were relying on brain cell activity for this game! Where's the steward?!?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Molly99
Jan. 12, 2002, 12:32 PM
But Shorty

McLain's Viktor is spelled differently.

I guess I am waaay tooo picky.

Name at least 3 Casanova's and their riders. All showing today in the GP's.

YD - No cheating!

lauriep
Jan. 12, 2002, 12:50 PM
Ain't nobody gonna convince me that YD and company aren't using "resources!"

Laurie

buryinghill2
Jan. 12, 2002, 01:18 PM
Resources? I have none. I do not have one old chronicle, one prize list, catalogue or horse magazine of any kind in my home. I have some old pictures in a box somewhere and my leather shanks and a few halters. Somewhere in another box I have the shoes we pulled off French Leave just before we put him down... That was it for me, the last thing I ever saved. The only resource I have is my foggy memory.

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 03:41 PM
Unlike Abby, I have about 5000 old Chronicles, Practical Horsemans, programs from Indoors, etc., but I haven't been using them as resources! No wonder I'm getting my butt kicked!

I think those of us playing strictly off our feeble memories should get an upgrade on the cruise. Abby and I get dibs on dinner at the Captain's table.

Tackpud
Jan. 12, 2002, 04:39 PM
Shorty -

A current Grand Prix and Pony Hunter pair:
Sundance Kid - Laura Kraut
Sundance Kid - Lydia Beresford (large ponies)

wtywmn4
Jan. 12, 2002, 05:41 PM
First Class state rooms right MHM? And lots of bubblie!!

MHM
Jan. 12, 2002, 06:02 PM
I even have some old AGA media guides sitting aroud that I haven't touched once! What does that tell you about my standards of fair play?

Actually, it tells me that I need to muck out my bookcases a little more frequently. Abby, how on earth did you manage to divest your house of horse magazines? My collection needs its own room.

[This message was edited by MHM on Jan. 13, 2002 at 11:54 AM.]

wtywmn4
Jan. 12, 2002, 07:14 PM
Sounds to me like you have a small archaival library going there MHM. Some of us could have used it..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Could use it now...... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Casanova's Donald Cheska, Bert Firestone & ????????

Kennett Square
Jan. 13, 2002, 06:54 AM
I can see the woman now and only can remember her first name...it was Amy Brumder (?) who rode Fair Wwarning

MAD
Jan. 13, 2002, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MHM:
...champion at Lake Placid in the regular working hunters at the ripe old age of 14?...
No clue!! Please give us a clue! :-)
How about ! Alice Debany? Alison Firestone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alice??? Riding hunters??? LOL! Anyway - Alex, congrats for keeping this going!

MAD
Jan. 13, 2002, 01:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MHM:
My trivia question:
Name horses who won major GPs with at least 2 different riders.
Bonus points: Name horses who won $100K classes with different riders.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emmet's picks as well, plus
The Natural (RJ and Katherine Burdsall); <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add Alice Debany as a rider for The Natural. Off the top of my head I can think of them winning the Queen's Cup in Calgary.

lauriep
Jan. 13, 2002, 01:29 PM
for Fair Warning. Bernie never rode her to my knowledge; he rode Prime Time after she was purchased by the Brumders. Lot's more on the list...

Laurie

Jaysee
Jan. 14, 2002, 04:04 PM
Whatever did happen to Shep? I worked with him one summer... 'twas an experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.....

wtywmn4
Jan. 14, 2002, 04:59 PM
Okay Alex, we're in need of another mind boggling question from the archives.... Have dibs on MHM's library......

Alex Trebek
Jan. 14, 2002, 06:03 PM
At your service....transplanted Ohioan featured in pictures in GM's first addition of "Hunt Seat Equitation" and now training her son in the jumpers. Name the rider, the son, and the name of the Ohio farm.

equitationlane
Jan. 14, 2002, 06:20 PM
Would that be Teddi Ismond? didn't she have a horse named Timex?

MHM
Jan. 14, 2002, 08:55 PM
Another hint for obsessive types- you know who you are!

The Maclay winning horse's name is mentioned in an old thread that just popped up. The trainer's name has also been seen on the BB VERY recently.

Alex Trebek
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HooDooToo:
Would that be Teddi Ismond? didn't she have a horse named Timex?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep

buryinghill1
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:39 AM
The Maclay winning horse's name is mentioned in an old thread that just popped up. The trainer's name has also been seen on the BB VERY recently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Foreign Exchange, PV ?

Who are 3 ex-Grand Prix horses that showed in equitation finals (not Johnny's Pocket, previously mentioned in thread)?

[This message was edited by yd on Jan. 15, 2002 at 10:09 AM.]

Alex Trebek
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:54 AM
Sandsablaze (sp.)?

buryinghill2
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:55 AM
One that comes to mind immediately is The Dubliner. I"m sure I can think of more if I think about it.

Molly99
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:01 AM
Northern Magic did medal finals at least once.

So Intent
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:53 AM
Who are 3 ex-Grand Prix horses that showed in equitation finals (not Johnny's Pocket, previously mentioned in thread)?

Didn't Meredith Taylor ride an exgrand prix horse in finals... Keratin, I believe? I could be wrong.

buryinghill1
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:19 AM
Alex: Sandsablaze. Forgot him. How could I?!
Dubliner, yes. Magic, yes. He even won that new Washington medal (final). Keratin - new to me.
The only other one I know is Foreign Affair, from Michigan (he won one of those big Kentucky GPs a few years back). That was my 3!

Others?

MHM
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:44 AM
So far, you have the right era and zone of origin... so don't make yourself CRAZY!

wtywmn4
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:10 AM
MHM, would that be Paul Valliere trainer? Now the rider/horse........hmmm

buryinghill1
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MHM: So far, you have the right era and zone of origin... so don't make yourself CRAZY!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MHM
Jan. 15, 2002, 08:38 AM
So does that mean you know it or not? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

If not, I posted one a couple of pages back that crossed the line between clue and Freudian slip!

This win was very well documented in PH, which I'm sure I still have in my reference library annex (aka my mother's attic).

Trainer: Think of the antithesis of PV.

buryinghill1
Jan. 15, 2002, 10:29 AM
OK, more trivia from the equitation and GP rings (thank you to WCPrncss for the ideas!).
Who RODE Northern Magic in his 1st (only?) Medal final?
Who took care of Albany at LA Olympics (84)?
Who took care of Gem Twist at the Seoul Olympics (88)?
Who took care of Irish at Barcelona (92)?

MHM
Jan. 15, 2002, 11:04 AM
Gem Twist's groom- Jen Alfano
Northern Magic- I know this one, but can't think of her name!! (I hate it when that happens!)

OK- Maclay winner: Peter Wylde, Native Surf, Fran & Joe Dotoli, 1982.

Wylde/CRAZY, HELMETS/Joe Dotoli, who was also the topic of a thread for an award he just won. Native Surf was mentioned on the Christina thread, and there was a big two-part feature in PH, which I almost knew word for word at one time.

And this was a flat-out accident:
Shorty- Touch of Class (wild guess) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

867-5309
Jan. 15, 2002, 11:09 AM
Gem-Jen A., I believe........

