PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Auto Waterer

ASC
May. 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
I have two frost-free pumps -- one in the fence line and always in the sun, the other adjacent to the barn and always in the shade. I never use the sunny water pump because it's too hot to stand in the sun for baths and a water tank placed there heats up too quickly. I'd like to use the shady pump as a dedicated wash rack, so I was thinking of installing an auto waterer at the sunny location. Using something like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Animal-Hydration-5-Gallon-Automatic/dp/B00292BLYG/ref=zg_bs_2975355011_70

Plus a drinking safe hose shortened to just long enough. I have one horse who is hard on everything (loves to tip water tub on hottest days!) plus I have above average water pressure which is hard on hoses. Does this set up have any chance of working for more than a week? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!

shakeytails
May. 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
I haven't gotten around to it, but I was thinking about doing the same thing for my "heifers" that like to dump the tank. A friend of mine had one set up for her horses in the pasture, and it held up fine and worked just dandy.

Frank B
May. 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
I assume you mean frost-free hydrants instead of pumps.

Does your main water line have a pressure reducer/regulator valve? If so, it's easy to adjust. If not, one is easy to install.

bird4416
May. 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
I've used those for years and they work pretty well. Occasionally, hubby has to work on them because when I clean them the float valve will flip and you have to take them apart a little to put it back in place. Not a big deal but a bit of a pain.

oldpony66
May. 23, 2012, 05:03 PM
At my former house, we had one exactly like that and it held up quite well. We lived in a very warm climate so freezing was never an issue, and having only a small amount of water available meant cool water instead of hot water like in the big black trough. But yeah, it was a lot cleaner since we had a few 'bathers".

ASC
May. 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yes, frost-free hydrant. I guess pump and hydrant aren't interchangeable?! My mistake. Will look into pressure-reducing valve if this blows up immediately. I did buy a stainless steel washing machine hose to use instead of a standard garden hose. Climate is moderate, but this will only be used during warm months. Have a big heated water bucket for cold months when taking baths isn't happening. Thanks for the replies!

Frank B
May. 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
Excess water pressure is rough on just about any type of valve such as in dishwashers, washing machines, toilets, ice makers, and faucets. They can also cause pipes to rupture, especially if they are PVC.

This is what a pressure reducing valve looks like. (http://www.watts.com/images/aux_images/learnabouts/reducingvalves/25AUB.jpg) The last time I bought one, it was about $75.