S.

(Edit: Wah! DENIED! MHM buzzes in 4 mins before me!-story of my life, oh well.)

"Are you doing the litmus configuration?"
~Jonathan Mardukis~
Midnight Run

[This message was edited by SunnySTRH on Jan. 15, 2002 at 02:17 PM.]

buryinghill2
Jan. 15, 2002, 11:16 AM
Albany's groom in LA- David Snyder.

Who won the Medal finals the year that Peter Wylde won the Maclay?

Molly99
Jan. 15, 2002, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abby:
Albany's groom in LA- David Snyder.

Who won the Medal finals the year that Peter Wylde won the Maclay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sandra Nielson, but who was the groom??

bonus points if you can name the groom's boyfriend?

buryinghill1
Jan. 15, 2002, 12:15 PM
Now THAT's trivia!
You can OWN the cruise line if you know who was the horse, what OTHER final did it win and who SHOD it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
D.Snyder - Albany - yes
Gem - Jen- yes
Any takers for Irish? Thinking caps!
Magic's junior rider? hmmmmmm?

[This message was edited by yd on Jan. 15, 2002 at 03:31 PM.]

buryinghill2
Jan. 15, 2002, 12:16 PM
I'll pass on your last one, too easy for me!

buryinghill2
Jan. 15, 2002, 02:42 PM
Hey yd, my email to you is all being returned. What's wrong?

MHM
Jan. 15, 2002, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yd:
Now THAT's trivia!
You can OWN the cruise line if you know who was the horse, what OTHER final did it win and who SHOD it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

What kind of truck did the farrier drive, what was his license plate number, and what was the name and breed of his dog?
And his mother's maiden name??

nutmeg
Jan. 15, 2002, 04:56 PM
Why the flame-haired Julie. They were matching chestnuts.

Shorty
Jan. 15, 2002, 05:48 PM
Debbie Willson rode her IN MY CAP to win the finals, trained by Rodney Jenkins.
In My Cap was a jumper later shown by Joan Boyce, in gran prix & puissance classes.

wtywmn4
Jan. 15, 2002, 06:08 PM
You are the master says wty, bowing succintly to Shorty.......

buryinghill2
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yd:
Now THAT's trivia!

What kind of truck did the farrier drive, what was his license plate number, and what was the name and breed of his dog?
And his mother's maiden name??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I own the cruise line! The horse was French Leave, he won the Medal twice and the USET once. The farrier was Ira Green. He drove a Ford with Fla. plates. His dog was an australian shepard named Blue. Before Blue he had a dobie and a fuzzy white dog. I met his mother, but I do not know her maiden name.

MHM
Jan. 15, 2002, 07:19 PM
Abby gets the official captain's hat and jacket!

Ira will be scratching his head wondering why so many people are asking about his mother this winter!

buryinghill1
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:10 AM
Julie and Irish!
And Katherine Miracle rode Northern Magic.

lauriep
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:11 AM
astounds me! All hail, the Queen of Trivia!

Cruise ship? Hell, she should have her own queenly YACHT! Can I be a deck hand?

Laurie

buryinghill2
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauriep:
astounds me! All hail, the Queen of Trivia!

Cruise ship? Hell, she should have her own queenly YACHT! Can I be a deck hand?

One persons trivia is another persons daily life! You better know something about the horses and people you saw everyday.
It is funny though, I had dinner a few nights ago with IG's ex shoeing partner. We were talking about IG's parents.

Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

buryinghill1
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:34 AM
the first horse inducted into the U.S. Showjumping Hall of Fame?

Kennett Square
Jan. 16, 2002, 08:12 AM
Was the Palamino pony Nilla Wafer?

Was Janice's pony Ranchero, Blue Chip or C'est Moi'. Kind of guessing on those...

lauriep
Jan. 16, 2002, 10:09 AM
Dana, I DID remember back then and knew everyone! It is your MEMORY that amazes me! Mine is gone! Oh, sure, once someone answers, I say "Oh yeah, I did know that, or I remember her."

It just seems to have left me now...

Laurie

TeriKessler
Jan. 16, 2002, 12:58 PM
Ainsley Vince rode Northern Magic at the finals.

buryinghill1
Jan. 16, 2002, 01:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ainsley Vince rode Northern Magic at the finals.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Another source just said it was Lindsay Phibbs. Yikes. We have 3 names now!

Weatherford
Jan. 16, 2002, 01:23 PM
SJHofFame - IDLE DICE was the first horse inducted.

Interesting that Sandsablaze went from the Hunters/Jr Jprs/Eq to the Grand Prix, like In My Cap - as Shorty mentioned.

Were there other who moved up rather than down? (Which is what we usually see today!)

MHM
Jan. 16, 2002, 03:14 PM
Which of the candidates was riding w/John and Beezie at the time? Somebody make have to ask John to settle this one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wtywmn4
Jan. 16, 2002, 04:53 PM
Okay, Who was the first woman to ride for the United States in the Olympics???

Janet
Jan. 16, 2002, 05:10 PM
First woman
Do I get 3 guesses?
Jessica Newman (Ransenhausen)
Mary Mairs (Chapot)
Kathy Kusner

equitationlane
Jan. 16, 2002, 05:42 PM
Was it Carol Durand?

Next question. Where and how did she die? And for extra bonus points on the cruise, name the horse that led to her demise.

wtywmn4
Jan. 16, 2002, 06:51 PM
No and No Both wonderful guesses, but unfortunately not correct. Keep guessing..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill1
Jan. 17, 2002, 10:28 AM
Guess what cruise winner is graduating from college on June 1st?

The night of the Idle Dice Stake at Devon! (Ike would be proud)! Gifts and cash are appreciated. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

wtywmn4
Jan. 17, 2002, 04:07 PM
Do tell yd..With what degree, and here's the big one, will they use it????

MBS
Jan. 17, 2002, 04:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yd:
Guess what cruise winner is graduating from college on June 1st?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be Abby !!!!!!

buryinghill1
Jan. 18, 2002, 05:47 AM
Abby graduates June 1st. Congrats Abby!
And yes the degree (in medical field) will get used, I'm sure.
MB -you want yer cruise through the WPB canals? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

In honor of Abby. Trivia for Friday:
How are Bruce Burr and Leslie <Burr> Howard related?

Duffy
Jan. 18, 2002, 05:54 AM
I'm some sort of cousin of Bruce's, but not, I believe, related to Leslie...So, I'd have to say that they are no relation to each other. (But, ya never know up there in CT! lol)

lauriep
Jan. 18, 2002, 06:36 AM
NOT! Just friends.

We need some organization here! Too many old questions go unanswered because we move on to a new page and they are forgotten...

Perhaps we shouldn't post a new question until the one on the table is answered and confirmed by the questioner?

And in the subject line, put the question that you are answering, especially if it is one of the older ones.

So, all posters with unanswered questions, bring them back up here and let's get them answered. I'm still waiting for:
1) Conrad's other borrowed horse (Golden Alibhai is one)
2) Frances Rowe's medical problem that kept J & C around an extra year, and gave them the confidence to go out on their own.
3) Match horse to rider (all jumpers)

Bandit
Shotgun
Aspen
Fair Warning
Y-Hugo
Bullwinkle
Sandor
Grey Chief
Do Right
Springer

Laurie

Weatherford
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:05 AM
First woman to ride for the US was Majorie Haines Gill (Harry's wife) in 1954.

Women were not allowed in SJ til 60 and Eventing in 64.

Who was the first woman to ride in Olympic SJ? And who was the first in Eventing?

(Hint - the first was not an American, the second was.)

Weatherford
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:06 AM
Who rode The Godfather internationally after Diane Grod?

wtywmn4
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:38 AM
Ding ding ding ding, weiner, weiner!!

Weatherford got it!!! First class airfare weiner, ehhhh Weatherford???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Why Ms. Linda Allen of course!!! Okay so I should have disqualified myself, sooorry.....

wtywmn4
Jan. 18, 2002, 08:43 AM
Aha, SJ first lady was Pat Smythe on Flanagan in 1956.....

Do I win? Huh, huh? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lauriep, Leslie= Raymond's daughter, Bruce's niece...

[This message was edited by wtywmn4 on Jan. 18, 2002 at 11:55 AM.]

Weatherford
Jan. 18, 2002, 09:14 AM
AH, but who was Eventing - come on, you are an old ponyclubber, wtywmn, you should know.

(Wasn't Pat Smythe in 1960, however?)

buryinghill1
Jan. 18, 2002, 09:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtywmn4:
Leslie= Raymond's daughter, Bruce's niece...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope. Leslie B-L-H and Bruce Burr are related only in their love of horses. Other guessers move to the Lido Deck.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Abby <soon to be college grad> arrives here at 2pm!

MAD
Jan. 18, 2002, 09:59 AM
Match horse to rider (all jumpers)

Bandit
Shotgun
Aspen
Fair Warning
Y-Hugo
Bullwinkle
Sandor - Bert Mutch
Grey Chief -
Do Right - Dennis Murphy
Springer -

lauriep
Jan. 18, 2002, 10:04 AM
Michael Matz was Sandor's orginal rider, but then Bert. Any more guesses?

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jan. 18, 2002, 10:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAD:
Match horse to rider (all jumpers)

Bandit
Shotgun
Aspen
Fair Warning Amy Brundner
Y-Hugo
Bullwinkle Katie
Sandor - _Bert Mutch_
Grey Chief - Rodney/ Christomar Farm
Do Right - _Dennis Murphy_
Springer -<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

equitationlane
Jan. 18, 2002, 11:10 AM
Y-Hugo was Max Bonham at least in the beginning
Grey Chief Russell Stewart. By the way, where is he now?

lauriep
Jan. 18, 2002, 11:12 AM
Steve Stephens was who I was going for for Grey Chief. I don't remember RJ riding him, but as we know, my memory isn't!

Laurie

lauriep
Jan. 18, 2002, 11:21 AM
Y-Hugo - going for the person who showed him extensively here in the east
Bandit
Shotgun
Aspen

Grey Chief was indeed shown by Russell Stewart. Another correct guess.

Laurie

wtywmn4
Jan. 18, 2002, 02:47 PM
No Weatherford, our girl Pat showed in 1956 and won a bronze for British...

Okay now for the eventer, hmmmmmmmm......Aha! Lana DuPont, who was an American, in 1964 in Tokyo..But that was 3 day, does that still count???

Tail between legs, heading for the lido deck or is that the furnace room........ /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hoodoo, Rusty or Grey Chief????? Rusty's still around and running a barn. Probably will be at Indio...

MBS
Jan. 18, 2002, 05:30 PM
Another Leslie Burr question. What is Leslie's Real last Name. And where did she get the Burr name from.

Abby am I going to get in trouble for this one??

MBS
Jan. 18, 2002, 05:31 PM
Wasn't Springer from Barney Ward????

Weatherford
Jan. 18, 2002, 07:10 PM
Eventing and Lana is RIGHT! 64 Bronze - Team!

(What was her horse's name? And we can ask this even though she was an eventer, 'cause in those days she also showed and pony clubbed the same horse.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

wtywmn4
Jan. 18, 2002, 07:17 PM
Mr Wister, do I win ??????? Plus they both fell and he broke his jaw of all things. But they went on to finish...

Weatherford
Jan. 18, 2002, 07:24 PM
YOU WIN!!!

LCasty
Jan. 19, 2002, 02:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yd:
Name the rider(s):
Icey Paws
The Roofer
Boston Taxi
Viscount
Felton
Signal Point Jamie Mann and Lisa Castellucci
Linky
Rio
Victor

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtywmn4
Jan. 19, 2002, 08:11 AM
Linky- Tim Grubb

Weatherford
Jan. 19, 2002, 09:18 AM
Viscount - Buddy Brown and Frank Chapot
Icey Paws - Gigi Gaston
Boston Taxi - Bert Mutch
Felton - Teri Rudd
Rio - George Morris (won the DuMaurier)
Victor - Joanie Scharffenberg

(I will admit, I had help... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

MAD
Jan. 19, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by yd:
Name the rider(s):
Icey Paws - Gigi Gaston
The Roofer - Caroline Clark
Boston Taxi - Bert Mutch
Viscount - Buddy Brown and Frank Chapot
Felton - Teri Rudd
Signal Point - Jamie Mann and Lisa Castellucci
Linky - Tim Grubb
Rio - George Morris (won the DuMaurier)
Victor - Joanie Scharffenberger/Marlene Sinclair

Kennett Square
Jan. 19, 2002, 01:43 PM
Didn't Betsy Bolger-Day ride Y-Hugo??

lauriep
Jan. 19, 2002, 01:50 PM
Felton was ridden by Buddy Brown, won the Invitational among others.

Katie also rode The Roofer very successfully.

Springer was best known as Ian Millar's speed horse and also did the GPs. I don't know if he started her, but she did an awful lot of winning with him. She was with him on the '78 European tour.

Can anyone name her groom at that time?

Left to match: Bandit, Shotgun, Aspen and Bullwinkle.

Laurie

upperco
Jan. 19, 2002, 02:10 PM
Burr-Mother's stage name?

MBS
Jan. 19, 2002, 03:09 PM
Correct Upperco but do you know Leslie's "real" last name?

Weatherford
Jan. 19, 2002, 03:43 PM
Of course, you are right, LaurieP!

However, Felton was started by (I thought) Teri, but on second thought, wasn't it Karen Peterson? And wasn't he owned by the Kapp's?

I saw Leslie's mother in Sondheim's A Little Night Music , and she was great! (Many years ago...)

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Jan. 19, 2002 at 07:22 PM.]

MAD
Jan. 20, 2002, 06:05 AM
I think Alex said a few pages back that Katie rode Bullwinkle.

Kryswyn
Jan. 20, 2002, 06:38 AM
Leslie Burr - who was her mother? And her father wasn't Raymond "Perry Mason" Burr, right? Why am I not looking in my copy of the Pony Book?

Kryswyn shakes head and walks away muttering.

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

lauriep
Jan. 20, 2002, 07:07 AM
I must have missed that (this being my point about questions getting left hanging); Katie is correct. Bully was one of the "Plain Bays" referred to in Katie's farm's name.

Laurie

Weatherford
Jan. 20, 2002, 07:30 AM
Leslie's mother was Billie Burr - a fine Broadway actress. I am not sure if and how much screen/Hollywood she worked, but I do know she was well respected on stage.

In 2001, a Billie Burr of West Palm Beach, Florida was in the top five seed of the 85 yr old US tennis league. Is that her? Sounds right.

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Jan. 20, 2002 at 10:53 AM.]

buryinghill1
Jan. 20, 2002, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAD:
Felton - Teri Rudd
_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
except Felton was Buddy and Karen Marsh (now DaPrato). Both "Abby" and Abby (also known as Wobbles) are driving home now. I'm sure she'll chime in shortly. And yes, the senior tennis star in WPB is Leslie's mom.
This really is so trivial! Thanks again Alex. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MHM
Jan. 20, 2002, 08:15 AM
What was Leslie's original name, and why did she change it to her mother's stage name?

More trivia- a friend of mine is Leslie's mom's next door neighbor in Wellington. They discuss gardening sometimes.

Weatherford
Jan. 20, 2002, 08:22 AM
What was Karen Marsh's maiden name?

upperco
Jan. 20, 2002, 09:09 AM
Karen Peterson?

Weatherford
Jan. 20, 2002, 09:33 AM
Right /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

buryinghill2
Jan. 20, 2002, 12:58 PM
What was Leslie's original name, and why did she change it to her mother's stage name?

More trivia- a friend of mine is Leslie's mom's next door neighbor in Wellington. They discuss gardening sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leslie's first of many last names was Lush. That should explain the switch to Burr.

Shorty
Jan. 20, 2002, 02:06 PM
Can you name the 4 riders who rode the chestnut, throughbred, Gran Prix Jumper BRENDAN ?
HINT - 1 woman, 3 men.

upperco
Jan. 20, 2002, 02:56 PM
I'll start with Rodney

wtywmn4
Jan. 20, 2002, 05:13 PM
So upperco, on a percentage basis, how many GP horses has Rodney not ridden? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 20, 2002, 06:26 PM
Jimmy Kohn (catchride in the Gold Cup eons ago)

Shorty
Jan. 20, 2002, 07:37 PM
BRENDAN'S RIDERS - Rodney Jenkins &
Jimmy Kohn ( Jimmy was second in that class - a great catch ride AND catch rider ), are correct.
Now you need the last two -
1 man & 1 woman, both of whom rode him in Gran Prixs.

KLG
Jan. 20, 2002, 08:19 PM
Mike Matz? Terry Rudd? maybe even Bernie Traurig

Shorty
Jan. 21, 2002, 01:38 PM
BRENDAN'S RIDERS...
Correct - Rodney Jenkins, Jimmy Kohn, Michael Matz... That's all the guys -
NOW... Name the girl !
This one might be worth triple upgrade points.

lauriep
Jan. 21, 2002, 01:52 PM
Kusner! Something in the nether reaches of my very foggy brain keeps telling me that!

Laurie

Shorty
Jan. 21, 2002, 06:41 PM
And LAURIEP is the winner.
Kathy Kusner was the lady rider.

wtywmn4
Jan. 21, 2002, 07:17 PM
New one, new one......question that is....This is very good for the brain cells, even tho it takes bout 4 cups a java....

Alex Trebek
Jan. 21, 2002, 07:24 PM
"New one" you say?!

Two top pony rider sisters in the late '70's whose mother trained them, from Georgia. Name the sisters, their mother, and the two top ponies they showed to national honors. For extra credit, name which sister went on to show with G. Morris and her jr. horse.

Kennett Square
Jan. 22, 2002, 03:40 AM
Well it was the Horner sisters for sure. Can't remember who the mom was or the ponies at this moment.... way too early for me. I'm just up getting the cold medicine! Was the horse Eversham? Ponies...hmmmm Polaris Starship and Polaris Smarty?

Alex Trebek
Jan. 22, 2002, 05:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kennett Square:
Well it was the Horner sisters for sure. Can't remember who the mom was or the ponies at this moment.... way too early for me. I'm just up getting the cold medicine! Was the horse Eversham? Ponies...hmmmm Polaris Starship and Polaris Smarty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"way too early" huh? I assume you mean way too early in the morning and not way too early in time, since, of course, you're far OLDER than Alex Trebek.

Yes, the Horner sisters - one out of four answers Ms. Square. Have some coffee.

Tackpud
Jan. 22, 2002, 06:23 AM
I think I remember Helen showing MacGregor in the Large ponies and wasn't the sister Margaret?

lauriep
Jan. 22, 2002, 06:35 AM
Ihave the answer to half of your Conrad question, and the second half of mine.

Conrad won the Medal in 1967 at Bloomfield Hills, MI, judge Steve Hawkins, riding FRAN'S IMAGE.

Laurie

lauriep
Jan. 22, 2002, 06:39 AM
and off the table:

Bandit - Ian Millar

Shotgun - Jimmy Kohn

Aspen - Laurie Perry

Laurie

MAD
Jan. 22, 2002, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LaurieP:
Bandit - Ian Millar <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weatherford
Jan. 22, 2002, 08:56 AM
LaurieP - Did you KNOW that or did you call Conrad directly for the answer???

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lauriep
Jan. 22, 2002, 11:30 AM
I knew the Fran's Image and Steve Hawkins part, just couldn't remember what outdoor show it was at. It was "DOH! (slaps forehead) I knew that!
For that, I looked it up. At least I'm honest, and I know where to look!

I KNEW the KK answer to female rider on Brendan. My brain is telling me there is actually a published picture of her somewhere riding him...

Laurie

MHM
Jan. 22, 2002, 12:12 PM
I knew the Fran's Image and Steve Hawkins part, just couldn't remember what outdoor show it was at. It was "DOH! (slaps forehead) I knew that!
Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the "D'OH!/slaps forehead" reaction has gotten quite a workout on this thread! My forehead is starting to hurt. That's the best part.

OK- Who was the first woman to win the World Cup Finals? Horse/year?

(Insert sound of mad typing to be first to the buzzer <here>.)

lauriep
Jan. 22, 2002, 12:35 PM
Melanie, Calypso, 1981? Not sure of the year, but I think it was the year after she was second to us. Maybe 1982...

Laurie

wtywmn4
Jan. 22, 2002, 03:44 PM
Damn lauriep, I knew that one one of the few... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

upperco
Jan. 22, 2002, 05:53 PM
correct on the Medal Finals at Bloomfield and Steve Hawkins-that was the hard one-Now how about the Maclay?Hint two judges one ia a trainer who judges a lot and the other one writes a lot

Alex Trebek
Jan. 22, 2002, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex Trebek:
"New one" you say?!

Two top pony rider sisters in the late '70's whose mother trained them, from Georgia. Name the sisters, their mother, and the two top ponies they showed to national honors. For extra credit, name which sister went on to show with G. Morris and her jr. horse.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fire Escape w/GM)
Helen Horner - Farnley Sir Roger (then Fire Escape w/G.M.)

Margaret Horner - Imari

mother, Lynn

showjump
Jan. 22, 2002, 10:05 PM
Bandit: Ian Miller then Christian Curry (It might have been his first GP horse) I'm very late with these answers, no internet for a few weeks. I just got the phone line installed in the camper.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lauriep
Jan. 23, 2002, 05:51 AM
Bandit was indeed Christian's first GP horse.

Here's one: what is the name of the horse that is the connection between Joey Darby and Ian Millar? The horse was such a favorite of Joey's that he came to Europe to watch him compete!

Laurie

SpartanVirtue
Jan. 23, 2002, 01:27 PM
Arrive Alive???

Shorty
Jan. 23, 2002, 02:46 PM
THE GIRLS' CLUB - WHO RODE THESE HORSES ? ?
Batman/New Addition -
Brenton Reef -
Moonlight Gambler -
Aldie Belle -
Cue Ball -

wtywmn4
Jan. 23, 2002, 04:53 PM
Brenton Reef- Terry Rudd

Alex Trebek
Jan. 23, 2002, 05:37 PM
Aldie Belle

Patty Heuckeroth

upperco
Jan. 23, 2002, 07:26 PM
New Addition Susan Schelkopf

lauriep
Jan. 24, 2002, 05:49 AM
on to other questions when there is still one on the table.

Joey Darby/Ian Millar horse connection?

I will volunteer to try and scroll through this whole monster this weekend and see if I can pick out the questions never answered, if I can find the time. It will be a project!

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jan. 24, 2002, 05:55 AM
lauriep,
Another suggestion is that if no one answers within a reasonable period (say 1/2 a day) - just give the answer and assume you've stumped the panel!

For the hunter set: grey horse owned by a/o rider, in the '70's, shown in the regulars with Don Stewart training, Katie riding. Hint: owner still showing in the a/o's.

lauriep
Jan. 25, 2002, 06:17 AM
*bump*! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Laurie

Alex Trebek
Jan. 25, 2002, 06:38 AM
I'll follow my own "suggested" rule lauriep: answer to mine (above):

Downing Street, Ann Watson

No clue to yours though: Balalaika?

lauriep
Jan. 25, 2002, 07:10 AM
The answer is Brother Sam! Joey had him early in his career and Sammy became a favorite of his. He came to Aachen in '78 to watch Ian compete on Sammy. I have a picture of Joey with Sam and if I EVER get a scanner, I'll post it!

Laurie

wtywmn4
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:08 AM
Thank you both for those answers. For the life of me, all I could remember was Plain Brown Wrapper! Talk about stuck...

Okay, NEEEEEEEXT????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

buryinghill1
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:23 AM
Came from what barn originally?
What was his registered name?
What was his first show name?
Who was his first owner on the "A" circuit?
Who was his last owner?

(just in case there are many PBW, I'm thinking of the junior hunter, chestnut, early 80s)

buryinghill2
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:28 AM
George Lindenmann had a horse called Plain Brown Wrapper, that did several divisions. His nickname was Brownie I think. That's about all I remember about him.

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:36 AM
The name that's coming to me is Don Stewart, but I don't know if that is the answer to any of those questions.

3.14...1865...Gulf of Mexico!

wtywmn4
Jan. 25, 2002, 08:51 AM
Sorry MHM, yes it is Don Stewart. I was alluding to the fact couldn't think of the other horse. That this one was stuck in my head.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MAD
Jan. 25, 2002, 10:44 AM
71 pages and over 1400 posts!

Alex Trebek
Jan. 25, 2002, 10:55 AM
71 pages and over 1400 posts!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why thank you, Miss Crawfish 2002!

867-5309
Jan. 25, 2002, 10:55 AM
What infamous "lady" (what he called her) and current eq guru was Seaweed the right hand man for over the course of many years? Hint: think cross-disciplines. Name her and/or the family.

This thread has gotten over 30K hits, what'll happen when it hits 100,000? Will it roll back over to 0 like a '70 Nova?

~Jonathan Mardukis~
Midnight Run

buryinghill1
Jan. 25, 2002, 11:40 AM
Came from what barn originally? FOX HILL FARMS, PLEASANTVILLE, NY
What was his registered name? (TB)PLAIN BROWN WRAPPER
What was his first show name? E.Q.
Who was his first owner on the "A" circuit? GEORGE LINDEMANN, JR.
Who was his last owner? DON STEWART, Jr.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 12:05 PM
Oh, my God, he came from Grenci's? Who had him there and when? I passed through there very briefly- maybe I knew him before he was famous.

Kennett Square
Jan. 25, 2002, 01:22 PM
Hate to tell ya Alex, but Ann Watson and Downing Street was also trained by Patty Hueckeroth for a bit too.....

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 02:15 PM
Name another famous hunter who was at Fox Hill early in his career before going on to two different well-known owners.

Bonus points: Barn name, famous owners' names, point of origin.

Ready...go!

buryinghill1
Jan. 25, 2002, 02:40 PM
I think it was Goodboy Dee. That's my wildcard guess. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 02:47 PM
Gah. Editing issues! Why can't I delete my double post?!

[This message was edited by MHM on Jan. 25, 2002 at 05:55 PM.]

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 02:51 PM
Guess again.

No clues this time, either. He's too famous and nobody follows my obscure trains of thought anyway.

P.S yd- check the lipstrap thread again.

buryinghill1
Jan. 25, 2002, 03:08 PM
and nobody follows my obscure trains of thought anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROFLMAO
Hmmm. Fox Hill Farms had one of Sidney Poitier's daughter's as a customer. I know no other trivia from there. WAIT! Is this a question about ME??? Gad zooks! This is scary. Sporty, Rascal, Sahara, ... I have a picture in my office of me at Fox Hill Farms! (mid 60s?) OK. I give up. Now, remember, you can't let this drag on for days or you'll get yer hoof slapped.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MHM
Jan. 25, 2002, 03:28 PM
The above post was not a clue. Repeat after me, NOT a clue.

OK, I'll relent and give a clue- era: mid 80s.

upperco
Jan. 26, 2002, 05:30 AM
Famous horse show managers?

upperco
Jan. 26, 2002, 05:31 AM
Famous stables?

wtywmn4
Jan. 26, 2002, 07:38 AM
Managers- Brian Flynn

stables- OxRidge, Fairfield County Hunt Club

Jaysee
Jan. 26, 2002, 04:38 PM
How about Pine Hill? Of course there's Wild Acres.... one of the best ever shows in NE was The Derby (I miss that one....)

Jaysee
Jan. 26, 2002, 04:39 PM
How about Pine Hill? Of course there's Saddle River and Wild Acres.... one of the best ever shows in NE was The Derby (I miss that one....)

Janet
Jan. 26, 2002, 08:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Fox Hill Farms had one of Sidney Poitier's daughter's as a customer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Anyone else remember the name of her horse?

equitationlane
Jan. 26, 2002, 08:25 PM
SIR

equitationlane
Jan. 26, 2002, 08:51 PM
That would be Poitier. But the horse was still SIR.

Kennett Square
Jan. 28, 2002, 05:58 AM
Was Sir the same horse that Liz Blatz had in the early 80's and showed in the A/O's?

867-5309
Jan. 28, 2002, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SunnySTRH:
What infamous "lady" (what he called her) and current eq guru was Seaweed the right hand man for over the course of many years? Hint: think cross-disciplines. Name her and/or the family.

ANYONE? going going.............Lauriep is over on "differences btwn now and then" giving the answer away-aha!

~Jonathan Mardukis~
Midnight Run

MHM
Jan. 28, 2002, 12:56 PM
Where are all our contestants today?

Don't tell me I'm going to have to figure out how to spell this horse's name so I can post the answer!

SEE YOU LATER

buryinghill1
Jan. 28, 2002, 12:59 PM
One of WEF announcers won the Florida Lottery.
11 million dollars.
Guess we won't see much of him anymore.

end of intermission /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MHM
Jan. 28, 2002, 01:06 PM
Was it KK? He'd better keep up T-heads, my subscription runs through April!

I wonder if they'll be one voice short on Wednesday. Luckily this would be a good week for it- fewer rings.

lauriep
Jan. 28, 2002, 01:07 PM
Think "Grand Prix ring."

Laurie

Jaysee
Jan. 28, 2002, 03:12 PM
I know I know... just saw it on the news... Good for him, and I bet he will keep showing up for work!!!!

MHM
Jan. 28, 2002, 04:22 PM
That's exactly what I said on the other thread! He may just come to work in a fancier car now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wtywmn4
Jan. 28, 2002, 04:56 PM
Good for him!! And congratulations. Glad to hear someone you sorta know is winning. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Actually, we do have a few people who have won lotteries in other states that still keep doing their same ole job. Love it!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

867-5309
Jan. 28, 2002, 05:18 PM
Seaweed worked for Jan Lukens of Ravena NY. Jan is daughter of Maynard Casler (Misty Hills in Troy NY). Seaweed never called her by name, just refered to her as "the lady" or just "lady". Had a cig and a chat w/Jan's good groom at the Big E and SW is doing well!

"Holy cross disciplines in a handbasket, Batman!" on PD winning the lotto. He announces at our W. Championships and manages our nice spring premiere show.

S.

~Jonathan Mardukis~
Midnight Run

showjump
Jan. 28, 2002, 11:16 PM
Speaking of Seaweed, I just saw him today in Gulfport.

upperco
Jan. 29, 2002, 04:03 AM
In the discussion at the recent VHSA judges clinic it was mentioned the Kenny Wheeler had Ruxton, Who bred Ruxton? Who was the first rider? First trainer? Who sold him to the Wheelers? Who rode him at Wheelers? Who bought him from Wheelers and eventually retired him?

Alex Trebek
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by upperco:
In the discussion at the recent VHSA judges clinic it was mentioned the Kenny Wheeler had Ruxton, Who bred Ruxton? Who was the first rider? First trainer? Who sold him to the Wheelers? Who rode him at Wheelers? Who bought him from Wheelers and eventually retired him?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can only answer part: Eve Baskowitz had him w/the Wheelers; she showed him in the a/o's and Charlie in the pro divisions.

Molly99
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:45 AM
Ruxton:

first Trainer: Jack Stedding
first rider: bobbie (stedding) gibbons
retired: Ellen Van dyke??? I think she was the last to have him, but not 10% on that one.

NinaL aka Chrissy
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:54 AM
Who bred him: Al Steiert (by Hannovarian stallion named Abundance out of TB mare named Nobody Much).

Who rode him first: Maryanne Steiert.

Who bought him from the Wheelers and retired him: Ellen Van Dyke.

One of the vets I worked for grew up at Al's farm. She saw Ruxton at the end of his career with Ellen Van Dyke at MSG. She was amused by old Ruxton doing the A/O division because she remembered him from his early (and not very easy) days.

Nina

MHM
Jan. 29, 2002, 03:27 PM
Name another famous hunter who was at Fox Hill early in his career before going on to two different well-known owners.

Bonus points: Barn name, famous owners' names, point of origin.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alrighty then:

Arrivederci, aka Ciao, came from Ellie Lordi to Fox Hill in '84. He went on to win all over the place for the Lindners, then for Jane Clark.

Next?

wtywmn4
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:18 PM
What fractious Jr Hunter in the Hunterdon string, was accidently shot in the leg? Name the show, year and who was showing...

You all should get this one, may be waaaaay too easy.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MBS
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:25 PM
That one was already answered. I think this thread is getting too long we are starting to repeat the questions.

Shorty
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:28 PM
WHICH rider won the Equitation Over Fences at the Hunter/Equitation Judges Clinic today in West Palm Beach ? Hint second year in a row.
WHICH very wealthy announcer was in The Tower to announce the Afternoon session ?

Weatherford
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:32 PM
Karen MacKelvey's Rainforest. Rode with George, et al. Happened at Lake Placid, 1985 or thereabouts.

(It was discussed on the PV thread, not here...)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 29, 2002, 05:37 PM
Today's clinic is NEW news, not old /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Unless it was an OLD rider who won! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Half of what PETER won goes to the IRS.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

wtywmn4
Jan. 29, 2002, 06:05 PM
Well, we can dig even deeper..MB. Sorry bought the repea. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Okay here's a question. What years would you like a question about??

lauriep
Jan. 29, 2002, 06:11 PM
is for the 70s-80s, with occasional lapses BACKWARDS to the 60s, but not forward.

Also, Emmet is having modem trouble, which is why we haven't heard from her. Think positive thoughts for her 'puter so she can rejoin us.

Laurie

upperco
Jan. 29, 2002, 09:22 PM
yes on Ruxton Al Steiert Maryann Ellen Van Dyke First trainer?

SpartanVirtue
Jan. 30, 2002, 09:07 AM
WEF Judge's Clinic O/F winner last year: McLain

buryinghill1
Jan. 30, 2002, 09:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MB Stark: I think this thread is getting too long we are starting to repeat the questions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1.Size doesn't matter.
2.One advantage of being "old" is the young'uns forgive us for repeating ourselves repeating ourselves.

Let's do some more "who rode..."
Medrano
Threes and Sevens
Sedac
I Love You
Liran
PS Gazpacho
Janus de Ver
Zulu
Thouar
Eratosthenes (spelling?)

buryinghill2
Jan. 30, 2002, 10:15 AM
Threes and Sevens: From the Leones to George Lindemann.
Sedac: This was the horse we called Sprout. He came from Micheal Matz to Leslie. Leslie couldn't get along with him, so he ended up with Barney Ward. I think he was horse of the year twice with Barney. Cheryl took care of him at Fairfield.

Tackpud
Jan. 30, 2002, 10:23 AM
Medrano - Bezzie Patton Madden

nutmeg
Jan. 30, 2002, 10:27 AM
Beats the heck out of me!

But here are some guesses on the others:
Medrano - Anne Kursinski & ?
I Love You - Norman Delojo, Big George & Little
George
Liran - Michael Matz (HOT)
PS Gazpacho - Terry Rudd
Janus du Ver - Louis Jacobs
Zulu ??? Hap?

lauriep
Jan. 30, 2002, 11:18 AM
Medrano - Pam Brewster, Joe Fargis
3's and 7's - Peter Leone
I Love You - Norman dello Joio

Laurie

Janet
Jan. 30, 2002, 11:38 AM
I remember Erasthones (sp?), though I don't remember who rode him. BIIIG horse. But they were based out of Sunnyfield at the time.

lauriep
Jan. 30, 2002, 11:44 AM
Butch Thomas?

Laurie

buryinghill2
Jan. 30, 2002, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
I remember Erasthones (sp?), though I don't remember who rode him. BIIIG horse. But they were based out of Sunnyfield at the time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Not while I was there. Do you know about this yd?

Janet
Jan. 30, 2002, 12:12 PM
I take it back. The horse I was thinking of was Alcibiades (sp?)(the Greek name for Hercules, anyway).

It is all Greek to me!

buryinghill1
Jan. 30, 2002, 12:44 PM
Medrano - yes; Threes and Sevens - yes; Sedac - yes; I Love You - yes; Liran -yes; PS Gazpacho - yes and Jennifer Clarkson; Janus de Ver - yes (remember his big win in Germany??); Zulu - yes;
Thouar - ah ha! gotcha - Norman Dello Joio;
Erastosthenes - my brain remembers Butch (apologies if my grey matter is old). Huge stallion, won Lake Placid GP.

lauriep
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:19 PM
That is where my memory is from, too, yd.

Finally, a cruise ticket ALLLLLL my own!!!

Laurie

lauriep
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:23 PM
here are some more:

Hole In One
Jet Lag
Pueblo (two riders)
Prime Time (extra credit- five riders!)
Radnor II
Bean Bag
Gucci
The Crimson Tide
Silver Exchange (two riders)
Silver Skates

Extra, EXTRA credit for naming the owners!

Laurie

buryinghill1
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:23 PM
WAIT! WAIT! I forgot to correct Nutmeg.
I Love You was ridden by NDJ and then GLL, Jr. (who I don't think got past schooling jumpers with said horse!).
GLL, Sr. did not ride. Just wrote checks.
Sorry Nutmeg. You'll have to buy the next round o' drinks.

buryinghill1
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:27 PM
Hole In One - that Texas kid.
Pueblo (two riders) - Conrad, Joe?
Radnor II - Mel
Bean Bag - Shaffner
Gucci - Bernie
Silver Exchange (two riders) - KM -
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My brain is tired. I quit.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

MHM
Jan. 30, 2002, 01:56 PM
I was going to say rider/Katie, owner/Harry Gill.

Silver Exchange- 2nd rider- Joan S?

MAD
Jan. 30, 2002, 02:10 PM
Hole In One - that Texas kid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure his name was William Martin.

smc
Jan. 30, 2002, 02:12 PM
hee hee had a crush on that texas kid!

nutmeg
Jan. 30, 2002, 03:05 PM
Although this could be equally wrong! I was thinking that George Mmorrisss had flung a leg over I Love You. (While he was coaching Little G). They had a great story in last year's L'Annee Hippique about the chateau in France where I Love You is spending his dotage getting even more senile than me.

Jaysee
Jan. 30, 2002, 05:08 PM
Didn't Pam Duffy have Medrano also?

Jaysee
Jan. 30, 2002, 05:12 PM
Here are some 80's GP horses that had more than one rider... can you name the riders??

Maybe
Nataal
Manuel

(this is too easy... )

Jaysee
Jan. 30, 2002, 05:14 PM
Let's add Allegro to the list too!!!

upperco
Jan. 30, 2002, 08:14 PM
here's the trail of Allegro Came from Dale Theil,to Nora Cook,Jimmy Lee David Hopper to Norman to Jacobs

buryinghill1
Jan. 31, 2002, 06:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by upperco: here's the trail of Allegro Came from Dale Theil,to Nora Cook,Jimmy Lee David Hopper to Norman to Jacobs<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last day of January Trivia: NO TAKERS.
What was Allegro's nickname? WALTER
What was his first big win with NDJ? AMER.INVIT.
Who was his "best friend?" JOHNNYS POCKET

First to answer all 3 right - I'll buy you a TICKET at STAR LIQUORS!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
HAHA. I'LL GET MY OWN>

[This message was edited by yd on Jan. 31, 2002 at 02:49 PM.]

lauriep
Jan. 31, 2002, 06:02 AM
Not one on Prime Time yet!

I'll post the answers shortly if there are no more guesses!

Laurie

NinaL aka Chrissy
Jan. 31, 2002, 06:15 AM
I am 100% sure on Buddy Brown and I think Terry Rudd was another one of Prime Time's riders but I cannot remember the rest.

Does this buy me 2/5 of a seat on the cruise ship if 2 out 5 answers are correct?

Nina

Jaysee
Jan. 31, 2002, 02:55 PM
YD... I looked after Walter when Louie got him... I have a great picture of him (somewhere) at the IJD on the table .. upside down all 4 legs in the air... dunno where Louie went!!! As I recall, they were both fine.. crazy lil' Walter.....

nutmeg
Jan. 31, 2002, 05:05 PM
Not so fast on that lotto ticket. Allegro's full nickname was Walter the Four Faulter. His other best friend was Sasquatch (love is blind).

lauriep
Feb. 1, 2002, 04:08 AM
Hole in One - William Martin
Pueblo - Conrad, Brendan Damon
Radnor II - Melanie
Bean Bag - Buddy, Katie
Gucci - Bernie
The Crimson Tide - Melanie
Silver Exchange - Katie, Joan Scharffenberger
Silver Skates - Katie
Prime Time - Buddy, Rodney, Terry, Bernie Traurig, Amy Brumder Traurig

Funny you should remember Terry, as she only rode PT in FL at one Tampa show and then the Invitational, as Rodney had Dutch Crown to ride that year.
Laurie

buryinghill1
Feb. 1, 2002, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nutmeg: Not so fast on that lotto ticket. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And... Walter's other "real name" was LittleWalt
Aside to nutmeg-- I have a horse now whose physique is very close to Squatch! But very WIDE!

buryinghill1
Feb. 1, 2002, 06:09 AM
Who rode Mr Bar Doo Too? (open speed)
Who trained him?
I would ask who owned him, but I forgot /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

[This message was edited by yd on Feb. 01, 2002 at 11:04 AM.]

buryinghill2
Feb. 1, 2002, 06:18 AM
Did Debbie Malloy have him? A guess.

NinaL aka Chrissy
Feb. 1, 2002, 06:31 AM

Funny you should remember Terry, as she only rode PT in FL at one Tampa show and then the Invitational, as Rodney had Dutch Crown to ride that year.
Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I read Prime Time I somehow remembered a picture of Terry with Prime Time (can you tell I am a visual person?). Totally forgot the Traurig connection until you brought it up.

Nina

buryinghill1
Feb. 1, 2002, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...posted by Abby: Debbie Malloy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAD
Feb. 1, 2002, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Who rode Mr Bar Doo Too? (open speed)
Who trained him?
I would ask who owned him, but I forgot <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jimmy Kingery! Jimmy, Alice and Hans used to go at it in the Junior Jumpers. Judy Richter and Ellen R. Lordi trained him, I think. His parents (they owned Rye Ford) owned him.

buryinghill1
Feb. 1, 2002, 11:19 AM
Amazing. Now, if I only had $11M to give you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
$8,090,000 after taxes /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
For those who don't know the names... the riders were- Jimmy, Alice Debany, Hans Richter (son of Judy R) and Ellen Raidt-Lordi.

NEXXXXXT?

MAD
Feb. 4, 2002, 10:49 AM
Can't believe I had to call back to the barn for this thread. LOL.

buryinghill1
Feb. 4, 2002, 11:26 AM
So, hows about a MAD question? Abby? Alex? Schmoe? Shorty? Emmet (ask Peter D to buy you a modem)? Princess? VT? Lauriep? MHM?...
For all of you walking encyclopedias of useless horse show trivia...
Come ON. It's Monday! The equines are snuggled in their beds (with visions of flax seed in their heads /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )...
Snap to it! We don't want to get out the bamboo do we /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

MHM
Feb. 4, 2002, 11:29 AM
What rider has been champion the most times at the National Horse Show (Garden/Meadowlands) in the junior hunter divisions?

P.S. I have the story of the world's funniest barn call if anyone wants to hear it.

buryinghill1
Feb. 4, 2002, 11:34 AM
Susie Schoellkopf

P.S. Barn call story, please /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lauriep
Feb. 4, 2002, 11:36 AM
What renowned owner of show jumpers:
1) has a gorgeous former TB farm outside of Philly;
2) went from owning h/j to dressage;
3) had a very famous racehorse live out his days on the farm;
4) and really started the European import thing?

Also, name the farm, racehorse family the owner is descended from, the famous racehorse and the European import.

That ought to keep you busy!

Laurie

MHM
Feb. 4, 2002, 11:37 AM
That was fast! How many times was she champion? I was thinking of someone else, but I forgot about SS.

Barn call- many years ago at WEF, I was working for a barn with about 25 horses there. At 7:45 AM on a Wednesday, we heard KK over the loudspeaker, "C, we need KJ to the ring for the model! Right away, please!" 2 minutes later, same call, but louder. Then, "We need KJ for the model, he's our third horse, bring him on up!"

So I went around the corner to see what was up. There's KJ, in his stall, braided, napping, still wrapped, the groom nowhere in sight. We pulled him out, yanked the wraps off, no poultice thank God, threw his bridle on, and I set off for the grand hunter ring.

One problem- the horse walks like a constipated turtle. Will not hurry. At. All. If I had known, I would have ridden him up, but I had no idea. So now it's 8:07, KK is yelling over the PA, and I'm asking people the smack the horse's butt as I go by them.

Finally I get to the home stretch, and as I DRAG this horse past the tower ring, KK says over the PA, "We should be underway in the regular model momentarily- it looks like our final entry is making his reluctant way up to the ring." Thanks, Kenny!

Needless to say, when I got to the ring, the trainer started yelling at me for being tardy. I politely informed him that the horse's groom was slightly AWOL, and if not for me the horse would still be in his stall fast asleep. This was as I was gasping for breath after rushing the whole way.

Years later, I can laugh, but at that moment, I wanted to jump in that alligator pond by the hunter ring.

[This message was edited by MHM on Feb. 04, 2002 at 03:03 PM.]

buryinghill1
Feb. 4, 2002, 12:01 PM
F.Eugene Dixon, Jr.
Erdenheim Farm
Famous Racehorse? I'll say Kelso...

MHM. I have NO idea. How about Marley G? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Great story! I hope the critter wasn't GREY!
Poultice while showing? No problem. Abby has a story about THAT!

lauriep
Feb. 4, 2002, 12:11 PM
on owner and farm name. However, she falls off the winner wagon with Kelso...

Anyone else want to take a stab at racehorse family name, famous racehorse, and European import?

Laurie

MHM
Feb. 4, 2002, 12:12 PM
Marley was the one I was thinking of- 5-6 times with the chestnut in the smalls, at least 1-2 times in the larges. I believe she was about 10 years old the first time!

The horse was bay, luckily, or it never would have worked. The worst part to me (and now the funniest), was KK's play-by-play of my progress. That was extremely embarrassing!!!

I also have a story of poultice and a model, but I've blocked it out- it's too painful! Then there's another story about poultice at the World Cup, but that one's even more painful!

buryinghill1
Feb. 4, 2002, 12:48 PM
the famous racehorse and the European import.
Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
TB- I even SAW that damn horse! Geeez...
Import- Radnor

buryinghill2
Feb. 4, 2002, 12:55 PM
It's amazing how many stories there are about last minute preparations. Finals horses that were lame at the last minute, on the truck, unbraided before the jog, all the things that mean that dreaded race to wash off poultice, braid, and brush off shavings, with ten people running around. I am always amazed that a horse can stand so well with ten panic stricken people doing everything at once. I once helped braid a mane with two other people. One braiding from each end, one pulling up and tying down.
We had a second year horse at FCHC, that was in the wash rack at Harrisburg, completely soaked down, including braids when the hack was called into the ring. (JB grooming) We tacked him up in the wash rack and got to the ring!

lauriep
Feb. 4, 2002, 01:02 PM
Racehorse: Jaipur
Family name: Whitney
Import: Grande

You're so damned good on most of them, it is OK to miss one now and then! And you got the main part of the question.

Can you think of many imports earlier than Grande? And I mean European, not the occasional Argentinian (hint) or Mexican that crossed our southern border!

Laurie

MHM
Feb. 4, 2002, 01:10 PM
I think the horses usually stand still because they're afraid to move in that whirling crowd. Actually, the good ones just know somehow!

buryinghill1
Feb. 4, 2002, 02:33 PM
Can you think of many imports earlier than Grande? And I mean European, not the occasional Argentinian ... Laurie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Imports from the past - Bert DeNemethy (HUN); MacCone (oh! he was an EXPORT!:eek:); Balbuco (ARG) (hint); Karen Golding (GBR); Dennis Mackenzie /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

How about this question?
How many strides down the last line at the 1984 Olympic games?

(just kidding)

Until tomorrow... On what horse did Katherine Burdsall win the Baltimore Grand Prix? (1984) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wtywmn4
Feb. 4, 2002, 05:07 PM
The Natural????

Shorty
Feb. 4, 2002, 05:13 PM
TRICK QUESTION !!
The pretty farm, Philadelphia area, etc...
Fitz never rode ( he taught school ), daughter Ellen did...
Family name is Widener, not Whitney.

Shorty
Feb. 4, 2002, 05:20 PM
OLDIES BUT GOODIES...
Name the following -
Oldest Steward.
Oldest Water Jump Judge.
Oldest Horse Show Manager (Emeritus)
Oldest U. S. Horse to win a Major GranPrix.
Oldest U.S. Rider to win a GranPrix.